Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-09-2024, 07:15 PM   #351
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
My vote is Duke & Indiana stays.

Let's just go ahead and make it 7 blue bloods.

The Athletic has Duke in and Indiana out...

College basketball program tiers: From blue bloods like Duke (and UConn!) on down - The Athletic
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 07:16 PM   #352
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Watched Cal's goodbye to BBN. Pretty solid, and I think he's right - it's time for a new voice.

It appears they've set their sights on Scott Drew. Not only hasn't he denied it, sources say he's in talks. It would be a double win for UK if they not only got a national championship-winning coach but one who publicly turned down Louisville 2 weeks ago.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 09:41 PM   #353
Ksyrup

The local coverage of Cal leaving is expected, of course, but the coverage today of his arrival and introduction at Arkansas is weird. It's like breaking up with a GF you thought you'd marry but know you're probably better off without, yet stalking her social media to see who she's with.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-11-2024, 08:38 PM   #354
Ksyrup

Sounds like Mark Pope is gonna be the choice.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:43 PM   #355
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
an interesting choice. he did do a great job bringing BYU into the Big 12.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 10:22 PM   #356
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I figure Pope will be what gets Barnhart fired.

Weakest resume of any UK hire in 50 years, that'll turn into a short leash pretty quickly I imagine.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:03 AM   #357
Ksyrup

Yeah, reaction hasn't been good. In his defense, the fanbase still thinks they should be able to hire whoever they want and don't understand how much NIL, the portal and rising salaries even at lesser schools level the playing field somewhat. Even Hurley said it - at some point, the extra few million dollars is not a motivating factor.

Maybe Donovan was a possibility? But you're banking on the Bulls getting knocked out of the playoffs middle of next week AND you're putting all your chips in on a guy who's been out of college so long, the portal and NIL were nothing more than a 1950s article on what life in 2000 would be like. Could (or would he want to) make that adjustment?

On another note, this tweet was making the rounds among UK fans last night. I wonder if this guy has lottery numbers for tonight. From January 2023:

Old 04-15-2024, 06:00 AM   #358
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice of him.

Quote:
Houston Rockets center Boban Marjanovic purposely missed a free throw while his team was up big to send Los Angeles Clippers fans home with free chicken in the last game of the regular season.

With the Rockets up 105-97, Marjanovic stepped up to the line and missed his first free throw.

That got Clippers fans on their feet - as a second missed free throw would mean they would win free chicken as part of a promotion.

https://x.com/barstoolsports/status/1779692531791409238
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 06:34 AM   #359
Ksyrup

UK fans seemed to rally around Mark Pope with a pretty crazy introductory presser in front of thousands of fans. They pulled out all the stops with older players and several members of the 1996 championship team there, including Jeff Sheppard.

I feel pretty bad for Reed Sheppard from the standpoint that whether or not he goes pro has very little to do with who's coaching UK and more to do with his projected spot. But given that his dad was Pope's roommate, if he goes pro, you know people are going to treat that as a referendum on whether Pope can handle the job.

He said all the right things yesterday, although I thought the whole thing leaned a little too much into nostalgia (coming from someone who moved to the Lexington area less than 20 years ago). I told my wife - I hope that wasn't the highlight of his tenure at UK.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:37 AM   #360
Ksyrup

Zion playing out of his mind for 45 minutes, scoring 40 points, and leaving the game tied against the Lakers with 3 minutes to go to an apparently injury no one saw or could tell happened (apparently a hamstring?), and then watching his team lose, seems like a pretty accurate summation of the Zion Williamson Experience.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-17-2024 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:24 AM   #361
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
oof. Jontay Porter banned for life from the NBA for betting on games. Apparently he hid an injury from the team, but told a bettor who laid a big parlay on him underperforming the next game.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 04-17-2024 at 11:25 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 11:29 AM   #362
miami_fan
Coordinator

So have I. Well I was not banned for betting on games.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 04:23 PM   #363
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Klay thompson put up 0 points in an elimination game…that’s wild.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 04:24 PM   #364
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought Mark Pope was the former coach of Yale for the past few days. I guess I forgot what the BYU logo was.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:50 PM   #365
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Probably another all time bad take, but if this Chicago team gets to the playoffs they could give the Celtics trouble.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:48 PM   #366
RainMaker
General Manager

The Celtics have destroyed them in each game this season and the Bulls will likely be without Caruso. Bulls would be lucky to get a gentleman's sweep out of it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:51 AM   #367
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh if Caruso is out, there’s no hope. Bulls might not even beat the gimpy Heat without him.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:34 PM   #368
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Holy shit that Nuggets game!
Old 04-23-2024, 04:59 PM   #369
Edward64
Head Coach

No idea how good Knox is but always happy to get a 5-star prospect!

Quote:
John Calipari has flipped a 5-star prospect from his former team.

Karter Knox committed to Kentucky back on March 9. With Calipari leaving Kentucky to become the head coach at Arkansas, Knox has decided to play college ball in Fayetteville.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 06:05 PM   #370
Ksyrup

Younger brother of Kevin Knox, former Cat of course.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:18 PM   #371
Ksyrup

So... the Pacers/Bucks playoff game on NBA TV is blocked in my area? WTF?
Old 04-23-2024, 08:30 PM   #372
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So... the Pacers/Bucks playoff game on NBA TV is blocked in my area? WTF?

Blackout restrictions apply to live game games on NBA TV for your local NBA team. That means Bucks games on NBA TV aren't available live in Milwaukee.

Blacked-out games will be available for viewing after the game has ended. You can find them in the NBA League Pass Archives.

Basically it's a way to force local market viewers to watch the local/regional provider (in this case Bally)
Old 04-23-2024, 09:20 PM   #373
Ksyrup

I understand blackout restrictions. Applying them to postseason is ridiculous. I don't even have a local provider to watch even if I wanted to. Of course, I suppose they could be showing games on Peacock or Paramount+, so it achieves the same purpose of making sure as few people watch as possible!
Old 04-23-2024, 10:09 PM   #374
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I understand blackout restrictions. Applying them to postseason is ridiculous. I don't even have a local provider to watch even if I wanted to. Of course, I suppose they could be showing games on Peacock or Paramount+, so it achieves the same purpose of making sure as few people watch as possible!

The local coverage AND the national partners have to have some protection against a league entity in order to (somewhat) provide value for the absurd prices they pay the league.

NONE of the rules have anything to do with fans (of any team) whatsoever, never have. These aren't sports leagues, they're TV content providers.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:18 PM   #375
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Holy shit that Nuggets game!

I thought it was real smart to not call a timeout. Lakers looked so gassed at the end and giving them a breather would have only helped them. Lakers weren't ready for the elevation.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:46 AM   #376
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The local coverage AND the national partners have to have some protection against a league entity in order to (somewhat) provide value for the absurd prices they pay the league.

NONE of the rules have anything to do with fans (of any team) whatsoever, never have. These aren't sports leagues, they're TV content providers.

I get all of that. It just seems that once you get into the postseason, local rules sgould no longer matter when it's a nationally televised playoff game. The local blackout rules are pretty ridiculous anyway. I live hours from 3 different teams (Memphis, Cleveland and Indy) that I'm "blacked out" for - even though I have a streaming service from which I can't even purchase the local channel to watch if I wanted.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:48 AM   #377
Ksyrup

Quote:

I get all of that. It just seems that once you get into the postseason, local rules should no longer matter when it's a nationally televised playoff game. The local blackout rules are pretty ridiculous anyway. I live hours from 3 different teams (Memphis, Cleveland and Indy) that I'm "blacked out" for - even though I have a streaming service from which I can't even purchase the local channel to watch if I wanted. So who's rights are being protected in that scenario?
Old 04-24-2024, 07:48 AM   #378
Ksyrup

Quote:

I get all of that. It just seems that once you get into the postseason, local rules should no longer matter when it's a nationally televised playoff game. The local blackout rules are pretty ridiculous anyway. I live hours from 3 different teams (Memphis, Cleveland and Indy) that I'm "blacked out" for - even though I have a streaming service from which I can't even purchase the local channel to watch if I wanted. So whose rights are being protected in that scenario?
Old 04-24-2024, 05:09 PM   #379
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I get all of that. It just seems that once you get into the postseason, local rules should no longer matter when it's a nationally televised playoff game. The local blackout rules are pretty ridiculous anyway. I live hours from 3 different teams (Memphis, Cleveland and Indy) that I'm "blacked out" for - even though I have a streaming service from which I can't even purchase the local channel to watch if I wanted. So whose rights are being protected in that scenario?

From what you describe, if I'm reading it right, the national network partners like TNT.

They're not paying for those rights only to have the league compete against them with their own channel (the games were simultaneous / overlapping, right?)
Old 04-24-2024, 07:22 PM   #380
Ksyrup

I think so. I don't know. One game ended, I wanted to watch the end of the other. I couldn't. It's a freaking playoff game. That's a stupid setup, I don't really care who gets what out of the deal.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:58 AM   #381
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The trailer for FXs “Clipped”
Looks pretty good. Ed O’Neill as Sterling and Laurence Fishburne as Doc Rivers.

Last edited by stevew : 04-26-2024 at 03:00 AM.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:43 PM   #382
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Amazon Prime has framework deal for NBA broadcast rights, per sources, putting pressure on TNT, NBC - The Athletic

Hoooleee Shit.

In what will be a landmark move in sports media history, the NBA and Amazon Prime Video have the framework of a deal that will make the streaming service one of the main homes for the league’s games, executives with direct knowledge of the talks told The Athletic.

It is expected that Prime Video’s package will include significant regular season and postseason games, perhaps even some conference finals. The anticipation is that the final contract will be for at least a decade and begin the 2025-2026 season.

ESPN/ABC, as the website Puck reported Thursday, also has a framework of a deal with the expectations that an agreement will be completed. ESPN/ABC are expected to keep the Finals on its networks for the duration of its deals. Like Amazon, ESPN’s new contract is also expected to be at least a decade in length.

All of the details are not finalized yet, but all sides are under the expectations they will get done. The NBA, Amazon and ESPN all declined to comment.

The NBA prefers to have three companies involved in its new deals, but has not ruled out adding a fourth.

The NBA is finishing up nine-year deals that pay it $2.6 billion on average from ESPN and TNT Sports. Those contracts end after the 2024-2025 season.

The advancement in the Amazon and ESPN talks leaves incumbent Warner Bros. Discovery, which owns network TNT Sports, to face off with NBC, owned by Comcast, for the likely last package of games. Warner Bros. Discovery has the right to match deals, but NBC could try to structure an agreement in a way that makes it difficult.

While there is still work to be completed for the final arrangements, the current packages are going to be pruned slightly to create the third partner. In one arrangement, ESPN will cut down from around 100 games to around 80, according to executives briefed on the talks.

A natural landing spot for Amazon’s regular-season games could be Thursday night, where it already has the NFL from September to early January. The NBA, in recent years, has moved its games off Thursday during the time period to not go head-to-head with the NFL. It is expected to then have significant playoff inventory. Amazon has shown interest in global rights, which has been a key part of the NBA’s negotiating strategy as it lined all of its domestic and international deals to end following the 2024-2025 season.

The NBA has made it clear that it wanted to define itself for the next frontier of viewing with streaming at the forefront.

With ESPN, Amazon and the NBA all under the impression that they will complete deals, this puts the onus on TNT Sports, which has had the NBA since 1984. It is in a fight with NBC, which was the lead partner of the NBA before losing its rights in 2002. NBC, with its streaming service, Peacock, wants back in and is competing with Warner Bros. Discovery Sports for a deal.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 04-26-2024 at 04:01 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 03:55 PM   #383
RainMaker
General Manager

So is TNT out the door?
Old 04-26-2024, 04:06 PM   #384
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It's believed that it's between TNT and NBC/Peacock for the Third Package.

(The NBA has not ruled out a fourth package, but I get the feeling it'd have to be a huge deal to get a fourth carve out of games)

The situation it reminds me of is the NFL deal, when they signed on with NBC, and told ESPN "There's one package left for Monday Nights. It's not going to be as important as Sunday night, AND you're going to have to pay through your ass to keep it".. but ESPN had to pay it because they couldn't live without football.