Trout 6 5.77%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #601
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Thanks for the post SA - that makes sense to me

Anyone know if there any decent mods out there yet?

The 10 best Skyrim mods so far | PC Gamer
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #602
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

ping thesloppy, re: your spoiler -- I don't believe there's any prerequisite for that particular thing to work. I used it last night (not even remembering what it did until after I used it) and haven't done anything related to that subject at all.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #603
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
ping thesloppy, re: your spoiler -- I don't believe there's any prerequisite for that particular thing to work. I used it last night (not even remembering what it did until after I used it) and haven't done anything related to that subject at all.

Ditto, I randomly found it today, assuming it's probably the same one. Went right up and used it without issue or anything related to it.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #604
Izulde
Head Coach

My archery skill is in red at 15 when it should be 39 even after I cured the bonebreak fever at a temple. Very frustrating, because it's killing me, quite literally. Not sure if it's a glitch or what.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:08 AM   #605
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Question - does Extra Pockets increase your weight limit from 300 to 400? If so, godsend.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:14 AM   #606
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
My archery skill is in red at 15 when it should be 39 even after I cured the bonebreak fever at a temple. Very frustrating, because it's killing me, quite literally. Not sure if it's a glitch or what.

Make sure you go to the magic section and then effects. My guess is you have a disease. Usually red means there is something affecting it.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:07 AM   #607
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't disagree with your description of how "XP" is being handled in Skyrim at all, but the quoted part of your comment jumped out at me as being a weakness of both Oblivion and now Skyrim.

It feels as though there's benefit to things that really shouldn't be beneficial, sneaking gets a boost -- and appears to be the same boost -- regardless of whether there's anyone around to catch you. I occasionally find myself crouched/sneaking at times when I really don't mean to, walking through a town between shops or whatever, somewhere I've just clicked into crouch without realizing it basically ... and suddenly I find out that my sneaking skill has gone up a level.

Do kids get better at catching a baseball if they bounce it off a wall, even if there's nobody there to hit it or throw it to them?

Similar principle. You'll improve either way, but you'll improve more when you have a tangible measurement against which to test yourself. For what it's worth, the vast majority of my sneaking boosts have happened when people are actually around. The ones I've gotten when apparently nobody's around, it may be that there were animals in the vicinity (I think they also count for stealth upgrades).

Quote:
I know, I know, it's the same kind of metagaming that could be done with the old Acrobatics skill in Oblivion just by jumping everywhere you went. It can be a cheap way to level, you're only cheating yourself, blah blah blah, I know all that & I agree with that interpretation to a fair degree. But isn't that a weakness of the leveling system to some extent? And is it an area where we might someday see an evolution that takes context into consideration more?

Better question maybe: is this an area where we gamers really want to see a more sophisticated evolution?

Yes and no. I mean, there's only so much metagaming you can DO anymore. Stealth is pretty much it, unless there's an 'infinite XP' glitch somewhere where you can persuade someone over and over again to get a boost to speech, for example.

Lockpicking? Learn by doing (some by failing, more by succeeding).

Smithing? Learn by doing. I've yet to fail at smithing, so I don't know if the risk/reward thing applies there, but still.

Armor/combat? Learn by doing. I don't think randomly swinging your sword about gives you any boosts. You have to actually hit/kill shit.

Magic? Same thing. Now, I don't know if you can spam destruction or conjuration or what-have-you for boosts, or if, like armor, you have to actually be using it to a purpose.

I feel like the Skyrim XP system is probably the best of any RPG I've played to date. It's tough to build an organic growth system that's free of weaknesses, but Skyrim's manages the job pretty well, IMO.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:35 AM   #608
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Make sure you go to the magic section and then effects. My guess is you have a disease. Usually red means there is something affecting it.

Yeah I cleared out the disease and it was still red. It corrected itself once I went up another skill point, though. Be damned annoying if I was far away from a skill point increase, though.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #609
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Magic? Same thing. Now, I don't know if you can spam destruction or conjuration or what-have-you for boosts, or if, like armor, you have to actually be using it to a purpose.

Pretty sure you can, I mean, a candlelight spell is a candlelight spell (although as dark as Skyrim is there aren't too many places where it doesn't come in handy other than outside in broad daylight)
Old 11-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #610
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Pretty sure you can, I mean, a candlelight spell is a candlelight spell (although as dark as Skyrim is there aren't too many places where it doesn't come in handy other than outside in broad daylight)

I actually tested this with my flame spell (don't know what prompted me to) and applied equal usage in combat and just torching the countryside out of combat.

Never did go up out of combat. Also regarding sneak, I seem to level up quicker in this skill in combat when I am firing arrows hidden and then ducking back into cover FWIW.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #611
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Probably. Although the most important thing I learned today is that if you're walking along and several people warn you about wolves then the last thing you need to worry about are the wolves.

I had a dragon descend on me when I was on the 7,000 steps, killed it in one landing. This woman watched the whole thing, and her parting words to me were "watch out for wolves." Did you not just see me slay a f'ing dragon???
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:41 AM   #612
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I actually tested this with my flame spell (don't know what prompted me to) and applied equal usage in combat and just torching the countryside out of combat. Never did go up out of combat.

Fair enough, I'll gladly stand corrected.

Quote:
Also regarding sneak, I seem to level up quicker in this skill in combat when I am firing arrows hidden and then ducking back into cover FWIW.

Maybe I'm just leveling it infrequently enough to not notice the differences. Off hand, I don't think I've ever (maybe once) leveled sneak when I was intentionally using it to avoid something.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #613
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Question - does Extra Pockets increase your weight limit from 300 to 400? If so, godsend.

Yes. And yes, it's a godsend, especially because by the time you get it you're a good enough pickpocket that you tend to acquire things quickly!

As for powerleveling, Pickpocketing and Smithing have been two places where I've jumped levels fast by spamming something. I think pickpocketing leveling is tied to the value of the item you steal, and if you find a person who has quite a few items of value you can move up a couple levels in the skill right off of them. Smithing, I just kill a lot of animals, make a lot of leather, and smith leather bracers ad nauseum.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #614
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbo Klice View Post
Yes. And yes, it's a godsend, especially because by the time you get it you're a good enough pickpocket that you tend to acquire things quickly!

As for powerleveling, Pickpocketing and Smithing have been two places where I've jumped levels fast by spamming something. I think pickpocketing leveling is tied to the value of the item you steal, and if you find a person who has quite a few items of value you can move up a couple levels in the skill right off of them. Smithing, I just kill a lot of animals, make a lot of leather, and smith leather bracers ad nauseum.

I don't know about pickpocketing, but smithing needs to be nerfed. You get way too much advancement for each item crafted.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #615
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I don't know about pickpocketing, but smithing needs to be nerfed. You get way too much advancement for each item crafted.

It seems to flatten out once you get to the 40's, where it takes maybe 3 or 4 items to level. I think maybe diminishing returns should come into play- my guy is a 46 in Smithing and 95% of his experience has come from making leather bracers.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #616
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Maybe I'm just leveling it infrequently enough to not notice the differences. Off hand, I don't think I've ever (maybe once) leveled sneak when I was intentionally using it to avoid something.

It is really sporadic, I had one 15 minute marathon of duck and cover where I went up 3/4 of a level sniping mages, doesn't happen as much when I am just avoiding creatures, so I agree there.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #617
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Raising your stamina also raises your carrying capacity (thanks, loading tips!)
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #618
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Raising your stamina also raises your carrying capacity (thanks, loading tips!)

Correct. Each time you increase your Stamina by 10 from leveling up you also gain 5 lbs. of carry capacity.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #619
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I actually tested this with my flame spell (don't know what prompted me to) and applied equal usage in combat and just torching the countryside out of combat.

Never did go up out of combat.

That's because Flames is a combat spell and combat magic only gives you experience when it's used to attack a legal target according to one of the loading screen messages.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #620
DataKing
Pro Rookie

5 Personality Flaws Skyrim Forces You To Deal With | Cracked.com
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #621
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

So right on:

"If you had come up to me a year ago, disc in hand, hopeful glimmer in your eye, and said that you'd designed a game about butterfly catching and leatherwork, and asked would I mind giving you some feedback? I would have spat in your eye and thrown it in the sewer, then harvested your tears to sell to a Chinese herbalist.But in a world where you allow me to do anything -- fuel a political coup, join an assassin's guild, slay giants, battle dragons -- apparently green-sourcing my cooking ingredients becomes priority #1."
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #622
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

I don't have the game, so i can't be sure, but I can tell you that Hot Pockets increases your weight from 300 to 400 if you eat enough.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #623
Icy
Pro Starter

Finally bought it today for PS3 and wow, the most beautiful game i have played in PS3 ever, even when i was in love already with BF3.

I tried yesterday a torrent PC version to decide if i wanted it for PC instead, but i decided to go with the PS3 version as graphics are not really that far unless you run it at very high resolution and ultra quality and as my PC is a notebook, i would need to plug it to the TV all the time to see it in a big screen, while the PS3 is just turn on an play.

I might buy it from steam in the future if the mods are too good or add much more to the gameplay and story, but by now the consoles version very good.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #624
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
So right on:

"If you had come up to me a year ago, disc in hand, hopeful glimmer in your eye, and said that you'd designed a game about butterfly catching and leatherwork, and asked would I mind giving you some feedback? I would have spat in your eye and thrown it in the sewer, then harvested your tears to sell to a Chinese herbalist.But in a world where you allow me to do anything -- fuel a political coup, join an assassin's guild, slay giants, battle dragons -- apparently green-sourcing my cooking ingredients becomes priority #1."

For me it's having someone tell me they're going deer hunting and the only thing I can think to say is, "Be sure to crouch so your sneak attack will deal double damage. Will be good to get some deer hides so you can practice making leather armor, but be sure to be on the look out for iron ore deposits, iron daggers are the best way to level up smithing. Probably best to leave the venison, its not worth how much space it takes up with how little you can sell it for. Potions are better for healing anyway, you should spend most your time picking flowers."
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #625
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
For me it's having someone tell me they're going deer hunting and the only thing I can think to say is, "Be sure to crouch so your sneak attack will deal double damage. Will be good to get some deer hides so you can practice making leather armor, but be sure to be on the look out for iron ore deposits, iron daggers are the best way to level up smithing. Probably best to leave the venison, its not worth how much space it takes up with how little you can sell it for. Potions are better for healing anyway, you should spend most your time picking flowers."

I am terrible at spotting iron ore deposits. Any tips?

Old 11-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #626
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

15 hours in, and I just got to Whiterun - I want wandering off to some caves I found (some "pass"), and some Fort overrun by bandits which I cleaned out. Its just pure sandbox mode, and I love it.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #627
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

I had been missing quite a fee before I figured it out, I think it basically comes down to noticing the lines in the rocks that ore has. I'll see if I can find some screen shots when I get home from work.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #628
Grover
Pro Starter

Just finished the Red Eagle quest, pretty sweet weapon drop from him.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #629
bhlloy
Coordinator

Wife: we need to stop spending money on anything but essentials
Me: cool, no problem
FOFC: posts a bunch bout skyrim and how awesome it sounds
Me: shit
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #630
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I deem it essential that you play this game.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #631
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:

there is a mod on skyrimnexus with more noticable ore texures
Old 11-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #632
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I have no clue that iron ore was available anywhere - figured you had to mine it. Any tips for the console?
Old 11-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #633
Izulde
Head Coach

Ran into one boss that's a real assfarmer. I'm at lvl 20 so maybe I'm not strong enough for him yet. Might be a case of having to leave and come back later.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #634
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

...Assfarmer?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #635
Peregrine
Pro Starter

For Iron Ore, check all the Mines you see - I know there is some in the Embersomething mine near the first town you start in. All the ores look like rocks with threads of different colors through them - until you get the hang of it just run around looking at all the rocks and look for the option to activate them. You can also buy iron ingots and sometimes ore from most blacksmiths.

Also, you know you are playing too much Skyrim when you are driving to work and pass some flowers in the median and immediately think you better press E and collect those for alchemy.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #636
SackAttack
Head Coach

I get ore/ingots from blacksmiths, yeah. I've also noticed, like...Oblivion was like this with plants - the ones that were bright and vibrant were harvestable, where the ones that were duller were part of the background. Same here.

Same also with the rocks. It seems like the mineable rocks are shinier than the regular rocks (except the ones with moss growing on them that makes them look like gold deposits).
Old 11-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #637
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Also, you know you are playing too much Skyrim when you are driving to work and pass some flowers in the median and immediately think you better press E and collect those for alchemy.

I think that's how you know you're meeting your daily recommended allowance of Skyrim, not "too much"

This happened so frequently with me during my Oblivion binges that my son actually mentioned it the day Skyrim came out, that I'd now start taking more of an interest in flowers & plants around me. Sure enough, I've flinched at the sight of numerous "snowberry" bushes & shrubs here around town this week.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #638
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I think that's how you know you're meeting your daily recommended allowance of Skyrim, not "too much"

This happened so frequently with me during my Oblivion binges that my son actually mentioned it the day Skyrim came out, that I'd now start taking more of an interest in flowers & plants around me. Sure enough, I've flinched at the sight of numerous "snowberry" bushes & shrubs here around town this week.

I will admit I threatend to tan the dogs hides today and turn them into leather strips
Old 11-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #639
Qrusher14242
High School JV

dang, was wandering around and

Spoiler
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #640
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ok, my daughter wants to play too and I don't want her playing my save, so I assume she can start a new game and save on her own? How does the game saves work.. I just want to make 100% sure she doesn't play my save or over write it. (x360)

Thank you.. I'd have to send her away if she did that.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #641
mckerney
Coordinator

Finally came across some iron ore tonight.

First, just a regular rock, outdoors I don't remember seeing any ore on rocks like these, though I haven't explored that much of Skyrim.

A bed of iron ore. When outdoors they're usually on a flat rock area like this. You can see the shiny parts that are the ore.

Another angle.

After the ore has been mined to see what shiny parts indicated ore.

Daytime for a little better view of shiny. Also, click on images for fullscreen shot.

I'll post some picks of ore in caves, though I've found that's a bit easier to spot. Went searching through a cave to find some but only found a vampires den. Thankfully they were no match for my bow and I got some nice loot out of it.

Last edited by mckerney : 11-18-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #642
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Ok, my daughter wants to play too and I don't want her playing my save, so I assume she can start a new game and save on her own? How does the game saves work.. I just want to make 100% sure she doesn't play my save or over write it. (x360)

Just to be safe, I'd throw my save on a memory card and pull it when I was through. They can easily get overwriten when you aren't paying attention. (as someone who has screwed up saves before that way)
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #643
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

I wonder...if you set her up her own profile on the 360, will your saves show up while she's signed in to her profile?
Old 11-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #644
Grover
Pro Starter

Thanks for the pics mckerney!

Old 11-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #645
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I have succeeded in filling up the favorites bar, to the point that it is no longer any more efficient than just going to my inventory. Congrats to me?
Old 11-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #646
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Just to be safe, I'd throw my save on a memory card and pull it when I was through. They can easily get overwriten when you aren't paying attention. (as someone who has screwed up saves before that way)

Good idea!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #647
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I wonder...if you set her up her own profile on the 360, will your saves show up while she's signed in to her profile?

Another great idea, I'll try that!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #648
Grover
Pro Starter

I have found the iron ore motherlode.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #649
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: saves -- It looks as though they work similar to Oblivion, but with an extra auto-save (or two) thrown in. You can save numerous times on your own (don't know if there's a limit) but make sure that you've got solid save points of your game rather than relying on autosaves, yours will get overwritten with hers as she plays.

Then you just have to make sure that she loads her saved game and you load your saved game when you return to play the next time. The ones that are close together in the save list are where it becomes easy to screw up a different person's game (or your own different playthrough).
Old 11-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #650
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

Quote:
I have found the iron ore motherlode.

Location plz. K thx

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote