Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Come play fast-sim OOTP.

SLOP is a fast-sim experience hosted here at FOFC comprised of sixteen teams. We're now in our 31st season.

OOTP's first league with a draft lottery: Miss the playoffs? Don't despair. You might get a chance at the #1 pick.

A draft that's powered by an in-house feeder league: STREP is our feeder league. You can watch kids from the time they're 13-years old, draft them and keep them until they retire if you want.

Restricted Free Agents: Does your team have the next baseball version of Linsanity? Well you can RFA one guy per year and match any offer he receives on the open market. Keep those fans happy!

3 playoff teams per league: SLOP is a 16 20-team league with two leagues (one DH, one no-DH) of eight teams. The top 3 teams in each league make the playoffs, with 2 v. 3 duking it out in a best-of-five game Elimination Series to determine who makes the LCS (best-of-seven) with the winners meeting the Sunset Series (best-of-nine) annually.

DIVISIONAL PLAY When we added 20 teams, we went to a divisional schedule that's balanced. Now we have two leagues of two divisions each with five teams. Gives teams a shot at getting to the playoffs by just beating 4 other clubs. We still have a 3rd spot for the wild card team in each league too.

EXPANDED PLAYOFFS? SOMETIMES.. One of the side effects of divisional play, is sometimes one division has a weak champ and qualifies for the post-season despite not being one of the best teams in their league. We fixed that problem in SLOP by expanded the playoffs ONLY in the years where a division champ finishes 4th or 5th best in their league. When it happens, we allow 5 teams per league. Makes it more fun for all, but top seeds still get a bye all the way to the LCS.

Cap space trading: We continue to turn unused cap space into an asset through the ability to deal cap space for the current season. It helps those teams at mid-season thinking they'll go for it, as well as others who want to make a run at the start of a year.

VARIABLE SALARY CAP: We instituted a flex cap after years of a soft $100m cap. Now the cap provides incentives that level the playing field.

PARITY: We've had different champions in eight of the last nine seasons, but it's still possible to build a quality team over that time. Lots of our clubs have many years of playoff success, but with the right moves you make things happen.

ACTIVE TRADING ENVIRONMENT: Our model provides ample opportunities to make deals and many of our owners participate in this robust market.

If you're interested, send me a PM. We have OOTP veterans and newbs. I am a huge proponent of keeping things light and easy, so it's not like a 2nd job.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-31-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Subby
lolzcat

This league sounds really interesting!

I am interested in joining!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Subby's already in the league. Heh.

Also, we do a season every other week. So one week we sim a season (draft, etc.), the other week it's the off-season. People seem to like the pace and we've still manage to get through about two generations in a calendar year. Not bad. It's also not a big deal if you miss a season or two. Things are pretty easy to manage in any case.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-03-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Hope one of those two spots isn't mine. I'm still trying to get motivated. I'm in.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I want someone take one club so bad this season that we're giving them a cap exception to do it. PM me or post.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Which version of OOTP are you using?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Which version of OOTP are you using?

Old 10-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

K - count me in. I am a long time member of our forum FOOL leagues. Which team am I taking over? I'll look over the site/rules at some point tonight.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

We've got one spot, the Portland Thorns are heading into their 4th year of existence. Their current owner has to step away (But continues to manage them until we find someone new to run them) and so, we'd like to find someone to take over the club.

Yes, you can move them. They play in the Nationwide League, Eastern Division (no-DH) and I'll provide a financial bonus for a new owner to take on this club for a few seasons.

Send me a PM, we'd be happy to have you.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-25-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

For the first 30 seasons of SLOP, we did a mid-season break. So we'd sim the season in two halves.

Starting this year, we're moving to 3 sims. So we'll sim the season in thirds. All still within the same week, but it should provide owners a chance to tinker more, open up the trade market and other benefits. So even more incentive to play fast-sim, not quite as speedy as before. (but still pretty quick.)
Old 01-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's been a nice break from FOFMP, and I've thought and hesitated many times before about OOTPMP. I'd love to try but the time commitment might be rough. YDC can you give an idea of the schedule and how much time might be spent getting things ready to go? I have to head out right now, but I'll check back later tonight.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

So Ed Saunders was taken out of 3 years of retirement just to reach 800 HRs?
Old 01-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
So Ed Saunders was taken out of 3 years of retirement just to reach 800 HRs?

Hahaha..yup.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
It's been a nice break from FOFMP, and I've thought and hesitated many times before about OOTPMP. I'd love to try but the time commitment might be rough. YDC can you give an idea of the schedule and how much time might be spent getting things ready to go? I have to head out right now, but I'll check back later tonight.

It's extremely low key. If there's a week where you can export all of the time, you do it. But basically it's possible to export just once a week (at the start of the season and at the start of FA) and still keep up with the league entirely.

I'll post schedule later.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The normal schedule is:

SEASON WEEK
Mon: 1st third
Tue: 2nd third
Wed: off-day
Thur: 3rd third
Friday: Post-season

This is new, so it might change somewhat. But there's usually an off-day in there, though with the post-season, we usually sim as soon as all post-season exports are in.

For the non-season weeks:

MON: Sim to the start of FA/Draft
TUE: FA1 (sim to pre-season)
WED: FA2 (sim to spring training)
THUR: off-day
FRI: Spring Training sim.

Realistically you can make any big signings during the 1st FA stage (or send them ahead of time, if you won't be able to export in time...) but players usually hang between rounds and in this league, it's possible to make trades and keep your own players enough usually to where not everyone feels the need to do FA year after year.

Minor league free agents become FAs after 5 years, but major leaguers have 6 years of service at min. salary and then 2 years at arbitration rates before becoming FAs in their 9th season of ML service. So you can keep your team together for a while depending on how you build.

And realistically, the mid-season break is for tinkerers who make deals and such. It's not a necessity especially if you've got a team that's intact and don't intend to make any big moves. The league ebbs and flows with schedules and people seem to manage it well even despite having busy jobs, so if you're even remotely intrigued it's worth a try because you'll probably find it's more manageable. Having no injuries makes it a lot easier too.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-25-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:45 AM   #16
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

We're full again. But there's no real waiting list, we just expand when there's two owners who want in. (Hence the reason we're at 20 teams now...)
Old 02-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #17
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

We've got one spot open in SLOP. They're built to be competitive, have the #2 farm system in the league and if you spend at least 3 seasons, you'll get a new owner bonus cap exception.

Come try fast-sim on for size.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #18
MrBug708
Head Coach

Interested. One season a week?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

A season every other week. Season one week, off-season the following week.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Soo...Winnemucca needs an owner. Despite now heading to being on their 4th owner (I actually started with this team as an expansion club), they've made the post-season 19 times in 24 seasons, they've won more titles than any other club in SLOP history (5) and are the most successful team in the league's history.

You are invited to continue them on their winning path. Hit me up via PM if you're interested.