Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-09-2019, 10:53 AM   #401
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So I'm not super into football anymore, but perhaps I suggest any references to sports betting be in the sports betting page? That would avoid any unpleasantries and accusations of gambling problems, etc.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #402
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
So I'm not super into football anymore, but perhaps I suggest any references to sports betting be in the sports betting page? That would avoid any unpleasantries and accusations of gambling problems, etc.

Thats like saying maybe save any references to Trumps Alabama shenanigans for the severe weather thread.

It came up in the context of the thread. Lets not act like I was talking about picks or bad beats. I gave a suggestion as to why Eagle fans were acting the way they were and got accused of having a gambling problem.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #403
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
{shakes head} Have it your way. Pay no never mind what they say about guilty dogs barking the loudest, or the names of rivers in Egypt.

Look at the article I posted. 40% of football fans say they will place a bet.

Six billion bet on the superbowl last year.

Over 95 Billion bet on football every year

12 states have legalized betting, another 29 have it in the works

There is a 24-7 gambling network on Sirius/XM- VSIN. One of their shows is also on NSEN/MSG/ and several other networks. ESPN and FOX also have their own shows dedicated to wagering.

Showtime did a 4 part series called Action on sports betting, season 2 is in the works

Thursday night football ratings, do you really thing people are watching Carolina- Tampa because they are football purists?

None of this factors in fantasy, but I'm sure you're right Jon and I am just projecting based on my own interests.

Last edited by Lathum : 09-09-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:49 AM   #404
Kodos
Resident Alien

I just like watching football.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #405
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I just like watching football.

Not disputing that there are many people who do, but to act like gambling isn't a huge driver of the success of the NFL is putting your head in the sand. Earlier this year Caesars and the NFL announced a partnership. Literally everywhere you look the NFL and betting are coming together.

I dunno, to deny that it doesn't go hand in hand for a significant number of people is strange to me.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:00 PM   #406
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
If you, he, or anyone else thinks the NFL and its success isn't largely driven by gambling I have a bridge to sell you.

The Packers have a 30 year waiting list for season tickets.

I am sure this is the result of Green Bay's gambling problem.
/s

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #407
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
TI gave a suggestion as to why Eagle fans were acting the way they were and got accused of having a gambling problem.

The suggestion why Eagles fans were booing seemed like quite a stretch to me, tbh. I also think the response to the gambling problem post was a bit disproportional.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-09-2019 at 12:06 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #408
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
The Packers have a 30 year waiting list for season tickets.

I am sure this is the result of Green Bay's gambling problem.
/s

So you don't think the people betting almost 100 Billion a year on football don't drive the TV ratings and popularity?
Old 09-09-2019, 12:33 PM   #409
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
The suggestion why Eagles fans were booing seemed like quite a stretch to me, tbh. I also think the response to the gambling problem post was a bit disproportional.

OK. And it is certainly ok to dispute that. I would welcome a good natured discussion about it.

I think saying someone has a gambling problem who you don't know at all is a shitty thing to say. Perhaps I shouldn't have used expletives, but it was completely uncalled for to make that assumption.

You know Jersey. I grew up in Freehold near the track. I saw plenty of people with gambling problems. I'm not one of them.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:36 PM   #410
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So you don't think the people betting almost 100 Billion a year on football don't drive the TV ratings and popularity?

Just to play devil's advocate, are you sure that you aren't putting the cart before the horse?

You believe that gambling leads people to watch the NFL and have provided evidence correlation between the two.

Maybe being an NFL fan leads to people betting on NFL games?
Old 09-09-2019, 01:14 PM   #411
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I agree with this, as I think the booing was much more about Eagles' fandom (not exactly known for being a quiet or patient bunch) and the team sucking and alcohol consumption than it was gambling.

As for the second, I think cuervo's response was quite an overstep and extremely shitty thing to say. Lathum's response to it was over the top by a good bit, yes, but I understand him getting upset at that. I have no idea what cuervo was trying to prove with that move, other than to display his own utter lack of sensitivity.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #412
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Just to play devil's advocate, are you sure that you aren't putting the cart before the horse?

You believe that gambling leads people to watch the NFL and have provided evidence correlation between the two.

Maybe being an NFL fan leads to people betting on NFL games?

I see you point but would disagree.

Fans of a team are of course going to watch their team, no one would dispute that. There are also fans who love the game and will watch any matchup. I think where gambling drives the popularity is there is a large number of people watching games they have no rooting interest in other than they have money on it.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:53 PM   #413
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I see you point but would disagree.

Fans of a team are of course going to watch their team, no one would dispute that. There are also fans who love the game and will watch any matchup. I think where gambling drives the popularity is there is a large number of people watching games they have no rooting interest in other than they have money on it.
Sure, but I don't think there are a lot of neutral fans or ones who are only passionate because they're gambling in the stands in Philly. No question football and gambling are symbiotic, but +1 to CR's post here.

Last page got weird, can't you all just go back to agreeing on hating the Patriots?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #414
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Last page got weird, can't you all just go back to agreeing on hating the Patriots?

Absolutely!

I just read an article that says that Tom Brady has offered up a spot at his own place to AB while he settles into the area.

I threw up in my mouth a little when reading it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #415
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Absolutely!

I just read an article that says that Tom Brady has offered up a spot at his own place to AB while he settles into the area.

And people said it was child abuse when Brady pulled his kid off a cliff
Old 09-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #416
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And people said it was child abuse when Brady pulled his kid off a cliff

AB prob gets the top bunk.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #417
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sure, but I don't think there are a lot of neutral fans or ones who are only passionate because they're gambling in the stands in Philly. No question football and gambling are symbiotic, but +1 to CR's post here.

I liked the last page precisely because we weren't talking about the Pats
Old 09-09-2019, 02:18 PM   #418
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Absolutely!

Well technically that's his $36.5 million pad in Boston he's trying to sell, not the bigger and more expensive home with a freaking moat he had built in the suburbs & lives in with Gisele & the kids. Because I'll believe 12 when he says he's a million percent onboard with signing AB and seeing if he'll fit in, but it's probably best not to have him nannying the kids until he actually makes it through like a week of practice.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #419
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I liked the last page precisely because we weren't talking about the Pats
Well it's a little tough to avoid them when they're raising a(nother) banner and eviscerating another alleged AFC contender in prime time.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #420
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

No I don't.

Just from my personal experience.
I have watched foot ball since I can remember, I have never bet on a game.
My mom watches all the time, she has never bet.
No one I know has ever talked about betting on a game.
I just do not see it.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #421
cuervo72
Head Coach

I will fully admit - I do not bet on sports* and I was being a bit judgy. But it's struck me that Lathum has really gone all-in on this the last few months by his activity in the Sports Betting? thread (having "several apps," and making increasing bets - "one of my single biggest bets ever" - enough that "if it hits I could buy a Hyundai tomorrow"). Really, that's none of my business. If it's his money, he can do what he wants with it, and I can easily ignore the thread.

I was also getting a little defensive as an Eagles fan, and as a fan of the NFL in general. No, the popularity of the league is not primarily because people bet on it. Yes, a large number of people follow it to a granular degree because they are wagering on it, but that's not everybody. Certainly not the majority of those who are buying tickets to see a game in person that they could easily watch -- and bet on -- on their couches. If they're primarily about the action, they're at home watching the Red Zone channel. Thinking otherwise seemed to be viewing the league through a lens which was a little more gambling-focused than the rest of us.

* The last time I was in a fantasy league was the year when Vick and Warner were both on the shelf for the year...forget when exactly that was, but it was a while ago. It was a free league with like a half-dozen people from work. Last time I participated in an NCAA pool was probably high school, and I can't recall if that was for any money. If so it was maybe $10.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 09-09-2019 at 04:27 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:26 PM   #422
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
No I don't.

Just from my personal experience.
I have watched foot ball since I can remember, I have never bet on a game.
My mom watches all the time, she has never bet.
No one I know has ever talked about betting on a game.
I just do not see it.

Honestly both stances likely have no merit in reality.

Surtt, your experience is just your experience. That doesn't mean that gambling doesn't play a part, even a significant part, in the NFL's popularity. It just means that for your particular community of acquaintances it is not a key part of football popularity.

Lathum's $100 B number is a macro number that has a lot more empirically evident weight to it. That speaks to the actions of millions of people.

That said, Lathum states that he believes that this "drives" popularity in the NFL. I don't know if that is true. As noted by others, football was plenty popular before gambling was more widespread, and before the advent of fantasy football.

We would have to define what "driving" the popularity of the NFL would mean, quantitatively, in order to get an idea of what level of gambling would be enough to earn that distinction.

Without gathering further evidence or attempting to further define driving, I would guess gambling plays a significant part in the popualrity of football, but that it is just one of many contributing factors

Old 09-09-2019, 04:53 PM   #423
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I will fully admit - I do not bet on sports* and I was being a bit judgy. But it's struck me that Lathum has really gone all-in on this the last few months by his activity in the Sports Betting? thread (having "several apps," and making increasing bets - "one of my single biggest bets ever" - enough that "if it hits I could buy a Hyundai tomorrow"). Really, that's none of my business. If it's his money, he can do what he wants with it, and I can easily ignore the thread.

I was also getting a little defensive as an Eagles fan, and as a fan of the NFL in general. No, the popularity of the league is not primarily because people bet on it. Yes, a large number of people follow it to a granular degree because they are wagering on it, but that's not everybody. Certainly not the majority of those who are buying tickets to see a game in person that they could easily watch -- and bet on -- on their couches. If they're primarily about the action, they're at home watching the Red Zone channel. Thinking otherwise seemed to be viewing the league through a lens which was a little more gambling-focused than the rest of us.

Well since you don’t gamble let me educate you on the apps. There are about 15 or so apps you can sports bet on in NJ. All legal, licenses, and reputable. They all periodically offer bonuses I.e. deposit $100 they match $100. Bet $500 and receive a $500 bonus bet, etc. so by not shopping around you literally could be giving away free money. Sites also offer different lines. One site may have the saints favored by 7 and the other 6.5 and believe me that .5 point makes a difference. Some also have better odds for example at one site you may have to bet $120 to win $100 and another $110 to win $100. That’s just a couple reasons to have multiple apps.

As for my wagers I practice good bankroll management and when I make a large bet it’s usually on the back of a good run. I’m fortunate that my wife and I make a very good living and losing a few thousand in a week would
Have zero effect on us, not that I make a habit of that.

As for the second paragraph I wish you had just said that instead of taking a cheap shot because it could have been an interesting discussion.

As for the Hyundai I never said it was a new one and you can get a used one for dirt cheap. Thanks for the explanation. I do appreciate it.

Last edited by Lathum : 09-09-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:26 PM   #424
PilotMan
Head Coach

Man, the Patriots and their fans suck. I mean, wow, what a easy target they make themselves. It's something we (almost) all can agree on, right?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:46 PM   #425
Butter
Coordinator

Ah yes, who could forget these stupid fucking ESPN MNF Halftime Shows.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:24 PM   #426
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Trying to watch this game and simultaneously realizing there’s 4 more hours of this garbage espn production.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:27 PM   #427
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Also I guess that’s a bad tackle but a little overreaction by everyone involved.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:07 PM   #428
bhlloy
Coordinator

Sean Payton is ridiculous
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:08 PM   #429
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Would the last Dolphin to request a trade please turn off the lights?

Early mutiny in Miami – ProFootballTalk

The Ravens didn't hold back on them. In fact, Harbaugh seemed to rub it in and purposely run up the score on them. If he did that because of the obvious tanking then kudos to him. Every team should do that. If you're not trying then the sportsmanship stuff goes out the window and you humiliate them.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:20 PM   #430
BishopMVP
Coordinator

What a game. Even if neither team apparently wants to use a deep safety in the 4tg quarter...
Old 09-09-2019, 09:27 PM   #431
bhlloy
Coordinator

What a game is right. That's the difference between Payton/Brees and not having Payton/Brees. It looked like they were going to blow it there and run out of time, but they timed it to absolute perfection.

Pretty stupid by the Texans giving them the 10 yards there. If you force him to throw it over somebody, the game is almost certainly over.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #432
tarcone
Coordinator

Fantasy football story ahead

I had Hopkins and Brees going into tonight. My opponent had Lutz. Im down 30+. 2 seconds left Im up by over 3 points and smiling. This league goes to 100ths of a point. Lutz hits his 58 yarder. I lose 141.02 to 141.

Wow.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:24 PM   #433
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bill O’Brien should be fired this year.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #434
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dare I say Raiders looking good in regular season?
Old 09-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #435
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
GM Bill or Coach Bill or both? Gotta sort out the whole ownership & management issues first.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:44 PM   #436
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
GM Bill or Coach Bill or both? Gotta sort out the whole ownership & management issues first.

I assume JayZ is buying the Texans? They both need fired
Old 09-09-2019, 11:45 PM   #437
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I was working and not able to watch the game. What did I miss?

Near as I can tell, he took a team with a lot of new faces in key places into the home stadium of an NFC Champ Game finalist and nearly defeated them.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:47 PM   #438
Galaril
Pro Starter

Broncos look to Be a dumpster fire. All the guys they brought in seem to be busts after Pre season and this game. The the first round draft pick TE out of Iowa Fant has had 5 and counting terrrible plays from penalties to dropping balls etc. these guys are making the Raiders Carr look like Montana and the D like the 85 Bears.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:51 PM   #439
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Broncos look to Be a dumpster fire. All the guys they brought in seem to be busts after Pre season and this game. The the first round draft pick TE out of Iowa Fant has had 5 and counting terrrible plays from penalties to dropping balls etc. these guys are making the Raiders Carr look like Montana and the D like the 85 Bears.

Always risky taking a Hawkeye in the 1st round. You might have ended up with another Chuck Long/Nick Bell/Tom Knight.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-09-2019 at 11:51 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:27 AM   #440
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The 2nd string ESPN guys are better than Booger. Time to fire him
Old 09-10-2019, 06:26 AM   #441
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Always risky taking a Hawkeye in the 1st round. You might have ended up with another Chuck Long/Nick Bell/Tom Knight.

Nick Bell was drafted in the 2nd

Hockenson and Clark were drafted in the 1st round.

Fant is a head case. He got 2/3rds of the playing time Hock did with twice the athletic ability.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:30 AM   #442
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Bears traded up to get Mitch Trubisky in a draft where they could have stayed at their spot and gotten Deshaun Watson.

This is one of those things that we all know, but we should repeat it occasionally just to remind ourselves that a decision that bad was made.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:34 AM   #443
weegeebored
High School Varsity

No need to remind me about that pick. And I'm not making friends by pointing that out to the Trubisky fanboyz. I mean, how do you draft (with a move up) a QB from UNC with 13 college starts who couldn't beat out Marquise Williams? How do you even think about taking that guy over Watson? I really didn't like Kizer or Trubisky in that draft but the Bears didn't ask me.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:43 AM   #444
Warhammer
Pro Starter

A lot of the pundits were in on Trubisky as well. I never understood it for the exact reason you mention. A guy with only 13 college starts?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #445
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
A lot of the pundits were in on Trubisky as well. I never understood it for the exact reason you mention. A guy with only 13 college starts?

This was always hard to swallow going from TCY to FOF. I saw so many guys who put marginal college stats up go on to be breakout studs. I thought this would never happen! Well??? What do I know?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #446
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

It breaks my Orange heart to realize that DW4's career will be wasted, and likely cut short, in Houston.

When it comes to the draft process I think there is something that is way too often overlooked. Especially at QB. You dont have to be a "winner" to be a great NFL QB. Heck Brady is the GOAT and nothing in his pre NFL pedigree suggests he should be. But some kids come along are just winners. Those kids will find a way to excel and that should improve their stock incrementally. Not suggesting you draft solely based on that but it should be a tie breaker.

Watson won 1 state title and lost 2 state title games in high school for a school that had a football team since the 1920s and has never before or since played for a state title.

He played for 2 national championships and won 1 at Clemson for a school that had 1 NC prior in over 120 years of football. To me there was zero doubt he would be a star.

But man its is hard watching him play. He gets abused.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #447
Butter
Coordinator

I was shocked that KC traded up and DIDN'T take Watson. Yet that has worked out quite well for them, so I think it's folly to think that it was obvious to us but not to others about which QBs should've gone where in that draft.

Also, "Trubustsky" needs to come into usage.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:05 AM   #448
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
A lot of the pundits were in on Trubisky as well.

And posters here.

I've seen this done on reddit, it could be fun here - post the first 10-20 board comments about a guy like Trubisky, see how the opinion of him evolved, to where we get to the point where it seems like it should have been obvious in retrospect.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #449
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I didn't know enough about Trubisky (or Mahomes) to say anything definitive, but I know I was all in on DeShaun Watson (and Baker Mayfield) for the reasons CUTiger mentioned. He did have some injury concerns, and the Houston OL hasn't helped matters (though Cleveland's is MUCH worse right now), but he seemed like an obvious average to above average NFL QB.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #450
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Also, "Trubustsky" needs to come into usage.
I've been referring to him as "Trushitsky". I have to hope he turns it around as this is a SB defense; last year, too. I just have this bad feeling that after he throws for 360 and 4 TDs in a game Pace will extend him. The Bears really can't get their QB situation worked out. It's kind of their hallmark -- bad QBs and great defense.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote