stevew
Hall Of Famer

LeBron 2014

Where does he sign?

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
tarcone
Coordinator

1st. I think he goes to Chicago. New arena downtown in a large market with a ready made team in the East. This is the landing spot.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
heybrad
Norm!!!

I voted with my heart. Not with my head.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
1st. I think he goes to Chicago. New arena downtown in a large market with a ready made team in the East. This is the landing spot.

I don't think he'd want to play in Jordan's shadow.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
mckerney
Coordinator

Hoping it's Cleveland leading to a Love for Wiggins deal.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Voting for the laughs. There's an (extraordinarily ridiculously low percentage) outside shot the Warriors get crazy and deconstruct...which would be awesome.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Realistically? I think he talks Wade into opting out to give Miami more cap room and he goes back.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
korme
Go Reds

He's going back to Miami, but I love the longshot idea of him on that Phoenix roster
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
Desnudo
Coordinator

His wife gave it away. Cleveland.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think he'll stay too. I don't see anything in Cleveland that makes him go back and I agree with Bomani Jones that as long as Daniel Gilbert is the owner you can't go back to that team.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #11
nol
Banned

He'd look good in a Seattle Trout uni.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #12
Izulde
Head Coach

Miami. Getting Napier pretty much sealed the deal I think.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #13
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The arena is 20 years old. We also don't want him.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The arena is 20 years old. We also don't want him.

Speak for yourself. I'd happily take him over the far more likely Melo.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #15
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

He's a rival. That's like adding Isiah to the team in the 90's.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #16
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Or Dennis Rodman
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #17
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
He's a rival. That's like adding Isiah to the team in the 90's.

Id bet 99% of Chicago fans would be happy to have him, if not right away, by the end of year one
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #18
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Probably. He gets booed pretty heavily here. Would definitely be weird (Rodman was real weird too).

Remember when the Bulls signed John Starks?
Old 06-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #19
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Probably. He gets booed pretty heavily here. Would definitely be weird (Rodman was real weird too).

Remember when the Bulls signed John Starks?

Yeah it might be weird, but things stop being weird once you start winning.

Plus, the Bulls have never beat Lebron in the playoffs ever. If you can't beat em, join em
Old 06-27-2014, 11:12 PM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Hoping it's Cleveland leading to a Love for Wiggins deal.

I don't think you'll get that. I don't want to come across like a dick but I think you guys will probably eat a shit sandwich in return for him. Best case IMO is Waiters/Bennett and/or Thompson/some picks that won't be good.

LeBron/Love won't happen anyways.

Last edited by stevew : 06-27-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #21
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
looks like the majority of ppl think the opt out is just a ruse for moar ceeesh.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #22
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
looks like the majority of ppl think the opt out is just a ruse for moar ceeesh.

I don't think it is for more cash. I think it is for felexibility if Miami doesn't make moves to improve the team, but I think Miami will come through.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-28-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #23
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post

No its quite the opposite.
He is (IMHO) opting out to resign at a much cheaper rate so the Heat can bring in help. The only way he doesnt return is if Bosh and Wade dont follow suit. Each of tehm should drop down to $10MM contracts and that would free up $25MM for additional pieces
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:13 AM   #24
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
He is (IMHO) opting out to resign at a much cheaper rate so the Heat can bring in help. The only way he doesnt return is if Bosh and Wade dont follow suit. Each of tehm should drop down to $10MM contracts and that would free up $25MM for additional pieces

Yeah, I was reminded of this from the Spurs' beat write on the day he opted out:
Old 06-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #25
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

I keep hearing this thought process and it doesn't add up to me. Wade has a contract that will pay him 41 million over the next two years. Bosh will get close to 43 million.

Their reputations are at an all time low after the last series. I'm to believe they are going to opt out and sign for cheaper deals yet again? I'm also supposed to believe Napier, the 24th pick in the draft is going to sway Lebron? I know he's written great tweets about the guy, but does he really feel that Napier is the missing piece? News flash for Lebron and everyone else: Napier is an older senior who torched a bunch of kids, he's a poor defensive player with poor athleticism. Before anyone rants on me, yes, I did watch the NCAA tourney. Yes, I like the kid. Yes, I would want him as a Nugget. Yeah, I think he'll be a better offensive player than Mario Chalmers. No, I don't think he'll be better defensively at all.

Then there are other guys coming, right? Melo? Love?

So I have to go under these assumptions that he goes back to the Heat:

1) Wade and Bosh are willing to sacrifice another 10+ million dollars to make this happen.

2) Lebron really believes that the Heat can come up with a strong #2 to support him (because, guys, the depth isn't going to get a ton better, no matter how they work it)

3) The Heat will build up a team James believes can win the title even if he assumes Wade would be out with injury.

I don't really believe Bron thinks #3 is correct. I have a real tough time buying he believes #2 can happen. As for #1? They've done it before. They have millions in the bank. The PR if they didn't opt out would be devastating for them. Maybe. . .

Last question though: What would it take for Wade and Bosh to opt out? 15 million for 5 more years? 17 for 4? How good will Wade be in 2 more years? Is Lebron going to commit to 5 years knowing that in year 4 he'll be playing with a 34 year old Chris Bosh and a 6th man at best Dwayne Wade?

I could see Bron going back for one year. I cannot see how this works out long term unless something stupid happens. (like, say, Love being traded for Bosh straight up)

I'd guess Cleveland right now, but I think the most likely destination is the Clippers
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #26
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I read earlier this week a conspiracy theory that Nike is about to start an ad campaign even more centered around Lebron and pay the difference these guys give up. Would be interesting.

Also at dinner last night discussing the whole NCAA O'Bannon suit, a friend who is a NCAA AD employee brought up a real interesting thought.

What would happen if a bunch of NBA superstars got fed up with the salary cap and instead of striking all decided to sign with a small market (he used Milwaukee as an example) for league minimum. Essentially creating a Lebron, Durant, Mello, Howard, Paul, Rose et al. super team. It could pretty easily destroy the league much worse than anything Sterling said....but would the NBA demand players take more money to play somewhere else. If so at what point is it ok (lebron, wade, bosh in theory) and at what point is it bad.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:42 PM   #27
whomario
Pro Starter

Haslem opts out of a guaranteed 4.6 mio next season. No way he does this unless he has assurance of a longer deal by the Heat (although that is clearly illegal at this point, but who´s looking), as he sure as heck won´t get that on the open market.

This is definitely a hint as to the fact that there is assurance from LeBron that he "will be back, unless you don´t care about improving".
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #28
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Feels like there's some shady shit going on down in Miami! Wish my Dolphins were capable of being that sneaky and underhanded!

Last edited by BillJasper : 06-28-2014 at 12:46 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #29
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
What would happen if a bunch of NBA superstars got fed up with the salary cap and instead of striking all decided to sign with a small market (he used Milwaukee as an example) for league minimum. Essentially creating a Lebron, Durant, Mello, Howard, Paul, Rose et al. super team. It could pretty easily destroy the league much worse than anything Sterling said....but would the NBA demand players take more money to play somewhere else. If so at what point is it ok (lebron, wade, bosh in theory) and at what point is it bad.

Yes, because this has never happened with teams like the Yankees, the Lakers (Malone and Payton), etc in the past... the difference is that those teams didn't have all the social media things to deal with that we do now (and it will be worse in the future for teams).

I doubt owners would care to be honest. If they cared then teams like the 76ers wouldn't go below the league minimum. Their owner is happy because he is making money and instead of signing free agents he is signing younger/cheaper draft picks to fill out a roster. The league/teams survived a decade where the Celtics were winning the title every year followed by Lakers making the finals in what seemed to be every season for another decade.

Every other sports league gets a free pass when this happens.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #30
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, I did a poor job of fleshing out his argument.
It wasn't a Yankees level super team, it was an All NBA super team. A team that would go undefeated. An organized collaboration by the players to make a point.

The Lakers added Payton and Malone well past their prime the idea here is every NBA star in their prime joining forces in a Curt Flood type move to destroy the salary cap (instead of exclusive rights)
Old 06-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #31
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The league should level the Minnesota sized ban hammer for tampering but they won't cause the league makes money on the heat. Haslam can't really opt out and have a prearranged deal in place to make up the money.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #32
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I read earlier this week a conspiracy theory that Nike is about to start an ad campaign even more centered around Lebron and pay the difference these guys give up. Would be interesting.

Also at dinner last night discussing the whole NCAA O'Bannon suit, a friend who is a NCAA AD employee brought up a real interesting thought.

If they go to that trouble they should just form their own league. Like "Nike Presents:The LeBron League" could probably get the players an 80/20 split and more money than the NBA offers.

Like 8 teams of mostly marquee talent at reasonable ticket projections and streaming and marketing stuff probably leaves a billion to split up for 120 guys . That's more than 8M per guy
Old 06-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #33
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
If they go to that trouble they should just form their own league. Like "Nike Presents:The LeBron League" could probably get the players an 80/20 split and more money than the NBA offers.

Like 8 teams of mostly marquee talent at reasonable ticket projections and streaming and marketing stuff probably leaves a billion to split up for 120 guys . That's more than 8M per guy

Isn't that what NFL players were thinking a million years ago when they were on strike and staged all-star games that no one showed up to see?

I know that the NBA is a different beast to a degree but I still think things like team history play into people's interest. Which this new "league" wouldn't have.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #34
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's a lot easier to do in basketball
Old 06-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #35
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's a lot easier to do in basketball

Why?

You'd still be starting from scratch, with no history beyond player vs. player. The NBA's top 120 players wouldn't all abandon ship to run to a new league (how many would be willing to leave the guaranteed contracts behind?), which would make for uneven play.

I think that it would be a very tricky thing to pull off successfully.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #36
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's not a quantity thing. If you had, say, 30 of the top 50 guys you could easily plug in lots of filler guys. You could take the talent straight from HS. You could get a lot of the older euro pros. Due to the fact that basketball is largely only about the star players it is uniquely different than football or baseball. Basketball has about 6-8 teams that matter each season.

Yes it would need to be more than just LeBron but if there was a concentration of stars it would work. Regardless of the laundry people are accustomed to cheering for.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #37
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's not a quantity thing. If you had, say, 30 of the top 50 guys you could easily plug in lots of filler guys. You could take the talent straight from HS. You could get a lot of the older euro pros. Due to the fact that basketball is largely only about the star players it is uniquely different than football or baseball. Basketball has about 6-8 teams that matter each season.

Yes it would need to be more than just LeBron but if there was a concentration of stars it would work. Regardless of the laundry people are accustomed to cheering for.

If this was as easy as you're trying to make it sound, Nike wouldn't be spending a few million dollars to pull a few strings. They'd bust out a billion and make it happen.

People generally would continue to follow the teams they've always followed.

A new league would have a hard road to travel and bleed a ton of cash along the way.

Last edited by BillJasper : 06-28-2014 at 02:20 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #38
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The league should level the Minnesota sized ban hammer for tampering but they won't cause the league makes money on the heat. Haslam can't really opt out and have a prearranged deal in place to make up the money.

Tampering only counts for small market teams no one cares about. Remember the Knicks cheated in the draft years ago and got a slap on the wrist.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #39
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
If this was as easy as you're trying to make it sound, Nike wouldn't be spending a few million dollars to pull a few strings. They'd bust out a billion and make it happen.

People generally would continue to follow the teams they've always followed.

A new league would have a hard road to travel and bleed a ton of cash along the way.

Number one problem is that more and more of the owners own the arenas in addition to the teams. That's a huge financial barrier to overcome even if the TV audience would remain the same.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #40
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Wade just opted out too... Bosh expected to be next...
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #41
TroyF
Coordinator

I'm fairly stunned. I have to think this means Melo is joining the big 3. I also have to believe Wade has been promised 4 years or more. . . which is something that could cripple that team 3 years from now. (or sooner)

Or has Bron told them he's heading out (to destination x) and Bosh knows he can get paid long term and Wade knows he can strangle the Heat because thy wouldn't dare lose him and Bron in the same off season.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #42
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Why?

You'd still be starting from scratch, with no history beyond player vs. player. The NBA's top 120 players wouldn't all abandon ship to run to a new league (how many would be willing to leave the guaranteed contracts behind?), which would make for uneven play.

I think that it would be a very tricky thing to pull off successfully.

Because the way the NBA is structured and marketed, the star players matter much more than anyone or anything else. Plus, 12 man active rosters vs 45 for football or 25 for baseball... big difference there. So player vs player history would work just fine and this is something that could potentially work.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #43
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Turkey

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:53 PM   #44
korme
Go Reds

Nets and Bucks working on an agreement that would free Jason Kidd from his remaining three years in Brooklyn. Kidd wants a presidential role similar to Phil Jackson's that could include coaching, but likely not.

What in the hell?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:40 AM   #45
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I'm fairly stunned. I have to think this means Melo is joining the big 3. I also have to believe Wade has been promised 4 years or more. . . which is something that could cripple that team 3 years from now. (or sooner)

Or has Bron told them he's heading out (to destination x) and Bosh knows he can get paid long term and Wade knows he can strangle the Heat because thy wouldn't dare lose him and Bron in the same off season.

No way in freaking hell the Heat pay Wade unless James is back. Who in their right mind would pay a guy who's clearly past his prime top dollar because they lost the best player in the world?
Old 06-29-2014, 02:38 AM   #46
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
Turkey

I wonder if these foreign guys ever make absurd offers. Like you're a billionaire in Turkey. You can probably give LeBron 80M net for a year and make money long term. Wonder why this doesn't happen.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #47
tarcone
Coordinator

Bosh to the Lakers, Wade to the Spurs.
Bosh decides to get paid in a huge market and try and help the Lakers rebuild.
Wade fades into a role player and wants to win another championship or 2. LeBron enjoys life as a Bull, not living in Jordans shadow, but creating his own shadow. And with the Heat dead in the water, the weak East is much weaker.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #48
whomario
Pro Starter

In a non-Lebron world, the Rockets would be a very logical landing spot for Bosh.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:09 PM   #49
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

None of them are going to a rebuilding project.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #50
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Wade fades into a role player and wants to win another championship or 2. LeBron enjoys life as a Bull, not living in Jordans shadow, but creating his own shadow. And with the Heat dead in the water, the weak East is much weaker.

As a Lakers fan I dont want Bosh