Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-04-2008, 07:16 PM   #351
General Mike
Pro Starter

Meltzer is reporting Ken Shamrock is out. Frank Shamrock might be in.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #352
General Mike
Pro Starter

from Dave Meltzer:

Apparently Slice's camp has agreed to the Petruzelli match and it's on. Nothing has been said officially though.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #353
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And a cut saves Shamrock's life by a narrow margin.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #354
Flasch186
Coordinator

eh, Shamrock couldve snuck a win against Slice so now that'll happen probably in Jan/Feb, I am sure if ratings stay decent tonight.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #355
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
eh, Shamrock couldve snuck a win against Slice so now that'll happen probably in Jan/Feb, I am sure if ratings stay decent tonight.

At this point I have no confidence that Shamrock could beat anybody with a pulse even in Vince booked him to go over.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-04-2008 at 08:25 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #356
Flasch186
Coordinator

WOW, what a terrible ref job in the first match. The hitter stands there and basically says to the ref, "hey ref, wanna step in here? No? OK." CRACK, "how bout now? no? ok." CRACK and finally the ref, RELUCTANTLY steps in. Asshat. I hope they never use him again.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 10-04-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #357
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

would be great if Seth could pull out the win here and end the Kimbo-phenomenon
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #358
MikeVic
Head Coach

I agree.

That girl fighter earlier was pretty cute.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #359
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i missed the girls. just tuned in for the last like...45 minutes
Old 10-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #360
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

why does kimbo have a tat on one pec and hair on the other? it looks fuckin weird
Old 10-04-2008, 10:08 PM   #361
MikeVic
Head Coach

hahaha
Old 10-04-2008, 10:08 PM   #362
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

HAHAHA

that was great
Old 10-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #363
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oops.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #364
spleen1015
Coordinator

ROFL.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #365
TLK
Pro Starter

Oh my.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #366
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Oh man that was awesome.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:10 PM   #367
MikeVic
Head Coach

Poor guy.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:10 PM   #368
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

idk wtf kimbo was thinking trying to shoot on a guy who's a legit fighter who was back against the cage, but man seth made him pay by dancin around and raining down the hammer-fists.

kimbo rolling onto his back after the blows was the decider though...he rolled and didn't get seth into the guard to control it or anything, so he just kept eating fists

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-04-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:11 PM   #369
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

lol @ Kimbo
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:11 PM   #370
General Mike
Pro Starter

WTFPWNED, as they say.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #371
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And so ends primetime MMA on CBS, unless Ortiz really signs with them & they use him for a draw, without Kimbo they don't have enough oomph to keep the deal alive IMO.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #372
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

14 seconds...LOL
Old 10-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #373
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And with Kimbo's loss ends EliteXC
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #374
Flasch186
Coordinator

I disagree, Tito Ortiz, Frank Shamrock, a Ken Shamrock v. Kimbo rematch where they air the weigh in footage over and over and over.....and Carrano. It will DEFINITELY get another airing and we havnt even got the ratings yet. I will bet 3R on it.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 10-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #375
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It's like the XFL all over again
Old 10-04-2008, 10:19 PM   #376
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

love mauro "oh we gotta give kimbo a mulligan on this one" ranallo -- uhhhhh no
Old 10-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #377
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'll watch this another time for that girl.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:22 PM   #378
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Nobody should be surprised that Kimbo isn't very good, but he's still going to be a draw. He'll get at least one more fight as a draw, where he can say he learned from his last fight ect ect (or make up some excuses) then depending on how good he looks, that could be it.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:25 PM   #379
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
I disagree, Tito Ortiz, Frank Shamrock, a Ken Shamrock v. Kimbo rematch where they air the weigh in footage over and over and over.....and Carrano. It will DEFINITELY get another airing and we havnt even got the ratings yet. I will bet 3R on it.

Doesn't sound as though the organization will survive long enough for it to happen (assuming the financial details of this editorial are correct)

They had to borrow money just to get through to tonight after accruing over $50 million in debt already. Kimbo was the franchise, only Carano has any marketability to the masses & that's largely a sideshow itself (albeit a talented sideshow perhaps). They might be able to work something with Ortiz in a last ditch effort to save themselves but that's the only shot I see left for them. As fighters go, Ken is one of the best talkers left, pity the tank is so obviously empty. And Frank? Well let's be honest, do you really see him as a guy who can save a company at this stage of his career?

They'd have a better shot at drawing ratings if they went back to the roots & just showed a toughman contest from a bar somewhere.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #380
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And so ends primetime MMA on CBS, unless Ortiz really signs with them & they use him for a draw, without Kimbo they don't have enough oomph to keep the deal alive IMO.

The only guy they really promoted during commercials was Edor. Kimbo was just a side show really waiting to be exposed at some point. I'm not sure how fitting it was happening like this. They have some other guys to promote up, but are they willing to actually do that? Too bad one of the most marketable fighters they have is Gina since women fighters are a tough sell and the depth of talent just isn't there to promote up.

