Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-28-2004, 04:44 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Talking Doug Christie Alert!

Just read this on Rotoworld.com:

Pirates prospect Ian Oquendo confirmed today that he's going back to his birth name of Ian Snell.

Snell, 22, took his wife's last name when the couple had a baby in 2000.

What in the hell?!? I don't think I've ever heard of the husband taking the wife's last name. And only at the point they had a baby. It's like she demanded it in exchange for delivering the baby. There's got to be a great story here - anyone know anything more about this?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 04:50 PM   #2
KevinNU7
College Starter

My girlfriend wanted to do the double name thing for a while. I told her if she became a big time player in something and didn't want to lose her identity for financial reasons then I'd do it.

She's now in law school
Old 01-28-2004, 04:51 PM   #3
Franklinnoble
Banned

Wow.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 05:07 PM   #4
Esquared1
High School JV

I've known two guys who have done that.

One guy did time, and wanted to hide from it. Therefore, he changed his name. The second person must have been ashamed of his name, and wanted to change his to be much more simple.
Esquared1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 05:13 PM   #5
Axxon
Pro Starter

Well, I almost got married in 98 and my wife was wondering about the name thing. My name is unusual and hard to pronounce and I'm not really hung up on it. I told her to forget about it, if we got married we'd use her last name. It was a good old fashioned WASP last name.

I don't give a damn. It's not a sacred totem; it's just a name.

We didn't marry but the name wasn't the issue.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:22 PM   #6
John Galt
Pro Starter

I'm sure people here won't be surprised to learn that in conversations with my current girlfriend, I've mostly decided to take her name if we ever get married (unlikely, but possible).
Old 01-28-2004, 05:31 PM   #7
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
I'm sure people here won't be surprised to learn that in conversations with my current girlfriend, I've mostly decided to take her name if we ever get married (unlikely, but possible).

Sissy.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:33 PM   #8
John Galt
Pro Starter

But I still think Doug Christie is a big weanie.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:36 PM   #9
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
But I still think Doug Christie has big weanie.

Well, at his size, you would sure hope so. Otherwise he would look funny naked.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:50 PM   #10
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

I dunno, John... that's pretty gay... even for you.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:53 PM   #11
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, but that's because her last name is "Jeter".
Old 01-28-2004, 05:59 PM   #12
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

you guys all know, at least virtually, someone who took his wife's last name...

...ME.

when we got married, we both hyphenated our last names (her Carignan was added to my Driscoll to make a Driscoll-Carignan name that is guaranteed to trip up any telemarketer on the planet).

some fun facts:
- it was my idea; my wife was considering hyphenating, but we didn't like the idea of different members of the family having different last names. So, my idea was for us both to do it (and future children, of course). My only request was that my last name went first, mostly because I didn't want my initials to change.
- Christine didn't really have to do anything to hyphenate when we got married. I had to fill out tons of paperwork and go before a judge before I could.
- I did get a bit of grief from my family, especially from my mom's side, which is odd (since her family's name wasnt' ever my name)
- We both got a bit of ribbing from friends and co-workers about it, but that subsided so quickly it was barely noticeable. Now, we're both known more by our initials (DDC and CDC) at work than our first names.
- No idea how the school thing with a long last name will be for Graham (he's 2), but I imagine it's just like everything else - kids will find SOMETHING to tease other kids about.
- I haven't ever regretted doing it, not even for a moment. I actually think it's fun to see people read the name the first time and see their eyes get wide...
Old 01-28-2004, 06:00 PM   #13
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

oh, and I think Doug Christie is a weanie also.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:29 PM   #14
Ksyrup

Hyphenating I can understand. And actually, it makes more sense in this day and age then taking one name or the other. But absent a few situations (a couple of which are mentioned above), I have no idea why anyone would do this.

For some reason, this has been on my mind since I saw it. Here's my best guess, although I confess that this might be entirely off-base:

If it's something baby-related, could it be that the hospital forces the child to be given the father's last name, and for whatever reason they decided to give the baby the mother's last name, so in order to achieve what they wanted, he had to change his name to make the baby's records official with the wife's last name? Then, after the baby is brn, he can change his name back without affect the baby?

That's the only reasonable explanation I can come up with.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-28-2004, 06:49 PM   #15
Franklinnoble
Banned

Actually, when a baby is born here in California, the mother pretty much has full control over what its name is.

I'd guess that this guy is married to a real bra-burner, and changed his name for the kid's sake.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:51 PM   #16
Ksyrup

Maybe they recently got a divorce.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:52 PM   #17
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Actually, when a baby is born here in California, the mother pretty much has full control over what its name is.

I'd guess that this guy is married to a real bra-burner, and changed his name for the kid's sake.

That makes sense, since in some instances, the father is obviously not known or resides in a tube.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:54 PM   #18
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
That makes sense, since in some instances, the father is obviously not known or resides in a tube.

Wow, apartments must be getting really small... tube..

I got nothing.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:00 PM   #19
John Galt
Pro Starter

I'm busy, but let me briefly describe my rationale:

Hyphenation doesn't accomplish anything - it just pushes the burden to future generations to deal with infinitely regressive hyphenated names.

Adopting the female name is a direct act on the patriarchal norm of using the male name to identify the family. Patriarchy is bad.

There you go in a nutshell.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:05 PM   #20
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Patriarchy is bad.

Why?
Old 01-28-2004, 07:23 PM   #21
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Why?

I said briefly, but patriarchy is the source of a lot of oppression in this world and it is pretty bad for women especially. That's all for now.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:58 PM   #22
Craptacular
College Starter

My wife and I are friends of a couple getting married this year, and they're contemplating what do you with their last names. They might even consider changing both of their names, or coming up with a combination. Both have uncommon names, but his is much longer.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:09 PM   #23
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
But I still think Doug Christie is a big weanie.

Bad news John. You ARE our Doug Christie.

Quote:
Patriarchy is bad.

Not for the patriarch.

Last edited by Samdari : 01-28-2004 at 08:11 PM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote