Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2004, 06:29 PM   #1
digamma
Torchbearer

My Torchbearing Dynasty

As most of you know, I was selected to be a torch bearer for the 2004 Olympic Games Torch Relay.

Here was the original thread about the torch relay:
http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...hlight=digamma

The run through Los Angeles is this Wednesday. I wanted to record my thoughts leading up to, during and after the relay--and what better place than the FOFC dynasty board.

Here goes...

digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 06:39 PM   #2
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2004, 06:41 PM   #3
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Rock on, digamma. Have fun and watch out for the LA traffic.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:42 PM   #4
Blade6119
Coordinator

Best of wishes buddy, and im sure they would both be soo proud of you!
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 06:53 PM   #5
digamma
Torchbearer

March 22, 2004

I got into work early after a long weekend in Las Vegas for March Madness with my brother Eddie. As expected, I had a ton of unread e-mails that my blackberry failed to receive from Friday and the weekend. One caught my eye:

To:
cc:
Subject: Congratulations Torch Runners!

On behalf of the ATHENS 2004 Organising Committee for the Olympic Games, the United States Olympic Committee and the city of Los Angeles, it is our pleasure to inform you that you have been selected by local judges representing your community as a potential torchbearer to be honoured in the Olympic Torch Relay. We would like to invite you to help pass the flame and unite the world. Congratulations!

Attached you will find five documents. An official letter of congratulations, a personal information form, an agreement and waiver document, Torch Runner rules and regulations sheet, and a frequently asked questions document.

A hard copy of all documents enclosed will be sent to you in the mail but It is VERY IMPORTANT that you return to us via e-mail, mail or fax the personal information form and the agreement and waiver document AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

If you have any questions or problems, please call the Torch Relay line at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

xxxx

Event Coordinator
US Olympic Committee

Obviously, I was thrilled by this news. I remembered my wrestling coach (Coach Winterstein) mentioning to me, in passing, when I said good bye to him upon my return to Los Angeles a couple of days after the funeral for my dad and brother, that he had seen an ad in the Atlanta paper regarding nominations for the torch relay and that he would like to nominate me. At the time, I told him I was flattered, but I didn't think much more of it.

I forwarded the e-mail to my wife, and then made a call to the Torch Relay Coordinator. I wanted to confirm that I would be running in Los Angeles, and not Atlanta. Truthfully, I wanted to run in Atlanta, because I thought it would be more meaningful for others touched by the tragedy. She informed me that I had indeed been selected to run in Los Angeles and that there was no way to transfer locations. I was a little bit bummed, but in reality nothing could take away from the high of the moment.

I filled out the requisite paperwork, including signing a non-disclosure agreement, in which I promised not to tell those outside my immediate family until after the USOC issued a formal press release announcing the torchbearer selections (which I was told would happen in early May).

I immediately broke my NDA, by calling Coach Winterstein. After all, he had been my high school wrestling coach, was my dad's best friend, had spoken at the funeral and had nominated me for the freakin' honor. If that didn't qualify as immediate family, I didn't know what did. He was thrilled as well.

I called my family next. All were similarly touched and excited, with maybe one exception. I had to leave a message on my sister's voice mail, and in my message I mentioned that I had some big news. When she returned my call, she got my voice mail as well. Her message said that she had a feeling she knew what my news was and that she was excited to be an aunt, if she was right. When we finally touched base I had to gently let her down on the baby front. She was, of course, excited by the real news, but I think she was still touch disappointed at the baby bubble being burst.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:02 PM   #6
digamma
Torchbearer

May 7, 2004

The USOC finally issues its press release announcing its selections for the torch relay. They had been scheduled to issue it on May 5, in connection with the 100 days until the games celebration in Athens. Some torch news did trickle out on the 5th, namely that Jennifer Anniston and Pele and a few other celebrities would be torchbearers. The city of Atlanta also had a press conference announcing its torchbearers. But, nothing from the USOC and nothing from Los Angeles.

The 5th also happened to be a night I had to pull an all-nighter at work. I passed the time sitting at the financial printer, waiting on pages of an offering memorandum to be turned, by pressing refresh on my browser and hoping to see a press release come up. No such luck.

Finally, on May 7, the press release is issued. I spam my friends and colleagues with the good news.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:08 PM   #7
digamma
Torchbearer

June 8, 2004

I am starting to get anxious. I'm fending off questions from friends and relatives like crazy. "Do you know anymore about the torch?" "I'm trying to take off work. What can you tell me about it?" My answer is the same. I really don't know much other than the date, and that I'll be somewhere in Los Angeles.

I know the torch started its global route on June 4 in Australia. I can tell them that much. I also know the original paperwork from the USOC said I'd find out more information the week before the relay. Well...it's getting to be about that time.

I find in my mailbox an invitation from Mayor Jim Hahn to a reception on Tuesday the 15th, honoring torchbearers at the LA Coliseum. Not exactly all of the information I wanted, but it's a start.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:32 PM   #8
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I think it's amazing what you are doing to honor your brother and father. I am good friends with the Waddells (Ruth is one of my bridesmaids and their daughter Nikki is our flower girl), and I know they are going to be really touched when I tell them what you are doing. I was very new to the board when everything happened, and I know radii mentioned that I knew the police officer and his family, but I wanted to tell you myself how much I admire you and your entire family for having such dignity and grace during everything. Good luck with your run on Wednesday! I hope you'll be able to post some pictures!
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:21 PM   #9
digamma
Torchbearer

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.

June 9, 2004

I received a somewhat confusing e-mail from the Torch Relay coordinator informing the meeting place for my torch segment was incorrect in my letter regarding the relay and identifying the correct location. The only problem was that I still hadn't received my letter.

I got home to find a UPS package with the letter inside. The letter provided my meeting location prior to the run, the exact coordinates of my relay leg and the time of my leg. I would have to be dropped off at the meeting point at 1:00PM on the 16th. My leg would actually start at 3:20 PM. My leg would take the torch from just east of Vermont Ave. on Exposition Blvd. westward. I would turn right onto Menlo and into the LA Coliseum complex (i.e., parking lot), where I would hand off the flame to the next runner.

I think I scored a big one with my leg location. I'll be very close to USC and in the shadow of the Coliseum where 2 past Olympics have been held.

Oh yeah, the letter also tells me I can purchase my torch following the run.

Last edited by digamma : 06-15-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:32 PM   #10
digamma
Torchbearer

June 10, 2004

I get an e-mail from the Torch Coordinator with an invitation to the Dodgers game on Wednesday night for the Los Angeles Torch Relay Closing Ceremonies. Sounds like a great way to end the day.

I also double back to check my previous e-mail regarding the meeting spot for my shuttle bus to the torch run. In looking at the e-mail, I start looking up the other addresses of those who will be riding my shuttle bus, and presumably running before or after me (or in some close proximity).

Google tells me the following about my fellow bus-mates:

Anita DeFrantz--president of the Amateur Athletic Foundation, bronze medalist at the 1976 Olympics in crew and member of the IOC.

Sammy Lee--the first Asian-American Olympic Gold Medalist, a two-time gold medalist in 1948.

Brittney Chamberlain--a high school rodeo star from Layton, Utah.

Bruce Furniss--a two time gold medalist and all american swimmer from USC.

Not a bad crowd.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:37 PM   #11
digamma
Torchbearer

June 12, 2004

The city of Los Angeles finally issues its press release regarding the torch relay...the release is dated May 12, but they never put it out there. Strange.

You can find it here:
http://www.lacity.org/mayor/oldpress...4_06112004.pdf

The first of my family started arriving today. It will be a crowded house in our small two-bedroom abode.

My sister and my step-mother arrived today, both thrilled to be in Los Angeles for the first time. We gave them a nice driving tour before heading out to grab sushi for dinner. It is great to have them in town first.

My step-sister will arrive on Monday, followed by my Mom on Tuesday. My step-brother gets into town late Tuesday night followed by my step-father on Wednesday.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:49 PM   #12
thealmighty
Pro Starter

I might have missed it (wouldn't be the first time), but how far do you get to jog with the torch?
Old 06-16-2004, 03:02 AM   #13
digamma
Torchbearer

thealmighty: about a quarter of a mile.

June 15, 2004

I went to the official torchbearer's reception tonight. It was at the Coliseum. I recognized Rafer Johnson immediately and a couple of other past Olympians. I picked up my official torchbearer uniform and pre-purchased the torch I'll be carrying. The uniform is all white, with the Athens logo on the shirt.

There was a short program hosted by one of the local sports anchors. He introduced Rafer Johnson to say a few words. Rafer talked about remembering the night before the 1984 Games, where he was the final torchbearer and lit the cauldron at the Coliseum. One of his thoughts prior to lighting the cauldron was how many people had passed the flame onto him. Great speech, overall.

Then they introduced the special guest for the evening, Sylvester Stallone, who will start the Los Angeles leg tomorrow morning in Venice Beach. He gave a really bad speech and hurried off, posing for no pictures and signing no autographs.

I wore a button that a woman at Tucker had given me that had a picture of my dad and brother, with the label "Tucker's Heroes" on it. I got a few comments on the button. Unfortunately, I won't be able to wear it tomorrow, as only Athens approved gear may be worn. Nevertheless, the run will be for them.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:27 AM   #14
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Will be there in spirit, today, like promised.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:46 AM   #15
digamma
Torchbearer

June 16

Torch day is here:

http://www.nbc4.tv/sports/3424459/detail.html
Old 06-16-2004, 10:18 AM   #16
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

How cool is this? Go, my FOFC brother!
Old 06-16-2004, 10:35 AM   #17
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Good luck!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:04 PM   #18
John Galt
Pro Starter

Good luck!
Old 06-16-2004, 01:53 PM   #19
digamma
Torchbearer

I am heading out the door to my meeting spot.

There is a live feed of the relay on www.knbc.com

Not that you can recognize me, but I'm scheduled to run at 3:20 Pacific. I have a buzz cut.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:05 PM   #20
JeeberD
General Manager

Best of luck to you!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 04:14 PM   #21
JeeberD
General Manager

Grrr...the only thing that KNBC's website is showing right how is a test signal...

Old 06-16-2004, 04:40 PM   #22
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
I have a buzz cut.

So, we're looking for this guy:

Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 05:22 PM   #23
JeeberD
General Manager

Woot! The feed is working now!

Hmmm...currently a really old dude on right now. Hope I didn't miss 'gamma...

Old 06-17-2004, 12:58 PM   #24
digamma
Torchbearer

Work is tearing me up today, so more later. In a word, though, awesome.

Here is a picture from the KNBC feed....

Old 06-17-2004, 01:06 PM   #25
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

*cue Olympic theme*

Very cool!
Old 06-17-2004, 02:43 PM   #26
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Very cool.

I wish they ran it around the entire country, but I guess you would have to start it 4 years in advance to do that for every country that wanted it. And God knows I'm not going to St Louise to go see it. I remember watching it in 1996 when it came through Houston. Still have pictures of going to see it.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 03:12 PM   #27
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
And God knows I'm not going to St Louise to go see it.
Where is St. Louise?
Old 06-17-2004, 03:34 PM   #28
Radii
Head Coach

East St Louis perhaps? The simpsons talk down on that part of St Louis.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 03:38 PM   #29
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Where is St. Louise?
Where asshole Cardinal fans live but I suppose that's redundant ("asshole" and "Cardinal fans", I mean)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-17-2004 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:02 PM   #30
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Where asshole Cardinal fans live but I suppose that's redundant ("asshole" and "Cardinal fans", I mean)

SI

38-27! Best record in the NL and 2nd best in baseball.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 04:12 PM   #31
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Yep, and you might even say we're really rolen'

*ducks*
Old 06-17-2004, 04:21 PM   #32
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Let's put it this way. Last year, when I yelled at the obnoxious drunken White Sox fan that "You're acting like a Cardinals fan", even he shut up for three innings.

SI

Old 06-17-2004, 04:46 PM   #33
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

/end baseball threadjack

Awesome digamma.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 05:23 PM   #34
digamma
Torchbearer

Since the torch is in St. Louis today, I think the tangent above is wholly appropriate...

Now own with the regularly scheduled dynasty report:

June 16, 2004

I left my house at around 12:15 to get to the Amateur Athletic Foundation for my short orientation and to meet my shuttle bus. I left a bit early because I knew I would have to cross the torch route on the way, and didn't want to be halted by traffic.

Once there, I checked in with the torch coordinator for out time period. Runners 92-109 would be on our shuttle bus. I was runner number 101. Everyone mingled around and greeted one another for a while.

I made sure to meet the two other runners I would be "in between" on the relay. Runner 100, who would be passing me the flame, was Lou Eleopoulus. Lou is a Greek-American who is active in the US-Hellenic Veteran's society. He also played football at Cal.

I would then pass the flame to Frank Marshall, Runner 102. Frank is a movie producer in Santa Monica and a past vice president of the USOC.

The rest of the runners in our group came from all over. Sammy Lee would start us off at number 92--Sammy was a gold medalist in diving in the 1948 and 1952 Olympics and was Greg Louganis's diving coach. We also had Pete Clentzos, the oldest living Olympian. Pete competed in the pole vault for Greece in the 1932 Olympics. We also had a 17 year old baton twirler from Anaheim, a former soccer player from Dallas and a paralympic skier, among other more "ordinary" people.

We had a short orientation program where they walked through what the process and procedures would be. We would be on a bus in front of the torch. They would let us out about a minute before the torch got to where we would start our relay. An Athens 2004 worker would activate the torch for us, we'd step out accept the flame and be on our way. Their three rules--Present the flame, hold the torch outward so the cameras could see the logo, and have fun.

Following the orientation, they asked us for any questions. One guy asked about keeping our torches--we had to purchase them on Tuesday night--and whether we just got to leave with it or if they sent it to us later. We would just get to leave with them. This prompted a follow-up question from the 17 year old (who was a bit of a brat--no, too harsh--immature). "I had to buy my torch last night and I heard today that some people didn't have to buy theirs and that other people got their torches bought for them," she said.

The very patient relay worker offered to discuss it with her afterwards, but she explained that some sponsors bought torches for certain runners. (Samsung and Coke were the global sponsors and if you were selected by them, you got your torch for free, however if you were selected by the USOC, you had to pay.) Whatever the cost, enjoy the moment, kid.

We then headed out to our shuttle bus. Once on, we were all given our torches and we left for the first relay spot. We got there a few minutes early and were able to see the pre-parade pass. This consisted of trucks of Samsung and Coke people trying to pump up the crowd. Our part of the relay started in a pretty non-populated part of LA, so there wasn't a whole lot of crowd for them to excite. Finally, we fell in line in the relay motorcade.

We passed Anita DeFrantz, IOC VP, who would be the last runner from the previous group, and it was on. We got to Sammy's drop off point, which happened to be at a place where a huge crowd of school children had been bussed to for the relay. As Sammy marched off the bus, we cheered him off with a lot of clapping and hooping and hollaring.

Just before Sammy got off, Frank Marshall got everyone's attention. He said he had carried the torch a couple of times before, and it was great to be part of it again with all of us. He said his one piece of advice was to go very slow, to soak it in and enjoy it. With that, Sammy was off the bus and ready to go.

It was the same with each runner. 93 went off to our cheering, then 94, 95, etc. Runner 97 got off and a few yards ahead we noticed a huge crowd with signs and banners for her. It turns out she was selected because she had been to the Olympics as a spectator in 1984, 1988, 1992 and 1996. She couldn't go in 2000 because she had her first child around the time of the games. Then earlier this year, she had quadruplets and wouldn't be able to make it to Athens either.

98 went. Then 99. Lou was off as number 100, and then it was my turn. As we moved along, my emotions were beginning to play some tricks on me. I was feeling a ton of anticipation, excitement and happiness all rolled into one, all the while wishing I could see my dad on the side of the rode cheering. Even still, I knew, inside, both he and Bill were there with me.

As we approached my stop, I felt a couple of tears trickle down my face. I could see that my brother Eddie and my good friend Grant were waiting at my stop. I got out and Eddie grabbed me. We posed for a few pictures. My wife came running up and we snuck in another quick picture, before the torch guy pulled me away, activated my torch and placed me in my transition spot. Lou approached, presented the flame, we held our torches together for the required five seconds, and I was on my way.

Slow down, I kept telling myself. I could feel a couple of more tears on my cheeks, but overall, I just felt overwhelming happiness. I approached the Vermont intersection. There was a rather large crowd of strangers there cheering. Just through the intersection, my friends and family were camped out. The yelling and screaming began. I knew I had a huge smile on my face. They were running along side me, just outside the motorcycles, snapping pictures and videotaping. One of my friends from work had made a huge "VENABLE" sign covering three pieces of thick poster board. At the corner of Exposition and Menlo, I turned into the Coliseum complex. My step-mother was there, holding a button of my dad and brother in the air. Again, I could just smile. I looked up into the flame. All smiles.

On Menlo, the crowd died out a bit, except for my friends and brother still running along snapping more pictures. I approached Frank, and for a fleeting second, thought about sidestepping him and going for another segment or two. I presented the flame, upward and passed it on to Frank.

[More later on the aftermath and the Dodger game.]
Old 06-17-2004, 05:33 PM   #35
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Congratulations, digamma. I'm sure your brother and dad are cheering their ass off in heaven, pointing down and saying "Great job!"
Old 06-17-2004, 05:50 PM   #36
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Your dad and brother are very proud of you today. What you did to honor them was amazing and I know they are smiling in heaven right now...Congratulations again!
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 07:25 PM   #37
Radii
Head Coach

Awesome
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 12:18 AM   #38
thealmighty
Pro Starter

As an FOFCer who has followed this story, I feel proud of you myself. Well done.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:53 AM   #39
MIJB#19
Coordinator

MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 02:05 PM   #40
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Very, very cool!

SI

Old 06-22-2004, 03:56 PM   #41
digamma
Torchbearer

And now, the rest of the story...

After I passed the flame to Frank, the torch relay worker (in our orientation session the coordinator had referred to this guy as "the cute guy on a motorcycle"--I'm not sure a relatively overweight guy with a mustache qualifies as cute, but I digress) extinguished my flame and ushered me onto a second shuttle bus. We had been given the option to ride the bus back to our meeting spot, or to hang out with our family and friends at our run location. The torch staff strongly recommended that we ride the bus, so I followed their recommendation, even though I would have loved to bask in the glow of my family and friends' celebration. (Also, my friend Lenny said afterwards that my quickly being ushered back onto the bus lent itself to a "superstar" feel for the event.)

Once on the bus, I didn't regret my decision. Most of the other runners had chosen to return on the bus as well. I was greeted with another round of applause and high fives from them. I was given a commemorative scrap book to sign with my thoughts on the day. We were also treated to all of the Coca-Cola products we could drink. The coolest thing, though, was that we were now immediately behind the torch itself, and we could watch the relay with the best view in the house. I finished signing the book just as Frank Marshall was passing the flame to Pete Clentzos. Pete and his 95 year old frame ambled with the torch up to the Coliseum main gate, where he raised the torch in the air toward the Coliseum's Olympic cauldron, which had been lit for the day. Pete deservedly had the biggest crowd we had seen. There were a number of people with Greek flags and a lot of signs for him. He passed on the flame and stayed to celebrate with his friends. We finished up the route with the last several runners from our trip and headed back to the AAF, pulling out of the motorcade and letting the next shuttle bus group in our place. We got back to the AAF and sent everyone off with yet another round of applause.

I got into my car and drove the ten minutes or so back to the Coliseum, where my family was waiting for me. We embraced with hugs and took a bunch of pictures.

It had gotten close to 5:30 by this time, and the torch ceremonies were supposed to start at the Dodger's game at 6:00. I hurried everyone back into our cars to head to Chavez Ravine. Along the way we lost my mom, who had to pick up my step-father from the airport, and my step-mother who headed back to the hotel to get some rest after what had been a long and emotional day.

We got to the game just as the torch was arriving outside the stadium. We went up to the torch seats, where the other runners were (top deck down the left field line). I said hello and gave high fives to those I saw from my shuttle bus. It was about this time that we realized the seats we had scalped in the parking lot were much better (though technically in the same section) than the torch seats, so we all headed down to sit in those.

About ten till seven, Tom Cruise brought the torch into the stadium through the open center field fence. He ran about a quarte of a lap around the field to the third base side, where he passed it to Janet Evans. Evans took it around home plate over to first base and handed off to Vitali Klitschko. The champ ran down the right field line and made the last hand off to Rafer Johnson, who ran through a human tunnel of Greek folk dancers, over second base, across the pitcher's mound to home plate, where he lit a temporary cauldron that had been put in place.

Both he and Anita DeFrantz said a few words about the flame and the Olympic movement. With that the torch workers captured the flame in its traveling lantern, and the cauldron was extinguished.

We were treated to a 6-3 Dodger victory over the Orioles (who got a home run from former Brave Javy Lopez).

And we called it a very long, but very happy day.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:37 PM   #42
digamma
Torchbearer

The hand-off:

The wife and me:

The family cheering me on:

Old 06-22-2004, 04:41 PM   #43
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Great story...thanks for the thread.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:43 PM   #44
JeeberD
General Manager

Very cool, di...

Old 06-22-2004, 05:12 PM   #45
MrBug708
Head Coach

Mrs Digamma is quite nice....

A coach from my HS was able to run part of the leg of the torch run as well.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 06:27 PM   #46
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Very cool!

SI

Old 06-23-2004, 08:19 PM   #47
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
Mrs Digamma is quite nice....

Umm... yeah. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 11:22 AM   #48
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Wow. Had to hide some tears from the coworkers after reading this. Thank you for sharing.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:15 PM   #49
digamma
Torchbearer

From today's LA Daily Journal, the legal newspaper in Los Angeles:

ASSOCIATE CARRIES TORCH IN HONOR OF DAD, BROTHER

By Amy K. Spees
Stephen Venable Jr., an associate in Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher's Century City office, recently shared a piece of Olympic glory as a member of the torch relay, which wended its way though Los Angeles on June 16.
Some participants, like Tom Cruise, Sylvester Stallone and Ellen DeGeneres, snagged the gig on sheer celebrity, others were superstar athletes like four-time Olympic gold medalist swimmer Janet Evans, and still others were community leaders like Father Greg Boyle, who is known for his work with former Los Angeles gang members.
Venable, 28, however, was appointed through a U.S. Olympic Committee selection process, which picks torch runners for stories that celebrate ideologies of peace, courage, determination, hope, humanity and unity. Venable's story is a bittersweet one.
Venable's brother, Bill Jr., 17, and their father, Billy Venable, 55, were murdered during an attempted robbery of their home in the Atlanta suburb of Lilburn on Jan. 13. Venable was nominated to run in the torch relay by his father's best friend and the area high school's wrestling coach, Ed Winterstein.
Venable's father coached football, wrestling and track and taught special education at Tucker High School. Bill Jr. was a senior at the school and the starting center on the school's football team. Both were shot to death trying to fend off an intruder in their home, who was later gunned down by police. Venable's stepmother was also home at the time but was unharmed.
Venable says his experience running with the torch was almost indescribable.
"Once it was passed to me it was an incredible feeling to know, at that moment, I was the only one carrying the flame that will eventually make its way back to Athens," Venable says.
Lou Eleopoulos of Martinez passed the torch to Venable, who carried the flame for slightly more than a quarter mile on Exposition Boulevard, west of the Coliseum. Venable then turned right on Menlo Avenue into the stadium complex and handed the torch off to Frank Marshal, vice president of the U.S. Olympic Committee.
"I could just imagine how proud my dad and brother are, or were, and that kind of kept me going through what was a great time, but also an emotional one," Venable says.
Venable lives in the Hollywood Hills with his wife, Maris. He has a bachelor's degree in government from Harvard University. Venable has worked in Gibson Dunn's corporate transactions practice group since 2001, when he graduated from the University of Virginia School of Law.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:29 PM   #50
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Stephen:

I can't BELIEVE I missed this thread! Just read it. Wiping tears, once again.

--Ben