Lost in all of this is that Shamrock has to be pissed that he won't get the chance to be the guy to expose him.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #381
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Tito isn't going to be saving the company (or Affliction) anytime soon since he's having back surgery that will put him out for 6+ months.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #382
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

If EliteXC had been smart, they would of let Kimbo get exposed by someone they could market (maybe Brett Rogers), and that would at least of given them someone to push moving forward. They were planning on riding this Kimbo train for as long as they could though, which was a terrible business plan.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #383
TLK
Pro Starter

I'm guessing this fight did good numbers. It might be enough to get another contract out of CBS.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #384
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Nothing against Kimbo, but its nice to see the hype finally hit a bit of a wall. He would do well against fighters with similiar experience as him, but he doesnt have much of a shot against decent fighters. That said, he will still beat Shamrock. Thats just how bad Ken is nowadays.

I believe EliteXC will last just past this coming PPV they want to put on. Thats probably where the Slice/Shamrock match will take place as well as the next Carano match.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #385
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
The only guy they really promoted during commercials was Edor.

Im guessing you are talking about Fedor, and he doesnt even fight for EliteXC(and never will). Those commercials were just part of the cross promotion between Affliction and EliteXC since Affliction gave them the Arlovski/Nelson fight.

I do have to say this. I give credit to EliteXC for actually putting on a really solid card. I could care less about Kimbo, but I was really looking forward to seeing every other fight on the card. It was full of some very good fighters. You cant beat seeing Arlovski, Carano, Ninja Rua, Radach and Shields all fight for free.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #386
Flasch186
Coordinator

Welp, if that editorial is correct Elite XC will most DEF be a Showtime owned promotion because there is no way that theyll be able to get another loan in this credit cycle. HOWEVER that doesnt mean it wont have shows and continue on under their flag jon.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 10-04-2008, 10:57 PM   #387
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Kimbo needs to go back to fighting helpless fat guys. What a hack. I'm not even sure what happened. Kimbo didn't shoot, he was throwing a right and just stiffened up and fell over mid-punch. It sort of looks like Petruzelli caught him with a little bit knee and a little bit of right hand at the exact same time. Watch the fight again, but just watch Kimbo. He didn't shoot, he didn't slip, he just fell

YouTube - Kimbo Slice Vs Seth Petruzelli EliteXC

It doesn't add up though because Kimbo is an absolute rock head. Unless the knee hit harder than it appeared to, or the right hit him directly in the temple, I'm at a loss.
DrAFTjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:01 PM   #388
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

idk - my thinking was that that was sorta kimbo's attempt at a shoot or at spearing seth against the cage? it sure was awkward as hell though
Old 10-04-2008, 11:03 PM   #389
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just watched the fight and it looked to me like it was a combination of an awkward attempt to shoot and him getting caught off guard by the knee/hand combo. The other fights were all entertaining.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:01 AM   #390
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

God damnit, Kimbo. You could have been a huge star....if only you were any good.

Damn. You suck, Kimbo...back to being a bouncer or whatever. That is what washed up MMA guys do for work, right?
Old 10-05-2008, 06:37 AM   #391
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

He should have lost his last fight but hey did everything they could to make sure he wins. Then the late change in this one made me think theywere afraid he would get destroyed by Shamrock and replaced him with someone they thought would be a push over for Kimbo. Boy did that backfire.

UFC FTW
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:26 AM   #392
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

If Gina Carano had lost too the Elite XC execs would have been found hanging in their hotel rooms. As it is they are probably on a ledge somewhere.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:36 AM   #393
Calis
College Starter

I would not be the least surprised to see Gina lose to Cyborg if they schedule that fight next. That's an actual pretty interesting fight that Elite XC could setup, but man it needs to be 5 minute rounds. This 3 minute deal for the women just doesn't make sense.

We all knew this was going to happen to Kimbo, but I wouldn't have bet on it happening quite that way.

I missed something though, because I didn't even realize Arlovski was fighting on this card and I guess it was a late addition. Is he not going to fight Barnett at the next Affliction show? I was really looking forward to that one, but I'm hoping if it is off they just let Barnett face-off against Fedor next. That's still the match-up I want to see most for Fedor. I think it's a better one than versus Randy or anyone else.

Overall I thought it was a pretty good show for EliteXC. There were the two fights with lots of hugging against the cage but other than that it was an entertaining show, and even those fights were still good.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #394
Flasch186
Coordinator

Wow, you have to understand who their target audience is. It isn't us. Theyre trying to get the 'mainstream' boxing fans to switch. So a guy on a days notice, David, beats goliath and to top it off the David is a good looking kid with Pink in his hair and he leaves film on the table of him throwing his mouthpiece in the air and running around the ring in a circle. Then you have a hot chick beating up her foe and looking great in the audience an hour later. You have names like Ortiz and Shamrock thrown around and you have CBS getting what I will bet to be above average ratings.

Honestly, I think I could put together some promos and a card in 2 months that will definitely get airtime on CBS again. The stories are compelling.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 10-05-2008, 09:13 AM   #395
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
He should have lost his last fight but hey did everything they could to make sure he wins. Then the late change in this one made me think theywere afraid he would get destroyed by Shamrock and replaced him with someone they thought would be a push over for Kimbo. Boy did that backfire.

lol, nope, I dont think anyone in EliteXC was afraid Shamrock would do anything to Kimbo. Them being forced to just find someone at the last minute was the last thing they wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I missed something though, because I didn't even realize Arlovski was fighting on this card and I guess it was a late addition. Is he not going to fight Barnett at the next Affliction show? I was really looking forward to that one, but I'm hoping if it is off they just let Barnett face-off against Fedor next. That's still the match-up I want to see most for Fedor. I think it's a better one than versus Randy or anyone else.

The next Affliction show with Arlovski/Barnett was canceled(or postponed? not sure how they worded it, but ticket sales were horrible). They came to an agreement about 2 weeks ago with XC to give them Arlovski/Nelson in exchange for the promotion and Im sure something else. That was the 3rd fight on last nights card.

The next Affliction show will be in January I believe. Fedor will return and fight, although Im not sure if they have announced who. I cant see how it would not be Barnett tho.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:17 AM   #396
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

I'm afraid poor Miss Carano won't be looking so pretty in the audience after she fights Cyborg. She was eating some shots against the girl tonight and if she eats shots from Cyborg like that she will get messed up bad.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #397
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1033 View Post
The next Affliction show will be in January I believe. Fedor will return and fight, although Im not sure if they have announced who. I cant see how it would not be Barnett tho.

Barnett already said he doesn't want the Fedor fight in Jan, so the only fight that leaves is Arlovski vs Fedor, and that will be over very quickly with a sub by Fedor.

Odds are though that the next Affliction show doesn't happen, or is the last show they have.

Quote:
Wow, you have to understand who their target audience is. It isn't us. Theyre trying to get the 'mainstream' boxing fans to switch. So a guy on a days notice, David, beats goliath and to top it off the David is a good looking kid with Pink in his hair and he leaves film on the table of him throwing his mouthpiece in the air and running around the ring in a circle. Then you have a hot chick beating up her foe and looking great in the audience an hour later. You have names like Ortiz and Shamrock thrown around and you have CBS getting what I will bet to be above average ratings.

Honestly, I think I could put together some promos and a card in 2 months that will definitely get airtime on CBS again. The stories are compelling.

If the audience isn't 'us' then the mainstream boxing fans don't even know who any of those people even are, and all they see is a old wrinkly Shamrock, another one with so much metal in his mouth he couldn't fight a chicken and a smug looking gorilla with blonde hair who hasn't won a decisive fight that didn't involve Ken Shamrock since 2001.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:19 AM   #398
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1033 View Post
Im guessing you are talking about Fedor, and he doesnt even fight for EliteXC(and never will).

No, he meant Edor. Edor will return. I'm not sure Edor is, but the comercials said he would return. I hope he's ok.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:38 AM   #399
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
If the audience isn't 'us' then the mainstream boxing fans don't even know who any of those people even are, and all they see is a old wrinkly Shamrock, another one with so much metal in his mouth he couldn't fight a chicken and a smug looking gorilla with blonde hair who hasn't won a decisive fight that didn't involve Ken Shamrock since 2001.

The audience isn't "mainstream boxing fans" either, why on earth would they go after a target that small? I doubt two percent of the population could name five active boxers today, hell I'm not sure I could name more than five myself without prompting.

The target audience is anyone who's home on Saturday night's watching network TV. And that means an older cross section of America. Which means they've got to come up with a compelling story of some sort to have a hope in hell of getting people to watch.

Kimbo was a monster, a brute, an animal, meant to be an unstoppable force. That's something Joe & Sue Sixpack can follow, so can Fred & Ethel Metamucil ... But so much for that idea. Carano has a character of sorts, a "how can a girl do that" thing going. From what I gather there's potential for this Cyborg chick to be built into a character as well.

But Shamrock? At most they can get one more loss out of him, a guy more recognizable as a former WWE performer who I'm not sure could beat five well chosen FOFC'ers at this point. He's 3-8 this DECADE for God's sake and hasn't won a fight in more than four YEARS. He's more likely to die in the ring than he is to beat anything more viable than a tomato can. Ortiz? IMO, too reminiscent of boxers people already don't give a rat's ass about (i.e. more annoying than interesting) but they might be able to get one useful appearance out of him. And last night's surprise winner? I'd say they'll have a hell of a time playing the Rocky card to middle America with a guy with pink streaks in his hair.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-05-2008 at 11:39 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #400
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
'd say they'll have a hell of a time playing the Rocky card to middle America with a guy with pink streaks in his hair.

To be fair here, I think he had pink streaks in his hair for National Breast Cancer Awareness month which I know he didn't mention, but I think he was so blown away by the moment considering he wasn't even going to be on TV initially.