Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-09-2008, 11:41 PM   #1
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

The Legend of the 2nd Brigade: A CK Dynasty

The house stood watch over the slight valley. As the sun descended, the darkness advanced to claim dominion again. Inside, the nervous couple began their ascent to their chamber, to become one.

Their marriage had been arranged out of folly and spite. The young Count Sigvard had heard of the beauty of the Jimenez women, and in a show of braggadocio, he had sent forth his servant to ask for the hand of the Sancha, a member of the royal class near the Mediterranean. As it happened, Sancha and her brother, the King of Aragon were in the midst of one of their frequent spats. Her hand was asked for, the King was feeling petty, and agreed.

And so, after a long journey, she arrived on December 29, 1066, and Sigvard of Kalmar was waiting nervously.

"Welcome to Kalmar Lan."

"Thank you," she replied, looking around at the modest house and estate. It was quite different from what she had known all her life. With a longing glance over her shoulder at the departing procession, she turned, determined to make the best of her new life.

Their first evening together was more nervous than magical. Awkward conversations and awkward pauses, followed by an awkward ascent to their chamber. Awkward embraces and caresses soon followed.

As the sun rose the next day to reclaim the territory seized by the night, they stirred in their bed. The years that followed would see them grow in affection towards each other. In February of '67, Sancha told Sigvard she was expecting, and Ragnifrid, a daughter, was born that fall. Another daughter would come in January of '69.

Life was good for Sigvard. He had a loving wife and two beautiful daughters. Sigvard was the rare man, a man born knowing he was destined for great things. And though, he would always claim that marrying Sancha was his greatest accomplishment, he knew there were other things waiting for him.

Sigvard sent out his scouts in January of 1070, looking for more territory to acquire. In May, they returned with reports that the land to the north and west was under the protection of the King of Sweden and King of Denmark. But all was not bleak, for they brought word of a pagan tribe across the Baltic Sea that had great fortunes.

Preparations were made for the first military conquest. By June, his army was ready, although army was a very generous description for a single brigade. The men were young and energetic, but greatly inexperienced. The trip across the Baltic was mercifully easy, and within a few months they had landed on the beach of what would become known as Sambia.

The Tribe of Pruthenians were no stranger to war, and their forces quickly assembled to repel these invaders. Sigvard and his marshal, Inge Tre Sjoblad rode out to meet the Pruthenian delegation. The Pruthenians demands were simple, leave and live, stay and die.

Sigvard never blinked, he never wavered, he calmly stated, "I am here with my 2nd Brigade, my 1st Brigade is on it's way here from an excursion to the northlands. Their weapons will be thirsty for your blood, their loins thirsty for the choicest of your women. You may tell your Chief that I am Sigvard, Count of Kalmar. My destiny has brought me here, and my destiny will carry me forward. My 2nd brigade will show you the fury of their sword at dawn tomorrow. Tell your Chief to make love to his women tonight, for tomorrow is the beginning of the end of his destiny."

The parlay over, Inge and Sigvard rode back to their lines. "2nd brigade, huh?" Inge asked.

"Never let the enemy know he has you beat," Sigvard countered. "The slightest amount of doubt we can create may be just enough."

The next day, Sigvard gave orders to his officers, the brigade was gathered and they began the long march across the field. The battle was furious, and if his army had been more experienced, they would have most likely routed the Pruthenians.

But the Pruthenians had been warriors for generations, and they were in no mood to go quickly. Sigvard and his forces surrounded the city and the siege began. Word reached Sigvard in 1071 that a third daughter had been born in his absence, Ingegerd.

The blessing of another daughter was stifled by the knowledge that he still had no male heir to carry on whatever his destiny would bring his way. The first victorious siege by what was now known as the 2nd Brigade would end in January of 1072. The Pruthenians were vanquished, and the holdings of the count had doubled, but at no small price. Sigvard was faced with a war debt of 180 florins.

To make matters worse, the settlers of Sambia were revolting against the new regime, destroying the profitability that Sigvard had been counting on.

Sigvard returned home, determined to improve the economy of his holdings. There was also the business of producing an heir. Sancha became pregnant, and in 1074, destiny smiled on him, and Johan, the son he had been wanting was born.

The war debt was another matter, due to the constant revolts in Sambia, it would be 1078 before he would be debt free and the revolts in Sambia finally ended.

The years of paying off his creditors had not been completely wasted, for Sigvar had kept his scouts out in the field, searching for the next chapter of his destiny.

Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

Nasty debt, but good work doubling your demense. Kalmar Lan's in a bit of tight spot, a tiny indy county with the relative giants of Sweden and Norway looming over them.

Love the deception.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

The years of paying off his debts had also provided him with a strategic alliance with the King of Sweden. The King of Sweden, hearing of his great victory, sent delegates to help secure his own precarious position as tensions continued to grow between him and the allied Kingdoms of Denmark and Norway. It was a great honor for the Count, and he quickly accepted, knowing full well the responsibility he bore.

For during the expedition to Sambia, word had reached Sigvard that the Count of Lubeck, who had been one of his oldest friends was under attack by the Tribes of Mecklemburg. Unfortunately for Lubeck, Sigvard could not break away from his siege to come to his assistance. The Count of Lubeck was beheaded, and Sigvard was haunted by the failure.

And so it came to pass that in November of 1078, that the Kingdoms of Norway and Denmark attempted to exert their influence on the region. Sneering at the King of Sweden for aligning himself with a backwoods Count, they sent their armies forward.

Sigvard was torn, for he had finally emerged from his war debts, but duty demanded that he come to the aid of his ally, for who would ever take a man seriously that could not be trusted to keep his word.

The King of Denmark sent his first brigade of 2,000 men into the County of Kalmar Lan. Sigvard could only muster 1,700 men, but these were men who were able, tested and true. More importantly, they were the 2nd Brigade.

Sigvard led his forces out to meet the invaders, he would not hide behind city walls. Destiny would lead him, not hide him. Sigvard spoke quickly to his men, but they needed no instruction. With a fury unseen before, they threw themselves at the lines of the Danes. The line broke under the onslaught, and the King of Denmark got his first taste of the 2nd Brigade.

There was little time for rejoicing, for word had already come that another brigade was approaching the border. Once again, Sigvard rode out to meet them. This time, he met the Danish force at the border. And once again, the 2nd Brigade crushed the Danish force.

When the King of Denmark received the news of the 2 defeats, he sent a messenger seeking peace with Sigvard. Sigvard accepted, and turned his attention to Norway.

The King of Norway had chosen another stratagem, he sent his forces to Sambia where he quickly rode over the few defending forces there. He set siege to the capital. Word reached Sigvard, and with the utmost haste, he summoned the 2nd Brigade.

"You have done all that I have ever asked. Your accomplishments on the field of battle have made you famous and feared. Will you go with me once more to Sambia? Will you go with me to retake back that which you bought with your blood and the blood of your brothers, fathers and sons?

Once again, the 2nd Brigade would go forward to battle. The trip across the Baltic was made as speedily as possible, and they arrived on the same beach that some of them had landed on almost 8 years ago. They fell upon the besieging army of Norway, and once again destiny led the 2nd Brigade to victory.

What few survivors were left of the Norwegian army were put on ships and sent back to their homeland. This act of mercy after a mighty victory inspired the King of Norway to immediately ask for peace, and peace was granted.

Sigvard and the men of the 2nd Brigade sailed home, eager to return to their homes and families. Upon arriving home, he declared a week of celebrations, and proposed an ambitious public works program designed to better the lives of his people, who lived under the protection of the 2nd Brigade.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

I chose them for those very reasons, there are enough big boys in the area to make me play nice, and lots of pagans I can pick off.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Years went by, and the Count busied himself at improving life for his subjects. In November of 1085, the County of Smaland rebelled against the King of Sweden. It was a short rebellion, as Smaland lay directly next to the north of Kalmar Lan and the 2nd Brigade.

When word reached the Count, he did not hesitate to act, but summoned the 2nd Brigade once more. Quickly they marched north, and were the first into the field of battle. The fighting was fierce, for the County of Smaland was much greater in size than Kalmar Lan.

However, the 2nd Brigade greatly outclassed the defending army, and the siege had begun and ended before a brigade from Sweden arrived. So grateful was the King of Sweden that he recognized an ancient claim of Sigvard's and allowed him to keep control of the county. Sigvard's destiny had led him to triple his holdings.

The 2nd Brigade returned home once more to a hero's welcome. Sigvard began to work once more to pay off his war debt and began expanding his public works system into the newly acquired county.

The years continued to pass, and with each additional public work built, Sigvard knew that he was one day closer to fulfilling a pledge that had long haunted his nightmares. For one day, he would lead the 2nd Brigade to reclaim the land that once belonged to his fallen friend, the Count of Lubeck. Sigvard had gone at his first opportunity to the grave of his friend, and it was at that simple grave, that he had vowed to his fallen friend, "One day, the flag of the Mecklemburgs will fly no more upon these lands. Til I draw my last breath, I will not waver until I drive them off."

Sigvard knew that the upcoming battle would be great and fierce, and he dedicated himself to making sure that not only would his soldiers be well taken care of on the field, but that they would need not worry about the families left behind.

And so, with each day, each hour, each breath, the destiny that he had both sought and feared drew closer.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

As the Count finalized plans for his invasion of the Mecklemburgs, the Duke of Gwynedd declared war on the King of Sweden. The Count sent his chancellor to offer his services once again, but the King was confident that the long distance Gwynedd would have to travel would be too much of a burden to overcome, and released the Count to finish his vow.

The day before the ships were to launch, word reached the Count that the Duke of Gwynedd had landed and had convinced the Duke of Uppland to rebel against Sweden, forcing him to fight a two-front war. As his armies were ready and spoiling for a fight, Sigvard dispatched them north to face the Duke of Uppland.

The battle waged on for months and took a heavy toll on the mighty 2nd Brigade. Finally, after sustaining many wounded, they had taken not only the County of Uppland but also the County of Gastrickland that had also rebelled.

The package arrived at the Swedish camp a few days later, containing the heads of the traitors. The King of Sweden was now free to focus all his forces on driving off Gwynedd, which they did in short order. The King offered the Duchy of Uppland and the county of Gastrickland to Sigvard as his reward for loyalty, but more than that, he gave him a new name, Sigvard the Faithful.

Sigvard's plans for his Mecklemburg invasion were put on hold as the army treated it's wounded. It would take two long years before the army would be ready to march, and those years brought much sadness to the land, for Sigvard's wife, Sancha became more and depressed, finally committing suicide. Sigvard's mourned for 1 year before deciding to marry a commoner from his lands, a young lass named Ingrid.

Finally, the army was ready to march and on January 1, 1096, Sigvard declared war on the Tribe of Mecklemburg and his vassals.

His forces, led once more into battle by the 2nd Brigade, landed in late March and began their push through Mecklemburg territory. By December of 1096, the flag of Sigvard flew over the four counties. Despite having his vow fulfilled, Sigvard still seethed at the treachery of the King of Denmark who had rushed into the County of Lubeck while Sigvard was fighting the joint forces of the tribes.

Sigvard would consider his vow only partially fulfilled, and swore that one day his flag would fly over the County of Lubeck even if it meant facing the Danish army.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:34 PM   #7
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Yay update!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Map of Sigvard's Domain (outlined in red):

Sigvard:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

New Wife Ingrid:

Sigard's Heir:
Old 09-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #9
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

The marriage between Sigvard and Ingrid would produce two sons, Hakan and Oystein. Ingrid became pregnant again, but she and the child perished at childbirth. Sigvard would quickly remarry, trying to produce as many heirs as possible before he too would go to be with the fathers.

Sigvard sent an offer of marriage to Siran, a courtier in the county of Stryman. She was a shrewd accountant, and Sigvard hoped that she would be able to make his lands even more profitable.

Shortly after the wedding, Sigvard launched another invasion, this time to take over the territories of Chelminskie and Marienburg, two wealthy counties directly south of Sambia. The battles were over almost before they began as the 2nd Brigade crushed the defenders.

Sigvard returned home to find that Gustav, the son of his diocese bishop had come of age, and was ready to lead the army. For the first time in his reign, Sigvard would have a competent marshal in charge of the 2nd Brigade.

Sigvard returned home once more, once again burdened by a large war debt of close to 1,000 florins. He turned his hand once more to the economy of his regions, and worked to pay it off as quickly as possible. For Sigvard realized that with each passing day, he was coming to the end of his. He was determined that his family would be able to keep what he had accomplished.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #10
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Good reading so far, keep it up!

what does your heir look like?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:56 AM   #11
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Thanks for reading guys, my heir right now is Johan of Kalmar, his pic is up above. I'm hoping that one of the sons from the 2nd marriage develops a higher martial rating so that I can make him the heir. As it is, Johan is pretty unimpressive.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #12
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Johan may have to die heroically for the good of the nation.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:00 AM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

On the other hand, those are really nice diplomacy/stewardship ratings and if you get more adult men in your court, you can have Johan lead some small brigade and let the better warriors command the larger regiments.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #14
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

This is the guy I want to be my heir.