Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2021, 10:11 PM   #7301
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera View Post
They Live 4/10 I actually read a good review about this 80s movie. Starred Rowdy Roddy Piper. Thought it would be a fun way to burn off 90 minutes before I went to bed last night. Boy was I wrong. I was not expecting a Stanley Kubrick masterpiece but my gosh this was bad.

One of my favorite all time movies. I also saw it when it originally came out in the theaters and loved it then too. It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea and the acting? Well...not the best either. I was too young to realize the blatant criticism of 1980s consumerism and the battle of the haves and have nots.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:35 AM   #7302
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
One of my favorite all time movies. I also saw it when it originally came out in the theaters and loved it then too. It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea and the acting? Well...not the best either. I was too young to realize the blatant criticism of 1980s consumerism and the battle of the haves and have nots.

Same. I love this movie. “I’m here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And I’m all out of bubblegum.” That line alone elevates this film above so many others.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:42 AM   #7303
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Same. I love this movie. “I’m here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And I’m all out of bubblegum.” That line alone elevates this film above so many others.

Absolutely! That line has gone on to be one of the most famous lines in my opinion. Duke Nukem sure does like it. I always hoped there would be a sequel where they go to the aliens home planet and then Roddy Piper, Roddy Pipers them.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:44 PM   #7304
Edward64
Head Coach

Wonder Woman 1984 - 6/10

What a disappointment. I guess it was okay as a stand alone movie but when compared with #1, it really stunk.

Poor storyline (not worthy of Gal Gadot), yucky outfits, some bad special effects (apex predator) and WTF is up with "up in the air" ... did that happen in the comics? The bonus ending was a nice touch though.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:46 AM   #7305
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Wonder Woman 1984 - 6/10

What a disappointment. I guess it was okay as a stand alone movie but when compared with #1, it really stunk.

Poor storyline (not worthy of Gal Gadot), yucky outfits, some bad special effects (apex predator) and WTF is up with "up in the air" ... did that happen in the comics? The bonus ending was a nice touch though.
I agree mostly, though I think it was more 3/10. What a disappointment that was compared to the first.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:31 AM   #7306
PilotMan
Head Coach

Two thoughts...

The first Wonder Woman wasn't all that, don't get upset about the 2nd one. It was ok. It was entertaining.

Second.

King Kong v. Godzilla 7/10

So I had very low expectations for this one. But, in the vein that the first Transformers movie was good. I did like the very comic book brought to life feel that it had. Not sure what the response was supposed to be but we all couldn't help but laugh watching Hong Kong get completely obliterated. There were plenty of moments to insert your own "MST3K" comments into it. So many meme worthy moments in there. I think it could have killed as a big summer release. I'd watch it again as the entertainment value was high. I think it's so much better than the last ones in the series.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:03 AM   #7307
pantera
n00b

The 12th Man 8/10

This was an excellent Netflix surprise. (Foreign film, you'll need subtitles) Based on a true story about a Norwegian guerilla fighter against the Nazis in WW2. A plan to destroy some German installations in Norway goes awry, only one of 12 survives. The man tries to escape to neutral Sweden while the Nazis are turning the Norwegian countryside upside down trying to find him. Lots of people hide and assist him.

Some of what you'll see him go through is mind-boggling. I doubted how true it was, so I read about his real story and it was about 85% true. Hero.

Last edited by pantera : 04-03-2021 at 10:16 AM.
pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:07 AM   #7308
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My wife and I have made it our goal to watch all the Oscar nominated films this year. We love the Oscars but rarely see any of the movies, kids make it almost impossible. We got tired of only knowing the animated ones, so we decided a couple nights a week we would banish the kids upstairs and take one in.

So far we have seen 3

The Trial of The Chicago Seven 9.5/10- Fantastic movie, really engaging. Cohen was incredible as was Mateen. Enough drama and comedy mixed together to strike the right cord. Something about Redmayne annoyed me a little bit but overall the cast was fantastic.

Promising young woman 8/10- Really enjoyed it. Somewhat predictable in parts but the lead was fantastic. Really enjoyed the ending. Have to suspend belief a little bit, but overall really enjoyed it.

The sound of metal 5.5/10- Was a little disappointed as I expected it to be a little more kick ass and instead it was over the top plodding and artistic, which is what I expect from Oscar nominated movies. Very well acted, especially by the pony tail guy who runs the community. I never felt the connection between the leads, and for me there was a gapping hole in the story.
Spoiler
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:23 AM   #7309
korme
Go Reds

Trial of Chicago 7 is so problematic and Sound of Metal was probably the best movie I've seen this year. Different strokes.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:31 AM   #7310
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Tried watching Mank last night, turned it off halfway through. Literally had no idea WTF we were watching.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:21 AM   #7311
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 7/10

I still like it, it holds up as much as the others. Toward the beginning of the film Ford is really stiuff, very much like he was during early parts of Last Crusade. But the catalyst that REALLY lets the movie shine and take off full speed is Shia Lebouf. He was great in that. Ray Winstone's character is the biggest problem. It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO trite and cliche it's ridiculous. Probably could have lost it without problem. Also Karen Allen is awesome altho she smiles a bit too much...probably because she was so happy being back on the set again. Love the ending. And Cate Blanchett is amazing in it.
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:25 AM   #7312
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

The Way We Were ?/10

This movie puzzles me. This is my second attempt to make it through it. It is Barbra Streisand and RObert Redford in a 70s romance. I love 70s movies. They have their own atmosphere and style and rules. They take slice of life to the extreme. However this movie like....really needs to let scenes play out a bit more. I've taken to watching like 20-25 minutes of it at a time. It's odd that it is a romance where the two characters should have never gotten together never should have stayed together and have no future. Yet Streisand demands they be together, even though she can't stand hanging out with him nor he with her. Redford is sooooo incredibly stiff in the movie all throughout. I later read that Sydney Pollack hid from the writer to rewrites scenes to put in more of redford and then it went through a million rewrites then the main writer came back and it was a complete mess. It defienitely plays that way.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:28 PM   #7313
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 7/10

I still like it, it holds up as much as the others. Toward the beginning of the film Ford is really stiuff, very much like he was during early parts of Last Crusade. But the catalyst that REALLY lets the movie shine and take off full speed is Shia Lebouf. He was great in that. Ray Winstone's character is the biggest problem. It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO trite and cliche it's ridiculous. Probably could have lost it without problem. Also Karen Allen is awesome altho she smiles a bit too much...probably because she was so happy being back on the set again. Love the ending. And Cate Blanchett is amazing in it.

There is another Indiana Jones movie coming out.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:31 PM   #7314
AlexB
Pro Starter

The Barefoot Contessa 9/10

Absolutely loved this film, Bogart at his best, Ava Gardner was brilliant, and the supporting cast was excellent too. Owed a lot to Citizen Kane, but still a stunning film
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:24 PM   #7315
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I FINALLY watched Eyes Wide Shut....it was unnerving...and tense....and....wow. I can't describe it but I was scared most of the time. I really really really wish he had cast someone other than Cruise and Kidman as both had this unnatural fake way of delivering their lines that got on my nerves. Like you could drive a truck through their pauses before every line. I wish it went on longer really because the end was....I dunno....lacking? Loved Sidney Pollack in it
Old 05-04-2021, 09:56 PM   #7316
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Trial of Chicago 7 is so problematic and Sound of Metal was probably the best movie I've seen this year. Different strokes.

Haven't seen the Trial of the Chicago 7 but yeah, Sound of Metal is one that will stick with me for a while.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:19 AM   #7317
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Justice League: The Snyder Cut 8/10

It took me about a month to watch this. I planned for it to take about a week, but stuff got in the way. My goal was to watch it more like a TV show than a movie, watching each distinct part separately - the movie is divided into several parts with title cards.

Despite hating the theatrical release - that one took me forever to watch, but mainly because I was so bored - I really enjoyed this 4 hour beast. The movie felt coherent. It was interesting. The action sequences were great. There was sufficient time with each character. I'm glad that these characters finally got a proper film that did them justice, especially Cyborg.

It's surprising to say, but I think Ben Affleck is my favorite movie Batman to date. The Christopher Nolan Batman movies are better films, but I like Affleck as Batman more than Christian Bale.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:17 PM   #7318
AlexB
Pro Starter

Blackkklansman 7/10

It was alright - main criticism was it was too slow, and I felt it only really skimmed the surface of the politics. The story itself was excellent, and I didn’t mind the artistic license that it gets criticised for - all films based on true events do that.

The parallels drawn between the 1910s, 1950s, 1970s and current day were all cleverly done, and the section cutting between the black student lecture about the Jesse Washington lynching and the KKK Birth of a Nation initiation meeting was the best bit of the film for me.

Some of the acting was great, some not so great - I felt it might have worked better as a feature length documentary, but TBF it wouldn’t have gained the same publicity or audience, which is an important part of the film as a whole entity.

Overall I thought it was more of an important film than a great one.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:23 AM   #7319
Edward64
Head Coach

Raya - 8/10

Enjoyed the movie. I liked the kali sticks and some of the outfits. The major ding is how everyone spoke perfect english without some sort of accent (something like Michelle Yeoh in Discovery s1).
Old 05-17-2021, 11:48 AM   #7320
PilotMan
Head Coach

Greenland 8/10

It's a summer apocalypse movie! Great CGI, great premise, solid acting, a bit of fluff here and there, but it really kept my attention throughout the entire movie. A very good run, should have killed it in the theater. Gerard Butler and Morena Baccarin starred.

Like Steam?

Old 05-17-2021, 11:58 AM   #7321
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Mitchells vs the Machines 7/10

Good, lighthearted family fun. Some quirks with the animation style, which kept things a bit fresh. The big emotional conflict in the movie is a girl leaving for college and her relationship with her family. So if you've got a kid in that zone, be prepared for perhaps a bit more of an emotional tug at the heartstrings than you would expect from a robot apocalypse cartoon comedy.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:08 PM   #7322
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Woman in the Window 8/10

Amy Adams does a great job in a movie that feels pretty straight forward and a play on Hitchcock, but it's a bit more than that as it goes. I didn't expect a whole lot out of it, but it was quite captivating and well done.

Like Steam?

Old 07-05-2021, 05:07 PM   #7323
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

The Tomorrow War is a pretty terrible fucking movie, I can see why they were willing to sell it to Amazon because it was going to bomb hard. Not much about it makes much sense and the action scenes are generic, but at least it had a message about the dangers global warming.

2/10
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:15 PM   #7324
spleen1015
Coordinator

Black Widow - 7/10

Not the best Marvel movie but better than a few of them.

It is a Marvel movie that does what Marvel movies do. Action and fight scenes were good. The little twists here and there were pretty good. Some of the comedy was really good, some just ok.

There is 1 post credits scene, FYI.

Some other thoughts that may or may not be a spoiler.
Spoiler
Old 07-09-2021, 01:56 AM   #7325
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Raya - 8/10

Enjoyed the movie. I liked the kali sticks and some of the outfits. The major ding is how everyone spoke perfect english without some sort of accent (something like Michelle Yeoh in Discovery s1).

Not sure what I would give it, but I think it failed on the main metric I rate animated movies on these days - if they appeal as much to adults as they do with kids, ie. some jokes and concepts sprinkled in there that would fly above the heads of kids. I don't think this movie really had any that jumped out at me. It just felt like lots ideas and characters I've seen before done better in other animated movies. Nice animation though, and it was good to see a mix of different cultures/influences throughout.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:09 PM   #7326
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Wonder Woman 1984 - 6/10

Watched it again this weekend. Going to drop it to 5/10, not worthy of my blu-ray collection. Started promising but what a lousy plot.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:12 PM   #7327
Edward64
Head Coach

Godzilla vs Kong - 7/10

It was good and special effects were great but points deducted for the stupid hollow earth stuff. I'll get it when on sale to watch the specials.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:16 PM   #7328
Edward64
Head Coach

Let Him Go - 5/10

I enjoy Kevin Costner. He's a mature actor that has settled into lesser movies recently but hey, it's an honest living.

The movie was okay. What spoiled it for me is an experienced law man not being very experienced at all IMO.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:19 PM   #7329
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
The Tomorrow War is a pretty terrible fucking movie, I can see why they were willing to sell it to Amazon because it was going to bomb hard. Not much about it makes much sense and the action scenes are generic, but at least it had a message about the dangers global warming.

2/10

I give it a 6/10.

I really enjoyed the 1H. The 2H reduced the overall rating. Fun movie.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:57 AM   #7330
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Quiet Place 2 - 9/10

It was outstanding, riveting, intense, emotional and a fantastic just as good if not better sequel. I would watch again anytime.

I'll also throw up Tomorrow War - 6.5/10

The CGI is easily some of the very best I've seen in any movie that's come out in the last few years. The story is ok, then it just craps out toward the end, but all in all, the action sequences and the CGI make it worthwhile.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 07-20-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:42 PM   #7331
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post

2/10

$200,000,000 well spent by Amazon.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 07-26-2021 at 06:43 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:40 PM   #7332
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Black Widow - 7/10

Not the best Marvel movie but better than a few of them.

It is a Marvel movie that does what Marvel movies do. Action and fight scenes were good. The little twists here and there were pretty good. Some of the comedy was really good, some just ok.

There is 1 post credits scene, FYI.

Some other thoughts that may or may not be a spoiler.
Spoiler
I gave it a 7/10 as well. It didn't feel like a typical super hero movie, I'm not a huge fan of the genre to begin with, but it was action packed, while not overloaded with it. It felt like they were mocking with the genre in general anyway, in particular the running gag
Spoiler

All in all, it was just good to be in a movie theatre for the first time since Christmas 2019.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:18 AM   #7333
Edward64
Head Coach

Quiet Place 2 - 8/10

Pretty darn good movie. Enjoyed it all but wish they had a little more "ending" like a post-script.

I'll probably buy on BF so I can check out the specials.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #7334
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Jungle Cruise 9.9/10

Perfect summer movie. The Rock is just so damn good in these. The jokes are funny and they do a great job of capturing the spirit of the actual ride at Disney. Fun twist that is maybe a little easy to see coming but probably not easy for kids. We watched on a rainy day while on vacation and ages 8-90 all loved it.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:45 AM   #7335
Murph
n00b

Spaceballs - 10 out of 10. That and Blazing Saddles are two of my top 10 favorite movies of all time.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:36 PM   #7336
Butter
Coordinator

Old - 4/10

I got an idea, let's have every character say exactly what they are thinking at all times. All exposition will be done through dialogue. Also, the dialogue will be overly clunky and oddly stilted.

Maybe this is just how Night's movies are now, I hadn't watched one of his since SPLIT, which I quite enjoyed.

Barb and Star go to Vista del Mar - 6/10

Very few truly hilarious bits, but enjoyable enough.

Some Kind of Heaven - 8/10

Documentary about The Villages, FL, a massive retirement complex, through the eyes of four different residents. The best of which is a guy who is the stereotype of the guy who "can't settle down". He would rather be homeless... yes, literally... than stay with a woman for more than a few weeks. Really enjoyed it, but it gave me a lot to think about around my retirement in another decade or two.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:04 PM   #7337
Edward64
Head Coach

Nobody - 7.5/10

Solid action movie. A regular joe "John Wick". Not as slick, not as many fancy moves, no fantastical Continental stuff etc. A little bit of humor, one kill-the-bad guy scene I've never seen before ...

Worth the Prime $5.99.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:21 AM   #7338
Groundhog
Coordinator

Black Widow a hard one to score for me. Unlike most of the post-GotG movies it was pretty short on humour (outside of some moments from the father), and to be honest I just don't think Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow is interesting enough to carry a movie by herself. I guess it's probably in the 5/10 range - had some enjoyable moments, overall I didn't dislike it but I can't see myself ever watching it again.
Old 08-21-2021, 05:43 AM   #7339
Edward64
Head Coach

A double movie night for $5.99 Prime movies.

Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard - 7/10. Fun movie with some nice action. Not sure why but can't help but feel that Banderas was miscast here, didn't quite seem to fit.

Mortal Kombat - 5/10. I knew it wasn't going to be great. I watched it anyway just because. The acting was sad which is to be expected. But disappointed with the fight scenes. They seems slow and obviously very scripted. Should have hired a better fight choreographer.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-21-2021 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:42 PM   #7340
cuervo72
Head Coach

The Godfather- 10/10

Think I might even watch the second one!
Old 08-29-2021, 07:47 PM   #7341
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I hear it's pretty good, too

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-29-2021 at 07:47 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:13 PM   #7342
spleen1015
Coordinator

Sequels are never as good as the first.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:03 PM   #7343
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The obvious exception that clearly proves the rule is T2

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:09 PM   #7344
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
The obvious exception that clearly proves the rule is T2

SI

And Empire

Like Steam?

Old 08-29-2021, 09:38 PM   #7345
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

And Rocky IV
Old 08-29-2021, 10:33 PM   #7346
thesloppy
Pro Starter

And Rambo IV
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:52 AM   #7347
Kodos
Resident Alien

And Shrek 2.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:28 AM   #7348
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Boss Level on Hulu, very little expectation other than knowing it was "Groundhog Day" with action. Highly entertaining and with some nice emotional beats...with a special appearance by Mel Gibson (just earning a paycheck but so be it).
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:23 PM   #7349
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

I don't want to rate the movie here, but I want to say that it has some great cinematography for a comedy.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 09-05-2021 at 06:23 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:24 PM   #7350
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Free Guy

Fun if not predictable. We enjoyed it Reynolds was his usual self. Nothing earth shattering but worth a couple hours.