Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
molson
General Manager

86th Academy Award Nominations

I sucked at going to the movies last year. I have a lot to catch up on.

2014 Oscar Nominees | 86th Academy Awards Nominations

1. Best Picture: "American Hustle," ''Captain Phillips," ''Dallas Buyers Club," ''Gravity," ''Her," ''Nebraska," ''Philomena," ''12 Years a Slave," ''The Wolf of Wall Street."

2. Actor: Christian Bale, "American Hustle"; Bruce Dern, "Nebraska"; Leonardo DiCaprio, "The Wolf of Wall Street"; Chiwetel Ejiofor, "12 Years a Slave"; Matthew McConaughey, "Dallas Buyers Club."

3. Actress: Amy Adams, "American Hustle"; Cate Blanchett, "Blue Jasmine"; Sandra Bullock, "Gravity"; Judi Dench, "Philomena"; Meryl Streep, "August: Osage County."

4. Supporting Actor: Barkhad Abdi, "Captain Phillips"; Bradley Cooper, "American Hustle"; Michael Fassbender, "12 Years a Slave"; Jonah Hill, "The Wolf of Wall Street"; Jared Leto, "Dallas Buyers Club."

5. Supporting Actress: Sally Hawkins, "Blue Jasmine'''; Jennifer Lawrence, "American Hustle"; Lupita Nyong'o, "12 Years a Slave"; Julia Roberts, "August: Osage County"; June Squibb, "Nebraska."

6. Directing: David O. Russell, "American Hustle"; Alfonso Cuaron, "Gravity"; Alexander Payne, "Nebraska"; Steve McQueen, "12 Years a Slave"; Martin Scorsese, "The Wolf of Wall Street."

7. Foreign Language Film: "The Broken Circle Breakdown," Belgium; "The Great Beauty," Italy; "The Hunt," Denmark; "The Missing Picture," Cambodia; "Omar," Palestine.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke, "Before Midnight"; Billy Ray, "Captain Phillips"; Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope, "Philomena"; John Ridley, "12 Years a Slave"; Terence Winter, "The Wolf of Wall Street."

9. Original Screenplay: Eric Warren Singer and David O. Russell, "American Hustle"; Woody Allen, "Blue Jasmine"; Craig Borten & Melisa Wallack, "Dallas Buyers Club"; Spike Jonze, "Her"; Bob Nelson, "Nebraska."

10. Animated Feature Film: "The Croods"; "Despicable Me 2"; "Ernest & Celestine"; "Frozen"; "The Wind Rises."

11. Production Design: "American Hustle," ''Gravity," ''The Great Gatsby," ''Her," ''12 Years a Slave."

12. Cinematography: "The Grandmaster," ''Gravity," ''Inside Llewyn Davis," ''Nebraska," ''Prisoners."

13. Sound Mixing: "Captain Phillips," ''Gravity," ''The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug," ''Inside Llewyn Davis," ''Lone Survivor."

14. Sound Editing: "All Is Lost," ''Captain Phillips," ''Gravity," ''The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug," ''Lone Survivor."

15. Original Score: "The Book Thief," John Williams; "Gravity," Steven Price; "Her," William Butler and Owen Pallett; "Philomena," Alexandre Desplat; "Saving Mr. Banks," Thomas Newman.

16. Original Song: "Alone Yet Not Alone" from "Alone Yet Not Alone," Bruce Broughton and Dennis Spiegel; "Happy" from "Despicable Me 2," Pharrell Williams; "Let It Go" from "Frozen," Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez; "The Moon Song" from "Her," Karen O and Spike Jonze; "Ordinary Love" from "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom," Paul Hewson, Dave Evans, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen.

17. Costume: "American Hustle," ''The Grandmaster," ''The Great Gatsby," ''The Invisible Woman," ''12 Years a Slave."

18. Documentary Feature: "The Act of Killing," ''Cutie and the Boxer," ''Dirty Wars," ''The Square," ''20 Feet from Stardom."

19. Documentary (short subject): "CaveDigger," ''Facing Fear," ''Karama Has No Walls," ''The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life," ''Prison Terminal: The Last Days of Private Jack Hall."

20. Film Editing: "American Hustle," ''Captain Phillips," ''Dallas Buyers Club," ''Gravity," ''12 Years a Slave."

21. Makeup and Hairstyling: "Dallas Buyers Club," ''Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa," ''The Lone Ranger."

22. Animated Short Film: "Feral," ''Get a Horse!," ''Mr. Hublot," ''Possessions", "Room on the Broom."

23. Live Action Short Film: "Aquel No Era Yo (That Wasn't Me)," ''Avant Que De Tout Perdre (Just before Losing Everything)," ''Helium," ''Pitaako Mun Kaikki Hoitaa? (Do I Have to Take Care of Everything?)," ''The Voorman Problem."

24. Visual Effects: "Gravity," ''The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug," ''Iron Man 3," ''The Lone Ranger," ''Star Trek Into Darkness."

molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I sucked at going to the movies last year. I have a lot to catch up on.

2014 Oscar Nominees | 86th Academy Awards Nominations

1. Best Picture: "American Hustle," ''Captain Phillips," ''Dallas Buyers Club," ''Gravity," ''Her," ''Nebraska," ''Philomena," ''12 Years a Slave," ''The Wolf of Wall Street."

While I have only seen one of the above movies (Gravity), I usually am pretty up to date on films. But I have never even heard of "Nebraska" or "Philomena." I couldn't name anyone in either film or what either film is about or anything.

I find this... odd.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I wonder if Wooderson wins Best Actor, to follow up from his Golden Globe win.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 01-16-2014 at 12:56 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

I'm just going to enjoy rolling the phrase "Academy Award nominated film 'Bad Grandpa'" off the tongue in conversation.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
chadritt
High School Varsity

The lack of Joacquin Phoenix surprises me.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
While I have only seen one of the above movies (Gravity), I usually am pretty up to date on films. But I have never even heard of "Nebraska" or "Philomena." I couldn't name anyone in either film or what either film is about or anything.

I find this... odd.

Really? Both Nebraska and Philomena have been getting some good buzz (Nebraska especially).
Old 01-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #7
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

22. Animated Short Film: "Feral," ''Get a Horse!," ''Mr. Hublot," ''Possessions", "Room on the Broom."

23. Live Action Short Film: "Aquel No Era Yo (That Wasn't Me)," ''Avant Que De Tout Perdre (Just before Losing Everything)," ''Helium," ''Pitaako Mun Kaikki Hoitaa? (Do I Have to Take Care of Everything?)," ''The Voorman Problem."

I will be seeing all of these in a few weeks. I will let you know who the winners should be.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I will be seeing all of these in a few weeks. I will let you know who the winners should be.

Like at a mini film-festival? I think my local artsy theater does that, plays all the nominated shorts some random night.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Like at a mini film-festival? I think my local artsy theater does that, plays all the nominated shorts some random night.

The movie theater at the Detroit Institute of Arts has a few screenings of all of the animated and live shorts. They play all of one category, have an intermission, and then play the next category.

My wife and I have gone the last few years. It's a lot of fun. A bit hit & miss with some of the film, but overall I enjoy them.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 01-16-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

2013 has been widely acknowledged as one of the better years for quality movies that we have seen in some time. So it shouldn't come as a shock that we're seeing some pretty egregious snubs (although it seems likely that egregious though they may seem, they may well be deserved because the fields are so strong this year).

On my personal list of wows was Tom Hanks not being nommed in Best Actor for Captain Phillips. The last five minutes of his performance in that film is quite frankly one of the most amazing acting performances I have ever seen. People have been stunned by that, and also by Robert Redford being left off for his turn in "All is Lost".

That category is nutty full of good candidates, though. Everyone there deserved a nod except, IMO, Bale. I liked Bale in American Hustle, but I am sorry, he doesn't belong there over Hanks, presumeably Redford, and probably Pheonix from Her either.

A lot of people are saying Emma Thompson got snubbed in Best Actress, and that it was Streep who got her spot. For all I know, Streep does a great job in August: Osage County, but most are saying Thompson couldn't have played a more on point PL Travers in Saving Mr. Banks. I haven't seen either movie, so I can't offer up a personal opinion, but the sense I am getting is that Streep might be on that list because she is always on those lists, not because her performance was better than Thompson.

Lots of talk about Inside Llewellyn Davis not getting any love. I'm not really a big Coen Brothers guy, and I sometimes feel their stuff is rubber stamped for Oscar noms, whether it is deserved or not. But there are people saying this is their best movie (over Fargo, Oh Brother, etc.). If that's true, it probably should at least have been the 10th Best Pic in a category that didn't fill up.

That movie also probably could have landed a song in Best Original Song. I was surprised Atlas from Coldplay (for Catching Fire) wasn't nommed either.

In makeup, I was shocked that both Catching Fire and American Hustle weren't nommed there. The category only had three noms, not like they couldn't have made it there.

Interested in the opinions of the other film cogniscienti in the house...

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #11
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I've seen 8 of the 9 Best Pictures (all except Philomena) and all but three of the acting nominations (Dench, Streep, Roberts). There were some snubs (especially Hanks), but overall I'm really happy about many of their choices. I think it's reallly cool that American Hustle got an acting nomination in every category and that's the second year in a row a David O. Russell film has accomplished that.

Quote:
Lots of talk about Inside Llewellyn Davis not getting any love. I'm not really a big Coen Brothers guy, and I sometimes feel their stuff is rubber stamped for Oscar noms, whether it is deserved or not. But there are people saying this is their best movie (over Fargo, Oh Brother, etc.). If that's true, it probably should at least have been the 10th Best Pic in a category that didn't fill up.

I am a Coen Bros. guy and I really liked Inside Llewyn Davis, but it's not even close to their best. (No Country For Old Men, Raising Arizona, Oh Brother, and True Grit are my favs).

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #12
TroyF
Coordinator

The Line Ranger with a nominatin? Seriously? I know, not one of the biggies, but still. . . that movie was terrible.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #13
chadritt
High School Varsity

Im not 100% sure but I believe both its nominations come in categories that only got voted on by members of the relevant guilds, as in only makeup artists got to vote for makeup and only special effects artists voted for effects, which I think makes it carry a lot more weight.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #14
chadritt
High School Varsity

Dola - found it. Johnny Knoxville's 'Bad Grandpa' could win an Oscar | PopStyle | EW.com
Old 01-16-2014, 09:43 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wow... Didn't see anything nominated this year. Like I mean all 26 categories.

Need to get out more I guess.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #16
korme
Go Reds

It was Redford or Dern, Chief.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #17
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I have seen 5 outta 9 of the best pic nominees. ( still need to see 12 years, Nebraska, Philomena and Wolf of Wall Street. ) I will have seen a couple more before the oscars are presented
Old 01-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #18
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
It was Redford or Dern, Chief.

It seems like it shouldn't have come to that.

I'll have to watch All is Lost and Nebraska to confirm, but everything I have been hearing have placed the performances by Redford and Dern at the pinnacle. Dern more or less carries Nebraska, from what I have seen, while Redford's performance is apparently just powerful and his best in decades.

If the hype I am hearing on those are true (can anyone here vouch for them?), it seems to me they should trump a strong but not spectacular performance by Bale (I did see American Hustle).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #19
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and that's beside the point, too, that Hanks alone, in a performance I did see and can directly compare, easily does better than Bale, and Bale's in there over him, too.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #20
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I wonder if Wooderson wins Best Actor, to follow up from his Golden Globe win.

I just KNEW that he'd work "Alright, alright, alright" into his speech. He's come a long way since Dazed and Confused.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #21
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Oh, and that's beside the point, too, that Hanks alone, in a performance I did see and can directly compare, easily does better than Bale, and Bale's in there over him, too.

Btw, since then I've seen Captain Phillips. Hanks does a good job - Bale does a better one.

---

Anyways, disappointed Gravity didn't win (I thought it was a fantastic example of a film that does one thing really really well), but 12 Years a Slave was a worthy winner. I still have to see Her (as well as Philomena and Wolf of Wall Street, but those two weren't really in the discussion).
Old 03-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #22
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Btw, since then I've seen Captain Phillips. Hanks does a good job - Bale does a better one.

---

Anyways, disappointed Gravity didn't win (I thought it was a fantastic example of a film that does one thing really really well), but 12 Years a Slave was a worthy winner. I still have to see Her (as well as Philomena and Wolf of Wall Street, but those two weren't really in the discussion).

To each their own. I disagree. The last five minutes of Captain Phillips is perhaps the finest acting within a moment I have seen in years.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #23
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

CPt Philips was a good movie, but so was Wolf, and Gravity. American Hustle and Dallas Buyers club were both better.

if you look back over past Oscars, it seems the best movie never wins, Im interested to see 12 years a slave now.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #24
Johnny93g
College Starter

My favourites were not really to successful this year.

I saw 8 of the best picture nominees, and i would rank them:
1. Wolf of Wall Street
2. American Hustle
3. Gravity
4. Dallas Buyers Club
5. Nebraska
6. Her
7. 12 years a Slave
8. Captain Phillips

One of my main complaints about Slave and Phillips is I was bored. To me, there is no drama in scenes that are predictable. Both these movies were filled with them.

MM deserved his best actor oscar, which says alot, as i did think DiCaprio, Ejiofor, Bale, and Dern were all great. DiCaprio though needs to win one soon. He's just to good.

Did not see Blanchett, but by all accounts, she killed it, and the clips they showed of her were pretty impressive. Amy Adams in Hustle was my pick of what I saw.

I would have given supporting actress to Lawrence and agree with Leto winning supporting actor.

Gravity deserved all the technical awards, and by that means, deserves the best director win.

Without question though, I think Wolf of Wall Street(which I've called a masterpiece) will hold up better then any movie this year.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #25
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Chief, the end of Cap Phillips is great. However the rest of that performance wasn't. it was ok, but not fantastic. I was also surprised by the lack of Redford. If I had a say the Actor Nominees would have been Dern, Redford (both on hearsay), Mcconahay, Phoenix, and probably Ejiofor... though Bale would hhave been Awfully close. Hanks is at best 7th best to me... but he probably has 2 in the top 10 as well. His Disney way on the whole better....again with the exception of that last scene.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #26
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
Chief, the end of Cap Phillips is great. However the rest of that performance wasn't. it was ok, but not fantastic. I was also surprised by the lack of Redford. If I had a say the Actor Nominees would have been Dern, Redford (both on hearsay), Mcconahay, Phoenix, and probably Ejiofor... though Bale would hhave been Awfully close. Hanks is at best 7th best to me... but he probably has 2 in the top 10 as well. His Disney way on the whole better....again with the exception of that last scene.

Hard for me to believe Redford wasn't nominated. I probably would have bumped Dern or Bale for him.

Also agree on Hanks. I'd watch Saving Mr. Banks again, wouldn't watch CP again.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 03-03-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #27
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To each their own. I disagree. The last five minutes of Captain Phillips is perhaps the finest acting within a moment I have seen in years.

That's 5 minutes. In a 2.5 hour movie. Bale completely inhabited his character for the entire length of the movie. His performance may not have had the 'high' that Hanks' in shocked Phillips did, but it was more consistently high quality.

I think people are overrated Hanks' performance based on 5 minutes at the end.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #28
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Did not see Blanchett, but by all accounts, she killed it, and the clips they showed of her were pretty impressive. Amy Adams in Hustle was my pick of what I saw.

Blanchett was indeed fantastic! I was somewhat surprised Blue Jasmine didn't get nominated for Best Picture as it was a fantastic film led by incredible performances by Blanchett and Hawkins. Blanchett was absolutely perfect in the role of someone whose entire world feel apart and was having a mental break in trying to put the pieces together.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 03-03-2014 at 10:39 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #29
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

on the bp nominees Ihave seen... (Nebraska and Wolf are still on the to be seen list.)
1. Her
2. Gravity
3. American Hustle
4. 12 Years A Slave
5. Philomena
6. Dallas Buyers Club
7. Captain Phillips
Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #30
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I thought and still think that Gravity was the best movie of the year last year. But 12 Years A Slave was terrific and #2 on my list of movies from 2013, so I am definitely not disappointed with the choice.

I always seem to lose out, as it is rare that the movie I think was the best in a given year is actually given the Best Picture oscar.

Last year, I had Zero Dark Thirty, which lost to Argo (another very good movie).

In 2010, I thought both Inception and The Social Network were better than The King's Speech.

In 2007, I felt Michael Clayton was better than There Will Be Blood (a movie that gets tons of love here; it's just too ugly for me).

Slumdog Millionaire in 2008 was the last movie I actively thought was the year's best actually won it, and before that, The Departed in 2006.

Some other ones over the years that frustrated me: Chicago over Gangs of New York, A Beautiful Mind over LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring, Amercian Beauty over The Sixth Sense (although I really do love American Beauty), Shakespeare In Love over Saving Private Ryan (I still kinda throw up in my mouth over that one), The English Patient over Fargo, and the one that goes way, way back for me, Forrest Gump (an admittedly great movie) over Pulp Fiction and The Shawshenk Redemption.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-03-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #31
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Blanchett was indeed fantastic! I was somewhat surprised Blue Jasmine didn't get nominated for Best Picture as it was a fantastic film led by incredible performances by Blanchett and Hawkins. Blanchett was absolutely perfect in the role of someone whose entire world feel apart and was having a mental break in trying to put the pieces together.

I thought that the Woody stuff had an impact a little... That's why Hawkins nom was a little surprising. I guess people have an easier time with his actors and actresses than giving him anything.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #32
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's 5 minutes. In a 2.5 hour movie. Bale completely inhabited his character for the entire length of the movie. His performance may not have had the 'high' that Hanks' in shocked Phillips did, but it was more consistently high quality.

I think people are overrated Hanks' performance based on 5 minutes at the end.

I guess it comes down to what you're looking for in a performance. I would agree that Hanks was his usual excellent self the rest of the movie, but not over the top awesome like many of the other candidates were. But I put a high value in being able to do something that sorta trumps the other performances, and that last scene really does it for me.

I think 2013 will go down as one of the more interesting years for movie-making in quite some time, because we had such a wealth of good movies, and different types of films which will each have their distinct fans.

I never saw Saving Mr. Banks, so I guess I need to see that.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #33
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I thought and still think that Gravity was the best movie of the year last year. But 12 Years A Slave was terrific and #2 on my list of movies from 2013, so I am definitely not disappointed with the choice.

I always seem to lose out, as it is rare that the movie I think was the best in a given year is actually given the Best Picture oscar.

Last year, I had Zero Dark Thirty, which lost to Argo (another very good movie).

In 2010, I thought both Inception and The Social Network were better than The King's Speech.

In 2007, I felt Michael Clayton was better than There Will Be Blood (a movie that gets tons of love here; it's just too ugly for me).

Slumdog Millionaire in 2008 was the last movie I actively thought was the year's best actually won it, and before that, The Departed in 2006.

Some other ones over the years that frustrated me: Chicago over Gangs of New York, A Beautiful Mind over LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring, Amercian Beauty over The Sixth Sense (although I really do love American Beauty), Shakespeare In Love over Saving Private Ryan (I still kinda throw up in my mouth over that one), The English Patient over Fargo, and the one that goes way, way back for me, Forrest Gump (an admittedly great movie) over Pulp Fiction and The Shawshenk Redemption.

I have similar luck with my best of a given year not in the Best Pic race. But of those in Sometimes I agree and sometimes I dont... The Last agreement is probably 2007 for No Coutry for Old Men... it is my second favorite of the year..( behind the Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford)

others that I was in disagreement with among the nominees...
Hugo over the Artist
Social Network over King's Speech
The Queen over the Departed
Good Night and Good Luck over Crash
The Pianist over Chicago
Everything over A Beautiful Mind...( My Fave is probably Fellowship of the Rings.. but Gosford Park is close)
Saving Private Ryan over Shakespeare in Love
and Quiz Show over Forrest Gump
Old 03-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #34
rowech
Pro Starter

I think people forget women get to vote for the Academy Awards. So many of those movies we all think are better are because they are "guy movies."

Last edited by rowech : 03-03-2014 at 10:57 AM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #35
sabotai
General Manager

Every year when the Academy Awards come on, I make the decision to make a concerted effort to watch more movies, especially the Oscar-potential films, so that I can have an informed opinion. Every year, I break that pledge. I didn't see any of the movies this year.

Even to date, I've only seen 2 of the best picture nominees from last year. Argo and Django Unchained. I was extremely underwhelmed by Argo. I know it's all subjective, but me thinking that movies was "just okay" has me less than thrilled to watch any of the others. In fact, looking over the last ten years, I still have a lot of catching up to do.

84th Awards - I've only seen Moneyball.
83rd Awards - Seen: Black Swan, Inception, Toy Story 3, The Social Network and The Fighter. (Social Network best of that bunch)
82nd Awards - Seen: The Hurt Locker, District 9 and Inglourious Bastards (Bastards best of that bunch)
81st Awards - Seen: Slumdog Millionaire and Benjamin Button (Slumdog better my about 57 miles)
80th Awards - No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood and Juno (Blood the best and it's not even close.....btw, "ugly" Chief!?! The cinematography was the 2nd best thing about that movie, behind DDL's performance! I just don't even know you anymore!! )
79th Awards - The Departed, Little Miss Sunshine, Letters from Iwo Jima (Departed the best)

But anyway, I have a lot of catching up to do.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #36
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I personally tend to be more forgiving of the voting for Best Picture, but sometimes I think they can make a silly choice. "Crash" for Best Picture was the most obvious one.

FWIW though, not only do I think "Shakespeare in Love" deserved the win over "Saving Private Ryan", SIL is arguably my choice for Best Picture of the 1990s (FTR, "There Will Be Blood" was my arguably choice for Best Picture of the 2000s).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 03-03-2014 at 11:20 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #37
RainMaker
General Manager

I didn't dig 12 Years a Slave all that much. I mean it was good for what it's supposed to be, but it's not "Best Picture". Felt more like something you'd see PBS put together (although more graphic). The storyline sucked and it played out more like torture porn mixed with a historical message than an actual movie.

Also the best movie I saw all year was Lone Survivor. Haven't seen all the best picture nominees, but it was better than the few I had seen.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #38
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I personally tend to be more forgiving of the voting for Best Picture, but sometimes I think they can make a silly choice. "Crash" for Best Picture was the most obvious one.

FWIW though, not only do I think "Shakespeare in Love" deserved the win over "Saving Private Ryan", SIL is arguably my choice for Best Picture of the 1990s (FTR, "There Will Be Blood" was my arguably choice for Best Picture of the 2000s).

Clearly you and I have very different ideas of what makes a quality film, Imran.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #39
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
80th Awards - No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood and Juno (Blood the best and it's not even close.....btw, "ugly" Chief!?! The cinematography was the 2nd best thing about that movie, behind DDL's performance! I just don't even know you anymore!! )

But anyway, I have a lot of catching up to do.

I meant ugly from a human nature perspective. It was a very beautiful film, and DDL was incredible. Although as beautiful as the cinematography was, the stark aridness of the land contributed to my impression of the ugliness. Since I and $20 M or so others are more or less surrounded by a whole lot of land that looks like that, we have a special perspective on those landscapes.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #40
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
, SIL is arguably my choice for Best Picture of the 1990s

Sometimes, Imran, I swear I do not know what planet you are from.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #41
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

SIL gets a bum rap basically due to all the people butt hurt over the movie it beat. It never gets judged on its own merits - most people hate it without having watched it. It's an amazingly witty movie with some fantastic acting.

Same thing with Annie Hall. One of the greatest movies ever, but a bunch of folk are still pissed off it beat Star Wars.

If SIL came out a year early and ended up beating Titanic, Good Will Hunting, LA Confidential or a year later and ended up beating American Beauty, The Green Mile (and its better than all of them) - it would be remembered as a fantastic winner and judged on its own merits.

(FWIW, the movies I'd consider fighting it out for #2 in the 1990s are Pulp Fiction and Unforgiven; Shindler's List, Fargo, and LA Confidential, Good Will Hunting, Saving Private Ryan, and The Thin Red Line are right under those).