Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #451
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Just finished it a few hours ago. I found the whole show very entertaining. I loved Sherk/Griffin, dos Santos provided a brutal knockout, Alves/Koscheck was good, and Silva is always entertaining. Wish I could have seen a finish to the main event, but hopefully Cote will have a speedy recovery.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #452
saldana
Pro Starter

i thought it was a decent card, i disagreed with the decision in the sherk/griffin match...even more that it was unanimous.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #453
AlexB
Pro Starter

I had Sherk winning the 1st round easily, Griffin probably sneaking the last, and the second too tight to call for me. 30-27 surprised me a bit on one of the cards, but I wouldn't have argued with any overall decision in that fight.

The ref with the glasses for the Maynard/Clementi fight was awful - it took two seconds of trying for position before he was 'come on guys, let's move it guys'... I hope he doesn't feature too strongly in the future.

Silva/Cote was bizarre - almost an exhibition match at times. I don't think the end result would have been anything but a Spider win, but Cote has a rock solid chin: a couple of the knees he took were brutal.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #454
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
I had Sherk winning the 1st round easily, Griffin probably sneaking the last, and the second too tight to call for me. 30-27 surprised me a bit on one of the cards, but I wouldn't have argued with any overall decision in that fight.

The ref with the glasses for the Maynard/Clementi fight was awful - it took two seconds of trying for position before he was 'come on guys, let's move it guys'... I hope he doesn't feature too strongly in the future.

Silva/Cote was bizarre - almost an exhibition match at times. I don't think the end result would have been anything but a Spider win, but Cote has a rock solid chin: a couple of the knees he took were brutal.
I don't think you'll be seeing most of the refs again from Saturday night until the next time the UFC comes to Illinois.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:36 PM   #455
PilotMan
Head Coach

I gotta agree with you on the refs. Especially that one. FWIW, the crowd sucked too.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #456
PilotMan
Head Coach

Spoilers will follow............................Paulo Filho is a chump. I can't believe how some of the other fights went down.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #457
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Yeah that Faber fight was something else.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #458
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Spoilers, but I assume if you are in here you already know the results.

Well Filho apparently has depression and substance problems, hopefully he can get his life worked out. But yea, that was an odd and disappointing fight.

However, the rest of the card was really entertaining and topped off with a huge upset.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:24 PM   #459
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

And Brock KOs Couture...
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:26 PM   #460
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
And Brock KOs Couture...

That sucked. If Couture doesn't get caught with that shot he wins the fight as Lesner's tank was almost empty.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:31 PM   #461
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

From all report, EagleFan, Lesnar was fresh as a daisy, he had spent most of round one leaning against Couture.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #462
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
From all report, EagleFan, Lesnar was fresh as a daisy, he had spent most of round one leaning against Couture.

He was completely winded after round one. He spent most of round one against the cage with Couture pressing against him.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:43 PM   #463
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't see it live, but I was reading on the Sherdog forums and it was universal in the reporting that while Brock won round 1, he was gased and if Randy could hang around the fight was his. I know at least one person made the comment that Brock looked decent to start round 2. Regardless, Brock still hasn't had a fight go long and stamina does seem to be an issue for him. It will be interesting to see somebody stick around with him and make the fight go long. Of course, they have to deal with a 260+ lb. mass that will drain them as well.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:49 PM   #464
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I didn't see it live, but I was reading on the Sherdog forums and it was universal in the reporting that while Brock won round 1, he was gased and if Randy could hang around the fight was his. I know at least one person made the comment that Brock looked decent to start round 2. Regardless, Brock still hasn't had a fight go long and stamina does seem to be an issue for him. It will be interesting to see somebody stick around with him and make the fight go long. Of course, they have to deal with a 260+ lb. mass that will drain them as well.

He went 3 rounds with Herring with ease.

I don't think he was gassed tonight at all, and to say that he was going to lose if he hadn't got the KO because of his tank is ridiculous IMO. Randy showed nothing that gave the impression he could beat Brock, in fact he was rocked about 3 times before getting knocked out.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:50 PM   #465
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Lesnar FTW!
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:51 PM   #466
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The last minute of round one Randy had Lesner up against the cage and was keepin the pressure on him. You cuold see Lesner breathing very heavy and kept checking the clock to see how much longer he needed to hang on. You could see that was Couture's gameplan, to keep him pinned down and wear him out.

On a different note, these couple of undercard matches they have shown after the main event have actually been the best two fights that I have seen tonight.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:55 PM   #467
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
I agree with Eaglefan.

THought Randy won a close round 1 and Lesner was so gassed that without catching a lucky shot would have no chance to hang in a full 5 round fight.

The Herring fight was dominated from the start and was so one-sided it could have been sparring.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:13 AM   #468
Calis
College Starter

I don't think Lesnar was THAT gassed, but I do think towards the end of round 1 he did look a little winded, or maybe just frustrated.

I didn't think Randy could pull this one off, but was really rooting for him. I think he had a good game plan but got caught which was the obvious danger.

I'm a little more leery of a Lesnar/Nog match-up now because we know how Nog likes to get knocked around before pulling something off, and he's not as young as he used to be so I think we could see him overwhelmed before he can do something. I'll definitely be rooting for him against Mir and then against Lesnar though.

Florian looked very good tonight, I was impressed. I expected him to win but the fashion he did it in was surprising. I don't think he'll give Penn much of a fight, but I still want to see it.

That December card is looking very nice.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:24 AM   #469
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

They just had Lesnar on MMA live on Espn.com. He was pretty classy and humble. He mentioned looking up at the clock, he said he was just looking to his corner and checking the time. (I know he's not going to say yeah I was gassed but still, I don't think that was the case anyway)
Old 11-16-2008, 12:56 AM   #470
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:

Honestly, you are looking at Sherdog and expecting unbiased opinions of a fight? Never going to happen IMO. Lesnar looked good and wasnt gased. He actually paced himself well and was fighting a good fight up to the TKO. I was rooting for Randy, but he took a decent punch and there wasnt much he could do to defend himself when Brock pounced and rained down hammerfists. Thats just one of the problems when you are fighting someone that much bigger than yourself.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #471
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I find it laughable that people are actually questioning the gas tank of a main-event professional wrestler. You have any idea how ridiculous their conditioning is?
Old 11-16-2008, 10:00 AM   #472
Calis
College Starter

People in phenomenal shape can be gassed very quickly.
It's not a simple matter of conditioning.

That said, the Sherdog crowd really want to discount him however possible so I'd take anything said with a giant salt mine.

Last edited by Calis : 11-16-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #473
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Oh, I picked up on the fact the Sherdog forums were near universal in their praise for Randy. It's like people pick out the fact that he was in the WWE, but ignore the fact that he was like 2nd in the nation as a college wrestler for his weight class.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #474
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I find it laughable that people are actually questioning the gas tank of a main-event professional wrestler. You have any idea how ridiculous their conditioning is?

lol, because professional wrestling matches aren't FILLED with down time...
Old 11-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #475
MrDNA
High School Varsity

I liked the undercard matchups. I love watching that giant gorilla Gonzaga and Hazlett is like a freaking rubberman.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #476
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

*shrug*

I'm actually amused by the fact that it's killing all the MMA fanboys that a former WWE pro-wrestler beat Captain America.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:20 PM   #477
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Actually these days there isn't all that much of it in most matches except on PPV, with the exception of a handful of guys who probably shouldn't be in the ring any more (Kevin Nash, I'm looking at you).
Old 11-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #478
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Actually these days there isn't all that much of it in most matches except on PPV, with the exception of a handful of guys who probably shouldn't be in the ring any more (Kevin Nash, I'm looking at you).

Haven't seen anything recently but all I remember is a lot of lying around, walking around, etc... As one guy or the other "energizes". Still, 5 minutes of WWE does not equate to 5 minutes of UFC in terms of energy usage.

Anyone who thinks that it is equal is fooling themselves and I find that quite amusing.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #479
MikeVic
Head Coach

Glad Lesnar won.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #480
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Haven't seen anything recently but all I remember is a lot of lying around, walking around, etc... As one guy or the other "energizes".

With the average match going 10 minutes or less today (as opposed to even complete squashes that could last longer even 15-20 years ago), there's less of that than ever before. Not so much that the pace of the matches has changed as that the pace of the TV product has changed, with shorter matches requiring less time & therefore fewer rest holds.

Quote:
Anyone who thinks that it is equal is fooling themselves and I find that quite amusing.

FTR, you haven't seen me make any claim of that sort. Just making the point that the conditioning gap is a lot less today than it would have been in the past.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #481
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Just a heads up for everyone.

WEC 'Torres vs. Tapia' is tonight on the VS network. 8pm est. Following that tonight is the 2 final episodes of the Ultimate Fighter this season on Spiketv, then next week (wed the 10th) is is UFC Fight for the Troops, followed (on the 13th) by the Ultimate Fighter Finale (where the winners from tonight's Ultimate fighter fight for the contract, both on Spiketv.

Andddd then on the 27th is the UFC ppv with Forrest Griffin vs Rashad Evans, Big Nog vs Mir and Wandy vs Rampage.

Great month for MMA. Lots of free MMA and a stacked PPV.

Last edited by Deattribution : 12-03-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #482
Flasch186
Coordinator

great month.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:13 AM   #483
Dutch
"Dutch"

Does Forrest Griffin stand a chance again Evans? I don't think so. Would be another great win for Griffin though, can't wait!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #484
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
Following that tonight is the 2 final episodes of the Ultimate Fighter this season on Spiketv

Yay for Junie Browning finally getting his ass and his ego handed to him last night.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:42 AM   #485
Flasch186
Coordinator

worst part of the night?

When Junie swerved us to say he would fight again. I was hoping for a shot of him working at a Whataburger.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #486
Travis
Pro Rookie

Very disappointed in this season. Not only should Junie have been kicked off at least 3 times, now he gets a televised bout at the finale. I know ratings drive the machine, but come on Dana, you're rewarding a guy that endangered other fighters on numerous occasions, told his coaches he didn't want to fight in the semi's and did nothing but complain about how poorly he was treated/trained/etc as an excuse for his lack of endurance.

I'd have much rather seen a (hopefully) healthy Roop get that televised bout as he at least seems to give a damn. Sure, hopefully some day Junie grows up and can showcase some of this supposed talent that he's carrying around, but I find it hard to believe that'll happen when he keeps getting chances that he doesn't earn (and spits in the face of time after time).
Old 12-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #487
Rich1033
High School Varsity

FWIW, Junie has actually been training at Extreme Couture since the show finished taping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Does Forrest Griffin stand a chance again Evans? I don't think so. Would be another great win for Griffin though, can't wait!

Id say he stands much more than a chance.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #488
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1033 View Post
FWIW, Junie has actually been training at Extreme Couture since the show finished taping.

Even worse actually, disappointing to see a guy so destructive get so many chances when there's got to be a lot of guys lining up just wishing to get one shot.

Either way, certainly not sending out much of a message for future competitors to give their all, accept responsibility for their actions or to act with any level of decency and respect for other fighters.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #489
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Here is the article about Junie from MMAjunkie.com. I got tired of watching Junie on the show, but if he can put in the dedication and training to become something in the future, I dont have any problem with him. The fact that Xtreme Couture even took him on shows that he must have grown up a bit.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #490
Travis
Pro Rookie

Honestly, if he's changed for the better, great. My problem is that he showed no regard for other fighter's health/safety on multiple occasions, blamed everybody but himself for his issues, lack of conditioning, problems, etc, and yet he still gets chance after chance. The way that article reads it sounds like he's doing well in a very focused environment which is good, but why should a guy that acted the way he did on the show get that sort of reward (both the televised match and getting to be a part of a gym like that)? In the end the guys with natural talent will always get more chances than those that don't, but it's not like the UFC is so hard up for fighters that they need to promote a guy who acted the way he did so soon. Make him work for it rather than repeatedly handing it to him and maybe it'll set a better example not only for him, but those aspiring to be a part of the sport. All they've shown now is that if you have talent you can pretty much do whatever you want in the house and the chances will keep getting handed to you. After the debacle of last season, I really never thought this would be the case.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #491
Flasch186
Coordinator

Im taking in a little K-1 tonight on HDNET and they have Kimbo as a guest. He's using his real name and Kimbo as the nick. A quick tidbit:

KIMBO, what do you think of K-1!?

'Well, first I want to see that I love the city of Japan....lots of buildings.'

Same Kimbo, new name.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #492
Flasch186
Coordinator

um, HONG MAN CHOI

7'2" 355pounds....no shit.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #493
Flasch186
Coordinator

anyone know of a site where I can find a casino in Mobile, AL showing the UFC 92 on Dec. 27th? Ill be there for that night and definitely want to see this card but I cant find a site to show me where it would be showing.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-11-2008, 12:48 AM   #494
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

YouTube - UFC Josh Koscheck Vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida Knock Out

3:40 in. Holy Fucking Shit. BOOM! (pause) BOOM! First shot knocked him out, 2nd shot shuts him down.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:06 AM   #495
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and let me say this. If you are queasy about injuries, DO NOT watch the Cantwell-Al Hassan fight.

That is one of the more gruesome injuries I've seen in MMA
Old 12-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #496
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

BOOM - Headshot!
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #497
Rich1033
High School Varsity

I think it was more of a Mortal Combat style "Finish him!" from Koscheck.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #498
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Oh, and let me say this. If you are queasy about injuries, DO NOT watch the Cantwell-Al Hassan fight.

Or go to ufc.com and watch the Corey Hill prelim.

Basically, Corey Hill broke his own leg on a leg kick. Trust me, it's not pretty.

Last edited by dervack : 12-11-2008 at 05:10 PM.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #499
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:

what....no linky?
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #500
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

There's a gif going around on Sherdog. If people want to see it, sure I can post it, but I think I'd be boxed for posting it.. it was that gruesome.