Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #101
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I was responding to Ksyrup, who said:

Quote:
40 yards from the goal, it's irrelevant whether the hair on a guy's elbow is offsides.

So I pointed out the offside rule applying from the halfway line (to the opponents touch line) has been the rule since offside began. So 40 yard out, 20 yard out, 5 yard out - doesn't matter. If you are offside on the other side of the half line, you are off.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 12-21-2020 at 09:40 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #102
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I once got a red card after going off on a ref when I was called offside standing on our team's half of the field. Their defense had pushed up, and left me alone in the circle by the midfield line. The card was rescinded after review.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #103
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I was responding to Ksyrup, who said:

So I pointed out the offside rule applying from the halfway line (to the opponents touch line) has been the rule since offside began. So 40 yard out, 20 yard out, 5 yard out - doesn't matter. If you are offside on the other side of the half line, you are off.

Got you - as it was directly after my post I thought you were replying to me, which was where my confusion lay!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:51 AM   #104
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh THIS would go down real well amongst people in this thread.

Me included.

(SARCASM TAG)

NBCSN's days are numbered as a channel, predicts TV industry reporter - World Soccer Talk
Old 12-23-2020, 11:26 AM   #105
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I mean one prognosticator doesn't make a thing happen. Though (as much as I despise WST) the author is correct that NBC drastically overpaid for Premier League rights and are losing boatloads on it. It would be interesting if someone like Amazon bought the rights starting in 2022.

Old 12-26-2020, 10:12 AM   #106
miami_fan
Coordinator

It is a bit of a technicality because I could see it being his second yellow but there is no way that last challenge by Tyrone Mings was a straight red card.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:52 PM   #107
miami_fan
Coordinator

This Arsenal vs Chelsea game is why I could never bet on sports.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-26-2020, 01:17 PM   #108
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well Arsenal is doing their best to help the bookies

Edit: and as I say that Chelsea botches the Penalty.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 12-26-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:10 PM   #109
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am guessing this was expected.

MLS informs players' union that it will invoke force majeure clause in CBA - source
Old 01-02-2021, 10:31 AM   #110
miami_fan
Coordinator

For all the small stuff that we have seen players sent off for, Zaha has to go for that one. Just silliness.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:28 AM   #111
miami_fan
Coordinator

A goalkeeper born, raised and for the most part trained is starting for a Pep Guardiola team today. I know U.S. internationals playing abroad are no big deal nowadays but this one is really cool to see. Good luck to Zack Steffen.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:32 AM   #112
AlexB
Pro Starter

Most of the time, when your a fan of one of the teams playing, even a bad game is absorbing. The first hour of Leicester Newcastle was terrible even as a City fan!
Old 01-03-2021, 10:40 AM   #113
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Most of the time, when your a fan of one of the teams playing, even a bad game is absorbing. The first hour of Leicester Newcastle was terrible even as a City fan!

I did not even make it for an hour. After about 20 minutes, I switched to Dortmund v Wolfsburg. I am seriously considering putting Newcastle on my no watching list.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:07 AM   #114
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Did Sears/KMart ever reach out to Sam Allardyce? Seems like he would have been perfect for them.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:17 PM   #115
miami_fan
Coordinator

What am I missing that makes the first goal in the Man City/Aston Villa controversial? It seemed pretty clear to me that once the defender touch the ball, the offside is null and void.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:44 PM   #116
Ksyrup

Sounds like the rule is controversial in that you can just lurk offsides and take advantage of the situation by immediately attacking the first player who touches the ball without penalty.

The rule's the rule, so I don't know why they went crazy right then and there as if the call was wrong.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #117
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

It's controversial because moneybags brown-owned City went to the top of the league with that goal. Ex-footballers, who of all people should know the fucking rule, are crying about it.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #118
AlexB
Pro Starter

I’ve just watched it on YouTube - that is ridiculous.

He was literally 10 yards offside when the ball was headed forward - it must be within the rules if it went through all the checks, but it’s another example of the laws need changing (back to what they were in this instance, as that has been offside every other year)

He clearly gained an advantage by being in an offside position
Old 01-20-2021, 05:28 PM   #119
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I’ve just watched it on YouTube - that is ridiculous.

He was literally 10 yards offside when the ball was headed forward - it must be within the rules if it went through all the checks, but it’s another example of the laws need changing (back to what they were in this instance, as that has been offside every other year)

He clearly gained an advantage by being in an offside position

That is not a rule that has been changed anytime recently.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:53 PM   #120
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
That is not a rule that has been changed anytime recently.

