Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #201
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Isn't that what a playoff-bound team is supposed to do?

Yes. But too bad they didn't play the same way against Denver, San Diego and Denver.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #202
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Yes. But too bad they didn't play the same way against Denver, San Diego and Denver.

So they suck. Duly noted.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #203
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Can i turn the Giants game off and put my daughter to bed or does it make me a bad fan if they come back?

If your daughter is watching the Giants game she should already be asleep.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #204
larrymcg421
Head Coach

5 of Miami's wins are by 4, 4, 2, 4, and 6 points.
4 of their losses are by 3, 2, 3, and 4 points.

They are trying to kill me this year.

Also, is this an acceptable distribution of close games? Please advise.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #205
RedKingGold
College Starter

49ers win! It's a meaningless win record wise, but a huge win confidence wise.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #206
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

If only today's win came in front of the Seattle home crowd.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #207
Jas_lov
College Starter

Why didn't the Seahawks just let Gore score on 1st down and goal? Seemed like their only option with no TOs. They'd have over 2:00 to get a TD down 5 or 7 instead of 25 seconds to get a FG.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #208
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
If only today's win came in front of the Seattle home crowd.

Anything can happen in a one game playoff. If the 49ers have to go there and win, then so be it.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #209
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

If Gronk's got an ACL...well let's just say they've looked a whole lot more dangerous offensively with him on the field.

At some point all these injuries have to take a toll.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #210
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
When ahead and found it. Through week 12 they had the win expectation of a 7-8 win team.

http://imgur.com/a/YL8t7

And that's 7-8 wins through 12 weeks, which they had (they had 8). So, they were on the higher end of the range, but probably more than a couple of bad bounces from .500.

Edit: The swing generally for "luck" through 12 weeks appears to be up to 1.5 wins in either direction. Even assuming great QBs and head coaches don't help you win close games at all (and vice versa for bad QBs and coaching), luck doesn't seem like a huge factor, at least in terms of deciding how a good a team is generally (obviously it can make a huge difference in playoff races decided by a game.)

Last edited by molson : 12-08-2013 at 07:03 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #211
Thomkal
Head Coach

Good to see my Cards get off their losing streak against their conference mates. Still in there with a chance to make the playoffs, but still have to play SF and SEA.

Last edited by Thomkal : 12-08-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #212
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Good to see my Cards get off their losing streak against their conference mates. Still in there with a chance to make the playoffs, but still have to play SF and SEA.

I think the Rams just really suck.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #213
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

False. The wild card spots in the NFC are up for grabs...both of them. SF had to win to stay ahead of Arizona and Dallas/Philly.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #214
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
False. The wild card spots in the NFC are up for grabs...both of them. SF had to win to stay ahead of Arizona and Dallas/Philly.

Oh sure, but conventional wisdom was that the 49ers would lose this one, but win their final three for the last spot. They would still control their destiny, and honestly, if they can't beat the Bucs, Falcons and Cards, then they shouldn't be in the postseason to begin with.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #215
Comey
College Starter

Bucs have been much better (though I know SF will be road favorites, and rightfully so), and Arizona is on the road. That's no gimmie. I think they should win all three too, but 2-1 is more likely.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #216
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Bucs have been much better (though I know SF will be road favorites, and rightfully so), and Arizona is on the road. That's no gimmie. I think they should win all three too, but 2-1 is more likely.

Week 17 will be irrelevant if the 49ers win the next two, they already have the division tiebreaker over the Cards.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #217
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
I'm a Pats fan, and I can admit that was a gift call (refs have decided so many games both ways for the Pats this year)

Here's my fan rationalization (not having watched the game, but seen the replays later, etc):

That was a gift for Cleveland. Without it, Brady puts them in the endzone with no time left. Because of the PI call, New England scored too quick, and gave Cleveland some time left to go the other way.

Or at least I'd like to think Brady would have scored anyway.

But agreed, not PI, and frankly he really should have caught the ball.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #218
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
What the hell! Patriots win all the time with comebacks. God I'm so sick of that team.

This. Plus Infinity.

The only saving grace to them winning is the Broncos need to keep winning which should help Manning beat Brady's TD record. I'm definitely pulling for that.

But the Pats have the Bengals right behind them. I'd love to see a Pats loss setting up a divisional game between them at Bengals. I think Cincy wins that. They look damn good.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #219
ColtCrazy
College Starter

