Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-21-2006, 10:52 PM   #851
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD

I can't wait until my Cowboys meet your fake little Outlaws team on the GEFL field. It will be a slaughter for the ages...

As much as it will pain me to do...I will have to give the Boys an a$$-whipping they won't soon forget.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:00 PM   #852
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Who knows if the poor Colonials can ever dig out of the hole Jeeber put them in.

Says the man whose team just tied the franchise record for longest losing streak...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:01 PM   #853
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

RE: Release Info - 2/22/2006 5:01:19 AM
Erik Rutins
Administrator

Ok, I just got off a conference call with David Heath and David Winter. We are going to play this by ear at the moment as we hope that the delay we are dealing with here will be minimal. We are planning for Thursday now, but we will be keeping you informed regardless. Our continuing testing of the final gold master found some OS-related issues that did not come up in prior testing. Our policy is to fix such issues before release and that's the decision we ended up making here together with David. David Winter has discussed things with us and we believe this can be addressed in a short period of time, hopefully tonight. We will be evaluating this tomorrow and as soon as we are sure that the issue is resolved, we will move forward with the release.

Everyone involved here is going to be pulling some long hours, so we ask for your understanding. Our goal is to make sure we deliver the best possible game, so if we have to slip a couple of days in the scheme of things to do that, we feel it's well worth the trade-off.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development and Business Relations

(in reply to arctcat)
Report | Post #: 9
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:01 PM   #854
JeeberD
General Manager

*chortle*

Old 02-21-2006, 11:04 PM   #855
st.cronin
General Manager

If David Winters went to graduate school, how long would it take him to finish his dissertation?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:05 PM   #856
SFL Cat
College Starter

David Winter: Thursday, huh?! Crap...I guess I'd better actually start coding this game now.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:06 PM   #857
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Gold Master. You keep on using that term. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:07 PM   #858
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I see his wife is out defending him in threads, that is always good for a laugh. And I'm thinking that my idea of a Gold Master and the one the Maximum guys have has gotta be vastly different.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:08 PM   #859
Tasan
College Starter

...it just keeps going on and on my friends...
Old 02-21-2006, 11:11 PM   #860
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

FWIW, this thread is now top 10 all-time in page views in the general discussion forum.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:15 PM   #861
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
FWIW, this thread is now top 10 all-time in page views in the general discussion forum.

We better get to posting, because the party is DEFINATELY OVER come Thursday. Guaranteed.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:15 PM   #862
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:

Amazing, I might have to buy the game just for that reason.

*cough* if it's ever released *cough*
Old 02-21-2006, 11:17 PM   #863
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
We better get to posting, because the party is DEFINATELY OVER come Thursday. Guaranteed.
Why do I not fear this in the least bit?
Old 02-21-2006, 11:21 PM   #864
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This is actually good news for me. I now have more time to design the uniforms for my Star Trek Universe league. The players are all starships and the field is the size of the galaxy. The ball is a torpedo filled with Spock's body.

I'm still looking for a coach for the Klingons, but be warned that all plays have to be coded in Klingon and Worf is by rule on the Federation team. If anyone's interested let me know after release.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:28 PM   #865
SFL Cat
College Starter

Kewl! I'm in, but only if I can be the Gorns!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:34 PM   #866
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat
David Winter: Thursday, huh?! Crap...I guess I'd better actually start coding this game now.

Thursday of what year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:35 PM   #867
JeeberD
General Manager

And leave it up to Sui to ask the tough questions...

Old 02-21-2006, 11:36 PM   #868
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

Which will be taken as trolling, no doubt.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:38 PM   #869
sabotai
General Manager

This seriously made me laugh out loud: "so if we have to slip a couple of days in the scheme of things to do that, we feel it's well worth the trade-off."
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:41 PM   #870
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon
Thursday of what year?
You complete me.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:42 PM   #871
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Which will be taken as trolling, no doubt.
great question by Sui.

and let's not all forget...there won't be a demo for this game. so you'll be buying it on blind faith. blind faith for a game that has been 5 years in development and has been "days from release" for several years now.

yeahhhhhh i can't wait to see how that works out

no demo=no consideration from me. period
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:48 PM   #872
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
This seriously made me laugh out loud: "so if we have to slip a couple of days in the scheme of things to do that, we feel it's well worth the trade-off."
I guess when you actually count it up, lets see:
365 * 6 (We'll say they 'started' actual dev in 2000, give them 1999 as a concept year) = 2190.

2190+2 (for leap years) = 2192

2192 + 31 (for Jan) = 2223

2223 + 21 (for up til the 'release' date) = 2244

2244 total days from the start of 2000 working on this.

2 / 2244 (for the two days they are 'delaying') = .0000089%

I'd say thats not asking much

to get the best darn football game evern, doggoneit!

Last edited by Tasan : 02-21-2006 at 11:49 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:52 PM   #873
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

and it has started. i don't have the skillz to do the pretty "pasting from the matrix forums" thing, but here ya go

elmerlee
Matrix Trooper

Status: online I'm sorry people but I have now completely given up on this product.The only smart move now is to wait for a month or so after release and see if the bugs are ironed out.No way the fisrt release can be worth its salt.

How did a well respected company like Matrix get involved in such a sloppy situation as Maximum Football??????

They maybe should have stuck with a legend like Steel Panthers.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:54 PM   #874
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

link?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:55 PM   #875
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

hxxp://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1067644
Old 02-21-2006, 11:58 PM   #876
SFL Cat
College Starter

It's almost like watching a train wreck in slo-mo. I feel kind of bad for DW and Matrix, but I just can't look away from the debacle.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:02 AM   #877
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

My bad.

Last edited by dawgfan : 02-22-2006 at 12:07 AM.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:05 AM   #878
SFL Cat
College Starter

ummm....

The gold or general availability release version of a product is the final version of a particular product. It is typically almost identical to the final release candidate, with only last-minute bugs fixed. A gold release is considered to be very stable and relatively bug-free with a quality suitable for wide distribution and use by end users. In commercial software releases, this version may also be signed (used to allow end-users to verify that code has not been modified since the release). The expression that a software product "has gone gold" means that the code has been completed and "is being mass-produced and will be for sale soon." Other terms for the version include gold master, gold release, or gold build.

The term gold anecdotally refers to the use of "gold master disc" which was commonly used to send the final version to manufacturers who use it to create the mass-produced retail copies. It may in this context be a hold-over from music production. In some cases, however, the master disc is still actually made of gold, for both aesthetic appeal and resistance to corrosion.

Microsoft and others use the term "release to manufacturing" (RTM) to refer to this version (as in, "Build 2600 is the Windows XP RTM release").
Old 02-22-2006, 12:07 AM   #879
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Whoops, mixed up release candidate and gone gold.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:11 AM   #880
Thornbird
n00b

I just hope this game gets released soon cuz it's starting to get ridiculous. I know Dave can be arrogant at times but I'm still hoping this is a good game because this is the only PC football game with graphics that we're gonna see besides Madden. EA just keeps taking out features and adding crappy ones and they hose the PC version even worse.

If this game fails then NFL Head Coach and Division Rivals are the last hope Well actually just Division Rivals cuz EA will most likely put restrictions to the game.

Thornbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:26 AM   #881
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornbird
I just hope this game gets released soon cuz it's starting to get ridiculous. I know Dave can be arrogant at times but I'm still hoping this is a good game because this is the only PC football game with graphics that we're gonna see besides Madden. EA just keeps taking out features and adding crappy ones and they hose the PC version even worse.

If this game fails then NFL Head Coach and Division Rivals are the last hope Well actually just Division Rivals cuz EA will most likely put restrictions to the game.
Hate to burst your bubble, but there's virtually no chance a developer the size of David Winter will be able to produce anything in the same area code as EA in terms of a 3D graphics football game. They just don't have the resources to compete in that arena.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:09 AM   #882
Thornbird
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Hate to burst your bubble, but there's virtually no chance a developer the size of David Winter will be able to produce anything in the same area code as EA in terms of a 3D graphics football game. They just don't have the resources to compete in that arena.

Yes I realize it can't possibly compete in the graphics department it is obvious in screenshots but graphics aren't everything.

Thornbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:09 AM   #883
bbor
Pro Starter

Must stop refreshing this thread.....

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:13 AM   #884
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yes I realize it can't possibly compete in the graphics department it is obvious in screenshots but graphics aren't everything.

You are correct. Graphics are NOT everything.

Customization is, chillld.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:19 AM   #885
MikeVic
Head Coach

I've never heard of this game before, but from what I've skimmed in this thread, should be a winnar?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:08 AM   #886
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
OK, but I don't get your original point then. You say you hope it succeeds to give Madden some competition in the graphical PC football games market, but there's no chance this game can do that. Unless 2K decides to make a port of their sports games to the PC, you're going to be stuck with Madden for graphical football games on the PC that are worth a damn.

