Exceeded my expectations 65 62.50%
Generally met my expectations 26 25.00%
Eh, somewhat disappointed 7 6.73%
Trout 6 5.77%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #501
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I'm realizing that my warrior needs to get a bit better with the bow and arrow to try and get a couple cheap shots in prior to the arrival of hordes of enemies. That's going to be my next focus. Any tips would be appreciated.

The place that is kicking my butt currently (I'm level 11) is the mission for the Gray-Beards (I think, but maybe it is the other clan) where I'm trying to get a guy out of jail. Sheesh.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #502
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
In Bethesda games my companions inevitably become little more than mules.

This, or at least a mule that adds functionality similar to what a mobile turret would provide. A reasonably well-armed mule if you will.

To this point though I'd be lying if I said that having a companion that can't be killed (only knocked out to this point at least) isn't a handy distraction at times.
I haven't run into a case where I thought they made a difference in combat beyond saving me some time & effort though.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #503
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Is Skyrim really much better or would Oblivion with all expansions be a similar experience?

FWIW, I was a huge Oblivion fan - shares responsibility with Fallout 3 for getting me back onto consoles after years away - but so far Skyrim is at the very least its equal & in some ways might be superior. Too early for me to be willing to make that call absolutely though.

I will say that I think Skyrim would be at least a little easier to pick up & play from scratch (i.e. no Elder Scrolls experience) than Oblivion was.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #504
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

My guess too is if you play Skyrim, you won't want to play Oblivion except to hear Patrick Stewart speak.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #505
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
FWIW, I was a huge Oblivion fan - shares responsibility with Fallout 3 for getting me back onto consoles after years away - but so far Skyrim is at the very least its equal & in some ways might be superior. Too early for me to be willing to make that call absolutely though.

I will say that I think Skyrim would be at least a little easier to pick up & play from scratch (i.e. no Elder Scrolls experience) than Oblivion was.

The whole enemies level up as you level up killed it for me...perhaps if I had purchased the PC version and modded I would've been fine but way too many pitfalls if you upgraded your character in the wrong skills.

I /want/ to face risks where the enemy is far better, it lets you know where you stand...I hate the idea of wandering everywhere and always meeting your equal.

For instance, I was doing a couple of missions for one Jarl and realized I was way out of my league...but seeking stolen books for one mission was a cakewalk at my characters level...it wasn't tedious, it was okay, these guys are novices, I'm going to have fun taking them out.

Whereas the hard missions I needed great care in what I was doing...I still managed to offset death but by super stealth and deciding ultimately that I couldn't proceed further because I didn't have the skills to do so...kind of like going up against the Deathclaw quarry (in New Vegas), you either knew you could do it, or you knew you had to wait on it a few levels.

But back to my point with Oblivion it killed the game in my opinion. But that's just my opinion.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #506
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
But back to my point with Oblivion it killed the game in my opinion. But that's just my opinion.

Didn't bother me really so pretty much any combat was a challenge for me for about the first 100 hours or so. Was the first combat of this type I'd done without the aid of VATS in years.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #507
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
To this point though I'd be lying if I said that having a companion that can't be killed (only knocked out to this point at least) isn't a handy distraction at times.

Your companion can die in Skyrim. At least mine did during a boss fight.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #508
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Your companion can die in Skyrim. At least mine did during a boss fight.

Alas, my first character also saw the untimely death of a companion, And truth be told, I actually felt a little bad about it. I did avenge the death, but still...
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #509
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

That's the thing I hate most about companions. THey aren't smart. They don't have hit points or combat sense. If you WERE ThAT Companion, you could survive, so why can't he/she/it?

At LEAST it should let you heal him/her/it.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #510
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
At LEAST it should let you heal him/her/it.

Mine accepts healing spells just fine as far as I can tell. Was definitely possible in Oblivion.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #511
korme
Go Reds

Be wary of traveling far west off the main roads, west of Dragonsreach and the watch towers. It's mammoth zoo out there. At one point, my follower, 2 companions on a mission with me and myself were flanked by 2 mammoths, a giant, and a dragon all at once. Guess who won? The restart button.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #512
korme
Go Reds

Also, somewhere along the way on this mission, Delphine has decided to fight me. She's the reason we're headed to a certain area, so even fighting back I can't kill her. Any way to possibly offset this without having to reload an OLD save?
Old 11-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #513
Peregrine
Pro Starter

What the companions need is some equivalent of the wheel from F:NV - it sucks not to be able to tell them to be aggressive, or use melee weapons instead of ranged.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #514
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
I'm realizing that my warrior needs to get a bit better with the bow and arrow to try and get a couple cheap shots in prior to the arrival of hordes of enemies. That's going to be my next focus. Any tips would be appreciated.

The place that is kicking my butt currently (I'm level 11) is the mission for the Gray-Beards (I think, but maybe it is the other clan) where I'm trying to get a guy out of jail. Sheesh.

Yeah, that was the point at which I restarted my game, having decided that I had learned what I was doing enough to justify doing so. I haven't taken on that mission again yet (just reached L10 again).

However...I did find something called the Lunar Forge. I need to figure out how to use that.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #515
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Also, been playing as a stealthy archer. Thoroughly enjoying the ability to sneak around dungeons and caves and etc., picking people off.

Me also. Seems to be a fun way to play by the number of people leaning that way. I love picking people off from a long distance.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #516
bhlloy
Coordinator

That's how I played in oblivion and it was a blast. I think when I finally pick the new one up I'll go for a stealthy archer with some decent conjuration skills, that sounds like a fun combo to me
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #517
sabotai
General Manager

Started a few new characters to mess around with magic and melee. The character I've been playing has been a rogue character, staying in the shadows and picking people off with my bow. That's how I played Oblivion and Fallout (to a degree - rifles and trying to snipe people). I never really got far with magic or melee characters, but so far (first few levels) I like them.

One thing that's fun for magic users is to put Spark in both hands and pretend that you're Emperor Palpatine.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #518
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
That's how I played in oblivion and it was a blast. I think when I finally pick the new one up I'll go for a stealthy archer with some decent conjuration skills, that sounds like a fun combo to me

You guys would definitely love Thief The Dark Project and THief 2: The Metal Age then
Old 11-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #519
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Mine accepts healing spells just fine as far as I can tell. Was definitely possible in Oblivion.

I was just speaking in general terms of most RPGs really. Not that one specifically. I didn't know at all whether it did or not.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #520
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

You guys are much quicker than I am, that's for sure. Almost up to level 5 after my run through the cave for the shopkeeper and his sister.

Was told by people that I don't look well. Drank a potion that cures disease and so far haven't heard it since. Is there a way that I can tell if I am diseased? Other than people telling me that is.

Just walking around in that world is beautiful. Climbing the mountain in a snowstorm to get to that cave was amazing. Taking me forever as I keep snapping screenshots.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #521
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
You guys are much quicker than I am, that's for sure. Almost up to level 5 after my run through the cave for the shopkeeper and his sister.

Was told by people that I don't look well. Drank a potion that cures disease and so far haven't heard it since. Is there a way that I can tell if I am diseased? Other than people telling me that is.

Just walking around in that world is beautiful. Climbing the mountain in a snowstorm to get to that cave was amazing. Taking me forever as I keep snapping screenshots.

Check your magic menu, active or current effects at the bottom. There are also some shrines that can heal diseases too.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #522
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Check your magic menu, active or current effects at the bottom. There are also some shrines that can heal diseases too.

Thank you
Old 11-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #523
Thomkal
Head Coach

Just in case you hadn't seen and are interested, the Midweek Madness sale for Steam this week is Oblivion-75% off for the next 40 some odd hours.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #524
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Just in case you hadn't seen and are interested, the Midweek Madness sale for Steam this week is Oblivion-75% off for the next 40 some odd hours.

You got my hopes up you bastard!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #525
SackAttack
Head Coach

So I can craft Elven armor now.

Or could, anyway, if I could find some *#!@ing Quicksilver.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #526
Thomkal
Head Coach

heh no sorry Skyrim is not going 75% off for quite a long time I think
Old 11-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #527
Izulde
Head Coach

I might pick up Oblivion for that price if it's still there when I get home. That way I can have the PC goodness with the mods.

BTW, is the 360 controller supported for Oblivion's PC version?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #528
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I might pick up Oblivion for that price if it's still there when I get home. That way I can have the PC goodness with the mods.

BTW, is the 360 controller supported for Oblivion's PC version?

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Co...er_for_Windows
Old 11-15-2011, 10:12 PM   #529
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
heh no sorry Skyrim is not going 75% off for quite a long time I think

Skyrim is still crushing everything else in terms of players on Steam, so it's safe to say it's selling very well and they'll be able to keep it at full price for a while. Right now I think it's got more people playing than the rest of the top 10 combined.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:48 PM   #530
sabotai
General Manager

Just got a bit of a reality check with my mage. It seemed to be easy. Just shoot my "force lightning" and every drops super quick.

That was until a bandit thug ran at me with his two handed sword and, even though I had full (110) health, cut me down.

Last edited by sabotai : 11-15-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #531
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I usually don't pick up the game guides but did for this game. The problem is that I can;t access it. Did anyone else pick up the Steam game guide? If so, are you having any luck with it? I click on the link and continually get that the servers are busy, try again later.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:05 PM   #532
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Just got a bit of a reality check with my mage. It seemed to be easy. Just shoot my "force lightning" and every drops super quick.

That was until a bandit thug ran at me with his two handed sword and, even though I had full (110) health, cut me down.

Yeah, the zweihander stuff will kick your ass even in melee. Every time I've died, it's been because I got whacked with a big ol' bastard sword.

Folks wielding a one-handed weapon I have a much easier time with.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #533
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
what's the general consensus on using followers/companions? Do you use them all the time, or do you sometimes work through a quest chain on your own?
I basically leave mine at the front door with the "wait here" command when entering a cave or fort. That way I can get all of the experience points by killing the bandits and have the follower be a mule to carry all the loot!

Last edited by Bigsmooth : 11-15-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #534
SportsDino
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
I'm thinking of creating a mage today to see if the experience feels different than my warrior.

My second character (my first sellsword died in an unfortunate incident with giants) is a necromancer mage, playing on Expert.

Playing without armor can be brutal, but the gameplay is fairly interesting, but I'd say harder than a warrior (particularly at the start). The game buffs you with some good magicka gear in the starter dungeon though to make it possible.

Efficient play is more important, any use of sword should be a power attack, dart around a bit to avoid taking hits, and in my case use zombies or familiar to clog up the enemy while you run a bit away to get off your next burst of flame. Early on you can get a lot of alchemy ingredients for resist fire, brew a couple of those for the first dragon fight. Leave armor and weapon on zombies, you should be able to find the ash piles easy enough with the glow effect on them. Naked zombies don't last too long I've found.

A follower would probably be a good idea, I didn't find get one (until the obvious one post dragon) and boss fights hurt. Luckilly I grabbed all the free loot in the starter village, so I had carry weight to burn anyway.

If anything, mage is easier than other games because the magic interface is so much more awesome with dual weilding and continuous casting.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #535
SportsDino
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Good tip. I think that only gives you the first effect, though. I know you can also find/purchase recipes. I'm wondering if there's anything else that reveals effects. Getting a high enough level like in previous versions?

One of the perks in alchemy gives you two effects for eating ingredients, but it seems too expensive for the cost.

Rare ingredients are hard to deal with, too much risk to burn them just to learn... but that is the actual art of alchemy, so I like the game mechanic although it gets weaker with repetition (once you know effects from a playthrough you will probably generally recall them in your next game). Burn plentiful ingredients against each other to see what you can find out, save rare ones until you get a house, build up a giant collection, and are willing to experiment. Or buy the game guide which lists everything out.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #536
RainMaker
General Manager

I hate you all for making me order this today. I was planning on holding off but just can't.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #537
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
I basically leave mine at the front door with the "wait here" command when entering a cave or fort. That way I can get all of the experience points by killing the bandits and have the follower be a mule to carry all the loot!

I need to do that. I just learned (the hard way) that giving your follower loot to carry is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, hey - bonus carry weight.

On the other? If the loot you give them is better than what they've got, they WILL equip it.

"Hey, asshole! Stop burning the charges on that thing! You're not going to hit the...oh, you asshole. You got yourself killed. Who's going to carry all that shit NOW?"
Old 11-16-2011, 01:18 AM   #538
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Note to self - I am not prepared at level 2 to take on Giants. All I see is my body bouncing 30 feet in the air.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:23 AM   #539
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

They had to have put those Giants so close to the beginning just to see people bouncing high in the air!

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 11-16-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:30 AM   #540
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

DId anyone here find the Vampire right off the bat?
Old 11-16-2011, 01:31 AM   #541
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

and no I don't have the game and he's not the ONLY vampire I'm sure. But after watching 1000 people demo 15 minutes worth of the game, only 1 person found and killed it.

I don't even know where it is.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #542
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Note to self - I am not prepared at level 2 to take on Giants. All I see is my body bouncing 30 feet in the air.

You can say it with me. Giants suck. C'mon.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:59 AM   #543
SportsDino
College Prospect

If you are interested in trying out vampires:
Spoiler
Old 11-16-2011, 04:48 AM   #544
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I hate you all for making me order this today. I was planning on holding off but just can't.

welcome to the cult.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #545
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
So I can craft Elven armor now.

Or could, anyway, if I could find some *#!@ing Quicksilver.

There's a quicksilver mine in the northeastern most city where you can mine about 5 ingots worth of ore. Also, there's a quicksilver ore spot just to the left of the back way out of the Companions' Underforge.

I don't really play many RPGs but this is one awesome game. I started out as a Redguard and mostly just 2-hand bulled my way through the first few quests, but a few Giant uppercuts have convinced me that sometimes getting your bow and using the high ground is a better tactic. My most recent love has become pickpocketing though. Went all the way from level 11 to level 14 just pickpocketing people around Whitehall. (Note: I cheated hard, saving before I went in for the attempt and reloading if they caught me.)
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #546
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbo Klice View Post
There's a quicksilver mine in the northeastern most city where you can mine about 5 ingots worth of ore. Also, there's a quicksilver ore spot just to the left of the back way out of the Companions' Underforge.

I don't really play many RPGs but this is one awesome game. I started out as a Redguard and mostly just 2-hand bulled my way through the first few quests, but a few Giant uppercuts have convinced me that sometimes getting your bow and using the high ground is a better tactic. My most recent love has become pickpocketing though. Went all the way from level 11 to level 14 just pickpocketing people around Whitehall. (Note: I cheated hard, saving before I went in for the attempt and reloading if they caught me.)

I only just left the first major hold (and that was on accident, as I accepted a quest I didn't /think/ would take me out of that city, but, uh...wha' happen?).

So it might be a while before I get that far.

OTOH, that second major hold? Has some creepy-ass quests so far.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #547
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
DId anyone here find the Vampire right off the bat?

My roommate acquired vampirism at level 15 and ended up restarting because by stage 4, you can't go out during the day and every city attacks you. no fun
Old 11-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #548
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Finished that quest where you trick the redguard woman into going to the stables outside of whiterun to get caught by the kemata (think that's his name) dude. After he paid me my prize I simply killed him after he turned his back to me and then killed the hotty too. Nice loot! Kemata gives up 2 nice blades.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #549
cody8200
High School Varsity

This game seems unfathomably big. Almost overwhelmingly so. I am 12 hours in and haven't finished half of the quests at the first big city. 8 more cities to go afterward...crazy. That's not to mentioned all of the stuff outside of the cities. I have never seen a game with this much content and I have played Fallout NV, Oblivion and Fallout 3 for over 100 hours each.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #550
korme
Go Reds

I officially cannot beat Alduin's Wall as a Level 11 guy. Throwing my hands up in the air, time to do some side quests and get better