Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Weekday League (FOWL)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Carolina on the Move!

Dateline Raleigh -

In a surprise move today, members of the Carolina Panthers front office were seen up the I-85 corridor in Greensboro talking with members of the city council. There had been recent grumblins that the Panthers were unhappy with the current state of their stadium, especially after some of the ice and flooding of the last couple of years exposed issues with the outdoor stadium. A measure was put forth last year to build a new retractable roof stadium, but with the Charlotte area in a major economic freefall after the govermental takeover of the banking industry killed a major source of jobs in the Charlotte area there was little faith that such a measure would pass.

Greensboro on the other hand has been basking in the spillover effect of high-tech industries crowding the next-door Research Triangle area and is currently one of the fastest growing areas in the country. It would be close enough that the die-hard fans in Charlotte could make the quick trip up for games, and it would put them closer to the fans in the Raleigh-Durham area. Greensboro has been coveting the Panthers for many years now, and this may be their best chance.

But will the publicity kill the move? Most in Charlotte, with one of the lowest per-capita incomes in the nation, really don't care as they are leaving the city in droves to find work elsewhere, but there is always a general backlash when a team asks the public anywhere to build a stadium. The overwhelming support within Greensboro however may be able to tip that balance.

We'll be following developments closely.

Last edited by gstelmack : 07-22-2009 at 08:24 AM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
TheMeat
n00b

I got approved to move out to Reno, thinking it only took one season but I think I don't get to move for another 2? Anyways, I like relocations, gives the league some flavor, I hope it goes through for ya G.
Owner/GM of the soon to be awesome Fort Worth Fury of the IHOF

TheMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMeat View Post
I got approved to move out to Reno, thinking it only took one season but I think I don't get to move for another 2? Anyways, I like relocations, gives the league some flavor, I hope it goes through for ya G.

Its actually 3 full seasons, so you'll be there in 3034.

The Redskins finally moved all the way across country to the great state of Oregon...still deciding on the name, so for the Portland Breakers are leading in the polls. Go USFL!
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Its actually 3 full seasons, so you'll be there in 3034.

The Redskins finally moved all the way across country to the great state of Oregon...still deciding on the name, so for the Portland Breakers are leading in the polls. Go USFL!

Now that the Redskins moved, I petition they be removed from the NFC east and replaced by Chicago.

Thanks!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #5
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The nice thing is the move to Greesnboro makes it easier for all those Raleigh fans who followed the Redskins their whole lives to switch to the Panthers now that the 'skins are moving...
Old 07-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
gstelmack
Pro Starter

On a related note, now that I'm back in and am using the fcy and fni files, I'm getting the "Texans show as Huntington instead of Houston" everywhere issue. Did they actually move, or did anyone figure out a fix? If not I can look into fixing if I get the move to Greensboro, as I'd like to rename "Carolina" to "Charlotte" and "Greensboro" to "Carolina" and keep the name the same.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
TheMeat
n00b

I got aprovved last year, I think the game says it'll take effect for 2033, which makes sense.
Owner/GM of the soon to be awesome Fort Worth Fury of the IHOF

TheMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
On a related note, now that I'm back in and am using the fcy and fni files, I'm getting the "Texans show as Huntington instead of Houston" everywhere issue. Did they actually move, or did anyone figure out a fix?
My best guess is that they were set to move when we started the league, and we just didn't realize it. The AI does move teams sometimes.

Quote:
If not I can look into fixing if I get the move to Greensboro, as I'd like to rename "Carolina" to "Charlotte" and "Greensboro" to "Carolina" and keep the name the same.
Can I just do this from my end?

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 07-18-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #9
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Can I just do this from my end?

Yes, that's just using the rename function already in FOF. The only reason I was offering was if I needed to fix up Houston/Huntington as that may involve cleaning something up inside the game file itself.

I need to run Interrogator and see what's up.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:33 AM   #10
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Hmm, I'm not sure what's up with the Houston/Huntington thing. The data I can see looks correct so far.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #11
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I'm not sure I ever updated the city files for the league, Greg.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #12
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Yeah, something is very screwy. The fcy and fni files are fine, and nothing in the data file looks borked (all instances of "66" which is Huntington's index are either temperatures in the city data or stats in the player historical records"). I may try deleting the fcy and fni and see if it goes away. I did not have this issue at the start of FOWL while some did.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #13
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Dateline Raleigh -

FOWL has announced that Carolina's application to move to a new stadium in Greensboro has passed. Excitement filled the air as Greensboro welcomes its first professional sports franchise, and Charlotte unloads the giant white elephant.

"This move will help all of North Carolina" Panthers owner gstelmack said. "We're still close enough for our fans in Charlotte to come on up, we're closer to our fans in Raleigh, and Greensboro has the infrastructure to support the stadium. And this keeps us inside the state and more centrally located."

Fans in South Carolina were heard grumbling, but Clemson and Gamecock football have retained their stranglehold on the region and are happy to not have the competition anymore.

The new stadium breaks ground tomorrow and should be ready for the Panthers move in 2033.