As for my Colts, they aren't just backing into the playoffs. They are backwardly, drunkenly, stumbling into the playoffs. Amazing how much the loss of Reggie Wayne changed this team. This all but sets up a Colts-Chiefs wild card matchup, and that scares the hell out of me.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #220
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Im fully expecting a Carolina comeback in this game, at least enough to give America some TV drama.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #221
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Let me get this straight. You have one of the greatest QBs and certainly one of the best comeback QBs of all time, not to mention a team effort when the pressure is on, and some people are sick of that? How many QBs or teams can score on a last second TD pass or needing two scores to in a minute to win? Not quitting used to be a virtue but I guess some fans of other teams are content to see their team lose.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #222
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I'm never content to see the Colts lose. They aren't playing well and a Chiefs matchup isn't a good one but I'll be damned if I'm not in those stands cheering them on just as I was in 2010 when they went 2-14.
But as far as being sick of the Pats, I'm sure many fans of other teams are. If anything, you should count that as a testament to their continued resiliency. I'll never say "Brady sucks" because he doesn't. He's definitely one of the top 10 QBs of all time. But to watch them pull of the Saints game (because the Saints couldn't have played that worse) and the Browns game (because the Pats made the plays and Cleveland is cursed) it's just annoying. They've reached Yankee and Ohio St. range for me. I want to see them lose almost as much as I want to see the Colts win.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #223
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Is it just me or does Grimm look like a fucked up show?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #224
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Is it just me or does Grimm look like a fucked up show?

Grimm's fun. It's a "monster of the week meets police procedural" mashup that's heavy on the monster, light on the policework, and doesn't take itself too seriously.

A good Friday night show.

And it helps that the redhead is easy on the eyes.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #225
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Up 5 going into this game. Had the Panthers D. He has Colston. Guess whose down 30 now? I still have McCown to play tomorrow, but I'm not seeing 30 from him.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #226
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Saints defense looks real good tonight. Is home field more important to the Saints than any other team?
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #227
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Up 5 going into this game. Had the Panthers D. He has Colston. Guess whose down 30 now? I still have McCown to play tomorrow, but I'm not seeing 30 from him.

30 might be tough but the Cowboys have given up top 5 most fantasy points to QBs this year so you have hope.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #228
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Saints defense looks real good tonight. Is home field more important to the Saints than any other team?

Pretty important to Seattle as well.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #229
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Pretty important to Seattle as well.

True. They may have crossed that barrier though where they can win a tough road game. Not so convinced on the Saints.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #230
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
True. They may have crossed that barrier though where they can win a tough road game. Not so convinced on the Saints.

The scary thing with Seattle is that they seem invincible at home. They're good enough to win on the road, but just unbelievably good at home. If not for that game where Tampa got a big early lead on them at home earlier in the year, I'd be getting pretty hyperbolic right now and saying that Seattle is basically already in the super bowl.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #231
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Let me get this straight. You have one of the greatest QBs and certainly one of the best comeback QBs of all time, not to mention a team effort when the pressure is on, and some people are sick of that?

Yes? I hate watching the same team(s) win all the damned time. It gets boring. I had no real affinity for NE before Brady, thought it was nice that the franchise finally got a SB ring after its historical futility, and then got sick of them. For a stretch, it's fine. Going on 15 years? Fucking go away already. But they won't go away, and the longer they hang around makes me all the more wishing for the day that they will go back to being 4-12.

ETA: I know you can't understand this Bucc, but in my NFL - and in the NFL of many others - they're the bad guy. And most of the time, you don't root for the bad guy.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 12-08-2013 at 10:50 PM.
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #232
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Yes? I hate watching the same team(s) win all the damned time. It gets boring. I had no real affinity for NE before Brady, thought it was nice that the franchise finally got a SB ring after its historical futility, and then got sick of them. For a stretch, it's fine. Going on 15 years? Fucking go away already. But they won't go away, and the longer they hang around makes me all the more wishing for the day that they will go back to being 4-12.

ETA: I know you can't understand this Bucc, but in my NFL - and in the NFL of many others - they're the bad guy. And most of the time, you don't root for the bad guy.

You must have missed the FOFC debate a few weeks back where it was determined that winning had nothing to do with the dislike of a team.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #233
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'm down 11.84 points with Witten playing tomorrow night. Winner of my game goes to the playoffs, loser goes home. 0.5 ppr. Witten's scored fewer than that in 8 of 12 games so far. I really, really need a TD from him tomorrow.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #234
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I'm down 11.84 points with Witten playing tomorrow night. Winner of my game goes to the playoffs, loser goes home. 0.5 ppr. Witten's scored fewer than that in 8 of 12 games so far. I really, really need a TD from him tomorrow.

8 catches 80 yards. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #235
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Thanks. Going to be close, I think. Alfred Morris and TY Hilton really hurt, especially given that I had Joique Bell, Roddy White, DeAndre Hopkins and Andre Ellington on the bench who all outperformed both of them.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #236
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
30 might be tough but the Cowboys have given up top 5 most fantasy points to QBs this year so you have hope.

Ended up down 31. My bench outscored him, so on the event I can get exactly 31 from McCown, I win. It's the 1st round of the playoffs. Need a shootout tomorrow!!!!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #237
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I'm really impressed with the technology from Fox. Automatically superimposing the yard numbers isn't an easy task.

Thought the same thing when I saw it watching a replay of the Eagles-Lions game. Kudos to the guys who came up with that tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
I'm a Pats fan, and I can admit that was a gift call (refs have decided so many games both ways for the Pats this year)

The thing that was weird about that call was, to me, the actual infraction happened seconds earlier when the defender was holding the receiver at about the 5 yard line. But they didn't throw the flag for that, they threw it for the phantom PI in the end zone. Maybe trying to get it right after the fact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
If Gronk's got an ACL...well let's just say they've looked a whole lot more dangerous offensively with him on the field.

At some point all these injuries have to take a toll.

I wrote this season off from day one, but now they have to have a decent season, get my hopes up, and eventually get bounced from the playoffs in ignominious fashion.

Fuckers.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #238
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

You must have really hated Steelers of the 1970s and 49ers of the 1980s. I understand that success and talent bring envy; we all hate the Yankees after all.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #239
Butter
Coordinator

I think I am now able to judge the crappiness of the defense that the Bengals are playing by how well Dalton does. He was good yesterday, which tells me the Colts defense is not very good.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #240
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
You must have really hated Steelers of the 1970s and 49ers of the 1980s. I understand that success and talent bring envy; we all hate the Yankees after all.

I was too young to really get the 70s Steelers, but I remember my dad pulling for the Rams in SB XIV. So that's where I probably get this from.

Yes, I absolutely tired of the 49ers. Reveled in the 40-8 game, but then they wound up winning the SB, so hollow victory. I respected them, but was happy when they eventually went in the tank (I like players like Montana, Rice, Young, Lott - just got tired of seeing them win so much). Disliked the (NHL) Oilers in the 80s, but then they were always beating the Flyers. Got sick of the 90s Braves. Rooted for the Jazz against the Bulls.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #241
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Cuervo, I understand. I grew up hating the cowboys/raiders/Vikings/steelers - the same four teams that were in the playoffs nearly every stinking year. I loved it when someone else won their divisions, like the Cardinals one year, as well as the Oilers.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #242
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I'm surprised Shanahan still has a job this morning.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #243
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I dont mind dominate teams. I miss the rivalries of football when I was a child of the 80s because of dominate teams facing off.

When Dallas/Washington would play it was much watch football.

I dont think we have many great rivalries anymore because teams dont stay on top long enough to create great rivalries.

Maybe the Seahawks/49ers can be the next great rivalry or the Pats/Broncos.

Ravens/Steelers would probably be the most recent great rivalry IMO.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #244
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Somehow, Green Bay is 1/2 game out of first. I have to give it to them for their resiliency - to come back and beat Atlanta with a bunch of backups after the crazy pic 6 put the Falcons up 21-10 at the half.

I doubt the Packers pull this off, but with Detroit - nothing is a given
Old 12-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #245
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

I think Pats/Colts qualified when Peyton Manning was in Indianapolis.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #246
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Somehow, Green Bay is 1/2 game out of first. I have to give it to them for their resiliency - to come back and beat Atlanta with a bunch of backups after the crazy pic 6 put the Falcons up 21-10 at the half.

I doubt the Packers pull this off, but with Detroit - nothing is a given

Yes, the Lions are the gift that keeps on giving.

Given all of the significant injuries that both the Bears and Packers have suffered this year and the relative good fortune health-wise the Lions have experienced, the current records of those three teams are a pretty strong condemnation of the Lions. They've all but been handed the division and seem completely uninterested in it.

If they don't win the division this year, it may very well be time for a change in the coaching staff. The team is too undisciplined, makes too many mental mistakes and seems too predictable.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #247
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Yes, the Lions are the gift that keeps on giving.

Given all of the significant injuries that both the Bears and Packers have suffered this year and the relative good fortune health-wise the Lions have experienced, the current records of those three teams are a pretty strong condemnation of the Lions. They've all but been handed the division and seem completely uninterested in it.

If they don't win the division this year, it may very well be time for a change in the coaching staff. The team is too undisciplined, makes too many mental mistakes and seems too predictable.

Coughlin gets fired by the Giants, he might be the perfect short-term fit to get the Lions over the hump.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #248
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Coughlin gets fired by the Giants, he might be the perfect short-term fit to get the Lions over the hump.

Never happen. Been a terrible year but ownership is very loyal. Would need a few more years of epic collapse before he is shown the door. Plus at his age I don't see him starting over somewhere else.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #249
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
I dont mind dominate teams. I miss the rivalries of football when I was a child of the 80s because of dominate teams facing off.

When Dallas/Washington would play it was much watch football.

I dont think we have many great rivalries anymore because teams dont stay on top long enough to create great rivalries.

Maybe the Seahawks/49ers can be the next great rivalry or the Pats/Broncos.

Seahawks / 49ers seems to be the only one where the players seem to genuinely dislike each other. You could argue Ravens / Patriots, but that dislike was mainly one way.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #250
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Seahawks / 49ers seems to be the only one where the players seem to genuinely dislike each other. You could argue Ravens / Patriots, but that dislike was mainly one way.

I think for awhile there you could lump the Steelers/Ravens in that category.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote