Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-04-2005, 06:43 PM   #1
Blade
College Prospect

FOF2K4: A Team of Our Very Own - Season 2

Welcome to Season 2 of my FOF2K4 Dynasty. The premise: To choose a team to mold into my own. That includes moving the team to a new city, and blowing up the roster if players don't suit my taste. The team of choice...the Oakland Raiders.

To read about how it all began, please visit:

FOF2K4: A Team of Our Very Own - Season 1

Please enjoy this little story of mine, and feel free to comment.

Thanks!

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.

Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 06:49 PM   #2
Blade
College Prospect

Raiders Clean House: New Head Coach, Defensive Coordinator, Scouting Staff Hired

Oakland, CA (2006 Off-season) – The Raiders started their spring cleaning, as they announced the hirings of a new Head Coach, Defensive Coordinator, and Scouting staff at a press conference, held yesterday. Joining the Raiders organization is Brent Marlin at Head Coach, Mel Porter at Defensive Coordinator, and Gino McIntyre as the new Lead Scout.

The move is a surprising one, considering the relative success the Oakland Raiders experienced in the 2005 season, going 9-7 and winning their first round playoff game, before losing by a last second field goal to the eventual Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts. The contracts of the people holding these positions during 2005 had expired at the end of the season, but it was expected that at least one of the three, former Head Coach Jorge Shank, would be resigned.

“I was surprised, to say the least,” said Shank, after being reached for comment by phone. “I thought we had a pretty good year, all things considered. We were over .500, made the playoffs, and even won a playoff game, and this was with a defence that had been decimated by off-season deals and injuries. I had a couple of conversations with [GM Barrett] Blade during the season, but nothing concrete. That said, I got the impression that I would be back. What can I say? I am disappointed, but I guess it is time to move on.”

Taking over for Shank will be Brent Marlin, who was the Head Coach of the Houston Texans last season. The Texans only managed a 2-14 season under Marlin, which raised more questions about why he was being brought into the Raiders fold. He was signed to a 3-year deal, worth a reported $3.5 million per year.

“I am excited to be here,” said Marlin at the conference. “This is a great organization, and I really like the direction they are headed in, and I hope to bring some new ideas to the team. I had a rough year, last year, but you have to look at the situation I was in. I was hoping to stay and build on some things there [in Houston], but they didn’t seem interested in bringing me back, so when Barrett Blade called, I jumped at the opportunity to come here.”

The Raiders felt that a change was needed on the defensive side of the ball, as they passed on the resigning of former Defensive Coordinator Louie Sutter, instead signing Mel Porter, who was the Defensive Coordinator for the 5-11 New Orleans Saints last season. Porter was signed to a 3-year deal worth a reported $2,760,000 a year. The Raiders defence was one of the worst in the league last season, which is why the change was made.

“I just want to bring a new attitude to the team,” said Porter. “We have some good players, but I know that the management here want to revamp the defence, and I am glad to be able to play a part in that.”

The last change made by the Raiders management was the hiring of an all new scouting staff, led by a new Lead Scout, Gino McIntyre. McIntyre replaces former scout Eric Washington, who is now 62 years old.

When questioned about the moves, Raiders GM Barrett Blade was excited. “We are bringing in some great people here, and installing a new attitude. Brent Marlin is a fantastic motivator, and knows how to call plays properly. Plus, he has a great defensive mind, which is something we were lacking here last season. Coupled with Mel Porter, I think that we will have a new defensive philosophy, which I love. But Brent is still very sound offensively, and with [Offensive Coordinator] Aaron Ellis returning for another year, we will be able to maintain our success with the offence.”

Out of jobs, Louie Sutter quickly took Mel Porter’s previous position, signing with the New Orleans Saints for 3 years, worth $1,240,000 a year. Jorge Shank and Eric Washington have not signed with any team at this point. “They are all good people,” said Blade. “It was definitely a lot of fun having them with the club, but we felt changes were needed. Obviously, our defence played a part in it, as Jorge was not as sound in the defensive side of the game as we would have liked, and Louie had some issues as well. But I think he will do great with the Saints, and Jorge should land on his feet in no time.”

Blade’s focus will now be set on the free agent market and the upcoming draft. “It is an exciting time. We are hoping to bring in some good people, whether it is through free agency or the draft. We have something to build on, and it will be exciting to watch this team grow.”

Old 11-04-2005, 06:54 PM   #3
Blade
College Prospect

It had been a whirlwind month already. It has started with the interviewing of new candidates for staffing. I knew that Eric Washington had to go, he was just too old and did not have an eye for talent. I had interviewed two candidates, and I am happy that I was able to get Gino, even though he was my second choice.

The conversation with Eric had gone relatively well. I let him know that we would not be rehiring him, and he acted as if he had known it was coming. I think, deep down, he was ready for retirement anyway. The other two decisions, and discussions, had not gone as well.

First there was the Defensive Coordinator position. I thought that Louie was a decent DC, but I was not too sure about his philosophy, and he was not very good at dealing with the secondary. Looking at who was available, I immediately interviewed Mel, as I had heard good things through the grapevine. The interview went very well, as we talked for two hours about defensive systems, what had happened while he was with the Saints, and why he would be interested in working with us. I offered him a contract, and it did not take long for him to accept.

I tried to bring Louie in for a meeting so that I could let him know that we would not be offering him a new contract, but he was unable to come in. I did talk to him on the phone, though, and he was not happy. Our conversation had gone something like this:

Me: “Hi Louie. I wanted you to come in to the office so we could talk, but I understand you are not able to come by.”

Louie: “Nope. I have some engagements that I have to attend to. What did you want?”

Me: “I wanted to thank you for your work with us, but that we would not be offering you a new contract.”

There was silence on the line for a few moments.

Louie: “Why the Hell not? I did what I could with this team, and we did better than we should have!”

Me: “We did well, Louie, but our defence was one of the lowest rated in the league. That may be the main reason we did not go further last year.”

Louie was upset, and the anger shone through.

Louie: “What the Hell did you expect? You traded off our best corner, then we had to deal with injuries all damn year! And your solution was to bring in players who couldn’t even make a team after training camp!”

Me: “Louie, we did what we could. There is not a magic tree growing great defensive players, just waiting for us to grab one when there is a need. I tried to bring in the most talented players available, and guys who would mesh well with the players we had.”

Louie: “Screw you, Blade. You did jack all. It was like you were trying to screw me over all along. Go to Hell.”

Click. The line went dead.

Not a fun call to have, but I did what had to be done. I had to move on to other things, though, as I had lined up interviews with three other people who were candidates to become our Head Coach. Once I met with Brent, I knew I had found the man for the job. Our interview went very well, as he had come to the meeting prepared with a playbook and gameplan taking into account the players we already had in the organization. He also had a list of wants and desires, and what he would do when he took over the team. The interview went for three or four hours, and it was one of the best conversations I had ever had. During the conversation, I talked a little bit about my desires for the team, and some of the changes I was thinking about making, and he seemed to share a similar mind. As soon as the interview was over, I offered him a contract.

He was happy about the offer, but opted to take his time in deciding. I believe he interviewed for a couple other teams, then finally decided to take our offer.

Once Brent signed on, I was able to call Jorge in for a face-to-face discussion. Our conversation went a little bit better, but was still not easy to have.

Me: “Jorge, thank you for coming in. First off, I want to thank you for the work you put in for us last year. You did a good job, all things considered.”

Jorge: “Thanks Barrett. And I am looking forward to continuing what we have going, and having a better year next year. In fact, I have some ideas…”

Me: “Jorge, that is why I called you in. Unfortunately, we will not be offering you a new contract.”

Jorge sat stunned for a minute. Finally, he was able to speak again.

Jorge: “What? Why?”

Me: “We just feel that we need to move in a new direction. There will be some changes coming to this team, and we just want the right people in place.”

Jorge: “And why do I not fit into that?”

Me: “Well, first off, we want to bring in a strong defensive philosophy. Let’s face it, Jorge, that is not your background, or your strong suit. I know that the defensive plays were put forth by Louie, but they all went through you. That is an area we need to strengthen.”

Jorge: “So bring in a new Defensive Coordinator.”

Me: “I did. But I need to have someone at the helm who I can count on to make the right decisions when the play is being called. Unfortunately, that is not you.”

Jorge again lapsed into silence. I saw a range of emotions cross his face. Finally, he seemed to accept it.

Jorge: “Alright. I assume that because you called me in here, you have already made an offer or signed the new Coach?”

I nodded.

Jorge: “Well, then it doesn’t really matter what I say, does it? I guess I will get out of here.”

I went to say something more, but Jorge shook me off and left. It had been a tough thing to go through, but it was done, and I was free to concentrate on other things.

Later in the week, I went with John Mackey down to City Hall, where he finally presented his stadium proposal to the City Council. The presentation was a thing of beauty. It lasted for over an hour, where Mack laid out the benefits of a new stadium. He pointed out the issues with the current stadium, then brought out some visual aids. He had a miniature 3-D model of the stadium created, as well as a ‘virtual’ model built by computer so that he could walk the Council through the stadium. He also brought out financial models on the benefits that the Raiders brought to Oakland, and what it would would happen with a new stadium. It was quite a convincing presentation.

Until he showed them the cost.

Mack had designed the stadium to have a retractable roof, with a grass turf. He had planned for general seating of 70,000, 15,000 club seats, and 300 luxury boxes. Total cost: $814,000,000. I think the various council members nearly choked to death when they saw that. But then they looked at the next line. Team Contribution to the Project: $0.

Mack and I walked out of there with huge smiles on our faces. The Council had said that they would let us know of the decision to build the stadium in the next few months. We knew that the way was paved for our ultimate plan…to move the team. We only have a few months more to wait, and we were home free.

It had been a whirlwind month, but what a great month it was.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:29 PM   #4
CalgaryBaller
n00b

I'm loving this Dynasty Blade, one of the most creative I have read in a while. The reports are really well done.

On a side note, as a fellow Oilers fan, it sure feels good to see the offense clicking again with the recent spurt of 15 goals in 3 games. Hopefully Peca will be back quick to add more punch.

And before you ask, I was born and raised in Edmonton. I moved to Calgary with the family, and now play ball here. Hence the CalgaryBaller. But an Oilers fan through and through, suffering through both lame Oilers losses in the Battle of Alberta as a lone island of blue in "C" of red.

Last edited by CalgaryBaller : 11-05-2005 at 05:32 PM.
CalgaryBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:31 AM   #5
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Great read Blade. I like the story a lot and really don’t need al the game stats. Keep it going.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:43 AM   #6
Blade
College Prospect

Thanks for the support, guys! And you betcha, CalgaryBaller...Oilers are doing well...I just hope it keeps going...

Old 11-07-2005, 07:45 AM   #7
Blade
College Prospect

Outrage in the Raider Nation: Randy Moss Traded, Warren Sapp Released

Oakland, CA (Pre-Free Agency, 2006) – The news came out from the Oakland Raiders’ office and, to quote the comic book guy from the Simpsons, Raider fans were “on the Internet within minutes, registering their disgust throughout the world.” The news was unexpected and shocking: Randy Moss was traded away to the Houston Texans.

Raiders GM Barrett Blade sent Moss, along with their fourth round pick this year and their fifth round pick in 2007 for Houston’s third round pick this year, their first round pick in 2007, and their second round pick in 2008. The move is clearly seen as a cost cutting move, as the Raiders were only approximately $5 million under the salary cap, and the trade freed up $8 million.

The trade is shocking due to the ‘resurgence’ the team experienced last season, reaching the playoffs and winning their first round game. Moss played a large roll in that resurgence as he collected 1528 yards and 12 touchdowns on 85 receptions in 14 games. He was named to the 2005 All-Pro first team, as well as collecting Player of the Game three times. It was his first as a Raider.

Moss was obviously upset at being moved. “They made a mistake. A huge mistake. It is no secret that I am the main reason for our success last year. My numbers speak for themselves. It was the offence that carried the team, and it was my play that carried the offence. Oakland made a big mistake, and it will hurt them. Let’s see them win a championship, or even have a winning season, in the next few years without me. I am going to love it when I get back there to play them. They are going to regret moving me.”

In another somewhat surprising move, GM Blade also released former star DT Warren Sapp. The move allowed the Raiders to free up $4.5 million on the cap, though they will have to pay a $4 million penalty in 2007. In 16 games last season, Sapp collected nineteen tackles, fourteen assists, two sacks, three blocks, and seven hurries. Though his play has fallen off as late, Sapp was seen as a vocal leader in the dressing room, and had his fair share of fans.

When questioned about the moves, Blade was candid. “They are what they are. When we came in and took over the team, John Mackey and I were forced to deal with the moves and mistakes made by the previous ownership. We have found ourselves in a difficult cap situation, and we needed to make some room. It was tough to trade away Randy, who is arguably the best receiver in the game today, but we saw no other choice. He commanded a huge salary, and had some overhead that we were not wanting to deal with. As for Warren, well, that was a move we had to make. His salary was incredible, and he is simply not a starter on this team. He has had a great career, but it is on the downswing and his stats have shown that.”

Blade was asked to clarify what ‘overhead’ meant when talking about Moss. “It is pretty obvious. Randy is a ‘me-first’ type of person. He showed that in Minnesota when he left the one game early while they were losing. He has a history of being a selfish player, and that is not what we want here. He may be one of the best players in the league, but you do not need stars at every position to win a Super Bowl. This is a team game, and by having a team who is in it together, you can overcome a lot. We have seen that time and time again in the NFL. That is the beauty of this game. And we were really hurt as a team when Randy’s performance fell off at the end of the year. That is when we need all of our players contributing. We wish Randy and Warren well, but we need to move on.”

The trade has instantly given the Houston Texans the top two receivers in the league, as Moss finished second in receiving yards last season to Andre Johnson. Oakland, meanwhile, is left with receiver Jerry Porter to try and fill the void the trade has left. And so, Raiders’ fans continue to voice their objections to the move, and hope that the impending free agency period will do more to make the Raiders a team better able to bring home a Super Bowl championship.

Old 11-07-2005, 11:43 AM   #8
StanGunner
Mascot

great story
StanGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:05 PM   #9
Blade
College Prospect

Oakland Signs Lower Tier Players, Lose Team’s Top Safety

Oakland, CA (Free Agency Period, 2006) – Going into free agency, the Oakland Raiders had seventeen unrestricted free agents, including starting Strong Safety Derrick Gibson. With the draft weekend only a few days away, the Raiders have resigned one free agent, and brought in three new free agents, and Gibson is not one of them.

Gibson has been a solid player for the Raiders since 2001, and was expected to resign with the team during the off-season. As the free agency period started, Gibson did not receive an offer from the Raiders. “I was waiting for the word to come in from my agent. After a few days, I called him up and asked if he had seen anything from Oakland. He said that there was nothing, so I explored my options. It is disappointing, because I love the city and I love this team, but it is a business, and I guess I have to move on.”

Gibson did move on, as he followed former Oakland Defensive Coordinator Louie Sutter and signed with the New Orleans Saints. Gibson signed a four-year deal worth $11.64 million. The other Raider free agents who decided to move on were K Steve Christie (Atlanta – 1 year deal worth $830,000), CB Renaldo Hill (Denver – 3 year deal worth $2.93 million), DT Edward Jasper (Cincinnati – 2 year deal worth $1.61 million), and G Rich Seubert (Chicago – 2 year deal worth $1.18 million).

Raiders GM Barrett Blade said that it was an unfortunate part of NFL life. “Derrick is a great person, and we would have loved to bring him back, but we just could not afford to pay him what he was looking for. I know that he enjoyed playing under Louie, so I think he will have a good time in New Orleans, and I wish him the best. The other unrestricted free agents we had were not resigned for a variety of reasons. Some of them were brought in as a stop gap solution last season to deal with injuries or roster holes. Others are players who we feel are not right for the direction we are moving in. We also wish all of those players the best.”

While the Raiders did not resign those players, they did resign LB DeLawrence Grant to a two year contract, worth a reported $1.53 million. Grant started in fourteen games last season for the Raiders, collecting 39 tackles, 21 assists, and 1 sack. “We felt that we had to resign DeLawrence,” said Blade. “He had a decent year for us, but we feel that he will be able to contribute even more for us this season. He is a good team guy, and we are glad to have him back.”

The Raiders also signed three new free agents over the last few weeks. Coming to Oakland are RB Chris Brown (3 year deal worth $2.98 million), LB Andra Davis (3 year deal worth $3.33 million), and DT Jerry DeLoach (2 year deal worth $2.11 million). All three signings have raised questions from Raiders’ fans about whether the team is actually improving, as these players were far from the top free agents available at their respective positions.

Chris Brown played in all sixteen games for the Tennessee Titans last season, though he started only four. He ran for 546 yards and two touchdowns on 154 carries. Andra Davis played in twelve games for the Cleveland Browns last season and collected 69 tackles, 24 assists, and one sack. Jerry DeLoach, playing for the Houston Texans, played in only five games (starting in none of them), and collected only two tackles.

Despite the criticism, GM Blade was excited about the signings. “We are very happy to have these players coming to our organization. Chris is just a fantastic young man who is the perfect compliment to Lamont Jordan. While Lamont is a guy who can make some fantastic moves to break the big run, Chris is the guy who can take the ball for the tough yards and run over defenders. In fact, I went to talk with Lamont before pursuing Chris to let him know that he was our starter and Chris would just be the ‘change-of-pace’ back, and he was ecstatic. He really pushed to get Chris hear, and even called him while we were pursuing him.”

“Andra is a big acquisition for us. I have never seen a more punishing hitter when he lines a guy up, and that intimidation factor in the middle of our defence is going to be huge. He is also very good with pass defence. We are going to be able to do a lot with him, whether we send him on a blitz to hassle an opposing quarterback, or to drop back into coverage to take out that tight end, he is going to be important. With Danny Clark and Andra in the middle, we can do some cool things.”

“But it is Jerry DeLoach that we are most excited about. He had a rough time last year in Houston, as he was dealing with some injuries, and then got pushed down the depth chart and was never really given a chance to play. We feel he is the nose tackle we really want in the middle of our 3-4 defence. He is a little undersized at 6’2”, but he plays like someone 3 to 4 inches taller. He is incredible at stopping the run, something we were sorely missing last year, and he is solid in pass defence as well. We have a diamond in the rough here.”

The Raiders prepare now for this weekend’s draft, as they seek to fill a number of holes, most notably at wide receiver with the trade of Randy Moss, though they feel that their free agent acquisitions have solved some of their problems. Members of the Raider Nation are not optimistic about the moves, but Blade pleads for patience.

“The common thread with these players is their leadership qualities. They are good players who are going to make those around them even better. Just wait and see. We will be a strong team very soon, and we are excited about it. Soon, the fans will be too.”

As of the moment, the following Raider unrestricted free agents are still seeking a contract: TE Rickey Dudley, FB Omar Easy, LB Jay Foreman, DE Akbar Gbaja-Biamila, RB Leonard Henry, LB Grant Irons, S Damien Robinson, T Chad Slaughter, CB Bobby Taylor, WR Dedric Ward, and CB Eric Warfield.

Old 11-07-2005, 11:07 PM   #10
Blade
College Prospect

It had been a long period of time. I wasn’t even sure how much I had slept lately. However, none of it mattered, as I had a permanent smile on my face that went from ear to ear. Randy Moss was gone and Warren Sapp was gone. I was also able to pick up some free agents I liked for cheap. Life was damn good.

I was sitting back in my chair, feet up on the desk, taking a well deserved break, when John Mackey walked in. He similarly had a smile on his face, so I felt no need to take my feet off my desk. He grabbed a chair and sat down.

“So you finally did it. Moss and Sapp are out of here?”

“You betcha! I was hoping to be able to do it last year, but with the season Moss had, it was too much for Houston to pass up. That said, it is a risky trade.”

Mack nodded. “I was going to ask you about that. Why did you do it the way you did?”

“Well, there are a couple reasons. I know that the logical thing to do would be to grab their first round pick this year, since it is the first overall, but there is no one in this year’s draft that makes me want to use up that pick. Also, we are moving the team soon, I hope, so it will be good for the team’s new life to have a higher pick to rally around, from a PR perspective, I guess. Thirdly, we are kind of screwing the fans of Oakland over, since they would not get a first overall pick playing for them this year. The risk, of course, is that Houston now has two great receivers, and it stands to reason that it could improve the team, worsening our picks. I am hoping, though, that Moss and Johnson will fight for catches, and that will keep the team down.”

“Alright, Bear. It is a risk, but no matter the result, it is nice to get Moss out of here. Same with Sapp. That is going to hurt our cap again next year, but those were the two ‘A’ list guys to get rid of.”

“Yah, some short term pain for some long term enjoyment.”

Mack looked at an old newspaper on my desk. “I read the article in the Tribune about the free agent pick-ups. Did you try to get anyone else?”

I shook my head. “What’s the point. We don’t have the cap room right now for any high-end players, and I would like to get ourselves into a better financial situation for when we move. We are getting there, but give it some time, then we can go shopping.”

“Sounds good. Did Jordan actually push for Brown like you were quoted in the article?”

I laughed. “Surprisingly, yes. When I told him we were going after him, he was totally on board. Lamont is proving to be a decent team guy, and I think that we are going to have a good one-two punch now. Hopefully he can step up his performance with less pressure on him to be ‘the guy’. The other guys should fit in well, too. They are not stars, but I think they could become damn good contributors in the system we are trying to set up. Was tough to lose Derrick, but he wanted way too much for what he did last year.”

“So, what do you expect for this year, Bear?”

“I am not sure. I am hoping we have a good draft. I love draft time, as this is where we can really put our stamp on the team. But honestly, I can see us having a worse year this season than last. In my opinion, though, it will only help us with a stronger draft pick next year, when we are hopefully primed to announce that we will be moving.”

Mack laughed. “We should hear about that soon, too. The city council said that a decision regarding our proposal should be forthcoming. It should be a good day, Bear!”

“I can’t wait to hear it. I think that a lot of good times will be heading our way.”

Old 11-07-2005, 11:51 PM   #11
Blade
College Prospect

2006 NFL Draft

Last edited by Blade : 11-08-2005 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Better Graphics...
Old 11-08-2005, 12:06 PM   #12
StanGunner
Mascot

5'8" 215 lbs ??? Seems a reach.
StanGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:14 PM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

Drafting another RB in general is questionable in the 1st round when you've already got two serviceable ones on the roster.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:45 PM   #14
Blade
College Prospect

Heh, took a while, but finally some criticism!

Yah, I wasn't looking to draft an RB at all...but...there really wasn't a lot else at that spot. There were no really good players left by that pick, other than the RB I took, whose volatility I could trust. Plus, for myself, I love an RB in that mold (ability-wise, that is...size is a gamble), so I went for it despite having Jordan and Brown (who isn't that great in the rosters I have). Oh well, that is the fun of the game, right? If I screw up, it just adds to the story!

BTW, I will be doing a behind the scenes post soonish in regards to the draft, etc...

Thanks for the comments, though! I will take the criticism as a sign of interest!

Last edited by Blade : 11-08-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:05 PM   #15
jbmagic
Pro Starter

nice dynasty. great read so far.

do you do your own gameplans for offense and defense?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:03 PM   #16
Blade
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
nice dynasty. great read so far.

do you do your own gameplans for offense and defense?

Thanks!

I didn't in my first season, as I was hoping to lose more than I could win, and I was hoping defaults would help with that.

This season, I plan to do my own gameplans though...

Old 11-08-2005, 11:04 PM   #17
Blade
College Prospect

2006 NFL Draft

Old 11-08-2005, 11:04 PM   #18
Blade
College Prospect

2006 NFL Draft

Old 11-09-2005, 12:05 AM   #19
Izulde
Head Coach

So far out of your picks, I'm liking Grier the best, but we'll see how the rest of your draft pans out first.

I *love* the way you're presenting the picks. Great analysis and it's really pretty, too!

Old 11-09-2005, 08:27 AM   #20
Blade
College Prospect

Thanks Izulde! It is not as pretty as I would like, but it will do...

Old 11-09-2005, 08:28 AM   #21
Blade
College Prospect

2006 NFL Draft

Old 11-09-2005, 01:45 PM   #22
Emiliano
College Prospect

I just finished to read this... Very nice style, and nice reports (love the draft ones made with Madden). I'm following!
Old 11-09-2005, 02:03 PM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Very nice Blade!! Can't wait to see where this goes....
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:21 PM   #24
Chris Jones
n00b

This is by far the best dynasty I've followed. I'm a die hard Raiders fan so this kinda hurts. But man, you've done a great job with the story.

In all honesty if this was real world situation, you'd be in a world of hurt with some of the stunts your owner has pulled. Collins has thrown 2 interceptions this season and Raider Nation wants his head, I could just imagine what would happen with a Moss/Jordan no show would cause.
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:55 PM   #25
Blade
College Prospect

Thanks for the kind words!

I am hoping to get more updates out soon...won't be tonight though.

Old 11-11-2005, 03:18 PM   #26
Blade
College Prospect

2006 NFL Draft

Old 11-11-2005, 03:19 PM   #27
Blade
College Prospect

2006 NFL Draft

Old 11-11-2005, 03:19 PM   #28
Blade
College Prospect

2006 NFL Draft

Old 11-11-2005, 10:14 PM   #29
Blade
College Prospect

Fans, Critics Question Raiders Draft Strategy

Oakland, CA (Post-Draft, 2006) – The NFL draft is a time of new beginnings for young players and for teams alike. It can signal a time of hope, and a time of criticism. After the completion of the draft, the Oakland Raiders faced the latter.

The NFL Commissioner took the stand and made his announcement: “With their first pick of the NFL Draft, the Oakland Raiders select, from Syracuse, Running Back Erik Kuehler.” The announcement was promptly met with boos from the Raiders fans present at the event. Draft analysts were also confused about the pick.

“There is no question that Erik Kuehler is talented,” said Merv Kripper, analyst for the Big Sports Network (BSN) on their draft television special. “However, there are some question marks about the young man, with his size being the big one. With the type of game he plays, there are questions as to whether he is durable enough to be a big time runner in the NFL. Also, why did Oakland even draft him when they already have a top talent running back in Lamont Jordan and a good back-up with their recent signing of Chris Brown. This pick just seems like a waste to me.”

That sentiment has been echoed by a number of Raiders’ fans online and on the street. They are wondering why the Raiders did not draft out of need and select someone like CB Mitch Myers (6-1, 213), who was drafted by New England with the 27th pick, or DE Earl Fist (6-7, 278), who was drafted by Kansas City with the 31st pick. The arguments are further bolstered by the fact that Oakland selected CB Quinn Foley, out of Virginia Tech, with the sixth pick of the second round. Foley is only 5-6 and 178 pounds, which will make him a target by the opposition since he will be lining up against a taller receiver.

“Quinn Foley is another talented guy, but look at his size,” said Kripper. “Every situation he will be in will be against a receiver who is taller than him, sometimes by an entire foot. He is a great coverage guy, but all the opposing teams are going to have to do is throw up a jump ball. I just can’t see him becoming anything special in this league, other than a special teams guy.”

When questioned about the Raiders’ selections, GM Barrett Blade was quick to defend the picks. “We are very happy with our draft,” said Blade. “In all of our mock drafts done, we never imagined that Erik would have fallen to us. That is one of the reasons I went out and signed Chris Brown. But when he was still on the board during our pick, we had to take him. It was a question of who was the best player available at the time. We looked at the other positions, and there just wasn’t anyone else who was worth a first round pick at that spot. Erik’s talent demanded that we select him.”

“Sure, we looked at the other players available, and the ones we basically had to select from were Erik, Mitch Myers, Quinn Foley, and Earl Fist. Mitch Myers has talent, but from what we saw, he was too unpredictable. There is a good chance he will not be as good as is thought. We really liked Quinn at the cornerback position, and we felt he would still be there when our next pick came around. He obviously was. As for Earl Fist, he is a good all-around defensive end, but he is not great and he is also a bit unpredictable. If he was there in the second round, we might have selected him, but in the first? No way. Erik is small for a running back, but I think that he will be just fine in our organization. Quinn Foley will be alright, too. His size is a concern, but we felt that his athletic ability will more than make up for that.”

Blade was then questioned about what this means for Lamont Jordan and Chris Brown, especially with the drafting of fullback Alvin Grier, who should be able to make the tough yards when called upon, which was one of the reasons for the signing of Brown. “Lamont knows that he is the starter here,” said Blade. “How could he not be, with his performance last season. We expect Erik and Chris to just compliment him, but Lamont will be the starter and get the majority of the touches. As for Chris, that is a difficult situation. When I signed Chris, I was not expecting to be able to draft Erik, and Chris seemed to be a good fit. I still think he is going to be a good fit here, though it should make for an interesting training camp and preseason. But I expect Chris to get his share of touches as well.”

Chris Brown was optimistic, but guarded in his outlook on the situation. “Well, it is not what I expected,” said Brown over the phone when reached for comment. “I was expecting to be the main back-up to Lamont, and I was ready for that. Now, I am not sure what will happen, though I will be ready to play and give it all I have. I am hoping that it will be enough to prove I can be the main guy behind Lamont. We will have to wait and see, I guess.”

With the draft complete, the Raiders now look to fill their roster and prepare for training camp. “There are going to be questions,” said Blade, no stranger to criticism. “There are always questions, and there is always something for the fans to be upset about. That is why they are fans, they are passionate about their team. But we are very excited about the upcoming season, and I think that fans will be surprised by how these young players do. Football season is almost here again, and it is going to be a fun time for this club.”

Old 11-14-2005, 10:24 PM   #30
Blade
College Prospect

Rejected: Oakland Citizens Deny Proposal for New Football Stadium

Oakland, CA (Post-Draft, 2006) – The Stadium used by the Oakland Raiders has stood since 1966, and the team felt it was about time a new one was built. Raiders owner John Mackey presented the city with a proposal for a new stadium to be built in the downtown core, and the proposal was put to a referendum for the citizens of Oakland to vote on. The final tally: 202,102 (32.9%) for, 411,190 (67.0%) against.

John Mackey held a press conference after the results of the vote were made public, where he expressed his disappointment. “What is there to say,” said Mackey. “We put a lot into this proposal, because it was important to us and to our organization. The team has played in that stadium for over forty years. It was time for a new stadium to be built so that this team can move into the future. This stadium is one of the oldest in the league. History is important, but so is growth, and we feel that a new stadium is required for that growth to happen.”

Mackey was then questioned about why the proposal asked for the city to foot then entire $814,000,000 bill, with no contribution from the team. “This team brings a lot to the city. We bring in a lot of income, which we share with the city, and we also bring a lot of tourism from fans of other teams coming to the city to watch a game. We also provide a lot of jobs, from the administration staff, all the way to the concession staff. We do a lot for this city. We felt that it was time that the city contributed to this partnership, and not just reap the rewards for the team’s hard work.”

When asked about the possibility of moving the team, Mackey was blunt. “We do not want to move this team, but we need to look at our options. We feel that we have made an effort and reached out to Oakland to help this team remain strong now and in the future. Oakland has said no, and we need to sit back and digest the meaning of that. As I said, we do not want to move the team, but we need to look at the entire situation and see if we can make it work here. Right now, I do not know the answer to that.”

Oakland city Councilman Henry Collins gave his assessment of the situation. “Oakland loves the Raiders, they are a big part of our lives. That said, the people of Oakland gave their opinion of Mr. Mackey’s proposal. We are all aware of the benefits that the team provides for Oakland, but it is simply unfair and unrealistic to ask the taxpayers to foot a bill of $814,000,000 for a stadium. We want a partnership with Mr. Mackey, but that partnership is not going to be one where the people pay all of the costs. If he wants a proposal agreed upon, then he is going to have to act in a fair manner regarding the contributions on his side.”

Because a stadium proposal was put forth and rejected, Mackey and the Raiders organization are now able to entertain offers from other cities in regards to relocating. All that is certain is that the Raiders will be in Oakland this year, but the future of NFL football in Oakland is in jeopardy.

“We have a season to focus on, so that is what we are focused on,” said Mackey. “We are the Oakland Raiders right now, so that is all the organization needs to worry about. We want to win, and that is what we are dedicated to doing. Everything else will be determined in due time.”

Ominous words for a now worried Raider Nation.

Old 11-14-2005, 10:30 PM   #31
Blade
College Prospect

I walked into the pub and found John sitting in a booth in a corner. He already had an empty pitcher in front of him, and he was pouring a glass of beer from a new pitcher. He saw me and waved me over, quickly pouring another glass and setting it down in front of me as I sat. He raised his glass in the air, and waited for me to do the same.

“We are now truly free, Bear! The football team is ours to do with as we please!”

My smile was just as wide as his as I clinked his glass and took a long drink. When I was done, I set my glass down and sat back.

“Finally. All this planning, all the worrying, everything. It’s over, all thanks to this.”

Mackey pushed an envelope towards me. It was addressed to Mackey, and was obviously from the city council. I opened the envelope and pulled out the letter inside, printed on nice municipal government letterhead. The letter read:
Quote:

Stadium Vote:

Your proposal for new stadium construction was submitted to the voters of your county for a decision.

The issue failed. We hope that you do not view this as a referendum on the viability of football in Oakland, but we understand that you are now free to seek a new stadium elsewhere. Please try again next year, however. You may find the voters more amenable.

Here's the final vote tally:

Rejected: 411,190 - 67.0%
In Favor: 202,102 - 32.9%
I laughed as I pushed the letter back into the envelope.

“Please try again next year? Optimistic, aren’t they?”

Mackey laughed. “A little bit. So, now the real fun begins. I have to see who wants an NFL football team!”

“Any idea of the cities interested, Mack?”

Mackey shook his head. “No, I haven’t done any searching yet. Didn’t want to show our hand early. That will be my job this season, while you worry about the football team. Speaking of which, I read the article about our drafting, and I have to say I agree with some of the criticism. In fact, I was watching the draft and after the second pick I was going to call you up and ask you what you were doing, but I got pulled into a meeting. So, I am asking now. What were you doing?”

I sighed, having to justify myself again. “I did what I thought was best at the time. When our pick came around, the players we were interested in were off the board. Of the players who were left in the positions we needed, there were none who were sure-fire players worth a first round pick. The reports that Gino’s staff gave me said that Erik was a fantastic talent, despite his size. He has the skills that I love in a running back, so I had to take him. I know that we have Lamont, and that I signed Chris, but Chris is not a starting calibre running back and we only signed him to a $2.98 million contract, so we are not tied up for a whole lot. Chris should be a fine number three guy. Lamont is the starter, but Erik gives us some flexibility in our options in the future if Lamont wants too much.”

Mackey nodded, though he didn’t seem convinced.

“I think our only other question mark is Quinn, and at 5’6”, he is definitely a risk. But the guy has skill to burn, and I think that he will be able to make up for his size based on that. I stand by my picks, Mack, and I have faith in them.”

“Alright, Bear. You are the GM, so it is your ass on the line, so we will see where that puts us. This truly is our team now, so we want a winning team. We will be out of Oakland soon, and we will have to deal with a new fan base, and that will be a fan base that we will not want to piss off.”

“I know.”

Mackey took another gulp of his beer. “Good. So, what is next? We still are short in terms of filling out our roster, I see.”

“Yah, there are still some free agents out there that I am looking at. They wanted to much in the first go around, but their demands are sure to have dropped, so I need to see what positions we are short at, and what players are available. New England’s GM actually called me wanted to get our cornerback Fabian Washington from us. He offered their tight end Ben Watson and a fourth round pick. I told him no, obviously, since we are good at tight end with Courtney Anderson and our new draft pick, and we are short at cornerback so we need Washington right now.”

“Ok, sounds good. Well, we need to drink it up! This is a great day, my friend!”

I laughed and clinked glasses with Mackey again. We drank for the next few hours, and as I sat there drinking, it finally became clear to me that my job was truly beginning. My butt was on the line with every transaction, and that was something I had not faced before. It was a challenge I was happy to take, but I was worried it may tear me up in the end.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:42 AM   #32
Izulde
Head Coach

I think Grzecki was actually your best pick of the whole draft myself. Rackers will probably prove to be a steal as well, even though I hope he doesnt' because I fucking hate Yale.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:11 PM   #33
Blade
College Prospect

Raiders Fill Roster as Training Camp Preparations Get Underway

Oakland, CA (Pre-Training Camp) – A new football season looms for the NFL as teams prepare for their training camps, with the first set to open in just under a week. The Raiders are no exception as GM Barrett Blade firmed up the roster with a number of signings and releases.

The first order of business for Blade was to try and sign the drafted players to contracts before training camp started, which he was able to do. “It was very important that we get our rookies under contract and in camp on time,” said Blade. “They have a lot to learn, and every opportunity for them to work with our staff, and with the other players, is going to benefit them tremendously. Every moment of instructional time is crucial, and we are very happy that they will be here from the start.”

Three of the seven draft picks were signed to four year contracts, while the other four players were signed to three year contracts. The Raiders’ first round pick, RB Erik Kuehler, was the last to sign, collecting $8.81 million overall for four years, including a $3.88 million signing bonus. “I am just glad to be here,” said Kuehler. “I want to get out there and show the team what I can do, and learn all that I can. It is going to be a lot of fun to be able to talk to the coaches, to Mr. Jordan, and to Mr. Brown, and become a better player. This is going to be exciting.”

The other players to sign four year deals were FB Alvin Grier ($4.53 million) and DT Frankie Grzecki ($2.97 million). Signing three year deals were CB Quinn Foley ($3.6 million), WR Keith Distel ($1.91 million), K Herb Mallory ($1.37 million), and TE Deon Rackers ($1.34 million).

Blade was also hard at work to fill in other holes in the roster by signing a number of free agents. With the loss of starting SS Derrick Gibson, Blade signed S Tank Williams to a two year contract worth $1.43 million to compete for the starting job. Williams played in all sixteen games for the Tennessee Titans last season, though did not start any of them, and collected 33 tackles and 6 assists, with no interceptions. Critics feel that the team may be reaching by signing Williams with the hope of him becoming a starter.

“We feel that Tank is a good safety in this league, and can become a very strong player if given the opportunity,” said Raiders Head Coach Brent Marlin. “He will be given that chance here, and we feel that he will blossom. He is great in coverage, and can make receivers think twice about coming over the middle on him.”

Recognizing that there were a few more holes in the projected starting line-up, Blade went out and signed T Mike Williams (3 years, $4.24 million) and DE Ryan Denney (3 years, $3.72 million). Williams started in fifteen games for the Buffalo Bills last season and was accused of allowing more sacks than the team felt comfortable with (11 sacks allowed). Denney also played with the Bills last season, seeing action in 13 games in a limited role. He collected 11 tackles and 1.5 sacks during the season.

“We are very excited to have Mike and Ryan here,” said Blade. “These guys bring a lot of pure talent to the team. Mike was the fourth overall pick in 2002, and brings a ton of size to our line (6-6, 375 pounds). He was judged unfairly last season, based on how bad the Buffalo offensive line was. He is going to bring a lot to our line. As for Ryan, we feel that we have stolen a pure pass rusher. The guy is amazing in how explosive he is when hunting for the quarterback. We really feel that he is going to be something special.”

The Raiders made a somewhat surprising move with the signing of free agent QB Kyle Boller. Boller was the starting quarterback for the Baltimore Ravens last season, playing in 15 games, and earned player of the game awards five times. However, his quarterback rating of 71.8, and his 16 interceptions, prompted the Ravens to finally let him go. Boller signed a three year contract with the Raiders worth $5.26 million.

“When looking at our roster, we felt that a major weak point was at the quarterback position,” said Blade. “Kerry Collins is fantastic, but if he should go down, we do not have anyone who could fill in right away. Kyle brings that to our team. Oakland will be a good experience for him because he will be able to settle in without the pressure of having to lead the team. He will be able to grow without eyes constantly on him.”

The Raiders made three more signings to add depth to the roster, picking up former Broncos’ G Dwayne Carswell (2 years, $1.66 million), former Tampa Bay LB Marquis Cooper (2 years, $1.02 million), and former Lions’ LB Wali Rainer (1 year, $720,000). They also resigned S Damien Robinson to a one year contract worth $720,000. To make room for the new players, QB Marques Tuiasosopo, RB Zack Crockett, and WR Alvis Whitted were released.

Up next is training camp for the Raiders, and all eyes will be on the many new players in the silver and black.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:12 PM   #34
Blade
College Prospect

It was a good feeling that football was finally back. Sure, the off-season is when I really go to work, but there is just something about seeing the game back on the field that made me smile. And the fact that so many of the players I had recently signed were on that field brought me to the training camp facility every day the camp was held.

Things started off somewhat shaky as the new coaching staff met with the players and began to explain their schemes. The offence wasn’t too bad, with Aaron Ellis keeping his schemes relatively similar, but the defence didn’t fare as well. Brent Marlin decided to stay with the 3-4 scheme we utilized last season, but there were a lot of differences. And with all of the new players on defence, it made for some slow learning. The rookies had a tough time as well, though they had some good workouts when they reported prior to the veterans coming into camp.

As the camp went on, I saw a lot of good things. Erik Kuehler looked damn good, in my opinion. He definitely showed that he had the skills to play at this level, though the big question on everyone’s mind is whether his small frame can hold up to a lot of punishment. He meshed well with Lamont and Chris, which was very positive. As for Chris Brown, he definitely came into camp playing hard. He is pushing to be the backup to Jordan, and I was very worried about how he would take being third on the depth chart, if Erik had a good preseason. But preseason was still a ways off, so I put that thought aside for the moment.

One player who had a tough camp was Keith Distel. Spending a third round pick on him, I was hoping that he could show a bit more than he did, but he is learning, so I did my best to not rush to any judgements. Alvin Grier brought a smile to my face, though, as his camp gave me a good feeling that we had found our starting fullback for many years to come.

The media paid a lot of attention to Kyle Boller, who looked pretty good in camp. He threw a nice ball, though I heard he was having some problems learning the offence. I think that Andrew Walter was a little bit jilted, though, as he felt he had progressed well last year as our backup, but we were just not confident that if Kerry went down, that Andrew could move the offence and keep us in games right away.

Defensively, I really like the camp that Andra Davis had. He and Danny Clark in the middle looked pretty good, and I think we have significantly upgraded our defence. DeLoach and Denney looked good too, although Tank Williams struggled a bit out of the gate. I think he will get a lot better as the preseason gets underway, but his play did stir some nervousness in me.

Quinn Foley looked pretty good, though I think he will have to be brought along slowly before he becomes overly effective. I also realized that something may have to be done with our defensive tackle situation, as we have too many for a 3-4 system. With DeLoach looking like the starter, I have Ted Washington and Frankie Grzecki behind him, which is a bit of a log jam. I jotted down that I may have to address that situation before too long.

All in all, it was a good camp, although the fan turnout was low. Not that I cared much, Oakland would be a distant memory a number of years down the road. My only hope now was that we could field a good team, and show Oakland what they would be losing. John Mackey was nowhere to be seen, but he was probably scouting out possible cities for the team to move to. But that was for the future...

Football was back, and I was happy again. Bring on the preseason!

Old 11-17-2005, 12:10 AM   #35
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

My favourite dynasty on the board!

Your use of visuals inspired me with my EHM dynasty! Keep it up Blade!
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 07:53 AM   #36
Blade
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz
My favourite dynasty on the board!

Your use of visuals inspired me with my EHM dynasty! Keep it up Blade!

Thanks for the kind words! You have a great dynasty going and I will be reading it as well!

Old 11-19-2005, 11:11 PM   #37
Blade
College Prospect

Questions, Doubts Surround Raiders Heading Into Regular Season

Oakland, CA (Week 1, 2006) – The NFL regular season has finally arrived, and there are nothing but questions and doubts surrounding the Oakland Raiders. Last season, the team had what most considered a successful season by going 9-7 and making the playoffs, winning in the first round, and only losing in the AFC Divisional Championship by a last second field goal by the eventual Super Bowl Champion Indianapolis Colts. This year, the outlook does not seem as rosy.

The Raiders enjoyed success last year largely based on a high-powered, big-play offence led by Randy Moss, Lamont Jordan, and Kerry Collins. They were able to win their share of games despite a very poor defence. During the off-season, however, Raiders GM Barrett Blade traded Randy Moss to the Houston Texans for draft picks, taking away their most explosive offensive weapon, and did nothing to fill the gap left by Moss’ departure. Blade did make a number of minor moves to bring in new personnel, but none of the players brought in have established themselves as top performers at this stage of their careers.

As training camps finished and the preseason approached, Blade and the rest of the Raiders’ organization preached patience, saying that the players would step up and play well, despite the doubts. Now that the preseason is over and the regular season is upon us, it appears that none of those questions have been answered to anyone’s satisfaction. While it is commonly accepted that preseason performances can be misleading, the Raiders’ performance is troubling at best.

The Raiders went 1-3 in the preseason, losing to San Francisco, St. Louis, and Green Bay, while only defeating Chicago. Drawing conclusions from these games, it would appear that the Oakland defence has not improved, as opposing offences appeared to control the ball at will, mainly utilizing the run as the Raiders surrendered an average of 136.5 yards rushing a game. One of the key players brought in to help this defense was DE Ryan Denney, who went down in the first preseason game with a high ankle sprain, and is expected to be lost for another 6-8 weeks. As a stop gap solution, Blade signed former Panther DE Mike Rucker to a one year contract worth $900,000, but he is expected to fill in as a backup to Bobby Hamilton, the starting left DE last season.

While the Oakland offence was able to pick up a large amount of yards during the preseason, scoring was down considerably. Kerry Collins looked very bad as preseason started, throwing three interceptions in the first two games, though he seemed to look better by game four. Jerry Porter, expected to pick up for the departed Moss, looked strong as the top Raider receiver, but was soon lost to torn knee cartilage, and may not start a regular season game until week 3.

The Raiders’ running game is expected to be a strong point for the team, with the trio of Lamont Jordan, Erik Kuehler, and Chris Brown. All three seemed to be mainly inconsistent in the preseason, having a strong game one week, and a poor game the next. This is probably in large part to sharing duties almost evenly during the preseason, and the Raider coaches are hoping that their defined roles in the regular season will help all three. It does appear that the rookie Kuehler has secured the back-up role behind Jordan, with Brown being used sparingly.

“The preseason is just that, the preseason,” said Blade. “The coaches are using vanilla gameplans, the young players and the fringe players are getting a lot of playing time, and everyone is trying to find their groove after a long off-season. The wins and losses do not mean a whole lot. This team has to learn to play with each other, and they make good strides with that by the end of the preseason. There is no need for panic. Wait until the regular season is underway, then evaluate what is going on.”

With an important divisional match-up right off the bat with their game against the San Diego Chargers in week 1, the Raiders are hoping that they can ease the worried minds of the Raider Nation, and that their players can have another surprising, and improved, season.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:17 PM   #38
Blade
College Prospect

Poor Decisions, Turnovers Hurt Raiders in Season and Divisional Opener

San Diego (1-0) 24 - Oakland (0-1) 6

Oakland, CA (Week 1, 2006) – The Raiders’ season opener was a big game for a number of reasons which included the first regular season game for their new Head Coach, their new Defensive Coordinator, and a few new players. To top all of that off, it was a game against a divisional rival, the San Diego Chargers. As such, it was expected that the Raiders would come out with a fire…they did not.

The game started off with the Raiders 29 yards on four straight running plays, but unravelled in a hurry as QB Kerry Collins threw an interception to Chargers CB Sammy Davis. The Chargers took advantage of the turnover, putting together a six-play drive which ended on a 1-yard touchdown pass from QB A.J. Feeley to TE Antonio Gates. Once K Nate Kaeding kicked the point after, San Diego had all the points they would need to win the game.

San Diego did not need to generate a lot of offensive yardage to control the game, as they collected 320 yards, with 143 yards coming from the ground game. They were able to dominate the Raiders on the scoreboard by taking advantage of turnovers, with Collins throwing three interceptions and a RB Lamont Jordan fumble, and with penalty help, as the Raiders collected 8 penalties for 65 yards. Defensively, the Chargers were able to shut down Jordan and the running game, limiting him to only 48 yards on 18 carries, though rookie RB Erik Kuehler looked good with 29 yards on 4 carries.

RB LaDainian Tomlinson was able to grind the clock when needed, picking up 94 yards on 21 carries, though it was Feeley who was the real leader of the Chargers offence. After a mediocre year in Miami, Feeley signed with the Chargers in the off-season and proved to be strong at managing the game for San Diego. He was efficient as he went 14 for 18 with 193 yards and two touchdown passes. He also had time to throw the ball, though he was sacked twice by the Raiders.

“I felt good out there,” said Feeley, after the game. “I had a lot to adjust to in camp, but I think I showed a good grasp of our offence, and with the support that LT brings, it is easy to maintain control. And the line did a great job at giving me time to go through my progressions. We definitely had a good start here, and it is nice to get that first divisional win out of the way.”

Despite the poor showing by the Raiders, there were a few bright spots. Playing in a back-up role as the #3 receiver with Jerry Porter out, rookie WR Keith Distel had a good showing, collecting 103 yards on four catches, with a long of 36 yards, in the first regular season NFL game of his career. Also, newcomer Jerry DeLoach, who displaced Ted Washington as the starting nose tackle, had a decent game, collecting his first sack as an Oakland Raider. Rookie K Herb Mallory, expected to be inconsistent as he gains experience, was able to hit two field goals, including one from 52 yards, though he missed from 18 and 28 yards.

“We are going to have a lot of film to look at this week,” said Raiders Head Coach Brent Marlin. “Our execution on all sides of the ball was pretty poor. It is disappointing, but we will learn from our mistakes. There were some good things to build on, and we will focus on that this week. I like what we have in place here, and as we get used to playing together, and used to the schemes, the outcomes will get better. And with the veteran leadership we have on the team, I expect that it will be sooner rather than later.”

The Raiders will head out to San Francisco for their game next week against the 49ers, and hope to be back in the win column.

Box Score
Attendance: 55,600 (62,500).  

Weather: 69 degrees, rain.

1Q: 08:56 SDO - Antonio Gates 1 pass from A.J. Feeley.
1Q: 08:56 SDO - Nate Kaeding extra point.
1Q: 00:07 OAK - Herb Mallory 52 field goal.
2Q: 08:24 OAK - Herb Mallory 42 field goal.
2Q: 03:43 SDO - Eric Parker 42 pass from A.J. Feeley.
2Q: 03:43 SDO - Nate Kaeding extra point.
3Q: 09:52 SDO - Jonathan Wells 1 run.
3Q: 09:52 SDO - Nate Kaeding extra point.
3Q: 00:00 SDO - Nate Kaeding 27 field goal.

Game MVP: SDO 3 A.J. Feeley

San Diego 7 7 10 0 - 24
Oakland 3 3 0 0 - 6

Team Statistics SDO OAK

First Downs 18 18

Total Rushes 36 24
Rushing Yards 143 89
Yards Per Carry 3.9 3.7
Pass Attempts 18 42
Completions 14 20
Passing Yards 193 301
Yards Per Attempt 10.7 7.1
Sacked 2 2
Yards Lost 16 18
Interceptions 0 3
Fumbles/Lost 0/0 1/1

Total Plays 56 68
Total Yards 320 372
Yards Per Play 5.7 5.4

3rd Down Plays 4/11 6/13
Avg. YTG on 3rd 5.0 9.0
4th Down Plays 0/0 0/1

Penalties 6 8
Penalty Yards 35 65

Avg. Drive Start OWN 37 OWN 24
Time Of Possession 31:41 28:19

San Diego Individual Statistics

Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD
21 Tomlinson 21 94 4.4 11 0
25 Wells 11 36 3.2 9 1
3 Feeley 1 -1 -1.0 -1 0
44 Goings 1 1 1.0 1 0
34 Pinnock 1 10 10.0 10 0
43 Sproles 1 3 3.0 3 0

Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd
3 Feeley 18 14 193 10.7 42 2 0 2

Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD
89 Parker 5 96 19.2 30 42 1
85 Gates 4 39 9.7 8 27 1
88 Gardner 2 34 17.0 0 23 0
21 Tomlinson 2 9 4.5 10 5 0
84 Kennison 1 15 15.0 2 15 0

Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD
89 Parker 2 6 3.0 0

Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD
43 Sproles 2 55 27.5 0

Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20
5 Fitzgerald 4 153 38.2 47 1

Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att
10 Kaeding 1 3 27 3 3

Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD
59 Edwards 9 2 0.0 0 0 0
22 Davis 7 2 0.0 1 9 0
23 Jammer 6 1 0.0 1 29 0
95 Peterson 5 0 0.0 1 13 0
76 Williams 4 2 1.0 0 0 0
27 Jue 4 0 0.0 0 0 0
47 Mitchell 3 0 0.0 0 0 0
99 Olshansky 2 0 1.0 0 0 0
37 Allen 2 1 0.0 0 0 0
20 Manuel 2 1 0.0 0 0 0
91 Merriman 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
84 Kennison 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
54 Reese 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
81 Bennett 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
44 Goings 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
90 Wilson 0 3 0.0 0 0 0
79 Robertson 0 2 0.0 0 0 0
41 Fenimore 0 1 0.0 0 0 0

Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd
44 Goings 0 0 0 0 3 0
69 Peko 0 0 0 0 1 1
72 Naeole 0 0 0 0 2 1
95 Peterson 0 1 1 0 0 0
85 Gates 0 0 0 0 2 0
60 St. Clair 0 0 0 0 1 0
82 Euhus 0 0 0 0 1 0
62 Bourgeois 0 0 0 0 1 0
68 Alston 0 0 0 0 1 0

Oakland Individual Statistics

34 Jordan 18 48 2.6 14 0
22 Kuehler 4 29 7.2 15 0
44 Grier 2 12 6.0 7 0

5 Collins 41 20 301 7.3 36 0 3 2
16 Walter 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

34 Jordan 5 36 7.2 12 12 0
80 Distel 4 103 25.7 8 36 0
83 Anderson 3 33 11.0 3 16 0
10 Francis 3 53 17.6 4 24 0
81 Curry 2 30 15.0 5 18 0
85 Gabriel 1 24 24.0 1 24 0
22 Kuehler 1 11 11.0 0 11 0
89 Rackers 1 11 11.0 2 11 0

27 Washington 2 35 17.5 0
81 Curry 1 26 26.0 0

9 Lechler 2 103 51.5 58 1

2 Mallory 2 4 52 0 0

91 Burgess 6 0 0.0 0 0 0
98 Hamilton 5 2 1.0 0 0 0
56 Davis 5 4 0.0 0 0 0
55 Clark 5 3 0.0 0 0 0
59 Grant 4 4 0.0 0 0 0
30 Schweigert 4 1 0.0 0 0 0
35 Williams 3 1 0.0 0 0 0
27 Washington 3 1 0.0 0 0 0
25 Walker 3 0 0.0 0 0 0
95 DeLoach 2 3 1.0 0 0 0
45 Robinson 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
58 Rainer 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
10 Francis 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
44 Grier 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
24 Foley 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
21 Asomugha 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
54 Williams 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
57 Cooper 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
97 Grzecki 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
51 Brayton 1 0 0.0 0 0 0

76 Gallery 0 0 0 0 2 0
66 Walker 0 0 0 0 0 1
65 Sims 0 0 0 0 0 1
62 Treu 0 0 0 0 5 0
70 Badger 0 0 0 0 1 0
34 Jordan 1 0 0 0 0 0

Old 11-23-2005, 11:36 PM   #39
Blade
College Prospect

Raiders’ Defence Helps Collect Win Despite Lackluster Offensive Performance

Oakland (1-1) 17 - San Francisco (1-1) 16

San Francisco, CA (Week 2, 2006) – Last season, the Raiders’ offence carried the team to the majority of their nine regular season wins and one playoff win, while their defence seemed to be an obstacle that needed to be overcame. This week in San Francisco, it was the defence that saved the team and the offence that almost let it slip away.

From the first series of the game, the Oakland defence made their mark, as QB Tim Rattay threw an interception to CB Nnamdi Asomugha on the third play from scrimmage. The Raiders’ offence was ineffective, quickly going three and out, so their defence got in the act again. This time it was an interception by LB Sam Williams, who took the ball back 34 yards for a touchdown, and giving the Raiders an early lead.

“That was huge for us,” said LB Danny Clark. “We have been criticized so much over the last season, and it felt really good to be able to come out hard and help this team by putting up some points ourselves. It was tough at times last year, as we would be coming off the field after giving up points and then look our offensive guys in the eyes and apologize. It is just big for us to be able to make a contribution to help our offence out.”

The Oakland offence, which struggled for the majority of the first quarter, was able to get a big play to help the team out, as QB Kerry Collins found rookie WR Keith Distel for a 42-yard touchdown pass, Distel’s only catch of the game. Another rookie, K Herb Mallory, was able to get what proved to be the winning score with a 23-yard field goal in the second quarter, although he missed a 42-yard field goal in the third quarter.

San Francisco was able to make the game a close one with three field goals by K NAME Kirk, as well as a short four-play drive which ended with an 11-yard touchdown pass from Rattay to WR Rashaun Woods to bring the 49ers within one point. From that point on, the Raiders’ defence were able to keep the 49ers from gaining any field position, forcing a number of punts. The Oakland offence did not fare much better, though they were able to grind time off the clock during a few drives until time expired.

Questions are starting to be asked about Collins and his performance over the first two games of the year, as he went 16 for 37 with 201 yards and a touchdown, though he did not throw any interceptions. In his first game against San Diego, he threw three interceptions and no touchdowns. Raiders Head Coach Brent Marlin preached patience.

“We are not worried about it,” said Marlin, after the game. “He is still throwing for a lot of yards, and he showed last season that he is for real. He has had to adjust to life without Randy [Moss], and he has been missing Jerry Porter so far this season. Jerry should be back next week, so things will get better for Kerry. It has only been two games. It is not time to hit the panic button.”

The Oakland running game was adequate, as RB Lamont Jordan gathered 72 yards on 19 carries, and rookie RB Erik Kuehler looked strong on limited carries, picking up 20 yards on 4 touches. Jordan also contributed 49 yards receiving, while Kuehler had 17 yards receiving. Defensively, DE Derrick Burgess stood out as he collected 4 tackles and 2 sacks during the game, the only Raider to collect at least one sack on Rattay.

While the Raiders did walk away with the win, they were again plagued by discipline problems, as they committed 8 penalties for 70 yards during the game, giving San Francisco some added help. Penalties were a problem for Oakland all of last season, and does not seem to be getting better this year. “It is just a lack of focus at times during the game,” said Marlin. “It is something we work on during practice, but it does not seem to be getting better. We need to smarten up, and keep our heads during the game. It should be a problem that will disappear as the team continues to play together. If not, then some heads may need to be banged.”

The Raiders will be heading to Tennessee to take on the Titans next week, and are hoping that a possible return of Jerry Porter will help to spark the offence.

Box Score
Attendance: 59,800 (64,500).  

Weather: 63 degrees, fair.

1Q: 12:53 OAK - Sam Williams 34 interception return.
1Q: 12:53 OAK - Herb Mallory extra point.
1Q: 06:47 SFO - Maurice Kirk 24 field goal.
1Q: 00:26 OAK - Keith Distel 42 pass from Kerry Collins.
1Q: 00:26 OAK - Herb Mallory extra point.
2Q: 08:44 OAK - Herb Mallory 23 field goal.
2Q: 02:57 SFO - Maurice Kirk 22 field goal.
2Q: 00:23 SFO - Maurice Kirk 49 field goal.
3Q: 07:41 SFO - Rashaun Woods 11 pass from Tim Rattay.
3Q: 07:41 SFO - Maurice Kirk extra point.

Game MVP: OAK 5 Kerry Collins

Oakland 14 3 0 0 - 17
San Francisco 3 6 7 0 - 16

Team Statistics OAK SFO

First Downs 15 18

Total Rushes 27 24
Rushing Yards 95 98
Yards Per Carry 3.5 4.0
Pass Attempts 37 40
Completions 16 22
Passing Yards 201 219
Yards Per Attempt 5.4 5.4
Sacked 4 2
Yards Lost 25 17
Interceptions 0 2
Fumbles/Lost 0/0 1/1

Total Plays 68 66
Total Yards 271 300
Yards Per Play 3.9 4.5

3rd Down Plays 6/17 7/16
Avg. YTG on 3rd 9.8 7.2
4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0

Penalties 8 6
Penalty Yards 70 41

Avg. Drive Start OWN 25 OWN 27
Time Of Possession 31:07 28:53

34 Jordan 19 72 3.7 21 0
22 Kuehler 4 20 5.0 8 0
5 Collins 3 4 1.3 6 0
44 Grier 1 -1 -1.0 -1 0

5 Collins 37 16 201 5.4 42 1 0 4

34 Jordan 6 49 8.1 9 14 0
81 Curry 3 30 10.0 0 17 0
10 Francis 2 36 18.0 0 26 0
85 Gabriel 1 11 11.0 0 11 0
83 Anderson 1 9 9.0 1 9 0
22 Kuehler 1 17 17.0 0 17 0
44 Grier 1 7 7.0 7 7 0
80 Distel 1 42 42.0 4 42 1

34 Jordan 1 1 1.0 0

27 Washington 2 39 19.5 0

9 Lechler 9 387 43.0 63 1

2 Mallory 1 2 23 2 2

55 Clark 8 2 0.0 0 0 0
56 Davis 6 3 0.0 0 0 0
59 Grant 5 1 0.0 0 0 0
91 Burgess 4 0 2.0 0 0 0
27 Washington 4 0 0.0 0 0 0
54 Williams 3 1 0.0 1 34 1
95 DeLoach 3 2 0.0 0 0 0
35 Williams 3 2 0.0 0 0 0
30 Schweigert 3 2 0.0 0 0 0
21 Asomugha 2 1 0.0 1 0 0
24 Foley 2 1 0.0 0 0 0
25 Walker 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
51 Brayton 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
62 Treu 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
45 Robinson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
10 Francis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
44 Grier 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
98 Hamilton 0 1 0.0 0 0 0
71 Rucker 0 1 0.0 0 0 0
97 Grzecki 0 1 0.0 0 0 0

68 Williams 0 0 1 0 1 1
76 Gallery 0 0 0 0 3 0
62 Treu 0 0 0 0 1 1
70 Badger 0 0 0 0 1 2
44 Grier 0 1 0 0 0 0

San Francisco Individual Statistics

32 Barlow 14 70 5.0 14 0
21 Gore 7 18 2.5 9 0
40 Beasley 1 7 7.0 7 0
13 Rattay 1 3 3.0 3 0
37 Huntley 1 0 0.0 0 0

13 Rattay 40 22 219 5.4 31 1 2 2

40 Beasley 6 30 5.0 18 10 0
82 Johnson 5 84 16.8 13 31 0
88 Taylor 4 44 11.0 3 12 0
87 Woods 3 34 11.3 1 12 1
32 Barlow 2 6 3.0 4 3 0
80 Morton 1 12 12.0 1 12 0
21 Gore 1 9 9.0 4 9 0

83 Battle 2 20 10.0 0

80 Morton 2 38 19.0 0
26 Logan 1 24 24.0 0

4 Lee 7 330 47.1 56 2

12 Kirk 3 3 49 1 1

50 Smith 10 1 1.0 0 0 0
24 Rumph 8 2 0.0 0 0 0
90 Allen 5 1 0.0 0 0 0
94 Schobel 4 1 0.5 0 0 0
53 Ulbrich 4 1 0.0 0 0 0
45 Ingley 3 2 0.0 0 0 0
97 Young 2 1 1.5 0 0 0
33 Parrish 2 2 0.0 0 0 0
36 Spencer 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
28 Peters 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
98 Clemons 1 0 1.0 0 0 0
44 Wodarz 1 2 0.0 0 0 0
62 Newberry 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
83 Battle 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
87 Woods 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
30 Boone 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
70 Long 0 3 0.0 0 0 0

65 Smiley 0 0 0 0 1 1
62 Newberry 0 0 0 0 1 1
75 Jennings 0 0 0 0 2 0
66 VanBuren 0 0 0 0 2 0
40 Beasley 0 0 0 0 1 0
83 Battle 1 0 0 0 0 0

Old 11-26-2005, 12:29 PM   #40
Blade
College Prospect

Bad Mistakes Cost Raiders a Victory Against Tennessee

Oakland (1-2) 10 - Tennessee (3-0) 16

Tennessee, TN (Week 3, 2006) – In a game pitting an inconsistent Oakland Raiders against a good-looking Tennessee Titans, fans were unsure as to what kind of game would be played. What they watched was anything but well-executed football, though it made for a surprising and exciting finish.

The game started off very slowly as both teams were able to gather first downs, but would inevitably be forced to punt after each offensive series. There were five punts before Oakland was finally able to put the first points on the board, on a 25-yard field goal by K Herb Mallory, with 9:58 left in the second quarter. The game slowed down again as both teams traded more punts, though Tennessee K Rob Bironas missed a 46-yard field goal attempt as the second quarter wound down.

As the second half got underway, the Titans were able to string together a 14-play drive which enabled Bironas to tie the game on a 30-yard field goal. As the third quarter began to wind down, it was the Raiders’ turn to get some offence going as they worked a 10-play drive during which the Raiders mixed up their passing and running plays effectively for the first time all game. The Raiders took the lead on a 1 yard touchdown run by RB Lamont Jordan.

Fans groaned as the game again settled into a punt-fest, before the Titans started to threaten late in the game. After an 8-play drive spanning 62 yards, Bironas attempted to get the Titans close with a 22-yard field goal, but missed to the right. This left 3:03 on the clock. With the ball back and only a 7 point lead to work with, it was expected that the Raiders would start to grind time off the clock, but instead had a six play series, of which five were passes. Oakland was only able to knock 1:03 off the clock, giving the Titans the final two minutes to attempt to tie the game.

QB Steve McNair wasted no time going to the air, as he first hooked up with RB Anthony Thomas for an 18 yard pass, then found WR Tyrone Calico for a 15 yard pass. After two incompletions, McNair found Calico again, this time for a 39 yard pass and a touchdown. The Bironas extra point tied the game, and gave the Raiders the ball back with 27 seconds left in the game. QB Kerry Collins worked fast as well, finding WR Ronald Curry for a 24 yard pass, putting the Raiders on the Tennessee 45 yard line. Then the surprising happened, as none of the Raiders used a time out, of which they still had all three, and Collins threw another pass, this one a 4-yarder again to Curry. Time expired as they again failed to use a time out.

The game moved into overtime, where Tennessee won the coin toss and started out with the ball. The Raiders’ defence were up to the task early, as they forced the Titans to punt. However, as P Craig Hentrich punted the ball, the Raiders’ special teams took a horrible penalty, Roughing the Kicker. Tennessee got the ball back and continued their drive, this time working down field successfully. The final dagger was driven into the Raiders’ hearts as RB Travis Henry ran the ball in for the winning 7-yard touchdown, pushing the Raiders’ record to 1-2.

While the game saw some decent performances by the Raiders, as Collins went 20 for 34 with 232 yards, and Lamont Jordan had 94 yards on 23 carries with one touchdown, everyone was talking about the strange decisions to not run the ball late, to not use any of their time outs, and the devastating roughing the kicker penalty in overtime. Raiders Head Coach Brent Marlin did not have much in the way of excuses.

“This is what being a head coach is all about,” said Marlin, in a press conference after the game. “When you make a decision, it is either applauded if things go well, or criticized if things go wrong. Unfortunately, things went wrong in this case. We felt that Kerry could throw some short routes which would keep the Titans off-guard, and still allow us to run down the clock. Obviously, that did not work. As for the time outs, we felt that with the way momentum had shifted, it was more important to get to overtime without giving anything up. Kerry threw the passes in those situations because he saw them there, but out intention was to get to overtime at that point. The roughing the kicker penalty is a penalty that you never want to take, and in this case, it cost us the game. That is something we will have to talk to our special teams about, and it most definitely will be addressed. This is the type of game that you need to learn from quickly, then forget about. We have another road game next week to prepare for, so that is where our focus will now be.”

With the inconsistency the Raiders have shown so far this season, this game did nothing to help the questions surrounding the abilities of Coach Marlin to lead a team to a winning record. Raiders GM Barrett Blade did his best to defend his head coach. “Brent is a good coach, but this is a new team for him. There is a growing process that has to happen on both sides. The results of this game are unfortunately, but it is only the third week of the season. There are a lot of games to go, and we are confident that things will get better.”

The Raiders continue their extended road trip against the Cincinnati Bengals, and they will hope to erase the bad taste this game left, as soon as possible.

Box Score
Attendance: 66,500 (67,700).  

Weather: 91 degrees, fair.

2Q: 09:58 OAK - Herb Mallory 25 field goal.
3Q: 07:38 TEN - Rob Bironas 30 field goal.
3Q: 00:27 OAK - LaMont Jordan 1 run.
3Q: 00:27 OAK - Herb Mallory extra point.
4Q: 00:34 TEN - Tyrone Calico 39 pass from Steve McNair.
4Q: 00:34 TEN - Rob Bironas extra point.
OT: 11:25 TEN - Travis Henry 7 run.

Game MVP: TEN 9 Steve McNair

Oakland 0 3 7 0 0 - 10
Tennessee 0 0 3 7 6 - 16

Team Statistics OAK TEN

First Downs 17 17

Total Rushes 24 31
Rushing Yards 97 122
Yards Per Carry 4.0 3.9
Pass Attempts 34 36
Completions 20 23
Passing Yards 232 227
Yards Per Attempt 6.8 6.3
Sacked 4 2
Yards Lost 28 15
Interceptions 0 0
Fumbles/Lost 0/0 0/0

Total Plays 62 69
Total Yards 301 334
Yards Per Play 4.8 4.8

3rd Down Plays 5/15 7/17
Avg. YTG on 3rd 10.4 6.9
4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0

Penalties 8 6
Penalty Yards 60 45

Avg. Drive Start OWN 24 OWN 29
Time Of Possession 29:55 33:40

34 Jordan 23 94 4.0 27 1
22 Kuehler 1 3 3.0 3 0

5 Collins 34 20 232 6.8 34 0 0 4

84 Porter 5 48 9.6 19 17 0
81 Curry 5 57 11.4 11 24 0
85 Gabriel 3 51 17.0 4 17 0
34 Jordan 2 10 5.0 10 5 0
83 Anderson 2 7 3.5 11 4 0
80 Distel 2 37 18.5 3 34 0
89 Rackers 1 22 22.0 2 22 0

34 Jordan 1 -6 -6.0 0

25 Walker 1 26 26.0 0
84 Porter 1 16 16.0 0
27 Washington 1 24 24.0 0

9 Lechler 8 311 38.8 47 2

2 Mallory 1 1 25 1 1

55 Clark 7 1 0.0 0 0 0
21 Asomugha 7 1 0.0 0 0 0
91 Burgess 6 0 1.0 0 0 0
56 Davis 6 4 0.0 0 0 0
30 Schweigert 6 2 0.0 0 0 0
95 DeLoach 4 1 0.0 0 0 0
98 Hamilton 4 0 0.0 0 0 0
24 Foley 4 0 0.0 0 0 0
35 Williams 3 2 1.0 0 0 0
59 Grant 2 2 0.0 0 0 0
51 Brayton 2 1 0.0 0 0 0
27 Washington 2 1 0.0 0 0 0
25 Walker 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
45 Robinson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
58 Rainer 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
76 Gallery 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
57 Cooper 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
89 Rackers 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
71 Rucker 0 1 0.0 0 0 0
54 Williams 0 1 0.0 0 0 0

44 Grier 0 0 0 0 1 1
76 Gallery 0 0 0 0 2 1
68 Williams 0 0 0 0 0 1
67 Stone 0 0 0 0 1 1
70 Badger 0 0 0 0 2 0
62 Treu 0 0 0 0 2 0

Tennessee Individual Statistics

20 Henry 21 81 3.8 14 1
9 McNair 4 15 3.7 4 0
25 Thomas 4 21 5.2 9 0
44 Johnson 2 5 2.5 3 0

9 McNair 36 23 227 6.3 44 1 0 2

44 Johnson 9 37 4.1 25 8 0
87 Calico 4 70 17.5 2 39 1
84 Troupe 3 24 8.0 3 11 0
82 Roby 2 61 30.5 4 44 0
38 Douglas 2 6 3.0 0 3 0
89 Warrick 1 5 5.0 0 5 0
25 Thomas 1 18 18.0 0 18 0
81 Jones 1 6 6.0 6 6 0

89 Warrick 2 2 1.0 0

20 Henry 3 67 22.3 0

15 Hentrich 7 277 39.5 48 3

2 Bironas 1 3 30 1 1

53 Bulluck 10 1 0.0 0 0 0
31 Bashir 8 1 0.0 0 0 0
28 Thompson 6 2 0.0 0 0 0
47 Doesburg 6 0 0.0 0 0 0
92 Haynesworth 3 1 1.0 0 0 0
54 Stewart 2 3 1.0 0 0 0
93 Sullivan 2 3 1.0 0 0 0
94 Hohlt 2 2 1.0 0 0 0
32 Jones 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
51 Ellard 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
22 Fuller 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
23 Harris 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
52 McKinnon 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
75 Olson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
20 Henry 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
43 Nash 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
95 Peters 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
37 Baxley 1 0 0.0 0 0 0

61 Williams 0 0 0 0 2 1
69 Piller 0 0 0 0 0 1
58 Gammon 0 0 0 0 2 0
67 Fabini 0 0 0 0 2 0
75 Olson 0 0 0 0 1 0
84 Troupe 0 0 0 0 1 0
59 Weber 0 0 0 0 1 0

Old 11-30-2005, 11:28 PM   #41
Blade
College Prospect

Raiders Get Total Team Effort in Late Win Over Bengals

Oakland (2-2) 29 - Cincinnati (1-3) 19

Cincinnati, OH (Week 4, 2006) – Over the first three weeks of the season, the Oakland Raiders have not looked like a strong football team. Their offence has been inconsistent, their defence have not done enough in every game to help the team win, and their special teams have made some costly mistakes. New Head Coach Brent Marlin has fallen under a hail of criticism for his play calling and decision making during key moments this season. As such, it was important for the Raiders to play a strong game in their third straight road game, this one against the Cincinnati Bengals.

The Raiders were able to do just that, as they came out for the game flying. On the opening drive of the game, the Oakland offence was able score on a 5-yard touchdown pass from QB Kerry Collins to WR Ronald Curry. The drive spanned 10 plays, 70 yards, and used up 6:31 of the first quarter. “It was very important for us to come out with a good series,” said Collins. “After everything that happened last week against the Titans, we knew that we had to make a statement as soon as this game started. It says something about the team that we were able to do it.”

The Oakland defence came out to play as well, as they hounded QB Carson Palmer, and kept RB Rudi Johnson largely contained. The Cincinnati offence were unable to gain a lot of ground on the Raiders, and were held to two field goals in the first half, allowing the Raiders to take a 7-6 lead into the locker room at half time. While the Raiders’ offence did not put up any more points in the first half, they were able to control the clock and keep the Bengals’ defence on the field.

Cincinnati came to life as the second half got underway, as they were able to block a punt by P Shane Lechler, giving the Bengals possession of the ball on the Oakland 33-yard line. That seemed to spur the Bengals’ offence on, as Palmer completed four straight passes, setting up a 1-yard touchdown run by Rudi Johnson. Oakland worked to come back on the next series with a 9-play drive, but the last play was an interception thrown by Collins to CB Keiwan Ratliff.

The Raiders’ defence stepped up on the ensuing series, forcing the Bengals to punt. Collins wasted no time as soon as the ball was back in his hands, dropping back, and looking to pass. He was sacked by DE Justin Smith on the first play, but rebounded back with a 6-yard pass to TE Courtney Anderson, then went deep to WR Doug Gabriel, who took the pass 79 yards for the touchdown, and gave the Raiders the 14-13 lead.

As the fourth quarter got underway, the Bengals could feel time slipping away, and, bolstered by good field position after a Ratliff punt return, took the lead back on a 5-yard touchdown run by Rudi Johnson. The Bengals attempted the two point conversion but were unsuccessful, and had to settle for a 19-14 lead.

With 4:35 left in the game, Collins again went with a play he has been known for over the past few seasons, the long ball. This time, he found Curry for a 71 yard touchdown pass. The Raiders also decided to go for the two point conversion, and they were successful as Collins hit RB Lamont Jordan in the end-zone for the deuce. The Bengals, down by only three and will all of their time outs remaining, showed no panic as they went back to the running game to gain yards, but Rudi Johnson was stripped of the ball by SS Tank Williams and the ball was recovered by LB DeLawrence Grant and returned 38 yards for the touchdown.

With time now running out for the Bengals, they went to the air, but Palmer was intercepted by FS Stuart Schweigert, and on their last series, was intercepted by LB Sam Williams, to give the Raiders the victory. Unfortunately, the interception by Williams was run back 10 yards before he was tackled at the knee and went down in pain. It was discovered after the game that Williams had torn his ACL in his right knee, and that it would require surgery. At this time, doctors are saying that he will not be ready to play until late next season, or even the 2008 season, if he can return at all.

“It was a good game for us,” said Brent Marlin. “The entire team came to play, and it was great to see. But while we feel really good about the game, our locker room was pretty downcast after the game. The injury Sam suffered is definitely serious, and while it is still too early to say what the future holds, it looks like he is going to be out for a long time. He most definitely will not be back this season. All we can do is send out our prayers for him and hope that he can get back on the field next year.”

The Raiders had a number of strong performances during the game on both sides of the ball. Collins ended up going 20 for 29 with 324 yards, three touchdowns, and one interception. He was able to spread the ball around as WR Jerry Porter collected 89 yards, Gabriel had 91 yards and a touchdown, and Curry finished with 87 yards and two touchdowns. Lamont Jordan was solid, collecting 109 yards on 26 carries. T Robert Gallery and G Ron Stone were dominant on the offensive line, and DE Derrick Burgess had two sacks this game, his second two sack performance of the season.

The Raiders are now set to finally return to Oakland, where they will face the Baltimore Ravens next week. It is expected that DE Ryan Denney will return to the line-up after sustaining a high ankle sprain in the preseason. Also joining the team, due to the loss of Sam Williams, will be LB Keith Adams, signed to a one year contract worth a reported $590,000. Adams played for the Philadelphia Eagles last season, and was with the Arizona Cardinals for two games this season before being released.

Box Score
Attendance: 54,500 (65,600).  

Weather: 80 degrees, stormy.

1Q: 08:29 OAK - Ronald Curry 5 pass from Kerry Collins.
1Q: 08:29 OAK - Herb Mallory extra point.
2Q: 12:16 CIN - Shayne Graham 44 field goal.
2Q: 03:05 CIN - Shayne Graham 44 field goal.
3Q: 07:42 CIN - Rudi Johnson 1 run.
3Q: 07:42 CIN - Shayne Graham extra point.
4Q: 13:04 OAK - Doug Gabriel 79 pass from Kerry Collins.
4Q: 13:04 OAK - Herb Mallory extra point.
4Q: 05:10 CIN - Rudi Johnson 5 run.
4Q: 05:10 CIN - Rudi Johnson run for conversion failed.
4Q: 03:43 OAK - Ronald Curry 71 pass from Kerry Collins.
4Q: 03:43 OAK - Kerry Collins pass to LaMont Jordan for conversion
4Q: 02:35 OAK - DeLawrence Grant 38 fumble return.
4Q: 02:35 OAK - Herb Mallory extra point.

Oakland 7 0 0 22 - 29
Cincinnati 0 6 7 6 - 19

Team Statistics OAK CIN

First Downs 18 14

Total Rushes 29 23
Rushing Yards 111 67
Yards Per Carry 3.8 2.9
Pass Attempts 29 32
Completions 20 15
Passing Yards 324 193
Yards Per Attempt 11.1 6.0
Sacked 2 2
Yards Lost 10 10
Interceptions 1 2
Fumbles/Lost 2/1 1/1

Total Plays 60 57
Total Yards 425 250
Yards Per Play 7.0 4.3

3rd Down Plays 6/14 4/13
Avg. YTG on 3rd 8.3 7.4
4th Down Plays 0/0 1/1

Penalties 4 2
Penalty Yards 30 10

Avg. Drive Start OWN 27 OWN 33
Time Of Possession 32:04 27:56

34 Jordan 26 109 4.1 24 0
22 Kuehler 2 4 2.0 2 0
5 Collins 1 -2 -2.0 -2 0

5 Collins 29 20 324 11.1 79 3 1 2

84 Porter 7 89 12.7 7 16 0
83 Anderson 4 32 8.0 3 10 0
34 Jordan 3 18 6.0 6 8 0
81 Curry 3 87 29.0 50 71 2
85 Gabriel 2 91 45.5 72 79 1
44 Grier 1 7 7.0 0 7 0

34 Jordan 1 2 2.0 0

27 Washington 3 68 22.6 0
25 Walker 1 18 18.0 0
85 Gabriel 1 17 17.0 0

9 Lechler 6 212 35.3 50 1

2 Mallory 0 1 0 3 3

55 Clark 9 4 0.0 0 0 0
35 Williams 6 2 0.0 0 0 0
91 Burgess 3 0 2.0 0 0 0
25 Walker 3 1 0.0 0 0 0
45 Robinson 3 1 0.0 0 0 0
58 Rainer 3 0 0.0 0 0 0
95 DeLoach 3 0 0.0 0 0 0
56 Davis 2 1 0.0 0 0 0
21 Asomugha 2 1 0.0 0 0 0
51 Brayton 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
27 Washington 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
30 Schweigert 1 3 0.0 1 18 0
98 Hamilton 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
54 Williams 1 0 0.0 1 10 0
71 Rucker 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
84 Porter 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
59 Grant 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
76 Gallery 1 0 0.0 0 0 0

76 Gallery 0 0 0 0 4 0
68 Williams 0 0 0 0 0 1
62 Treu 0 0 0 0 1 1
67 Stone 0 0 0 0 3 0
59 Grant 0 0 1 1 0 0
84 Porter 1 0 0 0 0 0
34 Jordan 1 0 0 0 0 0
35 Williams 0 1 0 0 0 0
83 Anderson 0 0 1 0 0 0

Cincinnati Individual Statistics

32 Johnson 19 47 2.4 7 2
26 Perry 3 15 5.0 9 0
9 Palmer 1 5 5.0 5 0

9 Palmer 32 15 193 6.0 38 0 2 2

85 Johnson 6 107 17.8 13 38 0
82 Kelly 4 24 6.0 5 15 0
84 Bradford 2 41 20.5 5 25 0
88 Wade 2 19 9.5 1 10 0
32 Johnson 1 2 2.0 3 2 0

22 Herring 1 -3 -3.0 0
29 Ratliff 1 16 16.0 0

36 Rhodes 4 106 26.5 0

19 Larson 6 286 47.6 59 3

17 Graham 2 2 44 1 1

56 Simmons 7 1 0.0 0 0 0
90 Smith 6 0 2.0 0 0 0
24 O'Neal 6 0 0.0 0 0 0
54 Thurman 5 3 0.0 0 0 0
59 Johnson 5 2 0.0 0 0 0
97 Thornton 4 3 0.0 0 0 0
22 Herring 3 3 0.0 0 0 0
94 Edwards 3 2 0.0 0 0 0
45 Azumah 3 0 0.0 0 0 0
29 Ratliff 2 0 0.0 1 0 0
71 Jasper 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
21 Townsend 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
85 Johnson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
36 Rhodes 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
87 Washington 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
26 Perry 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
58 Miller 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
39 Earl 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
99 Pollack 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
75 Yamada 1 0 0.0 0 0 0

65 Steinbach 0 0 0 0 1 1
74 Braham 0 0 0 0 0 1
22 Herring 0 0 1 0 0 0
56 Simmons 0 1 0 0 0 0
24 O'Neal 0 1 0 0 0 0
32 Johnson 1 0 0 0 0 0
76 Jones 0 0 0 0 1 0
69 Ghiaciuc 0 0 0 0 1 0
64 Duffy 0 0 0 0 1 0
67 Angel 0 0 0 0 1 0

Old 11-30-2005, 11:32 PM   #42
Blade
College Prospect

It was the first time I had been in the Mackey-Soft Tower before. Because I was with the team for their three game road trip, I took a flight after the Cincinnati game to Los Angeles, where the Mackey-Soft Tower was located. After checking in with John Mackey’s receptionist, I sat in a plush chair and scanned through an old issue of Sports Illustrated as I waited to be called in to Mack’s office. The issue was a few months old, and was the NFL Season Preview edition. I had read it previously and saw that we were expected to finish last in the division, so I didn’t re-read any of the previews.

After a few minutes, Mack’s receptionist told me to head in. As I walked to the door of his office, Mack was shaking hands with someone. He looked oddly familiar, but I couldn’t place him at the time.

“Thanks for stopping by Jarred,” Mack was saying. “The numbers look good, so I will talk to you again next month.”

The man nodded. “You bet, John. I will see you later.”

He walked by me and nodded slightly. Mack waved me in.

“Hey, Bear. That was just my accountant, Jarred Klusky. Status report, and all of that.”

The name seemed familiar to me as well, but I just could not remember where I had heard it, or seen this man before. “Have I met him before? He seems familiar.”

“Uh, you might have. Anyway, it is not important. C’mon in.” Mack led me into his office. It was quite a large office, with some beautiful furniture. He had more than a few football knick-knacks, including his helmet from his college days at Michigan State University, and a game ball from one of our Raider games last season.

“Nice digs,” I said as I sat down in a chair at a small conference table he had in his office.

“Thanks. They are not bad, though I am not here often. So, 2 and 2 so far. Not a fantastic start, but not a horrible one either.”

I opened the portfolio I had brought with me and pulled out some sheets. “Yah, not what I was hoping for. We should be at least 3 and 1, but I don’t know what the Hell happened in that game against Tennessee. Marlin made some strange calls that I was questioning along with the media.”

“You were pretty high on the guy when you signed him in the off-season, Bear.”

“I know, and I still think he is the right guy for this team right now. If anything, I hope that he learned something. I can understand his reasoning for not running the ball late in that game, but with the way Collins has looked so far, and the talent we have at running back, it wasn’t the decision I would have made. That said, he has done some good things for this team, as our defence is in the top half of the league in every team category, which was one of the reasons I hired him and our new DC Mel Porter.”

Mack leaned back in his chair. “Yes, our defence has looked better. But our offence has not looked overly good.”

I nodded. “Yah, our running game has not been as effective as last year so far, but we haven’t been running the ball as much as we did last year. Jordan is sixth in the league in yardage, but we need to get him the ball more. I will talk to Marlin about that. Our passing yards are still good, as we are third in the league even without Moss, but Collins has been having issues. He is eighteenth in the league in quarterback rating with a 75.8, and that is a concern. That said, he has looked better over the last few games.”

“So the trading of Moss isn’t killing us all that much?”

I sighed. “I can’t say that exactly. That may be one of the reasons Collins has struggled this year. Also, it is receiving by committee right now. Curry is leading the team, but he is no where close to the league leaders. Also, our rookie Distel is second on the team in receiving yards, and he has less than 200. Nice to see him doing alright, but that is not saying much for the starting receivers. Still, I would not want Moss back.”

Mack laughed. “We are in agreement there.”

“Defensively, Burgess is playing well, as he is tied for the league lead in sacks with five. However, I guess him and Andra Davis don’t like each other, and have had to be separated in practice at times. It seems that Burgess can get on the nerves of a few players, and we may have to watch that. As far as I am concerned, it is the same as the Moss thing. I don’t care how well you play, if you are not a part of the team in the locker room, we don’t need you. I will keep my eye on him, and see if it gets any better.”

Mack rolled his eyes. “There are always problems, aren’t there.”

“I guess. Another issue we have is that our leading player in interceptions is Sam Williams, who we just lost for at least a year, maybe two, maybe forever. We don’t know yet, but he is gone for this year. I signed Keith Adams, who should be a decent fill-in, but Sam was a big playmaker for us so far, and he is not going to be easy to replace. Also, we have a couple of players who are upset with their lack of playing time right now. Ted Washington and Barry Sims have been complaining that they are not getting enough time to justify their abilities. Both guys are getting big salaries, and they are definitely not starting material on this team any longer. I would like to cut them both, but the cap hit would be too much for us right now. As far as I am concerned, they are good depth players, and we have the cap room to keep them on the team. They are going to hate us by the end of the year, but I will want them elsewhere anyway.”

Mack sat up. “What is that going to do to our locker room, with them complaining louder and louder as the season goes on?”

I shook my head. “I have no idea, and we will have to keep an eye on the situation, but I just cannot see a way to have them start without a drop off in talent.”

“Alright. Keep and eye on it and work with Marlin to make sure it doesn’t get out of hand. Thoughts on how things are looking now?”

“Well, regardless of what I said before the season started about getting a high draft pick and screwing Oakland over with a bad team, I want to win. This team is ours now, and in Oakland or not this year, I want to win. I feel we can win, we just need things to come together. We are still very inconsistent, though, and I am not sure if that is a product of all of the changes or not. If so, I am hoping that the three game road trip brought the team together. The next few games should be very telling for us.”

Mack stood. “Sounds good. I am starting to get a short list of cities for us to move to, and it will be a lot easier if we can present a winning team to the prospective city. Do whatever you need to do, Bear. I want to have a Super Bowl ring in the first few years in the new city, so we need to make sure the pieces are in place.”

“I understand, Mack. I will make sure it happens.” I shook his hand and walked out of his office. Despite what I said, I knew we were a long way from a Super Bowl championship, and I had a lot of work to do.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:33 PM   #43
Blade
College Prospect

Hey all,

Once again, I would like to ask for some feedback. I have been a little slower in my updates lately, and I am worried that my write-ups are becoming a little stale...

Can anyone still reading this dynasty let me know what they would like me to change, keep the same, etc?

Thanks all!

Old 12-01-2005, 01:27 AM   #44
Izulde
Head Coach

I'd say to stick with your format. It's still quite fresh and extremely enjoyable to read

Old 12-01-2005, 01:42 AM   #45
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

I love the format as is. But in the end, it comes down to what you're comfortable with...I know when you do a lot of creative stuff, it gets a bit labor intensive.

But when you're doing as great a job as you are, it's worth the effort.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:37 PM   #46
Blade
College Prospect

Raiders Dominate In Win Over Baltimore Ravens

Baltimore (2-3) 3 – Oakland (3-2) 34

Oakland, CA (Week 5, 2006) – Under fire for inconsistent play over the first quarter of the season, the Oakland Raiders were determined to come out and have a statement game against the Baltimore Ravens. The Raiders did that and more, beating the Ravens soundly for almost the entire length of the game.

Back in Oakland after a three game road trip in which the Raiders went 1 and 2, the Oakland offence came out a little flat on the first series, but their defence came out strong from the start, as Baltimore QB Anthony Wright was sacked on the first play of their first series by LB Tyler Brayton. The Ravens went three and out, and the Raiders took over from there. QB Kerry Collins, off to a slow start this season, led the offence on a drive spanning 73 yards, which was capped off by a 9-yard touchdown pass to WR Jerry Porter. The touchdown was the first of three straight drives ending in Raider touchdowns, and saw the Raiders score four touchdowns on six straight drives (a field goal and an interception were the ends of the other drives).

One of the highlights of the Oakland touchdowns was the second touchdown scored by the Raiders in the game. On the second play of their third offensive series, Collins dropped back and found the rookie RB Erik Kuehler for a 54 yard touchdown, his first of his young career. Kuehler would end up with 76 yards receiving for the game, though he only had 19 yards rushing on 7 carries. Another career first during the game was DT Frankie Grzecki collecting his first sack in the fourth quarter.

“This was a good game for all of us today,” said Raiders Head Coach Brent Marlin. “Everyone contributed. Kerry [Collins] had a good game, despite being under fire the last few weeks. The running game was good, and we got a lot of defensive pressure and turnovers. But the thing I enjoyed the most, and it has been exciting all year long, is the contributions that the first year players are making. We saw that today, as Erik [Kuehler] has shown himself to be a great receiver out of the backfield, Alvin [Grier] has been good in all aspects of the game, be it blocking, running, or receiving, and Frankie [Grzecki] got some good work in as well. Really, all our rookies have made good progress, and it is in games like this where it really shows.”

RB Lamont Jordan was in control all game long when running the ball, ending the day with 132 yards on only 25 carries. Jordan had an easy time of it due to the great blocking of his offensive line, particularly G Ron Stone, C Adam Treu, and T Robert Gallery. Defensively, the Raiders had the Ravens’ number all game long, as they collected three sacks and three interceptions. S Stuart Schweigert had a strong game, collecting six tackles, 2 assists, and one of the interceptions.

The Baltimore Ravens didn’t have much to feel good about after the game ended, although undrafted rookie QB Michael O’Leary came on for some game action when the game seemed out of reach and did not look too bad, though he did throw an interception. He was able to move the ball with more effectiveness than Wright showed during his time in the game.

Because the game seemed to be out of reach when O’Leary was brought in, fans wondered by Raiders backup QB Kyle Boller, the Baltimore Ravens starter last season, was not brought in for some work. “It would have been nice to get Kyle some time,” said Coach Marlin. “However, it was more important for Kerry to continue to play out there. He has been working at getting into a rhythm, and with the way he was playing, it was better for us to leave Kerry in the game and get some more time to work himself into that rhythm. We will try and get Kyle some time later, but for now, we want to make sure that Kerry is comfortable.”

The Raiders hope to continue the strong play that they showed against the former Cleveland Browns as they head into next week and take on the new Cleveland Browns, before facing division rival Kansas City in week 7.

Box Score
Attendance: 56,700 (62,500).  

Weather: 82 degrees, fair.

1Q: 08:15 OAK - Jerry Porter 9 pass from Kerry Collins.
1Q: 08:15 OAK - Herb Mallory extra point.
1Q: 05:50 OAK - Erik Kuehler 54 pass from Kerry Collins.
1Q: 05:50 OAK - Herb Mallory extra point.
1Q: 04:02 OAK - Ronald Curry 2 pass from Kerry Collins.
1Q: 04:02 OAK - Herb Mallory extra point.
2Q: 09:00 OAK - Herb Mallory 23 field goal.
2Q: 01:55 OAK - Alvin Grier 9 pass from Kerry Collins.
2Q: 01:55 OAK - Herb Mallory extra point.
2Q: 00:07 BAL - Matt Stover 28 field goal.
4Q: 01:55 OAK - Herb Mallory 38 field goal.

Baltimore 0 3 0 0 - 3
Oakland 21 10 0 3 - 34

Team Statistics BAL OAK

First Downs 14 19

Total Rushes 27 34
Rushing Yards 101 149
Yards Per Carry 3.7 4.3
Pass Attempts 31 22
Completions 12 19
Passing Yards 144 195
Yards Per Attempt 4.6 8.8
Sacked 3 1
Yards Lost 15 7
Interceptions 3 1
Fumbles/Lost 1/0 1/0

Total Plays 61 57
Total Yards 230 337
Yards Per Play 3.7 5.9

3rd Down Plays 5/15 5/11
Avg. YTG on 3rd 7.5 6.4
4th Down Plays 0/2 0/0

Penalties 6 4
Penalty Yards 40 35

Avg. Drive Start OWN 24 OWN 42
Time Of Possession 26:14 33:46

Baltimore Individual Statistics

26 Bennett 22 73 3.3 12 0
12 Wright 3 12 4.0 8 0
46 Peterson 1 5 5.0 5 0
16 O'Leary 1 11 11.0 11 0

12 Wright 20 7 81 4.0 19 0 2 1
16 O'Leary 11 5 63 5.7 17 0 1 2

85 Mason 5 60 12.0 9 17 0
26 Bennett 2 24 12.0 26 19 0
86 Heap 2 18 9.0 10 12 0
89 Clayton 2 30 15.0 2 15 0
33 Green 1 12 12.0 13 12 0

20 Reed 4 90 22.5 0

14 Blanding 6 241 40.1 44 3

3 Stover 1 2 28 0 0

52 Lewis 7 6 0.0 0 0 0
21 McAlister 7 0 0.0 0 0 0
70 Darby 4 2 0.5 0 0 0
37 Chavous 4 2 0.0 0 0 0
99 Polley 4 1 0.0 0 0 0
35 Schneider 4 0 0.0 0 0 0
98 Powell 3 1 0.5 0 0 0
93 Edwards 2 3 0.0 0 0 0
20 Reed 2 1 0.0 0 0 0
71 Atkins 2 1 0.0 0 0 0
54 Kyle 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
96 Thomas 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
82 Stallworth 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
91 Payne 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
22 Rolle 1 0 0.0 1 13 0
55 Suggs 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
31 Congdon 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
85 Mason 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
95 Palepoi 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
81 Dudley 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
88 Korinek 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
53 Newhart 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
45 Ingram 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
23 Kiel 0 1 0.0 0 0 0
51 Bailey 0 1 0.0 0 0 0

68 Middleton 0 0 0 0 2 2
75 Ogden 0 0 0 0 2 0
58 Mawae 0 0 0 0 0 1
62 Flynn 0 0 0 0 1 0
26 Bennett 0 0 1 0 0 0
86 Heap 0 0 0 0 1 0
74 Terry 0 0 0 0 1 0
35 Schneider 0 1 0 0 0 0
16 O'Leary 1 0 0 0 0 0

34 Jordan 25 132 5.2 13 0
22 Kuehler 7 19 2.7 5 0
5 Collins 1 -2 -2.0 -2 0
44 Grier 1 0 0.0 0 0

5 Collins 22 19 195 8.8 54 4 1 1

84 Porter 5 43 8.6 6 11 1
44 Grier 4 22 5.5 11 9 1
34 Jordan 3 14 4.6 8 8 0
22 Kuehler 3 76 25.3 38 54 1
81 Curry 2 27 13.5 5 25 1
85 Gabriel 1 8 8.0 0 8 0
83 Anderson 1 5 5.0 4 5 0

34 Jordan 2 35 17.5 0
85 Gabriel 1 2 2.0 0

9 Lechler 4 144 36.0 44 1

2 Mallory 2 2 38 4 4

30 Schweigert 6 2 0.0 1 30 0
56 Davis 5 5 0.0 0 0 0
55 Clark 5 2 0.0 0 0 0
57 Cooper 4 0 1.0 0 0 0
95 DeLoach 4 1 0.0 0 0 0
51 Brayton 3 2 1.0 0 0 0
25 Walker 3 2 0.0 0 0 0
45 Robinson 3 0 0.0 1 19 0
97 Grzecki 2 0 1.0 0 0 0
90 Denney 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
35 Williams 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
27 Washington 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
24 Foley 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
21 Asomugha 1 2 0.0 1 0 0
84 Porter 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
91 Burgess 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
80 Distel 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
53 Adams 0 3 0.0 0 0 0

62 Treu 0 0 0 0 3 0
70 Badger 0 0 0 0 1 1
67 Stone 0 0 0 0 5 0
76 Gallery 0 0 0 0 2 0
34 Jordan 1 0 0 0 0 0
83 Anderson 0 0 1 0 0 0
57 Cooper 0 1 0 0 0 0
44 Grier 0 0 0 0 1 0

Old 12-18-2005, 09:43 PM   #47
Blade
College Prospect

Another Solid Win For The Oakland Raiders in a Rain-Soaked Game

Oakland (4-2) 31 – Cleveland (2-3) 3

Cleveland, OH (Week 6, 2006) – The rain had started early in the day, and did not let up by the time the Cleveland Browns kicked off to the Oakland Raiders on a sloppy field. Fans were huddled under umbrellas and in raincoats as they watched their Browns lose a game dominated by the ground attack.

Due to the weather conditions, the Raiders came out playing a conservative game, led by the run, with QB Kerry Collins throwing short and efficient passes to lessen the effects the rain and wind would have on the ball. Oakland was able to do so effectively, putting together a 13-play drive that ended with a four yard touchdown pass from Collins to WR Ronald Curry. The rain continued to be a factor as RB Rueben Droughns fumbled the ensuing kick off return, and allowed it to be recovered by Raiders LB Wali Rainer on the Browns’ 14-yard line. Four plays later, RB Erik Kuehler ran the ball for a one yard touchdown, giving the Raiders the fourteen point lead in the first quarter.

Cleveland was never really able to get into the game after that, forced to stick to the ground game as well, though the Browns’ QBs Charlie Frye and Kelvin Horton threw three interceptions between them when they did go to the air. While K Mike Vanderjagt was able to get some points on the board for the Browns with a 43-yard field goal in the second quarter, the Browns made mental mistakes at the wrong times to prevent any more points. Specifically, they were lined up for a 45-yard field goal after a 9-play drive to start the second half, but took a delay of game penalty, pushing the field goal try to a 50-yarder, which Vanderjagt missed.

“It is mistakes like that which kill a team,” said Browns Head Coach Adam Allen. “Sure, it was only a 3-point field goal attempt, which after the outcome of the game doesn’t seem to matter, but at the time, just putting points up can help a team get some momentum, and who knows what could happen then. There is just no excuse for taking penalties like that one, which are caused by a lack of focus. If your head is not in the game, you shouldn’t be on the field, and I will address that with my players this week.”

While the Browns had a tough time against the Raiders, DE Orpheus Roye had a good game, collecting 10 tackles and 1.5 sacks, doing everything he could to give the Browns a chance. He also had 3 hurries on Collins, the only big pressure Collins faced all game. With the game involving mainly the run, Droughns led the Browns with 49 yards on 14 carries, though RB Lee Suggs played well with 38 yards on 6 carries. Conversely, the Raiders were led by RB Lamont Jordan, who had another strong game with 123 yards on 23 carries. The game was so run dominated due to the rain that the Raiders had more rushing yards than passing yards, while the Browns only had 9 more yards in the air than on the ground.

“This is the type of football I love to play,” said Jordan. “It is real smashmouth out there because of the field conditions. And the offensive line did a great job keeping guys out of the holes, so I could get three or four yards before having to face any defenders. I could play this way all year and be very happy to do so.”

Despite the score of the game, the Raiders still had problems taking penalties, as they were called for 72 yards of penalties on 9 calls. This is a problem they have had since last season, and does not seem to be getting better despite their record. “You never want to take a lot of penalties,” said T Robert Gallery. “It is just a gift to the other team. The coaches have talked about it a lot, but we are still having problems with it. I guess we just need to do our best to make the most of our opportunities, and hopefully the problem will go away.”

With the Raiders seemingly flying high, they get set to face their divisional rivals, the Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs look to be an easy target for Oakland, as they have struggled this year and bring a record of one win and four losses. Despite that, Raiders Head Coach Brent Marlin is preaching caution. “It is going to be very important for our players to focus this week. We are favoured going in to the game, and Kansas City looks like an easy target, but those are the games that can go south on you. If you think that you are going to have an easy time of it, you are going to get punched in the mouth when you least expect it. We are going to have to prepare for a tough match, as Oakland-Kansas City games often are. This one should be no different.”

Box Score
Attendance: 71,400 (72,300).  

Weather: 44 degrees, rain.

1Q: 08:05 OAK - Ronald Curry 4 pass from Kerry Collins.
1Q: 08:05 OAK - Herb Mallory extra point.
1Q: 06:01 OAK - Erik Kuehler 1 run.
1Q: 06:01 OAK - Herb Mallory extra point.
2Q: 09:03 OAK - Courtney Anderson 6 pass from Kerry Collins.
2Q: 09:03 OAK - Herb Mallory extra point.
2Q: 05:31 CLE - Mike Vanderjagt 43 field goal.
3Q: 05:12 OAK - Courtney Anderson 9 pass from Kerry Collins.
3Q: 05:12 OAK - Herb Mallory extra point.
4Q: 07:48 OAK - Herb Mallory 48 field goal.

Oakland 14 7 7 3 - 31
Cleveland 0 3 0 0 - 3

Team Statistics OAK CLE

First Downs 18 16

Total Rushes 37 24
Rushing Yards 139 132
Yards Per Carry 3.7 5.5
Pass Attempts 24 36
Completions 15 14
Passing Yards 132 141
Yards Per Attempt 5.5 3.9
Sacked 2 3
Yards Lost 7 19
Interceptions 0 3
Fumbles/Lost 0/0 2/1

Total Plays 63 63
Total Yards 264 254
Yards Per Play 4.1 4.0

3rd Down Plays 7/16 6/15
Avg. YTG on 3rd 9.5 9.1
4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0

Penalties 9 5
Penalty Yards 72 33

Avg. Drive Start OWN 46 OWN 18
Time Of Possession 33:00 27:00

34 Jordan 23 123 5.3 43 0
22 Kuehler 8 8 1.0 2 1
5 Collins 2 2 1.0 4 0
84 Porter 2 4 2.0 2 0
81 Curry 1 -4 -4.0 -4 0
44 Grier 1 6 6.0 6 0

5 Collins 24 15 132 5.5 15 3 0 2

84 Porter 4 44 11.0 9 15 0
34 Jordan 3 27 9.0 1 13 0
81 Curry 3 21 7.0 1 9 1
83 Anderson 3 18 6.0 5 9 2
44 Grier 2 22 11.0 23 14 0

34 Jordan 1 8 8.0 0

27 Washington 2 55 27.5 0

9 Lechler 6 241 40.1 51 5

2 Mallory 1 1 48 4 4

55 Clark 7 1 0.0 0 0 0
30 Schweigert 5 3 0.0 1 13 0
35 Williams 5 1 0.0 0 0 0
56 Davis 5 0 0.0 0 0 0
25 Walker 4 0 0.0 1 15 0
27 Washington 3 1 0.0 1 0 0
91 Burgess 2 1 1.0 0 0 0
95 DeLoach 2 0 1.0 0 0 0
90 Denney 2 2 0.0 0 0 0
21 Asomugha 2 1 0.0 0 0 0
97 Grzecki 2 1 0.0 0 0 0
98 Hamilton 1 0 1.0 0 0 0
53 Adams 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
57 Cooper 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
70 Badger 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
58 Rainer 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
76 Gallery 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
89 Rackers 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
80 Distel 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
24 Foley 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
51 Brayton 0 2 0.0 0 0 0
45 Robinson 0 1 0.0 0 0 0

76 Gallery 0 1 0 0 3 1
62 Treu 0 0 0 0 3 0
68 Williams 0 0 0 0 2 0
70 Badger 0 0 0 0 0 1
67 Stone 0 0 0 0 2 0
25 Walker 0 1 0 0 0 0
58 Rainer 0 0 1 0 0 0
83 Anderson 0 0 0 0 1 0

Cleveland Individual Statistics

34 Droughns 14 49 3.5 10 0
44 Suggs 6 38 6.3 11 0
9 Frye 2 21 10.5 18 0
42 Smith 1 14 14.0 14 0
17 Edwards 1 10 10.0 10 0

9 Frye 33 14 141 4.2 34 0 2 3
11 Horton 3 0 0 0.0 0 0 1 0

82 Miller 4 27 6.7 7 16 0
81 Curtis 4 42 10.5 5 16 0
34 Droughns 2 4 2.0 2 2 0
83 Ward 2 43 21.5 0 34 0
17 Edwards 2 25 12.5 0 14 0

83 Ward 2 2 1.0 0

87 Farris 3 63 21.0 0
34 Droughns 2 35 17.5 0

3 Frost 5 190 38.0 45 0

19 Vanderjagt 1 3 43 0 0

99 Roye 10 0 1.5 0 0 0
25 Crocker 6 3 0.0 0 0 0
57 Shepherd 5 6 0.0 0 0 0
96 Lang 4 1 0.0 0 0 0
91 Kelley 3 1 0.5 0 0 0
98 Browning 3 1 0.0 0 0 0
97 McKinley 3 1 0.0 0 0 0
46 Samuel 3 1 0.0 0 0 0
51 Thompson 2 3 0.0 0 0 0
33 McCutcheon 2 1 0.0 0 0 0
24 Baxter 2 1 0.0 0 0 0
29 Jones 2 1 0.0 0 0 0
58 Taylor 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
90 Jackson 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
20 Walls 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
72 Steussie 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
82 Miller 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
43 Edwards 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
81 Curtis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
83 Ward 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
31 Watkins 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
71 Myers 0 1 0.0 0 0 0

53 Drake 0 0 0 0 0 1
63 Mankins 0 0 0 0 0 1
72 Steussie 0 0 0 0 3 1
77 Rosenthal 0 0 0 0 3 0
83 Ward 1 0 1 0 0 0
34 Droughns 1 0 0 0 0 0
36 McIntyre 0 0 0 0 1 0
67 Aguirre 0 0 0 0 1 0

Old 01-12-2006, 12:15 AM   #48
Blade
College Prospect

Raiders Beat Struggling Chiefs Despite Last Minute Dramatics

Kansas City (1-5) 17 - Oakland (5-2) 20

Oakland, CA (Week 7, 2006) – The Raiders, on a roll as of late, were expected to have an easy time of one of their division rivals, the Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs, not playing well so far this season, were determined to give Oakland a run for their money in Oakland’s own stadium, and made the game come down to its final seconds before the Raiders were able to secure the win.

Turnovers marked the beginning of the game, as the Chiefs marched down to Oakland’s 11-yard line before QB Trent Green threw an interception to LB Tyler Brayton, ending the drive without any points. Kansas City continued to fight, however, as they came back with a 10-play, 72-yard drive on their next possession, ending with a strong 11-yard run by RB Priest Holmes for a touchdown. The Raiders’ offence looked flat for the first quarter, and the beginning of the second quarter, as QB Kerry Collins was unable to keep the chains moving, missing a number of key throws to his receivers.

Finally, in the second quarter, Collins got the Raiders on the board with a big pass to WR Ronald Curry for 58 yards and a touchdown, tying the game. Kansas City responded with a long drive that ground off almost seven minutes of game time, and regained the lead on a 34 yard field goal by K Rod Myers. Not wanting to be outdone, the Raiders also came back with a drive of their own to finish off the half, and went into the locker room with a tie game on a 34 yard field goal of their own, kicked by K Herb Mallory.

“We were in a bit of shock as the first half ended,” said Oakland RB Lamont Jordan. “Coach Marlin was not very happy with our performance in the first half and he let us have it. We were told all week to prepare for a tough game, because Kansas City was capable of giving us a tough time despite their record going in, but I am not sure how many of the guys bought into that. We were a little shell-shocked because it felt like we were just trying to keep pace with them, and that they were in control. It was important to come out for the second half and take control.”

The Raiders did just that, as they came out and put together a 15-play, 70-yard drive that ate 8:37 off the clock. Oakland brought the ball down to the Chief’s 3-yard line, but took a penalty that forced them to kick a 25-yard field goal to give the Raiders the lead. From there, the game settled into a grind in which both teams’ defences stepped up there play, forcing a number of punts, but also allowing more time to slip off the clock. With exactly two minutes left in the game, the Raiders padded their lead with a 12-yard touchdown pass from Collins to rookie WR Keith Distel.

“We thought it was over at that point,” said Collins. “We got back to the sidelines and started to congratulate each other on a win, and didn’t think much of it. It was a little too arrogant of us, because anything can happen in the NFL, and it almost did today.”

With time running out on the clock, Green led the Chiefs back down the field, looking to get a quick touchdown. After a big 35-yard pass to WR Justin Gage, Green found WR Ernest Wilford for that score, on an 8-yard touchdown pass, which left 0:37 left in the game. Kansas City promptly lined up for an onside kick, but Raiders TE Deon Rackers saved the day, corralling the ball and giving the Raiders possession and securing the win.

“I really hope that we learned something today,” said Raiders Head Coach Brent Marlin. “When you take another team lightly, they can come back and surprise you. It happened today, but the good thing for us is we get to learn the lesson, and still walk away with the win. I don’t care what a team’s record is coming into a game. On any given day, any team can beat any other team, if things go their way. We have to take that lesson to heart, and play every game like it is the Super Bowl.”

Both teams had issues in the discipline department, as both teams had eleven penalties each, with the Chiefs giving up 98 yards, and the Raiders giving up 80 yards. This has been an issue for both teams all season long, and seemed to be compounded by the rivalry that both teams share. But in a game that was highlighted by a number of battles in the trenches, it was one of the Raiders’ off-season acquisitions leading the way defensively, as LB Andra Davis seemed to be everywhere, collecting 13 tackles and 2 assists for the game. Chiefs’ S Sammy Knight was their defensive leader, with 7 tackles, 1 assist, and 1 interception.

Offensively, the game belonged to Kerry Collins, as he went 22 for 36 with 311 yards, 2 touchdowns, and 1 interception. Ronald Curry helped Collins out as he continued to show some big-play potential, collecting 104 yards receiving on 4 receptions. Lamont Jordan was also very valuable, with 114 total yards.

The Raiders now look ahead to next week, where they will be playing a tough Pittsburgh Steelers team, currently 4-2 this season.

Box Score
Attendance: 56,200 (62,500).  

Weather: 49 degrees, fair.

1Q: 03:04 KCY - Priest Holmes 11 run.
1Q: 03:04 KCY - Rod Myers extra point.
2Q: 08:36 OAK - Ronald Curry 58 pass from Kerry Collins.
2Q: 08:36 OAK - Herb Mallory extra point.
2Q: 01:45 KCY - Rod Myers 34 field goal.
2Q: 00:09 OAK - Herb Mallory 34 field goal.
3Q: 06:23 OAK - Herb Mallory 25 field goal.
4Q: 01:51 OAK - Keith Distel 12 pass from Kerry Collins.
4Q: 01:51 OAK - Herb Mallory extra point.
4Q: 00:32 KCY - Ernest Wilford 8 pass from Trent Green.
4Q: 00:32 KCY - Rod Myers extra point.

Kansas City 7 3 0 7 - 17
Oakland 0 10 3 7 - 20

Team Statistics KCY OAK

First Downs 17 20

Total Rushes 30 25
Rushing Yards 125 83
Yards Per Carry 4.1 3.3
Pass Attempts 34 36
Completions 18 22
Passing Yards 220 311
Yards Per Attempt 6.4 8.6
Sacked 1 0
Yards Lost 6 0
Interceptions 1 1
Fumbles/Lost 1/0 1/0

Total Plays 65 61
Total Yards 339 394
Yards Per Play 5.2 6.4

3rd Down Plays 7/16 7/13
Avg. YTG on 3rd 9.3 6.4
4th Down Plays 1/1 0/0

Penalties 11 11
Penalty Yards 98 80

Avg. Drive Start OWN 27 OWN 29
Time Of Possession 32:01 27:59

Kansas City Individual Statistics

31 Holmes 23 87 3.7 14 1
10 Green 4 28 7.0 18 0
46 Glenn 3 10 3.3 7 0

10 Green 34 18 220 6.4 35 1 1 1

31 Holmes 5 41 8.2 7 13 0
82 Gage 5 74 14.8 7 35 0
87 Wilford 4 56 14.0 0 26 1
84 Boston 2 19 9.5 1 12 0
27 Finn 1 3 3.0 6 3 0
86 Morgan 1 27 27.0 0 27 0

20 Moore 1 13 13.0 0

20 Moore 4 93 23.2 0
45 Jansen 1 16 16.0 0

2 Colquitt 6 233 38.8 55 2

13 Myers 1 1 34 2 2

29 Knight 7 1 0.0 1 25 0
55 Morris 6 2 0.0 0 0 0
99 Bell 6 1 0.0 0 0 0
41 Burgess 6 0 0.0 0 0 0
79 Adams 4 0 0.0 0 0 0
25 Wesley 3 2 0.0 0 0 0
56 Johnson 3 2 0.0 0 0 0
45 Jansen 3 0 0.0 0 0 0
34 Brown 2 1 0.0 0 0 0
81 Lee 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
94 Siavii 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
82 Gage 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
76 McCray 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
74 Bailey 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
21 Woods 0 1 0.0 0 0 0
32 Adams 0 1 0.0 0 0 0
97 Fisk 0 1 0.0 0 0 0

64 Andruzzi 0 0 0 0 2 1
77 Roaf 0 0 0 0 2 0
27 Finn 0 0 0 0 2 0
99 Bell 0 1 0 0 0 0
20 Moore 1 0 0 0 0 0
76 McCray 0 0 1 0 0 0

34 Jordan 17 70 4.1 9 0
22 Kuehler 6 17 2.8 7 0
5 Collins 1 -1 -1.0 -1 0
29 Brown 1 -3 -3.0 -3 0

5 Collins 36 22 311 8.6 58 2 1 0

34 Jordan 6 44 7.3 6 11 0
84 Porter 4 69 17.2 13 23 0
81 Curry 4 104 26.0 42 58 1
85 Gabriel 2 47 23.5 0 34 0
80 Distel 2 17 8.5 5 12 1
29 Brown 1 3 3.0 1 3 0
22 Kuehler 1 4 4.0 1 4 0
44 Grier 1 12 12.0 0 12 0
89 Rackers 1 11 11.0 0 11 0

34 Jordan 1 7 7.0 0

85 Gabriel 1 18 18.0 0
27 Washington 1 22 22.0 0

9 Lechler 5 209 41.8 48 1

2 Mallory 2 2 34 2 2

56 Davis 13 2 0.0 0 0 0
30 Schweigert 6 2 0.0 0 0 0
35 Williams 6 1 0.0 0 0 0
95 DeLoach 4 1 1.0 0 0 0
55 Clark 4 2 0.0 0 0 0
91 Burgess 4 1 0.0 0 0 0
53 Adams 2 1 0.0 0 0 0
51 Brayton 2 0 0.0 1 18 0
45 Robinson 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
21 Asomugha 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
27 Washington 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
62 Treu 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
25 Walker 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
58 Rainer 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
84 Porter 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
81 Curry 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
90 Denney 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
57 Cooper 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
49 Foschi 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
24 Foley 0 1 0.0 0 0 0

67 Stone 0 0 0 0 3 0
76 Gallery 0 0 0 0 3 0
62 Treu 0 0 0 0 1 0
58 Rainer 0 1 0 0 0 0
34 Jordan 1 0 0 0 0 0
81 Curry 0 0 1 0 0 0

Old 01-12-2006, 12:15 AM   #49
Blade
College Prospect

Sorry all...got lazy over the Christmas holidays...I am hoping to get this going fully again!

Old 01-12-2006, 10:53 PM   #50
Blade
College Prospect

Oakland Defence Takes Advantage of Rookie Quarterback in Win over Steelers

Pittsburgh (4-3) 13 - Oakland (6-2) 27

Oakland, CA (Week 8, 2006) – Things had started off so well for the Pittsburgh Steelers. A 4-2 team coming into the game against the Raiders, the Steelers came out strong as their defence forced two punts by Oakland on their first two possessions of the game. On the Steelers second possession, QB Ben Roethlisberger took the ball from the Steelers’ own 3-yard line, and proceeded to pick the Oakland defence apart. However, as the first quarter wound down, the Steelers were dealt a terrible blow. Near the tail end of the drive, which would go for 93 yards and burn off seven and a half minutes from the clock, Roethlisberger collapsed as he completed a 12-yard pass to TE Heath Miller. Blitzing on the play were Raiders’ cornerbacks Denard Walker and Quinn Foley. Both hit Roethlisberger as he released the ball, forcing the Steelers’ starting quarterback out of the game with a strained calf muscle.

Due to the injury, the Steelers were forced to bring in their current back-up quarterback, Wade Bronson, signed as an undrafted rookie in the off-season. Bronson, getting his first action in the NFL of his career, was able to continue the drive, mainly with the help of the Steelers’ running game, to allow them to open the scoring with a 21-yard field goal by K Jeff Reed. The Raiders, seeing the potential of a momentum shift, rode the legs of RB Lamont Jordan, as the Raiders ran the ball on seven straight plays. Jordan collected 59 yards on the drive, setting up a 12-yard touchdown pass from QB Kerry Collins to RB Erik Kuehler.

With Oakland now leading, Raiders’ fans were ecstatic as the unproven rookie Bronson stepped back onto the field to try and take the game back for the Steelers. The Raiders’ defence, expecting Pittsburgh to rely mainly on the run, were shocked as Bronson led the Steelers down the field on a drive spanning 80 yards, with 8 completions by Bronson, including a 2-yard toss to RB Duce Staley for a touchdown and to regain the Steelers’ lead. The Raiders’ Special Teams stepped up on the ensuing kickoff, though, as CB Fabian Washington returned the kickoff 40 yards, giving the Raiders good field position, allowing a short drive on which the Raiders tied the game thanks to a 40-yard field goal by K Herb Mallory.

Pittsburgh came out for the second half with a lot of confidence due to Bronson’s first half performance, but things would only go downhill from there as Bronson’s inexperience began to show. On the second play of the second half, Bronson was hit by a blitzing LB Marquis Cooper, who collected the sack and forced the ball out of Bronson’s hands. Cooper also picked up the fumble and ran it to the Steelers’ 10-yard line. The Pittsburgh defence did all they could to stop the Raiders, forcing them to settle for a 20-yard field goal, but that allowed Oakland to once again regain the lead.

Bronson came back out for the Steelers and looked to get his confidence, and the team’s, back for good. He threw for four straight completions, totalling 45 yards, before disaster struck again. Raiders’ Defensive Coordinator Mel Porter, seeing that Bronson had too much time in the pocket, again sent a blitz. This time it was LB Tyler Brayton who found his way to the rookie quarterback, and again Bronson fumbled the ball as he was being sacked. DT Jerry DeLoach scooped the ball up and ran it to the Steelers’ 32-yard line for the Raiders’ offence to take over from. Six plays later, and Collins found the end-zone, throwing a 3-yard touchdown pass to rookie TE Deon Rackers.

The Steelers came out with a different philosophy on the next drive, as Steelers’ Head Coach Ricardo Mussatti relieved some pressure off Bronson by re-establishing the ground game, as the Steelers mixed up the run and the pass and put together a 12-play drive that ate 6:08 out of the third quarter, and shortened the lead with a 30-yard field goal. The Pittsburgh defence also stepped up there game as they were able to hold Oakland’s offence off on the next series, forcing a punt and keeping the Steelers in the game.

The Steelers’ momentum was short-lived, however, as Bronson promptly threw an interception to S Stuart Schweigert, which Schweigert returned to the Pittsburgh 15-yard line. This time it took the Raiders only four plays to pick up the touchdown, on a 2-yard pass from Collins to WR Jerry Porter. With two minutes left in the game, the Raiders’ sealed the victory as they forced Bronson to throw another interception, this one to S Damien Robinson, with LB Andra Davis and Quinn Foley blitzing.

“Bronson did a good job when he first came in,” said Raiders’ Defensive Coordinator Mel Porter. “We were not pressuring him a whole lot, so he was having time to make his reads and his arm is good enough when he can set up. We decided that we needed to get after him and see if he could make the quick decisions, and that was when he started to turn the ball over. We just overloaded him, sending a number of blitzers at once, from all over the field.”

Because of the turnovers, the Raiders did not need to generate a lot of offence, as evidenced by Kerry Collins’ final statistics for the game, going 14 for 22 with 107 yards, but throwing three touchdowns. RB Lamont Jordan was the workhorse for the Raiders, picking up 136 yards rushing, as well as 23 yards receiving. The Oakland Offensive Line had a fantastic night, as they did not give up a sack during the game, and were credited with thirteen ‘key run blocks’. Defensively, the entire Oakland unit contributed, as three different players collected sacks (including the two forced fumbles), and three more players collected interceptions.

The Raiders, now winners of five straight, head into a pivotal rematch against the San Diego Chargers, who are currently second in the division with a 5-2 record. The Chargers won their first match-up over the Raiders, 24-6. A win for the Chargers would give them the lead in the division, as well as the tie-breakers over the Raiders.

Box Score
Attendance: 56,700 (62,500).  

Weather: 76 degrees, fair.

2Q: 13:27 PIT - Jeff Reed 21 field goal.
2Q: 09:10 OAK - Erik Kuehler 12 pass from Kerry Collins.
2Q: 09:10 OAK - Herb Mallory extra point.
2Q: 02:21 PIT - Duce Staley 2 pass from Wade Bronson.
2Q: 02:21 PIT - Jeff Reed extra point.
2Q: 00:19 OAK - Herb Mallory 40 field goal.
3Q: 12:35 OAK - Herb Mallory 20 field goal.
3Q: 06:45 OAK - Deon Rackers 3 pass from Kerry Collins.
3Q: 06:45 OAK - Herb Mallory extra point.
3Q: 00:37 PIT - Jeff Reed 30 field goal.
4Q: 10:10 OAK - Jerry Porter 2 pass from Kerry Collins.
4Q: 10:10 OAK - Herb Mallory extra point.

Game MVP: OAK 34 LaMont Jordan

Pittsburgh 0 10 3 0 - 13
Oakland 0 10 10 7 - 27

Team Statistics PIT OAK

First Downs 19 20

Total Rushes 20 39
Rushing Yards 55 159
Yards Per Carry 2.7 4.0
Pass Attempts 42 22
Completions 27 14
Passing Yards 260 107
Yards Per Attempt 6.1 4.8
Sacked 3 0
Yards Lost 19 0
Interceptions 2 0
Fumbles/Lost 2/2 0/0

Total Plays 65 61
Total Yards 296 266
Yards Per Play 4.5 4.3

3rd Down Plays 5/12 6/13
Avg. YTG on 3rd 5.6 5.5
4th Down Plays 1/1 0/0

Penalties 5 6
Penalty Yards 47 38

Avg. Drive Start OWN 23 OWN 43
Time Of Possession 28:24 31:36

Pittsburgh Individual Statistics

22 Staley 13 40 3.0 7 0
25 Bettis 6 14 2.3 5 0
4 Bronson 1 1 1.0 1 0

4 Bronson 32 19 179 5.5 22 1 2 3
7 Roethlisberger 9 7 74 8.2 24 0 0 0
1 Margraff 1 1 7 7.0 7 0 0 0

22 Staley 7 63 9.0 16 24 1
83 Miller 7 84 12.0 21 22 0
82 Hakim 6 52 8.6 3 19 0
86 Ward 3 23 7.6 4 9 0
35 Kreider 3 23 7.6 15 13 0
25 Bettis 1 15 15.0 15 15 0

81 Hall 2 15 7.5 0

81 Hall 3 75 25.0 0
21 Colclough 1 21 21.0 0

1 Margraff 3 133 44.3 50 1

3 Reed 2 2 30 1 1

51 Farrior 12 1 0.0 0 0 0
73 Kampman 5 2 0.0 0 0 0
55 Porter 4 2 0.0 0 0 0
21 Colclough 4 1 0.0 0 0 0
75 Beam 4 1 0.0 0 0 0
98 Hampton 3 3 0.0 0 0 0
91 Smith 3 2 0.0 0 0 0
52 Nece 3 2 0.0 0 0 0
43 Polamalu 3 1 0.0 0 0 0
24 Taylor 3 1 0.0 0 0 0
23 Carter 2 3 0.0 0 0 0
81 Hall 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
29 Spahr 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
25 Bettis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
64 Hartings 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
66 Faneca 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
65 Spikes 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
35 Kreider 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
83 Miller 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
4 Bronson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
30 Doss 0 1 0.0 0 0 0
40 Hanson 0 1 0.0 0 0 0

4 Bronson 2 0 0 0 0 0
79 Essex 0 0 0 0 0 1
65 Spikes 0 0 0 0 2 1
66 Faneca 0 0 0 0 0 1
77 Smith 0 0 0 0 1 0

34 Jordan 30 136 4.5 23 0
22 Kuehler 4 9 2.2 4 0
5 Collins 3 0 0.0 2 0
81 Curry 1 7 7.0 7 0
44 Grier 1 7 7.0 7 0

5 Collins 22 14 107 4.8 16 3 0 0

22 Kuehler 4 40 10.0 14 13 1
34 Jordan 3 23 7.6 6 14 0
84 Porter 2 18 9.0 3 16 1
83 Anderson 2 15 7.5 6 8 0
85 Gabriel 1 5 5.0 4 5 0
44 Grier 1 3 3.0 0 3 0
89 Rackers 1 3 3.0 2 3 1

34 Jordan 3 10 3.3 0

85 Gabriel 1 23 23.0 0
27 Washington 1 40 40.0 0

9 Lechler 5 229 45.8 55 3

2 Mallory 2 2 40 3 3

55 Clark 8 3 0.0 0 0 0
30 Schweigert 6 2 0.0 1 8 0
53 Adams 6 1 0.0 0 0 0
95 DeLoach 5 2 0.0 0 0 0
35 Williams 4 0 0.0 0 0 0
27 Washington 4 0 0.0 0 0 0
51 Brayton 3 1 1.0 0 0 0
57 Cooper 3 0 1.0 0 0 0
21 Asomugha 3 2 0.0 0 0 0
24 Foley 3 1 0.0 0 0 0
56 Davis 2 2 0.0 0 0 0
85 Gabriel 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
90 Denney 1 0 1.0 0 0 0
45 Robinson 1 0 0.0 1 21 0
91 Burgess 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
70 Badger 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
25 Walker 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
44 Grier 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
59 Grant 0 1 0.0 0 0 0

67 Stone 0 0 0 0 5 0
76 Gallery 0 0 0 0 4 0
62 Treu 0 0 0 0 2 0
57 Cooper 0 1 1 0 0 0
70 Badger 0 0 0 0 1 0
95 DeLoach 0 0 1 0 0 0
68 Williams 0 0 0 0 1 0
51 Brayton 0 1 0 0 0 0
83 Anderson 0 0 0 0 1 0
89 Rackers 0 0 0 0 1 0