Celtics vs Thunder 2 4.26%
Celtics vs Spurs 0 0%
Comedy Pacers vs Grizzlies option(Stern says no) 3 6.38%
Other(please list) 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #101
korme
Go Reds

But could you imagine if they traded Varejao and were terribly terrible again and got a Nerlens Noel? Now THATS a promising team!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #102
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I think the thing is that everyone recognizes that he will get hurt and miss large chunks of the season. The Cavs probably also recognize that they are a much better team when he is on the floor and they are attempting to put forth a decent product for the fans.

Yes on both cases. Watching the game yesterday, I'd actually forgotten how much of an impact he can have on a game barely taking any shots. Who is the last big that could do that? We're talking more than just Rodman-like rebounding too, it's his passing, defensive hustle, etc.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #103
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Why'd we have a lockout? I thought the owners were poor and didn't want to keep overpaying guys

Looking at this batch of extensions-
Dermar Derozan-4/40, ty lawson 4/48, ibaka 4/48, curry 4/44, Harden 5/80....it just seems like the more things change, the more they stay the same.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #104
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
But could you imagine if they traded Varejao and were terribly terrible again and got a Nerlens Noel? Now THATS a promising team!

2 years of being fucking horrible is bad enough. If they keep tanking they may as well move the team. I'm about done as it is, i hate the long rebuild.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #105
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Why'd we have a lockout? I thought the owners were poor and didn't want to keep overpaying guys

Looking at this batch of extensions-
Dermar Derozan-4/40, ty lawson 4/48, ibaka 4/48, curry 4/44, Harden 5/80....it just seems like the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Under the old system, guys like Curry might have gotten a max deal and Harden too. Those seem like bargain deals.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #106
Groundhog
Coordinator

Harden looking pretty spectacular right now (...against the Pistons...), mostly.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:14 PM   #107
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Harden finishes with 37 points on 14 for 25, 12 assists, and 6 boards. Wow

I'm irrationally giddy

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #108
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Harden finishes with 37 points on 14 for 25, 12 assists, and 6 boards. Wow

I'm irrationally giddy

SI

The best Rockets play was pretty much:

1) Give ball to Harden
2) ???
3) basket!

If he wasn't knocking down a shot he was making some pretty spectacular passes to open guys, both around the basket and outside.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 PM   #109
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If only I could have seen it. But, alas, cable dispute so the game was not on here

Hard to work in a new guy a couple of days after you get him. And it's going to be ugly against a good team- tons of turnovers tonight. But some of that will smooth itself out

SI

Old 10-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #110
Danny
Head Coach

Thunder were stupid, they should have payed harden
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:52 PM   #111
RainMaker
General Manager

Taj Gibson agrees to 4 year, $38m extension.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:38 PM   #112
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

How about them Lakers?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #113
bhlloy
Coordinator

It's spectacular how bad a coach Mike Brown is. Just WTF how does this guy coach a team in the NBA, let alone the most talented team in the league
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #114
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My disdain of Mike Brown is well documented on these boards. he needs to be punched in the fat fucking face all the time. He's like the romeo crennel of basketball.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:43 AM   #115
Groundhog
Coordinator

The Lakers look completely lost. Today it was on defense, yesterday it was on both ends.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:47 AM   #116
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Thunder were stupid, they should have payed harden

Don't want to get too excited after one solid performance by Harden, but I wonder.... Would the Thunder perhaps have been better served keeping Harden, and losing Westbrook instead? Either get a starting PG (Lowry?) in a trade or run with Maynor. I know that super PGs are pretty much all the rage right now, but what was the last championship team to have one? Rondo wasn't at that stage yet with Boston, so I guess Tony Parker maybe? Considering the amount of times Westbrook's non-passing has become an 'issue' - in the press if not the locker room - maybe the twin-scoring wings would have been the way for the Thunder to go.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #117
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i've probably wasted too many brain cells thinking about it but i can't get over how dumb it seems (harden trade)

if the heat are the team you need to beat, and the heat beat you by going small with bosh playing a 'wide 5' then... wtf? why do you need perkins?
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #118
MrBug708
Head Coach

Oh Mike Brown..
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #119
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
The Lakers look completely lost. Today it was on defense, yesterday it was on both ends.

50% improvement!

SI

Old 11-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #120
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Clippers won an exciting game at home over their playoff opponent last year, the Grizzlies.

It was a solid win over a good team, the kind you expect to get at home if you're a good team expected to win.

I won't say it went all that smooth. Crawford went off, scored 29 off the bench, so this was one of those games he shot the Clips to a win. But everyone knows he will shoot you out as soon as shoot you in.

DJ had 9 turnovers--9!!! How does a center turn the ball over nine times? My fantasy team wants to know.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #121
korme
Go Reds

Harden's press conference really gave more light to the fact that he didn't like being 3rd banana that much. I think he's ready to put up some serious numbers. Good for him
Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #122
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
2 years of being fucking horrible is bad enough. If they keep tanking they may as well move the team. I'm about done as it is, i hate the long rebuild.

It's better to be extremely crappy than halfway decent though. Yeah, garbage teams are shitty but would you rather go from Sonics-bad to Thunder or just be the Hawks every year?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #123
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

even w/ a lottery pick you need the stars to align. there are more weak classes than strong ones
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #124
spleen1015
Coordinator

Pacers.

Undefeated.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #125
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's better to be extremely crappy than halfway decent though. Yeah, garbage teams are shitty but would you rather go from Sonics-bad to Thunder or just be the Hawks every year?

Hello, Houston the last 3 years: 14th pick and #9 seed!

SI

Old 11-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #126
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
i've probably wasted too many brain cells thinking about it but i can't get over how dumb it seems (harden trade)

if the heat are the team you need to beat, and the heat beat you by going small with bosh playing a 'wide 5' then... wtf? why do you need perkins?

The thinking would be that you have to get out of the West and that means dealing with Howard, the Gasols, etc.

I think the simple explanation is CBA that was signed last year does not allow for this type of team to be built with big contracts. so choices will have to be made.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #127
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That type of luck in a rebuild doesn't usually happen. The Cavs only earned the #4 pick the last 2 years and were just lucky that the Clippers pick hit a 1 outer to win the lotto. And we still have basically nothing to show for 2 years of painful basketball.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #128
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
That type of luck in a rebuild doesn't usually happen. The Cavs only earned the #4 pick the last 2 years and were just lucky that the Clippers pick hit a 1 outer to win the lotto. And we still have basically nothing to show for 2 years of painful basketball.

Could be looking a little better if they didn't draft Thompson and Waiters with those #4 picks, no?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #129
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think they drafted the wrong guys as well, but it's too soon to tell if anyone drafted after pick 4 will be anything substantially better than what they have. And even if it's a better player, it does not appear that anyone drafted after Thompson at #4 is going to be a bonafide stud player who will make multiple all star games. At least as of now.

I hate the Cavs front office btw.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #130
Logan
Head Coach

I thought that kid Toronto drafted and stashed with the next pick was supposed to be pretty impressive.

Last edited by Logan : 11-01-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #131
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Even if Valanciunas is the 3rd best center in the league, in a league where big men don't really matter, it would still take years to build a team through the draft without accumulating top 20 free agents.

I think even if Kyrie is like the 20th best player in the league and Val- becomes like the 30th best player in the league, the deck is so stacked against you ever winning anything.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #132
whomario
Pro Starter

i think this season will be all sorts of fun

Very surprised the Thunder went with Thabeet in their rotation over Perry Jones, basically deciding against small ball for the time being. (Thabeet actually looked decent and has in the preseason. Once you look besides the bust label, i think he could really be an asset still)
Kevin Martin had a really good game as well, same with Durant.

For the spurs, Diaw was really good (the guys feel for the game is just a sight to behold)

Nice playcall and great game winner by Parker at the end there

- On the Harde trade : Sth that hasn´t been said (i think) is that Lin will also profit from playing with Harden imo, very tough for defenses to gameplan for 2 guys with that mix of scoring and passing ability.
I actually see the Thunder´s point about not needing 3 perimeter stars, the problem is that now they lost their one guy that could break down a defense and have the passing ability to make the smart play. Westbrook is great for putting the pressure on teams, but i wouldn´t trust him as the only pick and roll threar (Durant has come a ways in that regard, but at the end of the day he is a 6´10 guy with slightly above average but definitely not elite or even very good passing and limited in certain ways)

The Rockets now have to try to spread playing time around up front to showcase them and then try to get sth in return for some of their gazilion PFs. Harden, Lin, Asik isn´t a half bad core to have.

other musings:

- Joakim Noah was absolute amazing. Anybody seen that game ? He ran circles around Cousins and was a beat on defense as well, the guy was basically everywhere.

- Anthony Davis had a good line, but also had a lot of very basic plays he screwed up on both ends. Not very patient on offense or defense. Greivis Vazquez on the other hand impressed me.

- Lillard is really good. Could be a more physichal (and less often injured) version of Steph Curry. Leonard also looked good, very fundamentally sound. Likely won´t put up huge numbers, but know how to play on both ends.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #133
korme
Go Reds

I hope everyone has NBAtv and has had the pleasure of watching Open Court
Old 11-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #134
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I hope everyone has NBAtv and has had the pleasure of watching Open Court

I watched it the other night. It was pretty fun to watch.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #135
whomario
Pro Starter

What is it ?

some intriguing stats (which i hadn´t had time to check, but the guy who posted them is very trustworthy when it comes to theese numbers) :

Harden with Durant: 13.7/4.7/3.2 je 36 min bei 60.3 TS%
Harden without Durant: 26.7/4.8/4.8 je 36 min bei 65.1 TS%

accumulated over the last 2 seasons.

That´s confirming the visual impression i had, there´s a reason why there´s this much outrage over a 6th man being traded away.

Harden imo can become a 38 Minute version of Manu with maybe even better shooting numbers (but slightly worse defense) and a 38 minute version of Manu would have been pretty much up there with the best perimeter players in the league.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 11-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #136
korme
Go Reds

Three episodes so far this season, multitude of topics discussed between Shaq, Chuck, Kenny, Kerr, Reggie Miller, Steve Smith, CWebb, hosted by Ernie.

It's quite entertaining.

To your point about Harden whomario, do you think Harden could compete with Durant for league lead in PPG?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #137
whomario
Pro Starter

Everything´s possible, although i don´t think it´s likely as there´s bound to be some growin pains for him in the new role. But he´ll certainly get the shots and Houston has a couple good passers on the roster as well (Lin can break down a defense, Parsons can create mismatches and is an excellent passer) so he won´t have to create everything for himself.

If i had to bet on it i´d say 24 PPG

neat gif, reason 8921 why Tim Duncan game film should be mandatory viewing for every big man :

Last edited by whomario : 11-02-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #138
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We're not going to see one like Tim Duncan for a while. He's a little like the Greg Maddux of the NBA: good raw physical talent but also so fundamentally strong and smart.

SI

Old 11-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #139
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Harden with 45 pts and 7 boards, Lin with 21 pts/10 reb/7 assist, Omer Asik with 19 boards... and 0 points. Houston 2-0 now with a win in Atlanta.

SI

Old 11-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #140
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Damn, Harden is going OFF.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #141
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

But just wait until OKC gets a late lottery pick.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #142
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They get Toronto's pick.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:31 AM   #143
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Really happy that The Basketball Jones is back on Grantland

Last edited by stevew : 11-03-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #144
MrBug708
Head Coach

Hmmm..
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:42 AM   #145
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'll be wildly bold here. Lakers are not as bad as their start indicates. James Harden is not as good as his start.

Sign me up TNT!!! I'm as deep as Chris Broussard!
Old 11-03-2012, 02:42 AM   #146
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dola-
Would be hilarious if Dwight has a miserable year in LA and bolts this summer.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:49 AM   #147
stevew
Hall Of Famer

trola-
The Thunder need to hire the Red Sox smear campaign guys and get out in front of this Harden story. Start smearing him, or this could destroy the Thunder season.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #148
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
I'll be wildly bold here. Lakers are not as bad as their start indicates. James Harden is not as good as his start.

What if Harden is as good as his start? He just needed Jeremy Lin as his muse.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #149
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down there, Einstein

SI

Old 11-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #150
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
What if Harden is as good as his start? He just needed Jeremy Lin as his muse.

He's clearly the George Harrison of the group, not the John Lenon.