Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-20-2019, 10:51 PM   #8301
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Sorry if this shillng isn't allowed, but I'm selling the crown jewel of my wrestling collection, the OOP biography of "Playboy" Gary Hart. I don't know if I'll get the asking price of it, but I wanted to see what offers I'd get, and it's literally half the price of anywhere else.

It's a holy grail for 80's wrestling fans, and I don't really want to sell it, but my health issues have gotten worse and I'm not on disability yet ��

"My Life In Wrestling ... by Gary Hart (Super Rare/OOP) | eBay
Old 07-22-2019, 07:27 PM   #8302
RainMaker
General Manager

Any predictions on who becomes first AEW champ? Jericho makes sense from a TV standpoint. He's a known name. But he's also like 50 and not sure that separates them from what WWE is.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:39 PM   #8303
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Any predictions on who becomes first AEW champ? Jericho makes sense from a TV standpoint. He's a known name. But he's also like 50 and not sure that separates them from what WWE is.

It's set up to "make" Page. Whether they'll do that, I dunno.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:17 PM   #8304
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sure, the Raw Reunion is a nice bit of nostalgia - never a bad time for a Ron Simmons sighting - but ... what does it say about how badly you've fucked things up if this drives ratings up noticeably?
Old 07-23-2019, 12:12 AM   #8305
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Sure, the Raw Reunion is a nice bit of nostalgia - never a bad time for a Ron Simmons sighting - but ... what does it say about how badly you've fucked things up if this drives ratings up noticeably?

Some of those guys are looking real old too.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:41 AM   #8306
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Some of those guys are looking real old too.

Nash walking to the ring was pretty bad. Flair dancing to Hogan's music & having to hitch his pants afterwards just more like sad

(I'm assuming that the suit was ill-fitting after his recent health issue)
Old 07-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #8307
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Haven’t they always done this though? I tuned in for the first time since the Royal Rumble last night and they did absolutely nothing to hitch me in. Figured they would use the opportunity to have a big angle or anything really. Instead they just delivered a bad episode of a wrestling show.

Why did all the heels think they needed to drive home the fact that something was wrong with the product? I don’t remember such a overarching focus on the product as a whole by the wrestlers since like 98-99 WcW vs WWF wars. The difference back then is I remember most of the wrestlers being positive about their own product and negative about the other guys. Last night seemed like all the current guys (heels) were telling us why they think the company sucks or what they think is wrong with the company.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:41 PM   #8308
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Why did all the heels think they needed to drive home the fact that something was wrong with the product? I don’t remember such a overarching focus on the product as a whole by the wrestlers since like 98-99 WcW vs WWF wars. The difference back then is I remember most of the wrestlers being positive about their own product and negative about the other guys. Last night seemed like all the current guys (heels) were telling us why they think the company sucks or what they think is wrong with the company.

Because heels don't exist anymore?

And I'm only being partially facetious. I mean, the faces are the ones defending the product that viewers have been leaving in steady numbers. Rollins ends up in the biggest rub spot of the night (apparently because Ricochet wasn't medically cleared to appear) & what happens today?
He's already been meme'd.

Talked about their situation some over dinner last night (before seeing the show). I'm not sure that anything short of a full-on formal reboot can fix them (though maybe giving Jado the book for at least a year might be another alternative).
Old 07-23-2019, 09:23 PM   #8309
Flasch186
Coordinator

Bray Wyatt is going to be a HUGE FACE. This is part and parcel to the WWE problem of not knowing how to build a character nor the idea of a pendulum-like character arc. I love it when the crowd forces the WWE to follow their lead but it's painful getting there.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:07 AM   #8310
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Bray Wyatt is going to be a HUGE FACE. This is part and parcel to the WWE problem of not knowing how to build a character nor the idea of a pendulum-like character arc. I love it when the crowd forces the WWE to follow their lead but it's painful getting there.

Doubt it. I feel like they don’t want anyone to get too over so we will revert to WCW booking where you make the guys that start to heat up eat pinfalls nonstop and just generally look stupid. Happens every time Bray starts to heat up.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #8311
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
It's set up to "make" Page. Whether they'll do that, I dunno.

It's an interesting decision. I would think TNT would want Jericho to show up with the championship. He's a name most people in wrestling know while I imagine most casual fans have never seen Page before.

Also I wonder if you're better off starting a promotion with a heel champ where you can have a face chase. Or vice versa.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:38 PM   #8312
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's an interesting decision. I would think TNT would want Jericho to show up with the championship. He's a name most people in wrestling know while I imagine most casual fans have never seen Page before.

Also I wonder if you're better off starting a promotion with a heel champ where you can have a face chase. Or vice versa.

But then you're almost trapped with Omega chasing Jericho right out of the gate. (Mox being, ostensibly, a heel or at least a tweener).

It is an interesting choice to make. On the one hand it's supposed to be about "being different" but going the Jericho route is the most predictable outcome possible ... and how "different" is going with a 48 year old champion?
Old 07-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #8313
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

You put the belt on Jericho at All Out, then let Page win it on the first TV show on 10/2
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:00 PM   #8314
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Dola - which compels me to suggest that AEW do a father/son angle with DDP.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:36 AM   #8315
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

El Phantasmo and Jay White may be fantastic heels in NJPW ... but Lance Archer is the first guy I've seen put a front row kid in tears in a long time.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:22 PM   #8316
Scarecrow
College Prospect

RIP Harley Race
Old 08-04-2019, 08:57 AM   #8317
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

G1 Climax this year has been pretty good so far. B-block in particular has been great. Watching Moxley eating a clean pin to Switchblade after being derailed on his streak by Yano was great storytelling.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:10 PM   #8318
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Damned fine Gargano v Cole match on tonight's Takeover ... screwed over by a finish sequence that really made very little sense

edit (not the outcome, that part is fine, I'm talking about the way they chose to get there)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-10-2019 at 09:11 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #8319
RainMaker
General Manager

I like it. What was wrong with the end?
Old 08-11-2019, 02:49 AM   #8320
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I like it. What was wrong with the end?

What was the purpose of the entire barbed wire sequence when it played zero role in the finish?

I get it if they don't want it used on someone, fine. I'm not bothered by the lack of the match being turned into a juicefest one bit. So that isn't my gripe at all.

But as executed, literally any old weapon would have sufficed as reason for Cole to run (and be in position for the plummet). Cole taking flight is sufficient catalyst for Gargano to chase (so that gets them up there). But as set up, the decision / determination of Gargano to use the barbed wire should have been what cost him. THAT tells a story, one that should probably BE the story (Johnny Wrestling loses his head & loses the war because of it). Instead, we get an abrupt dive off the makeshift scaffold that neutered the presence of the barbed wire entirely.

I felt like creative/booking cheated both guys horribly, with a finish that simply didn't make any sense. And I felt cheated by a finish that should have been better after a helluva match.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-11-2019 at 02:50 AM.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:14 AM   #8321
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

White vs Ibushi for the G1 Climax Final. Woowoo.

Breathe with switchblade!
Old 08-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #8322
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
White vs Ibushi for the G1 Climax Final. Woowoo.Breathe with switchblade!

Well I guess that relieves me of the pressure of watching the show - which was going to happen here in about 30 minutes.

Good thing we have those goddamned spoiler tags.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:50 AM   #8323
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The most important result of the G1 Final will not be the outcome of the Final.

Helluva surprise.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:37 AM   #8324
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well I guess that relieves me of the pressure of watching the show - which was going to happen here in about 30 minutes.

Good thing we have those goddamned spoiler tags.

Apologies, Jon. Forgot that there are people who don't watch it live.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:20 PM   #8325
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
What was the purpose of the entire barbed wire sequence when it played zero role in the finish?

I get it if they don't want it used on someone, fine. I'm not bothered by the lack of the match being turned into a juicefest one bit. So that isn't my gripe at all.

But as executed, literally any old weapon would have sufficed as reason for Cole to run (and be in position for the plummet). Cole taking flight is sufficient catalyst for Gargano to chase (so that gets them up there). But as set up, the decision / determination of Gargano to use the barbed wire should have been what cost him. THAT tells a story, one that should probably BE the story (Johnny Wrestling loses his head & loses the war because of it). Instead, we get an abrupt dive off the makeshift scaffold that neutered the presence of the barbed wire entirely.

I felt like creative/booking cheated both guys horribly, with a finish that simply didn't make any sense. And I felt cheated by a finish that should have been better after a helluva match.

Can't disagree with that. Especially since it fits the Gargano character.

Wasn't a big fan of Summerslam. Just didn't feel like it had the star power of years past and only a couple matches felt special.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #8326
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wasn't a big fan of Summerslam. Just didn't feel like it had the star power of years past and only a couple matches felt special.

And some bits were outright nonsensical.

I was reminded in considerable detail during the show (which the kid wanted to watch just in case there were good parts) that if the only wrestling available was WWE main brands then I'd be out of the fandom business entirely. It's like it's being written by someone who has gone completely round the bend.

Oh. Wait.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #8327
RainMaker
General Manager

Did you like The Fiend?
Old 08-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #8328
Flasch186
Coordinator

AEdub AEdub

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:55 PM   #8329
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Did you like The Fiend?

I think the gimmick is dumb a.f. but he did fine with what he was given. The lantern was 10/10 quality though.

I thought giving Balor any offense in that match was a bad call but that's kind of a {shrug} in the big picture.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:05 PM   #8330
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
AEdub AEdub

LOL. Yeah, Orange Cassidy is gonna click with the masses I'm sure.

I cannot imagine them lasting a year on TV. The ratio of bad decisions/good decisions is steadily tilting in the wrong direction and they're looking more & more like a joke to me.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:51 AM   #8331
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not much revealed in the NJPW post-G1 press conference overnight. Nothing about Shibata's status anyway.

-- Very good card for Copper Box show.
-- The remainder of the Super J Cup field.
-- Ibushi says he wants an IWGP shot the first night of WK followed by an IC shot on the second night of WK. Maybe that unification talk is really for Ibushi rather than Naito.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:43 AM   #8332
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm almost ashamed that I dug the Fiend thing. Cool entrance and Bray looks in much better shape than he was before. Now if Vince can just use him sparingly to make it feel special, it could work.

Bray is also creative as hell and this company should let guys like that run with stuff and maybe help out in other areas.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:58 AM   #8333
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Not much revealed in the NJPW post-G1 press conference overnight. Nothing about Shibata's status anyway.

-- Very good card for Copper Box show.
-- The remainder of the Super J Cup field.
-- Ibushi says he wants an IWGP shot the first night of WK followed by an IC shot on the second night of WK. Maybe that unification talk is really for Ibushi rather than Naito.

Would be interesting.

Is there a chance Liger closes out one of the shows? Feels weird to have his big farewell in an early match.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:37 PM   #8334
RainMaker
General Manager

Buddy Murphy is damn good. Where did he come from?
Old 08-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #8335
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Buddy Murphy is damn good. Where did he come from?

He's an Aussie who has spent 6+ years in developmental. (now 30 y/o).

He's also engaged to Alexa Bliss.
edit: Or at least they were until a few months ago.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-21-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:14 PM   #8336
RainMaker
General Manager

Well he's great in the ring. Almost feels out of place in WWE.

And good for him.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #8337
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Got our end-of-summer ROH TV taping tickets last night. (show is Saturday night).

Scalpers appear to have bought up all the (based on the resale map) middle tier seats, which is going to make for some interesting crowd shots if they don't start moving.

Right now the high dollar low seats and the lowest dollar nosebleeds (relative term, it's a small venue) are pretty much gone, with big chunks of the rest still available.

First time I've seen that happen with them in Atlanta. Based on the difference between our first show and our more recent one, I have to think there's a certain amount of Bullet Club affect in play. When the (now mostly AEW) old gang was still around fans seemed to snag the tickets in enough quantity that the tickets went. Post-BC, the depleted ROH roster doesn't sell as quickly here and leaves the opportunity for this sort of thing.

On a related wrestling-in-Atlanta note, I signed up for the NWA newsletter in order to get the earliest word on where they're planning to tape their new "TV" show. More curiosity on my part than legitimate interest I think, but I can see even "very limited" tickets being a tough sell for them unless they cobble together a lot more talent than I expect to be on hand.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-23-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #8338
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

btw, Sinclair completed the acquisition of the 21 Fox Sports Regional networks today.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:18 PM   #8339
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Moxley out (staph infection - elbow), Pac in vs Omega for the weekend AEW show.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:55 PM   #8340
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Moxley out (staph infection - elbow), Pac in vs Omega for the weekend AEW show.

Brutal news for him and AEW. Timing couldn't be worse.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:34 AM   #8341
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Brutal news for him and AEW. Timing couldn't be worse.

And Fenix appears to have narrowly avoided injury tonight. Hoped to be a sprain instead of the broken leg initially feared.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:33 PM   #8342
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

File this under "well, I didn't see THAT coming"

Quote:
Today’s announcement reveals that Georgia Public Broadcasting and GPB Studios will be the home of the National Wrestling Alliance series. Also revealed today was that tickets for this event will go on sale on Tuesday, September 3rd for this event. A limited number of VIP passes will be sold to guarantee your entry to the event which also includes special merchandise and meet and greets as part of your ticket. A general admission ticket will also be available as well.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:45 PM   #8343
RainMaker
General Manager

So it's just going to be a regional promotion?
Old 08-26-2019, 04:21 PM   #8344
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

That's quite the lead-in to Masterpiece Theater
Old 08-26-2019, 04:53 PM   #8345
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So it's just going to be a regional promotion?

I _think_ that it means only that the show will be taped at studios owned by GPB. They do rent those out best I can tell

I figure they'll use "Studio C" for the matches
Quote:
Studio C: 60' x 90', retractable tiered audience seating for 253, movable lighting grid, exceptionally high ceiling, retractable projection screen, black and crème cyc

And I wouldn't be surprised if Studio J didn't turn into the "desk" area
Quote:
Studio J: 40' x 28', contains a news set with adjustable plexiglass and translite elements, fixed lighting grid, black cyc

GPB also has access to experienced sports (though not wrestling) camera people through their fairly robust amount of HS sports programming created in-house (well, freelancers) so it's not the craziest notion in history once you think about it ... but it's still a helluva unexpected pairing afaic.

Also announced today was their choice for lead announcer, a local Emmy winning sportscaster from San Antonio. The interesting thing about him may be this: he works for a station owned by ... Sinclair Broadcasting.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:12 PM   #8346
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Sinclair also owns the Fox RSN now. Wonder if this means a regular slot for RoH
Old 08-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #8347
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Sinclair also owns the Fox RSN now. Wonder if this means a regular slot for RoH

There is a fair bit of speculation about that. It'd certainly improve their visibility to have a fixed timeslot nationwide (most local affiliates air the show in overnights but it varies).
Old 08-31-2019, 07:37 PM   #8348
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

It's great to see PAC again
Old 08-31-2019, 11:03 PM   #8349
RainMaker
General Manager

Are the Bucks dead?
Old 09-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #8350
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If you think about it, between NJPW in the UK, NXT UK, and AEW, yesterday was a pretty crazy 24 hours.

There was strong work on all the shows, none were perfect but no sense bitching to the point of letting perfection be the enemy of good.