And really, since we can see that graphically this game is very primitive, Matrix is going to have to hope that the sim engine driving this thing is top-notch in order to draw any kind of audience. Do you have any confidence that this might be true?

Had Winter not been so wildly over-ambitious, he probably could've filled a nice niche by giving the text-sim market an FOF-style football sim that added simple, XOR Football type graphics to represent the action on the field. It would've been much easier for a developer of his resources to acheive and wouldn't have nearly as long to finish.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:48 AM   #887
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I think i got Matrix Software's new slogan

Matrix Software - There is no Master
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:04 AM   #888
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Had Winter not been so wildly over-ambitious, he probably could've filled a nice niche by giving the text-sim market an FOF-style football sim that added simple, XOR Football type graphics to represent the action on the field. It would've been much easier for a developer of his resources to acheive and wouldn't have nearly as long to finish.

Maybe the thing to do would have been to aim it at the single-season replay niche, if there's even such a thing for football games. Forget career mode, just churn out a series of well-researched 'season disks' for single leagues and years and sell them via download for a few bucks each. That's the only market I can really see for this thing - the career-sim guys (i.e., us) aren't interested, and I can't imagine many Madden fans giving it a second look after seeing the graphics.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:40 AM   #889
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Who knows if the poor Colonials can ever dig out of the hole Jeeber put them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:49 AM   #890
Bee
Pro Starter

You have to really give props to the guys that have been following this game for 5 or 6 years and haven't given up on it yet. There aren't too many people faithful to their wives for that long...
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:06 AM   #891
ahbrady
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
You have to really give props to the guys that have been following this game for 5 or 6 years and haven't given up on it yet. There aren't too many people faithful to their wives for that long...
True, but wives aren't customizable.
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:53 AM   #892
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahbrady
True, but wives aren't customizable.

Not sure about customizable, but mine is pretty flexible.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:54 AM   #893
Bee
Pro Starter

Dola

Not surprising the game is having OS problems...since it was originally designed for DOS.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:59 AM   #894
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Dola

Not surprising the game is having OS problems...since it was originally designed for DOS.

If only this could have been released as intended.
It would have looked great on the TRS-80.
{sigh}
What might have been
Old 02-22-2006, 07:59 AM   #895
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:

Based on the screenshots and video captures I've watched, the graphics and animation don't even look as good as FPS in its prime, which I'm assuming is the market he's trying to capture. No way this thing gets close to Madden.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:08 AM   #896
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Gold Master. You keep on using that term. I do not think it means what you think it means.

You have been on an unappreciated roll in this thread.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:09 AM   #897
Butter
Coordinator

The sad part is, how many people have actually been lurking around there to check out if the game was released? 20? Slightly more or less? I can't say that's going to be a key to commercial success. Especially if this game has no positive buzz surrounding it, and by now I'd say that is BY FAR the case. How many possible sales have they lost on these boards alone? I'd say in the neighborhood of 50, based on a pure guess.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:12 AM   #898
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
You have to really give props to the guys that have been following this game for 5 or 6 years and haven't given up on it yet.
That, or wonder about their mental condition.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:15 AM   #899
Arctus
H.S. Freshman Team

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/688/688964p3.html

Quote:
GameSpy: A few years ago at all the game conventions you saw several "boutique" developers, small companies, working on MMOs with a small team. Do you think it's still possible in this market to succeed with a product from a small team?

Richard: Well, it was a few years ago, yes. But it definitely won't be a few years from now. We're in the transition right now.
GameSpy: So looking ahead a few years, you feel that only big teams will be able to compete in this space?

Robert: Right, it's the same sort of issue as if you said you were going to compete with John Madden Football. What sort of team would it take to compete with the technology that EA has spent fifteen years refining? It would take a lot of time, even if you had the license. And it would take a lot of money. I think we're in the same situation now, where we're [current industry leaders] developing a lot of technology, like client-server technology, that will make it harder and harder for small shops to emulate.

This is from an interview with Richard and Robert Garriot on the future of MMO's. They must not be aware of Maximum Football.
Arctus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:22 AM   #900
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctus
http://www.gamespy.com/articles/688/688964p3.html

This is from an interview with Richard and Robert Garriot on the future of MMO's. They must not be aware of Maximum Football.

or they're in denial of the awesomeness that is Maximus Football.