Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-19-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile... The Redskins Still Suck

All of today's idiocy got lost in the Papal coming out party.

First, Vinny releases a press statement that says the Redskins will not trade the number nine pick, so all you reporters and fans should stop saying they will.

Later, Gibbs comes out and says not so fast. While he didn't say the Redskins would trade, he made it clear that all options are still on the table.

Finally, the Redskins announce a trade with Denver. The Skins will get the #25 pick this year in exchange for this year's third round pick, next year's fourth round pick and next year's FIRST ROUND PICK! Ther's almost no chance in hell that the Skins will have one of the top seven records in the league, so they'll get a lower choice than the one they gave up and they'll give the Broncos a third and fouth as a free gift.

JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
maximus
Banned

Wow, thats pretty bad.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Mark Brunell to the rescue!!!
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:19 PM   #4
General Mike
Pro Starter

Gibbs is senile
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:23 PM   #5
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dan Snyder spends money on this crap so he can write it off on his taxes.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:30 PM   #6
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Now let's hope that they trade BOTH 1st round picks to the Whiners and grab Rodgers...

Then Rodgers can live up to the Tedford QB legacy...

edit: Sadly, I think I might be half right. I just don't want to see Braylon Edwards as a Deadskin... (But it would make sense for both teams)

Last edited by BigJohn&TheLions : 04-19-2005 at 06:32 PM.
BigJohn&TheLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:32 PM   #7
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips

First, Vinny releases a press statement that says the Redskins will not trade the number nine pick, so all you reporters and fans should stop saying they will.

Later, Gibbs comes out and says not so fast. While he didn't say the Redskins would trade, he made it clear that all options are still on the table.

Finally, the Redskins announce a trade with Denver. The Skins will get the #25 pick this year in exchange for this year's third round pick, next year's fourth round pick and next year's FIRST ROUND PICK! Ther's almost no chance in hell that the Skins will have one of the top seven records in the league, so they'll get a lower choice than the one they gave up and they'll give the Broncos a third and fouth as a free gift.

I think it depends on how you look at it. Maybe there's a player at 25 (or later) that they want that can fill a need this year. It also depends on how much value those 3rd and 4th rounders are next year...maybe those guys will be scrubs, maybe they'll be out of the league. I don't profess to know what they're thinking in their war room, but maybe there's a plan to this.

And maybe they're crazy. Who knows?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:34 PM   #8
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

This only makes sense if they need another first in order to trade up.

I'm just sayin' ...
Old 04-19-2005, 06:34 PM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
I think it depends on how you look at it. Maybe there's a player at 25 (or later) that they want that can fill a need this year. It also depends on how much value those 3rd and 4th rounders are next year...maybe those guys will be scrubs, maybe they'll be out of the league. I don't profess to know what they're thinking in their war room, but maybe there's a plan to this.

And maybe they're crazy. Who knows?

I am going with that last one there. A classic move by a terrible franchise. I can't wait to read the papers here tomorrow and hear the squawking! The 'Skins have no idea who will be available at 25. Also, the odds that their 2006 pick will be at 25 or lower is very small, so the extra third and fourth rounders are just gravy for the Broncos. I would be pleased if I were a Bronco fan. Of course, I don't like them either, so I don't care.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:36 PM   #10
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Raiders: Yeah, I guess this could turn out well, but the odds are certainly not in their favor. They lost their MLB, CB and #1 WR this offseason and added just Santana Moss, a guy with far lower numbers than Coles. The offense will probably be better this year, but can the defense still be top five?

If they have a plan, I'll be damned if I can figure it out.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:38 PM   #11
Raiders Army
Coordinator

LOL. Not to threadjack, but at least the Raiders made some common sense moves this year. Taking Randy Moss (who's not at the end of his career), getting a decent (yet unproven) RB, and DE. They also resigned Jerry Porter who smoked Champ Bailey in Denver.

The Redskins might be rebuilding or looking to make salary cap moves.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:39 PM   #12
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips

Do you have a link for this? I can't find it.

If it's true, it's a shit trade. They must have enjoyed the ass-raping they got in the Portis trade last year and gone back for more.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:40 PM   #13
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Franklin: I don't have a link. I heard it on The Sports reporters on 980 while driving home. I'll look around a bit and see if I can get confirmation.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:41 PM   #14
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Do you have a link for this? I can't find it.

If it's true, it's a shit trade. They must have enjoyed the ass-raping they got in the Portis trade last year and gone back for more.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8401083

Redskins deal with Broncos to get another first-round pick

April 19, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

ASHBURN, Va. -- Hours after declaring they wouldn't trade their ninth overall selection in Saturday's NFL draft, the Washington Redskins acquired another first-round spot, the 25th overall, from Denver on Tuesday.

