Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: If you can only choose one...
Membership 8 26.67%
Home 16 53.33%
Working out with trout 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #1
rowech
Pro Starter

Home Gym vs Gym Membership

Which do you prefer and why? Does something like a Bowflex sit dormant for you or does it get its use?

rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
AlexB
Pro Starter

I put home gym, but actually that translates to a set of dumbbells and exercise mat. This gives me enough for what i need for leg rehab and core work: with a rucksack full of weights on my back I'm happy!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
bryce
High School Varsity

Home gym. Hard to justify not working out when it's in your home. Easy to make excuses to not go to a gym.

And like Alex said, it doesn't take a lot of equipment. Right now I'm good with just some dumbbells and the perfect pushup thingees. Doesn't take up much room, that's for sure.

Used to have an exercise bike when I was rehabbing my ACL but once that healed I ended up running outside more than using the bike so we got rid of it recently.

Last edited by bryce : 07-02-2014 at 04:28 PM.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Whichever one you'll actually use. For me it's a home gym. I am motivated enough to work out at home. For some I know there are too many distractions at home and the only way they can workout is to schedule time at the gym. Others it's joining outdoor workout groups. Really for most people's needs, any of them are effective, it's actually doing it that's the trick.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
Radii
Head Coach

Good Timing. I have things at home but find myself being lazy and remaining inactive. I found out yesterday that part of my BCBS NC coverage allows me to get a gym membership for $25/mo at qualifying gyms. There's one about 5 miles from me, I went there today and have a session tomorrow with a trainer scheduled. I intend, at least at first, to shell out additional $$ for a personal trainer, I haven't lifted free weights in 20 years and realize I'm more susceptible to injury now than when I was 17 so I'm planning on getting some help initially to make sure I do things right, learn proper form, etc.

Now to find out if I'll stick with this or not :P

Last edited by Radii : 07-02-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
DanGarion
Coordinator

I'm been thinking about getting myself a heavybag to beat the shit out of.

But honestly I'd much rather have a gym membership at LA Fitness because I love playing raquettball and I get as much of a workout doing that as I'll ever get doing anything else... YMMV.

Last edited by DanGarion : 07-02-2014 at 06:07 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Home gym. Get a decent bench for $150 and some Powerblock dumbbells. They're a bit expensive but are just 1-2 years worth of a gym membership fees anyway and will last you a lifetime. And if you want to do your cardio indoors, pick up a cheap exercise bike. I usually ride it for the duration of an hour long TV show (which I'm FF through commercials).

The only reason I'd do the gym route is if they offer things like basketball, raquetball or something else you can't get in the home.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Free weights and treadmill at home is all I have really seriously used.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #9
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Membership. My home does not and cannot have a 25yd lap pool.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

What are your goals? Strength training? Cardio? Both?
Old 07-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #11
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
What are your goals? Strength training? Cardio? Both?

To not retreat spending money. I lost 80 pounds to go from 308 to 225 but have now put back on 20 of it and need to get going again. When my dad got sick two years ago, I started getting out of habits, the he died and I just got lazy with it. I know I have to lift to have a real effect on my body. To lose the 80, I did most of the loss through gym and running but to be honest, it's a hassle to get to the gym. I'm worried about spending the money and not using stuff for the house though. I feel confident I would use it if I bought it and put it in the house but was curious if others have done this and found they made excuses and regretted the purchase of equipment.

I have a treadmill already and am debating buying a bowflex or a bench and bowflex dumbbells.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #12
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I was in the same boat as you. I bit my tongue and just dropped a large chunk of money on the dumbbells and bench. I figured spending that kind of money would force me to use it and I figured the money was a solid investment in not only my physical health but mental health.

Personally I would stay away from the Bowflex dumbbells. If you look around bodybuilding websites you'll see they get really poor reviews. They are just made cheaper and tend to break. If money is a major concern, they can work. But I do think spending the extra money for something that is of high quality is worth it.

My recommendation is Powerblock.

Welcome to PowerBlock - The Worlds Best Dumbbell

There are a couple other companies that I've tested but they are more expensive and I find a little more difficult to use. Both myself and my brother have Powerblocks and they are amazing. I've had mine for 5 years without an issue.

As for bench, I did a ton of research on this too and Bowflex actually makes a nice one for a reasonable price. It allows you to do incline stuff as well as flat. Never had an issue with it either in 5 years.

Amazon.com : Bowflex SelectTech Adjustable Bench Series 3.1 : Adjustable Weight Benches : Sports & Outdoors

One nice thing about the Powerblocks is they have some good resell value too. So if you just didn't bother to use them, you could always flip them on Craigslist for at least half of what you paid for them.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:25 PM   #13
rowech
Pro Starter

I have looked at the power blocks but found them awkward to use.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:01 AM   #14
BYU 14
Coordinator

I quit lifting really heavy free weights in my early 40's, so I do everything at home now.

This has all I need, Bowflex, treadmill, elliptical, dumbbells, MMA gloves and strike pads and a TV. I use it at least 6 days a week, pretty much always work out at lunch when I am working from home or early evening if not.

I just wish the room was bigger so I could jam more stuff into it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gym.jpg (277.7 KB, 59 views)
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:17 AM   #15
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Home gym. Get a decent bench for $150 and some Powerblock dumbbells. They're a bit expensive but are just 1-2 years worth of a gym membership fees anyway and will last you a lifetime. And if you want to do your cardio indoors, pick up a cheap exercise bike. I usually ride it for the duration of an hour long TV show (which I'm FF through commercials).

The only reason I'd do the gym route is if they offer things like basketball, raquetball or something else you can't get in the home.

Yeah I much prefer ironmaster over powerblock though, I've worked out dice I got those 4 years ago then I did the rest of my life. Much prefer working out at home and ironmaster can go to 120 per or even 165 if you call and waive your warranty to get them.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:29 AM   #16
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I have looked at the power blocks but found them awkward to use.

Look at Ironmaster, much much more natural feel.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:32 AM   #17
Izulde
Head Coach

1 bedroom apt = No room for a home gym of any kind.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:55 AM   #18
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
1 bedroom apt = No room for a home gym of any kind.

I have two bedroom apt with my wife and have an iron master dumbell set, barbell and bench with a couple attachments.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #19
Desnudo
Coordinator

I do Insanity at home but I don't see how you can do real free weights without a dedicated room. Plus yoga pants.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote