Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #51
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post
I guess I was under the assumption that it would not cause problems if an owner did not submit their picks. My thinking is that it would bring more attention to the allstar game and the actual starters then there is currently because I did not know for sure we even had one until after reading some of the previews.

Well if I did it, I'd esentially let the game choose who the All-Stars were and maybe do a poll vote for say, the last player on each team or something like real life. I wouldn't want to be held up. It's not a bad idea and it would surely be great for those of us who pay attention, because well...this league doesn't really give you time to savour your players, as much as you would with other leagues. You get attached to them over years, rather than through them.

I prefer our model, btw. Just sayin'...

It wouldn't be this year since the schedule is set and that can only be changed in the pre-season, but it's something we could surely look into.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-11-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #52
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post
I guess I was under the assumption that it would not cause problems if an owner did not submit their picks. My thinking is that it would bring more attention to the allstar game and the actual starters then there is currently because I did not know for sure we even had one until after reading some of the previews.

Your totally right, on both accounts as it shouldnt cause a problem and it would bring more attention to the game and selections. However then you my run into the problem of 5 guys picking the all star teams and may become loaded with guys from their own teams (cause nobody would ever do that right

just playing the devils advocate here.

Last edited by muns : 07-11-2008 at 12:11 PM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #53
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Your totally right, on both accounts as it shouldnt cause a problem and it would bring more attention to the game and selections. However then you my run into the problem of 5 guys picking the all star teams and may become loaded with guys from their own teams (cause nobody would ever do that right

just playing the devils advocate here.

I would let the AI do it. I would only let you all vote on the "last player" from each league to go in. Only thing I'd change is the timing.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #54
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Well if I did it, I'd esentially let the game choose who the All-Stars were and maybe do a poll vote for say, the last player on each team or something like real life. I wouldn't want to be held up. It's not a bad idea and it would surely be great for those of us who pay attention, because well...this league doesn't really give you time to savour your players, as much as you would with other leagues. You get attached to them over years, rather than through them.

I prefer our model, btw. Just sayin'...

It wouldn't be this year since the schedule is set and that can only be changed in the pre-season, but it's something we could surely look into.

That is cool, I just like the idea of the allstar game coming into the picture more. I do agree that some owners may not be able to be subjective on who should be selected to the game.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #55
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

CHICAGO COMETS
1965: 62-92, 8th Place
After watching their big city brethen in New York claim their first title, Chicago decided to breathe some life into their franchise for arguably the first time...ever.

They made two huge acquisitions in Ben Gibbs who came over via St. Petersburg after he was taken in the expansion draft from Colorado. He hit 19 HRs and 84 RBI last year and will give the Comets a cleanup presence they've needed for a long time.

If that wasn't enough catcher Stanford Jones (.283/17 HR/70 RBI) was given a new teammate in the form of center fielder Dave Myers who came over from Charleston at the winter trade deadline. He hit .284 last year with 20 HRs and 79 RBI and is a former MVP and Best Nine winner at his position. The three-time all-star gives the Comets middle of the order instant credibility.

Simply put, the Comets are just grossly improved on the offensive side.

Pitching is where things are a little thin. The ace of the staff is 20-game loser last year (9-20, 4.42 ERA, 175 K) Mark Sloan, to go with Cullen Mitchell (3-5 in Baltimore) who came over in a huge trade from St. Petersburg along with Myers via Baltimore and you have to wonder who will really step up in their pitching staff to produce wins night in and night out.

Still, the Comets are going to put what amounts of a much better ballclub than they've ever put on the field this year. That's a huge starting point for any team.

Prediction: 7th place
Old 07-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #56
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

SEATTLE SUPERSONICS
Expansion Team
Seattle is an expansion team in name only. When you look at their lineup, it's full of names that have been doing it at high levels. The Sonics boast three 20+ homer run hitters in Clay Darby (.282/22 HR/79 RBI), Wendell Evans (.264/21/87) and Don Roberts. (.245/20/64) Four of the team's eight position starters are former all-stars including catcher Ralph Nicholson (.323 BA) who came over from St. Louis as a free agent signing a blockbuster deal worth over $49 million for five years.

So to go with that offensive juggernaut that has to be the most experienced from 1-6 of any team in the FOOL?

Their pitching staff is untested and unproven. Derek Chandler is leading the onslaught, despite never having started a game at the major league level. The former St. Louis Terrier hopes the shine of having played for the best team to ever take the field will give him the experience necessary to lead a team at the precious age of 24. Another youngster, Andrew Dinsdale (12-13, 3.38 ERA) spent the past three years in LBI before getting tapped in the expansion draft and the Sonics will rely on him to strike out lots of batters (244 K last year)

There are only three players on the Seattle roster who started any games in the majors last year and closer Ethan Sims (3-8, 2 SV 3.46 ERA) didn't serve in a similar role last year in St. George, but hopes he's ready.

So the storyline in Seattle is simple. The offense is major league, the pitching staff looks like you'd expect an expansion staff to look. As a result, the Sonics won't be booming past anyone this year. But they will be a lot of fun to watch, if nothing else. At least when they're up to bat...

Prediction: 6th Place
Old 07-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #57
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

ST. PETERSBURG PELICANS
Expansion Team

Well, what to say about the expansion Pelicans? They're built like you'd expect a DC-led team to be built. They've got strong pitching on the front end. But is it really strong? James Lawrence (18-7, 128 K) and Sandy Dunn (15-10, 132k) come over from St. Louis, but it remains to be seen if they can recreate the magic that made the Gateway City misty-eyed for a half decade.

Ed Kennedy won 15 games on a bad St. George team and Bob Halpin came over from Chicago after going 11-16 last year, but with 17 quality starts.

Closer Carlos Medina is another St. Louis refugee, coupled with a few of the other minor leaguers who were able to make the cut, since St. Petersburg acquired the relatively tame farm system of the Terriers when they exited stage left.

On the offensive side, the question marks abound. Only one other team in all of FOOL -- Boston -- has a current lineup with eight guys who had 10+ home runs last year. St. Petersburg has depth and that might be the ticket to their success this season.

But you have to look at their roster and wonder where all of the pieces com together. Free agent signee John Donovan comes over from Baltimore where he hit 28 HRs last year and the Pelican faithful hope he can have a breakout year.

Raleigh Wildridge (.296/18/87) came over from Texas and is already a fan favourite. He'll hit cleanup and will be protected in the lineup by winter deadline acquisition Rick Inman (.298/17/63) who should factor extremely well if he adjusts to the new surroundings in Tampa, after years in Charleston.

Jake Brewer (.293/11 HR/52 RBI/53 steals) continues the trend of former Terriers decamping in Terrier country.

The storyline here is a relatively simple one. In a wide open race, the Pelicans could factor as well as anyone, but you have to think that with their lack of cohesion and definitive star quality, that it might be difficult for them to really stand out in what amounts to the most competitive Republic League race that we'll ever see.

Still, they might win the prize for being one of the most balanced teams on both sides of the ball. But they don't give out pennants for that.

Prediction: 5th Place
Old 07-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #58
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I've retired anyone who'd ever played a major league game in FOOL who was a free agent and then deleted the rest of them, because there 3000+ players who were there from the old feeders dump. It slows down simming a lot and since they were never going to get signed anyway, the whole thing just made accounts for free agents that much more difficult.

If they will be missed, my apologies in advance.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #59
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ouch, picked last by DC. I finished tied for first in the preseason though, after two straight years of finishing dead last....so maybe that tells me nothing.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #60
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Trust me, I know NOTHING. It's far more likely that St. Petersburg will finish last.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #61
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Well, it's game time. Also, the Baltimore Gothams became the Baltimore Terrapins this year. I also took the liberty of changing Ann Arbor's cap logo to an actual Wolverine. Figured the new duds might get them some luck. But if doesn't work, don't blame me.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-12-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:35 AM   #62
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Seattle won their first game in franchise history, a 9-8 victory over Valdosta.
Ralph Nicholson had the first hit in Sonics history.
Greg Porter had the first home run in Sonics history.
Ethan Sims got the first win in Sonics history.

St. Petersburg lost their first game in franchise history, a 4-1 loss to Texas.
Rick Inman logged the first hit in Pelicans history.
John Donovan hit the first home run in Pelicans history.

Just wanted to note the occasion. Let's carry on.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #63
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Colorado started the season 5-0.

STANDINGS AS OF MAY 1, 1966
----
Code:
Continental League Standings W L PCT GB Baltimore Terrapins 20 10 .667 - New York Highlanders 19 11 .633 1.0 Hartford Harpooners 19 13 .594 2.0 Brooklyn Brownstones 16 16 .500 5.0 Ann Arbor Wolverines 15 16 .484 5.5 Boston Settlers 13 17 .433 7.0 Charleston Chew 12 19 .387 8.5 Long Beach Island Atlantics 9 21 .300 11.0 Republic League Standings W L PCT GB St. Petersburg Pelicans 19 13 .594 - Texas Copperheads 17 13 .567 1.0 Valdosta Peanuts 16 14 .533 2.0 Seattle Supersonics 16 15 .516 2.5 Colorado Rancheros 15 15 .500 3.0 Rio Grande Roadrunners 15 17 .469 4.0 Chicago Comets 13 18 .419 5.5 El Paso Alligators 12 18 .400 6.0

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-12-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #64
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

NOTES AS OF JUNE 1, 1966.

Theo Reid of Ann Arbor leads the FOOL in batting at .370

Juan Rodriguez of Ann Arbor and Craig Thomas of El Paso leads the FOOL in home runs with 18

Fernando Spindola of New York leads the FOOL in RBI with 58 and is on pace for 151.

Jeremy O'Herlihy of Hartford has 41 stolen bases. Mike Tomlinson of New York has 38. The guy who is third has 17. Clearly, they're in a league of their own.
O'Herlihy set the FOOL record with 85 last year and is on pace to break that this year (on pace for 105)

Steve Dooley of New York leads the league with 9 wins, six other guys have 8.

Jose Medina of Rio Grande leads the league in ERA with a 2.08 ERA.

Gabe Prado of Hartford has 103 strikeouts.

Carlos Medina of St. Pete already has 20 saves and is on pace for 51, which would break Orlando Diaz all-time record of 48.

Standings to follow.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-12-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #65
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

June 1, 1966
---
STANDINGS
----
CONTINENTAL LEAGUE
---
New York (36-23) --
Brooklyn (36-24) 1/2 GB
Hartford (34-26) 2 1/2 GB
Baltimore Terrapins (31-28) 5 GB
Ann Arbor Wolverines (30-29) 6 GB
Boston Settlers (28-31) 8 GB
Charleston Chew (22-38) 14.5 GB
LBI Atlantics (20-38) 15.5 GB

REPUBLIC LEAGUE
---------------
St. Petersburg Pelicans 40-20 --
Texas Copperheads 32-26 7 GB
Colorado Rancheros 31-28 8.5 GB
Valdosta Peanuts 29-30 10.5 GB
Rio Grande Roadrunners 28-32 12 GB
Seattle Supersonics 28-32 12 GB
El Paso Alligators 27-32 12.5 GB
Chicago Comets 22-37 17.5 GB
Old 07-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #66
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm going to do an All-Star game selection show. Because well..why not?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #67
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Here's the standings the day before the all-star break. Next, I'll do an all-star game selection show.

JUNE 25, 1966
STANDINGS

----
CONTINENTAL LEAGUE
----
Brooklyn 49-33
Hartford 48-33 .5 GB
New York 47-34 1.5 GB
Ann Arbor 46-35 2.5 GB
Boston 39-41 9 GB
Baltimore 37-44 11.5 GB
Charleston 31-51 18 GB
Long Beach Island 27-53 21 GB

REPUBLIC LEAGUE

-----
St. Petersburg 50-31 --
Texas 44-36 5.5 GB
Colorado 43-38 7 GB
Rio Grande 42-40 8.5 GB
Valdosta 40-41 10 GB
Seattle 38-44 12.5 GB
El Paso 36-44 13.5 GB
Chicago 31-50 19 GB
Old 07-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #68
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

FOOLtv to make debut at All-Star Game

ST. LOUIS -- FOOL announced today from league headquarters that it would be unveiling its own network called FOOLtv.

The new network would broadcast special events like the FOOL All-Star Game and FOOL Classic, which were previous broadcast on network television. The network would also show replays of games from the entire season, so fans can enjoy FOOL all throughout the year.

"We're really delighted to be able to do this. The owners are on board, the fans are excited. We believe its the time to take the plunge."

The new network will result in an extra $5 million in media revenue to each FOOL franchise starting in 1967, raising media money to just over $30 million.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-12-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #69
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Welcome to the FOOLtv All-Star Selection Show! I'm George Davis and I'm here with my partner three-time Best Nine award winner at catcher and the guy with more home runs than any other retired FOOL player at the moment, former Valdosta star Will Scott!

"Thanks George, it's good to be here."

We're here to recognize the biggest and brightest stars that the Front Office Offseason League has to offer!

Without further ado, let's get this show on the road, then.

First up, we're going to start with the catcher position!

This is a position near and dear to your heart, huh, Will? So why you don't do the honors here?

"Well, what makes an all-star catcher? It's the right balance of being able to call a great game, with the ability to hit well and make great decisions on the field. It's not accident that so many catchers become managers."

The Continental League's starter at catcher is Hideaki Tanaka of the New York Highlanders!

He was the 1965 MVP and Hitter of the Year in the CL and he'll be making his sixth all-star appearance this year.

"This guy is shaping up to become a hall of famer, no?"

Yeah, you'd have to think so. He's hitting .360 so far this year, with a slugging percentage of .614 and an on base percentage of .442. He has 12 homers and 55 RBI for the third place Highlanders.

Over in the Republic League, the starter is El Paso catcher Felipe Polanco! He's hitting .271 with 14 homers and 43 RBI. He's making his second all-star appearance of his career.

Next, we'll tackle the first baseman.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-12-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:30 PM   #70
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

At first base, in the Republic League, the starter is going to be Riley Hollis of El Paso!

This kid is the real. deal. He's hitting .283 with 12 homers and 61 RBI in his rookie year. We were expecting great things from him this year and he's done nothing but deliver! He's got to be a big favorite for Rookie of the Year over in the RL this year.

In the Continental, the starter at first base is none other than Andy Nolan of the Hartford Harpooners. He's having another solid year, hitting .316 with 16 homers and 68 RBI. This is his first all-star appearance.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:31 PM   #71
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

FOOLtv, cool.

42-40 isn't half bad right now. That damn expansion team in first place sucks though.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #72
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

At second base in the Continental League, the starter will be Ben Harris of the Baltimore Terrapins. He's making his third all-star appearance this year. He's hitting .325 with 13 HRs and 50 RBI on the season.

"Has to be one of the best game, don't you think?"

Oh yeah, no question about it. I bet he'll be glad to get out of Baltimore one of these days and get on a team that'll give him a chance to win and surely those teams out there would love to have him while he's still one of the standouts in the game.

Over in the Republic League? Well, it was a close vote, but in a margin that was razor thing, the fans selected Seattle's Raymond Carpenter as the second base starter for the RL.

He's making his fifth all-star appearance after sitting out all of last year due to contract disputes and then having "family issues" that led to him shutting down at midseason. He inked a big deal with the Supersonics in the off-season, the only club that seemed to be interested in him at big money. But enough of that.

Carpenter has been sawing off the competition, hitting .313 with 8 HRs and 33 RBI this year. He's also got 12 steals and a slugging percentage of .481 and just four errors on the year.

"That's what I'd call a complete player!"

Yeah, me too. Next up, the hot corner. Third base after a commercial break.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #73
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Now, let's talk third base.

Over in the Republic League, the selectee was none other than Rick Inman of the St. Petersburg Pelicans.

"Now here's an interesting guy. Good as he's been in this league, never made an all-star team before. Played for all of those great Charleston teams."

Yeah, yeah. And gets dealt to the expansion club, seems relegated to having a great year in a walk year, get out of there and move on. But nope. What does he do? He goes and has a monster year and the darn expansion team is in first place?!

"I know, what are the odds. When you and I were coming up, expansion teams lost games and now, they think they can compete. Crazy."

Well anyway, Rick is having a bang up year. He's got 12 homers and 42 RBI on the year, hitting at a .290 clip.

How about in the CL? Speaking of Charleston, none other than Ed Manning is the selectee at third base for that league.

"He's having a great year. Hitting .341 with 17 homers and 55 RBI. Even has six steals."

Yeah, still one of the most solid at the position. It's his second straight selection to the all-star game, too.

"A real rising star in this league."
Old 07-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #74
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Raymond Carpenter is a household name now. Well in my house, to me only. It's great he made the All-Star game though.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #75
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Now, let's get down to the shortstop position.

In the CL, we have Adam Stanley of the Ann Arbor Wolverines. He's in his second year with the club, last year he was signed via CRE. You know what that is?

"No, what is it?"

It lets a team spend a lot of money on a guy without it being counted under their salary cap. But he's gotta be a rookie.

"Well, that's stupid. Why do they have that rule?"

Well, they've gotten rid of it now.

"Good, the veterans ought to get the money. Not the unproven rookies."

But about Stanley.

"Yeah, about him. He's hitting .294 with 11 home runs and 54 RBI this year."

A real solid guy and a star on the rise. It's his first all-star appearance.

Over in the RL, we have Texas shortstop Chris Allen who is hitting .302 with 10 homers and 50 RBI this year. "He's won two best nine awards, but this is his first all-star selection."
Old 07-12-2008, 01:49 PM   #76
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Now, for the RL outfield!

Rio Grande's Ramiro Vargas is making his fourth all-star appearance. He's hitting .342 with 5 HR and 37 RBI.

Rio Grande's Jose Rivera is hitting .306 with 9 HRs and 55 RBI this year. It's his first all-star appearance.

Valdosta's Rick Hamilton is hitting .313 with 7 HRs and 35 RBI and is making his first all-star appearance.

In the Continental League, we have:

Alfredo Inostrosos of the Brooklyn Brownstones. He's hitting .351 with 12 HRs and 41 RBI this year and his making his second all-star appearance.

Fernando Spindola is the name who is trying to get the term "dola" named in his honor! The 24-year old star is making his 5th all-star appearance. He's hitting .338 this year with 16 HRs and a whopping 71 RBI so far this year. He's on pace to reach 130+ for the first time since '63.

Jeremy O'Herlihy of Hartford is making his third appearance. He's hitting .284 with 14 HRs and 56 RBI. The stolen base maven has 49 steals this year, too.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #77
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Good stuff, Keep it up, DC.

And how in the hell are you in first? Sheesh!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-12-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #78
Tellistto
College Prospect

Hmm, demote Spindola out of the #4 to the #5 and suddenly he's a stud again, go figure.

Tell

Hattrick - Fizzle United (222968)
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #79
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Now for the best part of the day, the pitching selections!

In the Continental League, the rotation goes like this:

Benny Myers of the Hartford Harpooners. The 1964 RL MVP is shining in his first season in Hartford, having a career year. He's 12-2 with a 2.03 ERA in 18 starts this year. He's on pace for a career high 23 wins. This is his third all-star appearance.

He'll be joined by Charles Nelson his teammate in Hartford who is making his fourth all-star appearance. "Warlock" is 8-4 with a 2.82 ERA this year and has the fans in Hartford thinking that this might be the year they go all the way.

Steve Dooley is making his fourth all star appearance. The New York hurler is rebounding in a big way this year. He's 11-1 with a 2.70 ERA this year, helping the defending champions aim towards a repeat.

Alberto Vargo of the Ann Arbor Wolverines is making his first all-star appearance. He's 9-4 with 2.79 ERA this year. The 23-year old southpaw is helping the Wolverines make their mark in the CL this year.

Gabriel Prado is adjusting well in his second season in Hartford. He's making his fifth all-star appearance. He's 11-3 this year with a 2.85 ERA this season.

Now, for the Republic League's top hurlers.

Colorado's Pablo Gonzalez might only be 10-7 with a 2.51 ERA, but he's got 14 quality starts and is making his second all-star appearance this year.

Texas hurler Joe Morris is following up last year's MVP season with his third all-star appearance in his first year down south. He's 9-5 with a 2.65 ERA this year.

St. Petersburg starter James Lawrence is making his third all-star appearance. He's 10-8 with a 2.86 ERA this year and is on pace for 19 wins, which would be a career high.

He'll be joined by teammate Bob Halpin, who is enjoying being out of Chicago by putting up career numbers. He's 9-6 this year with a 3.23 ERA and is on pace for career highs in wins and strikeouts. This is his first all-star appearance.

Rounding out the starting five for the Republic League is another Pelican. This time it's Tim Hines, a rookie. He's 9-3 with a 3.07 ERA. The 27-year old is happy to have gotten a start. He won 54 games in three years down in the minors, proving that he was more than ready for the big time, but it took an expansion team for him to get his start.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:44 PM   #80
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Now here is the Republic League bullpen selections:

Matt Wood, Valdosta
4th All-Star appearance
(4-2, 16 Saves, 1.54 ERA)

Carlos Medina, St. Petersburg
1st All-Star appearance
(1-1, 27 saves, 2.01 ERA)

Petro Vis, Colorado
1st All-Star appearance
(3-0, 1 save in 27 appearances, 2.15 ERA)

Here are the Continental League bullpen selections:

Marvin Lott, New York
1st all-star appearance
(4-3, 3 saves in 28 appearances, 1.66 ERA)

Brenton Sims, Boston
1st all-star appearance
(1-1, 1 save in 21 appearances, 2.30 ERA)

Ivan Lopez, Long Beach Island
(3-2, 2.06 ERA in 25 appearances)
Old 07-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #81
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Wow I did not expect Brooklyn to be leading at the all star break. I wonder if playing in a pitchers park has boosted my sub-par staff's morale.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #82
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Nice, 2/3 of the RL outfield is from Rio Grande. And I bet that 9 HR from Rivera leads my team. New ballpark dimensions FTW.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:48 PM   #83
Tellistto
College Prospect

Nice to see Steve Dooley earning his money. Marvin stepping up this season too.

Tell

Old 07-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #84
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Nice, 2/3 of the RL outfield is from Rio Grande. And I bet that 9 HR from Rivera leads my team. New ballpark dimensions FTW.

Actually, I did a little research.

Tyler Reilly (15) 9 at home
Andres Aguilera (10) 7 at home
Tyler Buck (10) 7 at home

Rivera is fourth with 9. 4 at home
Old 07-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #85
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Hovering around .500, I'll take it if we can keep it up. Nice to see we got SOMEBODY in the All-Star game...

And we'll love having the extra $5mil in TV revenue next season, assuming it doesn't all go to revenue sharing...
Old 07-12-2008, 02:54 PM   #86
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Nice to see Gonzalez continue to do well.

I have a lot of good relievers, and I probably would have picked at least three other names before I thought Vis for the All Star team. Good for him.

Any chance of revealing the hitting reserves? Or any othe rplayers not already named? Or did I miss that? No need to do a writeup on reserves. I would just post the full teams.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #87
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Hovering around .500, I'll take it if we can keep it up. Nice to see we got SOMEBODY in the All-Star game...

And we'll love having the extra $5mil in TV revenue next season, assuming it doesn't all go to revenue sharing...

You love the TV revenue (which I didn't even think about). I love the increased gate money. I took full advantage of being maxed out there in popularity and market size. I hope my team can make it stick.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #88
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Well, yeah, I bumped ticket prices up too, but the team has to do at least decently well for that to count.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #89
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Now, here are the all-star reserves for the CL:

C Jose Lopez, Ann Arbor
1st all-star selection
(.298/11 HRs/ 54 RBI)

1B Theodore Reid, Ann Arbor
3rd all-star selection
(.347/ 14 HRs 50 RBI)

2B Nathan Adams, Brooklyn
2nd all-star selection
(.281/17 HR/ 67 RBI)

3B Warren Lewis, Hartford
1st all-star selection
(.351/5 HRs/ 29 RBI)

OF Noah Wakeling, Boston
1st all-star selection
(.322/13 HRs/ 43 RBI)

OF Mike Tomlinson, New York
2nd all-star selection
(.308/7 HRs/ 24 RBI)

IF Patrick Perkins, Boston
3rd all-star selection
(.295/21 HR/ 65 RBI)

SP Scott Townsend, Brooklyn
1st all-star selection
(10-4, 4.65 ERA in 17 starts)

SP Keith Erickson, Brooklyn
1st all-star selection
(9-5, 3.63 ERA in 17 starts)

CL Rudko Perisic, Ann Arbor
2nd all-star selection
(2-0, 21 saves, 2.25 ERA)

(I forgot these two...)

OF Curt McConnell, Brooklyn
3rd all-star selection
(.255/16 HR/60 RBI)

C Keith Bond, Boston
1st all-star selection
(.322/3 HR/ 25 RBI)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-12-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:01 PM   #90
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Revenue sharing is turned off as of this season. I thought it was sorta silly for a league like this. We'll be bumping the cash maximum to $25 million next year, too.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #91
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, yeah, I bumped ticket prices up too, but the team has to do at least decently well for that to count.

Even if they don't do well, it will be a month or two before you see it at the gate. The game doesn't react too fast to that, from what I have seen in the past (nor should it, doesn't move fast in RL either). Even a bad season should get good gate revenue this year. Next year is a whole other matter.

And, yes, if your team is doing solidly, then you can keep it up all season.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #92
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Actually, I did a little research.

Tyler Reilly (15) 9 at home
Andres Aguilera (10) 7 at home
Tyler Buck (10) 7 at home

Rivera is fourth with 9. 4 at home

Hmm, and I was confusing Rivera's power numbers in my head with someone else's. He is actually doing better then normal for HRs so far. Reilly is hitting at a faster pace then he did in his first year for us. Aguilera is about normal, 20+ HR guys. Buck is getting another shot playing for us, this year full time at 3B, so I wait to see his whole numbers.

Maybe the stadium is having a different effect then I thought it would. I wait to see what happens....
Old 07-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #93
Tellistto
College Prospect

Really looking forward to seeing how the rest of my team has performed.

Tell

Old 07-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #94
JeeberD
General Manager

Two All Star starters and another player tied for the league lead in homers and we're below .500? Argh...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #95
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Now, here are the all-star reserves for the RL:

1B Heath Palmer, Valdosta
6th all-star appearance
(.335/8 HR/ 36 RBI)

C Ralph Nicholson, Seattle
5th all-star appearance
(.323/8 HR/ 33 RBI)

OF Dave Myers, Chicago
4th all-star appearance
(.252/ 17 HR/ 50 RBI)

2B Christian Larsen, Colorado
5th all-star appearance
(.317/9 HR/ 36 RBI)

3B Jerry Matthews, Texas
3rd all-star appearance
(.255/16 HR/ 49 RBI)

IF Cristo Farias, El Paso
2nd all-star appearance
(.265/19 HR/51 RBI)

OF John Donovan, St. Petersburg
1st all-star appearance
(.271/19 HR/54 RBI)

C Stanford Jones, Chicago
2nd all-star appearance
(.301/6 HR/30 RBI)

OF Edgardo Reyes, Valdosta
1st all-star appearance
(.280/7 HR/ 33 RBI)

MR Jose Muniz, Texas
1st all-star appearance
(8-1, 3.63 ERA in 21 appearances)

SP Patrick Bentley, Valdosta
2nd all-star appearance
(8-4, 3.96 ERA, 95 strikeouts)

SP Doug Pitts, Rio Grande
1st all-star appearance
(6-3, 3.60 ERA, 126k in 130 innings)
Old 07-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #96
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

All I gotta say is, even with all of the statistical data in the world, all-star selection is hard business.

But I made sure every team had at least one person and it wasn't really all that hard to do. But making the final cuts is the most difficult work.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #97
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
All I gotta say is, even with all of the statistical data in the world, all-star selection is hard business.

But I made sure every team had at least one person and it wasn't really all that hard to do. But making the final cuts is the most difficult work.

Wow, didn't realize you picked them yourself. Thanks, DC, that must have been a lot of hard work.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #98
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Because I'm a nice guy and a benevolent commissioner (and because I appreciate the comments and chatter in the season thread on a Saturday) I've decided to upload a file for you all to view. I'm going to keep going, of course, but at least you can look over your team and see how things have been going to this point.

Hopefully, that's something you all will appreciate.

I'll let you know when it's on the server.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #99
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Wow, didn't realize you picked them yourself. Thanks, DC, that must have been a lot of hard work.

I used VORP as the main determinant. I did use human judgment in a few rare cases (for instance, Dave Myers was a reserve over a rookie teammate who probably should've gotten the nod.) but overall I think you'll find that the guys who were selected were the most deserving.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #100
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Because I'm a nice guy and a benevolent commissioner (and because I appreciate the comments and chatter in the season thread on a Saturday) I've decided to upload a file for you all to view. I'm going to keep going, of course, but at least you can look over your team and see how things have been going to this point.

Hopefully, that's something you all will appreciate.

I'll let you know when it's on the server.

Heh...I certainly will. Definitely want to look things over.