Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

anyone see that girls ankle tonight?

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, pretty gross. I thought she broke it.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
wade moore
lolzcat

Much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

lol, dick.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
MikeVic
Head Coach

I hope the personalities are stronger this year.

I started watching this show with season 4, and that was an awesome season. I then went back to watch season 3 as season 5 was going on. And I've also seen Canada and Australia. Season 5 of the U.S. show had such weak personalities. Kayla made it to the end, and I think she was the weakest one I've seen on any show. She was pretty, but there was something different about her compared to people like Lauren (S3), Chelsie, Courtney, Katee, and Kherington (S4). Jeanine from season 5 was probably the only "strong" personality in that season for me, and Brandon was interesting enough for me to like him.

I think this season needs to get some strong personalities again, someone like Dominik (S3). So far from the auditions, I'm excited about that krumper guy, and there have been a few hot/cute/pretty women, but I'm hoping they have the personalities to go along with it.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Old 10-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I would definitely agree that S5 had the worst personalities. Hopefully this season will be an improvement.

Dominik may have been my favorite as far as personality goes.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
lol, dick.

There is powerful irony in this exchange.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #8
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I'm in the same boat as you, MikeVic. I started watching with season four and I remember being extremely excited every day SYTYCD was on because I was blown away with the show. I wondered as season five was going along if I was spoiled by season four, and I wondered just how good season four was and how bad season five was compared to previous seasons. Because last season sucked in a lot of parts.

Throughout the early part of six though, my hopes have raised again. In my totally professional( ) eye it appears the dancers are better this year, and I find myself rooting for a lot more compared to season five. I think this year's top 20 will be very good.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I'm in the same boat as you, MikeVic. I started watching with season four and I remember being extremely excited every day SYTYCD was on because I was blown away with the show. I wondered as season five was going along if I was spoiled by season four, and I wondered just how good season four was and how bad season five was compared to previous seasons. Because last season sucked in a lot of parts.

Throughout the early part of six though, my hopes have raised again. In my totally professional( ) eye it appears the dancers are better this year, and I find myself rooting for a lot more compared to season five. I think this year's top 20 will be very good.

I think it's partly because season four was so good, and partly because season five wasn't good. I think season three of the U.S. version was really good too, if you wanted to watch a good season.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Just a heads up for those who somehow missed the commercials today..

Tomorrow night is go time. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow. As we talked about earlier, I feel this season will be much better then last. I like the blend of dancers. Should be a fun season.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #11
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am curious how the 3 tappers do.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:09 AM   #12
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm upset the Charisma Carpenter-looking girl opted out due to a freaking movie.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:07 AM   #13
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I think her name was Paula. yea, that sucked.

I really like the personality of that Molle girl, the one they say looks and dances like a 14 year old. She just seems so genuine.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #14
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I think her name was Paula. yea, that sucked.

I really like the personality of that Molle girl, the one they say looks and dances like a 14 year old. She just seems so genuine.

Yeah, her and that new friend of her's were awesome together. I'm hoping there are great personalities this year.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #15
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I was doing a little reading before the show starts here in a few minutes.

Billy Bell is out for ths season due to being sick?!?! WTF!

Noelle is hurt, possibly done for the show!? WTF!
Old 10-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #16
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I was doing a little reading before the show starts here in a few minutes.

Billy Bell is out for ths season due to being sick?!?! WTF!

Noelle is hurt, possibly done for the show!? WTF!

Stupid AstroTurf.

I read some statement from the Bell family, and he apparently could die if he danced... must've been some crazy sickness. He also can't go back to Julliard right now either.

Sucks about Noelle, she was a fun personality.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:58 PM   #17
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

From a couple SYTYCD sites I read, and the comments sections, I read that it was Mono.

Take that for what its worth though, as I believe I saw a lot of it in the comments section.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:48 AM   #18
MikeVic
Head Coach

Mono? Geez.

Well at least the people that went home made sense. If the krumping guy went home, I'd be pissed. And that was such an energetic disco that Mollee did. Also kind of funny to see Adam basically say he's gay.

I hope that last-second fill-in for Billy can still try out next season. It would be pretty unfair if he couldn't.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #19
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I've always felt the dance for your life bit was nonsense, but last night was good proof. I wanted Paulina to stay, but her solo was extremely weak. Ariana's was better, by far.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #20
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

At least they are being clear now that the dance for your life is really just a chance to see them dance one more time and that it is the total body of work that they use to decide.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #21
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

True.

Anybody else feel Brandon and Paulina's performance didn't warrant them both being in the bottom? I feel with the last minute changes for Brandon, and even if you don't consider that, they did a good job...
Old 10-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #22
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
True.

Anybody else feel Brandon and Paulina's performance didn't warrant them both being in the bottom? I feel with the last minute changes for Brandon, and even if you don't consider that, they did a good job...

I felt bad for Brandon, but what other guy would you put there? I think this group as whole seems very strong and he was clearly one of the two weakest guys.

For the girls, I could see an argument for one or two other dancers being there ahead of her.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #23
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I felt Phillip should have done better. As a tapper this was one style he should have been better at if he plans on making it far and I just don't think he was all that special..

I thought Peter was nothing special during his hip hop routine.

And I thought Kevin was average.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #24
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Jesus, who pissed in Nigels Cherrios last night?
Old 11-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #25
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah he was grumpy for two nights in a row. I'm OK with who left though. I hope this means they don't give tappers much of a chance in the future. I know for myself, I find it pretty boring so the solos suck. And if they ever bring tapping as a style to pick from, that would be brutal.

The only time I've thought tapping was interesting was a guy on the Canadian version of the show that tapped on the insides and outsides of his feet. Now that was different than anything I've seen and looked cool.

Speaking of, I'm glad to see two of the outstanding choreographers from the Canadian version make it to this show. Stacey Tookie and Sean Cheesman always had good dances, and I think they've done well here so far.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #26
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

so far, this season is kind of meh...especially compared to seasons 4 and 5 (the only two I've seen).

do like having Adam on every week - at least it keeps the mic away from Lil C
Old 11-12-2009, 10:36 PM   #27
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Yeah he was grumpy for two nights in a row. I'm OK with who left though. I hope this means they don't give tappers much of a chance in the future. I know for myself, I find it pretty boring so the solos suck. And if they ever bring tapping as a style to pick from, that would be brutal.

The only time I've thought tapping was interesting was a guy on the Canadian version of the show that tapped on the insides and outsides of his feet. Now that was different than anything I've seen and looked cool.

Speaking of, I'm glad to see two of the outstanding choreographers from the Canadian version make it to this show. Stacey Tookie and Sean Cheesman always had good dances, and I think they've done well here so far.

Everett was an awesome entertainer for a tapper. I mean, he was sliding all over, tapping on his toes, then on the outside and inside of his feet, etc. I enjoyed all of his solos on the Canadian version of the show. These three tappers, meh. And double meh to the whoever decided to switch the sound to having a mic taped to their ankles whenever a tapper would come on stage. What the heck was that about? Everett never needed that for us to enjoy one of his solo, or at lease not for me.

I'm also very glad to see Stacey be more present, and Sean Cheesman is also a very good addition.

About Nigell, he was about right with his comment though, except maybe for when he said that EVERYBODY had failed to impress with their solos. One did impress me, Kevin. Did you see him drop back in slow motion? That was pretty neat, and he was hitting as hard as anyone I've seen.

I do agree with DD, season 6 has been a bit overhyped so far... Nathan and Molly are getting on my nerves a bit...

FM
Old 11-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #28
MikeVic
Head Coach

I think I've made myself vocal about season four being absolute tops for me, and I don't think it's because that was the first season I watched from beginning to end. It just had awesome dancers AND personalities. I think any of the top freaking six could have won and people would've been OK with it (at least I would). Season five was meh (although Jeanine was such a hottie), and season six is alrigh so far. I think I like it more than season five at this point in the competition, but we'll have to see how it goes the rest of the way.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #29
MikeVic
Head Coach

Geez, two stupid decisions by voters tonight. Ashleigh and Ryan?
Old 03-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #30
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Announced changes for the upcoming season of SYTYCD, as tweeted by Nigel (so far):

First rule change. Only one dancer will leave the competition each week and not two. Many more changes to come by the end of this week.

Another rule change for SYTYCD this coming Season. The partners will change every single week.

This Season will not have a top 20. The pieces are falling into place. More tomorrow.

We didn't watch the last season - it was SYTYCD overload coming off of the summer season, plus it was all disjointed with the playoffs and such breaking up the season, etc. We just never got into it. Summer is the right time for this, and just one season a year, IMO.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #31
wade moore
lolzcat

With X-Factor coming, I'm assuming this stays as a summer show now.

I saw the tweet about partners changing - I think it's more "fair", I'm not sure it's more "entertaining".

With one voting off at a time, no way they can have a top 20 - it would take WAY too long.

But with only one voting off... I wonder how they deal with odd numbers...

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #32
MikeVic
Head Coach

Looking forward to it. I hope they know what they're doing with the changes though. I don't want them to ruin the show. I agree that it was overload last year.

I thought I read that Mia Michaels is going to be a permanent judge too, but maybe that was a rumour.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #33
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Looking forward to it. I hope they know what they're doing with the changes though. I don't want them to ruin the show. I agree that it was overload last year.

I thought I read that Mia Michaels is going to be a permanent judge too, but maybe that was a rumour.

