Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-26-2020, 02:54 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Athletes Unlimited

Curious if anyone is aware of these new leagues that are starting up. The softball league draft is today and the season starts tomorrow. There's going to be a volleyball league starting in 2021.

Anyway, the unique thing about these leagues is that they are individual-driven, not team-driven. It's basically fantasy sports played out on the field. Each week, the top 4 players in points draft their team for the next week and they play games, accumulating points (a combination of individual, team and MVP points determined like fantasy points), and then they determine the top 4 for that week, redraft, and play another week. I assume at the end, one player "wins" the league with the most accumulated total points.

I don't know what this is going to look like as the "future of pro sports" (much like Dippin' Dots is not the future of ice cream), but the concept is certainly unique and for softball anyway, it makes some sense. College softball has always been considered the pinnacle of the sport (especially after SB got kicked out of the Olympics) and pro leagues have failed to gain any traction. So instead of trying to build a fanbase in 4 random (and ever-changing) cities with players no one necessarily has a tie to, now you can follow your favorite former college player individually since team only marginally matters and will always change. And there's the daily/weekly fantasy sports angle to the way the league works.

ESPN2 and CBSSN will be televising most of the games, with the rest on ESPN3. So they've got a decent chance at exposure. And they have some decent sponsors as well (Geico, Nike, Carvana). It's only a 5 or 6 week deal, so maybe it will work. Also, playing all the games in one spot works perfectly for the pandemic, even though it was all planned prior to the last 6 months.

Here's the website:

Athletes Unlimited | New Leagues for the World's Best Athletes.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-26-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I read this today, and almost posted it myself with a thread title of "Possibly Dumbest Sports Thing I've Ever Read"

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-26-2020 at 03:35 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:15 PM   #3
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I am so confused.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:20 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
now you can follow your favorite former college player individually since team only marginally matters and will always change.

But set aside the name on the front of the jersey & how many (non-genetically tied) people gave the slightest damn about any of the players anyway?

That's among the more glaring issues I see with this.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
cuervo72
Head Coach

This sounds like it might revolutionize the way...
Old 08-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
But set aside the name on the front of the jersey & how many (non-genetically tied) people gave the slightest damn about any of the players anyway?

Like I said, for a sport like SB it actually makes some sort of sense. I don't know if it will work, but a traditional league structure definitively does not work. The only way I think it could work is creating a league of teams made up of players from regional colleges. So, a team in Orlando with players from UF, FSU etc. Something close to a post-grad college setup.

As it stands, college SB fans are way more likely to follow individual players than a team based in Cleveland made up of 20 random players.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #7
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm interested because I have a relationship with softball.

I won't be watching the volleyball league.

It is an interesting idea though.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:11 PM   #8
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

I don't think they expect to get casual sports fans to watch. I think this is more about trying to capitalize on how well college SB draws for TV and has increased dramatically over the past 6-8 years.

So the people watching will have some investment in the players. Theoretically.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-26-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:32 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
As it stands, college SB fans are way more likely to follow individual players than a team based in Cleveland made up of 20 random players.

That's what I don't buy. Once you take the (college) team name off the front of the jersey, I don't believe the drawing power remains particularly significant.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:11 PM   #10
Ksyrup

Oh believe me, there are a significant number of college softball fans who will be rooting for Kelly Barnhill to get called for an illegal pitch every damn ball she throws, regardless of whether she is in Gator gear or not.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:34 PM   #11
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Sort of blows the idea of "team sports" out of the water.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 08-26-2020 at 06:39 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:39 PM   #12
molson
General Manager

I think this is basically now the NWA Battlebowl worked.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:46 PM   #13
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Sort of blows the idea of "team sports" out of the water.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Well yeah, I guess that's the point. It's the "fantasy team" mindset they are going for, I suppose. Players get points for individual stats, team stats (winning an inning, etc.), and something called MVP points. So team performance matters, but the players' teams are completely interchangeable in a weekly fantasy draft-type format.

It's bizarre and I don't have any clue if it will draw an audience at all, but it's definitely thinking outside the box.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-26-2020 at 06:47 PM.