Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #1001
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
It seems to me that the real disagreement from Jon stems from the singular argument of "choosing" to be gay (and pick your objection...naturalistic, religious text, etc.) vs "born" gay (and pick your argument here..."gay" gene, we're all born bisexual & some repress it less, etc.).

I've tried to wrap my mind around the "choosing to be gay" argument for a really long time and just can't do it. There is just no way you could get me to choose to have sex with a dude.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #1002
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
If there's a book telling you that, if you only have two choices, you'd rather your son have cancer than be gay...I'm sorry, but you need a new fucking book.

Like maybe one written by any parent who has lost their kid to pediatric cancer and would do anything for another hour with them. Hell, even a blog of Facebook post would do. I'd be happy to refer you to some so you can get some perspective on life.

Talk about offensive.

Big +1. I would say sad more than offenisive but it could be both. I would much rather last year that my brother was in a gay wedding than having his most of his esophagus removed with a 50/50 shot of 5 year survival.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #1003
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
If there's a book telling you that, if you only have two choices, you'd rather your son have cancer than be gay...I'm sorry, but you need a new fucking book.

Like maybe one written by any parent who has lost their kid to pediatric cancer and would do anything for another hour with them. Hell, even a blog of Facebook post would do. I'd be happy to refer you to some so you can get some perspective on life.

Talk about offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
That right there is one of the most offensive things I have ever seen anybody say or write. I can't even imagine what kind of deranged person would think that, let alone share that with anybody. You are one fucked up person!

+1 to both of these.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #1004
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Were you guys inspired to kiss each other immediately after watching it? Because, you know, that how it works, the gayness.

No. Not even a little. In fact we went to a UFC event later that night to wash off the gay.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #1005
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
No. Not even a little. In fact we went to a UFC event later that night to wash off the gay.

You mean an event with nearly naked guys rolling around on the floor together?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #1006
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
You mean an event with nearly naked guys rolling around on the floor together?

Old 05-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #1007
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I've tried to wrap my mind around the "choosing to be gay" argument for a really long time and just can't do it. There is just no way you could get me to choose to have sex with a dude.
There are those that would argue we're all born bisexual (or essentially without sexual prejudice to gender) and our environment/society/values steer us to repress our desires to homosexuality to favor heterosexuality to enable our survival. So if you are hetero-, you "chose" (perhaps requiring systematic brainwashing your entire life) to repress your desires. If you are gay, you "chose" to repress your desires by rejecting your environmental brainwashing. And if you are bisexual (or open to the idea of it), you are free(freer anyway) from prejudices imposed on you by your environment.

I'm not sure I subscribe to the logic & arguments out there for it (Innate bisexuality is the term I believe) but I guess I can't really be certain if I don't believe in free will. Its a paradox I guess.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #1008
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Fair point
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #1009
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
There are those that would argue we're all born bisexual (or essentially without sexual prejudice to gender) and our environment/society/values steer us to repress our desires to homosexuality to favor heterosexuality to enable our survival. So if you are hetero-, you "chose" (perhaps requiring systematic brainwashing your entire life) to repress your desires. If you are gay, you "chose" to repress your desires by rejecting your environmental brainwashing. And if you are bisexual (or open to the idea of it), you are free(freer anyway) from prejudices imposed on you by your environment.

I'm not sure I subscribe to the logic & arguments out there for it (Innate bisexuality is the term I believe) but I guess I can't really be certain if I don't believe in free will. Its a paradox I guess.

I've never looked into studies or anything as in depth as you discuss above but I've always wondered if very few are ever 100% gay or straight, but that we all land somewhere along the scale rather than at the extreme ends of the spectrum. Maybe never far close enough to the other end to engage in any acts with whatever gender lies on the far end of the scale, but still capable of feeling attraction or impulses towards them.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #1010
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I doubt anyone ever thought this thread would go like this:

Old 05-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #1011
lungs
Pro Rookie

Gunning for Tony Romo's job:
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #1012
molson
General Manager

We should have a draft of how we'd like our baby to turn out. Like, there would be a whole list of characteristics - gay, black, handicapped, Jewish, Yankee fan, and then everybody has to take turns picking until we run out.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #1013
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
We should have a draft of how we'd like our baby to turn out. Like, there would be a whole list of characteristics - gay, black, handicapped, Jewish, Yankee fan, and then everybody has to take turns picking until we run out.

Some things shouldn't be wished on anyone
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #1014
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Generally you wouldn't replace a guy in a popular jersey with another guy wearing that exact same number. Or I'd think not, who knows.

You let the players wear the numbers they want. Profit ensues.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #1015
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I am sure that thread would be hugely offensive with all sorts of penalty boxings and possibly even bannings. I do admit I would probably check in it a few times a day though.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #1016
Super Ugly
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

Outstanding.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #1017
DanGarion
Coordinator

I'll take gay with my #1 pick.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #1018
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

Wow he's great at holding a football like an idiot. I'm not sure how that translates to the field though.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #1019
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quite liked the Seahawks draft this year. Between the guys coming in and the players from last year that essentially red shirted, they've got a lot of options to create competition almost across the board. Sure there are some spots (like QB1, FS1, SS1, CB1) locked up, but quite a few spots on the team will go to those that earn them in camp. Even brought in a FB with a late round pick just to ensure that there's competition for that spot as well.

Also appreciating that they're keeping an eye towards next year with these picks as quite a few can make the team this year for special teams roles and will have a year to be coached up so that they can compete for spots next year as current starters aren't brought back for various reasons.

Going to be very interesting to watch how both the offensive and defensive line battles play out.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #1020
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post

I've had this talk with both of my older kids. As long as they're happy people who harm no one else, I'm good with whatever choices they make in life.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #1021
chadritt
High School Varsity

Honestly I wouldnt take gay #1 just because id be scared of people like Jon. Being a straight Jew I can only really guess but Jew is mostly a non-issue, at least where Ive lived, so that would be #1. Yankee fan is definitely last though.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #1022
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Bi-sexual, ambidextrious, albino Eskimo is still on the board. How far will they fall?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #1023
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Good to know that Richard Sherman wasn't the highest paid DB in the league for long...

Browns, Joe Haden agree to new contract through 2019 | ProFootballTalk
Old 05-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #1024
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post

Question is - how far down would "like certain FOFC posters" slip?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #1025
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Good to know that Richard Sherman wasn't the highest paid DB in the league for long...

So glad the Seahawks got Sherman done before Haden or Peterson got their new deals, never mind how much more it would have likely cost them to wait until next year to extend him or the year after that if they tagged him after this season. It's really too bad they can't extend Wilson now before guys like Kaepernick sign new deals.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #1026
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:

I guess my only question is who do the Browns think they need Haden & Gilbert to defend against? I mean, its nice to have 2 solid CBs and allows you to run some more aggressive fronts and all, but thats is a team with a lotta needs there. And the teams they need to beat aren't loaded at WR and/or really very pass-happy unless they are putting themselves up with Denver or NE already.

IDK...just seems a Sammy Watkins at 4 would have benefited them more than a CB.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #1027
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I've had this talk with both of my older kids. As long as they're happy people who harm no one else, I'm good with whatever choices they make in life.

Yeah I'm not getting the faux outrage I was seeing on Twitter, etc.

My son is 7. I know him pretty well. The conversation would have gone like this (had he even cared to notice the event):

Sam: Why are those boys kissing?
Me: They love each other
Sam: Can we go play hockey in the driveway?
Old 05-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #1028
chadritt
High School Varsity

maybe they realized that they just saved a TON of money on Gordons next contract so they might as well?
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #1029
Subby
lolzcat

I think the answer is obvious. Son would have cancer chosen by his father and then his dying words to dad are "I'm gay".
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #1030
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Maybe the failed test isn't as cut and dry as the media is making it out to be? Perhaps the Browns are in a 'wait and see mode' regarding Gordon. They could make a play for Crabtree now that the Niners have brought in Stevie Johnson.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #1031
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I think the answer is obvious. Son would have cancer chosen by his father and then his dying words to dad are "I'm gay".

Ouch!
Old 05-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #1032
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Michigan and USC are now tied for the lead in terms of longest streak with a draft pick since Texas had none.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:12 PM   #1033
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You need to factor in the 1st rounder they get next year as well. I doubt many expect the Bills to be that great since NE tends to win the division by default. The Bills might be a 9-7 at best.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #1034
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Yeah I'm not getting the faux outrage I was seeing on Twitter, etc.

My son is 7. I know him pretty well. The conversation would have gone like this (had he even cared to notice the event):

Sam: Why are those boys kissing?
Me: They love each other
Sam: Can we go play hockey in the driveway?

SR: Sure! /sprays Sam with a water bottle and laughs
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #1035
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
SR: Sure! /sprays Sam with a water bottle and laughs

I can't decide how this is supposed to end.

a) I owe Sam between $2820.52 and $5000.00
b) he tells me he's gay
c) one of us has cancer
Old 05-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #1036
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

2014 NFL draft: Deconstructing the four-way battle for pick No. 22 | The MMQB with Peter King

On the Bridgewater vs. Manziel debate.

2014 NFL draft: Teddy Bridgewater didn't want to be drafted by Cleveland Browns | Audibles - SI.com

Easy to say now, but Bridgewater didn't seem to want to go to Cleveland either.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #1037
BillJasper
Pro Starter

2015 NFL Mock Draft: Cedric Ogbuehi goes No. 1 to Oakland Raiders | Audibles - SI.com
Old 05-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #1038
BillJasper
Pro Starter

CFL drops the hammer on one of their players over Sam...

CFL fines Calgary Stampeders’ Maurice Price for ‘repugnant’ Michael Sam tweet | National Post
Old 05-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #1039
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I guess my only question is who do the Browns think they need Haden & Gilbert to defend against? I mean, its nice to have 2 solid CBs and allows you to run some more aggressive fronts and all, but thats is a team with a lotta needs there. And the teams they need to beat aren't loaded at WR and/or really very pass-happy unless they are putting themselves up with Denver or NE already.

I don't have a problem with the trade down to 9 given what they picked up. Deciding to trade up (even if only just a little) to get a 2nd CB was weird, especially because no one really seemed to think there was much separation between Gilbert, Fuller and Dennard.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #1040
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

There was so much talk of the Pats and Texans doing a trade that involved Mallet, and now that it hasn't happened(so far), I think drafting Garoppolo seems odd unless they really don't have that much faith in Mallet.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #1041
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
There was so much talk of the Pats and Texans doing a trade that involved Mallet, and now that it hasn't happened(so far), I think drafting Garoppolo seems odd unless they really don't have that much faith in Mallet.
I never saw the Patriots re-signing Mallett after this season - someone will offer him more than a backup QB should get, and the timing isn't right for him to take over from Brady (I also don't think he's good... but that's a different argument.) We like having the backup QB's on a rookie contract - Kevin O'Connell was similarly picked in the 3rd round in 2008 despite Matt Cassel still being on the roster.

I do agree that it's a little weird and I do hope Mallett gets traded during training camp if Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't cutting it, but again similar to Cassel there is a chance they wait until this offseason, make him their franchise player and trade him before FA starts.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:28 AM   #1042
mrtourette
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

Interesting read, especially as a Miami fan as they should have been able to trade down and stil make the same pick. If the Browns gazumped three teams to get to #22 then couldn't Miami have given one of them the opportunity to jump ahead of the Browns to #19?

EDIT: Although I guess it would have been too late by that point. D'oh!

Last edited by mrtourette : 05-14-2014 at 03:29 AM.
mrtourette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:42 AM   #1043
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I do agree that it's a little weird and I do hope Mallett gets traded during training camp if Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't cutting it, but again similar to Cassel there is a chance they wait until this offseason, make him their franchise player and trade him before FA starts.

If Mallet gets franchised next year, something has gone horribly wrong for your team in 2014.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:50 AM   #1044
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
If Mallet gets franchised next year, something has gone horribly wrong for your team in 2014.

No doubt. Cassel had an 11-5 season under his belt as a starter before getting franchised and traded. I doubt the Patriots would use up twenty-million in cap space to franchise someone holding a clipboard.