Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #5001
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

talk about scorched earth
Quote:
When asked about the Texas Longhorns and the rumored mutual interest between the two, Swofford complimented the school but said he couldn't comment. Later, he called the ACC's revenue sharing arrangement "sacred," which would seem to rule out the onboarding of Texas and its Longhorn Network if true.

Then, Swofford admitted the ACC's basketball tournament could move to Madison Square Garden on a rotational basis. Which, whoa! Moving the conference's most prized event out of North Carolina would be a dramatic shift and signal that it thinks of itself as the east coast's conference, not just the other southeastern conference. Can't imagine Tobacco Road is very happy about hearing that, though.
link
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #5002
Radii
Head Coach

I would love to see the ACC tournament rotate between MSG and DC and Charlotte and Atlanta,and I guess St. Pete.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #5003
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I totally could see a rotation between NC and NYC for the tourny, i don't see any benefit to expanding it beyond that
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #5004
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Maybe I'm just odd but honestly (with the exception of the tournament to MSG possibility mentioned above, which would turn me against the whole mess) I find myself almost completely apathetic about the two additions.

It's pretty much two teams I don't give a shit about one way or the other ... but that's nothing new with the ACC since I've felt the same way about the previous BE additions to the conference. Heck, I imagine NC State & UNC felt that way about GT when they were added so I'm not exactly setting the Jackets up as being above anybody else or anything of that sort. It's just a really meh sort of thing to me as a fan. Basketball gets tougher, football remains mediocre, I don't think does much for any other sports one way or the other with the exception of women's basketball where I badly want GT to beats the hell out of Pitt every time they see them (fuck Berenato, GT got the better end of the deal when she bailed anyway).

It's not anything I'm excited about, it's not even a switch that I truly hate (like some of the non-geographic ones being discussed in other conferences), it's just ... meh.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #5005
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Let's see: MSG in NYC vs. a colosseum in...what?...Greensboro. But rotating between the northern tier (NYC) and the southern tier (Charlotte, Atlanta?) makes sense.

I'm too biased regarding WVU and Rutgers to want either of them to have a soft landing. It should have been SU (or even Pitt) that moved to the ACC several years ago instead of VT and BC. But even if SU has to be in the same conference as those two colleges, at least it can try to bring UConn to have another decent basketball school to play with. Does Rutgers even have a basketball team?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #5006
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
I totally could see a rotation between NC and NYC for the tourny, i don't see any benefit to expanding it beyond that

You know that Atlanta is already part of the rotation for the basketball tournament, right? Has been since 1983.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #5007
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

2001 - georgia dome
2005 - MCI Center in DC
2007 - St Pete Times Forum
2009 - Georgia Dome

this year it's in Phillips Arena in Atlanta.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #5008
britrock88
Pro Starter

I'm amused at all the comments to the effect that the Big Ten will be left behind by staying at 12 members.

The requirement to hold a conference championship football game is a minimum of 12 teams. There are no added benefits to going beyond 12 members as far as league competitiveness is concerned. Teams play each other less often, for one. Also, no matter the number of members in a conference, there we always be a similar distribution of teams at the front of the TV ratings / merchandising revenue pack and bringing up the rear within a conference.

Beyond that, look at the modern history of conferences with more than 12 members. The WAC and C-USA have both had their try, and their 14-16 team configurations broke up within about 5 years, as the princes tired of propping up the paupers and bolted -- creating the MWC, or joining the Big East en masse. And now that Pitt and Syracuse are jumping for the ACC, the Big East's massive all-sports configuration, which lasted the longest (reaching 14 teams in 1991), is possibly crumbling before us.

All in all, I think configurations of more than 12 teams have proved unsustainable. So in 5 to 15 years, when the SEC, ACC, and other conferences splinter, the Big Ten will (at this rate) still have its strong group of 12 members, and will likely emerge in a very profitable position.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #5009
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

My only request is we stop with the use B1G for the Big Ten... please. It really is the even worse than the division names and those are dumb.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #5010
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Indeed. And everything I've heard about WVU is that their fans are crazy for the team. Bowls love 'em, because the fans will travel and people will watch.

I wish I had something nice to say about WVU fans but after yesterday's game, I find them reprehensible. Dirty, rude, and generally just a-holes. I really hope that Maryland fans, when we travel, aren't as bad as the WVU fans were yesterday. And I'm not even talking about the stadium (where they were obnoxious but expectedly so), I'm talking about the tailgaters.

I was disappointed to see the news this morning about Pitt and 'Cuse joining the ACC. I know it doesn't make sense financially for the ACC to be small, but I loved the days when we played everybody in football and in basketball when we played every team twice. It made it feel like it was a bit more of an even/true playing field. Alas in this day and age, I get it that it just won't happen...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #5011
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

UConn and Texas, UConn and Texas, UConn and Texas. That's all the "sources" down in Charlotte can talk about.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #5012
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I wish I had something nice to say about WVU fans but after yesterday's game, I find them reprehensible. Dirty, rude, and generally just a-holes. I really hope that Maryland fans, when we travel, aren't as bad as the WVU fans were yesterday. And I'm not even talking about the stadium (where they were obnoxious but expectedly so), I'm talking about the tailgaters.
I want you to know that you're not the only one who shares this opinion - It's pretty universal.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #5013
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
I'm amused at all the comments to the effect that the Big Ten will be left behind by staying at 12 members.

The requirement to hold a conference championship football game is a minimum of 12 teams. There are no added benefits to going beyond 12 members as far as league competitiveness is concerned. Teams play each other less often, for one. Also, no matter the number of members in a conference, there we always be a similar distribution of teams at the front of the TV ratings / merchandising revenue pack and bringing up the rear within a conference.

Beyond that, look at the modern history of conferences with more than 12 members. The WAC and C-USA have both had their try, and their 14-16 team configurations broke up within about 5 years, as the princes tired of propping up the paupers and bolted -- creating the MWC, or joining the Big East en masse. And now that Pitt and Syracuse are jumping for the ACC, the Big East's massive all-sports configuration, which lasted the longest (reaching 14 teams in 1991), is possibly crumbling before us.

All in all, I think configurations of more than 12 teams have proved unsustainable. So in 5 to 15 years, when the SEC, ACC, and other conferences splinter, the Big Ten will (at this rate) still have its strong group of 12 members, and will likely emerge in a very profitable position.

Is three divisions go to 16 and the Big-10 stays at 12, they will be left behind
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #5014
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Doesn't Syracuse and Pittsbrugh moving to the ACC with zero speculation from the "insiders" beforehand while none of their other predictions ever coming true make anyone else roll their eyes?

(I enjoy this thread, I am talking more about the "experts" with inside knowledge)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #5015
MrBug708
Head Coach

FWIW from another Arizona insider on Texas

Barring a last minute change- Texas has decided to join the Pac 12. Here are the "concessions" that the Pac 12 made to make the Horns feel all warm and cozy:

* The league will work with UT and ESPN to find a graceful way to blend, dissolve or do whatever to the LHN. ESPN will likely get an expanded stream of games in its first tier rights and a guarantee of Texas in a certain amount of telecasts. Also, the league will help absorb some of LHN's startup costs as they fold it into the Pac 16 Network. So basically, the league allows UT to save face, ESPN gets probably more UT football than the LHN would have been able to provide and the Pac gets to re-up first tier rights fees with both ESPN and FOX while getting even more premium content for its own networks.

* Texas Tech will be member #16. It will lessen the political strife and give UT a true travel partner.

* Pods are highly probable guaranteeing a game in CA every year. Texas would prefer a game in So Cal every year, but realizes that this is probably the best they can do as the rest of the league won't put up without equal access to LA.

* A second league office in Dallas. Really a formality, but another thing to make the eastern schools feel good.

* A rotating FB championship game and Men's BB Tourney between LA and Dallas. We all know the home site FB championship game is temporary anyways and the Rose Bowl (until Farmers Field is built) and Jerry World will eventually take this game over. Same for the Pac Tourney as nobody has any desire to hold the tourney in places like Utah, Seattle or Oakland. Staples, American Airlines Arena, Vegas and even the Pepsi Center seem to be most on the radar as of now, and there is strong sentiment for an easy east west rotation.

* Hoops scheduling is undertimed. Could be either pods or divisions. Look for a strong push for Arizona-UCLA, UCLA-Texas, USC-OU and Arizona-Texas games to be showcased.

* The votes will be unanimous despite some "public posturing" by Colorado and Arizona. Utah has been told to keep their traps shut as they are easily replaced in any model.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #5016
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You know that Atlanta is already part of the rotation for the basketball tournament, right? Has been since 1983.

well, I don't really pay attention to the ACC (until now). Who'd pay attention to a 2nd rate bball league playing in some hillbilly towns for their tournaments?

I could see MSG replacing Atlanta, what is the draw of having the tourny in Atlanta outside of bigger gates?
Old 09-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #5017
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Doesn't Syracuse and Pittsbrugh moving to the ACC with zero speculation from the "insiders" beforehand while none of their other predictions ever coming true make anyone else roll their eyes?

(I enjoy this thread, I am talking more about the "experts" with inside knowledge)

It amuses me.

I also wouldn't mind a count of teams that have moved since the inception of this thread...while Missouri hasn't yet moved anywhere.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #5018
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

Yeah, esp. the lack of speculation regarding Missouri before they joined the Big10.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #5019
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I wouldn't say it was nescessarily not talked about (SU to ACC), at least around here but it was never something that was leaked.

I mean, SU isn't the attention whores Missouri seem to be
Old 09-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #5020
Swaggs
Coordinator

I wonder if, without Oklahoma and Texas, the Fiesta Bowl will become a sort of free agent BCS bowl or if they will house who- or whatever becomes the fifth BCS conference (whether the MWC, B12, BE or some combo of them).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #5021
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Utah has been told to keep their traps shut as they are easily replaced in any model.

Lol. As much as I like Utah over hated BYU (so happy that it was Utah in the Pac12 and not BYU), sometimes you got to know your place in the grand scheme of things. BUY's place is remain independent so no one can continue to care about them. :P
Old 09-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #5022
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like a story coming today on sportingnews.com concerning expansion of SEC and Big 10 in response to the ACC move. Matt Hayes is the writer. He said on Twitter...

Quote:
"the ACC pulled out a pop gun. The SEC and Big Ten are getting ready to pull out a howitzer."
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #5023
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Looks like a story coming today on sportingnews.com concerning expansion of SEC and Big 10 in response to the ACC move. Matt Hayes is the writer. He said on Twitter...

yawn
Old 09-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #5024
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
well, I don't really pay attention to the ACC (until now). Who'd pay attention to a 2nd rate bball league playing in some hillbilly towns for their tournaments?

I could see MSG replacing Atlanta, what is the draw of having the tourny in Atlanta outside of bigger gates?

I don't understand why we have to limit it to two locations? I love the idea of rotating between as many reasonable locations as possible within the conference's reach. In the last decade the tournament was held in 5 different venues (including greensboro and charlotte). Why not just add a 6th in NYC.

Note that I'm interested in competition and fun basketball not in min/maxxing $$$. If you wanted to do that you just hold it in Charlotte every year I'm sure, and they keep it in NC way too often now as it is.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #5025
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
yawn

I understand that those in Syracuse aren't all that interested, but for the rest of us in limbo-land, it's probably of interest.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #5026
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

Sporting News is the Sportsdigs of sports journalism - complete crap that isn't worth the resources used to produce it.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #5028
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

If the news of Texas/Tech/Oklahoma/OSU going to the Pac 12 is true, I don't see how there is enough ammo left for the SEC AND the Big Ten to make a big move. With Florida State and the rest of the ACC schools locked into $20-million buyouts, Notre Dame is the only big "free agent" left.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #5029
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

If there's anything these shuffles should've taught us over the past few years, it's never rule out anything.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #5030
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wish I had something nice to say about WVU fans but after yesterday's game ...

Then they'll be right at home in the SEC
Old 09-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #5031
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's a helluva lot closer to the core of the conference than NY, helluva lot cheaper for most fans to attend too.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #5032
DeToxRox
Head Coach

If UT goes to the Pac 1x, then the onus is on Delaney to make Notre Dame happen. I expect it will. Then it comes down to finding one more team. A conference that has Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame and Nebraska amongst others will never have to worry about anything.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #5033
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Seems highly unlikely that the Big East basketball schools are going to give up MSG. More likely that the ACC will add NYC to their rotation by going to the new Barclays Center in Brooklyn or Prudential Center in NJ. But I doubt the Big East will be the one moving given they're at MSG every year.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #5034
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Not quite as exciting as the preview tweet.....

ACC begins seismic shift, SEC and Big Ten will finish it - NCAA Football - Sporting News
Old 09-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #5035
timmynausea
College Starter

Here's a tweet from Colin Dunlap a former Pittsburgh Post Gazette writer that broke the Dana Holgorsen to WVU story and the Stewart as traitor stuff:

Quote:
Same university source who told me Dana was getting hired--& was spot-on re: everything--says WVU sent paperwork to SEC today. We'll see.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #5036
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I understand that those in Syracuse aren't all that interested, but for the rest of us in limbo-land, it's probably of interest.

limboland? You've moved to 3 conferences in the last, what, 9 months?
Old 09-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #5037
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Seems highly unlikely that the Big East basketball schools are going to give up MSG. More likely that the ACC will add NYC to their rotation by going to the new Barclays Center in Brooklyn or Prudential Center in NJ. But I doubt the Big East will be the one moving given they're at MSG every year.

I'm pretty sure it's up to MSG and not the BE, especially if the BE doesn't exist
Old 09-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #5038
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Let's see: MSG in NYC vs. a colosseum in...what?...Greensboro. But rotating between the northern tier (NYC) and the southern tier (Charlotte, Atlanta?) makes sense.

I'm too biased regarding WVU and Rutgers to want either of them to have a soft landing. It should have been SU (or even Pitt) that moved to the ACC several years ago instead of VT and BC. But even if SU has to be in the same conference as those two colleges, at least it can try to bring UConn to have another decent basketball school to play with. Does Rutgers even have a basketball team?

Can you just die or something old man. I'm sick of you, sick of your school and sick of your school's fans that killed bowl tie-ins for the Big East for the last 15 years
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #5039
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post

Big East's deal with MSG is unti 2016.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #5040
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Big East's deal with MSG is unti 2016.

Big 12 has a deal in KC for three more tournaments.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #5041
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Big 12 has a deal in KC for three more tournaments.

Yes, but the basketball onlies will keep the Big East name for their Atlantic Ten clone.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:51 PM   #5042
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Yes, but the basketball onlies will keep the Big East name for their Atlantic Ten clone.

Without the big names, do they care to keep hosting it there? Probably so. I guess they still have enough teams nearby that location to make it work. I guess it's a bit different than the B12 in that they move to a mid-major b-ball conference rather than fully dissolving like the B12.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-18-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #5043
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Greensboro Coliseum has more seating capacity than both the Bobcats arena in Charlotte and MSG, fwiw.

Quote:
It should have been SU (or even Pitt) that moved to the ACC several years ago instead of VT and BC.

Dear god a thousand times yes.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #5044
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Greensboro Coliseum has more seating capacity than both the Bobcats arena in Charlotte and MSG, fwiw.

Didn't know that but what are the ticket prices in Greenboro compared to MSG?
Old 09-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #5045
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Didn't know that but what are the ticket prices in Greenboro compared to MSG?

Don't they have to give tickets away when Duke/UNC aren't playing?
Old 09-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #5046
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
I loved the days when we played everybody in football and in basketball when we played every team twice. It made it feel like it was a bit more of an even/true playing field. Alas in this day and age, I get it that it just won't happen...

Too true.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #5047
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post

Which MSG will want no part of
Old 09-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #5048
duckman
Pro Starter

Statesman is reporting that a deal is close to add Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech:

Texas Longhorns: Football, Basketball, Baseball and more | Statesman.com
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”

Last edited by duckman : 09-18-2011 at 03:05 PM.
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #5049
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:

They only sell tournament packages for all 11 (13) games.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #5050
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

If only we could trade Miami and Boston College back to the Big East for Syracuse/Pitt instead of keeping them all then perhaps this would change.