Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-23-2019, 08:00 PM   #101
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
The Suns have nothing to show for three of their last four drafts because they took guys like Doumbouya, Coby White and Hachimura who were raw and had no basketball IQ.

I won't argue with Doumboya and Coby White on that score, but Hachimura doesn't belong in that category IMO. He's pretty well developed I think - I watched him play with the Japanese national team against Australia a little while ago and he looked like he belonged on the court - even though it was our B-squad, these were still veteran professional basketballers versus a college kid. He has a mature offensive game I think, and a "pro build" already. I think he could end up being a nice 3/4 man in the NBA, but probably not an All-Star.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:11 AM   #102
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I won't argue with Doumboya and Coby White on that score, but Hachimura doesn't belong in that category IMO. He's pretty well developed I think - I watched him play with the Japanese national team against Australia a little while ago and he looked like he belonged on the court - even though it was our B-squad, these were still veteran professional basketballers versus a college kid. He has a mature offensive game I think, and a "pro build" already. I think he could end up being a nice 3/4 man in the NBA, but probably not an All-Star.
He's just real raw for his age - he started playing later and doesn't have a lot of basketball awareness. I do think he is one of the guys who could end up being a solid player because of his character, but he will be an unmitigated disaster on defense for the first year or two with his slower feet and lack of awareness. He's basically a raw TJ Warren without the injury concerns.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:04 AM   #103
miami_fan
Coordinator

James Harden, Chris Paul, Jimmy Butler, and Mike D'Antoni. That would be an interesting chemistry project.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 06-26-2019 at 10:04 AM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:32 AM   #104
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Don't forget D'Antoni being a lame duck coach with a new staff. This could be a nightmare. At this point they should just trade for JR Smith and sign Swaggy P.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #105
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Don't forget D'Antoni being a lame duck coach with a new staff. This could be a nightmare. At this point they should just trade for JR Smith and sign Swaggy P.

A real shame, too, since D'Antoni, CP3, Harden and Butler are all such likable people whom you just want to root for.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-26-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:57 PM   #106
miami_fan
Coordinator

Lakers get max cap space
Wizards get Wagner, Bonga, Jones and a Laker future 2nd round pick
Pelicans get cash from Wizards.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 06-27-2019, 02:12 PM   #107
miami_fan
Coordinator

Sources -- Lakers ship 3 to Wiz, open max space

Seems like this is an updated version of the AD trade.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #108
bhlloy
Coordinator

Seems like the Lakers and Rockets are going all in on the 3 all-stars plus scorched earth policy - the question of course is whether they can get above replacement level players to sign on for less than they are worth to fill out the roster.

If anything, you'd have thought this year with the Raptors that teams would be coming around on the well constructed, deep roster approach, but what do I know?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:31 PM   #109
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Seems like the lakers should actually keep(or strongly consider)Lance/Rondo/KCP and operate as an over the cap team and sign someone for a full MLE. All 3 of those guys function as filler for trades. Even if you get JR and Korver for the minimum you don't have enough shooting.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:33 PM   #110
stevew
Hall Of Famer

LeBron also switching back to #6
Old 06-27-2019, 05:51 PM   #111
miami_fan
Coordinator

Nothing over the last 10 years or so gives me any confidence that they can build a well constructed deep roster?
Old 06-27-2019, 06:08 PM   #112
Groundhog
Coordinator

IMO the Lakers would be better off trying to sign a couple of non max guys with that cap space. AD and LeBron are both top 5 players (when healthy and assuming LeBron doesn't start to show his mileage), do you really need Kemba Walker? Someone like Brogdon should be who they go after I think, and then try find a few more capable role players with what's left over, before bringing in the min-sal guys.

Last edited by Groundhog : 06-27-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:40 PM   #113
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think Kawhi is obviously the outlier, if you can get Kawhi with AD and LeBron, when healthy that's an absolutely unstoppable roster even with no money to spend on anyone else, and you are likely to get a couple of ring chasers to fill out the starting lineup.

If they've done what they are doing to take a shot at Kawhi and then maybe sign a couple of non-max shooters if that plan fails, that's probably a smart play. No chance in hell I'd max out Kemba Walker or DeAngelo Russell (nearly fell out of my chair when I saw that possibility mentioned) though.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:34 PM   #114
Galaril
Pro Starter

Boston front runners for Kemba Walker for what that's worth.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:04 PM   #115
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I don't really get it. Kemba really loves the Hornets/city, and MJ can try to hold a hard line now, but if they were actually willing to let Kemba leave if he was willing to sign 4/$141 elsewhere they could've traded him at the deadline and gotten something. Still think they'll offer much more $$$ instead of losing him. Oh well, either way it wouldn't be the first time that front office had a poor long term plan.

As a Celtics fan? I love Kemba's attitude vs Kyrie's, but Tjarks at the ringer actually convinced me Vucevic would fit better with the roster than Kemba. (And I don't really want either or Horford on a 4-year max, but whatever, cost of doing business.) If we're being forced to recalibrate the most important question is if Tatum/Brown(/ I guess Hayward) can be a #1/1a option in the playoffs, and a floor stretching center helps much more than a ball dominant PG.

On the third hand... I don't expect the Celtics to win a title soon, after this past season everyone in Boston just wants a likeable team again, and I fucking love watching/rooting for Kemba, so I can talk myself into it if it happens.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 06-28-2019 at 08:06 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:29 PM   #116
Groundhog
Coordinator

I think the Hornets didn't expect the supermax to come into the picture. I think they are dumb to have low-balled him in any case, but hey, the last smart move the Hornets made was ... well... drafting Kemba Walker.

Boston would be a great fit I think.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:55 AM   #117
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Darren Collison retiring just makes no sense at face value
Old 06-29-2019, 04:58 AM   #118
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Darren Collison retiring just makes no sense at face value

Of course it does, he's a Jehova's Witness, so he'll be serving a greater purpose by standing near a busy intersection somewhere in the world with a portable leaflet stand, silently, hoping someone walks over and asks him about the message printed on the front in the local language(s).
Old 06-29-2019, 10:24 AM   #119
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Of course it does, he's a Jehova's Witness, so he'll be serving a greater purpose by standing near a busy intersection somewhere in the world with a portable leaflet stand, silently, hoping someone walks over and asks him about the message printed on the front in the local language(s).

You better be careful or the watchtower is going to get you!

Like seriously just play and give your church most of your salary? He has health and basketball isn’t giving you CTE. He was probably getting a 1+1 with 13M guaranteed or something.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:27 AM   #120
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I think the Hornets didn't expect the supermax to come into the picture. I think they are dumb to have low-balled him in any case, but hey, the last smart move the Hornets made was ... well... drafting Kemba Walker.

Boston would be a great fit I think.
The Supermax was a tough wrinkle but I think even Kemba understood if he didn't get that. To offer a lower AAV than other teams can (5/$160 vs 4/$141) is insulting. And if that was their valuation of him (which is somewhat understandable given his age) they should have talked to him/his agent in February & shipped him out for like a 1st & Lonzo Ball. (Or a similar structure if the Lakers were still locked on AD, but with all their chaos I think they would've traded assets to give Lebron a "star" teammate.) I thought when Rich Cho took over the GM job the Hornets would stop being such a joke, but MJ gonna MJ.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:27 PM   #121
Atocep
Coordinator

Kemba to the Celtics for 4 years and $141 mil
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:31 PM   #122
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Kemba to the Celtics for 4 years and $141 mil

I guess the only question mark around this for me is that Kemba has basically played the role of sole star inside an empty cupboard, how is he going to respond to having a guy like Tatum and (in theory) Hayward around him? Could be glorious, or he could end up being a really well paid 18-7 guy. I lean towards glorious, but let's see.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:34 AM   #123
miami_fan
Coordinator

2019-2020 financials are out

2019-20 Figures:

Salary Floor: $98.226M
Salary Cap: $109.140M
Luxury Tax: $132.627M
Apron: $138.928M
Max (25%): $27.285M
Max (30%): $32.742M
Max (35%): $38.199M
NT-MLE: $9.258M
T-MLE: $5.718M
R-MLE: $4.767M
BAE: $3.623M
Trade Cash: $5.617M
Early Bird: $9.6054M
Est. Avg. Salary: $9.560M
Old 06-30-2019, 12:10 PM   #124
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

okay, some expert(s) help me with this headscratcher

espn f/a day notes include this

Quote:
2:44 p.m. ET: Another quality big on the market: Houston center Nene is declining his $3.8M option and will become a free agent, league sources tell Adrian Wojnarowski.

How does a 36 y/o coming off a literally 0.0 VORP season qualify as a "quality big"?

Is that just crappy phrasing by ESPN? Or is there some way to justify that description that is eluding me?
Old 06-30-2019, 12:57 PM   #125
miami_fan
Coordinator

The league sources are in the Knicks' front office?
Old 06-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #126
Galaril
Pro Starter

Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespn
Sources: Boston's showing interest in a 3-team sign-and-trade w/ Kyrie Irving (Nets), Kemba Walker (Celtics) and Terry Rozier (Hornets). Boston wants to create a full MLE and would likely need to surrender at least a first-round pick to Nets. So far, talks are exploratory.

1:09 PM - Jun 30, 2019
Old 06-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #127
Galaril
Pro Starter

Boston may be trying to clear space so they can keep Horford some are speculating
Old 06-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #128
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If they don’t have to renounce Kyrie or Horford or Rozier or Morris they can operate over the cap and will have options to trade Horford into space elsewhere and can get back a trade exception. Plus they can also just keep him and will have a full MLE to sign someone

Last edited by stevew : 06-30-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #129
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I'd be okay with giving up any pick other than the Memphis one if it means we re-sign Horford. If it just helps us create a full MLE instead of the mini-MLE we have I don't really get it. Charlotte also doesn't have any space to sign Rozier, so maybe it'd be like our 1st (or Milwaukee's) to Brooklyn, Charlotte's 2nd to us.

Btw when I saw it was a 3-team trade I thought it was going to be Kyrie to Brooklyn, Kemba to us, D-Lo to the Hornets and I was excited. I can't believe Brooklyn will actually try to go with Kyrie & D-Lo together as their backcourt, and Rozier/Malik Monk/Miles Bridges/PJ Washington/Jeremy Lamb? as a core is... not great. Charlotte's been killed by a lack of shooting (amongst other things), and you'll replace Kemba with Terry Rozier? Good luck.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:58 PM   #130
miami_fan
Coordinator

Source:Woj

Durant, Irving, DeAndre Jordan to the Nets.

Last edited by miami_fan : 06-30-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:00 PM   #131
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That Nets team has some ballers now.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:06 PM   #132
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Source:Woj

Durant, Irving, DeAndre Jordan to the Nets.

Quick summary of the other deals over the last couple of hours:

Rose to Detroit (15/2)
JJ Redick to New Orleans (26.5/2)
Kemba to Boston (141/4)
Kris Middleton stays in Milwaukee (178/5)
Barnes stays in Sacramento (85/4)
Jonas stays in Memphis (45/3)
Gerald Green stays in Houston (1 year - $???)
Terrence Ross stays in Orlando (54/4)
Garrett Temple to Brooklyn also (10/2)
Nicolo Melli to New Orleans (EuroLeague big - 8/2)
Aminu to Orlando (29/3)
Danuel House with Rockets (11/3)
Bojan Bogdanovic to Utah (73/4)
Brogdon s/t to Pacers
JEremy Lamb to Indiana
Thomas Bryant with Wizards (25/3)
Rodney Hood re-signs with Portland (16/2)

And Nikola Mirotic leaves a ton of cash on the table to go home.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:20 PM   #133
Groundhog
Coordinator

And Harris stays with the Sixers for a whooping 180/5 which is not a surprise really, but lots of money to be tied up in a dude who had a poor postseason.

Also not really sold on Brooklyn's moves. Not sure they could have done any better talent-wise, but KD is out a year and should come back fine but who knows, while the jury has to be out on Kyrie long-term after what happened in Boston. I tend to agree with Simmons - he'll be great for the first year of the contract, but it's easy to see him becoming toxic in Brooklyn as well.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:00 PM   #134
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Isn't 16m/season a lot for Rudy Gay
Old 06-30-2019, 08:07 PM   #135
miami_fan
Coordinator

Jimmy Butler s/t to the Heat.

Whiteside and Butler on the same roster.....hoo boy
Old 06-30-2019, 08:11 PM   #136
miami_fan
Coordinator

WOW! Horford to the Sixers!
Old 06-30-2019, 08:28 PM   #137
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Jimmy Butler s/t to the Heat.

Whiteside and Butler on the same roster.....hoo boy

Almost forgot... and Dion Waiters.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:29 PM   #138
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
WOW! Horford to the Sixers!

Yea that one's weird to me.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:31 PM   #139
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Yea that one's weird to me.

He's a great fit and I think on the court Horford+Harris is better for them than Butler+Harris.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:33 PM   #140
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Horford doesn't turn out to be the best signing of this flurry.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:34 PM   #141
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Please Lord, let Miami sign J.R. Reid.

And spend what it takes to get Magic to come & coach 'em
Old 06-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #142
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah Horford to the Sixers surprised me, but on paper at least he's a perfect fit for that team.

I like pretty much everything NO has done since trading Davis as well. Redick is a great signing to go with all those young guys. Can't say Melli is a guy I figured was on NBA radars, but I've seen him play a handful of times and he's a really nice 3 point shooter - I think Ryan Anderson is a comparison I'd make, both in terms of their shooting and their possible defensive issues in the NBA. But hey, I thought Ingles would be a negative defender in the NBA after having seen him a ton, and somehow it continues to surprise me that that's not the case.

Not sure how many games NO win next season, but they will be a League Pass favourite.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:01 PM   #143
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I see on Twitter (you can check the math yourselves) that the first four hours of f/a have produced roughly two BILLION in contracts.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:03 PM   #144
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
He's a great fit and I think on the court Horford+Harris is better for them than Butler+Harris.

So the plan is to play Horford at PF? He's a Duncan-esque PF. In other words, he's really a C. And Embiid is really a C. Admittedly, an uber-talented one, but a C nonetheless. Harris is terrific, but in that weird spot between SF and PF where you're not sure where he belongs.

Richardson (coming from MIA) will help fill the wing gap, at least.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:05 PM   #145
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Dola, there's a ton of talent on the team. I'm just curious to see how they're going to make these guys work together smoothly.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:36 PM   #146
miami_fan
Coordinator

I think I mentioned this here before when the Sixers traded for Butler. I am not sure if you have a title winning team with Jimmy Butler as the lead guy. I also don't know if he is the guy to attract someone else to team with. I guess we will see. Now in the Jokes Dept

Old 06-30-2019, 09:52 PM   #147
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Please Lord, let Miami sign J.R. Reid.

And spend what it takes to get Magic to come & coach 'em

Yeah I agree. A line up of Simmons, Richardson, Harris, 36-37 year old Horford and Embid with no bench yikes. They will be able to rebound for sure, but wonder if some teams will try to run them to death with that line up?

Last edited by Galaril : 06-30-2019 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:32 PM   #148
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Rumors abounding that Durant to Brooklyn is going to be a Sign-and-Trade involving D'Angelo Russel.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:35 PM   #149
Groundhog
Coordinator

I guess it beats getting nothing, but not sure how Russell looks on that Warriors squad. IMO he had a good year but is overrated right now considering how he does his scoring (and how he doesn't get to the line at a historic rate), but I guess he helps get the Warriors into the postseason while Klay recovers, but I think the Warriors are looking to move him next offseason.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:45 PM   #150
Groundhog
Coordinator

Warriors trading Iggy to Memphis to make it work. Really not sure about that. Green gets all the hype, but Iggy has been the one consistently defending the best wings in the postseason. Kawhi had a good series, but Iggy made his life real difficult at times, not to mention some of the stellar games he had locking down Lillard and LBJ in past years.