Yeah, the format has been perfect thus far. They need to be careful. AI has only managed to muck up the show when they make changes.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #34
Ksyrup

What I heard about the judging was that Nigel wants to shake things up a bit; he thought last season you knew what each judge would say before they said it. Mia will be back, but no one knows in what capacity. Nigel hinted at switching up the judges on a weekly basis, and all he'd say is he would still be there. Leaves open the question of whether Botox Boxcar Mary will still have a place on the show, either in rotation or as a permanent judge.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #35
Ksyrup

As far as how these changes will play out, I trust Nigel. He left AI when he saw it was going down the tubes, and the comments he's made about what he'd do if he was still running the show at AI are pretty much spot-on, IMO.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #36
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
As far as how these changes will play out, I trust Nigel. He left AI when he saw it was going down the tubes, and the comments he's made about what he'd do if he was still running the show at AI are pretty much spot-on, IMO.

On top of that - SYTYCD has evolved in a lot of smaller rule changes like this over the year - and I think they've done a good job.

At the same time, they've made some changes that didn't work (John Meyer routine anyone?) and they realized their mistakes and didn't repeat them.

I trust them as well.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #37
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Lol wade. I can't hear that song without thinking of sytycd
Old 03-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #38
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

can't remember which routine/song you are talking about... Any help?

FM
Old 03-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #39
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
can't remember which routine/song you are talking about... Any help?

FM

A few seasons ago they did a routine to John Meyer's "Waiting on the World to Change.." (or whatever the actual title is).

They all had white t-shirts and put whatever they wanted on it.

Then each person did the EXACT SAME solo routine to that song.

It was a disaster.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #40
Ksyrup

Oh dear God, no! I still have that song pop up in my head from time to time, and I don't think I've heard it more than once or twice (if that) since that episode.

It was the "waiting on the world to change" song, where every contestant had to do the same routine over and over, so we heard the song like 36 times in a 45 minute span.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #41
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
A few seasons ago they did a routine to John Meyer's "Waiting on the World to Change.." (or whatever the actual title is).

They all had white t-shirts and put whatever they wanted on it.

Then each person did the EXACT SAME solo routine to that song.

It was a disaster.

ok, that's then one I thought about but my google fu was letting me down. Any googling of "John Mayer SYTYCD" brought me back to the bed routine of Twitch and Kherrington and I didn't remember it being so bad, at least not in such a way to mentione it as THE one mistake the producers might have made.

I agree that the white T-shirt thing was not a very good one. And yeah, can't hear it without thinking about SYTYCD, but it's not the only one either. Got many other songs I associated automatically with the show, probably because it's not the type of music I usually listen to and many of these songs I heard on SYTYCD for the first time...

FM
Old 03-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #42
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
I agree that the white T-shirt thing was not a very good one. And yeah, can't hear it without thinking about SYTYCD, but it's not the only one either. Got many other songs I associated automatically with the show, probably because it's not the type of music I usually listen to and many of these songs I heard on SYTYCD for the first time...

FM

Yeah, but those are generally remembered in a positive light .

Quote:
Old 03-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #43
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, but those are generally remembered in a positive light .

yeah, there's that.

FM
Old 03-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #44
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I actually like the Waiting on the World to Change thing. :-/

Old 03-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #45
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

A new season already?? Thanks for posting this! I enjoy this show better than American Idol. At least with bad dancers you don't have to hold your ears. And yes that episode made me hate that John Meyer song...

And by the by, didn't Paula Abdul continue to make herself look foolish by not ever agreeing to come on the show after the big buildup that she would last year?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #46
Ksyrup

New season isn't until right after AI ends, like usual.

OK, so here are the final pieces of the puzzle:

Quote:
CHANGE-The competitors will no longer choose their genres of dance. I’ll explain everything before the SYTYCD Press Conference on Monday!

And here's the final one, and now everything makes total sense. It also seems like this is a really nice twist on the show, too:

Quote:

@dizzyfeet: “We are forming a ‘dance-pool’ of your favorite dancers from previous Seasons to act as partners for this year’s top 10.”
” will be naming the “All-Star Pool,” one by one, across the next couple of weeks. They will be chosen from all 6 Seasons..”
“Only the competitors will be judged not the “All-Stars.”. America votes for their favorite and one of the bottom three dancers will go home.”
Old 03-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #47
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

So they're turning it into Dancing with the Stars?

Old 03-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #48
Ksyrup

I guess that's one way to look at it. All these people can dance, though - it's just former contestants paired with current season contestants, (presumably) allowing them to pair up with a partner who excels at a given genre and not have to worry about having a partner who can't dance a particular genre. Plus, this does away with the inherent unfairness of getting paired for a month or more with someone who's either limited or not as popular as someone else's partner.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #49
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Yeah, that's a good argument -- but it changes a fundamental part of the show. I guess I'll just have to see how it plays out.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #50
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yea, I see both sides. Not sure which way I side on, though.

With the old format you knew both dancers up there were giving it their all, and that both dancers were in there with the same goal. They were both fighting to acheive their dream.

Technically, I'm sure the new format is better but I don't know if I like it.