Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-22-2019, 10:03 PM   #17601
JPhillips
General Manager

I remember when I'd get heat for saying the GOP is a White nationalist party.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:31 PM   #17602
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Not really related other than another data point in changing demographics that hits close to home. I live in Forsyth county.

Mentioned it to my wife. She is a school teacher and she is thinks its not Asian Chinese ethnicity but more Asian Indian.

(Forsyth is also the richest county in Georgia, I guess I made a good bet about 15 years ago but unfortunately home prices haven't come close to doubling)

All things held equal, the Dems are going to win the demographics war in the next 20-40 years. The GOP can slow down the trend but they are going to have to cater to a minority group(s) and/or open up the immigration gates for White Europe vs others.

Suburban Georgia county sees top increase in Asian population
Quote:
In a recent one-year period, Forsyth had the fastest-growing Asian population of all U.S. counties of at least 20,000 or more residents, according to data released today by the Census Bureau.The 12% jump — following years of steady double-digit increases — means about 1 in 7 Forsyth County residents is Asian. In the past decade, the Asian population in the county has more than tripled, the new Census data shows. Forsyth now has more than 34,000 residents who identify as Asian.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:06 AM   #17603
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

I bet half of those 10 people came from California
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:18 AM   #17604
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
All things held equal, the Dems are going to win the demographics war in the next 20-40 years. The GOP can slow down the trend but they are going to have to cater to a minority group(s) and/or open up the immigration gates for White Europe vs others.

It wouldn't even be the first time in the last hundred years.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:06 AM   #17605
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
But, her emails?

Burn the witch!!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #17606
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Back to the anthem shenanigans. He knows the issue polls well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:19 AM   #17607
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/25/polit...ntl/index.html

weird world we live in when I agree with Iran
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #17608
molson
General Manager

I see CNN is going with the more polite, PC translation. Other sources say that say that Rouhani said that "the White House is afflicited by mental retardation".

It shouldn't be forgotten that advisers close to Trump talked about trying to generate momentum for a 25th Amendment challenge to his presidency. Not as a political power move (though it was likely shut down due to politics, as was, on the other side, efforts to impeach him). Because the real Trump behind the scenes is even scarier than the version we see. Everybody has just kind of decided we're just going to go with this until the election and hope for the best.

Last edited by molson : 06-25-2019 at 12:12 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:24 PM   #17609
Thomkal
Head Coach

Mueller will testify publically before House committee on July 17.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:26 PM   #17610
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I see CNN is going with the more polite, PC translation. Other sources say that say that Rouhani said that "the White House is afflicited by mental retardation".

It shouldn't be forgotten that advisers close to Trump talked about trying to generate momentum for a 25th Amendment challenge to his presidency. Not as a political power move (though it was likely shut down due to politics, as was, on the other side, efforts to impeach him). Because the real Trump behind the scenes is even scarier than the version we see. Everybody has just kind of decided we're just going to go with this until the election and hope for the best.

I cant wait for the book to come out about what goes on behind the scenes. We crush anyone who supports him, but I bet some of them are heros who save us from him.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:26 PM   #17611
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Mueller will testify publically before House committee on July 17.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:33 PM   #17612
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I cant wait for the book to come out about what goes on behind the scenes. We crush anyone who supports him, but I bet some of them are heros who save us from him.

I say fuck them. They have the ability to speak out. Staying silent and then using their heroics as a way to stay in political good graces is crap.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:15 PM   #17613
JPhillips
General Manager

dola

I wonder what will happen to our old friend Cam Edwards?
Old 06-25-2019, 10:19 PM   #17614
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Yeah I'm a bit worried though-he's already said that his report says everything he's wanted to say and that he won't provide new evidence/information beyond that. So it may be a big dud.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:28 PM   #17615
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sorry to Cam if he still works there, but good news about NRA/Loesch-hope its the beginning of the end of their influence over the Republican party,
Old 06-26-2019, 01:36 PM   #17616
RainMaker
General Manager

Cam was in support of the "learn to code" meme directed at fired journalists. So maybe he should take that advice.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:08 AM   #17617
Butter
Coordinator

Alabama woman loses unborn child after being shot, gets arrested; shooter goes free - al.com

So is this really what we're doing now? I'm not sure if I find the racism or the manslaughter charge more disturbing.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:56 AM   #17618
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Between this and the voter suppression going on, along with the level of precision modern tech allows in identifying voters I’m really worried about our democracy.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #17619
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Alabama woman loses unborn child after being shot, gets arrested; shooter goes free - al.com

So is this really what we're doing now? I'm not sure if I find the racism or the manslaughter charge more disturbing.

If she drove drunk, wrecked and caused the birth of her child would you oppose?

That she drove to another woman's house and assaulted her and then confronted her after she pulled a gun shows a lack of responsibility for her child.

I think both parties should be charged. But I cant imagine if the charges wouldnt stick against the trigger puller that they will stick against the failed mom.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:53 AM   #17620
JPhillips
General Manager

How about this,

a parent starts to argue with an ump at a little league game. The ump, who is carrying, feels threatened and pulls his gun and shoots. The bullet misses the father, but hits and kills a child on one of the teams.

You would want the father charged with manslaughter?
Old 06-27-2019, 12:02 PM   #17621
Butter
Coordinator

"Confronted her after she pulled a gun."

So fucking what?
Old 06-27-2019, 12:15 PM   #17622
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
How about this,

a parent starts to argue with an ump at a little league game. The ump, who is carrying, feels threatened and pulls his gun and shoots. The bullet misses the father, but hits and kills a child on one of the teams.

You would want the father charged with manslaughter?
If the father had an infant in a papoose yes. Its under his control and he chose to put it in danger.

In your scenario...I'm not sure. I'd be inclined to wish him executed just for being the dad that charged a little league ump.

But Im pretty extreme on parenting responsibility. We've been down that rabbit hole before. I wouldnt be opposed to assault charges for mothers who drink, smoke or do drugs while pregnant.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 06-27-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:21 PM   #17623
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
"Confronted her after she pulled a gun."

So fucking what?

A gun (in that environment) is a tool. It is a tool with one job. To kill.
The mother saw the gun, knew the consequence and knowingly subjected her child to that danger.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:29 PM   #17624
JPhillips
General Manager

What if the mother had drawn a gun first? Is she then off the hook because the other woman should have backed down at that point?
Old 06-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #17625
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
A gun (in that environment) is a tool. It is a tool with one job. To kill.
The mother saw the gun, knew the consequence and knowingly subjected her child to that danger.

Not a child. Suppose our argument ends there.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:24 PM   #17626
miked
College Starter

Quote:
If she drove drunk, wrecked and caused the birth of her child would you oppose?

That she drove to another woman's house and assaulted her and then confronted her after she pulled a gun shows a lack of responsibility for her child.

I think both parties should be charged. But I cant imagine if the charges wouldnt stick against the trigger puller that they will stick against the failed mom.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:32 PM   #17627
JPhillips
General Manager

Trump's threatening to delay the census, or in other words, to violate his oath to defend the Constitution.

Sure would be nice is the GOP cared.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:06 PM   #17628
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not a child. Suppose our argument ends there.

Pretty much.
Down the rabbit hole...but when does it become a child?
When it passes through the birth canal? What part the leading edge of the fetus or the trailing edge?
I mean can we decapitate partially born humans and it not be murder? Or can we poke their brains out before they hit the hole and its not murder?
Or is there some other magic time?
Old 06-27-2019, 04:14 PM   #17629
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post

I'm ignorant to the reference.
Some quick googling in context brought up some RvW reference...but this isnt an abortion or medical procedure we are discussing.

This isnt new legal territory. 38 states have laws on the books defining this specific situation. 30 of those provide full legal coverage. Alabama is one.
You can express outrage over the law, but it isnt a new law.
AL 13A-1
(2006) defines "person," for the purpose of criminal homicide or assaults, to include an unborn child in utero at any stage of development, regardless of viability and specifies that nothing in the act shall make it a crime to perform or obtain an abortion that is otherwise legal.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 06-27-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:17 PM   #17630
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

triple dola: the sad part is you guys are trying even tangentially to make this about Trump.

This is an Alabama state legal matter. It has nothing to do with who is in the white house. The same law was on the books during the entirety of the Obama administration.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:18 PM   #17631
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Trump's threatening to delay the census, or in other words, to violate his oath to defend the Constitution.

Sure would be nice is the GOP cared.

If the census is conducted in 2020, it doesn't, Constitutionally speaking, matter whether it's conducted in January or June. The ability to reapportion districts to reflect the census results doesn't happen until after the 2020 elections, anyhow.

If the census isn't conducted in 2020 at all, it's a violation, to be sure, but a risky one: if a Democrat defeats him in 2020, then the census gets performed on THEIR terms.

Well, y'know, assuming the transfer of power actually happens, but that would be a Constitutional crisis of a whole 'nother caliber.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #17632
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
triple dola: the sad part is you guys are trying even tangentially to make this about Trump.

This is an Alabama state legal matter. It has nothing to do with who is in the white house. The same law was on the books during the entirety of the Obama administration.

What I'm hearing, but not out loud, is "fuck Alabama."

I can support that.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:07 PM   #17633
Izulde
Head Coach

Twitter to tag, but not remove, world leaders' tweets that break its rules | TheHill

Twitter about to get savage.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:37 PM   #17634
cuervo72
Head Coach

So, to borrow a Gawker term, putting them in the grays?
Old 06-28-2019, 01:22 AM   #17635
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUTiger
This isnt new legal territory. 38 states have laws on the books defining this specific situation. 30 of those provide full legal coverage. Alabama is one.
You can express outrage over the law, but it isnt a new law.

Yep. Not only that, but some are there places that literally are bastions of progressivism. Take California for example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by California penal code, 187 (a)
Murder is the unlawful killing of a human being, or a fetus, with malice aforethought.

There is generally nothing consistent with our nation's approach to whether the unborn are worth protecting or not. Basically, they are equal in value to humans when its convenient, but also equal in value to a dust mite when we find it to be convenient.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:20 AM   #17636
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Pretty much.
Down the rabbit hole...but when does it become a child?
When it passes through the birth canal? What part the leading edge of the fetus or the trailing edge?
I mean can we decapitate partially born humans and it not be murder? Or can we poke their brains out before they hit the hole and its not murder?
Or is there some other magic time?

You must be extra fired up today (yesterday at this point).

In my opinion, it becomes a child when the fetus is viable. Post 20 weeks, or so. Not a doctor, so I don't know the exact survivability rates.

But c'mon, your comments here are a little hysterical. You sound like the "death panels" rhetoric. Nobody is decapitating newly born infants, or even advocating anything close to that.

Quote:

I really wasn't trying to make it about Trump, this just seemed like the catch-all political commentary thread, didn't see another thread specifically about abortion.

But I would argue that the challenges to long-standing abortion law have certainly ramped up in the past couple of years. Not sure that Trump really cares at all about abortion, but the GOP is aggressively trying to roll back these protections. Wouldn't be surprised if during Obama's presidency, something like this doesn't even get charged.

I would also agree with Brian Swartz's statement that we tend to call it a person when it's convenient and not when it's not.

Finally, I would also argue that intent has a lot to do with it. For example, abusive spouses that are attempting to bring an end to a pregnancy that the mother does not want to end probably should be held accountable in some extra way.

Last edited by Butter : 06-28-2019 at 06:20 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:45 AM   #17637
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You must be extra fired up today (yesterday at this point).

In my opinion, it becomes a child when the fetus is viable. Post 20 weeks, or so. Not a doctor, so I don't know the exact survivability rates.

But c'mon, your comments here are a little hysterical. You sound like the "death panels" rhetoric. Nobody is decapitating newly born infants, or even advocating anything close to that.

Yeah...I was probably a little extra amped yesterday. But I dont think that changes what I said.

I guess my perspective, and its worth exactly what everyone else's is - nada - the viable point is where we just differ.

From the moment of conception a mother doesnt have to "do anything special" to make a child be born. There isnt a choice or a divergent path where she gets to choose poop now=no baby;dont poop = baby...to me that makes the baby "viable" from the moment of conception.

Yes, fetus(es) (fetusii?) at various stages have varying survivability rates, just like humans have various survivability rates. Especially outside of 1st world medical care during a human's 1st year on the planet and any point past its - say randomly - 60th year on the planet its life is more likely to end than during those other 59 years. It doesnt mean we give lesser sentences for killing old people. The crime is still the same. That some unborn fetus die without causation doesnt change the argument. Sometimes 20 year olds die of natural causes also.

So to me, from the moment of conception it is a viable, possible life and we should do everything feasible to protect it. And when the very person entrusted with its care chooses to endanger it that is especially heionous and aggravated to my sensibilities.

You will note I do not mention abortion, at all. I am personally conflicted there. I dont have that answer. I am talking only about intentional or negligent harm.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 06-28-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:57 PM   #17638
miked
College Starter

I mean, every time you get in the car, you have a greater than 0 chance of getting in an accident and having something bad happen. Your comments above were silly, and the Gilead flag was a reference to the Handmaid's Tale, where people like you believe the sole job of a woman seems to be to cook, clean, and carry babies.

Could this lady have done anything different? Maybe, I'm sure there are often times we wish we could. Should she be charged with murder because somebody else shot her in the stomach while she was 5 months pregnant? Was she aware that somebody would actually shoot a pregnant lady in the stomach? That shit is stupid, or should we just say it's Alabaman...
Old 06-28-2019, 04:57 PM   #17639
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
the very person entrusted with its care chooses to endanger it

Entrusted by whom?
Old 06-28-2019, 06:13 PM   #17640
JPhillips
General Manager

Yeah, where do you draw that line? What about the tree you didn't trim and it fell and killed your child? Taking your kid to NYC and they get measles and die? Feeding them known carcinogens?
Old 06-28-2019, 06:15 PM   #17641
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I think "Known Carcinogens" would be a great name for a band.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:46 PM   #17642
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I think "Known Carcinogens" would be a great name for a band.

How about "The Untrimmed Trees"
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:04 PM   #17643
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
How about "The Untrimmed Trees"

Sounds more like an album title.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:08 AM   #17644
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Alabama would be a great band name.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #17645
JPhillips
General Manager

Trump, when asked about Western liberalism, complains about the mayors of SF and LA.

When asked about school busing, he says there really aren't other ways to get kids to school.

God help us.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:01 AM   #17646
tarcone
Coordinator

This discussion of abortion is interesting. Like everyone, Im conflicted. When does life start? I believe in choice and life. This is why it is such a hot button topic I imagine.

But you cannot compare someone shooting a woman in the stomach and charging her with murder, unless she told the person to do it, to a conscious choice to terminate.

Or a tree branch falling? That is an accident. Not a conscious decision. Some people have no clue when to trim a tree or even if you should. Everyone knows what an abortion is and what it does.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:20 AM   #17647
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Sounds more like an album title.

BUY "UNTRIMMED TREES" THE NEW ALBUM BY "KNOWN CARCINOGENS" ON ITUNES, AMAZON, AND WHEREVER MUSIC SOLD.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #17648
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
This discussion of abortion is interesting. Like everyone, Im conflicted. When does life start? I believe in choice and life. This is why it is such a hot button topic I imagine.

But you cannot compare someone shooting a woman in the stomach and charging her with murder, unless she told the person to do it, to a conscious choice to terminate.

Or a tree branch falling? That is an accident. Not a conscious decision. Some people have no clue when to trim a tree or even if you should. Everyone knows what an abortion is and what it does.

The point was that we put our children in danger all the time, but the odds are nothing comes of it. But if we're in a world where getting shot is manslaughter, how would we deal with all the risks we take with our children?
Old 06-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #17649
JPhillips
General Manager

Right on, comrade!
Old 06-29-2019, 05:33 PM   #17650
AlexB
Pro Starter

It’s a nice touch that it was edited a minute after posting...
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote