Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-27-2014, 05:52 PM   #51
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Here's the final table for the 2012-13 Hellenic Premier League.

Code:
Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag G.D. Pts 1st Marlow 38 22 7 9 67 40 +27 73 2nd Wantage Town 38 21 9 8 71 39 +32 72 3rd Highworth Town 38 19 8 11 58 51 +7 65 4th Reading Town 38 18 10 10 58 43 +15 64 5th Shrivenham FC 38 17 9 12 67 48 +19 60 6th Ardley United 38 16 11 11 52 49 +3 59 7th Oxford City Nomads 38 16 10 12 48 38 +10 58 8th Cheltenham Saracens 38 15 9 14 50 48 +2 54 9th Ascot United 38 15 9 14 54 56 -2 54 10th Abingdon Town 38 14 11 13 43 39 -4 53 11th Wokingham & Emmbrook 38 13 8 17 46 62 -16 47 12th Flackwell Heath 38 10 16 12 38 40 -2 46 13th Slimbridge FC 38 12 10 16 46 53 -7 46 14th Thame United 38 11 12 15 46 49 -4 45 15th Binfield FC 38 11 11 16 48 57 -9 44 16th Newbury FC 38 11 11 16 47 60 -13 44 17th Holyport FC 38 8 17 13 48 55 -7 41 18th Witney Town 38 9 14 15 62 70 -8 41 19th Kidlington FC 38 9 11 18 36 57 -21 38 20th Highmoor Ibis 38 8 7 23 48 80 -31 31

Marlow will be promoted to the Isthmian League 1st Division North for next season. It also looks like their club will achieve semi-professional status.

It doesn't appear that a club can be relegated FROM the Hellenic Premier League (at least not in this database). Highmoor Ibis will, therefore, be back with us next year.

Here are some statistics for the players who saw the most action for The Alfredians this season.

Code:
Player Apps Gls Ast AvRat Jack Adams 41(2) 26 12 7.38 Geraint Price 37(3) 4 0 7.13 Jamie Dormer 36(5) 4 8 7.03 Max Noble 33(1) 5 15 7.14 Sam Wilson 33 15 5 7.23 Michael Jatto 31(6) 3 1 7.30 Chris Hall 27(5) 10 9 7.30 Jo Tessem 22(9) 1 3 6.80 Jack Hendry 19(6) 0 0 6.85 Chris Cumming-Bart 18(10) 0 3 6.72 Rob Gier 15(4) 1 3 7.16 John Halls 15(1) 0 1 6.84 Paddy Hester 14(6) 1 0 6.72 Joe Conkleton 13(3) 0 0 6.75 Toby Sumner 12(4) 0 1 6.89 Chris Sim 11(3) 0 0 6.70 Dean Overson 10 0 0 7.05 Alex White 8(1) 0 0 6.98 Lee Canoville 8 1 1 7.13 Samuel Dyer 7(1) 0 0 6.70 Gary Pryde 5(4) 0 3 6.85 Jermaine Botley 4(2) 0 1 6.76 Matthew Reece 4(1) 3 1 7.90 Kevin Asare-Addai 3(7) 0 0 6.70 Jody McKay 3(1) 1 1 6.95 Lee Weemes 2(2) 2 1 7.47 Bobby Medjedoub 0(7) 0 0 6.50 Man of the Match: Jatto 6, Adams 5, Price 5, Dormer 4, Wilson 3, Hall 3, Reece 1, Noble 1, Sumner 1, Canoville 1. Yellow Cards: Dormer 4, Tessem 3, six players with 2, 12 players with 1. Red Cards: Price 1.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 05-27-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #52
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Off-season 2013

The summer months are far from dull when you manage an amateur club. I'll summarize the comings and goings when the players return from holiday in July; for now, let's just say that we'll be getting to know a lot of new lads this season.

It's difficult to keep players on an amateur club when their suitors offer them something I can't match: money. Several of the mainstays of the 2012-2013 Alfredians have already signed part-time contracts with clubs at higher levels, and I'm sure the exodus hasn't stopped yet. So I've been busy looking for new men to take their places.

Meanwhile, here's a little bit of news from the Premier League. Manchester City were the league champions, with 81 points, three clear of runners-up Tottenham Hotspur. Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Liverpool rounded out the top six.

Liverpool sacked manager Brendan Rogers in November, when the club was languishing in eleventh place. New manager Marcelo Bielsa rallied the Reds, who were playing some of the league's best football during the later months of the season.

Swansea City, West Ham United, and Reading will be relegated to the Championship for next season. Their places will be taken by Watford, Bolton Wanderers, and Burnley. Watford were Championship titleists, while the other two clubs were promoted through the playoff system.

Here are some Premier League award winners:
  • Footballer of the Year: Eden Hazard, Chelsea.
  • Manager of the Year: Roberto Mancini, Manchester City.
  • Players' Player of the Year: Wayne Rooney, Manchester United.
  • Players' Young Player: Gareth Bale, Tottenham Hotspur.
  • Top Goalscorer: Olivier Giroud, Arsenal.
  • Golden Glove: Ali Al-Habsi, Wigan Athletic.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #53
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfriars Bobby View Post
21 July 2012

Yesterday, I watched England Trialists IV defeat English Trialists III, 2-1. I'm going to take a closer look at a few of the players I saw there.

As we approach tonight's friendly against Ashford Town (Middlesex) at Alfredian Park, let's meet the players who are currently in the club, starting with the goalkeepers.

Robert Lovegrove
Current Ability: 0.5 stars
Potential Ability: 5.0 stars
Strengths: Jumping 12, Communication 11, Handling 11, Command of Area 9
Weaknesses: Aerial Ability 3, First Touch 3, Throwing 3
I like Robert's ability to organize our back line, but otherwise he's a very ordinary goalkeeper. Incidentally, how is it that a player who is already 27 years old could have such a huge upside?

Old post, but I believe that goalkeepers peak in their early to mid 30's.
korme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #54
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Old post, but I believe that goalkeepers peak in their early to mid 30's.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that, but it does seem like a lot of goalkeepers are still at the top of their game well into their 30s.

The head scout that filed that report was horrible, though. When I hired Anton Sambrook, whose ratings are much better, his evaluation of Lovegrove made more sense.

Lovegrove had a lot of tough luck during 2012-13. He kept getting hurt, and when he was healthy, he carped about not getting first team football. By then I had signed Tom Halsall, and he and Conor O'Donnell were solid in goal for us.

Robert signed with Bitton FC, another amateur club in the Western Premier League, in February, but he hasn't played much more for them.

Thanks for the comment, korme. Stop by anytime.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 05-28-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #55
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

9 August 2013

The first fixture of the Hellenic League season is set for tomorrow, so it's time to meet your 2013-2014 Alfredians. Believe me when I say you have a lot of new players to get to know.

The early weeks of the off-season were bittersweet. I wondered if the stars from last year's side would stick around to see if they could win it all this season, and it turned out that other clubs gave them thousands of reasons to leave Wantage Town. I saw it coming as soon as I realized that Jack Adams, our Supporters' Player of the Year, had secured the services of an agent. You don't need one of those if you're planning to remain an amateur.

Here's a list of the players who have moved on; you'll recognize all of them if you've been following The Alfredians. All of them signed part-time contracts with clubs at higher levels, and I've listed their annual salaries.

Code:
Old Alfredian New Club Salary Geraint Price Hendon FC £7,000 Toby Sumner Thamesmead Town £8,750 Max Noble Oxford City £14,750 Jack Hendry St Neots Town £7,250 Jamie Dormer North Leigh £7,500 Joe Conkleton Harrow Borough £5,500 Jack Adams Canvey Island £19,250 Paddy Hester Maldon & Tiptree Town £9,750 Chris Cumming-Bart Staines Town £12,250 Tom Halsall Merstham £6,000

Sumner, Dormer, and Halsall signed with clubs one level higher, and the others are now with clubs two levels above us. It's hard to argue with a young man who has the chance to make some money playing football. I wish them well, and I'll be following them as they continue their careers.

With eleven departures, including most of our best players from 2012-2013, I had to put together an almost entirely new side. Here are some of the players I expect to feature prominently for The Alfredians this year. Each man's age is listed after his name.

I'll introduce the keepers and defenders in this post, and the midfielders and attackers in the next.

GOALKEEPERS
Conor O'Donnell
(19) is a familiar face. The Northern Ireland U19 international is back for a second season at Alfredian Park.
Simon Eastwood (24) was released from League 1 side Portsmouth after making six appearances for them last season. He's very similar to O'Donnell, but with slightly better mental attributes. Both of the keepers will play quite a bit, unless one clearly takes the job.

DEFENDERS
Michael Jatto
(37), Rob Gier (32), and Chris Sim (19) all return. I also signed Alex White (24), whom we loaned in from Eastleigh late last year. I wanted to do the same with Dean Overson, but he wouldn't sign. White and Sim primarily play left back, Gier on the right, and Jatto in the middle. All of them can fill in at one or two other spots.

Lewis Aird (18) was released by Newcastle United at the end of May. He's got all the qualities needed for stardom in this league; if we keep him very long, I'd be surprised.

League 2 side Bristol Rovers let Michael Smith (24) go on a free on 23 June. Four days later, he was in Wantage Town. He is a right back who likes to push forward; he's not as fast as Aird, but he's a little better technically.

After a long career in the Championship and League 1, veteran Jon Harley (33) arrives to help solidify our back line. He's lost a lot of speed, but he should ba able to make up for that with savvy.

Jordan Rose (23), formerly of AFC Telford United; Spurs reject Thomas Gardiner (18); and Tom Paul (18), ex-Blackburn Rovers, give us additional youth and talent. Paul is more defensive-minded, while Rose and Gardiner are all-around backs.

Jatto is our vice-captain, but he is definitely losing a step, and it's hard to think about not playing him regularly. Right now, however, our best back line would feature Aird on the left, Smith or Gier on the right, and some combination of Rose, Gardiner, and Paul in the center. We'll miss Geraint Price, but we're younger and faster in the back this season, and probably almost as feisty.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #56
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Now, we'll take a look at our midfielders and attackers. Again, each player's age is given after his name.

MIDFIELDERS
Our returners here include player/assistant manager Jo Tessem (41), Chris Hall (30), John Halls (31), Kevin Asare-Addai (19) and Bobby Medjedoub (19). Tessem is much more valuable in the backroom than he is on the pitch now, and I'm hoping I can keep him with me when he decides to stop playing. Hall was a sensation after I signed him last October and I'd love to have him for the whole season this time, but 11 clubs have made offers to him and another nine are interested. I hate to say it, but I'm not counting on Chris to be around much longer. Medjedoub and Asare-Addai are bright young talents.

Halls is a very good DMC, but he's got an annoying habit of not listening during team talks. No matter whether I give it, or let one of the coaches take it, John "doesn't appear to be listening." I wish I had a game option that says "Have Michael Jatto smack him upside the head."

The forecast for Wantage Town calls for a Blizzard...Dominic Blizzard (29), to be exact. He was released from Yeovil Town on a free, and he's one of the guys whom scout Anton Sambrook said we would have little chance of signing. I'm glad Anton was wrong. Blizzard is better than Halls, and hopefully he's a better listener. He's what Chris Cumming-Bart might one day become.

Darren McQueen (19) is another "discard" from Spurs, the first player we signed after the exodus back in June. Our staff thinks Darren is already close to his full development as a player; he's creative, hard-working, and athletic.

Antonie Boland (18) couldn't break in with Blackburn Rovers, but he'll feature prominently in Wantage Town. He's a little raw, but his upside is tremendous.

Sam Gainford (18) is a great story. My son has taken an interest in my game, and last night he said to me, "Try to get someone from Liverpool." He's 10, so the idea of getting Steven Gerrard loaned in sounds like fun to him. "Liverpool would prefer Gerrard to play at a higher level."

Well, when I saw Gainford had been let go from the Reds, I decided to pursue him. He's a good attacking midfielder, good enough to make me consider using an AMR/AML more often this year. Right now, he's rehabbing a pulled hamstring.

We're also waiting for Callum Hope (18) to come back from a groin strain. When he's healthy, he'll figure into the mix in the middle of the park. His offensive game is way, way ahead of his defensive awareness right now.

Lewis Sirrell (19) rounds out our teenage midfield contingent. He was let go by Middlesbrough, and we like his well-rounded game and his ability to play all along the left side of the pitch.

When we play our 4-4-2 diamond, Hall will be the AMC, with Halls or Blizzard at DMC. We'll probably use a flat 4-4-2 more often this season so we can take advantage of Blizzard's skill set more effectively...especially if the maestro, Hall, moves elsewhere. Boland is the next best CM, and we can use McQueen and Gainford on the wings.

I really, really like the combination of players we have here. And, there's one more...

FOOTBALLER
Lee Canoville (32) can, and has, played on the back line and in the middle of the pitch, on both sides, and in the centre. His attributes are still solid by Hellenic League standards, but on paper, he's not supposed to be as good as the other guys who play his position(s). However, when he's on the pitch, good things happen. Lee has played 12 matches in a Wantage Town kit. The Alfredians have won 10 of them and drawn two. Canoville will wear the captain's armband for us this season, and I'm trying to figure out a way to take advantage of his staff attributes, too.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 05-28-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #57
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Oops, I hit "submit" before I profiled the strikers. They'd probably enjoy having the stage to themselves, anyway.

Sam Wilson (18) and Matthew Reece (20), you know. Sam notched 15 goals last year as Jack Adams' partner, and Matthew potted three in four starts. They'll both have to scrap for time this year, though, because some enticing striker candidates were willing to come to Wantage Town.

Shaquile Coulthirst (18) is a slightly faster, somewhat more dangerous version of Wilson; he also comes equipped with a classic name and some nice dreads. Shaq came over to Wantage from Tottenham, along with Gardiner and McQueen. Thank you, Spurs.

Clive Platt (35) is a boss. He's a leader, and he'd like go into coaching or management one day. For now, he's a steely-eyed 6'4" striker who is deadly in the air. Clive isn't flashy, but he's learned enough in over 500 league games (98 career goals) to get the job done in a number of ways.

We signed Tobi Alabi (18) after Blue Square Premier side Ebbsfleet United released him on a free. He didn't score much last year--one goal in 34 appearances--but we think his strength and pace will make him a force in the Hellenic League. Tobi is eligible to play for either England or Nigeria, and he just learned he will earn his first cap for the Nigeria U20 team this month.

Welshman Nathaniel Jarvis (20) gives us another fast, physical presence up front. In fact, Coulthirst, who's a solid 5'10", 163 lbs, is our smallest striker. Jarvis scored 11 times in 37 appearances for Kidderminster Harriers (BSB Premier), so he knows how to find the net.

Jarvis is still awaiting his first Wales cap, but his countryman, Richard Peniket (20), won his at the U21 level last year. Fulham bought him for £100,000, but he never appeared for The Cottagers before they released him in June. He'll definitely turn out for us; he's a little less polished than his teammates, but he's faster than all of them except Alabi.

Are seven good strikers too many? Sam, Tobi, and Richard will probably be away on international duty from time to time. It seems like forwards tire quickly, so I think I'll find playing time for all of them when the fixtures come close together. And, there are a few higher-level clubs flirting with Wilson, too. For now, I'll try different combinations together, seeing who works best with whom.

THE BACKROOM BOYS
Jody McKay
(39) is listed as a striker/attacking midfielder, and he filled in up top a few times in '12-'13, scoring once. As long as he's happy not playing and concentrating on his role as a coach--which he does well--he won't see the pitch this season.

Neither will Anton Sambrook (39), listed as a left back, but doing much more for The Afredians as chief scout. I might allow Jody, Anton, and Jo Tessem play one match together toward the end of the season, if I can.

Incidentally, I wonder what I need to do in order to maximize my chances of keeping Tessem, McKay, and Sambrook as my backroom team after they retire as players?

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 05-28-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #58
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

9 August 2013

The Hellenic Premier League will have 21 teams this season.

Abingdon United and Cinderford Town were relegated down from the Southern League 1st Div. South/West. They are semi-professional clubs, and I expect them to be very competitive in our league.

Ampthill Town have been shifted to our league from the South Midlands Premier Division, another amateur league.

Marlow were promoted to the Isthmian League 1st Division North, and Newbury FC have been shifted to the Combined Counties League Premier Division. I suppose the lateral shifts happen to adjust the geographic balance of the Regional & County Primary Leagues.

I have Jo Tessem handle the friendlies, and here is how they turned out:

20 July: Wells City 0-0 Wantage Town

23 July: Colliers Wood United 1-4 Wantage Town
  • Goals: Lewis Sirrell (7, 38), Jon Harley (78), Clive Platt (86)
27 July: Wantage Town 2-2 Evesham United
  • Goals: Nathaniel Jarvis (50), Chris Hall (89)
30 July: Wantage Town 2-0 VCD Athletic
  • Goals: Sam Wilson (55), Tom Paul (73)
3 August: Harefield United 0-1 Wantage Town
  • Goal: Matthew Reece (74)

Evesham United and VCD Athletic are semi-pro clubs, so I'm pleased with the way our pre-season friendlies turned out. We're a little banged up, though. Sam Gainford's injury is the worst, a pulled hamstring that will sideline him for about six weeks. Callum Hope's groin strain is minor, Lee Canoville's twisted knee is almost all better now, and Simon Eastwood is coming off a case of food poisoning.

So here is how we'll line up for the Hellenic League opener, away to Wokingham & Emmbrook:

4-4-2
GK: O'Donnell
D: Aird, Rose, Paul, Smith
M: Sirrell, Blizzard, Hall, McQueen
ST: Coulthirst, Platt

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 05-29-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #59
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Been following along with this dynasty and enjoy reading it very much. As I am just learning the game, like you, I have to ask - how often do you use players at some of the odd positions? Meaning - positions like conquistador (I know that's not the name, but I don't have the game open right now) or false-9 or whatever? I just learned after reading your dynasty the reason for having an AMC vs. a DMC. Having the choice for many others positions just seems daunting for me (now would I know what to look for on the player side for positions like that).

Thanks, and good luck this year!
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 05-29-2014 at 01:33 PM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:44 PM   #60
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Been following along with this dynasty and enjoy reading it very much. As I am just learning the game, like you, I have to ask - how often do you use players at some of the odd positions? Meaning - positions like conquistador (I know that's not the name, but I don't have the game open right now) or false-9 or whatever? I just learned after reading your dynasty the reason for having an AMC vs. a DMC. Having the choice for many others positions just seems daunting for me (now would I know what to look for on the player side for positions like that).

Thanks, and good luck this year!

I'm amazed at how much I feel like I'm learning about the actual sport from playing Football Manager.

At first, I really only distinguished between very basic positions: strikers, midfielders (right/left/central) and defenders (right/left/central). Those are the spots that are occupied in a 4-4-2 formation.

Then, I realized that, depending on the formation, other position options become available. I noticed that some of these these positions filled in the spaces between the "lines" of the 4-4-2: wing backs and defensive midfielders in the gap between midfield and defense; wings and attacking midfielders in the gap between midfield and striker.

I felt a lot smarter when I started figuring out that a player at each position could play several roles. A striker can be a trequartista, a target man, a deep-lying forward, etc. I spent some time looking at the coaches' reports for each of my players, because the coaches suggest the best possible role for each position the player knows. (As I'm finding out, if your coaches are pretty good, their advice about roles is pretty good, too; if they're lousy, well, they give lousy advice, too.)

Then, it's possible for a player filling a particular role to have different duties. A central midfielder who is best as a ball-winning midfielder can have a "defend "or a "support" duty. A striker filling the role of poacher can only have an "attack" duty.

When I first discovered the coaches' advice, I simply assigned each player to play the role and carry out the duty that the coaches said he was best at. I had no idea how the different roles and duties fit together. The result was ugly beyond belief.

Now I'm starting to get a clue about how the tactics work, and I think I'm getting better at choosing roles and duties for my players that make sense. For example, I'll use a striker who is a Target Man with one who is a Poacher. Or, if I have a full back who has an Attack duty, I'll have the wide midfielder in front of him use a Support duty. And, as a result, the game is a lot more fun; it seems much less "random" and much more engaging now.

At the risk of offending people who know a LOT more about soccer than I do, I'm beginning to see some parallels with other sports.

A basketball team might have two guards on the floor: a point guard and a shooting guard. The point guard might be a pure playmaker who distributes the ball and doesn't shoot much, or he could be a lead guard who both runs the offense and scores a lot. The shooting guard could be a slasher who takes the ball to the rim, or a pure jump shooter who roams outside the arc and fires threes. If you're coaching basketball, you wouldn't want both your guards to be pure shooters; you'd need someone to handle the ball.

Or, a hockey coach might team a slick passing center with a sharpshooting right wing and a tough "power forward" type at left wing. One of the centers might take faceoffs in the defensive zone more than the others.

I hope that makes sense. It seemed to help me understand what I'm doing a little better.

Thanks for the comment, and I hope you enjoy following The Alfredians.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:43 AM   #61
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 September 2013

We're five matches into the season, and The Alfredians sit in the same spot in the table we occupied at the end of last year's campaign: second, one point off the lead.

We won at Wokingham & Emmbrook, 2-0, on a pair of second half goals from Shaquile Coulthirst. Four nights later, at home against Witney Town, we opened up a 3-0 lead, only to see the Blanketmen fire in two goals in three minutes before time ran out. Coulthirst had another goal, with Sam Wilson and Richard Peniket pitching in the others.

The next day, we finally heard from a player we'd tried to sign two weeks ago: Chris Lester, a promising young winger. The supporters are looking forward to seeing what he can do, and he's talented enough to force his way into our first team, at least part of the time.

On the 17th, we biltzed Ascot Town, 4-1. Clive Pratt scored in the game's opening minute, Nathaniel Jarvis found the net twice, and Darren McQueen completed the scoring. It was a beautiful day, we looked like champions, and the only bad thing about the entire afternoon was Chris Lester wrenching a knee. He'll probably miss another week or two.

On the 18th, we said goodbye to Chris Hall, who had been courted by a couple dozen teams for several weeks. He chose to move up one level by taking an offer from Leatherhead of the Isthmian League 1st Division South.

As good as Chris was for us, I think we might well have traded up by signing American Conor Doyle. He can play AMC or striker; in fact, he's decent almost anywhere in the middle of the park. Conor is extremely fast, a deadly finisher, and a slick passer with the presence of a veteran, at only 21 years of age.

Highworth Town were still undefeated, too, and Kidlington FC had won two and drawn one as we all went into action on the 24th. We were the first of the leaders to lose, falling 0-1 to Thame United in a match we shouldn't have lost. We dictated the tempo of the game and led in every meaningful statistical category...except the one that determines the winner of the match. I do need to give a lot of credit to Thame's back line, who didn't miss a thing all match long.

We got back into the winning habit yesterday, however, with a 2-0 victory away to Slimbridge. Doyle got his first Alfredians goal off a nifty pass from McQueen, and Platt converted a cross from right back Michael Smith. Simon Eastwood got his first clean sheet for Wantage Town.

Highworth Town lost yesterday and Kidlington won, so we've settled in a point in back of Kidlington and ahead of Highworth Town on goal differential. We need to get our injured players back on the pitch--McQueen has been added to that list, with a strained neck--but I like the looks of this year's squad very much so far.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #62
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 October 2013

An undefeated month (4-0-0) gave us the league lead over a Highworth Town side that are equally hot. The two clubs have the same record, but we're ahead on goal differential.

We're alternating offensive explosions with 1-0 squeakers. At home against Ardley United on 7 September, we broke loose for a 4-0 victory; four different Alfredians scored goals, including Tobi Alabi, who got his first in an Alfredians shirt.

A week later, we faced a tough test, away to Kidlington FC. This was one of the grind-it-out matches, and we won it 1-0 on a goal by center back Thomas Gardiner, who headed in a corner midway through the first half. Simon Eastwood posted his third straight clean sheet, making a case for a regular job in goal. I'm still hoping to get Conor O'Donnell and George Lawton some playing time, since they both played well for us last season.

Lawton got the call for our next match, at home against Abingdon Town on the 24th. This time, six players scored in a 6-2 victory. Conor Doyle amassed a goal and two assists before I subbed him out on 49 minutes. Dominic Blizzard was Man of the Match, and he scored a goal...a fairly rare treat for a defensive-minded midfielder.

And we returned to the 1-0 pattern four days later, beating Oxford City Nomads away on a Conor Doyle goal on 68'. It was an ugly game, highlighted only by Doyle's finish and the return of Sam Gainford to the lineup.

The schedule is about to become very congested. Today we travel to Reading for the first leg of our Hellenic Cup tie, playing on three days' rest and with another League match on the 5th. We also have a stretch of three matches between the 12th and 19th.

Maybe the best news of the month: the board approved my request to add another coach to our staff! I think I might go the player/coach route, since it worked so well with Jo, Jody, and Anton. I'll take a look and see who might want a job.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #63
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Thanks much for your PM regarding guidetofootballmanager.com. I actually found that site about a month ago and it has a wealth of information! I'll have to plow forward with a team of my own in order to get involved and hopefully understand what I'm doing. So far, the teams I've run with FM2014 have been terrible, and I just feel like I know just "enough" to not have a clue as to why my team is doing awful. Probably just time to dive in after learning a bit more through your dynasty...

Good luck and I'll continue to watch - looks like you have the makings of a juggernaut
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 06-01-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #64
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Quote:
Good luck and I'll continue to watch - looks like you have the makings of a juggernaut

Thanks, Craig. When the kids' school year ended, we took a vacation, so I didn't play any Football Manager for a while. Now that I'm back home, I'll be picking up The Alfredians' story again.

I do have an interesting FM-related story from our vacation, though. My sister and her family were vacationing with us, and it turns out my brother-in-law is a fairly avid FM player. He knows much, much more about soccer, and about Football Manager, than I do. My sister is actually glad I've picked up the game. "Now he won't try to get me to talk to him about it," she points out.

As you'll soon read, The Alfredians won all six matches they played during October. They and Highworth Town are running away with the Hellenic League. I'm under no illusions about my ability as a football manager, so I know I can't claim much of the credit for my side's amazing run. I was talking to John (my brother-in-law) about it, and he had a few interesting insights.

I gave myself the credentials of an international footballer when I started the game. As a player, I was capped 79 times for England. I figured that resume would keep me from getting sacked as soon as I bungled Wantage Town to the bottom of the table. As John sees it, that created a situation that I was able to work to my advantage.

He pointed out that I could attract much better players to the club than I probably could land if my managing alter-ego wasn't so well-known as a footballer himself. The club is currently loaded with very good players in their late teens and early 20s. As John put it, "Those boys might have worn your shirt when they were 8, 10 years old. It makes sense that they'd want to play for you now. Imagine Drew Brees becoming the football coach at a private school after he retires. Do you think teenage boys who are good football players might want to play for that school?" That made a lot of sense to me.

And, because all the players are on amateur contracts, I can sign as many of them as I want without breaking my budget. I have no budget. I looked at the rosters of the other clubs in our league, and Wantage Town's roster is much bigger. I suggested to John that I let the extra guys go, but he cautioned me against that. He thought it might destroy the players' morale, as they feared the purge might get them next. Then I'd be spending too much time helping my players feel better. He thinks I should complete the 2013-2014 season, try to win the league and a cup or two, and see what happens next year. If Wantage Town are promoted to a semi-professional league, the perfect storm that allowed me to assemble the side I have now will probably go away. For one thing, we might become a semi-pro club, and then I'd have to find a way to pay the players.

If John is right about what's happening, I'm very impressed--not with my managerial talents, but with the game engine. It's complex enough that young players will more readily sign with a manager who has an international reputation, even if he's managing an amateur side, which is very cool.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #65
Izulde
Head Coach

Re-reading this is quite helpful, and glad to see you're picking it up again

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #66
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 November 2013

The Alfredians continue to enjoy a magical autumn, with three victories in league play and three more in cup competitions. The lads scored 24 goals and conceded 5 during October.

We defeated Reading Town, 6-1 on aggregate, in the first round of the Hellenic Challenge Cup. Shaquile Coulthirst and Conor Doyle each had a brace in the first leg at Reading, and Richard Peniket did the same in our home tie. We lost in the first round of this competition last year (on penalties to Tuffley Rovers), so it was nice to advance this time around.

On the 19th, we traveled to Winsford for the first round of the FA Vase. We won 3-0, but the most remarkable thing about the game was its chippiness. Referee Atkinson pulled six cards--five yellow and a red--and Winsford United finished the match with ten men. Sam Gainford, Clive Platt, and Coulthirst were our scorers.

In our first league match of the month, we won 3-0 away to Flackwell Heath, on goals from lads who don't score often--one from center back Angus McDonald off a corner, and two from Lewis Sirrell, who had a great game on the left wing.

Next, we went to Ampthill Town and won a 6-3 goal fest. Toby Alabi netted a hat trick, while Callum Hope, Nicky Deverdics, and Nathaniel Jarvis also found the net. Hope broke his wrist, which put a real damper on the afternoon. He'll be out for about six weeks.

The fans were delighted with a 6-1 pasting of Shrivenham FC at home, which featured a Conor Doyle hat trick and single goals from Platt, Thomas Gardiner, and Darren McQueen.

As well as we've played, Highworth Town are right there with us at the top of the league table. We've won 11 and drawn one; they've won 10 and drawn one. We face them for the first time on 11 November, at their grounds, in what could be our biggest match of the season to date.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #67
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Re-reading this is quite helpful, and glad to see you're picking it up again

Thanks very much. That's something, coming from someone who has significantly more Football Manager experience than I do. I've learned quite a bit from reading your FM dynasty stories, too, and they're always extremely entertaining. I'm glad you're following mine.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #68
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfriars Bobby View Post
Thanks, Craig. When the kids' school year ended, we took a vacation, so I didn't play any Football Manager for a while. Now that I'm back home, I'll be picking up The Alfredians' story again.

I do have an interesting FM-related story from our vacation, though. My sister and her family were vacationing with us, and it turns out my brother-in-law is a fairly avid FM player. He knows much, much more about soccer, and about Football Manager, than I do. My sister is actually glad I've picked up the game. "Now he won't try to get me to talk to him about it," she points out.

As you'll soon read, The Alfredians won all six matches they played during October. They and Highworth Town are running away with the Hellenic League. I'm under no illusions about my ability as a football manager, so I know I can't claim much of the credit for my side's amazing run. I was talking to John (my brother-in-law) about it, and he had a few interesting insights.

I gave myself the credentials of an international footballer when I started the game. As a player, I was capped 79 times for England. I figured that resume would keep me from getting sacked as soon as I bungled Wantage Town to the bottom of the table. As John sees it, that created a situation that I was able to work to my advantage.

He pointed out that I could attract much better players to the club than I probably could land if my managing alter-ego wasn't so well-known as a footballer himself. The club is currently loaded with very good players in their late teens and early 20s. As John put it, "Those boys might have worn your shirt when they were 8, 10 years old. It makes sense that they'd want to play for you now. Imagine Drew Brees becoming the football coach at a private school after he retires. Do you think teenage boys who are good football players might want to play for that school?" That made a lot of sense to me.

And, because all the players are on amateur contracts, I can sign as many of them as I want without breaking my budget. I have no budget. I looked at the rosters of the other clubs in our league, and Wantage Town's roster is much bigger. I suggested to John that I let the extra guys go, but he cautioned me against that. He thought it might destroy the players' morale, as they feared the purge might get them next. Then I'd be spending too much time helping my players feel better. He thinks I should complete the 2013-2014 season, try to win the league and a cup or two, and see what happens next year. If Wantage Town are promoted to a semi-professional league, the perfect storm that allowed me to assemble the side I have now will probably go away. For one thing, we might become a semi-pro club, and then I'd have to find a way to pay the players.

If John is right about what's happening, I'm very impressed--not with my managerial talents, but with the game engine. It's complex enough that young players will more readily sign with a manager who has an international reputation, even if he's managing an amateur side, which is very cool.

Very interesting points.

I've always played FM as the real-life me - "Hi, I'm an American with no football experience. Come play for me!" I never realized that "keeping it real" could actually be making the game more difficult for me.
how do you know?

Old 06-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #69
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Quote:
Very interesting points.

I've always played FM as the real-life me - "Hi, I'm an American with no football experience. Come play for me!" I never realized that "keeping it real" could actually be making the game more difficult for me.

Sometimes, I wish I'd "kept it more real." It would probably be a different kind of challenge. Still, it's fun to have a strong club, which poses its own challenges.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #70
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 December 2013

November was a busy month, with seven matches in four different competitions. However, there was an 11-day break in there, which has made the past 10 days insane. In the midst of all that activity, we were knocked out of one cup competition, which will ease the congestion a little in the months to come.

Goodbye
If you haven't seen some of the names you used to know from The Alfredians, it's because some of them are no longer in the club. I haven't updated the list of transfers out in a while, so I'll catch up now.

20 October: Bobby Medjedoub to Leatherhead
I wouldn't have minded keeping Bobby around longer. He is young and has good potential, but he pouted about a lack of playing time and when I gave him a chance, he got destroyed in both first team matches he played. With Leatherhead, he's gotten in five matches (three starts) and has played decently. He's signed for £8,750 for the remainder of the season.

22 October Sam Wilson to Leatherhead
This one hurts a little more, because Sam had such a good season for us last year. But, with our forwards all playing so well, it was hard to get Sam into the lineup and, when the Tanners dangled £13,500 in front of him, he said goodbye to Wantage Town. I bid him farewell with a positive comment to the press. He's scored a goal and two assists in seven starts with the Tanners.

24 October: Samuel Dyer to Mangotsfield United
I had high hopes for Samuel when I brought him in last year, but Chris Hall (who on paper isn't as good a player) outplayed him and forced him to the second team. And, with Conor Doyle locking down the AMC spot this season, Dyer decided to take a £7,750 contract from the Mangos. Samuel is off to a great start in his new home: 1 goal, 3 assists in 5 games. In other words, he's playing like Conor Doyle.

14 November: Chris Sim to Leatherhead
Leatherhead should rename themselves Wantage Old Boys. Their first XI usually features four former Alfredians now, since Chris Hall was already there. Sim didn't benefit much from tutoring with Rob Canoville, and when he complained to the press about playing time, I let him go. He didn't turn out to be good enough for our lineup anyway. Chris is making £8,250, but he's yet to see the pitch.

Hello
With four guys heading out, I signed one new man to help provide some depth.

20 November: Andrįs Stieber (unattached)
Andras is a left wing from Hungary who had spent several years at Aston Villa without ever appearing in a match. He's 22, and he is very polished technically. We'll work him into shape; he's appeared in one match for us already and he played well, setting up a goal with a beautiful pass.

Results
2 November: Wantage Town 3-1 Reading Town
Shaq Coulthirst joined our hat trick club, striking in the match's first minute, just after the half, and in the closing minutes. Conor Doyle, who laid on two of Shaq's goals, rated out at 8.4.

5 November: Abingdon Town 1-4 Wantage Town
Oxfordshire Senior Cup 2nd Round

Tobi Alabi and Clive Platt put us up 2-0 at the half. Abingdon Town pulled one back quickly after the break, but James Armson salted the match away with two late goals.

16 November: Highworth Town 0-3 Wantage Town
After nearly a fortnight without football, first and second in the table met at Highworth. We responded with one of our better matches of the season. Coulthirst and Richard Peniket connected within three minutes of each other in the first half, and Simon Eastwood made the best save I've seen from an Alfredians keeper in the closing minutes of the half. Shaq added an insurance goal on 79 minutes. Our victory put us six points clear of Highworth Town.

20 November: Holyport FC 0-3 Wantage Town
James Armson continues to make his claim for a regular spot in the first team. Appearing in Doyle's place at AMC, he pounced on a loose ball in the box and slotted it home. Then, on 33 minutes, he scored from the spot to give us a two-goal edge. Coulthirst came on as a sub at 75', and ten minutes later, he scored another goal.

23 November: Wantage Town 0-1 Armthorpe Welfare
FA Vase 2nd Round

We were exhausted, and it showed against a plucky side from the Northern Counties Premier Division. Armthorpe Welfare are good enough to take advantage of an opponent who isn't on their best form. That is exactly what happened. We were held scoreless for only the second time all season.

26 November: Wantage Town 2-0 Cheltenham Saracens
Hellenic Challenge Cup 2nd Round, Leg 1

The fixtures keep coming, and this time we grind out a victory on goals from Peniket and Darren McQueen. Getting Callum Hope back from injury helps, because he can play anywhere in the middle of the park.

30 November: Abingdon United 1-2 Wantage Town
This was a satisfying victory, as we spotted United an early goal and had to come back in the second half. Richard Jarvis was the hero, with goals on 62 and 76 minutes. Michael Jatto made his first appearance since injuring his foot in training on 30 October.

Random thoughts
  • Almost all the lads complain about not getting enough training. I suppose that's because we are an amateur club, and the players are usually available to work out only one day a week.
  • Richard Peniket has the best average rating on the club: 7.97. He's scored seven goals and assisted on six more in nine matches. I'm going to use him as our number 10, paired with Shaq, in our "must-win" fixtures. I'm comfortable with Doyle or Armson at AMC, and if I play Conor there, I can use James at central midfielder.