Advertisement
The Broncos received the Redskins' third-round choice (76th overall) this year, plus Washington's first-rounder and fourth-rounder in 2006.

The trade should enable the Redskins to address dire needs at cornerback and wide receiver, both strong positions in this draft.

Earlier Tuesday, after the Washington Post reported the Redskins were discussing a trade that would send the No. 9 pick to the Oakland Raiders for cornerback Phillip Buchanon and a second-round selection, vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato issued a terse statement intended to put the story to rest.

"That is not true," Cerrato said. "We are not trading that pick."

The Redskins refute reports that they are seeking to acquire Phillip Buchanon for the No. 9 pick. (Getty Images)
That's not to say the Redskins aren't interested in Buchanon. An official within the league, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Associated Press that the team has discussed a possible trade for Buchanon in recent days, but the official said none of the scenarios involved Washington's first-round pick. The official said the Redskins might trade a lower-round pick for Buchanon, but that no deal was imminent.

Even so, Cerrato's statement went beyond quashing the Buchanon story and ruled out any trade whatsoever for the No. 9 pick.

Cerrato was not available for further comment, but coach and team president Joe Gibbs later clarified the Redskins' position on the ninth spot.

"Right now, we've had no discussions with anyone about trading away the ninth pick," Gibbs said. "Are we considering any options we are presented with? Yes. We'll consider anything, but no one has presented a compelling scenario."

In essence, statement Tuesday was a signal to the rest of the league that the Redskins do not consider Buchanon worthy of a first-round pick. Buchanon has said he is unhappy in Oakland, wants a trade, and Washington doesn't want the price tag to go too high.

Top prospects at cornerback and receiver visited Redskins Park in recent weeks. The Redskins need a cornerback to replace Fred Smoot, who departed during free agency, and a receiver is a priority because both Laveranues Coles and Rod Gardner requested trades. Coles was sent to the New York Jets for Santana Moss, while Gardner is still on the market.

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:42 PM   #15
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Another 980 listener!
I was hearing rumors of this on Mike & Mike and on Tony Kornheiser this morning. Of course, I don't follow football at all, so any and all of my knowledge is limited to what I hear in the mornings.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:43 PM   #16
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

www.washingtonredskins.com
Old 04-19-2005, 06:43 PM   #17
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The speed at which numerous citations came is amazing!

From the Washington Post:

Redskins Acquire First-Round Pick

By Joseph White
Associated Press
Tuesday, April 19, 2005; 7:01 PM

Hours after declaring they wouldn't trade their ninth overall selection in Saturday's NFL draft, the Washington Redskins acquired another first-round spot, the 25th overall, from Denver on Tuesday.

The Broncos received the Redskins' third-round choice (76th overall) this year, plus Washington's first-rounder and fourth-rounder in 2006.

The trade should enable the Redskins to address dire needs at cornerback and wide receiver, both strong positions in this draft.

Earlier Tuesday, after The Washington Post reported the Redskins were discussing a trade that would send the No. 9 pick to the Oakland Raiders for cornerback Phillip Buchanon and a second-round selection, vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato issued a terse statement intended to put the story to rest.

"That is not true," Cerrato said. "We are not trading that pick."

That's not to say the Redskins aren't interested in Buchanon. An official within the league, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press that the team has discussed a possible trade for Buchanon in recent days, but the official said none of the scenarios involved Washington's first-round pick. The official said the Redskins might trade a lower-round pick for Buchanon, but that no deal was imminent.

Even so, Cerrato's statement went beyond quashing the Buchanon story and ruled out any trade whatsoever for the No. 9 pick.

Cerrato was not available for further comment, but coach and team president Joe Gibbs later clarified the Redskins' position on the ninth spot.

"Right now, we've had no discussions with anyone about trading away the ninth pick," Gibbs said. "Are we considering any options we are presented with? Yes. We'll consider anything, but no one has presented a compelling scenario."

In essence, statement Tuesday was a signal to the rest of the league that the Redskins do not consider Buchanon worthy of a first-round pick. Buchanon has said he is unhappy in Oakland, wants a trade, and Washington doesn't want the price tag to go too high.

Top prospects at cornerback and receiver visited Redskins Park in recent weeks. The Redskins need a cornerback to replace Fred Smoot, who departed during free agency, and a receiver is a priority because both Laveranues Coles and Rod Gardner requested trades. Coles was sent to the New York Jets for Santana Moss, while Gardner is still on the market.

Also Tuesday, the Redskins re-signed Tim Hasselbeck, their lone remaining restricted free agent. Hasselbeck is expected to be the third-string quarterback again this season behind Patrick Ramsey and Mark Brunell.

Last edited by JPhillips : 04-19-2005 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:43 PM   #18
Franklinnoble
Banned

Crap.

Just crap.

Snyder needs to hire a real GM. Unless they get the next Ben Roethlisburger at #25, this is a dog shit trade made by idiot management that just likes to make news.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:13 PM   #19
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Dan Snyder is so faggoty.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:33 PM   #20
SunDevil
College Prospect

Ouch. You really have to wonder about the management ability of the Redskin's front office, not to mention Job Gibbs as the President. Was he a good coach before? Yes, but he has really done nothing in terms of personnel decisions or coaching that has made me think, that him coming back to the league was a good thing to anyone but the opponents.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 08:59 PM   #21
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Wow... The trade sucks even more ass as the night goes on. Nothing like letting the cat out the bag, giving other teams several days to blow your move up completely, and pissing off the QB you're left with for the second straight year!

Hail to the Deadskins!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...len&id=2041257

Just three years after investing a first-round choice on quarterback Patrick Ramsey, the Washington Redskins are plotting to acquire the possible replacement for the man who currently holds the top spot on their depth chart.

Washington, already slated to pick ninth overall, added a second selection in the first round of the 2005 draft on Tuesday night, acquiring the 25th pick overall from the Denver Broncos. The prospect Washington brass is eyeing at No. 25? Auburn quarterback Jason Campbell.

In return for the Broncos' first-round choice, which Denver officials have been shopping for the past few days, the Redskins surrendered their third-round pick (76th overall) in this year's draft, along with first- and fourth-round selections in 2006. The haul is reflective of the regard in which they hold Campbell, who was 31-8 as a starter in college.

Even before their most substantive predraft review of the position late last week, Redskins coaches and scouts had regarded Campbell as on par with Alex Smith of Utah and California's Aaron Rodgers, generally regarded as the top two quarterback prospects. A lengthy film study of Campbell further strengthened Washington's resolve to move on the Auburn quarterback.

During his 46 appearances for the Tigers, Campbell completed 552 of 854 passes for 7,299 yards, with 45 touchdown passes and 24 interceptions. Despite playing under different offensive coordinators during each of his four seasons, Campbell completed more than 60 percent of his passes all four years. He completed 69.6 percent of his attempts while leading undefeated Auburn to a No. 2 ranking and a 16-13 win over Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl.

The Redskins now must guard against another team jumping ahead of them and grabbing Campbell, one of the draft's fastest rising prospects.

Certainly the flirtation with Campbell is not good news for Ramsey, the Redskins' top pick in the 2002 draft (32nd overall) and the man who finished the 2004 season as Washington's starter. The former Tulane star replaced Mark Brunell in the lineup for the second half of the season and started the final seven games.

Washington might entertain a trade for Ramsey, provided they get Campbell and feel he can play immediately for them. Brunell and Tim Hasselbeck, who on Monday signed his one-year restricted free agent qualifying offer of $656,000, remain on the roster.

For his career, the 26-year-old Ramsey has completed 465 of 836 passes for 5,370 yards, with 33 touchdown passes and 28 interceptions. He has started in 23 of 29 appearances.

Meanwhile, the Redskins say they aren't trading their No. 9 pick, which they'll likely use on a cornerback, but they're not ruling out any possibilities.

"Right now, we've had no discussions with anyone about trading away the ninth pick," team president and coach Joe Gibbs said. "Are we considering any options we are presented with? Yes. We'll consider anything, but no one has presented a compelling scenario."
Old 04-19-2005, 09:02 PM   #22
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
Another 980 listener!
I was hearing rumors of this on Mike & Mike and on Tony Kornheiser this morning. Of course, I don't follow football at all, so any and all of my knowledge is limited to what I hear in the mornings.

/tk

Heh heh, Saben and the local guys in the afternoon (David Aldridge?) were blasting the organization and that was before rumors of this trade came out. Can't wait to hear the 980 guys tomorrow afternoon.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:06 PM   #23
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Why would you make this trade days before the draft? If you are looking for Campbell shouldn't you at least wait and make sure he's available?

6-10 in 2005!
Old 04-19-2005, 10:09 PM   #24
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Jesus this is terrible! Every year it's just getting harder and harder to see what awful decisions the Redskins will make to screw themselves over.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:12 PM   #25
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

for what its worth, you always give up more- its akin to the present value of money. a first round pick this year will always cost moe than a 1st next year. that being said, given the expected differences in the talent pool- I think Washington overpaid. but it happened many times with the 2nd round pick this year being acquired for a 1st the next (Beathard, anyone) or the Kyle Boller trade.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:46 PM   #26
Havok
College Starter

OH MY GOD....... THEY SUCK!!!! GIBBS SUCKS!!!!! SNYDER SUCKS!!!!! EVERYONE SUCKS!!!!!

WE ARE BETTER GM'S THEN GUYS WHO GET PAID MILLIONS TO DO IT!!!!! OMG WHAT ARE THEY DOING!!!!!

UNLESS THEY WIN 4 SUPER BOWLS THIS TRADE SUCKS!!!!! I SUCK!!!!!! YOU SUCK!!!!! HE SUCKS!!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 11:02 PM   #27
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

You know, the Packers sit one spot above the Redskins at #24 and if Pasquarelli's report is accurate they could really mess with the 'Skins plans. While the Packers have pressing needs on the defensive side of the ball, they've also been wanting to grab an heir-apparent for Favre for the last several years. Even if they have no intention of picking him, they could publicly express an interest in him to scare the 'Skins into trading up (perhaps with them?).

Likely to happen? No, but making this trade well before the draft raises the possibility...and gives the Packers (and others) the opportunity to mess with 'em a bit.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:08 PM   #28
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok
OH MY GOD....... THEY SUCK!!!! GIBBS SUCKS!!!!! SNYDER SUCKS!!!!! EVERYONE SUCKS!!!!!

WE ARE BETTER GM'S THEN GUYS WHO GET PAID MILLIONS TO DO IT!!!!! OMG WHAT ARE THEY DOING!!!!!

UNLESS THEY WIN 4 SUPER BOWLS THIS TRADE SUCKS!!!!! I SUCK!!!!!! YOU SUCK!!!!! HE SUCKS!!!!

So.. who swallows?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:26 PM   #29
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
You know, the Packers sit one spot above the Redskins at #24 and if Pasquarelli's report is accurate they could really mess with the 'Skins plans. While the Packers have pressing needs on the defensive side of the ball, they've also been wanting to grab an heir-apparent for Favre for the last several years. Even if they have no intention of picking him, they could publicly express an interest in him to scare the 'Skins into trading up (perhaps with them?).

Likely to happen? No, but making this trade well before the draft raises the possibility...and gives the Packers (and others) the opportunity to mess with 'em a bit.
I wouldn't say this is that farfetched. If some of the better rush DEs, S Davis and the OLBs are gone, there may not be value in GB's need areas at 24. Therefore, with two picks in the second round, GB may take Campbell at 24 with an eye on LB and safety in round 2.

All that said, I am still hoping for a defensive player and if they do want a QB, I would recommend getting Frye in the 2nd. There are too many needs on the defensive end for GB to get a "2nd round talent" QB at No. 24.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:32 PM   #30
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

His father would have sucked but I didn't have 5 dollars.

Anyone remember which comedian said this? I've always loved the quote but can't remember to give them credit.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:33 PM   #31
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie

Very not likely to happen, since one of the almost certainties in the draft is the Packers love for Charlie Frye.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:43 PM   #32
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Very not likely to happen, since one of the almost certainties in the draft is the Packers love for Charlie Frye.
There was also a "certainty" in the draft in 2002 that GB was enamored with Rex Grossman. Of course, it was later shown to be false when a GB beat writer talked to the Packer brass right before the draft started and the only QB GB had interest in was Kyle Boller. So, this wouldn't be the first time the Packers created a bit of a diversion with the QB they liked.

Last edited by Arles : 04-19-2005 at 11:44 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:49 PM   #33
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
There was also a "certainty" in the draft in 2002 that GB was enamored with Rex Grossman. Of course, it was later shown to be false when a GB beat writer talked to the Packer brass right before the draft started and the only QB GB had interest in was Kyle Boller. So, this wouldn't be the first time the Packers created a bit of a diversion with the QB they liked.

Didn't hear that. If true then GB needs a better scouting staff.

Kyle Boller, heir apparent to Brett Favre....

TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:55 PM   #34
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Well, atleast they didn't trade up to get him

In all seriousness, though, I would be more than happy if GB could somehow grab Frye with one of their two second round picks.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:22 AM   #35
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Didn't hear that. If true then GB needs a better scouting staff.

Kyle Boller, heir apparent to Brett Favre....

Yeah, their scouts are almost as bad as the Chargers' scouts who said Drew Brees would be a good QB... oh wait.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:54 AM   #36
JeeberD
General Manager

I heart this thread.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 01:16 AM   #37
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

i heart charlie frye
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 02:02 AM   #38
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
OH MY GOD....... THEY SUCK!!!! GIBBS SUCKS!!!!! SNYDER SUCKS!!!!! EVERYONE SUCKS!!!!! I SUCK!!!!!! YOU SUCK!!!!! HE SUCKS!!!!

Now this is faggoty.

Last edited by BigJohn&TheLions : 04-20-2005 at 02:02 AM.
BigJohn&TheLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:36 AM   #39
wade moore
lolzcat

sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:43 AM   #40
Bee
Pro Starter

I wouldn't consider this a horrible trade if it happened at the 25th pick and there was someone there they had rated really high on their board, but this far ahead of the draft when you have no idea who's going to be there at 25? Doesn't make sense to me.

If it's part of a package to move up to the top pick, I really wonder who they think is worth giving up so much to get.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:52 AM   #41
moriarty
College Starter

This franchise just is starting to sound like dumb and dumber. First the press release nonsense followed by this trade. Maybe they have some great plan ... but I doubt it. I certainly hope they didn't make this trade in the hopes that Jason Campbell would be available. I'm not sold on him being a NFL QB ... not to mention that you could have always waited to make this trade to see if he was still available at that pick.

And even if you did pick him and played him right away (I'm assuming they can't keep Ramsey, Brunnell and him ... and Ramsey would have to go w/ Brunnel's contract) or had to start Brunnel, they'll have an awful year and their first round pick given to Denver will be in the top 10 again next year.

Sigh, I hope there's more here than meets the eye.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:52 AM   #42
JeeberD
General Manager

I bet Snyder is going after Matt Jones, just to spite Jerry Jones...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:12 AM   #43
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
Gibbs is senile

I concur.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:25 AM   #44
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think the whole damn lot over there are idiots, but the only one who comes out of this sounding like he makes any sense is Gibbs. Vinny runs to the press with a completely idiotic denial statement that the team is not trading its pick, no matter what. Gibbs makes a response, trying to steer back to the sensible waters of "well, we'd listen to offers, wejust aren't in the midst of a deal right now..."

I'm not wild about this trade up to 1(25) -- but it's long-held wisdom that waiting a year for a draft pick lessens its value by a round or so. So, by conventional wisdom, nobody would trade this year's 1(25) for next year's 1(20), all things equal. Players of text sim games, where a "season' passes by in an evening, tend to lose sight fo the fact that waiting a year is a long, long time -- especially when it's this year's team that determines whather your GM contract gets renewed.

I still think the 'Skins overpaid (as usual) but I don't think it's a completely foolhardy deal, like some are arguing here.

Last edited by QuikSand : 04-20-2005 at 08:25 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:29 AM   #45
rkmsuf
Head Coach

It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless they have someone in mind that will require extra ammunition to get. The only think I can come up with is they really like Smith or Rodgers. Corner is there with #9. Receiver is there with their second round pick. What the heck is 25 for?
Old 04-20-2005, 08:31 AM   #46
henry296
College Starter

Latest reports out of DC is that they really like Jason Campbell and will take him with #25. Although if that is why they make the trade why not wait to make sure he will be there.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:32 AM   #47
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I just question the sanity in making a trade up for a high pick when you dont know even who will be on the board. I would think that on draft day you can probably get a much higher trade up, and get who you want off the board. Just seems like the Skins give up excessive value(generic chart wise). I wish something this sweet would have landed on the steelers lap.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:33 AM   #48
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
Latest reports out of DC is that they really like Jason Campbell and will take him with #25. Although if that is why they make the trade why not wait to make sure he will be there.

Especially now that #10-#24 know that if they like Campbell they better take him. Unless it's a classic misdirection. Are they smart enough to leak that when they have no interest?

Last edited by rkmsuf : 04-20-2005 at 08:33 AM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:34 AM   #49
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
I just question the sanity in making a trade up for a high pick when you dont know even who will be on the board. I would think that on draft day you can probably get a much higher trade up, and get who you want off the board. Just seems like the Skins give up excessive value(generic chart wise). I wish something this sweet would have landed on the steelers lap.

The other side to that is that if they do wait until draft day, and the player they want is still there, I bet the price of that pick goes up.
jetpunk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:37 AM   #50
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpunk2000
The other side to that is that if they do wait until draft day, and the player they want is still there, I bet the price of that pick goes up.

I'm not so sure. If a team is up against the cap, and not enamored with anyone, a 3rd this year, 4th and 1st next year is a pretty awesome deal. The skins definately paid retail here.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote