Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2007, 10:32 PM   #51
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle View Post
Fedor is going to Pride and it's rumored New Years Eve in Japan he'll take on Cro Cop.

That will be the most insane UFC Fight in a LONG TIME .. if not ever.

Fedor's already beaten Cro Cop once before. The guy is just an absolute monster.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?

Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:32 AM   #52
Desmond
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle View Post
And dola

On May 26th, Rampage is going to put Chuck out of his misery.

Rampage doesn't have what it takes mentaly to beat Chuck.

Promoted right, I think Coutre vs Cro Crop could top 1 Million buys pretty easily.
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:33 AM   #53
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty View Post
This is big news. For anyone who hasn't seen Pride, Pride has some of the best fighters in the world. This merger will allow the best of the UFC to fight the best of Pride in a Superbowl type setup. Not sure how they will handle it, but it should lead for some great future match ups.

I enjoyed what I saw initially from UFC, though I will admit I don't watch as much as I used to.

I showed a buddy and he got really hooked, and he did a little research and found out about Pride and together we watched some of the fights over the weekend while my daughter was sick.

I liked it more because it was less about grappling and more about winning. I was started to get bored with all the grappling bouts without any submission attempts. I also liked it because it was more offense, less defense. Some bouts the figthers just kept their hands down (never good in any fight), so it was always a hair away from knockouts.

I'm not sure if it'll be a good thing, yes some of the Pride fighters are really good, but I like the fact that it was rather unsantized and not really for the American market.

We'll just have to wait and see.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:14 PM   #54
Calis
College Starter

I really really hate to see the Pride ruleset changed, that's the biggest downside to this and I definitely see it as a negative and not a positive. I'm not sure what I think of this, I guess if the alternative was Pride going under I'm for it, but otherwise I'm not so sure.

I love Rampage, I do think Rampage can beat Chuck, but I also think he's not ready. Hell Rampage doesn't act like he thinks he can at this time. He wanted some more tune ups, and he got rejected. I think they're wasting this one. I'll be pulling for him though.

Pretty sad to hear this, I hope they keep them separated to a large degree and stick to this one big supercard a year or so. The bright side is maybe Shogun vs. Chuck, Fedor/Cro cop II obviously, and some other great possibilities.

We'll see how it pans out I guess.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #55
JeffNights
College Prospect

Rampage destroyed Chuck in the PRIDE LHW GP a couple years ago. He can beat him, trust me.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:20 PM   #56
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNights View Post
Rampage destroyed Chuck in the PRIDE LHW GP a couple years ago. He can beat him, trust me.

Was going to type this but Jeff beat me to it. Rampage is no joke and shouldn't be considered one. He has beaten Chuck once, Chuck is the one with something to prove.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #57
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ouch. UFC's looking to KO' Elite XC in the courts:

Quote:
The Ultimate Fighting Championship's parent company Zuffa Entertainment filed a lawsuit against cable network Showtime and their Mixed Martial Arts company Elite XC on 3/22 in the United States District Court of Nevada. The lawsuit alleges copyright infringement and unfair competition.

In a 34 page filing, Zuffa contends that the debut EXC broadcast on 2/10 in Southaven, MS featured "unauthorized, wrong, knowing and continuing appropriation, use and copying" of UFC copyrighted material that Zuffa has produced themselves or own from acquiring UFC in 2001 from Semaphore Entertainment.

The filing claims that the defendants, "wrongfully and willing copied the Infringed Copyrights, or caused the wrongful and willful copying" of the UFC footage. They allege EXC and Showtime may have also copied "other aspects and portions" of material Zuffa owns.

Zuffa also contends that the usage on EXC's broadcast created a "likelihood of confusion in the marketplace" and that EXC is using UFC's name and goodwill for their own good, citing the move was unfair competition on the part of Elite XC.

