Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-31-2021, 04:45 PM   #201
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm also guessing some of that is down to personnel and where you are from. When I would drive through Wisconsin, radio stations were hard to come by. So on a Friday night I would listen to whatever local high school game I was driving by. Would guess most of the schools just ran a power running system. But it's Wisconsin, and these schools were filled with big farm boys who could run block like no tomorrow.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:59 PM   #202
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Wonder how many schools went through that transformation of having some legendary coach who ran the wishbone or whatever for 40 years being pushed aside for some modern systems. Technically they may have been winning games, but were never going to be more than a pretty good team as long as they ran an outdated system.

A couple of our best in state are still run heavy but among the difficulties is getting kids to buy in.

I know of a situation where a new coach wanted to go run heavy because that's what the personnel was REALLY suited for ... he faced a mutiny. Most of the players made it clear that if he wasn't going to throw it around they'd be the ones taking a pass "no future for us if we can't show what we can do".

That plan got revised quickly ... and yes, several of those players did indeed end up playing on Saturdays.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:21 AM   #203
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Bishop Sycamore was supposed to play Johnson Central out of eastern KY on Friday but JC canceled. They played in 2019 (quick check shows JC won that game 34-8) and JC's coach said BS told them the same stuff about all of the D1 commits they had.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:57 PM   #204
molson
General Manager

Could we start a high school and get on ESPN?

I'll be the punter.

Also I'm glad to see there's already a hardy selection of Bishop Sycamore merchandise out there you can buy.

Last edited by molson : 09-01-2021 at 12:59 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:21 PM   #205
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

One of the more elaborate jabs at B.S. High I've seen

https://twitter.com/Hawk/status/1432831690938806272

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-01-2021 at 02:21 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:36 PM   #206
cuervo72
Head Coach

IHOF - Frederick Red Menace
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:51 PM   #207
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

1) Check the date on this story
2) See if the names sound familiar
3) See if the situation sounds familiar

Students became collateral damage in COF Academy-AME Church saga - News - ThisWeek Community News - Lewis Center, OH
Old 09-01-2021, 11:24 PM   #208
thesloppy
Pro Starter

These ghost schools are a trip!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 12:58 PM   #209
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I enjoyed this game more than most, as the son of a dear family friend was a freshman reserver OL for the winners.

Incredible winning streak snapped for Chad Morris' Texas high school program
Old 09-15-2021, 03:04 AM   #210
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Remember how I was talking about mismatches being pretty common, at least in Georgia? And how I mentioned somewhere in that discussion about teams playing non-region schedules -- making them ineligible for the post-season -- usually done as a program tries to rebuild from rock bottom?

A score caught my eye in the daily HSFB newsletter so I had to look a little closer at it.

Chamblee (Class 4A) beat Druid Hills (also 4A) 84-7 last Friday night. QB threw for 7 TDs in the first half.

Chamblee is in the second year of a 2 yr cycle playing a non-region schedule (5-1 last year). Druid Hills cancelled their season after just three games last year and is in the very unusual position of being allowed to play non-region for just this single year (so far anyway).

The 84 points they scored last week is more than their total season scoring in any of the five seasons from 2015 through 2019, a stretch that saw them go 6-43

They were a class 3A state semifinalist in 2007, but haven't made the post-season since 2009. And since 1990 they've had 13 head coaches, only 3 graduating classes in the past 31 years have played for the same HC through their high school career. ANd in their entire existence dating back to 1951 they have a winning record against only 3 opponents -- 1 of those is Druid Hills, 1 that routinely plays a non region schedule (Cross Keys) and the 3rd was merged out of existence in the mid 80s (Briarcliff).

Meanwhile Druid Hills is now 6-31 since 2017, hasn't had a winning season since 1993, nor a playoff berth since 1985, and only two playoff berths since 1950.

And that is how easily absurd scores can happen.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:27 AM   #211
miami_fan
Grizzled Veteran

Isn't Chamblee supposed to be running the 18th string RB into the middle of the line filled with 8th stringers or punting on first down in order to keep the score?
There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, “When will you be satisfied?” We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality.- Martin Luther King, August 28, 1963
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:16 PM   #212
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Isn't Chamblee supposed to be running the 18th string RB into the middle of the line filled with 8th stringers or punting on first down in order to keep the score?

Against Druid Hills I'm not sure anything other than taking a knee would work. They'd probably fumble a punt through their own end zone.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:18 AM   #213
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

There's various video clips on Twitter, not sure you'll see too many wilder finishes than Hamilton (AZ) stunning #7 in the nation Bishop Gorman (NV) tonight.

Down 24-7 with 1:10 left, Hamilton kicks a 44 yd FG to make it 24-10
They recover the onside kick, get a TD, make it 24-17
They recover ANOTHER onside kick, get a TD with 0:08 to cut it to 24-23
They go for two, QB lunges for the pylon and scores.

25-24 Hamilton wins
Old 09-18-2021, 09:13 AM   #214
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
There's various video clips on Twitter, not sure you'll see too many wilder finishes than Hamilton (AZ) stunning #7 in the nation Bishop Gorman (NV) tonight.

25-24 Hamilton wins
Yeah, I just watched that. Pretty crazy.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:48 AM   #215
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

25-24 Hamilton wins

Hamilton has really rebounded the last two years and gotten back into the top 3 teams in the state conversation along with Chandler and Sag U after a hazing scandal almost gutted them a few years back. They are legit and well coached.

On a side note we (Carl Hayden) went to 2-1 with a 53-6 win over Tempe last night and have a legit shot to bring home only the 5th winning season in the 60+ year history of this school. It has been a joy to be part of this rebuild and we have had packed stands our first 2 home games, when just 2 years ago it was sometimes less than 100.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:38 AM   #216
Atocep
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

25-24 Hamilton wins

Nicco Marchiol can't get to WVU soon enough.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:27 PM   #217
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Slowest week of the HS football season in Georgia ("only" 181 games between Thurs & Sat) as most regions wrap up non-region play.

Vaguely interesting sidenote from Athens Academy tonight. QB that won the job in the spring but suffered a broken collarbone and missed a month made his debut in the 2nd quarter tonight. First drive results in a double pass ... in the flat to the previous starting QB, who fires a 67 yard TD for an early 21-7 lead.

That debuting QB? Whit Muschamp ... son of Will Muschamp.