Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #701
Izulde
Head Coach

Looks like it's Arroyo:

Report: Oregon OC Marcus Arroyo to be new UNLV head coach

I'm fine with it and am willing to see how he pans out.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #702
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
When the Clemson / A&M series was scheduled back in 2014, Oregon was ranked #2 while Clemson was still a mid-teens program.

The move was initiated by A&M because "the home-and-home sequence was no longer compatible for the Aggies". Some fans at the time were a bit miffed that a contender was being replaced by an middling also-ran like Clemson

In 2018 the Ducks filled out their non-conference games with powerhouses Bowling Green, Portland State, and San Jose State ... only to lose four times afterwards.

Oregon replacement for their 2019 schedule? Auburn
#Oops

That's the thing about playing 8 and scheduling light: you still have to win the games you do play.
True, but if Oregon wasn't playing 9 conference games (and a road game against other division Arizona State), that Auburn loss doesn't really matter and they are the 4-seed now. The difficulty comes in playing that 9th conference game (on the road 50% of the time) while also trying to schedule a tough non-conference game. If you just have the 8 conference games - you can play a neutral nonconf game early on and not have that 9th conf opponent to worry about later. Basically in the weeks that Alabama or Auburn are at home against Western Carolina or Samford, Oregon is playing their 9th conference game (@Arizona State this year). Switch that game to home against Portlant State and their playoff odds go way up.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #703
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I believe every conference should play 8 games and should have a conference championship game, Personally.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #704
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
True, but if Oregon wasn't playing 9 conference games (and a road game against other division Arizona State), that Auburn loss doesn't really matter and they are the 4-seed now. The difficulty comes in playing that 9th conference game (on the road 50% of the time) while also trying to schedule a tough non-conference game. If you just have the 8 conference games - you can play a neutral nonconf game early on and not have that 9th conf opponent to worry about later. Basically in the weeks that Alabama or Auburn are at home against Western Carolina or Samford, Oregon is playing their 9th conference game (@Arizona State this year). Switch that game to home against Portlant State and their playoff odds go way up.

But the only reason they played Auburn this year is because A&M wasn't available to them. Which goes back to the kinda circular issue of schedules in real time vs when they were contracted.

Obviously Auburn was the better of the two teams in 2019, but coming off 2014, each just went 8-5 and it might have been a coin toss to guess which would be better 5 years later. (indeed, A&M had just beaten Auburn and won their bowl game, while Auburn lost their's)

Whether there's 8 conference games or 9 conference games, teams could still easily enough get bitten. Oregon scheduled hard'ish originally, lost that contract, replaced it with what looked to be equivalent. Instead they ended up with a considerably tougher game, while Clemson got lighter duty along the way ... but at the time the game was made, it didn't look like it'd be a relatively weak opponent for the not-yet-as-mighty Tigers either.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #705
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post

I think there is no way the committee would choose 1-loss Oregon (with subbing out the Auburn game foe a patsy) over 1-loss Oklahoma (with 9 conference wins + win @ UCLA).

Oregon was the only team over .500 in conference in the PAC 12 North and the only teams that were bowl eligible on that side had three cupcake OOC wins (best opponents were BYU, Ole Miss, Houston).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:40 PM   #706
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I misread this post at first, and thought about Matt Luke heading to Boca Raton

They go with Taggert. I actually think Rich would have been a better hire.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #707
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I think there is no way the committee would choose 1-loss Oregon (with subbing out the Auburn game foe a patsy) over 1-loss Oklahoma (with 9 conference wins + win @ UCLA).

Oregon was the only team over .500 in conference in the PAC 12 North and the only teams that were bowl eligible on that side had three cupcake OOC wins (best opponents were BYU, Ole Miss, Houston).
If Oregon hadn’t played ASU and beat Utah the way they did, with OK going into OT against Baylor’s 3rd string QB - I think there’s a chance Oregon edges out OK in the committee. Still, the point remains that playing a 9th conf game (esp on the road) does nothing to help a Pac-12 team from a playoff perspective, but it does give a higher risk of a loss. Therefore, there is little reason to play that 9th game. It also hurts the Pac-12's chances at more bowl teams. Colorado finished 5-7 with their 9th conference game being a road loss at Washington St. If you replace that game with a home patsy, they go 6-6 and are playing a bowl game.

The more I think about it, this 9-conference game strategy in the Pac-12 is a bad idea. The goal of a conference should be to try and get a team into the playoff and as many bowl teams as possible. Giving yourself a ninth chance for teams to beat each other seems counter productive to both goals. So, the SEC has swayed me and this should be the norm.

Last edited by Arles : 12-12-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #708
Atocep
Coordinator

ESPN trying to sell Burrow as some underrecruited kid that came out of nowhere is really disingenuous. He was offered by multiple Big 10, Big 12, SEC, and ACC schools. He was a national recruit whose recruitment blew up late in the process before committing to Ohio State.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #709
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just file this away: I'm not sure that UNC-commit Elijah Green (Blessed Trinity HS, GA) isn't the best RB of the state finals weekend so far.

I like the way he runs, Mack Brown may have snagged himself a solid contributor (despite not being the highest profile back in the state this year, a 3* down the list a ways)

edit: 11 carries, 171 yards and 2 TDs in the first half. Was already 10 for 105 and 1 before he broke a 66 yd score in the final minute.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-14-2019 at 05:07 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #710
bronconick
College Starter

304 yards rushing for Navy's QB Perry- Most for anyone in the history of Army-Navy
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:01 PM   #711
PilotMan
Head Coach

NDSU got some national exposure today and fought a tough Illinois St team, but they did not bring their "A" game. In fact, they failed to score a TD for the first time in nearly forever, but still managed a 9-3 win to move onto the Semifinals against #5 Montana State. The Cardinals were running a Freshman QB out there who had started 3 games, and they passed the ball only 9 times all game. It really shouldn't have been this close, but credit the Cards defense. They completely mauled the Rams today. In the other game it'll be #2 James Madison taking on #3 Weber State. Looks like the rankings were pretty dialed in. Next round should be good games all around.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #712
PilotMan
Head Coach

Dola

For a team with 7 national championships and a 34 game division one win streak, this has been the major discussion all season.

McFeely: Thousands of tickets remain for Bison playoff game, and that's too bad | INFORUM

"It's the epitome of entitlement. The fans who gobbled up tickets when this run started have become spoiled by success. And, judging by ticket sales the last two weeks, are willing to take it for granted."

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 12-15-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #713
JPhillips
General Manager

I have no problem with Burrow winning the Heisman, but Chase Young finishing fourth is nuts.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:41 AM   #714
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I have no problem with Burrow winning the Heisman, but Chase Young finishing fourth is nuts.

The suspension killed him plus he likely split votes with Fields.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:48 PM   #715
Atocep
Coordinator

Baylor wins for weirdest recruiting videos on signing day.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:17 AM   #716
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa got a really good group of kids this year. Class ranked in the 20s which rarely happens. Only two times before in Ferentzs tenure has he had classes ranked in the 20s or better.

Recruiting is trending in the right direction.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:24 PM   #717
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well guys, an NDSU team that graduated 24 starters off of last year's undefeated, championship team, graduated 'only' 14 seniors yesterday, and still went undefeated this year. Today, they steam rolled Montana St. setting up their 8th FCS championship final in the last decade. Their Freshman QB, Trey Lance, added another 3 passing TD's and still hasn't thrown a pick this year.

On Jan 11, they will face, #2 James Madison, the only team that beat them and kept them from a title in the last 8 years. JM is looking for their 3rd National Championship. NDSU wasn't supposed to be this good. Lance is the best freshman QB we've had, and imo, he's head and shoulders better than Stick ever was.

It sets up one helluva game in January.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 12-22-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:37 PM   #718
cuervo72
Head Coach

I'm so happy for that plucky group of underdogs. I'd have never guessed they could do it!

Old 12-22-2019, 06:23 AM   #719
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Huskies rout Boise state in coach Pete’s last game. Lake takes over having retained 100% of recruits. An amazing testament to the university and the culture.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:35 AM   #720
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Well guys, an NDSU team that graduated 24 starters off of last year's undefeated, championship team, graduated 'only' 14 seniors yesterday, and still went undefeated this year. Today, they steam rolled Montana St. setting up their 8th FCS championship final in the last decade. Their Freshman QB, Trey Lance, added another 3 passing TD's and still hasn't thrown a pick this year.

