Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Weekday League (FOWL)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

AI teams.

Right now, I've got all 32 teams on human control. The primary reason for this is that I'm not willing to cross-reference the 1 and 2 year signings against a list of like 15 AI teams. There are two major downsides to this:

1. Too many solid starter veterans are available in FA at cheap prices.
2. The first AI team to play in the preseason signs the 53 best unsigned players, so the other 15 or so AI teams are *horrid*--far worse than they'd be if the talent were split around during the offseason.

There are downsides, though, to letting the AI run the teams.

1. They'll sign the fake draftees to real contracts, including paying 1.1 money to the crap punter that gets slotted there, even.
2. We'll have to monitor FA signings as a league and report any human signings of short deals.

Thoughts?

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'm all for the AI teams actually managing their rosters.

Are you still using the utility for checking the signings of less than 3 years? It could check for AI control, and/or if you had a web page doing this you could check for AI control directly in the database. Shouldn't be hard to add it to the transactions page.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
TTWS
Mascot

The way its done now is great.

Why worry? Works great the way it is and regardless of 1 computer team getting first dibs on all free agents, they all suck! The point about vets being underpaid, we the bidder decide market value so who cares, and if some still do care, bid more for those guys.
TTWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Subby
lolzcat

I think there is a glut of 50/50 guys that wouldn't exist if we had the AI involved in bidding. Right now it isn't that hard to build a good team.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Subby
lolzcat

Unless you run Indianapolis.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Stick with how it is and suck in more human owners, i says.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I'm all for the AI teams actually managing their rosters.

Are you still using the utility for checking the signings of less than 3 years? It could check for AI control, and/or if you had a web page doing this you could check for AI control directly in the database. Shouldn't be hard to add it to the transactions page.
There's no utility for checkign for signings less than 3 years. I was just manually inspecting those. You're right that I *could* check for human ownership, but keeping up the owner list just isn't likely to happen. It hasn't up to now. I have to be realistic here. If someone else wants to take that on, then they're more than welcome to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTWS View Post
Why worry? Works great the way it is and regardless of 1 computer team getting first dibs on all free agents, they all suck! The point about vets being underpaid, we the bidder decide market value so who cares, and if some still do care, bid more for those guys.
That's not the problem. The problem is that I'm bored because I've figured out how to build a roster by just spending a bunch of money on the important positions, and then signing good-enough cheap players everywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I think there is a glut of 50/50 guys that wouldn't exist if we had the AI involved in bidding. Right now it isn't that hard to build a good team.
Bingo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Stick with how it is and suck in more human owners, i says.
This is ideal, but is it really doable?
Old 11-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
TheMeat
n00b

I think it'd be good if the AI actually managed their teams. How best to deal with that....

Who knows. With the sim schedule the way it is, just threatening to release a player signed to a 1 or 2 year deal would throw a little wrench into the plans of other players bidding on that guy...

A major point is to try and motivate recruitment of course, but in the meantime... Maybe turning the AI teams to CPU control just for the Pre-TC sim? Would that do anything?
Owner/GM of the soon to be awesome Fort Worth Fury of the IHOF

TheMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #9
TheMeat
n00b

As far as the draftee signings, is there any way to make a utility to just delete all the draft picks instead of picking players?
Owner/GM of the soon to be awesome Fort Worth Fury of the IHOF

TheMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
There's no utility for checkign for signings less than 3 years. I was just manually inspecting those. You're right that I *could* check for human ownership, but keeping up the owner list just isn't likely to happen. It hasn't up to now. I have to be realistic here. If someone else wants to take that on, then they're more than welcome to do it.

Why not do it with the transactions web page? The database tracks human owners, it's a field in the Team table. If you switch to allowing AI control, you're updating this field for all teams anyway. Just add something to the transactions page that highlights signings under 3 years during FA1.

Of course that assumes you're willing to retroactively punish folks. If not, then you need a utility to run right after running the sim.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:46 AM   #11
Sef0r
n00b

I say we just get these new owners in and then bite the bullet for 2039 with AI control enabled.

See what happens this season and if it works out okay, lets continue. If not, oh well.
Sef0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
This is ideal, but is it really doable?

I dunno. Is there any sort of recruiting plan? Seems like a post in the owners forums of a few leagues and maybe even one general post here could round up more owners, but you guys know better than I. I'm relatively new to this league.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #13
Sef0r
n00b

Ben,

What do you feel about trading all 2039 draft picks of the AI teams to current Human controlled teams? Not all to just 1 team, 7 picks from each AI team to each Human team.

thoughts?
Sef0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #14
QuikSand
lolzcat

I gave the recruiting thread from a few months ago a bump, maybe that will help drag in a few new faces. Someone clean off the kitchen table, mmmkay?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:20 AM   #15
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sef0r View Post
Ben,

What do you feel about trading all 2039 draft picks of the AI teams to current Human controlled teams? Not all to just 1 team, 7 picks from each AI team to each Human team.

thoughts?
"Solutions" that mean "more work for Ben every season" aren't going to work here. If someone else wants to take over as commish and implement something like this, I'd be willing to step down. Keep in mind that my entire reason for starting this thread is that I'm a bit bored with the league as it is right now. It's going to be hard for me to find the motivation to undertake a significant amount of extra work every season in hopes that it *might* remove the ennui.

I can look into Greg's idea. That looks like a one-time fix, pretty much. Greg, do you know off the top of your head where that info is located? I'm not seeing it anywhere obvious, such as fof_teams...

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-24-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:05 AM   #16
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I can look into Greg's idea. That looks like a one-time fix, pretty much. Greg, do you know off the top of your head where that info is located? I'm not seeing it anywhere obvious, such as fof_teams...

There's a human control field on one of the tables. Hang on, let me check in the schema in my install folder...

You have GOT to be kidding me. How lazy was I that I never put that field into the table? It's supposed to be on fof_teams. Sigh.