Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-07-2008, 12:05 AM   #201
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
There a limit on the number of players from one organization then?

Game doesn't set a limit, but I can watch it

- No team can lose more than 6 players in the entire draft.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-07-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:08 AM   #202
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh and lastly, not to harp on something else here, but, DC, did you get my offers in for this last sim? I couldn't help but notice that those two pitchers are targeted signed for $350K each, when I offered them over $2 M each, and not a single one of the ten or so FAs I asked you to put offers in for me signed with me, which is certainly possible, but unlikely. That suggests to me that maybe in the hassle of the new file and what not that you may have forgotten to put in my offers. If so, those are players are really could have used in my organization, and I bid fairly for their services.

If you did put in the offers and they just ignored them to go play with Hartford, guess there's nothing I can do about that except complain to Marcus about the weird foibles of his game, where rookie players will turn down $2 M, two year contracts for $350K one year deals.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:08 AM   #203
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
OOOOHHH S***! I get it. Same thing happened to me as Tell. My AAA team is gone-o. And every player on Plano is now apparently a FA! This is obviously a categorical disaster. I hope DC can fix this. What a weird error.

Yeah, I screwed it up big.

I do have a solution that would restore everything back to how it was, but I'd basically have to rig the FOOL Classic to get the same result as before. (Not necessarily the same scores, just the same champion)

Basically, I can go back to the .tar.gz file that we originally downloaded after the FTP switch, that'll give me the files as they were before...I got ridiculous and start deleting junk by accident without looking at the affiliations more closely.

The only real problem with it right now is trying to figure out who belongs to who, since the team names don't match with the major league affiliation (though I've figured out how to fix that for the future, because..it's a pain otherwise)

Sorry about this. Ugh.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:09 AM   #204
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Oh and lastly, not to harp on something else here, but, DC, did you get my offers in for this last sim? I couldn't help but notice that those two pitchers are targeted signed for $350K each, when I offered them over $2 M each, and not a single one of the ten or so FAs I asked you to put offers in for me signed with me, which is certainly possible, but unlikely. That suggests to me that maybe in the hassle of the new file and what not that you may have forgotten to put in my offers. If so, those are players are really could have used in my organization, and I bid fairly for their services.

If you did put in the offers and they just ignored them to go play with Hartford, guess there's nothing I can do about that except complain to Marcus about the weird foibles of his game, where rookie players will turn down $2 M, two year contracts for $350K one year deals.

I KNOW I did those right. Exactly how you wrote them up and everything.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:10 AM   #205
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Yeah, I screwed it up big.

I do have a solution that would restore everything back to how it was, but I'd basically have to rig the FOOL Classic to get the same result as before. (Not necessarily the same scores, just the same champion)

Basically, I can go back to the .tar.gz file that we originally downloaded after the FTP switch, that'll give me the files as they were before...I got ridiculous and start deleting junk by accident without looking at the affiliations more closely.

The only real problem with it right now is trying to figure out who belongs to who, since the team names don't match with the major league affiliation (though I've figured out how to fix that for the future, because..it's a pain otherwise)

Sorry about this. Ugh.

I wouldn't beat myself up over it. I understand this stuff isn't easy, and this game was just released last month, and probably has some bugs still to iron out.

Thanks as always for the effort!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:11 AM   #206
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I KNOW I did those right. Exactly how you wrote them up and everything.

Yeah, that's the weird thing. I saw the offers in the downloaded file. I don't get why those would be turned down.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:13 AM   #207
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Let's set some rules, shall we?

That works for me, so long as those organizations still have the same ability themselves to compete. There's a balance. Don't want to gut too many existing teams too much, but the new teams need to have talent, too. Not sure if the second one matters much, as those players will still be there after five rounds, BTW. But the first one sounds like a good, basic rule to go by.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:15 AM   #208
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
That works for me, so long as those organizations still have the same ability themselves to compete. There's a balance. Don't want to gut too many existing teams too much, but the new teams need to have talent, too. Not sure if the second one matters much, as those players will still be there after five rounds, BTW. But the first one sounds like a good, basic rule to go by.

Yeah and easier for me to account for. MLB rules in the expansion draft are too hard to implement anyway.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:27 AM   #209
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

My workaround will work. So everything will be restored to how it ought to be with your minor leagues with a new file. Sorry about that. The file isn't up yet tho.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-07-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:29 AM   #210
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

come on cheif you know that I have a class organization over here and they would glady take my 350 rather than your 2 million............ ootp is a total crap shoot as far as that goes, and does get frustrating........ Same thing happened to me with Boston and Ann Arbor early on in the year... Doesnt make a whole lot of sense.... How many years were your contracts for? I tried multi year deals and didnt get any the last time i did it, and went with one year deals here and landed them..... Just wondering if you did the same thing as i did before with the multi year contract offers

Last edited by muns : 07-07-2008 at 12:31 AM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:30 AM   #211
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
My workaround will work. So everything will be restored to how it ought to be with your minor leagues with a new file. Sorry about that. The file isn't up yet tho.

Its cool DC. Just glad we can get a easy fix. It happens to the best of us.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:32 AM   #212
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post

Well it's not quite perfect. I have to essentially throw the FOOL Classic replay in order to get the files back to uploadable condition. Maybe that's why St. Louis is getting banned, because they threw the FOOL Classic.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:32 AM   #213
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

- No team can lose more than 6 players in the entire draft.

I can handle six players. I thought i was gonna end up loosing a bit more than that with this draft.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:33 AM   #214
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Well it's not quite perfect. I have to essentially throw the FOOL Classic replay in order to get the files back to uploadable condition. Maybe that's why St. Louis is getting banned, because they threw the FOOL Classic.

The 2nd time around the overall result was the same. So that made it easier.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:33 AM   #215
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

Our version of the blacksox!!!!!
Old 07-07-2008, 12:49 AM   #216
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
come on cheif you know that I have a class organization over here and they would glady take my 350 rather than your 2 million............ ootp is a total crap shoot as far as that goes, and does get frustrating........ Same thing happened to me with Boston and Ann Arbor early on in the year... Doesnt make a whole lot of sense.... How many years were your contracts for? I tried multi year deals and didnt get any the last time i did it, and went with one year deals here and landed them..... Just wondering if you did the same thing as i did before with the multi year contract offers

They were multi-year. If there is a bug that has them not considering those, I think we should have that out there. I definitely would have simply dropped the second years had I known that.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:53 AM   #217
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is packing now and should be uploaded....well, when it's done. I'm going to bed.

I didn't attempt to recreate signings from the period over the FOOL Classic, but the overall result of the Classic was the same -- all simmed by the AI (5 games to 3 for New York) and I folded St. George and St. Louis, added St. Petersburg and Seattle again. I didn't delete any minor league affiliates, so everything should be good in that regard and I looked and it looked like things were fine.

The only real difference is the date of the file will be September 29, 1965, since I didn't sim more than a day after the FOOL Classic before setting up expansion.

At least I know how to do this now without screwing it up, if we ever expand down the road.

File is 12.59 MB and is uploading now. I'd say give it 15 minutes. It's already at 25% and counting, as I didn't bother to include any of the files from the past season, since really, this was just a clerical error file more than anything else, since we already know what happened with the Classic and all.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-07-2008 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:54 AM   #218
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
They were multi-year. If there is a bug that has them not considering those, I think we should have that out there. I definitely would have simply dropped the second years had I known that.

I think in the past, people complained that FAs would always sign with the team that gave them the most money, rather than other factors. This might be some code attempting to address that. Just my thought...
Old 07-07-2008, 12:59 AM   #219
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think in the past, people complained that FAs would always sign with the team that gave them the most money, rather than other factors. This might be some code attempting to address that. Just my thought...

Hmm, that is disappointing then, because money is a huge factor to just ignore like that.

Sometimes the vocal minority is wrong, and you have to look at what's going on in real life if that is what you're trying to at least somewhat model. Money is not the only factor--but it's extremely rare that a player would take 1/6 of the money he is being offered elsewhere to go to a particular team.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:03 AM   #220
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
File is packing now and should be uploaded....well, when it's done. I'm going to bed.

I didn't attempt to recreate signings from the period over the FOOL Classic, but the overall result of the Classic was the same -- all simmed by the AI (5 games to 3 for New York) and I folded St. George and St. Louis, added St. Petersburg and Seattle again. I didn't delete any minor league affiliates, so everything should be good in that regard and I looked and it looked like things were fine.

The only real difference is the date of the file will be September 29, 1965, since I didn't sim more than a day after the FOOL Classic before setting up expansion.

At least I know how to do this now without screwing it up, if we ever expand down the road.

File is 12.59 MB and is uploading now. I'd say give it 15 minutes. It's already at 25% and counting, as I didn't bother to include any of the files from the past season, since really, this was just a clerical error file more than anything else, since we already know what happened with the Classic and all.

Potential problem. It seems my Short A and Rookie league teams were deleted, I am guessing someone elses where as well because I see 3 teams in Short A with no team affiliation. So all of my players on those teams are now in free agency, including some prospects I like and had looked to protect in the expansion draft.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #221
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Hmm, that is disappointing then, because money is a huge factor to just ignore like that.

Sometimes the vocal minority is wrong, and you have to look at what's going on in real life if that is what you're trying to at least somewhat model. Money is not the only factor--but it's extremely rare that a player would take 1/6 of the money he is being offered elsewhere to go to a particular team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Holy crap. This sucks.

I offered William Davis $10.9M for one year to be my exemption. He signed with Valdosta for $1.39M for one year. WTF?

I am scared to look at everyone else I offered. But I know I offered Roberto Gomez more than he signed for with Valdosta as well. This really sucks.

And I didn't mess up the export. I have messages in-game where Davis confirms my 10.9M offer. He then updates me that he's leaning toward Ann Arbor's "$0 over 0 years" contract which I assume was a minor league deal. Finally, he signs with Valdosta.

Tell me about it. There is no way a player would take 1/8 the money. Unless he has a dying child at home and signs with the home team. Maybe.

This is my first experience with OOTP multiplayer, and to be honest with you this has the real potential to ruin it. What is the point of carefully analyzing my budget and determining how much I'll have available for free agents compared to other teams if it completely doesn't matter how much money I'm going to offer them? Especially in a league like this one where the entire point is offseason free agent moves.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #222
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Potential problem. It seems my Short A and Rookie league teams were deleted, I am guessing someone elses where as well because I see 3 teams in Short A with no team affiliation. So all of my players on those teams are now in free agency, including some prospects I like and had looked to protect in the expansion draft.

im guessing welll have another file to do
Old 07-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #223
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post

You downloaded the newest file marked September 29th? I fixed the problem last night. I had to re-run the file from a previous backup to get things back to where they were, but you should just download the file that's out on the server now and you should be okay.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #224
Huckleberry
College Starter

By the way, I'm not saying there aren't good reasons for a free agent to take less money. Just not 1/6 or 1/8 level money. Taking 90% of the best offer to play on a better team or 80% to be on a good team with an opening at his position make sense. But not this.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #225
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Tell me about it. There is no way a player would take 1/8 the money. Unless he has a dying child at home and signs with the home team. Maybe.

This is my first experience with OOTP multiplayer, and to be honest with you this has the real potential to ruin it. What is the point of carefully analyzing my budget and determining how much I'll have available for free agents compared to other teams if it completely doesn't matter how much money I'm going to offer them? Especially in a league like this one where the entire point is offseason free agent moves.

I think it's only been that way for rookies. And I'd say that we should just continue to assess it and if it fails to serve our needs, consider other ways to "level the playing field" a bit.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #226
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You downloaded the newest file marked September 29th? I fixed the problem last night. I had to re-run the file from a previous backup to get things back to where they were, but you should just download the file that's out on the server now and you should be okay.

I guess not. I went to bed with the files downloading, guess I missed the newest, oops. Downloading now. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #227
gstelmack
Pro Starter

DC, RF Steve Williams is unprotected if you'd like him back. Please, you are very welcome to sign him again. No really, we know how much you liked him and were sad to see him go, so we're more than willing to let you have him back. We insist.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #228
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
DC, RF Steve Williams is unprotected if you'd like him back. Please, you are very welcome to sign him again. No really, we know how much you liked him and were sad to see him go, so we're more than willing to let you have him back. We insist.

hahahaha...awesome.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:50 AM   #229
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Is the expansion draft being held before the date moved forward any further? Just trying to make sure I don't need protection list spots for future FA signees.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:56 AM   #230
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Is the expansion draft being held before the date moved forward any further? Just trying to make sure I don't need protection list spots for future FA signees.

The expansion draft will take place the next day in-game, so...no worries about free agents and such. Tonight's sim will conduct the draft and sim to the start of Free Agency. Then everything else will be back to normal.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #231
muns
Pro Starter

I tell you what, doing this list sucks cause the way it was designed you cant sort your guys (or am i missing something). ive gone over my list like 5 times and each time found someone i left off cause i cant tell who is where. Its really annoying

Last edited by muns : 07-07-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #232
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Yeah, it's not the best.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #233
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The St. Louis and St. George exiles are in the FA pool. They're fair game from this point, as well.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #234
Huckleberry
College Starter

Okay, I'm confused. Missing Friday-now because of the adaptor death hasn't helped. Please let me know if the below is correct on what I need to do before tonight's sim:
  1. Make offers to free agents
  2. Submit protected list for expansion draft (# of players?)
  3. That's it

Old 07-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #235
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Okay, I'm confused. Missing Friday-now because of the adaptor death hasn't helped. Please let me know if the below is correct on what I need to do before tonight's sim:
  1. Make offers to free agents
  2. Submit protected list for expansion draft (# of players?)
  3. That's it

That's it, indeed. I'd add "make offers to any of your current players who might becoming free agents that you want to keep before it's too late.

The protection list for the expansion draft is 30 players and no team can lose more than 6 players.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #236
muns
Pro Starter

up loaded the file.... Tonight should be really really interesting. Cap will come into play for the first time I would think.

Looking forward to what the new expansion teams with the draft and in the FA market as well, as they got the cap room to splurge if they want to. Another team to keep an eye on is Chicago as they have all kinds of money to burn.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #237
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
up loaded the file.... Tonight should be really really interesting. Cap will come into play for the first time I would think.

Looking forward to what the new expansion teams with the draft and in the FA market as well, as they got the cap room to splurge if they want to. Another team to keep an eye on is Chicago as they have all kinds of money to burn.

With trying to resign some of my guys, mainly Andres Aguilera who wants 12 mil or so, I am pretty much up against the cap with the offers I have in on FA's already on the market. I didn't even get to finish making offers I wanted to.

I should get more money after the next day or two though I hope.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #238
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Just got home from Chicago. Gonna eat, then I'll download exports and get this show on the road. Thanks, as usual, for your patience.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #239
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I've got the exports in. Ready to begin the expansion draft.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:36 PM   #240
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've got the exports in. Ready to begin the expansion draft.

Should be interesting to check out. I didn't see. Are you taking first choice, or is the AI going first?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:38 PM   #241
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Should be interesting to check out. I didn't see. Are you taking first choice, or is the AI going first?

AI is going first. I'll do a running draft of it on a separate thread. For the fun of it, of course.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:41 PM   #242
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
AI is going first. I'll do a running draft of it on a separate thread. For the fun of it, of course.

Awesome!