Zuffa requested that Showtime and EliteXC be enjoined from continuing to use the company's copyrighted material, that all copyrighted material be returned to them, that the defendants be forced to cover Zuffa's legal costs and that the court rule in their favor for any damages it deems fit. Their complaint was filed with detailed information on all of the material copyrighted and owned by Zuffa.

Neither Showtime nor EXC, who announced a massive undertaking today with a 6/2 MMA PPV at the 100,000 seat Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, have responded to their claims before the court. It's possible the companies may not have even been served with the complaint as of this writing.

Zuffa has demanded a jury trial in the filing.

The footage shown is from several UFC's: Ultimate Japan, UFC 16, UFC 17, UFC Brazil, UFC 22 and UFC 45
Old 03-28-2007, 06:28 PM   #58
Calis
College Starter

I should add, I'm quite aware that Rampage beat Chuck and beat him rather soundly, but I also think they're VASTLY different fighters now then they were 3 years ago.

Rampage has without doubt lost an edge, after being annihilated by Silva and Shogun he just really lost that killer instinct, and I think a couple of tune up wins would go a long way towards gaining that back. I do think he's a bad match-up for Chuck and the best stand-up guy I can remember Chuck fighting in God knows how long.

I'm all for him winning, and I think he can, I just don't think he's in the right state of mind now to do it. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #59
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I should add, I'm quite aware that Rampage beat Chuck and beat him rather soundly, but I also think they're VASTLY different fighters now then they were 3 years ago.

Rampage has without doubt lost an edge, after being annihilated by Silva and Shogun he just really lost that killer instinct, and I think a couple of tune up wins would go a long way towards gaining that back. I do think he's a bad match-up for Chuck and the best stand-up guy I can remember Chuck fighting in God knows how long.

I'm all for him winning, and I think he can, I just don't think he's in the right state of mind now to do it. I hope I'm wrong.

I agree completely with Calis. Anyone judging Rampage on his fight vs. Chuck several years ago is misleading themselves. After the two brutal beatings he took from Wandy, and another one from Shogun he hasn't been the same fighter. Watch his Don Yon Sik (or whatever his name was fight). In the meantime Chuck has gotten better if anything.

I also was more a fan of the Pride rules as opposed to UFC so I'm sad to see those go. One rule I hope they keep (we'll see) is the yellow card rule. If someone is just stalling and not trying to finish the fight (you hear me Koshceck and O'brien) the ref gives them a yellow card which docks them 10% of their pay and is used in judging criteria. Good rule IMO, along with knees on the ground, and no elbows (which lead to too many cuts).
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:03 PM   #60
heybrad
Norm!!!

I just got tickets to UFC 71 (Liddell vs. Jackson) in Vegas. I'm pretty stoked.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:10 PM   #61
moriarty
College Starter

Nice! Take your laptop. We want an instant report!
Old 04-02-2007, 04:29 AM   #62
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Damn! This is from the EliteXC co-sponsored show (promoted by Icon Sports) in Hawaii Last Night, the main event, Robbie Lawler vs Frank Trigg

First two of the last four punch combo? Sweet as hell. Third Punch? Barely excusable. Fourth Punch? Um... No.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #63
Calis
College Starter

Got this from over at Sherdog

"As the referee jumped in to stop the fight, Lawler caught the prone Trigg with another right hook.

"If it was Niko (Vitale) I wouldn't have done that, because Niko's the man and he has respect," Lawler said. "Trigg has no respect.""

Pretty awful. Sounds like he's pretty clearly saying he knew that Trigg was already KO'ed, that's inexcusable if true. The ref should've been in there sooner though, it's up to him to put a clamp on that quickly.

I also just read that Don Frye vs. James Thompson has been added to the next Pride card. Man, they're forming up a real crap show for their final one. Although I do find myself strangely excited for the Zulu vs. Butterbean fight, and I'm ashamed.

Last edited by Calis : 04-02-2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:16 PM   #64
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Got this from over at Sherdog

"As the referee jumped in to stop the fight, Lawler caught the prone Trigg with another right hook.

"If it was Niko (Vitale) I wouldn't have done that, because Niko's the man and he has respect," Lawler said. "Trigg has no respect.""

Pretty awful. Sounds like he's pretty clearly saying he knew that Trigg was already KO'ed, that's inexcusable if true. The ref should've been in there sooner though, it's up to him to put a clamp on that quickly.

I also just read that Don Frye vs. James Thompson has been added to the next Pride card. Man, they're forming up a real crap show for their final one. Although I do find myself strangely excited for the Zulu vs. Butterbean fight, and I'm ashamed.

Lawler's always been a bit of a hot head, but he had no business throwing that last punch. Ultimately though what the heck was the ref watching? As soon as he slumped (if not sooner) he should have been in there.

That next Pride card blows. It's pretty much like the Ferrettas said don't waste any major talent on your final show before we take over, so that we can control all the money matches. I'm taking Butterbean though, and James Thompson in an upset.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #65
Calis
College Starter

Man, I don't think Thompson over Frye is an upset really, have you seen Frye lately? I love the guy and he was a helluva fighter but he's done. He's looked real sluggish and out of shape the last couple times he has fought. It'll be a slugfest either way though.

So, what about this weekend's UFC? I thought it sucked, but after seeing Pride's card I think it sucks a little less. The main event is a joke, GSP vs. Serra is a horrible match. This one is not even close.

There's a couple interesting undercard fights though. Swick vs. Okami actually interests me, they've both been looking pretty good lately and it could end up being a very good fight. I'll give the nod to Okami though, I'd love to see him up against Silva.

Diego vs. Koscheck is another one people are interested in, but I'm not so much. I can't stand either of the guys, and Koscheck on a PPV makes me sad. He takes the boredom of an Arona fight and subracts about 75% of the talent. He's effective though, so he might have a shot, I guess it's for the TUF fans.

Curious to see if Herring can bounce back and at least show SOMETHING. While his time has passed, he's usually at least entertaining. He can't do worse than his last outing.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #66
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Man, I don't think Thompson over Frye is an upset really, have you seen Frye lately? I love the guy and he was a helluva fighter but he's done. He's looked real sluggish and out of shape the last couple times he has fought. It'll be a slugfest either way though.

So, what about this weekend's UFC? I thought it sucked, but after seeing Pride's card I think it sucks a little less. The main event is a joke, GSP vs. Serra is a horrible match. This one is not even close.

There's a couple interesting undercard fights though. Swick vs. Okami actually interests me, they've both been looking pretty good lately and it could end up being a very good fight. I'll give the nod to Okami though, I'd love to see him up against Silva.

Diego vs. Koscheck is another one people are interested in, but I'm not so much. I can't stand either of the guys, and Koscheck on a PPV makes me sad. He takes the boredom of an Arona fight and subracts about 75% of the talent. He's effective though, so he might have a shot, I guess it's for the TUF fans.

Curious to see if Herring can bounce back and at least show SOMETHING. While his time has passed, he's usually at least entertaining. He can't do worse than his last outing.

I just figured Frye would be a favorite due to his name/past, but while I haven't seen his recent fights I heard it's not pretty. Then again, Thompson is the biggest sissy puncher I've ever seen (don't tell that to Yoshida though).

I actually think the UFN card on Thursday is almost as good as the UFC card on Saturday (and that's not a good thing). I'm looking to Diego cleaning Koscheck's clock. I like GSP, but I don't see much of a match there. Okami's a good matchup for Swick. But if Herring can't get past Imes, he may as well hang it up.

Looking forward to Guillard vs. Stevenson though.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #67
Calis
College Starter

The Chute-Box site now lists Silva vs. Igor Vovchanchyn for Pride 34.

The card starts being a little more interesting.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:27 PM   #68
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Wow. 28 Minutes in and there's a new record for "TUF Fighters Foz Wishes he could punch in the face, without repercussions"
Old 04-05-2007, 09:57 PM   #69
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Damn, the guy I hated the most is gone already (I saw another of his fights, he was an absolute dick)
Old 04-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #70
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Damn, the guy I hated the most is gone already (I saw another of his fights, he was an absolute dick)

You hated the crabshack dude?

Seems like they could find someone for the show more qualified than a guy that's faught a few times part time to promote his restaurant. I'm surpised he didn't come to the ring with a Lobster shack shirt on or something.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #71
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, he fought on a Real Fighting Championships card that was later televised on SUN network, and well, he was an absolute dick. (I think that's why he was invited on to the show)

Looks like this show has an overdose of the crazy already, just from this week and looking at next week's preview
Old 04-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #72
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Looks like this show has an overdose of the crazy already, just from this week and looking at next week's preview

No doubt. We have the 6'4 inch 155lb wacko dog imitator, Nate Diaz (crazy just by his lineage), Jens who seems oddly bipolar, and Manny (Karo's cousin) who apparently goes bezerk in the previews. Not to mention Ruediger who went from loud mouth, to chubby kid, to cry baby all within the space of one episode.

WTF?

Last edited by moriarty : 04-06-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:33 PM   #73
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wait wait...i missed the UFC buying Pride thing

can we rewind??!?! WTF!

just brings us one step closer to Fedor taking over the world!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:42 PM   #74
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
wait wait...i missed the UFC buying Pride thing

can we rewind??!?! WTF!

just brings us one step closer to Fedor taking over the world!

Technically the Ferretta brothers bought Pride, but yes it opens up the MMA Superbowl possibilities. As for Fedor, that's another story. Depending on which rumors you believe Fedor may/may not be still under contract to Pride and may/may not have signed a multi-fight deal with Bodog.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #75
Calis
College Starter

Holy crap.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:45 PM   #76
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Holy crap.

HA! I shoulda bet one of my coworkers that Kos was gonna beat Diego . And holy crap is right when it comes to the main event result
Old 04-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #77
heybrad
Norm!!!

Koscheck and Sanchez did not live up to the hype. Very boring.

It was pretty shocking how Serra dismantled St Pierre.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #78
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Am I seeing things, or did ESPN show UFC highlights this morning? WTF?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #79
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
Koscheck and Sanchez did not live up to the hype. Very boring.

It was pretty shocking how Serra dismantled St Pierre.

Agree and agree....

The fight of the Night for me was the Huerta/Garcia bout. Those two went at it like Griffin and Bonner for 3 rounds. Though Huerta won decisively, Garcia is a tough SOB....would love to see a rematch, especially if Garcia had more time to train.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #80
Calis
College Starter

So as for the last ever DSE run Pride event.

Went out rather poorly I think. The fights weren't that bad, but getting there was horrific. Pride was usually all about the fights, one right after the other and this one dragged on. Extremely awkward "witty" banter between Frank Trigg and Coleman/Randleman, and watching the Coleman vs. Igor fight what seemed like 8 times. It was bad.

The fights. This Sokoujuwhatever character is starting to look like he could be a very real threat. It's still very hard to tell because we've seen him fight twice and for a total of about 3 minutes I think, if that. In that time he's beat Little Nog and Arona though, and in doing has showed some very heavy hands, and excellent takedown defense, it ain't easy to stop an Arona takedown like he did. He's just 22 as well, so this guy could be Shogun II. I want to see him in a little longer fight before I say for sure on this guy, but it looks good.

Frye vs. Thompson was about what was expected, Frye letting himself get pummeled. I think he could've literally stood there all night taking those shots from Thompson, which has to make Thompson feel pretty weak. Frye needs to stop though, he's taken way too many shots. The amount of times he apologized after the fight got pretty creepy as well, started to sound like a suicide note.

Fujita vs. Monson went about as expected.

The first fight of the night was the best imo. I can't even remember the names but it was a helluva fight.

