Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-18-2021, 04:33 PM   #21051
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I have to fire someone tomorrow. Never had to do it before, so not looking forward to it.

Had to it once, on Monday after a staff football match where I ruptured my achilles. The guy I fired was the one who drove me to the hospital and then waited while I got the temporary cast and then drove me home again...

I didn’t feel good about it at all.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:50 PM   #21052
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I have to fire someone tomorrow. Never had to do it before, so not looking forward to it.

I haven't had to fire people but I've had to be the person to deliver the message that they were laid off, which is basically the same thing (and kindof sucked because I didn't even make the decision - that was made higher up but, as the team lead, I had to deliver it). It kindof sucks even with people who deserved it - the ones who don't work and who bring the rest of the team down. But it /really/ sucks when the person did nothing wrong and was caught in a numbers game (these were contractors and they were getting rid of contractors).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:51 AM   #21053
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If someone is sadistic, they're called a sadist.

Why then am I not called a sardon?
Old 03-19-2021, 01:25 PM   #21054
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Had to it once, on Monday after a staff football match where I ruptured my achilles. The guy I fired was the one who drove me to the hospital and then waited while I got the temporary cast and then drove me home again...

I didn’t feel good about it at all.

Oof, that is awful.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:18 PM   #21055
pantera
n00b

Ever dream of zipping among the stars like your favorite sci-fi astronauts?

The New Horizons spacecraft travels at 36,373 miles per hour (58,536 km/h). Launched from Earth in January 2006, it took 9 1/2 years to reach Pluto. At that rate it would take 78,000 years to reach our closest star Alpha Centauri.

Stock up on some snacks for the trip.
pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:43 PM   #21056
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:44 PM   #21057
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Smurf movies are getting really dark and destructive

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-19-2021 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:06 PM   #21058
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

what in the fresh fuck is THAT?
Old 03-20-2021, 01:20 AM   #21059
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

newest mentos commercial?
Old 03-20-2021, 01:36 AM   #21060
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I think that stuff is called 'elephant toothpaste' (no joke)
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:36 PM   #21061
pantera
n00b

This doesn't deserve its own thread, so apologies for asking it here...

I just joined the forum recently after buying FOF8. I can log in successfully with my current username & password. But every time I visit the forum (before logging in) I see one of my email addresses saved in the username box along with a password (instead of the one I recently joined with, that I'm using as I write this). I think I had tried to join the forum years ago when I demo'd FOF7 and never stayed...

If I try to log in using that old username, I get a forum popup saying it is invalid. It is also not listed on the forum's username list.

I've looked for it in my Chrome list of saved log-ins, but it's not there. I can't figure out how to get rid of it. It's quite annoying to see it every time I visit the forum now.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:57 PM   #21062
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera View Post
This doesn't deserve its own thread, so apologies for asking it here...

I just joined the forum recently after buying FOF8. I can log in successfully with my current username & password. But every time I visit the forum (before logging in) I see one of my email addresses saved in the username box along with a password (instead of the one I recently joined with, that I'm using as I write this). I think I had tried to join the forum years ago when I demo'd FOF7 and never stayed...

If I try to log in using that old username, I get a forum popup saying it is invalid. It is also not listed on the forum's username list.

I've looked for it in my Chrome list of saved log-ins, but it's not there. I can't figure out how to get rid of it. It's quite annoying to see it every time I visit the forum now.
Ping moderators.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:14 PM   #21063
miami_fan
Coordinator

Are storage units and car washes a growth industry?

I was driving around running errands and I counted at least ten newly built or soon to be built storage unit businesses and just as many car washes. That is in addition to the two car washes that are attached gas stations that were just built/expanded and similar businesses that have been there since I moved here five plus years ago.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:26 PM   #21064
bhlloy
Coordinator

I’ve anecdotally heard the profit margin on storage units are pretty huge... not saying there isn’t a point of saturation but your outlay is basically rent, insurance and a couple of employees, and a lot of times your customers don’t have a ton of choice (in between homes/evicted/out of state for extended periods of time - you’ve got to find somewhere to keep your stuff).

Car washes I can see being a larger initial outlay, but let’s just say I’m not sure most of them are exactly paying their workers benefits or anything over the absolute minimum wage. If you think you can have a workforce of 5 min wage workers knock out 25 cars an hour at 30 bucks a pop, that’s a pretty nice earner I guess
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:21 PM   #21065
JPhillips
General Manager

Breaking Bad taught us that car washes are all-cash businesses perfect for laundering drug money.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:52 AM   #21066
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Are storage units and car washes a growth industry?

I was driving around running errands and I counted at least ten newly built or soon to be built storage unit businesses and just as many car washes. That is in addition to the two car washes that are attached gas stations that were just built/expanded and similar businesses that have been there since I moved here five plus years ago.

I've looked into storage unit businesses but the capital to get it started is more than I can afford unfortunately. I had thought it would be a good retirement business to do.

Also thought about like a UPS Store (or like) but don't see them growing anymore and I'd have to accept that busy season will mess up holiday plans.

Thinking about a Subway franchise now ...
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:06 AM   #21067
pantera
n00b

Holy Thread Bump Batman!

12 years and 3 months.

Cord Blood banking - Front Office Football Central
Old 03-25-2021, 02:03 PM   #21068
sabotai
General Manager

I was incredibly confused for a minute until I reread the thread title....banking....okay, that makes more sense.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:42 PM   #21069
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I've looked into storage unit businesses but the capital to get it started is more than I can afford unfortunately. I had thought it would be a good retirement business to do.

Also thought about like a UPS Store (or like) but don't see them growing anymore and I'd have to accept that busy season will mess up holiday plans.

Thinking about a Subway franchise now ...
The last I heard about Subways was they were making you buy them in 3 packs. I don't know if that is still true. It has long been one of the most inexpensive franchises to get into. The probelm at this point is just saturation.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:48 PM   #21070
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The last I heard about Subways was they were making you buy them in 3 packs. I don't know if that is still true. It has long been one of the most inexpensive franchises to get into. The probelm at this point is just saturation.

Lower front end entry cost but among the highest royalties in the industry (8% of gross I believe, plus a mandatory 4.5% national marketing fee every month)
Old 03-25-2021, 06:50 PM   #21071
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I wonder if they refer to the high royalty as the Jared Sex Settlement Tax.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:54 PM   #21072
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Some things that might give me pause about buying a Subway franchise:
  • The food sucks
  • They are always empty
Old 03-25-2021, 07:31 PM   #21073
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
  • The food sucks
  • They are always empty
They are never empty around here.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:38 PM   #21074
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Lower front end entry cost but among the highest royalties in the industry (8% of gross I believe, plus a mandatory 4.5% national marketing fee every month)
Yes. The per store profit is pretty low, but that is why you probably should own at least three. I had a friend who was a general manager for several stores. They have very low overhead because of how few employees you need to run them, but even a very busy store doesn't have huge receipts compared to other restaurants. Their per ticket collections are not bad. They are just not ever going to be high volume. That is how you can have one on every corner. They are all "profitable", but you aren't getting rich off one, or two, or even three.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:07 PM   #21075
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Well this looks absolutely terrifying

Live from Geldingadalir volcano, Iceland - YouTube

Last edited by NobodyHere : 03-26-2021 at 06:12 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:57 AM   #21076
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
They are never empty around here.

I can't say now but when the kids were young, we would go to Subway fairly often (e.g. right beside the Karate Dojo). They were never empty but never brimming full either.

I'm thinking Jared scandal and also the rise of so many other chains have hurt Subway quite a bit.

The strategy is not a Subway in a city or big town, more like in a small town where there aren't as many options, or medium town at a popular strip mall.

FWIW, family is past the Subway stage of life. Food was okay back then but can't imagine going out of my way to get a sub.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:06 AM   #21077
GrantDawg

Quote:
I can't say now but when the kids were young, we would go to Subway fairly often (e.g. right beside the Karate Dojo). They were never empty but never brimming full either.

I'm thinking Jared scandal and also the rise of so many other chains have hurt Subway quite a bit.

The strategy is not a Subway in a city or big town, more like in a small town where there aren't as many options, or medium town at a popular strip mall.

FWIW, family is past the Subway stage of life. Food was okay back then but can't imagine going out of my way to get a sub.
No, that is the place to do it. Any strip center in a more rural area that doesn't have many options. I was talking to my buddy that was the general manager for several just yesterday, and he confirmed what I remembered. To actually make money of these, you need to own 3-5.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #21078
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

Certainly the empty ones that I am always passing by are smack dab in the middle of this foodie city, typically sandwiched directly between a local tacqueria and a pizza joint.

...but I do think that speaks to the quality of the investment. Do you really want to tie your life to a restaurant that is reliant on making sure there is no other decent food in a certain radius & keeping labor costs as low as possible? It's the restaurant equivalent of being a slumlord.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:09 PM   #21079
GrantDawg

Quote:
Certainly the empty ones that I am always passing by are smack dab in the middle of this foodie city, typically sandwiched directly between a local tacqueria and a pizza joint.

...but I do think that speaks to the quality of the investment. Do you really want to tie your life to a restaurant that is reliant on making sure there is no other decent food in a certain radius & keeping labor costs as low as possible? It's the restaurant equivalent of being a slumlord.
That's is really not a fair assessment of a Subway's. The food isn't great, but it isn't bad. They offer many healthy options, and even their most unhealthy is better for you than what you get at an average fast food restaurant. Having one in a area with very little other options is actually a God-send for the people that live there. I have lived many places that I would loved to have a Subways near by.

A food slum-lord is the owner of a wings restaurant. Even cheaper than a Subways franchise (no franchise fees at all), food cost is much cheaper (froxen wings by bulk are super cheap) and all you have to serve is deep fried chicken and fries. No healthy options, low overhead, and just feed fried cheap garbage to people.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:22 PM   #21080
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

When you called it elephant's toothpaste...I literally was wondering if this is how they get elephant's tusks clean and wondered if the elephant is just supposed to walk through all that...
Old 03-27-2021, 01:22 PM   #21081
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
  • The food sucks
  • They are always empty

also don't order the jared pedo special
Old 03-27-2021, 01:23 PM   #21082
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I wonder if they refer to the high royalty as the Jared Sex Settlement Tax.

man late to the jared joke party
Old 03-27-2021, 01:40 PM   #21083
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have lived many places that I would loved to have a Subways near by.

And before Subway won the sub-wars, the same was true (probably even moreso) for Blimpies.

Even a town the size of, say Canton (circa 1990s), getting either was a very big deal. It was really the first chain to arrive that wasn't drivethru oriented not named pizza hut.

It was also cheaper than the only legit (VERY legit, NYC import owner, authentic deli quality ) sandwich shop in town (and for at least 15 miles in any direction) AND even more importantly, was open all day and into the night rather than merely doing lunch business.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:48 PM   #21084
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And before Subway won the sub-wars, the same was true (probably even moreso) for Blimpies.

Even a town the size of, say Canton (circa 1990s), getting either was a very big deal. It was really the first chain to arrive that wasn't drivethru oriented not named pizza hut.

It was also cheaper than the only legit (VERY legit, NYC import owner, authentic deli quality ) sandwich shop in town (and for at least 15 miles in any direction) AND even more importantly, was open all day and into the night rather than merely doing lunch business.
Exactly. I used to love the smell of the fresh baked bread. There was no where that offered that at the btime around here. Now, there are sub shops I prefer over it, but I still eat at Subways at least once a month when I am working more rural areas. Places other restaurants would fail.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:15 PM   #21085
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Been a weird past 24 hours. My dad went from going to the hospital with an angina attack, to needing an angioplasty and stent, to a full blown quadruple bypass.

He had the surgery last night, which went well.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:51 PM   #21086
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Been a weird past 24 hours. My dad went from going to the hospital with an angina attack, to needing an angioplasty and stent, to a full blown quadruple bypass.

Glad to hear everything went well. Speedy recovery to him.

Last edited by rjolley : 03-27-2021 at 03:51 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:24 PM   #21087
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Sounds like a whirlwind
Very glad to hear things turning in the right direction.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:02 PM   #21088
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

FWIW, mom had triple bypass and live for another 23+ years. The improvement was pretty radical after the bypass so hopefully he'll be as good as new.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:13 PM   #21089
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Though Post Malone has kinda been a bit of a punch line for some of us after the whole duet with Ozzy thing, credit where it's due: the country cover (I've only seen the main performance one, not the aftershow one) he did on the Matt McConaghey benefit show last night was 100% legit afaic.

Sure, having a veteran country band (Dwight Yoakam's touring band) to work with had to make it easier but he still had to deliver the vocal & he did that in a fashion I saw absolutely nothing to find fault with.

Props.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:24 AM   #21090
tarcone
Coordinator

If you are looking to be a franchisee, I would look into Chick-fil-a. I believe the initial outlay is $10k. Then they do everything. You do have give them like 50% of you profits and something like 15% ownership, but you can make about $200k a year.

Not sure on the all the numbers as it was about a month ago when I saw it.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:30 AM   #21091
Edward64
Head Coach

Had to look it up.

Not sure why I would want to get into an CFA "franchise" if I don't really own it?

Quote:
Chick-fil-A doesn't call the people who run its restaurants "franchisees." Instead, they're called "operators," which helps signify their role in the company. According to AOL, and this is hugely important, "Operators do not own or receive any equity in their businesses. The company picks the restaurant's location, and then owns the restaurant. Franchisees cannot sell their locations or pass them on to the next generation. Nor can they open multiple locations, which can limit franchisees' potential profits."
So, if you have the intention of buying a franchise you can later sell, Chick-fil-A isn't for yo
Old 03-28-2021, 10:52 AM   #21092
GrantDawg

Quote:
Had to look it up.

Not sure why I would want to get into an CFA "franchise" if I don't really own it?
Part of that is not completely true. They can own more than one franchise (local owner has two), but the rest is probably correct. Why you want to own is they print money. I mean big volume.
The hard part of owning a CFA is becoming an owner. My understanding is you have work in their management training program for a year before you even qualify. Then, they are really strict where one can be built, and are very protective of the other store owners territories.

And just as an ad, I really question the $200k a year thing. The local owner owns two stores, rents an office to run managment for both stores out of, and his house is easily in the multi-million dollar range.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-28-2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:00 AM   #21093
Edward64
Head Coach

We picked up lemonade and ice cream yesterday at 2pm. Busy as heck. They had 3 lines with teams of people taking orders and delivering them (e.g. in lanes 2 & 3).

You may not like the founder's take on stuff, but CFA is a well run machine. The quality and service is definitely higher than the others.

But I will say there is a lack of minorities at CFAs that I go to. I would be interested in seeing their HR metrics on # applicants, voluntary ethnicity info, how many are hired etc. My guess is there is an underlying problem there and won't be surprised if it catches up with them.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:04 PM   #21094
GrantDawg

Quote:
We picked up lemonade and ice cream yesterday at 2pm. Busy as heck. They had 3 lines with teams of people taking orders and delivering them (e.g. in lanes 2 & 3).

You may not like the founder's take on stuff, but CFA is a well run machine. The quality and service is definitely higher than the others.

But I will say there is a lack of minorities at CFAs that I go to. I would be interested in seeing their HR metrics on # applicants, voluntary ethnicity info, how many are hired etc. My guess is there is an underlying problem there and won't be surprised if it catches up with them.
I wonder, but I will say the local store has minorities, including the store manager at the one closest to me.
And just another bit of info: You cannot sell a franchise on the open market, but you do cash out once you want to sell or if you die. The franchise can only be sold to someone qualified to own the store by Chick-fil-a, and the price you get is fair market value, not highest bidder.
All of this is really doesn't matter anyway. There is probably a lengthy waiting list for a franchise in Georgia right now. The best chance you would have is to try to get one where they under-represent, and evn then it would be a long process.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:09 PM   #21095
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Have you ever wanted to move to South Dakota in the winter and own a Chick-Fil-A? Then do we have an opportunity for you!

SI

Old 03-28-2021, 01:55 PM   #21096
pantera
n00b

Quote:
FWIW, mom had triple bypass and live for another 23+ years. The improvement was pretty radical after the bypass so hopefully he'll be as good as new.
Agreed. My dad had a triple bypass at 65 and never had another heart issue until his passing (cancer) at 81. I had open heart surgery 2 years ago this week to repair a valve and am doing really well.

Your dad should be fine.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:03 PM   #21097
Ksyrup

My wife ordered CFA on Friday after Caitlin's game and they screwed the order up. She got both drinks, but only one meal. I believe that's the first time since I've eaten at CFA for over 20 years that I can recall a mistake.

And yeah, my wife's pandemic meal ordering luck is amazing. This is now the 6th order that a place has screwed up since March 2020 and her meal has been impacted EVERY SINGLE TIME.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-28-2021, 03:20 PM   #21098
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
And yeah, my wife's pandemic meal ordering luck is amazing. This is now the 6th order that a place has screwed up since March 2020 and her meal has been impacted EVERY SINGLE TIME.

The kinship I feel here is incredibly strong.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:32 PM   #21099
Ksyrup

It's become a running joke in our family. I made chicken on the grill a couple of weeks ago and only came inside with 3 breasts and told my wife the grill forgot hers.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:49 PM   #21100
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't mean any disrespect to the officer or his family, but whoever picked Cat's in the Cradle as a song to honor the officer as a father doesn't understand the lyrics.