Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #2851
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
The Royal Tenenbaums - 5/10

It was mediocre at best. A few LOL moments but I'm just not gettin' it.

head shake. different strokes, i guess.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #2852
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
The Royal Tenenbaums - 5/10

It was mediocre at best. A few LOL moments but I'm just not gettin' it.

Yeah, I was dissapointed with this. Saw it at the cinema years ago and found it a let-down after all the hype. I knew what it was trying to do, but it just didn't come close to nailing it for me.

Maybe I should give it another shot.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #2853
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You people disappoint me. "Royal Tenenbaums" is one of my Top 10 movies of all time.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #2854
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Hated Tenenbaums. But, I watched it after a couple of brutally long workdays, and was struggling to stay awake. Almost everyone I've heard from about it loved it though...

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #2855
rowech
Pro Starter

Computer Wargames that play like Boardgames?

Anybody have any they like? Hoping to find a game that is more a boardgame feel...even possibly a directly translated board game. Era isn't too important.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:24 PM   #2856
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Anybody have any they like? Hoping to find a game that is more a boardgame feel...even possibly a directly translated board game. Era isn't too important.

This plot sounds terrible...... 0/10
Old 01-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #2857
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

Try In the Name of the King. Not directly from a boardgame, but close. And it got great reviews. Let us know how you like it.

RIP
Old 01-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #2858
Pyser
Pro Rookie

hamlet 2 - 8/10

i laughed at this. a lot. i really, really like steve coogan. in my mind, he's the new gene wilder. very funny movie.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #2859
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
You people disappoint me. "Royal Tenenbaums" is one of my Top 10 movies of all time.

This is a well-known love-hate thing. There are people who love Wes Anderson's stuff. And people who can't stand his crap. And they're talking about the same movies!

I'm in the "crap" column.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #2860
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
This is a well-known love-hate thing. There are people who love Wes Anderson's stuff. And people who can't stand his crap. And they're talking about the same movies!

I'm in the "crap" column.

Agree with both paragraphs.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:31 AM   #2861
KWhit
Coordinator

Same here.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #2862
Lorena
Unregistered

Dan In Real Life - 9.5/10

Sweet and heartwarming, Steve Carrell is another actor (imo) that can do no wrong.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #2863
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Dan in Real Life 6.5/10

It was what I thought it would be (crown its ass?) -- touching, warm, funny in a by-the-way kind of way. Didn't love it, but didn't feel like I'd wasted 2 hours, either.

Oh, and Steve Carrel has a difficult not being Michael Scott, doesn't he?

Yeah that's what Antmeister and I were saying too

Last edited by Lorena : 01-19-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #2864
Tigercat
College Starter

My problem with Dan in Real Life, is that the daughters were beyond being quasi-normal selfish teenage girls, they were acting just plain hateful at times. I think if the movie would have taken the family discord into a more subtle place, it would have been much better and more enjoyable.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #2865
Jas_lov
College Starter

6-7 is about right for Dan in Real Life. Carrell was good but I agree about the daughters, especially the middle one with the boyfriend. She was definitely way over the top and really annoying.

The Royal Tenenbaums is brilliant, 5 is way too low.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 01-19-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #2866
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

are there any "must see" movies in the theaters right now?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #2867
Pyser
Pro Rookie

my review of dan in real life about a year ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
quite possibly the most unrealistic family portrayal of the last 10 years

and did i miss something. why were they all even there?!?

lorena, you're nice and all, but if you like a movie, im running away from it at this point (i mean, no tennenbaums? seriously still surprised people dont like that)

Old 01-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #2868
rowech
Pro Starter

Now I know where my wargame thread went....sorry guys.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #2869
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Slumdog Millionaire.
The Wrestler (haven't seen it but people are saying)
The Clint Eastwood one (haven't seen it and I can't stand Clint Eastwood but others say it's good)

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #2870
RainMaker
General Manager

I saw Remember the Titans last night for the umpteenth time. Did you guys know the little girl in the movie is Hayden Panettiere?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #2871
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

I thought the Wrestler and Ben Button were fantastic. Both are must see's. Gran Torino is also really really good. I would say see them all.

I'm really hoping revolutionary road is in that category too.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #2872
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
I thought the Wrestler and Ben Button were fantastic. Both are must see's. Gran Torino is also really really good. I would say see them all.

I second Benjamin Button as a "must-see", and "The Wrestler" is on my list.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #2873
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Am I the only one who has Gran Torino and Button as okay movies, but not must sees? I didn't think either were particularly spectacular. Perhaps in a Top 25 for the year, but just that (and I am really shaky on Gran Torino even making the Top 25--those Asian actors were sooooooo bad).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:47 PM   #2874
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I saw Remember the Titans last night for the umpteenth time. Did you guys know the little girl in the movie is Hayden Panettiere?

avon barksdale at defensive end!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:47 PM   #2875
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Haven't seen Button yet, but I gave Gran Torino a 6.5 or something close in the Movies thread.

EDIT: Which, believe it or not, is this thread

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 01-19-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #2876
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Finally saw Slumdog Millionaire and I have to agree, it was excellent. I'm stingy with my nines, but right now I'd give this 8/10 with a possibility to increase upon reflection. It was hokey in points, but not to the extent that it took me out of the movie; great casting; awesome cinematography and soundtrack. Hm... I may be talking myself into a nine already
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #2877
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
my review of dan in real life about a year ago:

lorena, you're nice and all, but if you like a movie, im running away from it at this point (i mean, no tennenbaums? seriously still surprised people dont like that)

Hah, no worries, I noticed we go in opposite directions with most movies, it's cool. We saw a documentary before that and needed a movie to take me outta my funk and Dan IRL did.

Last edited by Lorena : 01-19-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #2878
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Benjamin Button was pretty good, but I wasn't at all surprised to find out it was written by Eric Roth, who also wrote Forrest Gump. It felt a little too close to that structure for my liking. The acting was terrific, though.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #2879
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - 9/10: An absolutely captivating film about Brad Pitt's journey as he ages in reverse and the impact it has on Cate Blanchett's Daisy. While long, I cannot think of a thing to cut; everything fits well, in my opinion. The story is about time and about living life the way you want to. In the second respect it is different from the short story, but that makes it all the better. The scope of the film, and the people you meet as Button goes from old age to infancy adds depth to the life of Ben Button. In the end, it is incredibly well acted, well casted, beautifully choreograph, and wonderfully written.

It may just be my favorite movie of the year.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #2880
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Benjamin Button was pretty good, but I wasn't at all surprised to find out it was written by Eric Roth, who also wrote Forrest Gump. It felt a little too close to that structure for my liking. The acting was terrific, though.

Not surprised either. As someone said earlier, this movie is basically Gump meets Big Fish. I much prefer it to Forrest Gump, and it's probably on-par with Big Fish.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #2881
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Am I the only one who has Gran Torino and Button as okay movies, but not must sees? I didn't think either were particularly spectacular. Perhaps in a Top 25 for the year, but just that (and I am really shaky on Gran Torino even making the Top 25--those Asian actors were sooooooo bad).

I agree on Gran Torino(haven't seen Button yet). I'd probably give it a 6.5 or 7.0. Clint was Clint, and did a fine job. The other actors were terrible, and the writing did not help them at all. The scene with the Hmong girl and the black kids was particularly cringe worthy with the dialog.

Not a bad movie, but definitely would not make my top 10 for the year.

I got a chance to see "Let the Right One In" this past weekend, which is a Swedish film that I had absolutely no prior knowledge of going in. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a hard movie to classify. In short it's about a couple of kids, one who is an outcast "loser" who is constantly bullied and sort of creepy, and the other who happens to be a vampire. It's not a vampire movie like you'd expect. It's much more focused on the relationship between this kids and it's done really well. The kids are both fantastic also, really impressive job by both of them. There is a 3-4 minute scene towards the end of the film that is definitely my favorite scene of the year, really cool. I'd give this movie an 8.5 or so. I went out and bought the book immediately after seeing it, and am enjoying it even more.(The author also wrote the screenplay) Highly recommend this movie if you get a chance to see it. I'm not sure how wide a release it will get stateside.

Seems like the type of movie they will remake in English in a bastardized form and release it soon.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #2882
korme
Go Reds

Into the Wild (2007) - Disappointed that I waited over a year to see this. It was an amazing look at one human beings life. I can't believe Emile Hirsch didn't get an Oscar nom for his performance... 8.5/10
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:24 AM   #2883
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I agree on Gran Torino(haven't seen Button yet). I'd probably give it a 6.5 or 7.0. Clint was Clint, and did a fine job. The other actors were terrible, and the writing did not help them at all. The scene with the Hmong girl and the black kids was particularly cringe worthy with the dialog.

I got a chance to see "Let the Right One In" this past weekend, which is a Swedish film that I had absolutely no prior knowledge of going in. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a hard movie to classify. In short it's about a couple of kids, one who is an outcast "loser" who is constantly bullied and sort of creepy, and the other who happens to be a vampire. It's not a vampire movie like you'd expect. It's much more focused on the relationship between this kids and it's done really well. The kids are both fantastic also, really impressive job by both of them. There is a 3-4 minute scene towards the end of the film that is definitely my favorite scene of the year, really cool. I'd give this movie an 8.5 or so. I went out and bought the book immediately after seeing it, and am enjoying it even more.(The author also wrote the screenplay) Highly recommend this movie if you get a chance to see it. I'm not sure how wide a release it will get stateside.

Seems like the type of movie they will remake in English in a bastardized form and release it soon.

I haven't seen "Let the right one in" yet, but my girlfriend has and she says its fantastic.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:08 AM   #2884
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post

The book is incredible. One of my favorites in the last few years.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:42 AM   #2885
Lorena
Unregistered

Life Is Beautiful - 9/10

What a great movie, made me cry.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #2886
RainMaker
General Manager

Forgetting Sarah Marshall (7.5 out of 10) - About as high as I'd give any romantic comedy. It had it's funny parts but isn't as great as some people make it out to be. Kristen Bell is perfection and Mila Kunis is smoking hot as well. This was the unrated version and I could definitely go without the multiple dick shots of Jason Segal. A nice mix between a romantic comedy a chick would enjoy and crude humor movie guys would.

10,000 B.C. (2 out of 10) - Really cool concept that was so poorly done. The historical inaccuracies are mind boggling and completely unnecessary. The story is laughable. Just an atrocious movie. The only positive was a solid musical score.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #2887
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This was the unrated version and I could definitely go without the multiple dick shots of Jason Segal.

That was in the theatrical version as well. Btw, I could never figure out why guys were so horrified at this. I mean, really, women seeing breasts flashing have never acted so disgusted. I guess it's more of a homophobia thing.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #2888
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
That was in the theatrical version as well. Btw, I could never figure out why guys were so horrified at this. I mean, really, women seeing breasts flashing have never acted so disgusted. I guess it's more of a homophobia thing.
I'm not horrified, just taken by surprise. I understood the first shot, just didn't think it was necessary to keep showing his dick over and over. I don't see how not wanting to see a guys penis over and over in a movie makes me homophobic.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #2889
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I thought it was pretty funny.

I just don't get the squemishness of seeing a guy's penis on screen a handful (no pun intended) of times.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #2890
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Yup. I LOL'd everytime I saw his tallywacker.

RIP
Old 01-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #2891
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I was also laughing at some of the over the top reaction of the guys in the theater too. Like they were trying to prove to others that they didn't like seeing penis. It was amusing.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #2892
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I was also laughing at some of the over the top reaction of the guys in the theater too. Like they were trying to prove to others that they didn't like seeing penis. It was amusing.

LOL I think that is always hilarious.

"UGHHHHHHHHHH!!!! FUCK DUUUUUDE!" /covers eyes
Old 01-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #2893
MikeVic
Head Coach

Sometimes you just don't want to see a penis.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #2894
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Smokin' Aces 6.5/10

I liked this but it tried to be an American Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels which it definitely was not. It was too mashed together at that hotel but I was entertained.

Piven has one character in him (derivatives of Ari Gold) but it is a great one.

I think Reynolds was a poor choice for this movie and I was kind of pissed to see Affleck in it (I was quickly made happy ) but the rest of the cast was solid.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #2895
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I'm not exactly a child of the 60s but

Batman (1966) 9/10

Just so much more fun than some of the more recent Batman movies and strangely still kind of relevant given the amount of comic book movies we're seeing these days.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #2896
MrDNA
High School Varsity

12 Angry Men 8/10 - Really nice character study of 12 men (only 2 or 3 of them could actually be called angry) trying to decide the life or death of a young man accused of murder. Not so much about the merits of the case as the men who are deciding it. No "action" so to speak, but riveting.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #2897
Sgran
High School Varsity

Rocknrolla 9/10 - Wildly entertaining. If you like Guy Ritchie then this is more of the same. I loved it.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #2898
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Slumdog Millionaire - 9/10: Very well done movie done in an interesting way. The main character looking back over his life in answer the Millionaire questions (brought out by an investigation over whether he was cheating) paints a very vivid picture of Mumbai and India. Of course there is a lot of "movie magic", but I see the film as being more of a 'magical realism' film including a lot of fantasy to the rise of Dev Patel's Jamal. Danny Boyle really a great job directing. And the scenes of Mumbai, with its utter poverty and lawlessness was very well done. The music was also very good.

--

In the end, I think I'd have to say I liked Benjamin Button more than Slumdog Millionaire, but its close.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:43 PM   #2899
Lorena
Unregistered

The Wrestler - 9/10

Yup, it was all that. It was easy to attach myself to Mickey Rourke's character. I felt bad for him, was disappointed, teared up in this one scene, he was pretty amazing. He must have worked his ass off to get his body like that.

One thing though, I don't see why Marisa Tomei was nominated for an Oscar. She was hardly in the movie and her character wasn't much of a stretch. If she got nominated because she played a stripper, than Demi Moore should have been nominated for Striptease. Okay, that was an exaggeration, but nothing in her performance screamed "Oscar".
Old 01-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #2900
Lorena
Unregistered

dola,

great, great soundtrack, I might actually buy it if it's available. The Kurt Cobain line in the movie was fucking hysterical