Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-09-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

EHM 2005: Let's Go Jackets - Redux

Okay, since the end of the Lockout and the Blue Jackets signing some good players, I'm itching to play EHM again, and give the CBJ's a go, again.

I'm not sure how i'm going to go about doing each post, but I'm leaning toward a month-to-month basis, going over the high and low points over the month, how the league is looking, and any prominent moves. Questions about the other teams are encouraged and I'll try to respond ASAP.

Well, here we go!

TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

September 2004:

We start off by looking at our roster, and realize how bad we are going to be this year. Our defense is atrocious, with no real top line guys on our team. We currently have:

D Luke Richardson - over the hill, terrible signing by MacLean, he'll stay on the roster for leadership, and play on the 3rd pairing.

D Scott Lachance - another bad MacLean signing, he'll find himself on the 2nd or 3rd pairing, but I would love to move his contract if I could.

D Radoslav Suchy - a great acquisition by MacLean as one of his last moves as the GM, he'll find himself on the first pairing unless we pick someone up.

D Rostislav Klesla - the future #1 D-man, was the first CBJ draft pick, should play on the first line this year, unless we get two good D-men.

D Duvie Wescott/Aaron Johnson - both are in the same boat here, will make the roster if we only sign 1 FA, but if we pick up 2, look for Johnson to be the top guy in Syracuse.

D Jaroslav Spacek - RFA, don't know where he fits in this team at all, we'll be looking to move him.

The goalies are pretty good, with Denis as our starter and Irbe as our backup. Denis is about ready to explode and become a very solid starter, and Irbe will be a 1-year backup, who's contract I would love to move as well.

To the forwards, I don't have a top line center to work with, so I would love to sign one.

Top Line:

LW Rick Nash - the cornerstone of our franchise, he'll be with us for years to come, hopefully putting up goal after goal.

C Andrew Cassels - not a #1 center, would love to have him on another line

RW David Vyborny - very quiet player, but very effective, will share time with Zherdev here.

2nd Line:

LW Geoff Sanderson - hefty contract, but I think that he'll be effective here on the 2nd line.

C Todd Marchant - another big contract, but he's very effective on the PK, and has some wheels

RW Nikolai Zherdev - the #1 RW of the future, which could come as soon as this season.

The rest of the team won't be set on any lines, but a couple guys to look our for are Manny Malhotra and Trevor Letowski, a couple of guys who could make some noise.

So, our first moves consist of finding some defense to help our goalies out a little bit. My first target is D Alexei Zhitnik, a puck moving defensemen who has plenty of talent. We offer him a 4 yr deal at 8.4 million, hoping we can get him before anyone else can.

Another play we set our sights on is D Dan McGillis, a tougher D-man, which is what we need. We offer him 3 years at 3.9 million.

On the 3rd, both guys accept their deals and we immediately bolster our defense. At this point, we move D Jaroslav Spacek to the Sens for a 3rd rounder in the '05 draft, which is very nice.

We're hampered at this point financially, so our hopes for a top line center are dashed, and we focus on training camp.

At the camp, we want to take a look at our young guys, and we have a couple who really stood out.

LW Alexandre Picard - the 8th pick in '04, we offered him a contract a day too late, so he'll be joining us next year.

RW Jaroslav Balastik - an overaged Czech at 24, if the transfer window hadn't closed by now, he would be on this team as well.

We play well in our 3 exhibition games (I forgot to schedule more) and win all three, so we have some confidence going into the season.

Right before the season, we have the waiver draft, and leave Irbe and Richardson unprotected, hoping someone would take their contracts off of our hands, but they don't.

However, we pick up three guys who we think will help out

D Andrew Ference - at 25, he's still a good young defensemen, who will be out for 2 months, and at that point, we'll see where he fits on the roster.

C/LW Darby Hendrickson - I thought we could use a guy like him on our roster, and he comes pretty cheaply as well.

G Tom Askey - seems like he could be the backup if we can get rid of Irbe's contract, but he'll help out in Syracuse for now.

We are set for the regular season not expecting too much out of this team, just a little respectability.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:17 AM   #3
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

October 2004:

Here is opening night roster:

Forwards:
Nash/Cassels/Vyborny
Sanderson/Marchant/Zherdev
Svitov/Hendrickson/Letowski
Shelley/Malhotra/McDonnell

Extras - Jackman, Wright

McGillis/Zhitnik
Klesla/Suchy
Richardson/Lachance

Extras - Wescott

Denis
Irbe

Monthly Schedule:

10-9-04 Sharks H NHL 1-5 17140
Code:
Zherdev 10-11-04 Mighty Ducks H NHL 1-2 16366 Vyborny 10-16-04 Red Wings H NHL 3-1 18136 Wright, Zherdev, Marchant 10-18-04 Predators H NHL 4-1 18136 Sanderson 2, Zherdev, Nash 10-19-04 Blues A NHL 5-3 19022 Nash 2, Zherdev, Vyborny, Shelley 10-23-04 Capitals A NHL 3-1 14893 McGillis, Vyborny, Marchant 10-25-04 Oilers H NHL 0-2 15513 10-28-04 Red Wings A NHL 2-5 20053 Sanderson, Vyborny 10-30-04 Blackhawks H NHL 2-1 18136 Nash, Zherdev

Monthly Standings: 5-4-0-0
Yearly Standings: 5-4-0-0 (9th)

We start off very slow, then we get a nice 4 game winning streak and then settle down back to normal. Rick Nash had a great month, with 4 goals and 7 assists and Nikolai Zherdev had 5 goals as well. We're playing some solid defense as well, but I really feel this team will come down to earth as the season goes on.

On the league front, the biggest surprise is the Red Wings, who find themselves at the bottom of the conference with a 2-8 record, as they are just not clicking at all early on. In the Eastern conference, the Thrashers have yet to win a game at 0-7-1-0, and Kolvachuk has a -11 through 9 games, easily the worst in the league.