On Jan 11, they will face, #2 James Madison, the only team that beat them and kept them from a title in the last 8 years. JM is looking for their 3rd National Championship. NDSU wasn't supposed to be this good. Lance is the best freshman QB we've had, and imo, he's head and shoulders better than Stick ever was.

It sets up one helluva game in January.

I think the rest of the FCS should petition the commissioner to move NDSU up to Div I immediately
Old 12-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #721
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I think the rest of the FCS should petition the commissioner to move NDSU up to Div I immediately

You have no idea how many people have floated that idea. Or how many within the fan community feel the same, or think they would just dominate if they did. I swear the delusion that some of these fans have, it's almost like they are in the cult of trump...oh..wait...

Like Steam?

Old 12-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #722
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Not entirely unprecedented. Remember this little story?

Division III football powerhouse 'involuntarily removed' from conference for simply being too good - CBSSports.com
Old 12-22-2019, 10:04 AM   #723
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Dominance on the D3 level and on the FCS level isn't really the same though, is it? I guess you're still hitting the seam of talent that want to win, but aren't quite drawing the attention of upper level programs. Once that pathway is sustained it's easier to keep going, as long as the school has stability and support. If it happens, it has to be, one of the biggest compliments you can have as a program.

Like Steam?

Old 12-22-2019, 10:08 AM   #724
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Don't show this to FCS schools
Old 12-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #725
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Also, they were only removed from their conference, not from D3. NDSU arguably plays in the toughest FCS conference in the nation already.

Like Steam?

Old 12-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #726
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
You have no idea how many people have floated that idea. Or how many within the fan community feel the same, or think they would just dominate if they did. I swear the delusion that some of these fans have, it's almost like they are in the cult of trump...oh..wait...

Curious how do you think NDSU would do if it moved up a level? Coastal Carolina has not made too much impact yet on the Sun Belt in football at least. I'm assuming they would have the same roster requirements Coastal did in their transition to Div I.
Old 12-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #727
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Curious how do you think NDSU would do if it moved up a level? Coastal Carolina has not made too much impact yet on the Sun Belt in football at least. I'm assuming they would have the same roster requirements Coastal did in their transition to Div I.

I think they could do as well as a mid tier school. The problem is that right now, they can beat a majority of mid tier schools on a one off game. However, the beating that they would take from week after week of tough D1 schools would wear them down. As in:

FCS:
- Guys get rested during big wins, depth is developed, injuries are minimized.

- Against big teams, they can be rested, and play heads up, one off and win.

- Recruiting is good, with success, can pull borderline guys, and a lot of them who want to play and win.

FBS:
- Tough, physical games each week.
- Starters play more often, get hurt more.
- A full season of big games shows by week 6.
- Recruiting is now same level with Power 5 schools. Can't compete with Iowa/K State/Nebraska/Minnesota/etc.

Then you run into support. The school is getting more support, more exposure and more money at the FCS level. There's no good reason to move up.

Like Steam?

Old 12-22-2019, 02:19 PM   #728
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Huskies rout Boise state in coach Pete’s last game. Lake takes over having retained 100% of recruits. An amazing testament to the university and the culture.
Really happy to see him go out with a win. I know he would have preferred not to have to face Boise State because of how much that would put the focus on him, but he was going to get attention regardless because of his pending retirement.

As much as things are going to stay similar under Lake (the "Built For Life" program philosophy, the defensive system) there's going to be some significant change coming to the coaching staff and probably some surprises in terms of early entries to the draft and some guys entering the transfer portal.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #729
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also, they were only removed from their conference, not from D3. NDSU arguably plays in the toughest FCS conference in the nation already.

The concept - "too good for everyone else" - is pretty much the same as the original joke though.

The Summit League is currently working with St. Thomas to help them plot the course (and win NCAA approval) for a jump from D3 straight to D1/FCS.

Their football landing spot isn't decided yet, but both the Pioneer League and the MVC are likely choices.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #730
JPhillips
General Manager

It is different at the D3 level, though. There are some highly competitive leagues, but a lot of D3 leagues are more like rec leagues. Students play for the enjoyment of the sport. The athletes aren't getting scholarships while also being the backbone of a lot of schools' recruiting. Having a team so good that it discourages other students from participating can be a real threat to colleges.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:25 PM   #731
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
There are some highly competitive leagues, but a lot of D3 leagues are more like rec leagues.

I wouldn't disagree
Old 12-27-2019, 11:15 PM   #732
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa just went out and kicked USCs ass. Not even close. WOW. As much as I bitch about Iowa and their offense, they brought it tonight.

What a great win. 10 wins is fantastic.

Old 12-27-2019, 11:33 PM   #733
RendeR
Coordinator

Big 10 2-0 so far, looking to make it 4-0 tomorrow night

Last edited by RendeR : 12-27-2019 at 11:33 PM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 11:44 PM   #734
tarcone
Coordinator

FS1 had Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart as studio guys for the game. They were so biased it was sickening. In the post game, Bush kept saying we and us. Are the talking heads not supposed to be unbiased? Bush was almost in tears.

Hire some new guys Fox.

Old 12-28-2019, 12:09 AM   #735
RendeR
Coordinator

See now I'd have enjoyed watching Reggie Bush cry....

He was a seriously overated RB, almost as bad as Laugh-ert

Last edited by RendeR : 12-28-2019 at 12:09 AM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:40 AM   #736
tarcone
Coordinator

Dont get me wrong, I really enjoyed it. Esp. after they picked USC to win by a couple scores.

Old 12-28-2019, 01:47 PM   #737
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
WOW. As much as I bitch about Iowa and their offense, they brought it tonight.
You'll be amused by this. On the Washington 247 boards there are several contentious threads going discussing what direction the Huskies should go with their new offensive coordinator and what kind of system to run. One person piped up how they want something like what Iowa uses after seeing them pummel USC last night.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:35 PM   #738
bob
College Starter

ND plays fairly mediocre (at least on offense) and still crushes Iowa St.

At this point, I want Oklahoma to beat LSU just to shut up this Joe Burrow talk. This isn't a walk-on that became a starter and then won the Heisman. He had a scholarship to Ohio St. and then transferred to LSU because he was (rightfully at the time) buried on the depth chart. This isn't the LSU Rudy story.

Last edited by bob : 12-28-2019 at 02:36 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:38 PM   #739
bob
College Starter

Also, I won't be surprised if Clemson is great, but I honestly don't know what to expect from them tonight. They have played no one all year, and it is tough to turn it on.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #740
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
You'll be amused by this. On the Washington 247 boards there are several contentious threads going discussing what direction the Huskies should go with their new offensive coordinator and what kind of system to run. One person piped up how they want something like what Iowa uses after seeing them pummel USC last night.

That is funny. I will say this, Iowa did open it up. Brian Ferentz looked like he was given a little more freedom by Dad.

Old 12-28-2019, 03:25 PM   #741
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Also, I won't be surprised if Clemson is great, but I honestly don't know what to expect from them tonight. They have played no one all year, and it is tough to turn it on.

Ohio St. is really good. Im curious to see if Clemson is a championship tonight or if Ohio St. does to them what they have been doing to everyone this season.

Old 12-28-2019, 03:26 PM   #742
Edward64
Head Coach

Pretty damn impressive first series for the Tigers.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:29 PM   #743
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Pretty damn impressive first series for the Tigers.

3 minutes that pretty much summed up my overall expectation.
Could change over the next 57 minutes but that was about like I thought it would be.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:31 PM   #744
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
ND plays fairly mediocre (at least on offense) and still crushes Iowa St.

At this point, I want Oklahoma to beat LSU just to shut up this Joe Burrow talk. This isn't a walk-on that became a starter and then won the Heisman. He had a scholarship to Ohio St. and then transferred to LSU because he was (rightfully at the time) buried on the depth chart. This isn't the LSU Rudy story.

I mentioned earlier in this thread he was a national recruit that had been underrecruited and blew up kind of late in the process. He ended up with multiple offers from every P5 conference except the Pac 12.

Herbstreit has tried to claim OSU was his only offer which is ridiculous.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:59 PM   #745
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm not sure how you blow a pass interference call that badly.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:08 PM   #746
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I'm not sure how you blow a pass interference call that badly.

SEC bias?

Old 12-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #747
bob
College Starter

Think they'll start calling it evenly once LSU goes up by three or four TDs?
Old 12-28-2019, 04:19 PM   #748
Edward64
Head Coach

Haters are going to hate
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:20 PM   #749
bob
College Starter

So that was a correct no call?
Old 12-28-2019, 04:22 PM   #750