Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Make the Nets Bigger (FM2014)

The title of this dynasty is inspired by this scene from the TV show Sports Night.

The idea is to play an agressive, attacking style that even Dan Rydell would find exciting.

Team: Vauxhall Motors F.C.

League:
Skrill North

History:
Vauxhall are a founding member of the Conference North and have hung around the bottom of the league for most of their time, twice avoiding relegation due to other teams folding or resigning. (Vauxhall actually just resigned from the Conf North at the end of the 2014 season, but obviously I will be preventing that from happening.) They are predicted to finish 20th, but have a decent financial situation.

Tactic: I will be running a 4-3-3. Up front we have two Advanced Forwards and a False 9. In the midfield, we will have a Box to Box Midfielder, an Advanced Playmaker, and a Ball Winning Midfielder. The back line will be two Central Defenders and two Deep Wingbacks. I will miss my wingers flying down the side, but this will allow me to limit the number of positions I have to fill.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
larrymcg421
Head Coach

First thing I do is fire my horrible staff (a Phsyio with a 5 in Physiotherapy, a Scout with 4 in Judging Current Ability). The only people I keep are the Head of Youth Development and Player/Coach Gary Martindale, who is coaching for free. I'm happy with all the new signings, especially Assistant Coach Alan McLeary.

Now here's a rundown of my current roster:

Strikers

Shaun Tuck - Pace (14) is very good for this level and he is also strong in Finishing (10), Work Rate (16), Creativity (11), Acceleration (11), and Agility (10). I hate his Stamina (7), but he's too good not to start.

Lloyd Ellams - He doesn't have any standout stats, but is pretty decent all-around and will be used in the False 9 role.

Aaron Rey - Another fast striker with Acceleration (14) and Pace (13), but low Stamina (8). He's not very good anywhere else, but that speed will get him some playing time.

Matty Kosylo (20) - A young guy that hasn't developed any technical skills. His Acceleration (12) and Pace (12) doesn't mean much when he's 6 or lower in almost everything else.

Jordan Rugg - Oooof. A 5 in stamina? Will have to train that up immediately. Other than that, he has a few decent stats - Finishing (12), Composure (12), and Dribbling (11).

Gary Martindale - 42 years old player coach. Not the worst striker on the team and that's sad.

Midfielders

Tom Rutter - I'm low on midfielder spots, so I'll have to be happy with his Work Rate (18), Teamwork (16), and Passing (10), while hoping that his Stamina (8) and Decisions (6) don't kill us.

Danny Fearnehough - A good athlete with most physical stats above 11, Leadership (12), Teamwork (10), Work Rate (13), and Leadership (12). I'm going to pretend I don't see Decisions (4) and Passing (6).

Matthew Williams - Yikes. This is the only guy who can play the BWM role and he has a 2 in Marking and Tackling. He's another decent physical guy with terrible technical skills, which seems to be the running theme here.

Defenders

Andy Nicholas - A very tall guy who will be very valuable on corners, but I don't like his Marking (7) or Tackling (7). Hopefully his Anticipation (10) and Determination (10) will make up for that.

Tom Hannigan - Another guy with decent size to help against corners, but also 7's in Marking and Tackling. His Anticipation (11), Positioning (11), Bravery (10), and Concentration (12) are pretty nice to have.

David Kocsis - His Tackling (12) will make him a decent backup to have around, that is if he can find the field with his Positioning (5).

Wingbacks

Louis Barnes - Another guy who will be winded by the end of the game - Stamina (7). He's a better support player than a defender. I could play Nicholas here, but I'll need another CD if I do that.

Stephen Wainwright - Stamina (6) for a Wingback!? You suck. He's fast, but nothing else.

Chris Noone - He's really meant to be a winger since he can't defend for crap. Could be useful in situations where I need to go all out for a goal.

Keepers

Zak Jones - He's not a bad keeper - Reflexes (12), Aerial (11), Command (11), Handling (10), but is out of contract and wants $450/week. He's not worth that, so I'll find someone else.

So yeah, this is a pretty big shit sandwich and I only have $323/week in spare payroll.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:11 AM   #3
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Here are my three signings so far. Not sure if I'll be able to afford any more, but I really need another defender/wing back.

MC Michael Brough ($170/wk) - A good all-around midfielder who can play any of the three midfield spots.

MC Craig Bentham ($250/wk) - Slightly better than Brough in most categories, but a little older and slower. Both of them have better stamina than the other midfielders.

GK Ben Woodhead ($65/app) - Not as good as Jones in some key categories like Reflexes, Command of Area, and Aerial Ability, but he is much cheaper and good enough to be a starter. Also doesn't have that scary (3) in Decisions.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Preseason did not go very well.

Hibernian 2:2
Wolves Under 21s 0:3
Ashton Utd 2:0
Tranmere 0:4
FC United 0:0
Holywell 1:1

I'm more concerned with our lack of goalscoring than our overall record in the preseason. We played 4 lower division teams and only scored 5 goals in those matches. Hopefully, we will get better as players get more familiar with the tactic.

The bad news is Wingback Louis Barnes will be out for 3 months. This leaves me without a backup at the left side.

As the regular season approaches, I added a few more players...

CD/WB Sam Hibbert ($300 p/w) - A really strong defender with Marking (11), Tackling (11), and Positioning (10), but can also provide some offense at the WB spot. He is very short (5'7") and if I ever play him at CD it will be necessary to pair him with a tall guy.

CD Sam Jones (Loan) - A young guy who is mostly average, but I'm loaning him for free and he'll be a useful backup.

WB Joe Newton (Loan) - Mostly to have a warm body as a backup to Nicholas on the left side.

We are given 40-1 odds for promotion and are expected to be relegated. Altrincham are promotion favorites at 8-1.

Starting lineup as we begin the season:

AF Rugg, F9 Rutter, AF Ellams
BBM Brough, AP Fearnehough
BWM Bentham
WB Nicholas, CD Jones, CD Hannigan, WB Hibbert
GK Woodhead

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-04-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
larrymcg421
Head Coach

MC Michael Brough ($170/wk) - A good all-around midfielder who can play any of the three midfield spots.

MC Craig Bentham ($250/wk) - Slightly better than Brough in most categories, but a little older and slower. Both of them have better stamina than the other midfielders.

GK Ben Woodhead ($65/app)
- Not as good as Jones in some key categories like Reflexes, Command of Area, and Aerial Ability, but he is much cheaper and good enough to be a starter. Also doesn't have that scary (3) in Decisions.

August 17

Skrill North: Vauxhall vs. Gainsborough

They carve up our defense right away with a goal at the 10th minute. In the 20th minute, Woodhead fails to catch a pretty soft cross into the box and they are able to put it through. Another cross catches our defense sleeping right after halftime. The one positive of this match is after their third goal, we took the ball and pulled one back within a minute.

Final: Gainsborough 3, Vauxhall 1
Goals: Rugg
Assists: Rutter
Top Three: Fearnehough 7.1, Rutter 7.0, Rugg 6.7
Worst: Nicholas 5.6
Possession: 48-52
Shots: 10-6
On Target: 1-5

August 20

Skrill North: Vauxhall at Harrogate

More of the same. We go down 2-0 early (one of those an ugly own goal by Fearnehough). Right after halftime, Hannigan commits a brutal foul and is sent off. We actually start to threaten, but miss a couple of good looks. They connect on a corner and we're down 3-0. However, Rutter makes a great move in the middle and scores in the 71st minute. 10 minutes later, the Harrogate keeper mishandles a corner and Kocsis is there to knock it in. We threaten a few more times but cannot come up with the miracle draw.

Final: Harrogate 3, Vauxhall 2
Goals: Kocsis, Rutter
Assists: Rugg
Top Three: Kocsis 7.2, Rutter 7.2, Williams 6.9
Worst: Wainwright 5.5
Possession: 49-51
Shots: 8-11
On Target: 3-3

August 24

Skrill North: Vauxhall at Workington

We fall down 2-0 yet again, but score before halftime for the first time all year on a powerful strike from Rugg. We manage to equalize in the 70th minute when Fearnehough gets a deflection and puts it through. Unfortunately, Woodhead makes a critical positioning error and basically watches as the winning goal goes by him. We also lost Jones for 5-6 weeks and have an exhausted team that only gets one day off before the next match.

Final: Workington 3, Vauxhall 2
Goals: Fearnehough, Rugg
Assists: Ellams, Rugg
Top Three: Rugg 7.8, Fearnehough 7.3, Nicholas 6.8
Worst: Hibbert 5.9
Shots: 9-11
On Target: 4-7

August 26

Skrill North: Vauxhall vs. Altrincham

This was another rough one. We have a bunch of exhausted guys starting and two others who are playing out of position, while Altrincham are promotion favorites. Still we somehow manage to keep it 0-0 at the half and look pretty good doing it. Fearnehough picks up a slight injury and I can't risk it, so I send him out. Then the barrage comes. Two penalties on throw-ins give them a 2-0 lead and they score a third on a counter. I tried Jones at keeper in this match because Woodhead's mistakes were irritating. Fans are getting understandably upset and want to know why I won't switch to a new tactic.

Final: Altrincham 3, Vauxhall 0
Goals:
Assists:
Top Three: Wainwright 6.7, Hannigan 6.6, Kocsis 6.6
Worst: Newton 4.5
Possession: 43-57
Shots: 7-12
On Target: 1-8

August 31

Skrill North: Vauxhall vs. Solihull Moors

Solihull pretty much has their way in the midfield, but my defenders play extremely well and prevent anything dangerous from getting near the keeper. It's a pretty boring match until Hannigan heads in a corner in the 67th minute for our first lead of the season. Rutter adds to the lead with a terrific power shot off a misplayed rebound. No matter what Solihull tries, they never threaten. This was a much needed win. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come and not an aberration.

Final: Vauxhall 2, Solihull Moors 0
Goals: Hannigan, Rutter
Assists:
Top Three: Hannigan 7.9, Rutter 7.6, Nicholas 7.5
Worst: Ellams 6.4
Possession: 41-59
Shots: 12-12
On Target: 6-0

This win moves us up to 18th and out of the relegation spots, though it is obviously very early.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-04-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #6
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Tom Rutter:

Old 05-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
larrymcg421
Head Coach

September 7

Skrill South: Vauxhall (1-0-4, 18th) vs. Boston Utd (2-1-2, 11th)

Well this was a wild one! Boston Utd score early on and I'm frustrated at being behind once again. But then we start to carve up their defense. Rugg and Rutter are unstoppable, making great moves in the middle and using great teamwork to score. Rutter gets the equalizer, then Rugg scores two terrific goals to give us a 3-1 halftime lead. Boston Utd pulls one back early in the 2nd, but no worries as we continue to threaten. However, poor finishing prevents the lead from increasing and then Boston takes advantage of defensive lapses to score two goals in 3 minutes and take a 4-3 lead. So frustrating! Thankfully, Rutter comes through by heading home a cross in the 87th minute. We blew the one, but at least we salvaged the draw.

Final: Vauxhall 4, Boston Utd 4
Goals: Rugg 2, Rutter 2
Assists: Fearnehough 2, Rugg, Nicholas
Top Three: Fearnehough 8.9, Rutter 8.8, Rugg 8.8
Worst: Hibbert 6.2
Possession: 50-50
Shots: 14-8
On Target: 5-5

September 14

Skrill North: Vauxhall (1-1-4, 18th) at Hednesford (3-2-1, 7th)

Two minutes in and Hednesford score because Hibbert is useless at closing down wingers, once again putting us in the hole. But it was short lived because Hednesford foul Rutter, the penalty is given, and Brough (back from injury) puts it through. Then we take the lead on a beautiful play where Fearnehough beats his man to the ball with a slide that knocks the ball to Rutter who puts it away. In the 2nd half, Ellams gets a great pass from Rutter and puts away the one on one. Then Rutter scores on a free kick and it's 4-1. In typical Vauxhall fashion, we allow them to pull back two goals, but are bale to close up shop for the final three minutes for a great road win!

Final: Vauxhall 4, Hednesford 3
Goals: Rutter 2, Brough, Ellams
Assists: Rutter 2, Rugg (Fearnehough should've been awarded one as well)
Top Three: Rutter 9.1, Ellams 7.2, Fearnehough 7.0
Worst: Hibbert 5.9
Possession: 44-56
Shots: 13-13
On Target 7-7

September 21

Skrill North: Vauxhall (2-1-4, 16th) vs. Stockport (4-1-2, 3rd)

Stockport score at the 12 minute mark and we're behind again! However, Rutter and Rugg do their magic and Rugg scores deep into extra time at the half. Sadly, Rugg got a slight injury on the play and I pull him because I don't want to risk making it serious. In comes Matty Kosylo, who spends the rest of the game missing several great chances with terrible shots. Our defense holds for the draw, but without Rugg's injury I'm sure we would've won this one.

Final: Vauxhall 1, Stockport 1
Goal: Rugg
Assist: Rutter
Top Three: Rugg 7.1, Rutter 7.1, Kocsis 6.9
Worst: Kosylo 5.7
Possession: 47-53
Shots: 16-7
On Target: 3-5

*And Rugg is going to be out 5-6 weeks. Shaun Tuck is ineligible to play until October 10th (not sure why?), so we have some issues at the forward spot. Rutter can't do it all by himself.

September 24

Skrill North: Vauxhall (2-2-4, 17th) vs. Oxford City (3-1-4, 17th)

We actually take a lead in this one! Rutter puts a beautiful through ball into Ellams who puts it away for the 1-0 lead. We miss a couple easy chances and pay for it when Oxford City scores on a cross into the box in the 52nd minute. We keep attacking and Fearnehough puts a great pass into Ellams who scores his 2nd of the game. In the 81st minute Ellams returns the favor to Rutter, whose 8th goal of the season seals the deal for us.

Final: Vauxhall 3, Oxford City 1
Goals: Ellams 2, Rutter
Assists: Rutter, Fearnehough, Ellams
Top Three: Ellams 9.2, Fearnehough 8.2, Rutter 8.0
Worst: Newton 6.2
Possession: 45-55
Shots: 13-5
On Target: 4-1

*Joe Newton went down with injury. He wasn't very good (that 4.5 from earlier still stings) and this will be no problem once Joe Jones comes back, allowing Nicholas to stick to the wingback spot.

September 28

English FA Cup - Second Qualifying Round: Vauxhall at Cambridge C

Cambridge C are a lower division club and I have plenty of time until next match, so no need to rest anybody, although I do give 16 yr old Josh Mogg a shot to play forward. We go up 3-0 in the first half. Brough scores on what looked like a pass into the box that no one saw, including their keeper, so it just rolled to the goal. Mogg also gets the first goal of his career. I take out Rutter and Fearnehough to avoid injury. Then they actually pull back two in the 2nd half. One of them was a great strike at the near post and another the defense just fell asleep. We hold on, but should've won by much more.

Final: Vauxhall 3, Cambridge City FC 2
Goals: Brough, Mogg, Ellams
Assists: Rutter 2, Mogg
Top Three: Mogg 7.8, Rutter 7.5, Brough 7.3
Worst: Rey 6.2
Shots: 9-9
On Target: 6-4

*A very good month for Vauxhall. After starting the season with 4 straight losses, we have 3 wins and 2 draws in our last 5 matches. We now sit in 14th, 4 pts out of relegation but also 4 pts out of the playoffs.

*Rutter came in 2nd in player of the month voting.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-05-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
larrymcg421
Head Coach

October 5

Skrill North: Vauxhall (3-2-4, 14th) at Brackley (4-3-2, 6th)

This was an ugly one. They have a really fast right winger Izak Reid, who we have no hopes of covering. He owns us early in the match by running right by the wingback and sending an uncontested cross into the box that is put through. I set up opp instructions to tackle hard, close down, and mark. I also put in a faster wingback. He still gets by and sends in another cross that puts them up 2-0. We pull one back in the 85th minute when we hassle Reid into a turnover andwe start a break that Mogg eventually converts. We can't do anything else and end our unbeaten streak. Rutter had a terrible day.

Final: Brackley 2, Vauxhall 1
Goals: Mogg
Assist: Fearnenough
Top Three: Mogg 7.2, Fearnehough 6.8, Kocsis 6.8
Worst: Rutter 5.9
Shots: 10-13
On Target: 4-8

October 8

Skrill North: Vauxhall (3-2-5, 17th) vs. North Ferriby (3-2-5, 16th)

Well, this match sucked hard. We played like crap, especially the defense. Woodhead misses two fairly routine saves and the defense fails to mark anyone. We are down 4-0 in the first half. Nothing happens in the 2nd half. What a grotesque performance.

Final: North Ferriby 4, Vauxhall 0
Goals:
Assists:
Top Three: Bentham 6.7, Fearnehough 6.6, Ellams 6.5
Worst: Nicholas 5.3
Shots: 8-9
On Target: 2-5

October 12

FA Cup - Third Qualifying Round: Vauxhall at Harrogate

We only have two days off after this, so I put Rutter on the bench to rest. Fearnehough is out with an injury. 40 minutes in and Brough is out with an injury. Ugh. Very slow game. Not many chances created. It isn't until the 85th minute when 16 year old Josh Mogg gets a pass from Ellams, dribbles by the defense and beats the keeper. Good victory and Brough won't miss any time.

Final: Vauxhall 1, Harrogate 0
Goal: Mogg
Assist: Ellams
Top Three: Ellams 7.8, Nicholas 7.4, Mogg 7.2
Worst: Hibbert 6.4
Shots: 9-10
On Target: 3-3

October 15

Vauxhall (3-2-6, 18th) at Stalybridge (4-2-4, 13th)

Fearnehough and Brough are still recovering, so we've got Rutter and Hannigan in the midfield. Tuck is back and gets his first start. We go down 1-0 on yet another undefended cross into the box. But we equalize when Rutter gets a great pass to Tuck, who beats the defense and buries the shot. We get a couple of good chances in the 2nd half, but can't convert and have to settle for a draw.

Final: Vauxhall 1, Stalybridge 1

Goal: Tuck
Assist: Rutter
Top Three: Tuck 7.1, Rutter 6.8, Woodhead 6.7
Worst: Mogg 6.2
Possession: 51-49
Shots: 7-9
On Target: 4-4

October 19

Vauxhall (3-3-6, 18th) vs. Barrow (3-4-4, 16th)

Well this one is ugly. After we trade penalties for a 1-1 score, Barrow score three more goals before halftime. A combination of more defensive stupidity and poor play by Woodhead. We pull one back, but they add a 5th before we can pull another back.

Final: Barrow 5, Vauxhall 3
Goals: Brough, Mogg, Fearnehough
Assists: Rutter 2
Top Three: Fearnehough 7.6, Rutter 7.4, Mogg 7.1
Worst: Nicholas 5.0
Shots: 12-14
On Target: 6-10

October 26

English FA Cup - Fourth Qualifying Round - Vauxhall vs. Tamworth

Tamworth are an uppder division club and we have a league game in 3 days, so I rest many starters including Rutter, Fearnehough, and Hibbert. We actually go up 1-0 early on a beautiful cross from Mogg that goes just over the keeper's head and is headed in by Rey. We try to hold on in the second half, but they score on a free kick that really looked like Woodhead should've been able to handle.

Final: Vauxhall 1, Tamworth 1
Goal: Rey
Assist: Mogg
Top Three: Rey 7.1, Mogg 6.8, Hannigan 6.6
Worst: Noone 5.6
Shots: 10-3
On Target 5-1

October 30

English FA Cup - Fourth Qualifying Round - Vauxhall at Tamworth

Starting lineup is in for this return match. Jordan Rugg is finally back. They score on an early corner, but then we return the favor when Nicholas gets hold of a loose ball in the box and scores the weakest goal I've ever seen (the ball crawled into the net). Unfortunately, we can't keep up with their superior skill as they add two second half goals to put it away. Rutter got hurt in the second half, which is about the worst thing that could happen to us, but he's only out for a week.

Final: Tamworth 3, Vauxhall 1
Goal: Nicholas
Assist:
Top Three: Nicholas 7.2, Fearnehough 6.9, Rugg 6.6
Worst: Hibbert 5.8
Shots: 5-18
On Target: 1-9

A really bad month for Vauxhall football. We are now back in relegation zone. I would hit the transfer market, but we have no money. Will have to look at unloading some of these contracts (especially Hibbert).

Old 05-06-2014, 03:07 AM   #9
larrymcg421
Head Coach

November 2

Vauxhall (3-3-7, 20th) vs. Learnington (3-5-5, 16th)

Could it get any worse for us? Jones knocks the ball into his own goal and we're in the familiar spot of bring down 1-0. However, just before half, Mogg makes a great move by dribbling around the keeper and firing a shot behind him to even it up. The second half was a snoozer until the 82nd minute when I put Rugg in, hoping his speed could spark a late goal. What actually happened was a horrible goal kick from Learnington's keeper, which just hung up in there, allowing Ellams to intercept and send to Rugg who fired a long range shot that goes in. This is followed a few minutes later by another Rugg goal to seal the deal. A much needed victory for morale!

Final: Vauxhall 3, Learnington 1
Goals: Mogg 2, Rugg 1
Assists: Ellams 2, Fearnehough
Top Three: Rugg 8.5, Ellams 8.3, Mogg 7.2
Worst: Jones 6.4
Shots: 10-4

MC Jamie Vermiglio (Great Leadership, Determination, Teamwork) and WB Phil Roe (Has good speed and decent mixture of offense and defense) join the team on cheap loan deals.

November 5

Vauxhall (4-3-7, 18th) at AFC Telford (3-1-9, 22nd)

Vermiglio and Roe get their chance to start right away. Bentham commits a foul in the box and Telford are awarded a penalty. This is the third time this has happened this season and Bentham has earned a spot on the bench. Thankfully, we come out attacking at the half and Mogg gets a great pass forward to Rugg, who puts it away. We have a great chance int he 89th minute to pull off the win, but Rey sends in a ridiculously weak shot. Guess I shouldn't be too mad at a draw on the road, esp with Rutter out, but this is a team we should be beating.

Final: Vauxhall 1, AFC Telford 1
Assist: Mogg
Top Three: Rugg 7.1, Fearnehough 6.9, Mogg 6.7
Worst: Bentham 6.1
Shots: 8-5
On Target: 4-2

WB Mark Ross (Great Positioning, Teamwork, and Concentration) arrives on loan to hopefully take over Hibbert's spot. We had a deal with a really good striker fall through.

November 9

Vauxhall (4-4-7, 17th) at Histon (10-1-3, 1st)

Histon started off 9-0, but have dropped 3 of 5 matches. We play them pretty well, but yet again go down due to a corner. Both of our wingbacks that I loaned go down with injuries. They add another one before half. We convert a penalty right after the half, but can do no more.

Final: Histon 2, Vauxhall 1
Goal: Brough
Assist:
Top Three: Williams 6.8, Woodhead 6.8, Brough 6.6
Worst: Hannigan 5.8
Possession: 43-57
Shots: 5-6
On Target: 2-3

November 16

FA Trophy - Third Qualifying Round: Vauxhall at AFC Fylde

A lower division club. We have a week off, so all the starters get a shot, including the returning Rutter. We don't really dominate them like we should've. Ellams puts in a couple of goals, including one where the keeper wasn't paying attention. But we need to get better shots if we want to win some more league games.

Final: Vauxhall 2, AFC Fylde 0
Goals: Ellams 2
Assists: Nicholas, Mogg
Top Three: Ellams 8.8, Nicholas 8.4, Hibbert 7.7
Possession: 54-46
Shots: 16-8

November 23

Vauxhall (4-4-8, 18th) vs. Gloucester (5-6-5, 20th)

We fail to mark the striker coming down the middle and they score. Thankfully, we hit back on a counter right before the half as Rugg puts in the equalizer. The second half is boring. We have clearly gotten better defensively, but our offense has disappeared. Rutter has especially fallen off. After 8 goals in his first 7 games, he has none in his last 7. I'm considering moving him back to midfield to take Brough's spot.

Final: Vauxhall 1, Gloucester 1
Assist: Fearnehough
Top Three: Fearnehough 7.6, Rugg 7.1, Woodhead 6.7
Worst: Brough 6.2
Shots: 11-10
On Target: 3-5

November 30

FA Trophy: Vauxhall vs. Cambridge

Cambridge are a Skrill premier team, so this will be a difficult test. I attempt a new tactic here, a 3-4-3. It's a bit awkward because I didn't upgrade the winger spots, but I have a few players (Barnes, Clair, Noone) that have been sitting ont he bench and will be happy to play the wing spots. It was a very exciting match, with counter attack after counter attack. The team employed it well and I was happy not to have to worry about my awful wingbacks. Cambridge scored a late goal in the 85th minute to win 3-2, but I will be trying this tactic again.

Final: Cambridge 3, Vauxhall 2
Goals: Mogg, Barnes
Assists: Rutter, Rugg
Top Three: Barnes 7.3, Rugg 7.3, Mogg 7.2
Worst: Jones 6.1
Shots: 17-13
On Target: 6-6

Not a terrible month for Vauxhall. We went 1-2-1, but still sit in 20th place. Thankfully, the board is very patient and still satisfied with my coaching.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-06-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #10
larrymcg421
Head Coach

December 2

Vauxhall (4-5-8, 20th) at Oxford City (6-3-7, 15th)

Trying the 3-4-3 again. Interestingly, it's working out much better defensively so far. The extra DC is helping clear all those crosses into the box. It's actually 0-0 at the half, but we catch them off guard when Ellams and Mogg take the 2nd half kickoff and cut right through the defense for a Mogg goal. Ellams adds a goal of his own by making a great midfield interception and then flipping the ball over the keeper. They pull one back right away, but we hold firm to the end and Rutter finally ends his goal drought with a 92nd minute strike.

Final: Vauxhall 3, Oxford City 1
Goals: Mogg, Ellams, Rutter
Assists: Ellams 2, Fearnehough
Top Three: Ellams 9.1, Rutter 7.4, Nicholas 7.4
Worst: Hannigan 5.9
Shots: 11-9
On Target: 6-5

December 14

Vauxhall (5-5-8, 19th) at Gainsborough (10-4-4, 3rd)

The new tactic continues to work well. A long pass from Hannigan catches their defense off guard and Rugg converts the one on one opportunity. Rutter adds another goal in the 25th minute. Then it is frustration time as I watch my guys hit the post 4 times and miss other easy chances. Then they pull one back on a corner that bounces around the box too long. Despite his earlier great pass, Hannigan almost costs us the win with a terrible cross field pass in the 85th minute that is intercepted, but Woodhead makes a great one on one save. We hold on for a great victory! I wish we could've put more in, but I'll definitely take the 3 pts on the road against the #3 team.

Final: Vauxhall 2, Gainsborough 1
Goals: Rugg, Rutter
Assists: Hannigan, Mogg
Top Three: Mogg 7.5, Rugg 7.4, Rutter 7.4
Shots: 16-10
On Target: 6-3

December 17

Vauxhall (6-5-8, 15th) vs. Bradford PA (7-4-7, 11th)

Nicholas sends a beautiful pass over the defense that Ellams controls. Ellams dribbles around a defender and beats the keeper on the far post! 8 minutes later, Ellams makes another great play by dribbling to the right side of the box and burying a shot in the top corner. Ellams finishes off his hat trick when Mogg sends him a through ball and he easily beats the keeper. We thoroughly dominated this match and it could've been an even more lopsided score.

Final: Vauxhall 3, Bradford PA 0

Goals: Ellams 3
Assists: Mogg, Nicholas, Bentham
Top Three: Ellams 9.6, Mogg 7.8, Nicholas 7.5
Worst: Rugg 6.6
Possession: 52-48
Shots: 15-6
On Target: 7-1

A team is interested in Hannigan. I let him go for free (I do get a 25% next sale) to clear up payroll space. I use the space to sign Winger Neil Cartwight (Crossing 12, Work Rate 11, Determination 12, Teamwork 10).

December 26

Vauxhall (7-5-8, 11th) at Colwyn Bay (6-6-8, 18th)

12 minutes in we send in a cross, the ball rattles around the box before Nicholas is able to put it through. 14 minutes later, Louis Barnes runs down the left wing completely unmarked, gets the pass and beats the keeper easily. After halftime, we get sloppy and allow Colwyn Bay to even it up on two corners that we don't properly defend. However, in the 92nd minute, Ellams sends a through ball to Rutter who scores the miracle goal! What a win!

Final: Vauxhall 3, Colwyn Bay 2
Goals: Nicholas, Barnes, Rutter
Assists: Rutter, Fearnehough, Ellams
Top Three: Rutter 8.2, Barnes 7.3, Nicholas 7.3
Worst: Hibbert 6.1
Possession: 60-40
Shots: 21-7
On Target: 6-5

December 28

Vauxhall (8-5-8, 8th) vs. Harrogate (14-2-5, 2nd)

Harrogate scores only 6 minutes when they put through the rebound off a free kick. We equalize in the 18th on a penalty that Brough converts. We go ahead on a corner that bounces off a Harrogate defender. They keep threatening, but Woodhead makes some great saves. Backup winger Noone misses two clear cut chances. Thankfully this didn't hurt us as the defense closes up shop and we take our 5th win in a row!

Final: Vauxhall 2, Harrogate 1

Goals: Brough
Assists: Brough, Fearnehough
Top Three: Brough 7.3, Nicholas 7.2, Fearnehough 6.8
Worst: Noone 6.2
Possession: 46-54
Shots: 11-5
On Target: 5-3

*Well, that was a terrific month of Vauxhall football! The 3-4-3 has been a tremendous success! We are now in 9th place, only 4 pts out of 5th.

*I win Skrill North Head Coach of the Month.

*The board is so delighted with our recent run that they give me a contract extension and a small payroll increase. I pick up Tom Denton for some depth at Forward (and he might even be able to start). I renew the loan with Phil Roe, since now he can play Left Wing instead of Wingback.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-06-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:24 AM   #11
mrtourette
High School JV

That's a damn impressive month, nice to see it rewarded by the board.
mrtourette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #12
larrymcg421
Head Coach

January 4

Vauxhall (9-5-8, 9th) at Boston Utd (9-8-7, 7th)

We get things started with a great counter that leads to Rutter with a wide open opportunity that he converts. Then we begin to struggle. Poor marking allows opposition strikers to roam free in the box and they score two before half. Poor passing is really dooming us in this one. Thankfully, Mogg saves the day when he buries a shot after being set up by Fearnehough. Our winning streak ends, but our unbeaten streak is still alive.

Final: Vauxhall 2, Boston Utd 2

Goals: Rutter, Mogg
Assists: Fearnehough, Ellams
Top Three: Rutter 7.4, Ellams 7.3, Mogg 7.1
Worst: Brough 6.1
Shots: 8-7

January 7

Vauxhall (9-6-8, 11th) vs. Colwyn Bay (7-6-10, 15th)

We dominate from the beginning. Rutter beats the Colwyn Bay defense in the first 2 minutes to put us ahead. Just 6 minutes later, we take a 2-0 lead when Rutter puts a through ball to Denton, who hammers it home. Rutter assists one more time when he gets the ball to Roe, who is unmarked on the left wing and puts it by the keeper. We have several more chances and this could've been much, much worse for Colwyn Bay

Final: Vauxhall 3, Colwyn Bay 0

Goals: Rutter, Denton, Roe
Assists: Rutter 2, Denton
Top Three: Rutter 9.2, Denton 8.8, Roe 7.8
Worst: Fearnehough 6.4
Possession: 59-41
Shots: 19-6
On Target: 8-0

January 10

Vauxhall (10-6-8, 8th) vs. Hednesford (8-5-10, 15th)

We only have a day off after this one, so several starters take a rest, including Rutter and Fearnehough. The result is a match that Dan Rydell would not enjoy. We take an early lead when a cross gets deflected and Brough picks up the rebound and puts it through. We thoroughly control the rest of the match, but cannot get any strong scoring threats going. But we get 3 pts with backups and that's awesome.

Final: Vauxhall 1, Hednesford 0

Assists: Cartwright
Top Three: Brough 7.5, Jones 7.0, Woodhead 6.9
Worst: Rugg 6.3
On Target: 2-1

January 12

Vauxhall (11-6-8, 7th) at Stockport (10-9-5, 6th)

3 matches in 6 days is taking a toll, so we have to resort to some creative positioning to field a defense (Vermiglio playing DC). We struggle to handle Stockport's Liam Dickinson. After Fearnehough catches the keeper off guard with a shot that goes around a defender, Dickinson runs right through our defense twice to take a 2-1 halftime lead. Fearnehough gets it to Denton on a beautiful counter and we equalize. Then they score off a free kick when their other striker somehow gets the ball by himself in the box. However, we immediately take the next kickoff and score thanks to a great through ball from Mogg to Denton. A road draw when we were gassed is definitely a good thing.

Final: Vauxhall 3, Stockport 3

Goals: Denton 2, Fearnehough
Assists: Mogg 2, Fearnehough
Top Three: Denton 8.8, Fearnehough 8.3, Mogg 8.1
Worst: Woodhead 6.3
Shots: 15-15
On Target: 7-5

January 18

Vauxhall (11-7-8, 6th) vs. Brackley (13-4-8, 4th)

Rutter makes a great play by dribbling down the right side of the box, holding it up as the defense flies by, then flings a pass to Denton who puts it away. Rutter extends the lead with a goal of his own, although it looks like it was meant to be a pass that just rolled in. They pull one back after halftime on a free kick to the box. This is currently our bigggest weak spot. We miss several 2nd half chances, but hold on for the victory.

Final: Vauxhall 2, Brackley 1

Goals: Rutter, Denton
Top Three: Rutter 8.3, Denton 7.7, Fearnehough 7.0
Worst: Jones
Possession: 56-44
Shots: 17-9
On Target: 8-4

January 25

Vauxhall (12-7-8, 5th) vs. Worcester (4-8-14, 22nd)

We open scoring again when a cross is headed from Ellams to Denton into the goal. We miss a couple chances and enter the half only up 1-0. It gets a little scary after the half as they have two really good chances, but Woodhead makes solid saves. Denton finally extends the lead in the 58th minute when he loses the defense and grabs a pass from Rugg. Fearnehough then scores when he sends a cross into the box and the keeper collides with his own defender, letting the ball freely bounce in. We get a little sloppy here and allow them to pull one back. Denton grabs a hat trick after a horrible Worcester turnover on a throw in. Worcester pull back one more, but that's it.

Final: Vauxhall 4, Worcester 2

Goals: Denton 3, Fearnehough
Assists: Bentham, Cartwright, Mogg, Roe
Top Three: Denton 9.5, Mogg 7.8, Fearnehough 7.5
Worst: Jones 6.6
Shots: 16-7
On Target: 9-3

*Another month of unbeaten football. We're on a roll!

*Tom Denton was named player of the month. He is proving to be my best signing so far, scoring 7 goals and averaging an 8.24 in 4 matches.

*I finished 2nd for Coach of the Month.

*We have now gone 12 straight league games without a loss and sit in 3rd place, although we have a game in hand.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtourette View Post
That's a damn impressive month, nice to see it rewarded by the board.

Yep! They were only expecting me to avoid relegation, so must be delirious at our current results.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-06-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #14
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Pos Team
P W D L GD Pts
1st Histon
27 19 3 5 +28 60
2nd Harrogate
27 15 3 9 +12 48
3rd Vauxhall
28 13 7 8 +7 46
4th Gainsborough
26 12 9 5 +12 45
5th Brackley
27 13 5 9 +5 44
6th Stockport
27 11 10 6 +10 43
7th Altrincham
27 13 4 10 +2 43
8th Oxford City
27 12 5 10 +3 41
9th North Ferriby
28 12 2 14 +2 38
10th Boston Utd
28 9 10 9 +1 37
11th Gloucester
28 9 10 9 0 37
12th Workington
26 9 9 8 +7 36
13th Bradford PA
28 10 6 12 -9 36
14th Hednesford
27 10 5 12 0 35
15th Barrow
27 9 7 11 -10 34
16th Solihull Moors
27 8 7 12 -1 31
17th Colwyn Bay
27 8 7 12 -2 31
18th Guiseley
28 8 7 13 -12 31
19th Stalybridge
27 7 9 11 -7 30
20th Leamington
27 8 6 13 -9 30
21st AFC Telford
28 9 3 16 -19 30
22nd Worcester
28 5 8 15 -20 23

Old 05-06-2014, 10:39 PM   #15
larrymcg421
Head Coach

February 1

Vauxhall (13-7-8, 3rd) at Bradford PA (10-6-12, 13th)

A very uneventful first half as neither team generates a strong scoring threat, although we control possession. We finally break through in the 52nd minute when Rutter heads in an uncontested cross from Ellams. Woodhead makes an unbelievable diving save to prevent an equalizer. Then Rutter adds a 2nd goal on the ensuin counter attack.

Final: Vauxhall 2, Bradford PA 0
Goals: Rutter 2
Assists: Ellams, Williams
Top Three: Rutter 9.1, Hibbert 7.5, Jones 7.5
Possession: 58-42
Shots: 16-11
On Target: 9-2

February 8

Vauxhall (14-7-8, 2nd) vs. Histon (20-3-5, 1st)

Would be nice to win this one, even if we probably can't catch Histon. They have great athletes and almost catch us off guard a couple times. We break through in the 32nd minute when Barnes sends in a cross that bounces in front of Rutter, who knees it in. Then only 4 minutes later Barnes sends in another cross that the keeper tries to deflect out of bounds. Rutter grabs right before it goes out and makes a great backwards pass to Ellams who beats the keeper. Then in the second half, Brough finds an opening and fires a long range shot right through the defense that the keeper can't reach. Histon never threatens after this. The bad news is that both Fearnehough and Bentham go down with injuries. Still a great victory over the #1 team and maybe we do have an outside shot at the title.

Final: Vauxhall 3, Histon 0

Goals: Rutter, Brough, Ellams
Assists: Rutter, Barnes, Cartwright
Top Three: Rutter 8.6, Brough 8.3, Jones 7.6
Worst: Bentham 6.6
Shots: 12-8

*Bentham is out for a couple weeks, but Fearnehough will be out for two months. This stings as he has been one of my best players. I might move Rutter back to midfield to compensate.

February 15

Vauxhall (15-7-8, 2nd) at Leamington (9-7-13, 17th)

We struggle without Fearnehough and Leamington actually takes a 1-0 lead in the 29th minute. That's where it stands at the half. Int he 2nd half, a Leamington defender misses a tackle on Ellams, who breaks free down the middle and places a shot over the keeper's head. Still, it looks like we're going to suffer defeat until the 91st minute, when Sam Hibbert (of all people!) beats the keeper from just outside the penalty box. Another dramatic victory.

Final: Vauxhall 2, Leamington 1

Goals: Ellams, Hibbert
Assists: Barnes, Rugg
Top Three: Ellams 8.3, Hibbert 7.3, Mogg 6.9
Worst: Cartwright 6.2

February 22

Vauxhall (16-7-8, 2nd) vs. AFC Telford (10-4-16, 20th)

We really need Fearnehough back. AFC Telford score first on a corner that is headed in. We get almost no threat going for the whole first half, despite dominating possession throughout. They close up shop in the 2nd and time keeps passing with almost no threat. It isn't until the 81st minute that we are awarded a penalty. Brough's shot is deflected, but he's able to gather the rebound and hit it in. We have to settle for the draw here, but at least it's not an embarassing loss.

Final: Vauxhall 1, AFC Telford 1

Assists:
Top Three: Nicholas 7.2, Woodhead 6.9, Rutter 6.8
Worst: Williams 6.4
Shots: 19-7
On Target: 8-1

*Despite that draw, I win Coach of the Month.

*I highly doubt we can catch Histon now. If we won every remaining match, Histon would need to lose 6 more matches and they've only lost 6 all year. We're still in a great spot for the playoffs.

*A team wants Chris Noone for some reason. He was one of my highest salaries and rarely played, so I'm happy to let him go.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-07-2014 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #16
larrymcg421
Head Coach

March 1

Vauxhall (16-8-8, 2nd) at North Ferriby (14-3-14, 8th)

North Ferriby embarassed us last time, so I tell the team to seek revenge. Once again, the absence of Fearnehough is felt, as our offensive output has really tailed off. It's scoreless at the half. Early in the 2nd, Barnes sends in a really low cross that caught Ferriby off guard and they knock it into their own goal. And that's it for the scoring. Happy our run is continuing, but disappointed at the lack of scoring.

Final: Vauxhall 1, North Ferriby 0
Goals:
Assists: Rugg
Top Three: Woodhead 7.1, Nicholas 7.0, Mogg 6.8
Worst: Cartwright 6.4
Possession: 61-39
Shots: 14-6

March 8

Vauxhall (17-8-8, 2nd) at Guiseley (11-8-13, 15th)

We are just stuck in a run of bad form. Fearnehough missing is a problem, but it has to be more than that. We just can't get any decent shots on goal lately. Guisely score early in the first half and no matter what I do in the 2nd half, we cannot convert a goal and our unbeaten streak comes to an end.

Final: Guiseley 1, Vauxhall 0
Goals:
Assists:
Top Three: Woodhead 6.9, Nicholas 6.8, Rutter 6.7
Worst: Hibbert 6.0
Shots: 6-16

*I loan Kieran Walmsley, who can play either Midfield or Winger and has nice attributes for both.

March 15

Vauxhall (17-8-9, 2nd) vs. Stalybridge (8-10-15, 21st)

Kieran Walmsley had a horrendous debut, but no matter because the Rutter we all know and love is finally back. He puts us on the board by taking a long goal kick that is misplayed by the Stalybridge defense and beating the keeper one on one. Stalybridge pulled one back before half, but Rutter immediately puts us back on top with a header. Then Nicholas fires a power shot from just outside the penalty area to put us up 3-1. We hit the post a few times, but they never threaten again.

Final: Vauxhall 3, Stalybridge 1
Goals: Rutter 2, Nicholas
Top Three: Rutter 9.1, Barnes 7.7, Bentham 7.5
Worst: Walmsley 6.0
Shots: 22-4
On Target: 10-3

March 23

Vauxhall (18-8-9, 2nd) at Worcester (7-12-16, 22nd)

Don't even feel like writing up this one. Basically, we return to shit form and allow the worst team in the league to completely dominate us. Forget about the league title. We will not make the playoffs if we don't snap out of this.

Final: Worcester 3, Vauxhall 0
Goals:
Assists:
Top Three: Denton 6.7, Walmsley 6.6, Rutter 6.5
Worst: Brough 5.7
Shots: 10-7
On Target: 2-4

March 29

Vauxhall (18-8-10, 2nd) at Barrow (11-10-15, 17th)

They score right away. Are we going to fucking lose again? I'm so frustrated right now. Thankfully, this was just an aberration and we mostly dominate the match. Denton scores his first goal in a month and Rutter picks up 2 assists. This was a crucial victory with playoff spots on the line.

Final: Vauxhall 3, Barrow 1

Goals: Denton, Hibbert, Ellams
Assists: Rutter 2, Denton
Top Three: Rutter 8.7, Denton 8.4, Ellams 7.6
Worst: Jones 6.0
Possession: 57-43
Shots: 18-8

*A very frustrating month. Here's hoping that Fearnehough's upcoming return will get us going again.

*We need two wins and a draw to clinch a playoff spot.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #17
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Pos Team
P W D L GD Pts
1st Histon
37 24 3 10 +29 75
2nd Vauxhall
37 19 8 10 +14 65
3rd Harrogate
37 20 3 14 +16 63
4th Gainsborough
37 15 13 9 +11 58
5th Boston Utd
37 15 11 11 +5 56
6th Brackley
36 17 5 14 +1 56
7th Stockport
37 14 13 10 +12 55
8th Oxford City
37 15 8 14 +1 53
9th Solihull Moors
37 14 10 13 +8 52
10th Workington
36 13 11 12 +9 50
11th Bradford PA
37 14 8 15 -9 50
12th Colwyn Bay
36 13 10 13 +4 49
13th North Ferriby
37 15 4 18 0 49
14th Altrincham
37 14 7 16 -6 49
15th Guiseley
36 13 9 14 -5 48
16th Gloucester
37 10 14 13 -7 44
17th Hednesford
36 12 7 17 -7 43
18th Barrow
37 11 10 16 -16 43
19th Leamington
37 10 10 17 -15 40
20th Worcester
37 9 12 16 -11 39
21st Stalybridge
37 9 12 16 -13 39
22nd AFC Telford
36 11 6 19 -21 39

Old 05-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #18
larrymcg421
Head Coach

April 5

Vauxhall (19-8-10, 2nd) vs. Guiseley (14-9-14, 11th)

Remember that shitty team from earlier in the season? Well they're back! Seriously, we are at home and go down 2-0 in the first 10 minutes. They add one more before the half. I yell at the team and this inspires them to get one back in the 2nd half, but that's it. Right now it doesn't really matter if we make the playoffs. We will lose even if we do.

Final: Guiseley 3, Vauxhall 1
Goals: Ellams
Assists: Denton
Top Three: Ellams 7.1, Denton 6.7, Rutter 6.6
Shots: 7-15
On Target: 3-7

April 12

Vauxhall (19-8-11, 2nd) at Gloucester (10-15-13, 16th)

We open things early when Ellams makes a great touch pass to Denton who buries the goal. Ellams makes another great play when he dribbles around a defender and fires a power shot into the corner of the net. Up 2-0 at the half, we coast the rest of the way, but Ellams adds another goal in the 80th.

Final: Vauxhall 3, Gloucester 0
Goals: Ellams 2, Denton
Assists: Denton 2, Ellams
Top Three: Ellams 8.9, Denton 8.3, Hibbert 7.5
Worst: Rutter 6.2
Shots: 9-4
On Target: 5-0

*Just one win or two draws in our final three matches gets us in the playoffs.

April 19

Vauxhall (20-8-11, 2nd) vs. Workington (13-14-12, 10th)

Workington get on the board early by heading in a cross. However, Matthew Williams scores on a power strike from outside the penalty area and then puts us ahead on a penalty in the 56th minute. We miss several 2nd half chances and pay for it when Workington equalize on a cross into the box where nobody marked the attacking forwards.

Final: Vauxhall 2, Workington 2
Goals: Williams 2
Assists: Jones
Top Three: Williams 8.8, Woodhead 6.7, Barnes 6.7
Worst: Ellams 5.9
Shots: 17-6
On Target: 6-2
Possession: 51-49

April 21

Vauxhall (20-9-11, 3rd) at Altrincham (14-8-18, 18th)

A road game after one day rest. Rutter finally appears again with a terrific shot in top corner to put us up in the 33rd minute. 5 minutes later, Mogg takes a long kick from Woodhead that the defense misplays and beats the keeper! Yep, that's an assist for Woodhead. Altrincham are able to pull one back in the 71st minute, but we close up shop and clinch a playoff spot.

Final: Vauxhall 2, Altrincham 1
Goals: Rutter, Mogg
Assists: Denton, Woodhead
Top Three: Woodhead 7.4, Mogg 7.4, Walmsley 7.2
Shots: 12-9
On Target: 4-3
Possession: 53-47

April 26

Vauxhall (21-9-11, 3rd) vs. Solihull Moors (16-12-13, 8th)

Without any pressure, the team relaxes and plays their best match in a long time. Solihull actually gets the scoring started, but Rutter equalizes before the half. Then we erupt for three second half goals and go into the playoffs on a high note.

Final: Vauxhall 4, Solihull Moors 1
Goals: Ellams 2, Rutter, Denton
Assists: Ellams 2, Bentham, Cartwright
Top Three: Ellams 9.5, Rutter 7.8, Bentham 7.7
Worst: Wainwright 6.4
Shots: 12-7
On Target: 7-2

Old 05-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #19
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Playoffs - Leg 1: Vauxhall at Gainsborough

Gainsborough: Even, Draw: 11-5, Vauxhall: 11-5

ST Rutter, ST Ellams, ST Denton
LW Roe, CM Walmsley, DM Bentham, RW Cartwright
CD Nicholas, CD Jones, CD Brough
GK Woodhead

3': Great teamwork by the strikers gets the ball to Denton on the ride side of the box, but his shot is soft.

15': We send in a corner that bounces around but is eventually cleared.

18': Great defense sets up a counter attack which is finished by Cartwright on the right wing! 1-0

28': They pull off a counter of their own and our defenders lose their striker, who places a shot over Woodhead. 1-1

30': Woodhead mishandles a free kick and it bounces in the goal. Ugh! 1-2

Halftime: I tell the team to show me something else in the second half. I bring in Fearnehough, who I was trying to save for the return match.

49': We get a great opportunity in front of goal, but pass it too many times and Cartwright fires a weak shot.

51': Denton equalizes off a great through pass from Ellams. 2-2

80': Denton has another clear cut chance, but puts it over the goal.

Final: Vauxhall 2, Gainsborough 2

*A draw away from home is good for the first leg. Now we just have to win at home to advance.

*Guiseley won the first leg of their playoff match 3-0. They beat us twice this year, so I'm not thrilled about the prospect of having to face them if we advance.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #20
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Playoffs - Leg 2: Vauxhall vs. Gainsborough

Vauxhall: Even, Draw: 11-5, Gainsborough: 11-5

ST Ellams, ST Rutter, ST Mogg
LW Barnes, CM Fearnehough, DM Vermiglio, RW Cartwright
CD Nicholas, CD Hibbert, CD Jones

1': They head in a long throw in and we're already down. 0-1

7': Rutter hits the side of the net.

9': Off a long goal kick, Mogg gets a one on one opportunity, but the keeper makes a great save.

17': Ellams gets it inside the box but fires an awkward shot that isn't even close. We keep threatening, but our finishing is poor.

19': More of the same. We get several shots in the box, but they are either deflected or off target.

27': Mogg gets denied again, but Rutter is there for the rebound and equalizes! 1-1

41': Our constant threats finally pay off when Mogg sends in a cross and Rutter heads it home. 2-1

Halftime: Rutter is down to 74%, so I make the tough decision to sit him and put Denton in. I also bring in Brough for Fearnehough.

49': Hibbert gets sent off for a red card! Are you kidding me?

56': We get a break, but Brough sends it over the goal.

73': Denton fires it high and wide.

76': Nicholas misplays a goal kick and their striker has a one on one chance, but thankfully misses it.

78': We are trying to close up shop, but they've had three straight breaks. They keep missing the shots.

86': A dangerous corner bounces high, but Woodhead pushes it over the bar.

91': We catch them pushing up too high and get past the defense. They trip Mogg and get their own red card.

Final: Vauxhall 2, Gainsborough 1

*We are through to the final! Guiseley will indeed be our opponent. We get a week to rest.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-07-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #21
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Skrill North Playoff Final: Vauxhall vs. Guiseley

This is what it's all about. Win and we promote. Lose and we face heartbreak. Guiseley beat us twice this year, including 3-1 at our place.

ST Rutter, ST Mogg, ST Denton
LW Ellams, CM Fearnehough, DM Bentham, RW Cartwright
CD Nicholas, CD Jones, CD Brough

3': We concede a corner early, but defend it well.

5': Woodhead makes a great one on one save.

21': We win a corner, but Mogg sends a weak pass that is intercepted and almost leads to a break.

26': Rutter hits the side of the net.

28': A corner sits in front of the box forever. The defenders try to battle for it, but Guiseley are able to put it through. 0-1

36': Lazy passing gives them another break, but Woodhead grabs the loose header.

37': Woodhead's ensuing goal kick is headed to Mogg, who pushes it to Rutter just outside the penalty box and he puts it away! 1-1

38': They come back down immediately, but Woodhead makes a terrific diving stop.

Halftime: I move Ellams back up to striker to replace Denton and bring in Roe for the LW spot.

51': Jones, who will never ever play Vauxhall football again, just watches a corner go right in front of him. Guiseley easily put it through. 1-2

62': We are not threatening. They get another break, but miss the shot.

74': Still not threatening. Game is being played on our half. I make some desperate substitutions (Williams in for Fearnehough and Barnes in for Roe.)

78': We are given a free kick, but Cartwright decides to give the ball to the fans.

82': Barnes sends a cross to the same person.

85': They misplay a pass to Cartwright who gets it all alone on the left side of the box and beats the keeper!!! 2-2

Extra time: Barnes gets hurt right before the whistle. I pay for all my substitutions now because we'll be a man down.

92': Brough sends in a dangerous free kick, but we can't get anyone there to meet it.

93': Woodhead makes a diving save on a dangerous header.

95': We win a corner. Mogg sends the cross in and Rutter's header is just wide.

99': Very dangerous cross into the box is cleared by Brough.

105': Looked like they had a goal, but the flag was up.

2nd Extra Time: We have played well being a man down, but all the action is taking place in our half. of the pitch.

108': We get several great chances off a corner, but can't convert.

109': Another diving save from Woodhead.

113': Ellams shot is wide.

115': When I mean Jones will never play Vauxhall football again, I mean it! Deep in our own corner he sends a cross field pass that a Guiseley player gets right in front of the goal. Somehow, Woodhead comes up with another amazing save.

And we go to penalties!

Brough converts. 1-0
Adams converts. 1-1
Williams converts. 2-1
Ibie converts. 2-2
Ellams misses! No! 2-2
Rothert converts. 2-3
Mogg converts. 3-3
Hobson converts. 3-4
Cartwright converts. 4-4
Irie-be converts. 4-5

And we fail to promote. Devastating.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #22
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Ugh, disappointing, but you can hold your head high. That was an amazing season. Get 'em next year.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:16 AM   #23
mrtourette
High School JV

Yeah unlucky, losing a play-off final on penalties is heartbreaking.
mrtourette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #24
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Pos Inf Team
Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag G.D. Pts
1st C Histon
42 24 5 13 72 47 +25 77
2nd
Harrogate
42 24 4 14 72 48 +24 76
3rd
Vauxhall
42 22 9 11 85 66 +19 75
4th
Gainsborough
42 18 15 9 67 51 +16 69
5th P Guiseley
42 19 9 14 65 54 +11 66
6th
Brackley
42 20 6 16 55 52 +3 66
7th
Stockport
42 17 13 12 62 51 +11 64
8th
Boston Utd
42 17 12 13 59 55 +4 63
9th
Solihull Moors
42 16 12 14 60 52 +8 60
10th
Colwyn Bay
42 16 11 15 61 57 +4 59
11th
Bradford PA
42 16 9 17 67 75 -8 57
12th
Workington
42 13 16 13 65 57 +8 55
13th
North Ferriby
42 17 4 21 57 58 -1 55
14th
Oxford City
42 15 10 17 66 71 -5 55
15th
Altrincham
42 15 8 19 63 72 -9 53
16th
Barrow
42 13 11 18 46 62 -16 50
17th
Gloucester
42 11 16 15 47 59 -12 49
18th
Stalybridge
42 11 15 16 38 48 -10 48
19th
Hednesford
42 13 8 21 53 68 -15 47
20th R Leamington
42 12 11 19 52 68 -16 47
21st R Worcester
42 10 13 19 54 67 -13 43
22nd R AFC Telford
42 11 7 24 48 76 -28 40

Old 05-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #25
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Season stats...

Strikers

Tom Rutter - 40 Apps, 24 Gls, 14 Ast, 9 PoM, 7.38 Rat
Lloyd Ellams - 37 Apps, 15 Gls, 13 Ast, 8 PoM, 7.10 Rat
Josh Mogg - 25 Apps, 6 Gls, 10 Ast, 1 PoM, 6.96 Rat
Tom Denton - 18 Apps, 11 Gls, 6 Ast, 1 PoM, 7.24 Rat
Jordan Rugg - 14 Apps, 9 Gls, 7 Ast, 6.89 Rat
Aaron Rey - 8 Apps, 0 Gls, 0 Ast, 6.34 Rat
Gary Martindale - 2 Apps, 0 Gls, 0 Ast, 6.30

As good as Rutter and Ellams were, we were really doomed by poor finishing. There were too many matches this year where we had a huge advantage in chances but couldn't convert enough of them to matter. Rutter and Ellams will be kept, but the rest are gone (unless I can loan Denton again).

Midfielders

Danny Fearnehough - 32 Apps, 4 Gls, 10 Ast, 1 PoM, 7.04 Rat
Craig Bentham - 30 Apps, 0 Gls, 4 Ast, 6.66 Rat
Michael Brough - 22 Apps, 7 Gls, 1 Ast, 1 PoM, 6.66 Rat
Matthew Williams - 20 Apps, 2 Gls, 1 Ast, 1 PoM, 6.72 Rat
Jamie Vermiglio - 11 Apps, 0 Gls, 0 Ast, 0 PoM, 6.58 Rat

We really struggled when Fearnehough went down and were never the same, even when he got back. Bentham was never great and had a couple of awful moments early in the season, but was pretty consistent by the end. I will keep the two of them.

Wingers

Neil Cartwright - 16 Apps, 2 Gls, 4 Ast, 6.70 Rat
Louis Barnes - 13 Apps, 1 Gls, 3 Ast, 6.73 Rat
Phil Roe - 10 Apps, 1 Gl, 0 Ast, 6.64 Rat
Stephen Wainwright - 3 Apps, 0 Gls, 0 Ast, 6.28 Rat
Karl Clair - 2 Apps, 0 Gls, 0 Ast, 6.30 Rat

We didn't have wingers in our original formation, so I didn't upgrade that spot. I will definitely be looking to get some good people here for next season.

Defenders

Andy Nicholas - 41 Apps, 2 Gls, 2 Ast, 6.74 Rat
Sam Hibbert - 33 Apps, 2 Gls, 1 Ast, 6.51 Rat
Tom Hannigan - 21 Apps, 0 Gls, 0 Ast, 7.06 Rat
David Kocsis - 9 Apps, 1 Gls, 1 Ast, 6.58 Rat

Looking back, I definitely should've kept Hannigan. Hibbert was my worst signing, although he did better once I moved him from WB to CD.

Goalkeeper

Ben Woodhead - 44 Apps, 68 Allowed, 8 Clean Sheets, 6.75 Rat

Woodhead struggled at times but played brilliantly at others, especially in the playoff final. I could probably use an upgrade here, but there are more pressing areas.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-08-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #26
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post
Ugh, disappointing, but you can hold your head high. That was an amazing season. Get 'em next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtourette View Post
Yeah unlucky, losing a play-off final on penalties is heartbreaking.

Thanks guys. It was definitely heartbreaking, but that's what makes this such a great game.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #27
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Offseason

The only people I re-sign from last year's squad are Rutter, Fearnehough, Woodhead, Ellams, and Bentham. Aaron Rey and Gary Martindale are sticking around for free. This leaves lots of holes and not as much money as I'd like to fill them. Even after finishing 2nd in the league, we are heavily underfunded compared to our competitors.

CD Dominic Kennedy ($250 p/w) - A terrific physical player who should help us defend corners and crosses, but is not a good cover guy.

ST Alex Johnson ($425 p/w) - Has strong Finishing (11) and other solid attributes. I will have to train up his Stamina (7), but I have high hopes for this guy.

ST George Conway ($110 p/app) - Young striker who can fill one of the backup roles. Fast and has good finishing.

ST Craig Mahon ($350 p/w) - A very fast striker (12 Acc, 13 Pace) who can also back up the winger spots if needed.

CD Spencer Harris ($375 p/w) - A better technical defender, with good Marking (11) and Tackling (11), but no huge weak spots.

CD Luke Blakely ($325 p/w) - Has really strong Bravery (12), Stamina (11), Strength (11), and Marking (10), with no huge weak spots in his game.

ST Kim O'Callaghan ($55 p/w) - 16 year old striker who is really fast but weak on technical skills. Could be effective in spots.

Then I sign the following people on loan, for no charge:

CM Ben Jago
CM Mitchell Duggan

Mostly for depth, but they have some decent skills and I get to loan them for free.

Starting Lineup as we enter the 2014-15 season:

ST Rutter, ST Mahon, ST Johnson
LW Ellams, CM Fearnehough, DM Bentham, RW Conway
CD Kennedy, CD Harris, CD Blakely
GK Woodhead

Yep, we only return 5 starters from last season and I'm uncertain how things are going to go. We were getting away with paying very low wages to guys that already had contracts when I joined the team. Replacing them (or re-signing) came at a huge cost and we didn't get a big increase in payroll. As it is, we are overbudget and we have serious depth issues (especially at the wing and defense spots). I will be keeping my eye on the loan market.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-08-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #28
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Preseason is uneventful and nobody gets injured. So lets get the season underway.

August 16

Vauxhall (0-0-0) vs. Harrogate (0-0-0)

In the 9th minute, Harrogate go ahead on a corner that is headed in. The team is a little rusty and fails to generate significant threats. It isn't until the 81st minute that Conway gets the ball to Fearnehough in the box, who places an angled shot over the keeper for the equalizer. This motivates the squad and we get some strong threats the rest of the way, but can't convert.

Final: Vauxhall 1, Harrogate 1

Goal: Fearnehough
Assist: Conway
Top Three: Fearnehough 8.3, Woodhead 6.9, Kennedy 6.7
Worst: Blakely 6.3
Shots: 10-4

We finalize a deal with Lee Pugh for $400 p/w. He's a winger who has speed and can hit strong crosses. This puts us further over budget, but was necessary.

August 20

Vauxhall (0-1-0, 16th) at Cambridge City (0-0-1, 21st)

Camebridge City are one of the three promoted teams. In the 13th minutee, Cambridge defenders fail to clear a ball in the box and Ellams gets hold of it and puts it by the keeper. Then in the 34th minute, we are awarded a penalty. I tell Ellams (who missed the penalty in the playoff final) to take it and he converts for the 2-0 lead. A very emotional moment for Vauxhall and our fans. Then Pugh sends a cross to Mahon, who heads it in.

Final: Vauxhall 3, Cambridge City 0

Goals: Ellams 2, Mahon
Assist: Pugh
Top Three: Ellams 8.6, Mahon 7.8, Harris 7.5
Worst: Johnson 6.4
Shots: 11-8
On Target: 5-2

August 23

Vauxhall (1-1-0, 3rd) vs. Altrincham (1-1-0, 6th)

Our lack of depth is gonna make this one interesting. We are starting lots of guys under 90% (some close to 80) and have to put a couple people out of position and call up Mitchell Duggan from the U-18 Squad. 33 minutes in, Duggan sends a cross in that the keeper can't handle and Jago (playing out of position at strike) puts it through. They equalize early in the 2nd half on a corner, but then it is Aaron Rey who scores the winner when he receives a terrific pass from Fearnehough.

Goals: Jago, Rey
Assist: Fearnehough, Dugga
Top Three: Fearnehough 7.6, Jago 7.4, Rey 7.1
Worst: Push 6.3
Shots: 15-8
On Target: 5-5

August 30

Vauxhall (2-1-0, 2nd) vs. Worksop (0-1-2, 20th)

Worksop is another promoted team and they also happen to be the team that we loaned Tom Denton from last season. He gets things started by firing a strong strike to beat Woodhead at the near post. We are down 1-0 at the half, but come right out at halftime with some beautiful teamwork that leads to a Mahon goal. Then Ellams puts us ahead by scoring on a free kick! The defense closes up shop and we conclude a solid opening month of Vauxhall football.

Final: Vauxhall 2, Worksop 1

Goals: Mahon, Ellams
Assists: Johnson 2
Top Three: Johnson 7.5, Ellams 7.4, Mahon 7.1
Worst: Bentham 6.3
Shots: 13-3

*This was a good start, but we beat two promoted teams, so hard to get too excited. The win against Altrincham is the most impressive, since we fielded an exhausted, patchwork squad.

*My job status is still very secure, but the board is really upset with me for the payroll management.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:22 AM   #29
larrymcg421
Head Coach

September 6

Vauxhall (3-1-0, 3rd) at Barrow (2-1-1, 8th)

33 minutes in, a shot by Johnson hits the post, but the keeper dove to try to stop it and thus had no chance when Pugh came in to grab the rebound. They equalize just before the half on a penalty. Frustration! However, Mahon explodes for two goals in the 53rd and 71st minute to give us a 3-1 lead. They pull one back late, but we hold for the win.

Final: Vauxhall 3, Barrow 2
Goals: Mahon 2, Pugh
Assists: Johnson 2, Bentham
Top Three: Mahon 8.8, Pugh 7.4, Johnson 7.2
Worst: Duggan
Shots: 14-11

September 9

Vauxhall (4-1-0, 2nd) at Bradford PA (1-1-3, 17th)

These short rest games are going to be really tough this year. A very boring game, although we control possession throughout. It's 0-0 at halftime and nobody scores until the 60th minute when O'Callaghan makes a defender slip and beats the keeper. The defense shuts them down. Rutter goes down late and will be out for 8-11 days.

Final: Vauxhall 1, Bradford PA 0
Goal: O'Callaghan
Assist: Conway
Top Three: O'Callaghan 8.2, Conway 7.4, Kennedy 7.3
Worst: Ellams 6.3
Shots: 9-0
On Target: 1-1

September 13

Vauxhall (5-1-0, 2nd) vs. Skelmersdale (3-1-2, 9th)

Skelmersdale are the other recently promoted team, but have done well so far. They continue to do so as 5 minutes in, they catch our defense off guard with an easy through pass that is converted for a goal. Johnson equalizes on a counter in the 17th minute, but only 8 minute later, they retake the lead on a power shot from outside the box. They close up shop and we can't equalize.

Final: Skelmersdale 2, Vauxhall 1
Goal: Johnson
Assist: O' Callaghan
Top Three: Johnson 7.4, O'Callaghan 7.2, Woodhead 6.8
Worst: Smith 6.1
Shots: 13-6
On Target: 5-4

FA Cup - 2nd Qualifying Round

Vauxhall vs. Biggleswade Town

We have a week off after this, so the starting lineup is in against a lower division team. Fearnehough scores less than a minute in on a rebound and it looks like it could be a route. However, we get nothing going for the rest of the half. They equalize in 51st minute on a corner. Despite several chances, we can't find the net in the second half and will now have to do a return match. Also, Dominic Kennedy got hurt and will be out for a month.

Final: Vauxhall 1, Biggleswade Town 1
Goal: Fearnehough
Assist: Mahon
Top Three: Fearnehough 7.3, Woodhead 6.9, Harris 6.7
Shots: 11-6

September 24

FA Cup - 2nd Qualifying round

Well, we no longer have the week off. If we're going to win this one, it will have to be the backups. I scrape the bottom of the barrel for this one, including 43 yr old Gary Martindale. The backups actually play well, but still can't put anything away and it is 0-0 at the half. However, Ben Jago and Anthony Bolland score 2nd half goals and we advance. Ellams gets hurt and will be out for 5-6 weeks.

Final: Vauxhall 2, Biggleswade Town 0
Goals: Jago, Bolland
Assist: O'Callaghan
Top Three: Jago 7.6, O'Callaghan 7.6, Bolland 7.5
Worst: Mahon 6.6
Shots: 10-6
Possession: 62-38

September 27

Vauxhall (5-1-1, 3rd) vs. Tamworth (4-0-3, 9th)

Tamworth is a recently relegated team that we faced last year in the FA Cup. Rutter is back and finally gets his first goal of the season in the 14th minute with a nice shot at the far post. That's all the scoring that would be done as we completely dominate possession and frustrate Tamworth.

Final: Vauxhall 1, Tamworth 0
Goal: Rutter
Assist: Fearnehough
Top Three: Fearnehough 7.3, Rutter 7.1, Woodhead 6.9
Worst: Johnson 6.6
Shots: 13-4

September 30

Vauxhall (6-1-1, 2nd) at Colwyn Bay (5-3-0, 3rd)

Another tough test as we're on the road on short rest. This was a really frustrating game. There were two huge defensive lapses that allowed Colwyn Bay's two goals - one an own goal on a corner and the other with a stupid pass deep in our own area. O'Callaghan and Mahon come through in the 2nd half to salvage the draw, but this is a match we should've won.

Final: Vauxhall 2, Colwyn Bay 2

Goals: O'Callaghan, Mahon
Assists: Rutter, O'Callaghan
Top Three: O'Callaghan 8.2, Rutter 7.6, Mahon 7.2
Worst: Bentham 6.2
Possession: 53-47

*Through 9 games this season, we have allowed 9 goals. At the same point last season, we had allowed 21.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-09-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:25 AM   #30
larrymcg421
Head Coach

PosInfTeam
PldWonDrnLstForAgG.D.Pts
1st
Stalybridge
9720247+1723
2nd
Gainsborough
9621168+820
3rd
Vauxhall
9621169+720
4th
Colwyn Bay
95402010+1019
5th
Gateshead
9540178+919
6th
Hyde
9531138+518
7th
North Ferriby
95132014+616
8th
Tamworth
95041711+615
9th
Stockport
9432129+315
10th
Lowestoft
11th
Skelmersdale
9414810-213
12th
Boston Utd
93331311+212
13th
Barrow
93241420-611
14th
Workington
93151517-210
15th
Altrincham
915369-38
16th
Hednesford
9144713-67
17th
Solihull Moors
91441118-77
18th
Harrogate
9216412-87
19th
Worksop
9135914-56
20th
Cambridge C
9126616-105
21st
Bradford PA
9117816-84
22nd
Redditch
9108824-163

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-09-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #31
larrymcg421
Head Coach

October 4

FA Cup - 3rd Qualifying Round

Chorley vs. Vauxhall

Well this is a grotesque performance. Chorley are a lower division squad, but they absolutely destroy us. Our defense is seemingly out of position all match and Mahon misses three wide open scoring chances.

Final: Chorley 3, Vauxhall 0

Goals:
Assists:
Top Three: Conway 6.7, Woodhead 6.6, Pugh 6.4
Worst: Rutter 5.9
Shots: 12-7
On Target: 1-3

October 11

Vauxhall (6-2-1, 3rd) at Redditch (1-0-8, 22nd)

Well this was quite a game. Redditch have been terrible so far, but they seemed to have our defense's number. We really miss Dominic Kennedy back, because Liam Smith has been terrible. He gifts a goal with another of his stupid cross field passes in front of the box. Thankfully, our offense showed up for the first time and each time they equalized, we were able to go ahead with one more.

Final: Vauxhall 4, Redditch 3

Goals: O'Callaghan 2, Conway, Mahon
Assists: Rutter, Conway, Pugh, Blakely
Top Three: O'Callaghan 8.8, Conway 7.8, Mahon 7.4
Shots: 20-9
On Target: 7-4

*Are you fucking kidding me?!!!! Fearnehough got hurt against Redditch and will be out for 5-6 months. That could be our entire season down the drain right there.

October 18

Vauxhall (7-2-1, 2nd) at Boston Utd (3-4-3, 11th)

Kennedy is back. I've moved Rutter to take Fearnehough's spot. It doesn't do much good. We get an early goal when Spencer Harris gets hold of a deflection in the box and puts it through. Boston equalize right before the half when we lose track of their striker. Eventhough they get a red card we can't take advantage in the second half and settle for a draw.

Final: Vauxhall 1, Boston Utd 1

Goals: Harris
Assist:
Top Three: Harris 7.3, Conway 6.7, Blakely 6.7
Worst: Mahon 6.3
Shots: 7-4

October 21

Vauxhall (7-3-1, 1st) vs. Stalybridge (7-2-1, 2nd)

Just 2 minutes in and Harris gives away a penalty, which they convert. About 14 minute later, we equalize when O'Callaghan places a shot just over the keeper's head. Then just before the half, some great team work between Pugh, Johnson, and O'Callaghan leads to O'Callaghan's 2nd goal. Stalybridge get a couple great chances to equalize in the 2nd half, but they send their shots into the stands.

Final: Vauxhall 2, Stalybridge 1

Goals: O'Callaghan 2
Assists: Johnson 2
Top Three: O'Callaghan 8.8, Johnson 7.6, Pugh 6.8
Worst: Harris 6.1
Shots: 11-6
On Target: 6-1

October 25

Vauxhall (8-3-1, 1st) vs. Lowestoft (7-2-3, 4th)

Just before half, Liam Smith gets stripped of the ball and Lowestoft convert the easy one on one chance. We really need Kennedy back. In the 50th minute, we manage to equalize when Mahon makes a great backwards pass to Bentham who puts it away. the rest of the 2nd half is uneventful and we settle for the draw.

Final: Vauxhall 1, Lowestoft 1

Goal: Bentham
Top Three: Bentham 7.3, Pugh 6.9, Mahon 6.8
Shots: 15-8

*The Fearnehough injury really, really sucks. Thankfully, I am deep at Striker and can put Rutter in the midfield. Rutter has been shockingly unable to score goals this year, with just 1 in 12 appearances.

*O'Callaghan, who I got for $55 p/w as a backup, has 6 goals and 2 assists in 6 matches. He's earned a starting spot.

*Time to make a decision on loan extensions. I renew Jago and Moynes, but let Duggan and Smith expire. The departure of Smith will hurt my defense depth, but putting a turtle on the back line would probably be more effective than Smith. Plus I have to be careful not to go over the loan limits as loans will be crucial to my title chances. I still have 4 long terms available and 2 more short terms.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-09-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #32
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Pos Inf Team
1st
Stalybridge
13 9 2 2 31 15 +16 29
2nd
Hyde
13 8 4 1 23 13 +10 28
3rd
Vauxhall
13 8 4 1 24 15 +9 28
4th
North Ferriby
13 8 1 4 27 20 +7 25
5th
Lowestoft
13 7 3 3 22 16 +6 24
6th
Colwyn Bay
13 6 5 2 26 16 +10 23
7th
Gateshead
13 6 4 3 21 15 +6 22
8th
Stockport
12 6 3 3 18 15 +3 21
9th
Gainsborough
13 6 3 4 21 20 +1 21
10th
Boston Utd
13 5 5 3 23 15 +8 20
11th
Barrow
13 6 2 5 23 23 0 20
12th
Tamworth
12 6 1 5 21 15 +6 19
13th
Skelmersdale
13 6 1 6 17 18 -1 19
14th
Workington
13 5 2 6 18 18 0 17
15th
Harrogate
13 4 3 6 12 16 -4 15
16th
Altrincham
13 3 5 5 9 14 -5 14
17th
Cambridge C
13 3 3 7 12 20 -8 12
18th
Solihull Moors
13 2 4 7 17 28 -11 10
19th
Worksop
12 2 3 7 16 20 -4 9
20th
Hednesford
12 1 4 7 8 18 -10 7
21st
Bradford PA
13 1 2 10 14 29 -15 5
22nd
Redditch
13 1 0 12 16 40 -24 3

Old 05-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #33
larrymcg421
Head Coach

November 8

Vauxhall (8-4-1, 3rd) at Stockport (7-3-3, 6th)

Once again, we control possession, have more shots, but still get beat. Stockport score on two corners and then a misplayed pass gives them their third. O'Callaghan's two goals keep us in it, but not enough. If we don't win the title, this is a match to look back on.

Final: Stockport 3, Vauxhall 2

Assists: Rutter, Mahon
Top Three: O'Callaghan 8.8, Rutter 6.8, Harris 6.7
Worst: Blakely 6.1

November 11

Vauxhall (8-4-2, 3rd) at Gainsborough (7-3-4, 7th)

More ugliness. We actually go up early on a Ben Jago goal. Then they take the lead on two goals within 9 minutes right before the half. Rutter equalizes right after the half, but then our defense gifts two late goals. Our nets are certainly bigger lately.

Final: Gainsborough 4, Vauxhall 2

Goals: Jago, Rutter
Assists: Woodhead, Rutter
Top Three: Rutter 7.7, Jago 7.3, Woodhead 6.8
Worst: Smith 5.6
Shots: 18-15
On Target: 9-6

November 15

FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round

Corby score on a corner early on and then are able to shut down our worthless offense. Pathetic. Third loss in a row and our 2nd this season to a lower division squad.

Final: Corby 1, Vauxhall 0

Goals:
Assists:
Top Three: Woodhead 6.9, Kennedy 6.9, Blakely 6.7
Worst: Mahon 6.3
Shots: 12-11

November 22

Vauxhall (8-4-3, 3rd) vs. Hyde (9-5-1, 2nd)

Very important match if we don't want to fall too far behind in the title hunt. Pugh breaks a scoreless tie in the 41st minute with a terrific shot from the outside of the penalty area. Then O'Callaghan gives us a cushion when he meets a Pugh free kick and puts it in. The defense plays great today and we get a much needed victory.

Final: Vauxhall 2, Hyde 0

Goals: Pugh, O'Callaghan
Assists: O'Callaghan, Pugh
Top Three: O'Callaghan 8.5, Pugh 8.2, Blakely 7.4
Worst: Rutter 6.4
Shots: 14-3
On Target: 6-1

*We survive a terrible month and are only 3 pts back in the title chase.

*Fearnehough might be back by the end of the season.

*I make a loan offer to Bobby Lofthouse. He will backup the CM and RW spots. He has speed and creativity.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #34
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Pos Inf Team
1st
Stalybridge
17 10 5 2 37 20 +17 35
2nd
Hyde
17 9 6 2 31 20 +11 33
3rd
North Ferriby
17 10 2 5 33 23 +10 32
4th
Vauxhall
16 9 4 3 30 22 +8 31
5th
Stockport
16 9 4 3 25 19 +6 31
6th
Gateshead
16 8 4 4 26 17 +9 28
7th
Lowestoft
16 8 4 4 25 19 +6 28
8th
Gainsborough
16 8 4 4 31 26 +5 28
9th
Workington
17 8 2 7 28 23 +5 26
10th
Boston Utd
17 6 6 5 28 22 +6 24
11th
Barrow
17 7 3 7 26 29 -3 24
12th
Colwyn Bay
16 6 5 5 28 22 +6 23
13th
Skelmersdale
18 7 2 9 26 26 0 23
14th
Hednesford
17 6 4 7 19 19 0 22
15th
Altrincham
18 5 7 6 14 18 -4 22
16th
Cambridge C
17 6 3 8 17 22 -5 21
17th
Tamworth
18 6 2 10 26 29 -3 20
18th
Harrogate
16 4 5 7 16 21 -5 17
19th
Solihull Moors
18 3 6 9 23 42 -19 15
20th
Worksop
16 3 3 10 20 28 -8 12
21st
Bradford PA
17 2 3 12 21 39 -18 9
22nd
Redditch
17 2 2 13 22 46 -24 8

Old 05-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #35
larrymcg421
Head Coach

December 6

Vauxhall (9-4-3, 4th) at Workington (8-2-7, 9th)

Well our offense finally showed up for this one, but the defense is still atrocious. I fiddled with my set pieces to try and take advantage of Kennedy's height on corners and it immediately paid off. Then they get two goals in two minute to take a 2-1 lead. In the 2nd half, O'Callaghan equalizes for us twice to help us salvage a draw.

Final: Vauxhall 3, Workington 3
Goals: O'Callaghan 2, Kennedy
Assists: Ellams, Moynes
Top Three: O' Callaghan 8.8, Ellams 7.5, Kennedy 7.4
Worst: Blakely 6.2
Shots: 20-6
On Target: 7-4

December 9

Vauxhall (9-5-3, 4th) at Hednesford (6-4-8, 16th)

It's been a while since we dominated a match and this was a good time to do it. Rutter finally breaks out of his long slump and O'Callaghan has yet another two goal game. I have to figure out how I can extend his contract.

Final: Vauxhall 3, Hednesford 0
Goals: O'Callaghan 2, Rutter
Assists: Rutter 2, Conway
Top Three: O'Callaghan 9.1, Rutter 8.4, Harris 7.4
Worst: Lofthouse 6.5
Shots: 15-3
On Target: 7-0

December 20

Vauxhall (10-5-3, 4th) vs. Gateshead (9-4-5, 7th)

Rutter makes a nice pass to O'Callaghan who scores yet another goal just 35 seconds into the contest. And that would be it for the scoring. The defense plays a nice, solid game. The offense fails to convert several chances, but puts enough pressure to frustrate Gateshead.

Final: Vauxhall 1, Gateshead 0

Goals: O'Callaghan
Top Three: Rutter 7.4, O' Callaghan 7.4, Kennedy 7.4
Worst: Pugh 6.1
Shots: 9-7

December 23

Vauxhall (11-5-3, 3rd) at Harrogate (5-7-7, 17th)

And just when it looked like we had a chance to catch Stalybridge, we throw up this shit sandwich. They go up 3-0 in the first half as we make severe passing mistakes and give them easy breaks. O'Callaghan (of course) and Lofthouse pull two back in the 2nd half, but they get one more while we were in desperation mode.

Final: Harrogate 4, Vauxhall 2

Goals: O'Callaghan, Lofthouse
Assists: Pugh, Mahon
Top Three: Lofthouse, O'Callaghan, Mahon
Worst: Blakely 6.0
Shots: 16-9

December 26

Vauxhall (11-5-4, 4th) vs. North Ferriby (11-3-6, 6th)

A very exciting match as goals are score within minutes of each other. We start with O'Callaghan in the 10th minute and they answer 2 minutes later. They go up in the 30th and Rutter scores 4 minutes later. They go up in the 57th and Mahon answers 1 minute later. Alex Johnson missed a penalty in the 28th minute and I'm officially done with him.

Final: Vauxhall 3, North Ferriby 3

Goals: O'Callaghan, Rutter, Mahon
Assists: O'Callaghan, Mahon, Johnson
Top Three: O'Callaghan 8.7, Mahon 8.3, Rutter 7.3
Worst: Kennedy 6.2
On Target: 9-5
Possession: 55-45

December 30

Vauxhall (11-6-4, 4th) at Solihull Moors (3-6-12, 19th)

After O'Callaghan gets things going again (incredible), they equalize just after halftime on a Bentham own goal. This would be a horrible draw for us to take. Thankfully, Mahon comes through just 2 minutes later and we escape with a victory against a really bad team.

Final: Vauxhall 2, Solihull Moors 1

Assists: Kennedy, Pugh
Top Three: Kennedy, O'Callaghan, Mahon
Worst: Rutter 6.3

*Stalybridge are now 5 pts clear of us with one less game played. We are 5 pts clear of the 6th place team.

*My biggest concern right now is how do I re-sign O'Callaghan? My budgetary stupidity means I cannot offer him what he's asking, eventhough he only wants a very small amount. He will probably be player of the year and he's only 17.

*I list several guys, including Johnson and Mahon, but nobody wants them. Sigh. That Johnson contract really bites. 16 appearances, 1 goal, 3 assists.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #36
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Pos Inf Team
1st
Stalybridge
21 14 5 2 45 23 +22 47
2nd
Stockport
22 13 4 5 39 26 +13 43
3rd
Hyde
22 12 7 3 39 26 +13 43
4th
Vauxhall
22 12 6 4 44 33 +11 42
5th
Gateshead
21 11 4 6 34 23 +11 37
6th
North Ferriby
22 11 4 7 39 31 +8 37
7th
Lowestoft
22 11 4 7 32 25 +7 37
8th
Colwyn Bay
22 8 7 7 37 32 +5 31
9th
Gainsborough
22 9 4 9 36 36 0 31
10th
Barrow
20 9 3 8 30 30 0 30
11th
Boston Utd
22 7 8 7 36 30 +6 29
12th
Workington
22 8 5 9 39 39 0 29
13th
Tamworth
23 8 5 10 33 33 0 29
14th
Skelmersdale
21 8 4 9 31 30 +1 28
15th
Hednesford
22 8 4 10 24 26 -2 28
16th
Altrincham
23 6 9 8 22 27 -5 27
17th
Harrogate
21 6 8 7 27 27 0 26
18th
Cambridge C
22 7 5 10 21 27 -6 26
19th
Redditch
21 4 3 14 26 51 -25 15
20th
Solihull Moors
22 3 6 13 25 50 -25 15
21st
Worksop
20 3 5 12 22 34 -12 14
22nd
Bradford PA
21 3 4 14 27 49 -22 13

Old 05-09-2014, 10:59 PM   #37
larrymcg421
Head Coach

January 3

Vauxhall (12-6-4, 4th) vs. Cambridge City (7-5-10, 18th)

Inexcusable. A home draw against a shitty team. On an equalizer in the 89th minute. So frustrating.

Final: Vauxhall 1, Cambridge City 1
Goal: Mahon
Assist: Pugh
Top Three: Mahon 7.1, Woodhead 7.0, Bentham 6.9
Worst: Blakely 6.7
Shots: 8-13
Possession: 62-38

January 10

Vauxhall (12-7-4, 4th) at Altrincham (6-9-8, 17th)

Mahon has been on fire lately and he got us started in the 21st minute with a terrific strike. However, Altrincham are able to equalize when we fall asleep on the counter. We cannot afford another draw to a crappy team, so I treat this like a loss and go all out on the attack. This pays off when Rutter gets hold of a rebound in 82nd minute and puts it through for the winner.

Goals: Rutter, Mahon
Assists: Magon, O'Callaghan
Top Three: Mahon 7.9, O'Callaghan 7.6, Rutter 7.3
Worst: Kennedy 6.0

January 17

Vauxhall (13-7-4, 3rd) at Worksop (4-5-14, 20th)

Our old fiend Denton is back, but we take an early 2-0 lead thanks to great work on the wings from Pugh and Moynes. They pull one back late and make it really scary when our old pal Tom Denton has a clear cut chance, but he boots it wide of the net.

Final: Vauxhall 2, Worksop 1
Goals: Rutter, Mahon
Assists: Pugh, Moynes
Top Three: Rutter 7.1, Mahon 7.1, O'Callaghan 7.0
Worst: Bentham 6.5

January 20

Vauxhall (14-7-4, 2nd) vs. Barrow (10-4-10, 13th)

Another one of those frustrating games where we can't get anything going despite controlling possession. It's a scoreless tie until the 69th minute when our former striker Josh Mogg gets ahead on the break. We close him down, but he pauses and waits for a fellow striker to walk right into the box. It's an easy pass and shot. No matter what I do, we can't break their defense and suffer a shutout.

Final: Barrow 1, Vauxhall 0
Goals:
Assists:
Top Three: Woodhead 6.9, Kennedy 6.8, Pugh 6.7
Worst: O'Callaghan 6.3
Shots: 9-4
On Target: 2-2

January 24

Vauxhall (14-7-5, 2nd) vs. Bradford PA (3-6-17, 22nd)

Bradford are the worst team in the league and we get ahead of them early on another O'Callaghan strike. Then they have trouble guarding Moynes on the left wing and he comes in for two easy shots from the right side of the box. They actually manage to pull two back before the half, making me extremely nervous. But the defense tightens and the second half is scoreless.

Final: Vauxhall 3, Bradford PA 2
Goals: Moynes 2, O'Callaghan
Assists: O'Callaghan, Ellams
Top Three: Moynes 8.8, O'Callaghan 8.2, Bentham 6.9
Worst: Blakely 6.5
Shots: 13-9
On Target: 7-3

January 31

Vauxhall (15-7-5, 2nd) vs. Colwyn Bay (9-8-10, 14th)

Here's one we dominate like we're supposed to. O'Callaghan and Mahon goals give us a 2-0 first half lead, then a Colwyn Bay own goal puts it out of reach. Meanwhile, Stalybridge is in the middle of a total collapse and we pass them up when Barrow beats them 2-1.

Final: Vauxhall 3, Colwyn Bay 0
Assists: Lamb, Mahon
Top Three: Mahon 8.2, Harris 7.7, Kennedy 7.6
Worst: Moynes 6.7
Shots: 17-2
On Target: 5-1

*Stalybridge had a miserable month, especially towards the end. They only got 1 pt out of their last 4 matches, allowing us to overtake them even with that loss to Barrow. We are now in 1st!

*O'Callaghan now has 19 goals and 6 assists in 20 matches this season. His 7.68 rating is the highest in the league.

*Fearnehough is training and should be back soon!

*I extended the loan for Ben Jago one more time and also loaned striker Ross Lamb. Both are free loans.

*I finally got rid of Johnson's contract and O'Callaghan has been signed for next year.

*I finish 2nd in Coach of the Month voting.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:02 PM   #38
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Pos Inf Team
1st
Vauxhall
28 16 7 5 55 39 +16 55
2nd
Stockport
28 16 6 6 53 32 +21 54
3rd
Stalybridge
28 16 6 6 52 35 +17 54
4th
Lowestoft
28 14 6 8 41 28 +13 48
5th
Hyde
28 13 9 6 48 38 +10 48
6th
Gateshead
27 13 7 7 42 29 +13 46
7th
Boston Utd
28 12 9 7 48 33 +15 45
8th
Tamworth
28 13 5 10 48 39 +9 44
9th
North Ferriby
28 13 5 10 49 42 +7 44
10th
Barrow
28 13 4 11 42 44 -2 43
11th
Workington
27 11 7 9 50 44 +6 40
12th
Hednesford
27 11 5 11 39 33 +6 38
13th
Gainsborough
28 10 6 12 41 44 -3 36
14th
Colwyn Bay
28 9 8 11 45 46 -1 35
15th
Cambridge C
28 9 8 11 29 33 -4 35
16th
Harrogate
27 8 10 9 35 36 -1 34
17th
Skelmersdale
28 10 4 14 43 46 -3 34
18th
Altrincham
28 7 10 11 26 36 -10 31
19th
Redditch
28 8 3 17 36 64 -28 27
20th
Worksop
28 5 6 17 33 50 -17 21
21st
Bradford PA
28 4 6 18 37 67 -30 18
22nd
Solihull Moors
28 3 7 18 26 60 -34 16

Old 05-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #39
larrymcg421
Head Coach

February 3

Vauxhall (16-7-5, 1st) at Skelmersdale (10-4-14, 17th)

Skelmersdale are not very good, but they beat us at our place earlier in the season. And we continue to struggle against them for some random reason. They go up early and we fight the whole match to equalize. We finally do when O'Callaghan nails a brilliant long range shot in the 87th minute. We salvaged a draw, but Stockport pass us for 1st.

Final: Vauxhall 1, Skelmersdale 1

Top Three: O'Callaghan 8.3, Rutter 6.8, Mahon 6.7
Worst: Jago 6.1
Shots: 13-5

February 7

Vauxhall (16-8-5, 2nd) at Tamworth (14-5-10, 7th)

Um, what the fuck? Tamworth scored five goals in the first 34 minutes! We pull two back, but they add two more. The defense made every mistake possible. Just a disgusting display of football.

Final: Tamworth 7, Vauxhall 2

Goals: Lamb, Mahon
Assists: Lamb, O'Callaghan
Top Three: Lamb 7.5, Mahon 6.9, O'Callaghan 6.6
Worst: Harris 3.9!!!
Shots: 13-17
On Target: 6-10

February 14

Vauxhall (16-8-6, 3rd) vs. Redditch (8-3-18, 19th)

Mahon beats the defense and scores just 40 seconds into the match. Just 8 minutes later, they equalize with some smart passing inside the box. They go ahead after the half when the entire defense is watching the man with the ball, leaving a wide open Redditch winger to stand alone right in front of the goal and head the ball in. It looks like we might actually lose this game, but miraculously we are awarded a penalty in the 90th minute and Pugh delivers to salvage a draw.

Final: Vauxhall 2, Redditch 2

Goals: Mahon, Pugh
Assists: O'Callaghan 2
Top Three: O'Callaghan 7.2, Mahon 7.1, Pugh 6.8
Worst: Bentham 6.1
Shots: 17-4
On Target: 6-2

February 21

Vauxhall (16-9-6, 5th) vs. Boston Utd (13-11-7, 8th)

Danny Fearnehough is back and it couldn't have come at a better time. He actually opens scoring int he 15th minute when O'Callaghan floats an easy cross for him to head through. Kennedy follows that up with another header on a corner. Just before halftime, a Pugh corner is deflected in the box and Lamb eventually gets to it to put us up 3-0. We score a 4th before they pull one back.

Final: Vauxhall 4, Boston Utd 1

Goals: Fearnehough, Kennedy, Lamb, Mahon
Assists: O'Callaghan 2, Fearnehough
Top Three: Fearnehough 8.9, O'Callaghan 8.8, Mahon 7.8
Worst: Rutter 6.6
Shots: 13-3
On Target: 8-1

February 28

Vauxhall (17-9-6, 3rd) vs. Stalybridge (18-8-6, 2nd)

They start the scoring when our defenders mistime their jump on a corner into the box. We are down 1-0, but then we come out of halftime and score a a pair of quick strikes int he 51st and 53rd minutes to take the lead. 20 minutes later, O'Callaghan scores the backbreaking goal with a pretty play where he fakes out the keeper and gets him to slip, then puts the shot in behind him. We add another when Moynes is left alone on the left wing. A terrific two game performance from the guys.

Final: Vauxhall 4, Stalybridge 1

Goals: Pugh, Lamb, O'Callaghan, Moynes
Assists: Mahon 2, Jago, Pugh
Top Three: Pugh 8.5, Moynes 7.8, Mahon 7.8
Shots: 13-6

*What a bizarre month. We shit the bed when we are in the driver's seat, but with our backs against the wall, we put in two of our best performances of the season.

*Even with my overspending, we are only spending $209k per year on salaries, which is 21st out of 22 teams. Gateshead are #1 with $1.42 million, while Stalybridge and Stockport are in the $500k-700k range.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-10-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #40
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Pos Inf Team
1st
Stockport
33 19 7 7 65 38 +27 64
2nd
Vauxhall
33 18 9 6 68 51 +17 63
3rd
Stalybridge
33 18 8 7 61 41 +20 62
4th
Lowestoft
33 18 6 9 51 34 +17 60
5th
Gateshead
33 17 8 8 54 36 +18 59
6th
Tamworth
33 16 7 10 64 44 +20 55
7th
Hyde
33 15 10 8 54 44 +10 55
8th
Boston Utd
33 14 11 8 57 41 +16 53
9th
North Ferriby
33 16 5 12 56 45 +11 53
10th
Hednesford
33 14 6 13 56 45 +11 48
11th
Workington
33 13 9 11 60 54 +6 48
12th
Barrow
33 14 6 13 47 51 -4 48
13th
Cambridge C
33 11 9 13 35 40 -5 42
14th
Gainsborough
33 11 8 14 50 54 -4 41
15th
Harrogate
33 9 12 12 41 45 -4 39
16th
Skelmersdale
33 11 5 17 54 61 -7 38
17th
Altrincham
33 9 11 13 33 44 -11 38
18th
Colwyn Bay
33 9 9 15 49 61 -12 36
19th
Redditch
33 8 4 21 40 74 -34 28
20th
Bradford PA
33 6 7 20 44 77 -33 25
21st
Solihull Moors
33 5 9 19 35 69 -34 24
22nd
Worksop
33 5 8 20 36 61 -25 23

Old 05-11-2014, 03:05 AM   #41
larrymcg421
Head Coach

March 14

Vauxhall (18-9-6, 3rd) at Lowestoft (18-7-9, 4th)

Two full weeks off because our field sucks and we have to postpone a match. The team is a little rusty and gives up an easy goal in the 13th minute. We regroup and 20 minutes later, Mahon scores a stunning strike from 20 yards out! In the 2nd half, Moynes cuts inside from his wing spot and the defense loses him, allowing Mahon to hit him with a pass for the easy goal. Our defense holds and we get a nice comeback victory on the road.

Final: Vauxhall 2, Lowestoft 1
Goals: Mahon, Moynes
Assists: Lamb, Mahon
Top Three: Mahon 7.8, Moynes 7.4, Woodhead 6.8
Worst: Kennedy 6.1
Shots: 11-8
On Target: 58-42

March 17

Vauxhall (19-9-6, 2nd) vs. Stockport (19-7-8, 3rd)

One of the biggest matches of the season. Stockport use a defensive strategy that frustrates our offense and we head into half with a 0-0 tie. It continues to be uneventful until the 2nd half, when they score on a soft corner that Woodhead fails to catch. We can't break through in the final 20 minutes and suffer a critical defeat.

Final: Stockport 1, Vauxhall 0
Goals:
Assists:
Top Three: Moynes 6.8, Jago 6.7, Kennedy 6.7
Worst: Blakely 6.2
Shots: 9-5

March 21

Vauxhall (19-9-7, 3rd) at Hyde (16-11-8, 7th)

16 minutes in, O'Callaghan shows off his agility by faking out a defender and beating the keeper at the near post. It takes only 3 minutes for Hyde to equalize when our defense can't clear a corner. And it looks like we're gonna fall further behind in the title chase, until the 94th minute Woodhead sends a long goal kick that Lamb heads over to O'Callaghan. He splits two defenders and fires a great angled shot that the keeper has no chance to stop. A golden victory! O'Callaghan is a Vauxhall hero!

Final: Vauxhall 2, Hyde 1

Assists: Lamb 2
Top Three: O'Callaghan 8.8, Lamb 7.2, Kennedy 7.1
Worst: Harris 6.3

*Woodhead got hurt in training and will be out for a week. I call up Nathan Stewart from the U-21 squad and he will get his first start.

March 28

Vauxhall (20-9-7, 2nd) vs. Gainsborough (11-10-15, 15th)

Stewart fills in for Woodhead and has a terrific game in this defensive struggle. In the 58th minute we are awarded a penalty and Pugh puts it through, enough to give us the victory and keep our title hopes strong.

Final: Vauxhall 1, Gainsborough 0

Goals: Pugh
Assists: O'Callaghan
Top Three: Stewart 7.0, Clark 6.8, O'Callaghan 6.7
Worst: Fearnehough 6.5
Shots: 11-7

*Should be en exciting final month. We are 2 pts back with 5 games to play.

*Stockport followed up their victory over us with a draw and a loss, dropping them 6 pts back of Stalybridge.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-11-2014 at 03:09 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:06 AM   #42
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Pos Inf Team
1st
Stalybridge
37 22 8 7 67 42 +25 74
2nd
Vauxhall
37 21 9 7 73 54 +19 72
3rd
Stockport
37 20 8 9 67 42 +25 68
4th
Gateshead
37 19 10 8 63 41 +22 67
5th
Lowestoft
37 19 7 11 56 39 +17 64
6th
Tamworth
37 18 9 10 71 46 +25 63
7th
North Ferriby
37 19 5 13 64 52 +12 62
8th
Hyde
37 16 11 10 59 51 +8 59
9th
Boston Utd
37 15 12 10 62 48 +14 57
10th
Hednesford
37 16 6 15 61 53 +8 54
11th
Barrow
37 15 8 14 54 59 -5 53
12th
Workington
37 13 11 13 67 63 +4 50
13th
Harrogate
37 11 14 12 47 48 -1 47
14th
Altrincham
37 11 12 14 41 49 -8 45
15th
Gainsborough
37 11 10 16 55 61 -6 43
16th
Colwyn Bay
37 11 10 16 60 68 -8 43
17th
Cambridge C
37 11 10 16 36 46 -10 43
18th
Skelmersdale
37 12 5 20 56 65 -9 41
19th
Redditch
37 9 5 23 43 79 -36 32
20th
Worksop
37 7 10 20 46 66 -20 31
21st
Bradford PA
37 7 7 23 50 88 -38 28
22nd
Solihull Moors
37 6 9 22 39 77 -38 27

Old 05-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #43
larrymcg421
Head Coach

April 4

Vauxhall (21-9-7, 2nd) vs. Hednesford (16-6-15, 10th)

Mahon scores right before the half to give us a 1-0 lead. Meanwhile, Stalybridge are having a meltdown at home and we look good to overtake them. That is until Hednesford scores two goals in the span of 4 minutes to take a 2-1 lead. We go all out with a desperate attack, but can't get anything through and piss away a chance to take the lead.

Final: Hednesford 2, Vauxhall 1
Goal: Mahon
Assist: Lamb
Top Three: Lamb 7.4, Mahon 7.2, Kennedy 6.8
Worst: O'Callaghan 5.8
Shots: 12-5
On Target: 8-2

Other important matches:

Gainsborough 5, Stalybridge 3
Stockport 1, Lowestoft 1
Gateshead 3, Skelmersdale 1

So with 4 games to go:

1. Stalybridge - 74
2. Vauxhall - 72
3. Gateshead - 70
4. Stockport - 69

April 6

Vauxhall (21-9-8, 2nd) at North Ferriby (20-5-13, 6th)

We take the lead on a play where Ellams beats the oncoming keeper to the ball and puts it away. Only 3 minutes later, they equalize when Harris fails to intercept a long pass. They score on a free kick in the 50th minute and we've pissed away another chance to take the league lead. O'Callaghan equalizes just 5 minutes later, but we needed more than a draw here.

Final: Vauxhall 2, North Ferriby 2
Goals: Ellams, O'Callaghan
Assists: Jago
Top Three: Ellams 7.2, O'Callaghan 7.1, Jago 7.0
Shots: 12-12
On Target: 4-7

Other important matches:

Stockport 0, Gainsborough 0
Hyde 2, Stalybridge 0

1. Stalybridge - 74
2. Vauxhall - 73
3. Gateshead - 70 (1 less game)
4. Stockport - 70

April 11

Vauxhall (21-10-8, 2nd) vs. Workington (13-11-14, 13th)

An early Ross Lamb goal gets us off to a good start, but it isn't until the 2nd half that we really take charge. O'Callaghan and Mahon score on headers and O'Callaghan adds another goal as we run away with it 4-0. Also, we watch as Hednesford go up early on Stalybridge and hold on for the draw, meaning we take the lead!

Final: Vauxhall 4, Workington 0
Goals: O'Callaghan 2, Lamb, Mahon
Assists: Moynes, Fearnehough, Lamb

Other important matches:

Hyde 3, Stockport 0
Tamworth 2, Gateshead 1
Stalybridge 1, Hednesford 1

Gateshead 2, Colwyn Bay 1

With 2 matches to go....

1. Vauxhall - 76
2. Stalybridge - 75
3. Gateshead - 73
4. Stockport - 70

April 18

Vauxhall (22-10-8, 1st) vs. Solihull Moors (7-10-23, 22nd)

A win for us, a Stalybridge loss, and anything other than a win for Gateshead clinches the title for us. I'm obsessively watching the live league table and score reports.

7th minute: Stalybridge down 1-0
23rd minute: Vauxhall up 1-0 (Solihull own goal)
23rd minute: Stalybridge even 1-1
28th minute: Gateshead up 1-0

As of this point, we have 79 pts, while Stalybridge and Gateshead (who we face next) have 76 pts. Still a 3 team race.

57th minute: Gateshead even 1-1
74th minute: Stalybridge down 1-2
85th minute: Vauxhall up 2-0 (Mahon scores)
93rd minute: Vauxhall up 2-1 (Players caught celebrating early?)

We are champions!!!!

Final: Vauxhall 2, Solihull Moors 1
Goals: Mahon
Assists: Mahon, Lamb
Top Three: Mahon 7.8, Lamb 7.5, Moynes 7.2
Worst: Harris 6.6
Shots: 10-3
On Target: 5-2
Possession: 66-34

April 25

Vauxhall (23-10-8, 1st) at Gateshead (21-11-9, 3rd)

Gateshead blitz us for two early goals as our guys are playing a little too relaxed in this meaningless match. However, they get some inspiration at halftime. O'Callaghan and Lamb score on headers to equalize, and then in the 87th minute, O'Callaghan comes charging in to grab a deflection and he puts it through for the late game winner. What a way to finish the season!

Final: Vauxhall 3, Gateshead 2

Goals: O'Callaghan 2, Lamb
Assists: Pugh, Lamb
Top Three: O'Callaghan 8.8, Lamb 7.9, Pugh 6.8
On Target: 8-4

*After last season's heartbreak, this was awesome to watch.

*O'Callaghan wins Player of the Year and I win Coach of the Year.

*Man, what a collapse by Stalybridge. They came into April with a 2pt lead and proceeded to only manage 1 pt in their last 5 matches.

*Stalybridge and Stockport won in the playoff semifinals, then Stockport beat Stalybridge 3-1 and will join us in the Skrill Premier next season.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #44
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Pos Inf Team
1st C Vauxhall
42 24 10 8 85 61 +24 82
2nd
Stalybridge
42 22 9 11 72 53 +19 75
3rd P Stockport
42 21 11 10 72 48 +24 74
4th
Gateshead
42 21 11 10 72 49 +23 74
5th
Tamworth
42 21 10 11 83 52 +31 73
6th
North Ferriby
42 21 8 13 72 58 +14 71
7th
Lowestoft
42 20 10 12 60 45 +15 70
8th
Hyde
42 18 12 12 66 57 +9 66
9th
Barrow
42 19 8 15 64 65 -1 65
10th
Boston Utd
42 16 16 10 69 52 +17 64
11th
Hednesford
42 17 9 16 64 57 +7 60
12th
Harrogate
42 14 15 13 57 56 +1 57
13th
Workington
42 14 13 15 74 74 0 55
14th
Gainsborough
42 14 12 16 66 65 +1 54
15th
Altrincham
42 13 12 17 46 56 -10 51
16th
Colwyn Bay
42 12 13 17 68 76 -8 49
17th
Cambridge C
42 11 14 17 42 53 -11 47
18th
Skelmersdale
42 13 6 23 61 77 -16 45
19th
Redditch
42 11 6 25 51 85 -34 39
20th R Worksop
42 8 11 23 51 76 -25 35
21st R Bradford PA
42 8 8 26 56 97 -41 32
22nd R Solihull Moors
42 7 10 25 45 84 -39 31

Old 05-11-2014, 10:56 PM   #45
larrymcg421
Head Coach

O'Callaghan's miracle goal against Hyde in the 94th minute (definitely an incredibly play by Lamb as well)...

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-11-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #46
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Pkd Inf Name Apps Gls Ast PoM Pas R Tck DrbPG Sh T Yel Red Av Rat
- Vac Kim O'Callaghan 34 (2) 28 12 9 75% 1.19 0.93 42% 1 0 7.60
- Vac Ross Lamb 12 (2) 5 9 0 74% 0.72 1.51 55% 0 0 7.27
- Vac Craig Mahon 32 (6) 19 12 5 75% 1.28 0.98 48% 2 0 7.12
- Vac Danny Fearnehough 15 (2) 2 4 4 80% 2.37 1.15 42% 3 0 7.09
- Vac William Stewart 2 0 0 1 82% - - - 0 0 6.90
- Vac Lewis Moynes 27 (2) 4 3 1 80% 1.72 1.53 35% 2 0 6.86
- Vac Tom Rutter 30 (1) 6 7 1 77% 1.35 1.46 37% 4 0 6.83
- Vac Ben Woodhead 40 0 1 0 59% - - - 0 0 6.80
- Vac Lee Pugh 38 (1) 5 10 1 75% 1.61 1.20 68% 4 1 6.79
- Vac Dominic Kennedy 39 2 1 1 74% 2.84 0.36 29% 2 0 6.75
- Vac George Conway 14 (8) 1 4 0 81% 1.18 1.05 32% 0 0 6.74
- Vac Ben Jago 13 (6) 2 2 0 76% 1.67 0.65 50% 0 0 6.74
- Vac Antony Bolland 3 (3) 0 0 0 81% 3.16 - 0% 1 0 6.73
- Vac Lloyd Ellams 18 (4) 4 3 1 77% 1.37 1.08 19% 2 0 6.69
- Vac Craig Bentham 37 (1) 1 1 1 82% 3.24 0.35 50% 10 0 6.65
- Vac Spencer Harris 40 1 0 1 73% 2.50 0.33 33% 3 0 6.63
- Vac Luke Blakely 36 (3) 0 1 0 76% 2.75 0.27 0% 5 0 6.56
- Vac Gary Appleton - - - - - - - - - - -
- Vac Nathan Phillips - - - - - - - - - - -
- Vac Gary Martindale - - - - - - - - - - -

Old 05-12-2014, 11:40 PM   #47
larrymcg421
Head Coach

*Returnees this season include Fearnehough, Rutter, O'Callaghan, Harris, Blakely, Kennedy, ellams, and Bolland.

*Say goodbye to key players from previous seasons like Ben Woodhead, Craig Mahon, and Craig Bentham.

New signees include:

GK Paul Walker ($350 p/w)
- Love his Command of Area (12), Communication (10), Positioning (12), Reflexes (11), and Rushing Out (13). The latter was especially a major weakness for Woodhead.

CD Joe Tait ($400 p/w)
- By far the best player on the team in Marking (12) and Tackling (12) and can start a break from the back line. I'm mostly worried about his Positioning (6).

LW Jack Clark ($400 p/w)
- Great team player with Leadership (15), Teamwork (13), and Work Rate (12). No major weak spots.

ST Jaime Rainford ($350 p/w)
- Looks like a good speed striker with a great ability for finding space and handling the ball. Will not be creating goals with his atrocious passing.

ST Adam Hubbard ($180/app)
- Another fast striker with amazing Off the Ball (13) and Finishing (14). Also has weak passing.

CD John Beales ($45 p/w loan)
- Mainly to be a backup defender. Pretty strong and tall.

CM Kane Willis ($20 p/w loan)
- A decent player without any huge holes in his game and he can play 4 different spots to help us with depth.

*We are actually under budget, even with the lower expectations (avoid relegation) selected. If we add anyone else, it will be via the loan market.

*Fearnehough gets hurt in preseason and will be out for 3 weeks. His injury issues are a concern and I have a feeling Rutter will be playing lots of CM instead of ST this season.

*We are given 50:1 odds for promotion. The media predicts us to finish 24th.

Our opening day starting lineup:

ST O'Callaghan, ST Rainford, ST Hubbard
LW Clark, MC Rutter, DM Blakely, RW Ellams
CD Tait, CD Harris, CD Kennedy
GK Walker

Old 05-13-2014, 12:26 AM   #48
korme
Go Reds

Just wanted to post and share that I am following along
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:17 AM   #49
larrymcg421
Head Coach

August 8

Vauxhall (0-0-0) vs. Aldershot (0-0-0)

Walker makes a great early save. Then on the counter, it's the O'Callaghan show all over again! They equalize on a header just before halftime. Right after the half, O'Callaghan puts as ahead and we look good for the victory until the 75th minute when the dreaded corner does us in again. A draw is a good start for us in the higher division, but I wish we could've closed the deal.

Final: Vauxhall 2, Aldershot 2
Assists: Hubbard, Rainford
Top Three: O'Callaghan 8.8, Hubbard 7.1, Walker 6.8
Worst: Harris 6.4

August 11

Vauxhall (0-1-0, 12th) at Salisbury (1-0-0, 6th)

Gonna be a rough game as our guys aren't liking the short rest this early in the season. In the 31st minute, we get beat on a counter. Walker makes several great stops to keep us in it. We have a few chances in the 2nd half, but the shots go wide. The guys fought hard here, but we were just too tired.

Final: Sailisbury 1, Vauxhall 0
Goals:
Assists:
Top Three: Kennedy 6.7, Tait 6.7, Hubbard 6.6
Worst: Clark 6.4

August 15

Vauxhall (0-1-1, 16th) vs. Lincoln (2-0-0, 2nd)

We spend almost the entire first half on their side of the field, but fail to convert many easy chances. Ellams in particular is horrible. They score on a soft header that caught Walker out of position. In the 2nd half, Rutter goes down with injury and we continue to miss easy chances. I can't remember the last time we were shut out in back to back matches. Rutter will be out for 2 months.

Final: Lincoln 2, Vauxhall 0
Goals:
Assists:
Top Three: O'Callaghan 6.9, Bolland 6.8, Rutter 6.7
Worst: Rainford 5.9

We bring in MC Michael Pino and RW Alex Hewitt. Pino is mostly for depth, but Hewitt looks to be a solid starter for us.

August 18

Vauxhall (0-1-2, 21st) vs. Eastbourne Boro (1-0-2, 15th)

I wish I could fine a defensive player for sending a cross field pass in front of the penalty area. We battle hard for 30 minutes and go down because of that stupid mistake. They add insurance on a header in the 50th minute and we never really threaten. Three straight games without a goal now and Rainford will now be out for a month.

Final: Eastborn Boro 2, Vauxhall 0
Goals:
Assists:
Top Three: Walker 6.7, Tait 6.7, Blakely 6.6

August 22

Vauxhall (0-1-3, 23rd) at Ebbsfleet (1-1-2, 14th)

18 minutes in and we are down 4-0. Seriously, we make every mistake possible, can't complete a single pass, and they convert each opportunity. Make the nightmare end! We actually pull one back before the half, but it was meaningless.

Final: Ebbsfleet 5, Vauxhall 1
Goal: Kennedy
Assist: O'Callaghan
Top Three: O'Callaghan 7.5, Pino 6.8, Kennedy 6.7
Worst: Ellams 5.2

I loan Elliot Peake, a striker, to help deal with the Rutter and Rainford injuries.

August 29

Vauxhall (0-1-4, 23rd) at Newport Co (1-1-3, 18th)

Our passing is horrendous in the first half and gives them several opportunities. We're lucky they only convert one of them. Even O'Callaghan is having a terrible day as he misses two clear cut chances. He finally scores in the 2nd half with a quick strike that their keeper wasn't ready for. We hold on desperately for the draw and try to take some positives into next month.

Final: Vauxhall 1, Newport Co 1
Assist: Ellams
Top Three: O'Callaghan 7.2, Ellams 6.8, Hubbard 6.7
Worst: Blakely 6.0

*The opening match gave me hopes, but we've played like crap. We just look totally outmatched in every way.

*Injuries have not helped. Fearnehough just came back, Rainford and Rutter are both still out.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:22 AM   #50
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Pos Inf Team
1st
Salisbury