I'm very angry we didn't get to see Butterbean vs. Zulu. Butterbean winning via an armbar? That's all time classic.

On another note, I just saw that the Diaz win over Gomi has been changed to a no decision because Diaz was aided by the use of marijuana. Good stuff.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:20 AM   #81
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
I'm very angry we didn't get to see Butterbean vs. Zulu. Butterbean winning via an armbar? That's all time classic.

It was a Kimura IIRC, but just so you don't feel anger, try this:

hxxp://www.dailymotion.com/videos/relevance/search/pride+34/1
Old 04-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #82
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Spoilers for tonight's UFC70 on SpikeTV

Spoiler
Old 04-21-2007, 08:03 PM   #83
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Spoiler
Old 04-21-2007, 10:05 PM   #84
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I *really* need to find this on the internet some where.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 04-21-2007, 10:11 PM   #85
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

you have a PM, sir.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:57 PM   #86
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

oh sweet jesus. That was a KICK. G'damm! Coutoure has gotta be shaking in his boots
Old 04-21-2007, 11:00 PM   #87
Travis
Pro Rookie

Poor guy, wake up with a killer headache and you can't put any weight on your leg, he's not going to believe them that it was all because of the kick until he watches the tape.

Gah does that look awful.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:01 PM   #88
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Poor guy, wake up with a killer headache and you can't put any weight on your leg, he's not going to believe them that it was all because of the kick until he watches the tape.

Gah does that look awful.

i'd be surprised if he wasn't out for months with the way his knee+ankle were awkwardly bent there.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:01 PM   #89
Calis
College Starter

Holy crap.

What the hell is going on in the world of MMA lately?

Another crazy one. What a kick.

Did you see his leg though? My god, that was disgusting. I wonder though if being knocked senseless will help with an injury because he wouldn't have tensed. Nasty though.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:03 PM   #90
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Holy crap.

What the hell is going on in the world of MMA lately?

Another crazy one. What a kick.

Did you see his leg though? My god, that was disgusting. I wonder though if being knocked senseless will help with an injury because he wouldn't have tensed. Nasty though.

that was the sickest kick i've ever seen. As good as any i've seen in pride, and the best i've seen in MMA (better than the Tim Slyvia vs. Tra Telligman one). Hit him right on the button. Wow.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:11 PM   #91
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
i'd be surprised if he wasn't out for months with the way his knee+ankle were awkwardly bent there.

He was apparently walking after the card.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:17 PM   #92
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He was apparently walking after the card.

well that's amazing, but good.

i'm glad you didn't spoil it for me btw...thanx
Old 04-21-2007, 11:26 PM   #93
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

here's a shot of cro cop after the kick.. I was going to put it in a spoiler tag, it's that stomach churning, and then I realized that this was what Hxxping links was made for.

hxxp://dnevnik.hr/media/images///extra/Apr2007//44512.jpg
Old 04-22-2007, 12:01 AM   #94
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
I *really* need to find this on the internet some where.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGedBB8rG48
Old 04-22-2007, 01:09 AM   #95
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Wow...I saw it live and tweaked out, but seeing it again over and over...WOW!
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:13 AM   #96
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
Wow...I saw it live and tweaked out, but seeing it again over and over...WOW!

I didn't see it live but had no idea what to expect (other than the end result), so it was kinda live'ish for me the first time on video. And DAMN ! my imagination was exceeded many times over.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:39 AM   #97
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Working YouTube link...hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCe_HD4WKJw
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:37 PM   #98
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Sick, just sick.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:03 PM   #99
kingfc22
Head Coach

That was the first time I've ever felt uneasy watching a MMA knockout. I thought he broke his neck when he fell to the ground. Not to mention his leg was going in 8 different directions.

Still can't believe he walked out of the cage.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:16 AM   #100
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

For a brief moment I actually thought he Cro-Cop was dead. Wow. And Bisping is a beast.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote