Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

2012 Spring Severe Weather Thread

With the latest and updated High Risk Probability just released, it's probably time to create a threat just for this event. Bad stuff already happening in Alabama and into Tennessee, it looks like.

Storm Prediction Center Mar 2, 2012 1630 UTC Day 1 Convective Outlook

Fuck me.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-02-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Ksyrup

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

AP reports that several houses were "leveled" in Walker Lane area of #Huntsville, AL
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The hail we got at around 11 was pretty bad. Nickel and dime size stuff- not huge- but it was really plentiful

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Also CNN is reporting that a tornado touched down in Limestone County before the tornado alarms were even sound.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
Ksyrup

One of the good things about my house is that we've got a room directly under the garage that we use for storage but we also use as a shelter. Completely concreted in, underground, and the garage sits on it but is not an integral part of the roof structure of the room, so we should be about as safe as we can possibly be if we are in the path of anything.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Guh. The updated map shows us here in Southern Dayton area being in the High area. Hopefully they are just being cautious
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Guh. The updated map shows us here in Southern Dayton area being in the High area. Hopefully they are just being cautious

Hate to say it, but high is rarely cautious. NOAA isn't like weather.com where they have a vested interest in making an event bigger.

It's all based on percentages, tho. It means there is a 30% or greater chance of a tornado within 25 miles of you today. Take that statement apart: There's a 1 in 3 chance that you have a tornado on the other side of the country from you. That's pretty good odds.

However, it's pretty rare to even have a "high" on the map. Storm Prediction Center has maybe 5 "high" spots in a typical year so the odds are as bad as it gets.

SI

Old 03-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
Ksyrup

You're not helping.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm not trying to sound all doom and gloom (again, 30% chance in a 25 mi radius are pretty good odds) but it is kindof bad. Better to be wary but not scary- wow, I can't believe I just typed that. It was an unfortunate rhyme.

SI

Old 03-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
Ksyrup

Damn, looks like all the big boys are here to track the storm. Jim Cantore's over in Louisville (though I wonder if he'll head further east with that new "high risk" zone), Reed Timmer is here:

Reed Timmer@reedtimmerTVN
Here is the storm with confirmed tornado in Wayne Co we are targeting. Will meet at MS River. Standby

...and Texas Storm Chasers are here, promising a live feed at Live Video | Texas Storm Chasers when they intercept a tornado. The map on that page is pretty good by itself, though, for real-time tracking of tornados, hail, etc.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-02-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I know the Dayton news had some random special person because the whole crew is coming in later this afternoon. I kinda love watching the Dayton news people. They are borderline psychotic when it comes to weather.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, if the Angel of Death is there, just run far, far away

SI

Old 03-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
Ksyrup

One of the local long-time weather guys here in central KY surprisingly announced his retirement on Tuesday, effective tonight. He'll definitely be going out with a bang. No last day, drumming the fingers on the desk, packing up your shit and getting ready for a quick forecast and then out the door for him.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Well, if the Angel of Death is there, just run far, far away

SI

If he really sounds like Norm MacDonald I may have no choice but to invite him in.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #16
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

An hour ago OH South was a 3-4 on the TORCON. Now an 8.

These are the times I really wish I had gotten a weather radio.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #17
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

{rant on}I'm not a fan of "TOR:CON"- there's no numbers to it other than 1-10 and it seems just to be a ratings booster for TWC{/rant off}

SI

Old 03-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Damn. My mother, brother and almost all of my wife's extended family is in the high bubble.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #19
Ksyrup

We've had rain all morning, but it's now clearing up and the sun is starting to peak out. Not good at all.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #20
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
{rant on}I'm not a fan of "TOR:CON"- there's no numbers to it other than 1-10 and it seems just to be a ratings booster for TWC{/rant off}

SI

So you're saying TOR:CON = QBR?
Old 03-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #21
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Our pressure is at 29.39 right now but the front is still mostly at the Illinois/Indiana border and the stronger stuff is going to be south of Indy, for the most part. I don't think I'd want to be in Louisville today

SI

Old 03-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #22
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So you're saying TOR:CON = QBR?

Nah, QBR doesn't even make sense. TOR:CON, at least, has a purpose even if it's not a good one

SI

Old 03-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #23
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

most schools in the area had half of a school day today. I am already bunkered up in the house. If we already did not take these typs of things seriously, last April 27 is in our heads now.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #24
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

TOR:CON seems like it's a nice way to just see a single value and be able to get a rough picture. The quality of it probably depends upon the person behind the scenes determining the value to give, correct?
Old 03-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #25
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I heard that one Kentucky high school's production of "The Wizard of Oz" has been postponed due to the threat of tornadoes. Irony at its finest.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #26
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Storm Prediction Center Storm Reports - Last 3 Hours

15 tornado reports already and the big stuff has yet to hit.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #27
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Looks like it's mostly past us. The temperature is going to fall like a rock in the next couple of hours

SI

Old 03-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #28
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd assume that I'm not the only one getting destroyed by the changing weather allergy wise. I used some Claritin D last month, it sorta worked through a bad spell. Lately I can't get past my sinus's feeling fine one day, and dry as fuck another. I tried some Mucinex-D which seems to work a bit better. It's also expensive as fuck. And I hate getting on the meth-smurf watch list since I do transport pharma every day. I'm going to see if maybe Zyrtec can help me out. I'm having a hard time functioning right now.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'd assume that I'm not the only one getting destroyed by the changing weather allergy wise. I used some Claritin D last month, it sorta worked through a bad spell. Lately I can't get past my sinus's feeling fine one day, and dry as fuck another. I tried some Mucinex-D which seems to work a bit better. It's also expensive as fuck. And I hate getting on the meth-smurf watch list since I do transport pharma every day. I'm going to see if maybe Zyrtec can help me out. I'm having a hard time functioning right now.

See if you can find a storebrand of the Mucinex, wife has used Kroger's and worked just as well.

And if you thought Mucinex was pricey, wait'll you get a load of Zyrtec (unless your market is totally different than mine)
Old 03-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #30
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
My allergies had always been brutal, but last fall my doctor put me on nasal steroids, and it has been 10000% better. I haven't had any sinus issues since I started using the stuff.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #31
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Northern KY and Cincinnati region looks like it's getting rocked.

7Wx Now Livestream | www.whiotv.com
Old 03-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #32
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Seems more of an extreme early Spring dichotomy: 70s-80s in front and 30s-40s behind. Snow flurries all day here after the winds.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #33
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Unless I'm counting wrong, 11 current tornado warnings

SI

Old 03-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My Way News - Authorities: 'Extreme' tornado damage in Indiana

JEFFERSONVILLE, Ind. (AP) - Authorities say tornadoes have left widespread damage in southern Indiana and a sheriff's official says at least one town is "completely gone."

National Weather Service coordinator Bill Whitlock says the agency is tracking "extreme damage" in the Henryville area, about 20 miles north of Louisville, Ky.

Clark County Sheriff's Department Maj. Chuck Adams says the nearby town of Marysville is "completely gone."

Authorities have not confirmed any injuries or fatalities.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-02-2012 at 03:37 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #35
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Chattanooga: Severe injuries reported in Harrison area hit by tornado | timesfreepress.com

At least 16 injuries, 6-8 "severely"

This same cell passed through the general vicinity of my wife's hometown a short time later, so far just moderate property damage reported there (Cleveland, TN)
Old 03-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #36
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Crap, I have an aunt, uncle and cousin that live in that area.

Edit: The first story, Indiana.

Last edited by EagleFan : 03-02-2012 at 03:44 PM.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #37
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Crap, I have an aunt, uncle and cousin that live in that area.

The Indiana or the Tennessee?

edit: saw the answer

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-02-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #38
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

EF - Hope all your folks are okay.

Sounds like it was pretty nasty there, reports of a multiple vortex (tornado in a tornado.
Tornadoes level Marysville, IN; possible fatalities in several s - WAVE 3 News - Louisville, Kentucky

To this point, the unconfirmed reports of fatalities are not from Marysville or Henryville, but rather in Chelsea & Pekin.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-02-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #39
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Starting to head into east central KY. Hope my wife's family stays safe.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #40
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Nashville. Creepy.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 03-02-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #41
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Nashville.

Just had an FB friend in the Nashville area post that she was headed to their "safe area" with the kids.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #42
Ksyrup

We're in the basement shelter under 2 successive tornado warnings for different cells.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #43
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Nashville stream for those interested

http://www.wkrn.com/category/207882/livestream

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 03-02-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #44
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Henryville, Indiana stream from a helicopter. Not good.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
Old 03-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #45
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just had an FB friend in the Nashville area post that she was headed to their "safe area" with the kids.
A dear friend of ours in Nashville had her first child last night. And a few minutes ago she just posted...
Quote:
Sitting in the hallway of Baptist Hospital enjoying Harrison's first tornado warning.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #46
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Picture of the damage in Marysville, IN

Old 03-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #47
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well we were in the basement for an hour today. Before we got home, the Mrs and I were out shopping so we raced home but didn't make it before the boys got home. We were on the highway and it's the first time that I've seen falling debris ahead of a storm. It's nice to be able to pull straight into the driveway and head right to the basement.

We had a lot of rain, but not the severity that we were expecting since our house was right in the path of a cell that had created tornado's throughout the day.

All's well from Northern Kentucky.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #48
Ksyrup

Looks like Lexington area is pretty much done with the worst of it. Everything now is on a line from Bowling Green to Richmond and East. We actually had the sun come out while it was storming and for 10 minutes or so after it stopped.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #49
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

It's days like today where I'll take Michigan's cold, ice, and snow since we tend not to get storms on this level. I feel for anybody inconvenienced by this.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

NWS just posted watches for the Chattanooga/Cleveland TN area, pointed out (apparently) that the projected path is near identical to the April 2011 fatal twisters.