Medical Only - I use/would use 0 0%
Medical Only - I would not/don't use 7 9.09%
Should not be legal at all 1 1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2021, 12:38 PM   #1
BYU 14
Coordinator

Views on Marijuana Today

There were a couple of polls on Marijuana legalization/interest in using about 12 years ago. Just curious to see how the opinions of the board has changed, if at all. I know the political leaning since then has moved a little further left, so I am interested to see if that has an impact.

Your views on marijuana legalization - Front Office Football Central

If Marijuana was legal would you smoke it - Front Office Football Central

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:52 PM   #2
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Just so I know, what's the fine line between decriminalize and legalize?
Old 04-17-2021, 01:01 PM   #3
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Decriminalization means no longer enforcing laws on small amounts of personal use/ownership. Legalization is allowing all personal use, taxing and regulation.
It should be legal, but I doubt I'd ever be a regular user. Might try a edible someday.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-17-2021 at 01:01 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:03 PM   #4
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Just so I know, what's the fine line between decriminalize and legalize?

Legalize meaning it can be purchased/personally grown in all states legally for recreational use, likely regulated at the federal level and all non-trafficking MJ offenses expunged.

Decriminalized - Rescheduled by the federal government and left to the states to fully legalize and regulate without interference. Federal research dollars now allowed to be used for research and all non-trafficking MJ offenses expunged.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:16 PM   #5
Atocep
Coordinator

I live in a legalized state where there's nearly as many weed shops as there are starbucks and it's weird speaking to friends/family from other states when they talk about weed as some taboo thing.

I don't smoke or use weed. I tried some oil to help with anxiety and it didn't really do anything for me, but I honestly don't understand why it's just not legal. Washington and Colorado haven't seen the doom and gloom that was predicted. There's very little downside.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:32 PM   #6
BYU 14
Coordinator

I was adamantly against weed most of my adult life, but got my Medical card 4+ years ago to deal with osteoarthritis from a lifetime of sports, physical activity and of course just aging.

It has been a god send and I use low THC, high CBD strains and edibles to sleep and relieve pain at the end of the day, as well as CBD only pre/post workout.

The science has evolved so much and I allowed myself to be lead down the fear path for too long with all the gateway/weed is the devil BS.

I would like to see full legalization, but selected decriminalization in the poll, only because that is the most likely first step right onw and because it would allow more thorough research/engineering. Plus, let the states benefit from the revenue.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:18 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I remain where I've been for decades:
Possession, first offense = 366 days imprisionment
Possession, second offense = capital crime
Old 04-17-2021, 02:29 PM   #8
BYU 14
Coordinator

Would be interested in hearing why exactly Jon, and honestly out of no other reason than curiosity. Especially as someone who used to have strong anti-Marijuana views at one point in my life.

Side question, do you think Marijuana is more of a public health hazard than alcohol or RX pain meds?
Old 04-17-2021, 02:30 PM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Harsh! I guess not surprising I s’pose.

I’ve never used any illegal drug. I favor legalization and taxation. I’d probably try it at some point. Maybe.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:31 PM   #10
miami_fan
Coordinator

I have always been pro cannabis. The fear of cannabis never matched what I was seeing growing up around people who used, especially when compared to those who used alcohol. I support full legalization. That should have happened decades ago.

As far as usage goes, I have never used cannabis. I can't even say that being in the military stopped me from using it. I was around it most of my childhood and did not use. I have been to Amsterdam three times and had beers outside of multiple shops since I retired and never tried. I am sure I qualify for a Medical card now. I just have never had any interest in trying. I am one of those people who irrationally just deals with the pain. When I stop being stubborn and decide to do things to subside the pain outside of grinning and bearing it, cannabis will probably be my go to.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:52 PM   #11
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I have always been pro cannabis. The fear of cannabis never matched what I was seeing growing up around people who used, especially when compared to those who used alcohol. I support full legalization. That should have happened decades ago.

As far as usage goes, I have never used cannabis. I can't even say that being in the military stopped me from using it. I was around it most of my childhood and did not use. I have been to Amsterdam three times and had beers outside of multiple shops since I retired and never tried. I am sure I qualify for a Medical card now. I just have never had any interest in trying. I am one of those people who irrationally just deals with the pain. When I stop being stubborn and decide to do things to subside the pain outside of grinning and bearing it, cannabis will probably be my go to.

This part was 100% me prior to finally getting my card, even after my views began to soften on it.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:04 PM   #12
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

Some quick math suggests that would cost at least a trillion dollars every year to lock up the 30MM Americans that identify as regular cannabis users (let alone execute them). We'd be fools NOT to do it, at those prices!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-17-2021 at 03:05 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 03:31 PM   #13
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I've never used it. At this age, even if it were legal, I might just pass. Too old for that shit and all that.

Of course it should be legal.

Even if it were a more harmful drug than tobacco or alcohol (it isn't), the social good of not letting police justify shitting on the 4th Amendment by claiming "smell of marijuana" every time they feel like snooping somewhere would make full legalization a no brainer.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 03:41 PM   #14
tarcone
Coordinator

Edibles are the way to go.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:10 PM   #15
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I've never used it. At this age, even if it were legal, I might just pass. Too old for that shit and all that.

Of course it should be legal.

Even if it were a more harmful drug than tobacco or alcohol (it isn't), the social good of not letting police justify shitting on the 4th Amendment by claiming "smell of marijuana" every time they feel like snooping somewhere would make full legalization a no brainer.

It's especially rich to support harsh penalties for marijuana use when one is loudly and proudly addicted to a much more harmful drug that is only arbitrarily legal. If you were looking at the health-related downsides of marijuana vs. tobacco, it'd be an easy decision to choose tobacco as the illegal drug based the the tremendous harm it has inflicted on our citizens and the increased costs that all of us bear in the healthcare system because of its use. But instead, we are all forced to subsidize the poor choices of people who make the decision to smoke despite knowing all of the terrible costs associated with the choice.

Last edited by Kodos : 04-17-2021 at 04:12 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:20 PM   #16
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'd be all for full legalization, and I'd likely be a potential user in the future, under the right circumstances. I do think that there needs to be a way to handle it like alcohol intoxication and motor vehicles, with a quick field test, and it would be nice to have a product that wasn't so intense and offensive in public. That seems to be my perspective based on traveling, that public places where its legal, now just perpetually smell like pot.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:18 PM   #17
BYU 14
Coordinator

I honestly don't get smoking it when there are so many other effective ways to partake that are less harmful to your body. I use edibles and vape flower, which produces a very slight odor, that quickly dissipates and doesn't fill your lungs with carcinogens.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:46 PM   #18
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

I bought some 2 mg edibles now that it's legal a couple weeks ago. I've never had any sort of thc before. I've had a couple beers, any negative to me opening the package and trying for the first time tonight?
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:55 PM   #19
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCub View Post
I bought some 2 mg edibles now that it's legal a couple weeks ago. I've never had any sort of thc before. I've had a couple beers, any negative to me opening the package and trying for the first time tonight?

Nah, but I'd stick with just 1 of the 2 mgs first if it's your first time. The classic rookie mistake is taking one, not feeling anything right away, and then taking another.

(Though 2X 2Mgs would be fine too. I wouldn't go any more than that the first time).

Last edited by molson : 04-17-2021 at 07:59 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:03 PM   #20
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCub View Post

Just go slow. Edibles are good for new users because of the easy consumption and horrible for new users because of the 30-60 minute onset time and variance in reaction. It's relatively common for new users to overcompensate for not feeling anything after 20-30 minutes and then doubling up the dosage to their regret an hour later. And alcohol will increase the effect to some degree.

Edit: I guess it took me half an hour to write that, cuz by the time I hit post molson had already said the same thing 15 minutes earlier.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-17-2021 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:07 PM   #21
BYU 14
Coordinator

Agree, 2-5 MG for your first dose is good.

Hell my fav edible is 3/1 CBD/THC and only 5 MG THC and I am still good with that. I never take more than 10 MG at a time, but again I am not a constant consumer, I usually only do anything an hour before bed.

It also depends on if it is indica or Sativa too
Old 04-17-2021, 08:19 PM   #22
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I have literally no reaction to edibles, which I think is a physiological thing rather than strictly a tolerance thing. I drank a 750mg tincture in one shot to finally prove it one way or the other last year. I guess there's a specific gene that controls how you breakdown cannabis and it can be too efficient:

Why Don't Edibles Get Me High? (You're Not Alone) & The Science Of Why
Old 04-17-2021, 08:24 PM   #23
Edward64
Head Coach

I picked Legalize and would use. Assume that is use responsibly like alcohol and some sort of age limit.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-17-2021 at 08:24 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:02 PM   #24
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Legalize it. Don't criticize it.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:22 PM   #25
Izulde
Head Coach

The financial benefits for the state alone from a legalization perspective makes this a no-brainer.

Can't wait for Wisconsin to finally catch up with the times if the feds don't do it before then.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:31 AM   #26
thesloppy
Pro Starter

One crucial difference between legalization & decriminalization is that as long as it remains federally illegal it is practically impossible to get financing/small business loans for marijuana businesses through federally regulated banks or credit unions. It's been suggested that serves as (one of the) bottlenecks keeping people of color underrepresented in cannabis businesses and also favors big corporations over independent small business owners.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-18-2021 at 01:31 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:40 AM   #27
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I have literally no reaction to edibles, which I think is a physiological thing rather than strictly a tolerance thing. I drank a 750mg tincture in one shot to finally prove it one way or the other last year. I guess there's a specific gene that controls how you breakdown cannabis and it can be too efficient:

Why Don't Edibles Get Me High? (You're Not Alone) & The Science Of Why
I am worried about this as well with my previous experience many years ago. My oldest sister has always been a heavy pot user (well, I think maybe she doesn't use now). My first experiences with pot was with her. The first two times I smoked it, I got nothing. I mean zero anything but burning lungs. I felt like pot was just all hype. Then my third time using....
I smoked half a joint with her in her car. When I got out, the world sort of felt tilty. As I went to go into her house, I passed out face first off her porch. She had to literally drag me into her house. I was f-ed.

The next time I smoked any (probably over a year and half later because that freaked me out), I was with a friend. We had smoked a little outside his house. Got up to go in and nearly passed out again, and then proceeded to vomit.
All of that kept me from ever being a regular user. I did smoke a few times after that, but though I never passed out or got vomiting ill again, I usually had some pretty high paranoia levels. I don't know why I went from no sensitivity to an almost hyper-sensitivity. I just have a weird metabolism for it.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:07 AM   #28
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Although I have not, and likely never will, use drugs for recreational purposes, I would be in favor of decriminalizing a lot of drugs if we had far harsher penalties for the things that people do while intoxicated. As it is, we don't punish people enough for drinking and driving, so I really am not interested in increasing the number of legal drugs until we decide to take personal responsibility for your actions more seriously.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:49 AM   #29
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Legalize meaning it can be purchased/personally grown in all states legally for recreational use, likely regulated at the federal level and all non-trafficking MJ offenses expunged.

Decriminalized - Rescheduled by the federal government and left to the states to fully legalize and regulate without interference. Federal research dollars now allowed to be used for research and all non-trafficking MJ offenses expunged.

While I do think it should be legalized, I also think that it should be left to the individual states to make that decision for themselves.

I also have no plans to partake in MJ anywhere in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 04-18-2021 at 11:51 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:15 PM   #30
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Also,

Why did we need a constitutional amendment to ban alcohol but we don't need one for other drugs?
Old 04-18-2021, 12:32 PM   #31
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Also,

Why did we need a constitutional amendment to ban alcohol but we don't need one for other drugs?

How the interpretation of the commerce clause evolved is probably part of it.

It would have been unconstitutional for the legislature to regulate alcohol produced and sold within a state then. Which was probably a lot of the alcohol.

Later, the Supreme Court interpreted the commerce clause as giving congress authority to regulate pretty much everything because everything impacts interstate commerce if you look at it more broadly, even goods that don't travel interstate themselves. Thanks to that broadened interpretation, we got things like the Civil Rights Act (which regulated things like motels, and therefore, interstate commerce), and also, lots and lots of drug laws.

Last edited by molson : 04-18-2021 at 06:01 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:38 AM   #32
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

This is the most absurd thing you've ever said, and that's impressive - congratulations, lunatic.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:09 PM   #33
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I'd do edibles
smoking isn't for me
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:11 PM   #34
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Edibles are the way to go.

brownies fulla love
Old 04-23-2021, 01:34 PM   #35
pantera
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
If you were looking at the health-related downsides of marijuana vs. tobacco, it'd be an easy decision to choose tobacco as the illegal drug based the the tremendous harm it has inflicted on our citizens and the increased costs that all of us bear in the healthcare system because of its use. But instead, we are all forced to subsidize the poor choices of people who make the decision to smoke despite knowing all of the terrible costs associated with the choice.
^^^ This is where I am. And I don't have any plans to be a marijuana user in the future.
pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:55 PM   #36
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

just where is bloodbuzz, korme? sounds like a dystopian car-based racing society
Old 04-23-2021, 06:01 PM   #37
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Curious if there is some rationale for this....unique stance.

I don't begrudge your point of view in this case - I'm personally in favor of legalizing every drug - but I'm stumped here, particularly because there is no logical argument against legalization that doesn't also apply to alcohol. If there is, I'd like to hear it.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:05 PM   #38
tarcone
Coordinator

Im for legalizing all drugs as well.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:04 PM   #39
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I didn't vote to legalize it in Colorado but it really hasn't been a problem here. Haven't used it in a long time, will probably try edibles eventually and will definitely go for CBD if I ever have chronic pain issues. Had our dog on CBD to help control her epileptic seizures for a few years.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:17 PM   #40
cuervo72
Head Coach

Thread title makes it sound like there's a talk show called Marijuana Today.

I used to be very much against pot, dismissive of "lazy stoners." Now, I really could care less. I'm not going to use it, but eh, have at it. Especially if it can help with anxiety, etc.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:23 PM   #41
BYU 14
Coordinator

Pretty dramatic shift in 12 years since the original thread, though some of that may be attributable to the general shift in political leanings on the board too, which seem much more liberal than back then.

Legal in some form - 71%
illegal - 29%

Now Legal in some form - 98.5%
Illegal - 1.5%
Old 04-23-2021, 10:10 PM   #42
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Thread title makes it sound like there's a talk show called Marijuana Today.

I used to be very much against pot, dismissive of "lazy stoners." Now, I really could care less. I'm not going to use it, but eh, have at it. Especially if it can help with anxiety, etc.

i'd watch that show. I can also see it as a magazine in a dr's office
Old 04-24-2021, 09:54 PM   #43
Suicane75
Coordinator

Legalize it, but only within a 250ft radius of Jon.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:58 PM   #44
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Old 04-26-2021, 07:56 AM   #45
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Pretty dramatic shift in 12 years since the original thread, though some of that may be attributable to the general shift in political leanings on the board too, which seem much more liberal than back then.

Legal in some form - 71%
illegal - 29%

Now Legal in some form - 98.5%
Illegal - 1.5%

It does not look like it is just FOFC has shifted.

Americans From Both Parties Want Weed To Be Legal. Why Doesn’t The Federal Government Agree? | FiveThirtyEight
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:17 AM   #46
JuniEdith
n00b

Legalizing, taxing, and regulating is good for the economy and creates jobs. By simply levying a tax on marijuana like we do cigarettes and alcohol, state and local governments could raise billions a year.

Last edited by JuniEdith : 07-21-2021 at 01:41 PM.
JuniEdith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:17 AM   #47
GrantDawg

The bot spitting truths.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:24 AM   #48
JuniEdith
n00b

Just sharing my thoughts.ain't a bot
JuniEdith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:27 AM   #49