Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-14-2021, 01:35 AM   #1
Mr.CheesyFondue
n00b

Problems on Defense

I've put in roughly 60 total hours in the game since purchasing last month. While I have found success using some of Corbes' playbooks and gameplans on offense my defense has not been very successful.

I have managed to put together a good D-Line that can generate pressure and stop inside runs. However my linebackers have struggled to make an impact on the game and my secondary is more of a liability in coverage than Bashaud Breeland.

While I don't have supreme talent in the secondary or with my linebacker core they should be at least playing at league average levels. So my assumption is my defensive system and game plans are hindering my team. So far I've let the AI set my defensive personnel and game plan for every game.

What are some steps I should take to hopefully breathe some new life into my defense?

Mr.CheesyFondue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 02:27 PM   #2
Dawgfan19
High School JV

First, don't let the AI set your defensive GP. Second, decide what type of pass scheme you prefer. Let's use press coverage as an example. Third, build a defense to fit that scheme (CBs with big BnR bars for the press). This technique also helps with cap management as these system players normally do not cost as much as pro-bowl studs. I prefer playing an attacking 34 defense with a lot of blitzing on 1st and 2nd downs as well as buzz plays when anticipating a run. Further, I don't play a lot of cover-4. Others can weigh in if an attack style defense is effective from a 43 front.
Dawgfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 04:11 PM   #3
Mr.CheesyFondue
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan19 View Post
First, don't let the AI set your defensive GP. Second, decide what type of pass scheme you prefer. Let's use press coverage as an example. Third, build a defense to fit that scheme (CBs with big BnR bars for the press). This technique also helps with cap management as these system players normally do not cost as much as pro-bowl studs. I prefer playing an attacking 34 defense with a lot of blitzing on 1st and 2nd downs as well as buzz plays when anticipating a run. Further, I don't play a lot of cover-4. Others can weigh in if an attack style defense is effective from a 43 front.
Besides targeting corners that fit what my defensive scheme is whether that's press, zone or man. What else should I be looking at when developing my defense?
Mr.CheesyFondue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 07:12 PM   #4
Murph
n00b

Not many will agree with me, but I'll let you test for yourself.

I've found one thing that really helps my defense be more successful is running the ball more often on offense. You still need mostly balance, but if you can crank up your run percentage to the 50%-55% range, and run consistently (average 4+ YPC for the team)... your defensive numbers will suddenly get better.

What I'd do to test is set up a test game. So, just open your game at the beginning of a season, and save it as a testing game. Then, run the same season 10 times, or 20, or 50, or 100... whatever you are comfortable with.... Then change only the offensive game plan to more running, and do it again. You'll see several changes to your stats, including but not limited to, less turnovers on offense, better 3rd down conversion, and better numbers across the board on defense.

I did a test across 15+ seasons at this point with a 100% run offense (the game will throw the ball in late game situations when you are behind, but you can minimize it), and I've been a top 10 defense every season... without great players or a great defensive gameplan. I just use 100% Cover 2.

Just my two cents for what it's worth... just remember to try before you buy.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:53 PM   #5
ronm613
n00b

As mentioned, running more works for the same reason it does in real life, you
are eating clock and minimizing the opponents time on O.
Also I, too, follow the idea of building the D roster to your preferred D
scheme...which does not JUST include cb..I put for example good zone
coverage LBs into sets where I will run cover-2 or Tampa-2..usually my long
yardage D...on "normal" downs and on the GL, I play almost enirely Press or M2M, so both CBs, at least 2 LBs, and SS in those formations have high BR,MM...and I try to keep at least LBs with high play diagnosis bars.

Lastly, it helps a lot to either read the scouting report each week, or use the film room to look at the opponent tendencies a bit, especially from the less common O formations.
ronm613 is offline   Reply With Quote