4-5 years ago.(I would have guessed - looks like 10-11 in fact after a quick google)

Much like the flag 20 seconds after a clear offside (someone will get badly injured soon), it needs changing.

It was a goal by the rules, but the rule is an ass.

It’s a similar situation to a Ruud van Nistelrooy goal for United years ago: he hung around miles offside to exploit something similar, and then the rule was amended.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:01 PM   #121
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I would have no problem if they changed the rule. I do have a problem with certain pundits that played for certain teams making a stink about it for the first time in their lives today.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 01-20-2021 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:07 PM   #122
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

So Matthew Hoppe keeps scoring goals.

I almost feel like the US needs 3 or 4 separate youth national teams, like literally different teams for each region. It's so large that theres way too many kids being missed. I know there's ODP and what not, but they need to democratize it better.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:12 AM   #123
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
I would have no problem if they changed the rule. I do have a problem with certain pundits that played for certain teams making a stink about it for the first time in their lives today.

Thinking about it I reckon the way around it is to make it like the NFL rule about running out of bounds - you cannot be the first one to touch the ball after coming from an offside position if it is deemed a previous phase

Or at the very least, make it like the being forced out of bounds rule: they have to reestablish themselves before playing the ball. It was that the tackle came from behind that was the most egregious thing about yesterday’s goal.

I think anybody that has played or knows football a bit knows that it shouldn’t be allowed, but the refs were right under the current half-assed rules.

Last edited by AlexB : 01-21-2021 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:34 AM   #124
AlexB
Pro Starter

Also yesterday evening...

Here’s my issue with the Man City goal - the law says (emphasis added by me):

Quote:
"A player in an offside position receives the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent.

Rodri didn’t receive the ball - he took it. If Mings had passed the ball to the keeper and Rodri was there, fair enough. But for him to tackle Mings, nah, not having it.

Man City have the best team and are going to win the league, they don’t need any help!
Old 01-22-2021, 02:48 PM   #125
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I mean one prognosticator doesn't make a thing happen. Though (as much as I despise WST) the author is correct that NBC drastically overpaid for Premier League rights and are losing boatloads on it. It would be interesting if someone like Amazon bought the rights starting in 2022.

No, but apparently it is now happening by the end of the year.

Cable Network NBCSN To Go Dark By Year-End, With Live Events Shifting To Peacock, USA – Deadline
Old 01-22-2021, 02:57 PM   #126
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well looks like I was wrong about that. I guess it makes a bit more sense why more games may be on Peacock if NBCSN is going away. Apparently some sports will go to USA Network.

Wonder if it's a first major channel casualty of cord cutting. (And perhaps an acknowledgement that wouldn't keep NHL and therefore didn't have enough to keep the network going)

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 01-22-2021 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:24 PM   #127
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Watching wolves-Chorley play in the FA cup. Soccer is so weirdly wonderful when you can see one of the best clubs in the world play on the road against as teams whos home pitch is a high school field and the players probably have normal jobs.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:31 PM   #128
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

Here's a pretty notable detail in that article

Quote:
Commencing later this year, USA Network will begin carrying and/or simulcasting certain NBC Sports programming, including NHL Stanley Cup Playoff games and NASCAR races, as part of a larger transition within the Company.

I can't help but wonder how much is the decline of NBCSN and how much is a need to try to fluff rating on USA with WWE kinda in the toilet
Old 01-22-2021, 05:53 PM   #129
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Watching wolves-Chorley play in the FA cup. Soccer is so weirdly wonderful when you can see one of the best clubs in the world play on the road against as teams whos home pitch is a high school field and the players probably have normal jobs.

One of the Chorley players started work as an apprentice electrician on Monday and had to ask for Thursday and Friday off for today's game.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:41 PM   #130
bhlloy
Coordinator

NBCSN is an interesting channel - it has some good stuff on at times and then at time it just has absolute fluff that I can't believe anyone watches. I can see why they want to consolidate programming, and if it pushes more people to Peacock as well, mission accomplished i guess.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:01 AM   #131
miami_fan
Coordinator

Lampard out!

Lampard sacked as Chelsea manager; Tuchel lined up as replacement
Old 01-26-2021, 09:56 AM   #132
miami_fan
Coordinator

New interpretation of the law that governed the Silva goal

Quote:
“Where a player in an offside position immediately impacts on an opponent who has deliberately played the ball, the match officials should prioritise challenging an opponent for the ball, and thus the offside offence of ‘interfering with an opponent by impacting on the opponent’s ability to play the ball’ should be penalised.

“However, it is important to remember that where a player in an offside position receives the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (e.g. a misplaced pass or miskick), including by deliberate handball, the player is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent.”

So how long does the offside player have to wait before he can impact the opponent's ability to play the ball. We now know that chest to feet is not enough time. What if he heads then brings down on his chest and then to feet? Five seconds?

I don't mind changing the law if you feel it is a bad law. But this new interpretation BS has to stop. Write the laws of the game in a way to govern exactly how you want the game to be played!
Old 01-28-2021, 03:10 PM   #133
Ksyrup

This has been a great game to watch so far.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:21 AM   #134
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am trying to figure out what the American sports equivalent of the Man United 9-0 demolishing of Southampton. Specifically 5 goals in the last 20 minutes against 10 and then 9 men. This would definitely be one of those showing up their fellow professionals, running up the score, etc. type of games. Maybe this is stealing bases up 15 runs with one out in the ninth. I think it is that extreme.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:27 AM   #135
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am trying to figure out what the American sports equivalent of the Man United 9-0 demolishing of Southampton. Specifically 5 goals in the last 20 minutes against 10 and then 9 men. This would definitely be one of those showing up their fellow professionals, running up the score, etc. type of games. Maybe this is stealing bases up 15 runs with one out in the ninth. I think it is that extreme.

A lot of these guys have goal incentives in their contracts, I have no issue with it except I bet the under 3.5 goals in the game.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:25 AM   #136
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
A lot of these guys have goal incentives in their contracts, I have no issue with it except I bet the under 3.5 goals in the game.

I don't have an issue with it either but you know what I am talking about. It is just an interesting contrast in sports culture to me. Southampton got absolutely crushed by the fans and media yesterday even though they were a man short for most of the game and then two men short for the last 5 minutes. Man United actually got credit, well as much credit as anyone is willing to give them for their performance. It was a real life embodiment of it not being the opponent's job to stop trying to score, it is your job to stop them. This is not forcing a guy apologizing for swinging on a 3-0 pitch with a seven run lead in the eighth.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:20 PM   #137
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Somewhere Brian McCann is shaking his fists....
Old 02-03-2021, 12:37 PM   #138
Ksyrup

Leicester did the same thing to Southampton in fall of 2019. On the road. When people could still attend games!

That's got to be worse than yesterday.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:43 PM   #139
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Seems like the rules difference makes this apples to oranges

There's definite benefit to beating the blue hell out of an opponent in PL play

Quote:
If any clubs finish with the same number of points, their position in the Premier League table is determined by goal difference, then the number of goals scored. If the teams still cannot be separated, they will be awarded the same position in the table.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:25 PM   #140
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Yeah, United can use that big result to beat the rest of the competition to a second place league finish.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:09 AM   #141
miami_fan
Coordinator

Europa League: Ajax record-signing Haller mistakenly omitted from squad list

If only they can go back to one of their backup saves
Old 02-05-2021, 08:50 AM   #142
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Europa League: Ajax record-signing Haller mistakenly omitted from squad list

If only they can go back to one of their backup saves

auto select button strikes again
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:24 PM   #143
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

MLS avoids a lockout at the last second. But it looks like players rolled over again as the owners get their additional 2 years in the CBA (most of the player benefits are backloaded to after they would have negotiated a new deal anyways) Though maybe the media rights part will pay off.

Old 02-06-2021, 01:43 PM   #144
Critch
lolzcat

VAR giving Mike Dean a chance to make himself star of the show again, second time in a week. Sent off Soucek in the last minute for accidentally bumping Mitrovic.

Expect it to be the second time this week a red card he's given after watching multiple replays will be overturned. Which really means he's unfit to referee a game.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:16 PM   #145
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Sun is shining, weather is sweet
Old 02-07-2021, 03:24 PM   #146
miami_fan
Coordinator

Well they do say that Alisson (and Ederson to be fair) is due for one of those kind of games a year.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:44 AM   #147
miami_fan
Coordinator

So we couldn't just laugh at Mike Dean's decisions and leave it at that huh?

Mike Dean: Referee notifies police over death threats to family - BBC Sport
Old 02-08-2021, 03:17 PM   #148
AlexB
Pro Starter

Jamie Carragher throws himself under the bus at halftime (poor sound quality, needs turning up - perfectly SFW)

Old 02-13-2021, 08:11 AM   #149
miami_fan
Coordinator

What the hell was that by Alisson?
Old 02-13-2021, 08:46 AM   #150
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

You'll never walk alone (unless your last name is Karius and now probably Alisson as welllllllllllll)

Edit: I guess it would be Becker, not Alisson lol

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 02-13-2021 at 10:06 AM.