Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Ping: tarcone - Say a prayer for Iowa Football won't you?

sportstalkmatt Matt Perrault
by CFTalk
Jeez .... if the rumor mill is anywhere CLOSE to being true #Iowa is going to be front page news soon ... in a BAD, BAD way.

Apparently a lot of fallout is coming from the DJK arrest. Jewel Hampton is already gone and Adam Robinson may be next.

What is going on down there?

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
molson
General Manager

Front page news in southeast Iowa maybe.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Front page news in southeast Iowa maybe.

Apparently Ferentz drug tested the entire team and potentially as many as 30 kids failed.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

They should've followed tarcone's lead and smoked K2!
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
They should've followed tarcone's lead and smoked K2!

+1

How disappointing...I thought KF ran a pretty tight ship. They had a receiver named Dominique Douglas a few years ago that looked to be really good but KF cut him loose due to "issues" (can't remember if it was drug related, theft or what).

I don't know what to say other than this is the last vestige of any thought that sports can just be "fun."

I'll still watch because I'm addicted but this really, really pisses me off...
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
tarcone
Coordinator

Yeah, its not looking good. Hampton put he was a former hawkeye on his facebook and Robinson responded "LIVE IT UP!"

When one of your players is living in a drug house, you know things cant be too good.

Ferentz having a presser this afternoon.

I understand all the 4th quarter fades now. Ferentz really needs to clean house. Looks like a couple bad seasons coming.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
flounder
High School Varsity

I wonder how many other teams would have 30 players fail a drug test. I think a preliminary estimate would be all of them.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Vegas just took the Iowa/Mizzou game off of the board.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
tarcone
Coordinator

keenan Davis' facebook says "Message boards lie.....STOP READING THEM!"

On a positive note, the Insight Bowl is going to break its attendance record.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
On a positive note, the Insight Bowl is going to break its attendance record.

Because Iowa's team roster will be watching from the stands?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
tarcone
Coordinator

I just talked to my nephew who is a student at Iowa. He heard 11 players are gone, including McNutt, Prater, Binns, Hampton, Robinson and Berstein (back up safety).
But he said it was all speculation right now. As I was talking to him, he was going into class. He has the class with McNutt. He said McNutt was laughing and looked happy. So who knows.

Wow. Crazy times.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #12
tarcone
Coordinator

Called another nephew who is also a student at Iowa. He heard a couple football players asked some baseball players for their urine. LOL.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
tarcone
Coordinator

Hampton to transfer, Robinson to miss bowl | Hawk Central

Hampton to transfer. Robinson will be out of the Insight Bowl. Presser tomorrow morning at 10 am.

What a mess. Ferentz needs to get this situation inder control. And this guy makes $3.8 mil per year? Come on.

Last edited by tarcone : 12-13-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #14
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Man. I was really looking forward to our bowl game. I would much rather have a fair game than an easier chance at a win with a less than full strength team.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
I wonder how many other teams would have 30 players fail a drug test. I think a preliminary estimate would be all of them.

I might put the number more like 20 (out of +/- 100) but I agree with your general principle.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #16
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I think the drug laws in this country (especially those concerning pot) should be relaxed, but jeebus - how hard is it to lay off the weed during the season? Especially when you're trying to juggle practice, games and schoolwork?

I don't have a lot of sympathy for college players that get in trouble for smoking weed - just poor judgment.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm amused by the espn.com (or AP, didn't notice which) word choice here

Typically, a coach and a AD don't hold joint news conferences because of one player ...

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-13-2010 at 07:40 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #18
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Iowa fans should have started praying the moment they were matched up against Mizzou.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #19
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Iowa fans should have started praying the moment they were matched up against Mizzou.

The RBs dont bother me too much. Coker has run for 100+ yards in a game already. If this goes deeper, well, then I am real worried.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #20
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Mizzou wasn't going to win that game, imo, but now it definitely swings in their favor with all this craziness.

Last edited by mauchow : 12-13-2010 at 08:04 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #21
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Mizzou wasn't going to win that game, imo, but now it definitely swings in their favor with all this craziness.

Of course not because 7-5 in the Big 10 is a much greater accomplishment than 10-2 in the Big 12.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #22
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Of course not because 7-5 in the Big 10 is a much greater accomplishment than 10-2 in the Big 12.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post

Give me some of what you're smoking.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #24
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I think the drug laws in this country (especially those concerning pot) should be relaxed, but jeebus - how hard is it to lay off the weed during the season? Especially when you're trying to juggle practice, games and schoolwork?

I don't have a lot of sympathy for college players that get in trouble for smoking weed - just poor judgment.

I had pretty poor judgment when I was 19
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #25
tarcone
Coordinator

Mizzou hasnt faced a defense like Iowas. Oh wait, they fade in the 4th because of all the pot smoking. Stupid players. Weed is for after the game. Coke is what you want for the 4th quarter.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #26
bhlloy
Coordinator

If nothing else, I want to see a seven page debate between MBBF and Tarcone. I wonder if the board will still be standing afterwards...
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #27
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Mizzou hasnt faced a defense like Iowas. Oh wait, they fade in the 4th because of all the pot smoking. Stupid players. Weed is for after the game. Coke is what you want for the 4th quarter.

To be fair they both have played pretty similar opponents. I could say the same thing about Iowa not having faced a defense like Mizzou's. We both have played a top notch defense (both losses to Ohio State and Nebraska). You have always been cool and you live right down the street so I won't take the debate any farthur. But I will gladly continue with the poster who said Mizzou wasn't going to win this game. What exactly was this based on?
Old 12-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #28
tarcone
Coordinator

Yeah, Mizzou does have a good defense. Their dline has great potential.

Then again we may never see the real outcome when Iowa is playing a bunch of redshirt freshmen.

Why didnt Ferentz know any of this stuff was going on? His kid is a player. Some things you can hide, but drug use in a situation where there are 85 guys around has to be tough to hide from a fellow player.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #29
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Give me some of what you're smoking.

Go to DJKs apartment. He will hook you up.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #30
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
If nothing else, I want to see a seven page debate between MBBF and Tarcone. I wonder if the board will still be standing afterwards...

It'll be a short debate. Iowa is going to get their ass handed to them and at least now they have a convenient excuse as to why they lost.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #31
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
It'll be a short debate. Iowa is going to get their ass handed to them and at least now they have a convenient excuse as to why they lost.

Yeah, just like you handed Nebby their ass.

It would have been a good game and still has that potential. It depends on how deep this goes.
The good thing about Mizzou is that their WRs are average. And their RBs are average, as well. They may not be able to exploit Iowa and their 4th quarter weed withdrawal issues. Then again, Arizona did it and Mizzou is almost as good as Arizona.
Can Mizzou handle a Big10 rushing attack? Stanzi was getting Heisman love before the defense started to pull their disappearing acts. Dont fall asleep on our offense. It would be a mistake.
But now that we lost our stud WR and may be losing our #2 WR it may not matter.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #32
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
But now that we lost our stud WR and may be losing our #2 WR it may not matter.

And with a single sentence, the preparations for failure were laid.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:22 PM   #33
tarcone
Coordinator

Yeah. Just think how you will feel when Iowa wins with half their team suspended. That will be worse then losing to Texas Tech.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #34
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
. Then again, Arizona did it and Mizzou is almost as good as Arizona.

LOL. Another of the powerhouse 7-5 teams. Those silly BCS rankings have us at #12 and don't have Arizona or Iowa on there.

Last edited by panerd : 12-13-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:41 PM   #35
RainMaker
General Manager

I hope this goes 10 pages with you two arguing about who wins some shit tier consolation game.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #36
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I hope this goes 10 pages with you two arguing about who wins some shit tier consolation game.

Why are you reading then? That's right you are the guy who doesn't have a team to cheer for so you think college football is screwed up and take every chance you can to take a shit on it. Whereas me, MBBF, Mizzourah, Tarcone have fun debating what you consider a "meaningless" game. This is the essence of what college football is really about and from reading your posts on college football you will never understand this.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #37
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Why are you reading then? That's right you are the guy who doesn't have a team to cheer for so you think college football is screwed up and take every chance you can to take a shit on it. Whereas me, MBBF, Mizzourah, Tarcone have fun debating what you consider a "meaningless" game. This is the essence of what college football is really about and from reading your posts on college football you will never understand this.
Can you name the last 5 winners of the Insight Bowl? Of course not. So tell me again how meaningful this game is.

And it wasn't about college football, just think it would be funny for two huge fans to argue about this game. But I apologize for mocking the sanctity of games named after IT companies and fast food pizza delivery joints.

Last edited by RainMaker : 12-13-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:58 PM   #38
Logan
Head Coach

5 years ago Arizona State beat Rutgers in a really fun Insight Bowl.

That's all I got.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #39
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Can you name the last 5 winners of the Insight Bowl? Of course not. So tell me again how meaningful this game is.

And it wasn't about college football, just think it would be funny for two huge fans to argue about this game.

Well it became a big 12 bowl again a few years ago so I can tell you about the last couple of years. Iowa State (who was chosen over Mizzou) won last year and KU made it and won two years ago. Mizzou won it about ten years ago against West Virginia and Mark Bulger in a game that I went to and had a blast at.

All I am saying is this is what you don't get. There are fans on Tigerboard and Hawkeyenation that talk about this game every day. A bunch of fans from both teams will travel to Arizona. So while you are under the delusion that everyone is up in arms that Boise State or Ohio State has been left out of your playoff system real college football fans could give two shits and actually follow the "shit bowls" that you don't.

That same could be said for Sparty vs Bama or Wisconsin vs TCU or LSU vs A&M. Just because you don't follow college football and make the same tired agrument that casual college football fans make about a playoff system and the ills of the current system doesn't all of a sudden dimenish what it means to really be a fan of a team.

Last edited by panerd : 12-13-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #40
RainMaker
General Manager

I follow college football. I just don't get excited about consolation games in any sport. If any team I am a fan of played a game for 17th place, I probably would not be that excited about it. Maybe that means "I don't get it".

And I don't hate bowl games. I like the ones with tradition and meaning. Was always a big fan of the Rose, Orange and Cotton Bowls. Being in Big 10 country as a kid, winning the Big 10 and going to the Rose Bowl was always a big deal.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:54 AM   #41
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Auburn is love, Iowa is not?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #42
tarcone
Coordinator

No more suspensions. 10 were being tested. It was their turn. Pressed is about DJK, ARob, Hampton. Whew.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #43
Butter
Coordinator

So, is Johnson-Koulianos suspended for the bowl game? The ESPN article mentioned he had been arrested on drug charges, but didn't say he was suspended unless I missed it.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #44
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Go to DJKs apartment. He will hook you up.

LOL
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #45
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't get why bowl games need to be meaningful. I treat them just like regular season games - if the match-up is interesting enough to me, I'll watch it. Who cares what meaning it has? It's the end of December/beginning of January, it's freezing outside, the kids are playing with their new toys, and I want to watch some football. The end.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #46
tarcone
Coordinator

DJK has been removed from the team.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #47
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't get why bowl games need to be meaningful. I treat them just like regular season games - if the match-up is interesting enough to me, I'll watch it. Who cares what meaning it has? It's the end of December/beginning of January, it's freezing outside, the kids are playing with their new toys, and I want to watch some football. The end.

Anyone who loves football will watch any games that intrigue them and then fans of the two teams will watch them. I know others might argue, but here are the bowl games that interest me:

Boise St. - Utah
AF - GaTech (local team in Air Force)
OkState - Arizona (OKState is where I went to school)
Nebraska - Washington (to see how Locker does the second time around)
SCarolina - Florida St
Wisconsin - TCU
Stanford - VaTech
Ohio St - Arkansas
Oregan - Auburn

9 out of 35 games. And one of those would not interest me at all if the team weren't local.

But it gets better. 4 of those 9 games will involve teams who haven't played for nearly a month.

I've never got the thrill of bowl season and I never will. The bowl game between OKState and Arizona really has no importance at all for the program. The only thing important now is the decisions Blackmon and Wheaton make along with the O Coordinator who might get the PItt job. OKState lost last year to Ole Miss in the Cotton Bowl. It was the most forgettable game of the season. (and not just because OSU lost, the rusty teams combined for 12 turnovers in an ugly game)

It's football. . . but it could and should be so much better. I'm only going to cry for another 40 years about it and then I'll die. So you don't have much longer to listen to me bitch.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #48
Ksyrup

I don't disagree, but I think it's quantity over quality right now - and there's something to be said for having SOME sort of football to watch during the holidays and down time (this coming from someone who doesn't watch much basketball and hockey).

Whether a game means anything to the programs or the rankings or whatever, I personally don't care. If the match-up is good, or even if the teams are boring but the game turns out to be good, I'll watch it and enjoy it. But that's the way I watch sports - I'll flip on a PAC10 game at 11:30pm between Cal and Arizona St. and watch it just because it's on, not because I care about either of those teams or the PAC10. Pretty much all games are forgettable to me - by the next summer, I struggle to remember who played for the championship, much less the bowl games I enjoyed.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-14-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #49
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Quote:
I don't disagree, but I think it's quantity over quality right now - and there's something to be said for having SOME sort of football to watch during the holidays and down time (this coming from someone who doesn't watch much basketball and hockey).

Whether a game means anything to the programs or the rankings or whatever, I personally don't care. If the match-up is good, or even if the teams are boring but the game turns out to be good, I'll watch it and enjoy it. But that's the way I watch sports - I'll flip on a PAC10 game at 11:30pm between Cal and Arizona St. and watch it just because it's on, not because I care about either of those teams or the PAC10. Pretty much all games are forgettable to me - by the next summer, I struggle to remember who played for the championship, much less the bowl games I enjoyed.

This is pretty much exactly where I come out. I love bowl games. If the match-up is interesting, I will watch it, if not, I may just have it on in the background.

It could be better. I wouldn't be opposed to a 8 team or whatever team playoff system and some other non-playoff bowl games. I would be fine with that.

The fact that they don't have such a system isn't something that particularly upsets me.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #50
Ksyrup

The biggest issue for me is the layoff - a month between games is stupid. But that's also the most ingrained part of the college football bowl season, so you're never going to get away from that. Ever. So even if they had a playoff, I think it would still play out largely as it does now - the lesser, non-playoff bowls from mid-December into early January, but the playoffs would have to be intermingled in there as well - starting right around Christmas for the first round (assuming 8 teams), then the second round about January 1 (using, I suspect, the 4 BCS bowls) , then the championship around January 8-10 (played at 1 of the BCS bowl sites on a revolving basis). It would play out almost exactly the same as it does now, except 2 teams would play 3 games and 2 others would play 2 games. There is no way we'd get a playoff AND wipe out the New Years Day/BCS Bowl concepts. They would have to be married, and the result would look just like it does now.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-14-2010 at 12:55 PM.