Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
Cuckoo
College Starter

Buying Tickets From Private Seller

Alright, I need your expertise, FOFC...

I have only purchased tickets to a football game from a private seller once, and that was a face to face meeting with a person that had a friend vouching for him. However, now I may be doing so and am looking for tips, what to look out for, whether I should, etc.

I posted on a Sooner forum for Big 12 Championship tickets. Demand has been pretty high, it seems, and prices are above face on stubhub and the like. So I thought I might be able to get a face value deal from another OU fan that couldn't go.

Sure enough, someone PMed me (an Aggie fan) with an offer of 4 at face plus a parking pass. He's in Dallas but said he could UPS them up here, assured me that he does it all the time with other A&M fans and they just exchange confirmation numbers simultaneously.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Cuckoo : 11-29-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Aren't there online escrow sites for situations like this? Where they'll verify to him that they have your money, but not release it until a specified date and time or whatever?

Be careful.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
miked
College Starter

I'd be wary. He could also have a ticketmaster account where you print the tickets at home. He could theoretically print up several copies and send them out, you'd be fairly screwed. I think to expect face price for a hotly desired game is a bit unrealistic, especially something where trust is involved.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Aren't there online escrow sites for situations like this? Where they'll verify to him that they have your money, but not release it until a specified date and time or whatever?

Be careful.

I don't know of one, but I would guess that would add an additional charge. If anyone knows of a good one, though, I'll definitely look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I'd be wary. He could also have a ticketmaster account where you print the tickets at home. He could theoretically print up several copies and send them out, you'd be fairly screwed. I think to expect face price for a hotly desired game is a bit unrealistic, especially something where trust is involved.

Just my thinking. I was hoping someone would know of a safe, scam-proof way of doing it.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Stubhub.com is the way to go. They guarantee their transactions.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Stubhub.com is the way to go. They guarantee their transactions.

I'd go this route as well...I don't mind paying a few extra bucks when I know I'm not going to be ripped off/turned away at the gate come game time.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
Cuckoo
College Starter

Yeah, that's probably what I'll end up doing. But they're up to 109 now for the nosebleeds... From what I hear about those seats at Cowboys stadium, I might just stay home.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 11-29-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
cougarfreak
College Starter

Especially since you will be traveling some distance to the venue, I'd go the stubhub route.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post

This is pretty much what I came to post.

I have Penguins tix. I can forward/sell/print an online paper copy of my seats. When this happens, the original bar coded tickets are now uselss--paper copies given new bar codes.

But, of course, nothing stopping me from selling those originals to some poor sucker. Not that I'd ever do that!

So yes, I'd be wary. Especially with someone who may not be a regular at that board.

I've twice emailed copies to people I've met on a Pens board. One guy I had the check literally the following day, he put it in the mail the prior morning.

Second time...no check for awhile, he of course was seen around the site infrequently after that. I saw him posting once again looking for seats...so took it upon myself to warn the other posters I was still waiting for payment from about 3 months earlier. Of course everyone piled on him, and miraculously, that check that appeared in a few days.

So the point of all of this? Like Mike Brady taught the boys "Caveat Emptor"
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Is an in person meet out of the question?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Is an in person meet out of the question?

Based on his message, it sounds like it, as I wouldn't be able to meet him until gameday and he wants/needs to take care of it in advance.

He's not a regular on that board, and that was one of the main issues with my concern.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:02 PM   #12
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
Yeah, that's probably what I'll end up doing. But they're up to 109 now for the nosebleeds... From what I hear about those seats at Cowboys stadium, I might just stay home.

Depends on the location. The game I went to we were in the upper deck at around the 30 yard line. Lines of sight were great. You could see the whole field, and watch the plays develop. And the ginormous screen is right at eye level there as well. Can't vouch for the end zone nosebleed seats.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

10 years ago I wouldn't have done it. Now I'd probably do it as long as you can reasonably verify he is legit.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote