Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Ping: Musicians (Esp. bassists)

I'm in a band. We play '60s rock - Beatles, Kinks, Stones, Monkees, Tommy James etc. I used to be the keyboard player, but we needed a bassist so I taught myself to play. I'm no great shakes yet, but I'm good enough to be proud of what I can do onstage.

I'm currently rocking on an Ibanez SoundGear (4 string), and its decent enough to get the job done, but I'm looking to upgrade. Our lead guitar player is unable to play at a volume of less than 'deafening,' so I'm looking for an active bass with a lot of punch. I'm also looking to get a 5 string. Outside of that, I have no clue. Here are some of the basses I'm considering (I'm in the $1,500-$2,000 range):

Lakland Skyline 55-01
Lakland Skyline 55-02
MusicMan Stingray 5
MusicMan Bongo 5
Rickenbacker 4003
Fender Jazz

(I'm also willing to step up outside this price range a bit if the bass is simply incredible. Probably not enough for a Fodera or Alembic though)

Are there any others you think I should consider, or do you have any advice on these?

Obviously this choice is supremely personal - I'm not trying to get you to tell me what to buy, necessarily. More looking for opinions to help shape mine, maybe some pros and cons.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 03-15-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
King of New York
High School Varsity

I used to play a Rickenbacker 4003, and I loved it. It was durable, and it had a distinctive sound that would be perfect for the the sort of music you play--a little twangy, a little growly, but in a good way. And it had plenty of punch--the Rickenbacker could shake the fillings out of people's cavities without getting too muddy.

I've also played a Music Man Stingray, which I liked as well, although the model I played (cannot remember which one) had a really fast action that took some getting used to--it struck me as the sort of instrument that, once you got the feel for it, lent itself to virtuoso playing. Not being a virtuoso, I stuck with the Rickenbacker.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
JediKooter
Coordinator

The Rickenbacker is pretty good. I also love the Fender Jazz bass, has great mids in my opinion. Their P Basses are pretty damn good too.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Sorry, had to.

Carry on...
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Thanks Jedi, knew I was forgetting one on my list. The Jazz is up there as a potential as well.

I played a Stingray for a little while and enjoyed it, but I was a complete scrub noob at bass back then, so I'm not sold on it as what I must get back again.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
britrock88
Pro Starter

Among the basses mentioned in this thread, my bass-playing friends would probably say the best things about the Stingray and the Jazz, with the P Bass getting honorable mention.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Thanks Jedi, knew I was forgetting one on my list. The Jazz is up there as a potential as well.

I played a Stingray for a little while and enjoyed it, but I was a complete scrub noob at bass back then, so I'm not sold on it as what I must get back again.

You're welcome. I played a Jazz for a while and loved it. That will be my next purchase when I'm ready to buy.

Never played a Stingray before, though I do like how they look.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I'm a guitarist, but I do have a bass. I have the Ibanez SR500 which does the job I need it to. I mainly use it for recording.

In your price range I can go by my buddy who plays bass mainly. He has one Jazz and one P bass with both active preamps. I'm sure he wouldn't pass up a nice Stingray though.

Good luck and post a picture one you get it!
Old 03-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Those are all very good choices, going to depend a lot on your preference - especially 4 or 5? Fat or skinny neck?

You cannot go wrong with a Fender Jazz (not a huge Fender shill here, it's just the industry standard).

I love the Ric tone, but do NOT buy one without playing it. The necks are very much love/hate. I was totally enamored with them - until I got one in my hands. It was fun, but just wasn't 'me' overall. Same with the Jazz to a lesser degree; however if you're used to an Ibby, you'll probably prefer the skinnier necks of the Jazz and Ric.

With the stuff you're playing, I'd probably recommend sticking with the Ric or Jazz to fit the 'vibe'.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Dola... don't be afraid of buying used, especially in the higher end models. American Fenders can be inconsistent, Rics can take forever to get new. Talkbass.com is a great site for buying/selling (and everything else).
Old 03-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I've never actually played a 5 (I plan on doing so before purchasing, obviously), but we're starting to pull in some songs that go below the low E...and I really don't feel like re-tuning my guitar mid-show. I also like the flexibility the B string offers.

Whether or not I like to PLAY it (or CAN play it, For that matter), is another matter entirely. Going to swing by my local music shop (Guitar Showcase in Campbell) after work today to futz around with some of their basses. Unfortunately I haven't often seen anything in there outside of Fender and Ibanez.

Speaking of Ibanez - that's all I've ever played. I like my Ibanez, but I want a higher quality bass. In my research, I've NEVER stumbled across a high end Ibanez. Do they simply not make a high end bass? Or do the people of the Internet just not like the quality of the upper end Ibanez?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I actually had the opportunity to buy a Music Man Bongo 5 string for $800 from a buddy's friend. The guitar had a bunch of minor body damage, and he had literally painted the spots black (it was a black bass). Painted them poorly, I might add. I got cold feet because of the damage, and by the time I convinced myself that I could just refinish it, he sold it to someone else. C'est la vie.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Isn't the Grooveline supposed to be Ibanez's upper end stuff? Check out some of those.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
corbes
College Benchwarmer

60s rock sounds to me like a Precision all the way. http://assets.rollingstone.com/asset...0x600/main.jpg Otherwise only other thought I'd have would be to see if there's a Modulus kicking around in your price range.

Last edited by corbes : 03-15-2013 at 11:04 PM.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #15
Groundhog
Coordinator

My friend's dad had been playing his same Fender bass since he bought it in the late 60s. Last year he borrowed my Rickenbacker 4003 for one gig. One week later, he had bought his own.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:07 AM   #16
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Speaking of Ibanez - that's all I've ever played. I like my Ibanez, but I want a higher quality bass. In my research, I've NEVER stumbled across a high end Ibanez. Do they simply not make a high end bass? Or do the people of the Internet just not like the quality of the upper end Ibanez?

They do have some high-enders, like the Gary Willis model and even the Soundgears will get up there. But at that point (with Ibanez), you're paying for the exotic woods more than anything. Ibanez is very good at what they do, but it tends to work best with, or appeal to, two types - jazz soloists and metalheads. It's a very modern tone with a fast neck, usually, and also modern look. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Ibanez in general, and you will get a good instrument for the money. If it's what you want, go for it.

That being said, they do not fit in the vintage look/sound very well.