Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #101
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
SnDvls - I understand that people are going to have expectations for what powers people have based on the comics. I can assure you that I do not have everyone with powers that most-closely match the "first thought comes to mind" with people.

For example, what if people had requested Professor X, Jean Grey, Cable, Psylocke, Rachel Summers, and Shadow Master? Would I really be putting six seers in the game?

Similarly, I need to keep the powers somewhat balanced and in a format that will work for a game of werewolf.

So, the end result of this is that people will know your character and will probably make assumptions about your powers. In many, many cases, those assumptions would be off-base.

Do I get to at least be strong and angry?
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:02 PM   #102
hoopsguy
General Manager

Schmidty, I can't let the cat out of the bad quite yet But it would be pretty bizarre to make you wimpy and placid.

I'll go as far as to say that after creating 30+ characters before the game and since requests started going up that there are some that I think are very cool and others that I'm less enthusiastic about how they translate. But I don't think there is any that are inherently useless, and most of them offer multiple paths on how to carry out their day/night actions.

Tyrith and I have privately been rooting for one of the characters to get taken because we both like him so much But so far, no luck.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:19 PM   #103
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

What do you think about my character Hoops? I am not in love with it and can change if you want me to
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #104
hoopsguy
General Manager

LSG, honestly that is not one of the ones I have made up yet. There are about four left that I'm looking to complete between now and Friday morning.

I'm not trying to encourage anyone to switch characters at all with my comments. Just trying to give a little insight into the process since there was a question raised about how knowing powers would impact the game.

Plus, I'll probably re-use concepts from some of the guys I pre-generated that are not in the game. I don't think I'll let any clever ideas rot on my computer instead of finding some way to cram them into the game.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #105
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I really like the idea of a role playing game and am very hopeful that this game will have a strong role playing element. I'm also a major sucker for the Marvel Universe. Since, I just finished the project that I had to have done for work (which I thought I might be working on still next week) and am fairly sure that I'll have enough time to dedicate (although I will have somewhat limited availability on Monday night once I leave work, and from 8:00 to 4:30 PM Central Time on Tuesday and Weds due to limited computer access on those days at work) to be an active participant, I'll join this game. Sunfire might be very fun to roleplay, but he is something of a loner due to his arrogance. Therefore, I'll go with a more team oriented guy - Iceman.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:14 PM   #106
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Sunfire might be very fun to roleplay, but he is something of a loner due to his arrogance.

Oddly enough, in the comics, Sunfire is one of the new Horsemen -- Pestillance, along with Polaris and Gambit.
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #107
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I really like the idea of a role playing game and am very hopeful that this game will have a strong role playing element. I'm also a major sucker for the Marvel Universe. Since, I just finished the project that I had to have done for work (which I thought I might be working on still next week) and am fairly sure that I'll have enough time to dedicate (although I will have somewhat limited availability on Monday night once I leave work, and from 8:00 to 4:30 PM Central Time on Tuesday and Weds due to limited computer access on those days at work) to be an active participant, I'll join this game. Sunfire might be very fun to roleplay, but he is something of a loner due to his arrogance. Therefore, I'll go with a more team oriented guy - Iceman.

I don't think I've played a game with you since the one where we were brothers and you got night killed on night 1 which ended up getting me killed too

Glad to have you in again!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #108
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl View Post
What do you think about my character Hoops? I am not in love with it and can change if you want me to

To me, Storm is a very boring character; moreso because of Halle Berry and the neutering she gave the character in the X-Men movies. Shadowcat is a much more interesting character and has a great defensive power.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #109
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I will take suggestions from anybody.. I am not set on Storm. and Raiders Army is right about Halle Berry. although I did only see Xmen 1
Old 01-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #110
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
I will take suggestions from anybody.. I am not set on Storm. and Raiders Army is right about Halle Berry. although I did only see Xmen 1

My favorite female Marvel character has always been Psylocke. That's just me, though.

For what it's worth -- Marvel has it's own Wiki, with pictures of most of the major (and minor) characters in the Marvel universe. Here's the link for all the entries for women in the wiki:

http://www.marvel.com/universe/Category:Women

Last edited by WVUFAN : 01-10-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #111
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

If someone is Scarlet Witch can they retcon the entire game?

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #112
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post

-Anxiety

"No ... More ... WEREWOLVES!!"
Old 01-10-2007, 07:54 PM   #113
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:

-Anxiety

Not on my watch
Old 01-10-2007, 08:04 PM   #114
Anthony
Banned

i would be in this bad game but i don't know how Longshot's power would translate into a role playing game, and i don't have availability on the internet from 9-5:20pm M-F. otherwise if someone wanted to to clue me in on how Longshot could fit in this i would do it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #115
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I think somebody already got Longshot and most people can't get on during their work hours so that isn't a problem
Old 01-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #116
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
i would be in this bad game but i don't know how Longshot's power would translate into a role playing game, and i don't have availability on the internet from 9-5:20pm M-F. otherwise if someone wanted to to clue me in on how Longshot could fit in this i would do it.

Longshot's powers, like many of the characters in the comics, do not exactly translate from the comics to this format ... there are obviously some limits when moving from an environment (comics) with almost unlimited boundaries to an online game with a necessary amount of structure. Obviously there are some "lucky" elements associated with them ...

The evening deadline is likely going to be 9PM CST, so that should leave plenty of time for you to take in the action (assuming that we don't have 500+ posts per day) and react accordingly. The morning deadline will be 6AM CST.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:23 PM   #117
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I like it when games are on Central time. I don't know, having said that, what it means that I always put my games on Eastern time.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:50 PM   #118
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'll be an alternate. And I am very glad to see some new blood as well as a couple of guys who have played a couple of games.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:33 AM   #119
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I would like to take Gambit.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #120
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I don't think I've played a game with you since the one where we were brothers and you got night killed on night 1 which ended up getting me killed too

Glad to have you in again!

Yeah, that was unfortunate. Warpath is a very interesting character and I'll be interested in seeing how you play him. Should be fun
Old 01-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #121
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
Oddly enough, in the comics, Sunfire is one of the new Horsemen -- Pestillance, along with Polaris and Gambit.

I know. Didn't want anyone killing me early because of that association
Old 01-11-2007, 09:20 AM   #122
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post

Quote:
I know. Didn't want anyone killing me early because of that association

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I would like to take Gambit.

Hmmm ....
Old 01-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #123
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

I personally like Storm LSG, but she can be a bit bland on the personality side. Other fun female characters to play that come to mind are Shadowcat, Rogue, Emma Frost (if you want to be b*tchy and get away with it), She-Hulk, and Invisible Woman. Or you could go for the obscure and go with my fav Marvel character, Photon

Last edited by Thomkal : 01-11-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #124
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Or you could go for the obscure and go with my fav Marvel character, Photon

Captain Marvel right? Monica Rambaneu or something? Ugh. She was an interesting character that was mishandled. She was easily the most powerful Avenger, but the writers didn't take advantage of her powers.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:38 PM   #125
hoopsguy
General Manager

I seem to recall Anxiety being a fan of Captain Marvel as well.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:39 PM   #126
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I personally like Storm LSG, but she can be a bit bland on the personality side. Other fun female characters to play that come to mind are Shadowcat, Rogue, Emma Frost (if you want to be b*tchy and get away with it), She-Hulk, and Invisible Woman. Or you could go for the obscure and go with my fav Marvel character, Photon

Just don't try to take over my body if you are Emma Frost.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:23 PM   #127
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
...Emma Frost (if you want to be b*tchy and get away with it)...

Oh that sounds like fun, shouldn't be much of a stretch for LSG.

Here's my smilie so you know I'm joking, you know I luv ya
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:25 PM   #128
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I hate to be mercurial, but can I change my guy? I know you've probably rolled him already, but I think I'd rather be Deadpool. Although his powers wouldn't necessarily be as fun, I think it'd be more fun to roleplay. If not, no biggie.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #129
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Hey, also it might be a little more interesting if we all created new board names reflecting our character. Too bad I didn't come up with that sooner: we could've signed up, PMed our choice of character to hoops and Tyrith, gotten their approval, created our alter ego, and played from there. It would be interesting to see how we would act, not knowing who was who and playing entirely in character.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:32 PM   #130
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Hey, also it might be a little more interesting if we all created new board names reflecting our character. Too bad I didn't come up with that sooner: we could've signed up, PMed our choice of character to hoops and Tyrith, gotten their approval, created our alter ego, and played from there. It would be interesting to see how we would act, not knowing who was who and playing entirely in character.
That's actually an interesting mechanic I've thought about using in a similar way in the past. One thing that has prevented me from really doing it was the idea that it would be a pain the ass for those people who do more on this board than simply play WW.

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 01-11-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:44 PM   #131
Tyrith
College Starter

RA, I think that will be fine. 95% percent sure. If it isn't, I'll let you know later.
Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:46 PM   #132
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:03 PM   #133
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I seem to recall Anxiety being a fan of Captain Marvel as well.

Hell yes, great character, she was Roger Stern's baby and he was fired from the Avengers because he didn't want to write a certain plotline involved her and Mark Gruenwald did.

She was the leader of the Avengers and had been with them for virtually all of Stern's run, which was years and years. She was a competant leader, and Gruenwald wanted to write her in a plotline as a bad writer and that would force Captain America to come back to the team and force out Monica Rambeau and take over the team again.

Of course, Gruenwald was writing Captain America at the time as well as editing, so he had a vested interest in bringing back Cap. Sales of his book were flagging a bit and he thought bringing Cap back to the Avengers would pick up sales. Stern refused to and Gruenwald replaced him in the middle of a plotline.

Interesting story that.

How you remembered that is amazing!

-Anxiety

Old 01-11-2007, 08:22 PM   #134
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Oh that sounds like fun, shouldn't be much of a stretch for LSG.

Here's my smilie so you know I'm joking, you know I luv ya

Its okay DC, I was thinking the same thing
Old 01-11-2007, 08:24 PM   #135
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Oh so is captain marvel a woman? I have always dreamed of being a captain of something. Tyrith can I be Captain Marvel? please please please please please
Old 01-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #136
Tyrith
College Starter

Hoops said the name, so he's obviously heard of it, so yes.
Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:27 PM   #137
Raiders Army
Coordinator

What was goofy was that I think she took the moniker Captain from being a policewoman, IIRC. Not only that, but her costume was from a Mardi Gras something-or-other...later unstable molecules courtesy of Reed Richards. I believe her origin was Amazing Spider-Man Annual #16 or something. I remember I bought it and thought the best part was when Iron Man sucked out her power and shot it into the sky. I always wondered what happened to the blasts that came out of his gauntlets. I took a flashlight outside at night and pretended it was the same thing.

What a nerd.

*shrug*
Old 01-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #138
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What was goofy was that I think she took the moniker Captain from being a policewoman, IIRC. Not only that, but her costume was from a Mardi Gras something-or-other...later unstable molecules courtesy of Reed Richards. I believe her origin was Amazing Spider-Man Annual #16 or something. I remember I bought it and thought the best part was when Iron Man sucked out her power and shot it into the sky. I always wondered what happened to the blasts that came out of his gauntlets. I took a flashlight outside at night and pretended it was the same thing.

What a nerd.

*shrug*

Actually, the name came from the media which started calling her that in the press. She was in the Harbor Guard if I remember correctly. Later she'll actually be a ship captain and whatnot.

-Anxiety

Old 01-12-2007, 12:23 AM   #139
hoopsguy
General Manager

Updating the two character changes for Raiders and LSG. Both are fine. Will be putting some time in tomorrow morning on characters before heading out to Vegas.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:57 AM   #140
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Have fun at the pron convention!
Old 01-12-2007, 08:36 AM   #141
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

What I don't like about Marvel is that their name was ripped off of DC's Captain Marvel and then they trademarked the character even though it was already in use (which is why DC had to call their new Captain Marvel book Trials of Shazam). That's just shitty.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:45 AM   #142
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
What I don't like about Marvel is that their name was ripped off of DC's Captain Marvel and then they trademarked the character even though it was already in use (which is why DC had to call their new Captain Marvel book Trials of Shazam). That's just shitty.

Just ripping off the name isn't too bad. It's not like they were the same characters. Just off the top of my head, Deadpool was probably a worse ripoff of Deathblow (Wade Wilson vs. Slade Wilson). Squadron Sinister, later Supreme, was a ripoff of the JLA.

It's not like DC didn't ripoff Marvel either. Remember when Wolverine became Marvel's most popular character (about the time his miniseries came out). DC started making its characters grittier like Batman.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:53 AM   #143
Bonegavel

Quote:
Just ripping off the name isn't too bad. It's not like they were the same characters. Just off the top of my head, Deadpool was probably a worse ripoff of Deathblow (Wade Wilson vs. Slade Wilson). Squadron Sinister, later Supreme, was a ripoff of the JLA.

It's not like DC didn't ripoff Marvel either. Remember when Wolverine became Marvel's most popular character (about the time his miniseries came out). DC started making its characters grittier like Batman.

right, but DC didn't create a character called Wolverine or make a new comic studio called Wolverine.

DC can't use the title Captain Marvel because Marvel has the proper trademark and that to me is just shitty.

I know both studios have their issues and have swapped the "who can be dickier" title back and forth over the years, but I just think it was petty to do that with a character name. Sure, DC let the Captain Marvel name dwindle into obscurity, but it was still their name.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:58 AM   #144
Bonegavel

dola, actually it was Fawcette that screwed up on the Captain Marvel lapse and later DC grabbed the rights to him but couldn't use the name.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #145
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Oh so is captain marvel a woman? I have always dreamed of being a captain of something. Tyrith can I be Captain Marvel? please please please please please

wow didn't think you'd go for it LSG. I guess I can't vote for you on Day 1 now.

Yeah she's a very underused character since she left the Avengers, which is a shame given how powerful she is. Always hated that Captain Marvel moniker though, I'm not sure Photon is better though, lol. Was reading on the wiki about her and she might be changing her name to Pulsar because apparantly the "real" Captain Marvel or Marvel Boy is calling himself Photon now. I think Pulsar is an even worse choice for her.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #146
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

At least Photon is a beter name than Binary. At least Ithink that was Ms Marvels latest name. Carol Danvers has been through a lot of names as well.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:55 AM   #147
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

So I am Captain Marvel! Woohoo. Now somebody has to let me know what she does and how i can act like her
Old 01-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #148
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
At least Photon is a beter name than Binary. At least Ithink that was Ms Marvels latest name. Carol Danvers has been through a lot of names as well.

Nah, Warbird is more recent that Binary and now she's back to Ms Marvel.

-Anxiety

Old 01-12-2007, 12:20 PM   #149
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So I am Captain Marvel! Woohoo. Now somebody has to let me know what she does and how i can act like her

She basically has three powers each revolving around the same power:

She can turn her body into any form of energy on the electromagnetic spectrum. She can turn into light, electricity, x-rays, heat, gamma rays, etc. As a consequence of this, she can also fire bursts of what she has turned into and she can absorb what she has turned into.

Therefore, she can turn into light and then move at that speed, making her by default the fastest character in the Marvel universe, btw. She can turn into various rays and move through walls and whatnot. She can melt metal, like people's guns. She can turn herself into a hologram so that bullets and whatnot go right through her, then solidfy as she throws a punch, then immediately go back to a hologram and the opponent won;t even know - just think their bullets went through her and she still punched him without any obvious change in appearance.

So, that's her. She's pretty powerful, and when she is written correctly, her powers are very, very staggering.

-Anxiety

Old 01-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #150
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Quote:

So, that's her. She's pretty powerful, and when she is written correctly, her powers are very, very staggering.

-Anxiety

Hoopsguy, you heard the man. Make me powerful!