Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Rest In Peace - Furman Bisher (1918-2012)

Sportswriter Furman Bisher dies at 93 *| ajc.com

An Atlanta icon, one of the first writers I can actually recall reading, from a very early age. Still one of the best too, until he officially retired at the age of 90, and even then he contributed an occasional item or two each year, still banged out on the typewriter he used when he arrived at the Atlanta Journal in 1950. He covered the Masters, Kentucky Derby and the Georgia-Georgia Tech football game more than 50 times each. Just think about the things he saw and, as he frequently did, about the people he saw.

Anyone who enjoys words, but especially those who lament the bygone era when sportswriters wrote about what they saw rather than trying to be part of the story, should check out the gems in the link below.
Furman Bisher's best columns *| ajc.com

Rest in peace sir, we were lucky to have had you.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-19-2012 at 07:18 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

I read his columns in the Sporting News for many years. He and Joe Falls were the first two items I turned to.

One of the best, no doubt about it.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A writer friend of mine who knew Bisher just shared this on his FB

Quote:
Favorite Furman Bisher Story: he was the only sportswriter ever to spend two all-access days with Shoeless Joe Jackson later in life: a piece he did for The Sporting News. After his interviews (this was before the days of digital recorders), he took the "quote sheets" back to Joe for a signature. "He gazed at them with this puzzled look, and then said, 'I'll be right back,'" Furman told me. "He walked into the house and stayed about 15- maybe 20 minutes, came back out and they were signed. That's when I realized he couldn't read. It made the story even sadder." Thousands of stories like this. Furman Bisher: legend.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Sounds similar to the great Jim Murray, the longtime LA Times columnist who passed away a few years ago. He was another writer who exemplified the type of sportswriter we no longer seem to have, just like Bisher.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
digamma
Torchbearer

When I read the news late last night, I had a feeling you would post this. Thank you.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

There are tons of tribute columns out there today, including the full piece written by the friend I referred to earlier, who'd just had lunch with Furman last week. I share it here because, well, it's a friend paying respects to his friend.

Furman Bisher: Longtime Atlanta columnist dies at 93
Old 03-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Thanks for posting this. He wrote a collection of baseball stories that was one of the first baseball books I pored over religiously as a child. My memory of him will always be tied with my first stirrings of a lifelong interest in the game.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote