Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-11-2015, 11:37 PM   #3301
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
McGregor was getting beat on the ground, but he hit Mendes with a power shot right before the end of the 2nd round, and got the TKO.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:37 PM   #3302
PilotMan
Head Coach

Or not, but he did lay out a ton of damage. I'm guessing the cardio just wasn't there.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:40 PM   #3303
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

That the MMA version of the called shot? Dana White kept saying that Conor tried to get UFC to bet him 3 million on a 2nd round KO of Mendes.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:43 PM   #3304
PilotMan
Head Coach

I still stay that all around, Mendes is the more talented fighter, the short camp did not help him here.

Like Steam?

Old 07-12-2015, 01:35 AM   #3305
BYU 14
Coordinator

He is definitely more well rounded than McGregor, but Conor is better on his feet, utilizes angles and distance very well. I will say we can confirm that McGregor is one tough SOB though, his chin got tested a couple of times and he fought through it and he did a lot of subtle stuff on the ground that kept him from taking too much damage until he could scramble. I was impressed with him tonight as I thought Mendes was a much more dangerous matchup style wise than Aldo for him.

Big props to Mendes for taking the fight on two weeks notice, it speaks highly of him as a fighter who stays in shape, but it was definitely a factor. One of the things camp does is condition you to the punishment you will take in a fight and I think that came into play when he was getting hurt from the body shots early on.

Lawlor and McDonald was a helluva fight and I am very impressed with how Robbie has evolved in his striking over the years. Very composed now, much less wasted movement and still some of the heaviest hands in the game.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:42 AM   #3306
Suicane75
Coordinator

People need to stop selling McGregor short. There are some men absolutely built to fight, and I think he's a very rare cat. He's never going to submit, he may get knocked out, but it's going to take an extremely powerful stand up game to do it, and until he loses whatever the fuck insanity that he has inside of him, it's going to be nearly impossible for even the best wrestler to lay and pray for 5 rounds because he's going to blitzkrieg every time it gets back to the feet.

If the Aldo fight happens, it's going to be an absolute war.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:30 PM   #3307
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Really interested to see what happens tonight.
On talent alone this probably isnt a top 5 challenge to date for Rousey.

Yet it has a strange feel for me.
Fighting a Brazillian in Brazil, despite the crowd so far be very pro-Rousey.
Ronda getting angry and trying to hurt not win because of the "suicide" angle. If she tries to stretch it out to inflict pain like she says she increases the risk of getting caught by one of Bethe's haymakers.
Small side story but Piper passing just seems like an Omen givent he connection and the Rowdy monicker.

In think and expect Rousey to win...but with BC getting +850 right now I just played $250 on Bethe just in case.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:37 PM   #3308
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I saw the thread get bumped & thought maybe the Rousey fight was already over

Old 08-01-2015, 07:37 PM   #3309
Suicane75
Coordinator

I think Ronda hurts her pretty good, tells Rogan she's all out of bubble gum and starts getting ready for Tate again.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:14 PM   #3310
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Hopefully this won't sound too offensive/misogynistic:

I feel like a lot of the top women fighters are still hampered by culture more than their talent, and Ronda's ability to ignore that influence (probably thanks to her mom kicking her ass on a daily basis since birth) is one of her biggest advantages.

A while ago I was reading an article on the power of culture, and how it can override even the most powerful instincts in people. The example used in the article was based on being shot with a gun: apparently the force of a bullet will not knock you over, but the great majority of people fall on their butts after being shot due to the cultural influence of movies and TV telling you you're SUPPOSED to fall down.

In terms of women's MMA, it seems like there's like some cultural remnant of being feminine/dainty/whatever that has been beaten into most women's minds for so long that they can't be truly 100% vicious, regardless of amount of training or conditioning they put in. Miesha Tate personifies this for me.....and she's actually been in some long and bloody wars, relative to lots of the women fighters out there....it just feels like she's putting in 97%. I always get the feeling she's holding some tiny sliver back.

I bring this up in this particular case because Correia does seem vicious, and I think that gives her an edge that Rousey hasn't seen yet, and could result in an awesome fight. Unfortunately, she's not as technical or talented as Ronda, so the end result will probably still be the same.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #3311
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Have been anti Rousey for a while but I want her to win big tonight.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #3312
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I apologize to anyone that bought this tonight. First one in a while that I got. Seems that the cards I order end up sucking. That is why I stopped getting them.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:11 PM   #3313
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Silva covered +190. Nothing left to watch for me unless some tears a limb off someone in the main event
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #3314
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Did they change sponsorship rules? I see the same shorts and tee shirts for everyone.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:56 PM   #3315
digamma
Torchbearer

UFC signed a deal with Reebok.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:57 PM   #3316
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Nice opening round. Thought shogun was done, nice job of surviving the storm.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:40 AM   #3318
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

She out punched the brawler.
Hats off. One of the most dominant competitors of my life time, in very select company in that regard.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:56 AM   #3319
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm gonna suggest the Rousey's next opponent try to avoid pissing her off before the fight.

Or bring a gun to the ring.

Or both.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:22 AM   #3320
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm gonna suggest the Rousey's next opponent try to avoid pissing her off before the fight.

Or bring a gun to the ring.

Or both.

Basically, Rousey is like the Bride after the 88's fight:

Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (10/12) Movie CLIP - Defeating Johnny Mo (2003) HD - YouTube

"Those of you lucky enough to still have your lives.. take them with you! However... leave the limbs you've lost. They belong to me now."
Old 08-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #3322
molson
General Manager

I watched Rousey/Tate II again on Fox Sports 1 in the leadup to UFC 190, and after watching the ridiculousness of Rousey's last 4 fights, I had forgotten how competitive Tate was in that fight. She lasted 11 minutes, and landed some good punches in round 1, and escaped an armbar at one point. Rousey actually looked tired on the stool between rounds.

So I think Tate is still, by far, Rousey's best competition in the division. She's the only one who can take Rousey into the deeper waters of later rounds, she's certainly more experienced in those kinds of fights, and she's familiar with Rousey and might not be as scared and intimidated as these other women. I don't think she'd win, but I think she'll be underrated going into the third fight.

Last edited by molson : 08-03-2015 at 05:14 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:43 AM   #3323
PilotMan
Head Coach

So the rumor is that Fedor is coming to the UFC. After beatings he took before he retired I can't say that there's much luster on that deal at all. Not compared to what it would have been if he'd have fought Couture back in the day.

Like Steam?

Old 08-31-2015, 11:53 AM   #3324
molson
General Manager

It's definitely not the big deal it would have been years ago, but considering that Frank Mir, Andrei Arlovski, and Josh Barnett are still among the top-ranked UFC heavyweights, Fedor is not a stretch at all.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #3325
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

How was the first fight from the main card scored 29-29 by a judge?
Old 11-07-2015, 12:38 AM   #3327
molson
General Manager

Shamrock v. Gracie for Bellator in February. 23 years after their first fight at UFC 1. They'll be a combined 101 years old by then. It's just wrong, and dangerous, but I'll watch and I'm sure it will do great ratings.

On the same show, Kimbo Slice v. some street fighter named "Dada 5000". Who I guess is kind of like Kimbo, except with less MMA polish.

This is after the New Year's Eve show which will have an 8-man tournament, Fedor, and the MMA debut of former TNA wrestler Lei'D Tapa against some other huge woman - I guess that's a women's heavyweight fight.

I am amused and entertained by Bellator's antics.

Last edited by molson : 11-07-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:11 AM   #3328
tarcone
Coordinator

Watched tonight. Had a local kid fighting. He lost in a split decision. I was disappointed.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:57 PM   #3329
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Belfort-Henderson was boring as hell for the first two minutes. They just walked around staring each other down. Then out of nowhere Belfort landed a kick flush to Henderson's head, and a couple of punches later it was over.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:08 AM   #3330
PilotMan
Head Coach

I think that was a TRT retirement match.

Like Steam?

Old 11-08-2015, 06:55 AM   #3331
Dutch
"Dutch"

I planned on watching it but fell asleep before the first match and woke up at 5 this morning. I'm getting old...
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:33 AM   #3332
Dutch
"Dutch"

Speaking of getting old...

GSP....should he return and risk getting destroyed in a fight or should he stay retired with his legacy fully intact?

Freddie Roach believes Georges St-Pierre will return to the UFC - MMA Fighting
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:21 PM   #3333
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Who is in for tonight?
Old 11-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #3334
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Who is in for tonight?
Watching at a bar between football games... Can't imagine it'll be worth paying for at a house.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:37 PM   #3335
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Bit the bullet and ordered. Likewise I doubt I will think it a good purchase tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:50 PM   #3336
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'm excited for the main fight like everybody else, but the rest of the card doesn't look to be worth $50 on paper.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:09 PM   #3337
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

My son likes Struder and Hall v Whitaker has been as entertaining as I'd hoped.

Plus a bigfoot sighting pending....meh I've blown $60 on less
Old 11-14-2015, 10:19 PM   #3338
PilotMan
Head Coach

I feel bad for Holm. She is about 2 years ahead of her moment. Only because Rousey has beaten everyone else. There isn't a female fighter in the UFC, maybe even the world, who could make it a fight Rousey. She was vulnerable a couple years ago, but not anymore. Her stand up is tight and powerful, her jiu-jitsu is very technical, her judo is out of sight. The UFC had to pimp this fight, but it's such a non event for me I'm not even watching.

Like Steam?

Old 11-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #3339
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Pilot, I agree but...

If you've watched Rousey lately she has been a bit wil rushing in, she hasn't yet faced a striker who could make her pay. Holly COULD, but I suspect shell be tapping to an arm bar in rd 1.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:54 PM   #3340
PilotMan
Head Coach

She comes in but she hasn't been reckless. Holm will want to stay outside against her. She'll need the space, but Rousey will have to close. It'll be fast, but as soon as Rousey has a hold of her with both hands, it'll be over.

Like Steam?

Old 11-14-2015, 11:03 PM   #3341
spleen1015
Coordinator

Anyone know a good live blog?
Old 11-14-2015, 11:32 PM   #3342
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Hasn't started yet, fwiw.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:34 PM   #3343
PilotMan
Head Coach

Alright, I lied. I need to go to bed, but I figure this will be quick so I just turned it on.

Like Steam?

Old 11-14-2015, 11:49 PM   #3344
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Holly clrearlywins rd 1.
She caught rowdy 8-10 times flush and has her bleeding.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:49 PM   #3345
cartman
Death Herald

Going to round 2! I'm not so sure that Holm didn't win the round.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:49 PM   #3346
PilotMan
Head Coach

Nice round. I hope we see more of the same. Rousey is tired already. I'm impressed with Holm's ability to grapple so far. Joe is right on in his evaluation.

Like Steam?

Old 11-14-2015, 11:50 PM   #3347
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Rowdy knocked out in second round
Old 11-14-2015, 11:51 PM   #3348
cartman
Death Herald

DOUGLAS BEATS TYSON
Old 11-14-2015, 11:51 PM   #3349
PilotMan
Head Coach

HOly shit that was awesome

Like Steam?

Old 11-14-2015, 11:53 PM   #3350
JonInMiddleGA