Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #351
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Is it just me? Just judging by the title, "The Constant Gardener" sounds like the most boring movie of all time.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:03 PM   #352
Easy Mac

The Family Ston - Crappy ass movie. Why should I care about these loathsome people. Dermot Mulrooney can't act and Sarah Jessica Parker is just scary to look at.

1.3/10
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:03 PM   #353
The Destroyer
n00b

I saw M:I:3 last night...usually go see a movie about once a week. It was pretty awesome. I liked it A LOT more than the 2nd one, and more than the 1st, too. Don't really like to give ratings, but this would prolly be like 8.5/10.
The Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:17 PM   #354
sabotai
General Manager

Memoirs of a Geisha - I liked it. Not as much as I thought I would, but it wasn't bad. Plus, Ziyi Zhang is just so damn adorable! 7/10
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:12 AM   #355
korme
Go Reds

In the past 3 days:

*The Constant Gardener - 7/10 (Starts slow but really picks up, 5/10 for the first half and 9/10 for the last half)
*Munich - 6.5/10 (Wasn't as good as I expected, but still worth the watch)
*X-Men: The Last Stand - 7/10 (Better than 1 & 2)
*M:I:III - 8/10 (Really liked it)
*In Good Company - 5.5/10 (Caught it on HBO, nothing to ever see again but kept me interested)
*40 Yr Old Virgin - 8/10 (Hard to rate comedies but this was up there for this genre, but not quite Anchorman or Wedding Crashers level)
*Match Point - 5/10 (What a waste of time)
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:15 AM   #356
korme
Go Reds

Anyone seen Good Night, and Good Luck? I want to see it because it's a Clooney film but ... it's black and white.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:21 AM   #357
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
*Match Point - 5/10 (What a waste of time)

I think your scoring criteria needs to be reworked.

From what you just said, the movie should be in the 1-3 range. A 5 would indicate an average movie, that was mildly worth watching, but certainly not a total waste of time.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:41 AM   #358
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
I think your scoring criteria needs to be reworked.

From what you just said, the movie should be in the 1-3 range. A 5 would indicate an average movie, that was mildly worth watching, but certainly not a total waste of time.

It wasn't terrible. It just wasn't interesting enough for me. Woody made the movie too long and had the same theme from scene to scene dragging it out. It wasn't quite Manos Hands of Fate, but at a 5 of 10 I'd have rather been doing something else, hence the term "what a waste of time".
Old 05-30-2006, 12:44 AM   #359
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
It wasn't terrible. It just wasn't interesting enough for me. Woody made the movie too long and had the same theme from scene to scene dragging it out. It wasn't quite Manos Hands of Fate, but at a 5 of 10 I'd have rather been doing something else, hence the term "what a waste of time".

That makes sense.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:27 PM   #360
korme
Go Reds

Rushmore - 8/10. I'm a big Wes Anderson fan and just hadn't gotten around to seeing this. Very funny satirical comedy.

Last edited by korme : 05-30-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:59 AM   #361
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wolf Creek - I loved it

Hostel - hey boobies at the beginning and blood at the end, a little slow, but decent
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:12 AM   #362
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

da vinci code and the new pride and prejudice
Old 05-31-2006, 09:16 AM   #363
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Fun With Dick and Jane

dreadful. 0 out of 10.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:55 AM   #364
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Saw Over the Hedge this weekend, it was pretty good...some ridiculous moments, but better than some of the animated stuff that's been coming out lately. 7 out of 10
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #365
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Anyone seen Good Night, and Good Luck? I want to see it because it's a Clooney film but ... it's black and white.

You know, I thought the acting was very, very solid, but I thought it kind of lacked something overall. I realize it's tough to make biopic/docudramas more exciting than they are, but I really felt like they could have done more building tension in this one. I also thought there were some peculiar casting decisions. Overall, though a solid 5 out of 10.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:20 PM   #366
Groundhog
Coordinator

Princess Mononoke - 10/10
Cold Mountain - 7.5/10

Wow, I don't know why it took me so long to get around to watching Princess Mononoke, but it was amazing. I watched it with Japanese audio and subtitles, but started watching it again with the english dub straight after. I made it about 15 mins in when it just annoyed me at how much worse the English-speaking voice actors were compared to the Japanese ones - especially at expressing different emotions. The Japanese voices were so lively while the English voices made it sound like all the characters were in a coma.

Cold Mountain was also quite good. I missed the first 20 minutes or so though, and will likely hire it out sometime to catch-up.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:05 PM   #367
Desmond
Banned

When A Stranger Calls: 4.0

Not horrible, but nothing special either. Alot of false suspense. Kind of drags. Just not anything special but not horrid enough to be amusingly bad.

An Unfinished Life: 7.0
This movie was shelved for a long time and i'm not sure why. It's not spectacular but it's got a solidly emotional story. Redford and Freeman do what they do and do it well. J-Lo is also good and the little girl plays off of Redford and Freeman amazingly well. This movie deserved much better than it got.

Last edited by Desmond : 06-14-2006 at 08:10 PM.
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:13 PM   #368
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog
Wow, I don't know why it took me so long to get around to watching Princess Mononoke, but it was amazing.

Agreed with that. I really liked that movie too. One of the best anime movies out there.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:15 PM   #369
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond
When A Stranger Calls: 4.0

Not horrible, but nothing special either. Alot of false suspense. Kind of drags. Just not anything special but not horrid enough to be amusingly bad.

Wait for When A Stranger Calls Back
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:19 PM   #370
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Wait for When A Stranger Calls Back

Or the prequel, When A Stranger Calls the Wrong Number.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:23 PM   #371
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog
Or the prequel, When A Stranger Calls the Wrong Number.

Or what about When A Stranger Uses The White Pages
Old 06-14-2006, 08:24 PM   #372
Desmond
Banned

From RottenTomatos,

"This thing is a movie like static is a song."

"Dial M for mediocre."

"If you answer, you may be bored to death."

I didn't think it was near this bad. I also didn't think it was good.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:34 PM   #373
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
You know, I thought the acting was very, very solid, but I thought it kind of lacked something overall. I realize it's tough to make biopic/docudramas more exciting than they are, but I really felt like they could have done more building tension in this one. I also thought there were some peculiar casting decisions. Overall, though a solid 5 out of 10.

I actually liked Good Night Good Luck a bit more. A 7/10 in my book. Some interesting parralels with reporting (or lack thereof) today, especially as the McCarthyism relates to the early part of the Iraqi war, when anyone who disagreed with the policy was lableled an anti-American by the government/press.

At the end though, it was a bit disjointed. The Robert Downey Jr character was well played, but really what was the point of adding the character at all? It was sort of like filler that didn't really enhance the plot.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:20 PM   #374
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Skeleton key: 4.0 Good movie!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:26 PM   #375
JS19
College Prospect

Watched Batman Begins for the first time on HBO today. Very surprised on how well it was done.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:54 AM   #376
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Derailed: I'd say about a 6.5/10, me and my sometimes "oblivious" lady-friend decided on the ending probably 30-40 minutes from the end. Despite that, they did well w/ some of the twists and turns. Me and my woman (for 7 years) were on a "break" during this, but for some reason it ignited a lot of conversation and sexxy fun, between us!
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:01 AM   #377
Lorena
Unregistered

9 to 5

Bravo's 100 Funniest Movies had this ranking at #47 so out of curiousity, I recorded it.

I would rate it a 6/10, but I'm sure the rating (in comparison to the other movies on the list) didn't deserve to be that high. It had it's moments, but this movie shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Three Amigos, Meet the Parents, or others that ranked lower.

It's about 3 secretaries that get fed up with their biggoted boss and end up kidnapping him in his own home.

Dolly Parton, Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin are the secretaries. If I hadn't seen this on the list, I would probably give it a 7ish.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:56 PM   #378
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick
9 to 5

Bravo's 100 Funniest Movies had this ranking at #47 so out of curiousity, I recorded it.

I would rate it a 6/10, but I'm sure the rating (in comparison to the other movies on the list) didn't deserve to be that high. It had it's moments, but this movie shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Three Amigos, Meet the Parents, or others that ranked lower.

It's about 3 secretaries that get fed up with their biggoted boss and end up kidnapping him in his own home.

Dolly Parton, Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin are the secretaries. If I hadn't seen this on the list, I would probably give it a 7ish.

Wow that's an oldie! Now I have that song in my head...
Old 06-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #379
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Fritz.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:02 PM   #380
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick
9 to 5

At the time it was every much as big/good as some of the more modern choices.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #381
Ironhead
College Prospect

In the past two weeks:

Casablanca (8.5/10) - Definitely a classic. The storyline was a little predictable, probably because many movies since has tried to use the same formula, but the movie had so many great lines and scenes. The actor that played Captain Renault stole just about every scene he was in.
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest (9.8/10) - Just a great piece of cinema. There is not a single person in the movie that I could single out for having a poor performance, while I could single out several for having oustanding performances. This movie immediately jumped into my Top 5 movies.
Rear Window (8.0/10) - This might actually be the first Hitchcock movie I have seen but I liked it a lot. Very well acted and played out.
Sin City (7.0/10) - The segment with Mickey Rourke was pretty enjoyable and the way the movie was put together was impressive. However, the movie was a little too violent for my tastes. That being said I think that was probably an accurate depiction of the books.
Underworld (5.0/10) - I really wasn't very impressed. I would not recommend it for a rental, but if it is on TV and you are bored it might be alright. Just too many "blah" characters and a pretty "blah" story as well.
Sideways (8.0/10) - Enjoyable if not slightly depressing characters and a very good performance by Paul Giamatti kept me very interested. You are never really sure where the story is going to go in this one and it is fun to just enjoy the trip.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:43 PM   #382
WVUFAN
College Starter

I thought Sideways was one of the most overrated films I've seen in a good long while, but I'm a popcorn movie fan (mindless entertainment is what I crave), so those kind of films never appealed to me.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:24 PM   #383
Groundhog
Coordinator

Sideways was the most pleasant surprise I've ever had at the cinema. We went to watch another movie, can't recall which, and it was sold out so we saw Sideways instead because it was the only film that started at the same time. I'd seen a single TV commercial for it but had heard nothing else about it, and walked away think it was outstanding. Probably a 9/10 for me.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:36 PM   #384
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Last night, I saw a movie that probably lived up (or down) to it's reputation. It was "I Spit on your Grave". It was shot back in the late 70's, and gained renown for the absolutely horrid reviews it got from Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert. They got the movie pulled from the Chicago market. Which then only added to it's aura.

Maybe the shock value it held back in the late 70's has faded to today's world. I just didn't see what the big deal was. It was a very formulatic movie, nothing really too shocking or surprising. A movie I've heard this compared to is the original Tobe Hooper version of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". That movie was light years better than this movie. I think it is still trying to live off of 30 year old notoriety.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 06-15-2006 at 09:36 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:38 PM   #385
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Movies I saw on the plane.

The Producers (remake) - 6/10 Wilder > Broderick

Real, The Movie - 5/10 I guess this was a documentary about Real Madrid and their effect on their fans. It was multilingual (French, Spanish, English, and Japanese) and without subtitles. It was told in 5 stories like the Japanese part was guy likes girl, girl is a fan of Beckham, guy gets Beckham's 'mohawk' haircut, guy shows girl his new do and notices that Beckham has just shaved his head, guy is embarrased but the girl likes the effort. The story parts were meh but I liked the soccer highlights.

Firewall - 6/10 I like Ford and Bethany but this was a pretty average suspense flick.

Eight Below - 6/10 What do you do when Paul Walker is your lead? Focus on the dogs.

Pink Panther (remake) - 4/10 Why Jean Reno? Why?

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:48 PM   #386
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Last night, I saw a movie that probably lived up (or down) to it's reputation. It was "I Spit on your Grave". It was shot back in the late 70's, and gained renown for the absolutely horrid reviews it got from Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert. They got the movie pulled from the Chicago market. Which then only added to it's aura.

Maybe the shock value it held back in the late 70's has faded to today's world. I just didn't see what the big deal was. It was a very formulatic movie, nothing really too shocking or surprising. A movie I've heard this compared to is the original Tobe Hooper version of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". That movie was light years better than this movie. I think it is still trying to live off of 30 year old notoriety.

I agree. I'd heard about this movie for years and finally borrowed it off my brother a few years back on DVD. Terrible movie. I think it was pretty shocking though, as the rape scene/s are so long, graphic and violent, but it's just a horrile movie in every way.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:04 PM   #387
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman

I posted about this last year. I know Raiders was one who had seen it. Its like a bad bad ploy at an artsy movie. It was basically a bad snuff film with aspirations of something more.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:05 AM   #388
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Heat (1995) 4 stars of 5 - This movie holds up extremely well, and is definitely up there among Pacino and Deniro's absolute best performances. Outstanding acting, directing, everything all-around.

Hustle & Flow (2005) 3 stars out of 5 - Much more of a "music" movie than all advertising had lead me to believe. I liked it much more than I expected.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:16 AM   #389
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Garfield: Tale of Two Kitties.

Figured we'd do this tonight & save Cars until next weekend (since it'll still be around but this one seemed iffy to survive another week in the theatres).

If I'm generous, I'll go maybe 2 stars out of 5 -- it was probably the weakest kid flick I've sat through since Country Bears, but at least it wasn't as bad as that. There just wasn't a lot of movie there, mildly amusing at the high points at best. But better than, say, dental work without novacaine.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:18 AM   #390
Desmond
Banned

I watched UltraViolet earlier. I wish I had shoved pine cones in my ass earlier.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:25 AM   #391
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Mrs. Eaglesfan wanted to watch House of Wax tonight. I knew it was probably going to be bad from previews and the fact that it had Paris Hilton in it. It was dreadful. It does get 2 points for Elisha Cuthbert though. Therefore, 3 out of 10.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:43 AM   #392
Easy Mac

The Producers - Literally cut it off after about 8 minutes. Sent it back to Netflix on the way back to my apartment. Horrible. .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001/10

Syriana - Dense. Not to sure why Clooney won an Oscar. 7.1/10
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:32 AM   #393
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Syriana - Dense. Not to sure why Clooney won an Oscar. 7.1/10

Yeah, this one surprised me also. I have a man-crush on Clooney and have loved everything he is in (inlcuding the Ocean's series). I enjoy political intrique type movies. People had warned me it is very complex, which is right up my alley also. That said, I didn't find the complexity to mean good. Memento and Primer were movies that made me really concentrate and think that were outstanding. This one made me keep trying to figure out who people were with no real payoff. I won't spoil it here in this thread anymore than I already did, but I will give it 5/10. Would love to hear why this is so praised except maybe for political reasons but sadly I didn't think those were all that damning (or shocking) either. Bill Mahar gives me more than be upset about every week on his show than Syriana.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:05 PM   #394
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

...just watched Rushmore for probably the 10th time in my life. It's really a near-perfect film and I'm more impressed every time I see it. It's funny and sad and has a lot of genuine heart to it all in one. 5 stars out of 5.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:10 PM   #395
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Cold Creek Manor

sucked ass : 1/10

Predictable x 10 to the 10th.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:52 PM   #396
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Good Night, and Good Luck

Just saw this. I really enjoyed it, despite its black and whiteness. Lots of familiar faces in it, which is always a plus for me.

8.5/10
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:30 AM   #397
AgustusM
College Prospect

In Theatre - Cars - good as far as take the kids movies goes 8/10

At home - Crash - heard it won the oscar, but we don't watch any "entertainment" type TV or pay attention to what is big or any of that so we actually knew very little about it - and then we watched it and were blown away - a movie we were still talking about 3 days later 10/10
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:42 AM   #398
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Spanglish - Wasn't funny, which isn't totally surprising since I haven't found Sandler's last few movies funny. However, I was still moderately entertained. That may have been due in part to the stunning Paz Vega. I'll give it a 4/10.

Envy - I heard from a friend this was "hilarious." I usually like Jack Black. It wasn't funny nor was it entertaining. 2/10.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:05 AM   #399
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Oliver Twist. Not entertained. Maybe they needed a few song and dnace numbers to liven it up...or maybe I just really like the musical version, Oliver.

3.5/10
Old 07-06-2006, 04:10 AM   #400
Desmond
Banned

I watched Date Movie tonight. Why do I do this shit to myself?