Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-18-2023, 10:00 AM   #9551
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah. But he needed to at least acknowledge that he had a match tonight and that defeating samoa joe and jay white (to be fair, Juice is not on that level) was a step that he needed to take to get to that level where what's in the bag (probably his old title) would come into play.
Old 06-18-2023, 10:00 AM   #9552
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yeah, I caught a couple of those at least.

But for the love of all that's decent, PLEASE get JR off the air. It's pitiful.

Apparently he had a fall before this, which would explain the black eye and hoarseness he had
Old 06-18-2023, 10:14 AM   #9553
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Apparently he had a fall before this, which would explain the black eye and hoarseness he had

Last night was not isolated by any means, that's the root of my criticism.

I won't lie, I still haven't gotten over the absolutely abominable "work" he did for NJPW on AXS. That was straight up thievery of every dime he ever took from them.

But his work in AEW hasn't been much better. He's a day late and a dollar short of being useful every time he opens his mouth at this point.

Is it simply age? Is it lack of interest? Is it lack of preparation? Is it lack of effort? A combination of several of these?

I don't know and I hesitate to attempt a definitive answer. Thing is, whatever the cause it doesn't change how atrocious his past several years on air have been.
Old 06-18-2023, 12:30 PM   #9554
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I've watched a lot of Jim Ross lately, and he's just a shell of the announcer he used to be. When he first started, a large part had to do with him not knowing many of the wrestlers. He'd get names wrong, be confused over storylines, etc. Now I think it's due to his health and mental condition, he's just not as sharp as he used to be. It's really time for him to realize this himself and to retire. And there's nothing wrong with that. I'd rather remember the great years anyways.

As for CM Punk, all of this bickering and in-fighting isn't going to turn into money, and I'm afraid this is the thing that will cause AEW to go down a bad path. If you keep Punk but several other wrestlers leave when their contracts elapse, I don't think it's worth it, because Punk is a cancer to the company at this point.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 01:46 PM   #9555
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I was as big a CM Punk fan as anyone back in the day, but for the love of god he needs to shut up and go away
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 02:42 PM   #9556
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
If you keep Punk but several other wrestlers leave when their contracts elapse, I don't think it's worth it, because Punk is a cancer to the company at this point.

I think he's beyond that, he's a cancer to the business itself. I mean, there isn't anywhere he can go that he wouldn't be a negative influence.
Old 06-18-2023, 04:17 PM   #9557
miami_fan
Coordinator

We always say that the great athlete is the last one to know that they are no longer a great athlete. Maybe it is the same with the great announcers. Or maybe JR being a huge college football fan remembers Bear Bryant. Can he walk away from being behind the mic?

I went down a mini wrestling announcer rabbit hole. Gordon Solie retired at 66. Lance Russell was pretty much done at 69.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 10:11 PM   #9558
RainMaker
General Manager

I think JR is just old and has had a lot of health issues over the years. Plus around 40+ years of constant travel is tough.

Can't really blame him either. It's AEW who is putting him on the air when he has no business being on TV anymore.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 11:11 AM   #9559
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Is CM Punk a draw for AEW? I haven't paid attention, but did ratings, buy rates, and attendance go up when he showed up and back down when he left? Otherwise I simply don't understand why you would do business with him.

He just always comes off a miserable know it all and it clearly isn't a character he is playing. It's just who he is.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 07:20 PM   #9560
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Is CM Punk a draw for AEW? I haven't paid attention, but did ratings, buy rates, and attendance go up when he showed up and back down when he left? Otherwise I simply don't understand why you would do business with him.

He just always comes off a miserable know it all and it clearly isn't a character he is playing. It's just who he is.

I believe they were pretty good with him, although not earth shattering.

My guess is they feel that the company desperately needs mainstream star power. Especially now that WWE has improved quite a bit in the past year. And Tony Kahn being a huge mark for wrestlers he liked growing up.
Old 06-24-2023, 08:36 PM   #9561
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Toronto crowd for Collision decidedly anti-Punk. Despite the fact they're facing BC Gold.

There's gonna be no choice but to turn him/his allies full heel. Outside of Chicago nobody wants any part of this fuckwit.
Old 06-24-2023, 08:50 PM   #9562
RainMaker
General Manager

The only way it was going to work is if he came back as a heel. And to be honest, I never have found him that interesting as a face.

He's no longer the underdog and he no longer has a big corporation he can be the antihero fighting against. And his wrestling is nowhere near where it needs to be to compete with some of the folks on that roster.
Old 06-24-2023, 08:59 PM   #9563
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The only way it was going to work is if he came back as a heel. And to be honest, I never have found him that interesting as a face.

He's no longer the underdog and he no longer has a big corporation he can be the antihero fighting against. And his wrestling is nowhere near where it needs to be to compete with some of the folks on that roster.

You could tell quite a bit from the reaction of various people to the reaction.

Ricky Starks visibly laughing on the ramp.
Kevin noting on the broadcast that Kojima will be a huge fan favorite Sun
Nigel sort of quietly figuring it out as the match went on

The problem for short term however is that you have to get Punk & Switchblade separated quickly. Jay doesn't need to be in the position of de facto face.

My biggest surprise with it is that Toronto turned out to be a crowd filled with smarts. I would have bet it to be more mainstream/middleground than that.
(they know wrestling but I wouldn't have bet them as smarts, that's a different thing)
Old 06-24-2023, 09:18 PM   #9564
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Toronto has always been the town that starts the face/heel turns. They don't like to be told who to cheer for. In the WWE, Jerry Lawler would always call it bizzaro-land.

I would think that MJF would get major cheers at the show, but he's up against Tanahashi so that's probably a good protection of his heel status.

I'm looking forward to being in the audience for the show tomorrow, it'll be my first wrestling show since about 2018. It's definitely a stacked show, and as a long time New Japan fan, I can't wait to see a lot of my favorite wrestlers.
Old 06-25-2023, 12:16 AM   #9565
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm looking forward to being in the audience for the show tomorrow, it'll be my first wrestling show since about 2018. It's definitely a stacked show, and as a long time New Japan fan, I can't wait to see a lot of my favorite wrestlers.

And speaking of Tanahashi, watching him tonight was painful. Heartbreaking almost. He's barely able to move at the moment and I'm hoping they do some sort of something with MJF tomorrow night to get him off the hook for G1.

Enjoy the show, hope it exceeds whatever your expectations.
Old 06-25-2023, 01:09 PM   #9566
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
And speaking of Tanahashi, watching him tonight was painful. Heartbreaking almost. He's barely able to move at the moment and I'm hoping they do some sort of something with MJF tomorrow night to get him off the hook for G1.

Enjoy the show, hope it exceeds whatever your expectations.

Yeah, my NJPW viewing is currently at January 2021. Tanahashi still looked pretty decent there, but I saw a video of him from a few months ago and he's much less mobile, gained about 20 lbs, and missing front teeth. He's a far cry from the great Tanahashi from 10 years ago. And that's fair, he's also 10 years older than he was 10 years ago, LOL. But we're definitely seeing the end in sight for Tanahashi, he was at least able to do those mini-runs of greatness the last couple of years, but soon he'll just be doing those big tag matches in the opening card like some of the other old 50+ veterans in NJPW.
Old 06-25-2023, 05:25 PM   #9567
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Adam Cole vs Tom Lawler match for Forbidden Door is off, Cole ruled out "due to illness"
Old 06-25-2023, 06:03 PM   #9568
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dayum, the crowd just booed the mention of Punk in the preshow rundown

edit: But Despy reacting with absolute resignation at having to pose with Rappongi Vice was quality comedy

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-25-2023 at 06:06 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:08 PM   #9569
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sanada vs Jungle Toddler ... and Red Shoes is the most over guy with the crowd by a large margin
Old 06-25-2023, 08:46 PM   #9570
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ishii looks much better than we've seen in a while, the spring back in his step tonight makes me believe he worked a good bit of the past year injured.

Hangman Page on the other hand looks slower than I've ever seen him, the added weight may have been inevitable but it's changed his ring work.
Old 06-25-2023, 09:58 PM   #9571
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ospreay vs Omega exhausted the crowd somewhere along the way, a talented bloodbath.

I may be well over Omega but he still knows how to tell a match story in the ring when he wants to.
Old 06-25-2023, 10:28 PM   #9572
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll give the moneymark owner his due, paying for the use of "Final Countdown" for Danielson absolves a sin or two.
Old 06-25-2023, 10:29 PM   #9573
RainMaker
General Manager

Did they both come out to their old themes?
Old 06-25-2023, 10:38 PM   #9574
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Did they both come out to their old themes?

Okada was his regular
Old 06-25-2023, 10:58 PM   #9575
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okada v Danielson was fine, but the moment far exceeded the match itself.

edit to update: Danielson in the scrum says they believe he fractured his right forearm with about 10 minutes left in the match and that doctors told him 6-8 weeks before he's cleared to wrestle again

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-26-2023 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-26-2023, 01:35 AM   #9576
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Ospreay vs Omega exhausted the crowd somewhere along the way, a talented bloodbath.

I may be well over Omega but he still knows how to tell a match story in the ring when he wants to.

I can never tell botches anymore it seems but did Kenny get dropped on his head during that match? That looked brutal.
Old 06-26-2023, 01:55 AM   #9577
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can never tell botches anymore it seems but did Kenny get dropped on his head during that match? That looked brutal.

He took a Tiger Driver 91 but popped right back up and continued working. The Twitter wing of the IWC was shocked but I suspect most of those have simply never seen the move hit before.

edit to add: He took it more on the head than is optimal, the rotation wasn't complete enough for it to land perfectly but the hue & cry about it seems horribly overblown to me

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-26-2023 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-26-2023, 06:35 AM   #9578
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So. Turns out watching it in a Movie Theater was a bad idea. With my bad leg, going up a lot of stairs to get to my seat was no fun, and by the time we got 3 hours in (I showed up just before zero hour begin) I was about a 12 on a 1-10 scale of pain. There wasn't any room to stretch out the leg to get relief, and you can't get up and walk around a dark theater like you can at home to try to relieve the pain

I had to call it around 10 pm, and caught up to results while icing down my hip/back/leg and taking a pain pill.

Thoughts:

Something Jeff Cobb does better than just about anyone I've seen as a monster heel is "right-selling" opponents offense. Not no-selling it, but selling that it was a hard hit but he's a fucking monster, by attacking you're in his range and he'll gladly take it if that means he can serve up destruction to the opponents. Underrated skill in today's era (Solo Sikoa does it pretty well, just that monster aura)

I don't watch Japan regularly, so my note on El Phantasmo was "If Logan Paul signed a full time deal with WWE, they'd bring in El Phantasmo to try to pull some Bella Twin Magic with him"

Billie Starkz sells a hell of an ass beating. Which is good, because Athena gave her one.

Underwhelmed by MJF-Tanahashi. Tan really needed to learn from Rampage that he has a problem with the way the buckles are here, and him constantly trying to not lose his footing on the top rope took away from the match. I'm officially over the Dynamite Diamond Ring as a finish. Also, way to piss off the company you're working with MJF with the robe.

I'm of two minds regarding Punk. He seems to have unleashed his inner wrestling troll (the hoganish cup of the ear followed by the leg drop, for example), and it can take away from the story of the match as he plays with the crowd. I did pop for the Pulsating pec-off with Kojima however.

The four way was fun as heck. You get the requisite "everybody does a move, and then gets hit by the same move from the next guy", but Daniel Garcia's sports entertainment bullshit was funny as heck. It was like an annoying playground kid demanding that they play along with his antics, but every time he tried to get involved in big boy fighting games, they would just SWAT him away as if he was disrespecting their fighting spirit by his bullshit. If Cassidy makes many more defenses of the title he's going to be swathed in so many bandages we'll be referring to him as "El Hijo Del THE YETI"

Sanada vs Jungle Boy needed about 5 more minutes, but was inoffensive to good (a solid single or double in a show of homeruns). One thing that AEW does very well is that while long term wrestling fans spot the turn about to happen, they don't telegraph it in the moment. I like that they were talking about something unrelated when Jack Perry went down on a knee to set up the turn, and then.. boom. Did the fans really expect Tazz to get up and run to his son's aid? That's the only reason I can imagine for them to be chanting his name. (And I don't think Taz will go for it, still being a really tough guy, I'd love to see something where Jungle Jack Perry soldiifies his turn by beating on Taz, forcing Hook to break his "whatever" facade and really unleash hell on someone for it). Love the extra spot where Perry did the Jungle Boy wave one last time as a "Oh, you're not going to cheer for me anymore? GOOD" bit of added bonus to the turn.

Stuff that I'm going to have to do a watch on when I figure out how to get my hands on the video.

Storm-Nightengale was..again inoffensive to good. They need to figure a way to bring the OUtsiders down a bit, because I think they're getting to NWO-ish levels of needing to be taken down a peg because they don't take setbacks.

The ten man brawl wasn't over the top crazy, but it teetered on the edge of it. Considering the past bits of the feud, I was fully expecting gushers of blood, but that didn't deliver. There's a very good reason for that. It was because of what was coming up. The only question is whether Kingston-Claudio is going to take place in AEW, or ROH. Personally, I think it could be the tentpole for a ROH PPV, in a Fight Without Honor/

While this card showcased the best of NJPW and AEW wrestling styles, Ospreay-Omega was the best (story telling, selling actual hate in a wrestling match terms) and the worst (Finisher Spam, kickouts where they should be wrestling's equivalent of clinically dead. Also, big black mark on the storyline is Callis being ejected from ringside, but coming back and being part of the finish. It should be a cathartic moment where the heel manager gets caught and can't save his man any more, instead it was a cheap pop because it wasn't honored.

Reading about the 6 man was painful as it fell well short of expectations. Thankfully, Sting wasn't injured, but yeah, the calendar's sadly running out on him. Surprised they're doing a tornado match on Wednesday.

Danielson-Okada.. well, everything's been written about this in previous pages, so I won't go into detail, except to say I wonder if Danielson tried to call an audible to get his arm checked out, and decided the only way to do that was the convulsions. If so, bad call, Bryan, but understandable. Although you know he'll work that into future promos. "I WRESTLED THE RAINMAKER FOR FIFTEEN MINUTES WITH A BROKEN FUCKING ARM"

Seemed to me that AEW got the better of this, so I hope NJPW gets to do the return at Wrestle Kingdom. (hear me out, Coach Tony, MJF tries to be a multi-continental champion, and enlists gedo/jado to come up with as much outside help possible to take the title from SANADA or whoever has the belt at that point, only to take a puroresu sized assbeating.
Old 06-26-2023, 08:43 AM   #9579
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I think a lot of the feedback already is very accurate.

I do like what they're doing with Takeshita, and his interactions with Ishii really help show what he's capable of.

Eddie Kingston was REALLY over. I was very surprised. He's just that guy that you know, loves to kick ass, and the people just embrace it.

The Ospreay / Omega match was tremendously over, and those false finishes got ridiculous reactions from the crowd. I was in the nosebleeds, and even up in the higher atmosphere, we were up on our feet several times for this match.

Okada / Danielson was good, but the crowd was exhausted by then after over 5 hours of matches (started at 6:45 and ended just after 12:00). The Danielson injury definitely didn't help either.

CM Punk got LOUD reactions, mostly boos. People can see through fake. That magic that was there when he initially came back is definitely gone. I don't remember the last time I saw Kojima in a singles match, he's definitely in a late stage of his career, but he did a great job in the ring, he certainly moved much better than Tanahashi.

MJF / Tanahashi was really good given the limitations of Tanahashi. Just seeing him run the ropes was painful. But you want to cheer for him. And MJF is just so good at what he does, the crowd just wants to cheer for him, but he turns them against him. So physically it wasn't great in any way, but both wrestlers pulled you into the match.
Old 06-26-2023, 02:44 PM   #9580
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't remember the last time I saw Kojima in a singles match, he's definitely in a late stage of his career,

fwiw, it's not that unusual for him lately, having just worked Champion Carnival back in April. Of 32 matches he's worked this year, 8/32 have been singles. 10 of those tags were while holding the GHC Tag Titles though, since dropping those his singles ratio is more like 1/3rd.
Old 06-26-2023, 03:02 PM   #9581
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
He took a Tiger Driver 91 but popped right back up and continued working. The Twitter wing of the IWC was shocked but I suspect most of those have simply never seen the move hit before.

edit to add: He took it more on the head than is optimal, the rotation wasn't complete enough for it to land perfectly but the hue & cry about it seems horribly overblown to me

I figured it was safe since there wasn't much concern from the wrestlers. The Japan style throws me off sometimes because you see stuff you rarely see in American wrestling (and I just haven't watched much NJPW the last few years). Like I'm still a little taken back when I see a piledriver.
Old 06-26-2023, 03:06 PM   #9582
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Okada was his regular

Sorry, I meant Ospreay and Omega. I can't remember the last time I heard Elevated. Thought it was a cool little touch.

I enjoyed the show a lot. Not a big fan of AEW storytelling so shows like this where they just have cool matchups is right up my alley. Main event was a little underwhelming, although I don't think it was ever going to live up to the expectations people had. But finding out Danielson was wrestling with a broken arm is pretty damn impressive.

Quote:
I'll give the moneymark owner his due, paying for the use of "Final Countdown" for Danielson absolves a sin or two.

From what I've read and what they've said, the song is incredibly expensive to license. Like hundreds of thousands of dollars for just a single use at a show.

One of the positives of having a money mark running the show is they occasionally make cool decisions like that which make zero financial sense for the company.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-26-2023 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2023, 03:32 PM   #9583
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
From what I've read and what they've said, the song is incredibly expensive to license. Like hundreds of thousands of dollars for just a single use at a show.

That was a funny discussion during the media scrum. It was either there or in something afterwards where TK basically said "tonight's use of it cost a wrestler contract worth of money"
Old 06-28-2023, 01:34 AM   #9584
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll just post the link to this cause a) the image seems large and b) it's a real wince for anybody who has broken a bone, etc but

Brie Bella tweeted out Bryan Danielson's x-ray, showing that the broken arm is considerably more severe than he made it sound. My reaction is the same as most folks I imagine "how'n the fuck did he work another 10 minutes after this happened" but one wrestler (I forget who atm) who suffered a similar break said he wrestled through it at the time, that the adrenaline covers it up pretty good ... until the next day when he tried to use his arm. The picture does make sense in light of how BD explained it happening (Okada elbow drop simply hit his arm just right/wrong)

Brie Garcia Posts Photo Of Bryan Danielson's Injury X-Ray, Says 'It's Worse Than We Thought' | Fightful News
Old 06-28-2023, 07:43 AM   #9585
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
That was a funny discussion during the media scrum. It was either there or in something afterwards where TK basically said "tonight's use of it cost a wrestler contract worth of money"
He also said they have the rights to the song in perpetuity, so we can look forward to hearing it again.
Old 06-28-2023, 01:26 PM   #9586
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
He also said they have the rights to the song in perpetuity, so we can look forward to hearing it again.

Umm, that's not what was said at the scrum. The cost they discussed was per use

Quote:
It’s a very expensive song, Final Countdown. I had been working on it for awhile, leading into the pay-per-view, because I believed it would be a great moment and would give the match something special. Final Countdown has always been associated with Bryan, and I thought it was a cherry on top of this cake that everybody has been wanting a piece of that everybody has been wanting with Okada vs. Danielson. I was excited for Final Countdown, but it was also the kind of thing that I was only able to get on a one show contract. It was a very expensive one-night thing and it was as expensive as a wrestler’s contract, but it was worth it, and I thought it added to the show. It was not inexpensive at all. It was very expensive.
Old 06-28-2023, 02:54 PM   #9587
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I’ve seen it reported both ways. My thought was he has the rights to use it as much as he wants but he has to pay that fee each time he uses it. He did mention possibly using it again which would make it make sense that he has the rights to use it again if he wants to.
Old 06-28-2023, 03:07 PM   #9588
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I'll just post the link to this cause a) the image seems large and b) it's a real wince for anybody who has broken a bone, etc but

Brie Bella tweeted out Bryan Danielson's x-ray, showing that the broken arm is considerably more severe than he made it sound. My reaction is the same as most folks I imagine "how'n the fuck did he work another 10 minutes after this happened" but one wrestler (I forget who atm) who suffered a similar break said he wrestled through it at the time, that the adrenaline covers it up pretty good ... until the next day when he tried to use his arm. The picture does make sense in light of how BD explained it happening (Okada elbow drop simply hit his arm just right/wrong)

Brie Garcia Posts Photo Of Bryan Danielson's Injury X-Ray, Says 'It's Worse Than We Thought' | Fightful News

I'll never understand how wrestlers can perform through some of these injuries. I still think the most impressive one I've heard is HHH finishing that one match with a torn quad.
Old 06-28-2023, 03:12 PM   #9589
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'll never understand how wrestlers can perform through some of these injuries. I still think the most impressive one I've heard is HHH finishing that one match with a torn quad.

HHH has nothing on Arrhichion, an ancient greek who won a wrestling match despite being dead.
Old 06-28-2023, 03:15 PM   #9590
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
HHH has nothing on Arrhichion, an ancient greek who won a wrestling match despite being dead.

Yup and my grandpa when he was a boy had to walk to school everyday. The walk was uphill both ways and had 3 feet of snow on it, even in the middle of summer…which apparently they went to school during too. 🤣🤣
Old 06-28-2023, 03:16 PM   #9591
RainMaker
General Manager

This is back in 2021, but TK said it cost a few hundred thousand dollars to play the song 20 times in a year.

I'd love to see what licensing for other songs cost. Cult of Personality and Carry on Wayward Sun have been used lately. I think Orange Cassidy was coming out to the Pixies at one point.
Old 06-28-2023, 03:43 PM   #9592
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is back in 2021, but TK said it cost a few hundred thousand dollars to play the song 20 times in a year.

I'd love to see what licensing for other songs cost. Cult of Personality and Carry on Wayward Sun have been used lately. I think Orange Cassidy was coming out to the Pixies at one point.

re: Wayward Son -- I got the sense Kansas rights holders were pretty reasonable from TK quote "I’m very open to using it again and they were very cool about us using it tonight. I think there’s a good chance we would use it again."

re: Living Colour -- there's a relationship between the band & Punk to at least some extent (he's introduced them onstage, Corey Glover has talked about how cool it was to them that Punk used the song back in little league or something) so I imagine there's at least some "friends & family rate" there

Another case of that would be Ruby Soho using Rancid (she's friends with at least one member of the band) and Hook using Action Bronson (who is a fan)
Old 06-28-2023, 03:59 PM   #9593
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
re: Wayward Son -- I got the sense Kansas rights holders were pretty reasonable from TK quote "I’m very open to using it again and they were very cool about us using it tonight. I think there’s a good chance we would use it again."

re: Living Colour -- there's a relationship between the band & Punk to at least some extent (he's introduced them onstage, Corey Glover has talked about how cool it was to them that Punk used the song back in little league or something) so I imagine there's at least some "friends & family rate" there

Another case of that would be Ruby Soho using Rancid (she's friends with at least one member of the band) and Hook using Action Bronson (who is a fan)

When I was driving in the car the other day the Rancid - Ruby Soho song came on Siriux (one of their rock/metal stations). It was called Ruby Soho. So they must be getting something out of it besides just a licensing fee.

Seems like a good idea for bands putting out new songs. Edge talks about how when the Alter Bridge guys gave him the rights to use Metalingus, their sales went through the roof.
Old 06-28-2023, 05:01 PM   #9594
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Umm, that's not what was said at the scrum. The cost they discussed was per use

I stand corrected...

"It’s a very expensive song, Final Countdown. I had been working on it for awhile, leading into the pay-per-view, because I believed it would be a great moment and would give the match something special. Final Countdown has always been associated with Bryan, and I thought it was a cherry on top of this cake that everybody has been wanting a piece of that everybody has been wanting with Okada vs. Danielson. I was excited for Final Countdown, but it was also the kind of thing that I was only able to get on a one show contract. It was a very expensive one-night thing and it was as expensive as a wrestler’s contract, but it was worth it, and I thought it added to the show. It was not inexpensive at all. It was very expensive."
Old 06-28-2023, 05:45 PM   #9595
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When I was driving in the car the other day the Rancid - Ruby Soho song came on Siriux (one of their rock/metal stations). It was called Ruby Soho. So they must be getting something out of it besides just a licensing fee.

Well that song is almost 30 years old now (3rd single from their 1995 album). It was the inspiration for the "Ruby" part of the Ruby Riott name in WWE and when she lost the rights to use that, the band (or at least one member) basically said "hell, just use Ruby Soho"

Quote:
during a June 18, 2021 interview with Lars Frederiksen on his Wrestling Perspective Podcast, he suggested that she change her name to Ruby Soho and how he could clear the song for her in minutes. Prange confirmed the name change to Ruby Soho on her Instagram page

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-28-2023 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-28-2023, 06:10 PM   #9596
RainMaker
General Manager

Oh wow, didn't know that. Just assumed it was made for her.
Old 06-28-2023, 07:39 PM   #9597
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

My understanding was that the in perpetuity comment is in reference to any use of it for Forbidden Door 2023. So if someone streams FD23 on some service 10 years from now, Danielson's entrance music will be Final Countdown rather than some generic replacement song.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 08:14 PM   #9598
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
My understanding was that the in perpetuity comment is in reference to any use of it for Forbidden Door 2023. So if someone streams FD23 on some service 10 years from now, Danielson's entrance music will be Final Countdown rather than some generic replacement song.

Ohhhh, that would make sense. And yes, having reairing rights would definitely jack the price.
Old 06-29-2023, 12:08 AM   #9599
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

For those who saw Sting's Wednesday encounter with a table, I give you the definitive tweet

from Adam Goldberg
"I'm Steve Borden. Welcome to Jackass"
Old 06-29-2023, 09:50 PM   #9600
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well that song is almost 30 years old now (3rd single from their 1995 album). It was the inspiration for the "Ruby" part of the Ruby Riott name in WWE and when she lost the rights to use that, the band (or at least one member) basically said "hell, just use Ruby Soho"
It's a great clip - you can see she is star struck from the start and when he says she can have the song for free, she breaks down a little. Great stuff.